PDA

View Full Version : NHS dismisses paleo as a "fad diet".

Darryl Shaw
05-10-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm sure you've all seen the news about the recently published study that made claims regarding the health benefits of a paleo diet (link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1938069/Eat-like-a-caveman-for-a-healthy-heart.html)), well there's a critique of the study on the UK's National Health Service site that you might all find interesting.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/05May/Pages/Cavemanfaddiet.aspx

Opinions?

Mike ODonnell
05-10-2008, 06:43 AM
High drop out rate was their biggest gripe...than and people only eating 1500 calories. They ate too little...and no diet is any good if you can't stick with it.

Darryl Shaw
05-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Agreed, too few calories and a poorly controlled study but what bugged me was the headline "Caveman fad diet" when it should have read "Low Calorie Diets Result in Weight Loss but are Really Hard to Stick To".

Steven Low
05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
They should measure people's basal metabolic rate and then scale calories to match if they're aiming for weight loss or looking at risk factors. All you have to do is keep the macro ratios the same to get more or less the same effect. What if there was a 5'0" 360 lbs man trying to lose weight and a 6'0" 360 lbs man? With both on 1500 kcal there's a HUGE difference.

Most of the nutritional studies coming out nowadays are just crap. Literally.

Mike ODonnell
05-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Agreed, too few calories and a poorly controlled study but what bugged me was the headline "Caveman fad diet" when it should have read "Low Calorie Diets Result in Weight Loss but are Really Hard to Stick To".

You have too much faith in the national media for educated, scientific, unbiased articles......once in a while they get it right....but for the most part it's just anything that causes controversy...as that is what sells....

$10 the person who wrote the article is overweight and loves their carbs....

Patrick Donnelly
05-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Not only is Paleo a fad diet, but it's an old fad that people are trying to bring back for some reason. C'mon now. It died out, like, ten thousand years ago.

Derek Weaver
05-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I was just reading through Dr. Eades archives and one of the commenters was talking about Dr. Blackburn and Jane Brody...

Study after study advocates low, lower, lowish carb intake, but the carb fundamentalist groups just get louder and louder.

Similar thing here with the "Fad"

Will Moore
05-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't understand why they consumed only 1500 calories per day. Nobody ever said Paleolithic people consumed such a meager daily calorie total...they most certainly didn't or they wouldn't have survived. Also, why is it that those who stuck with the study only lost 5 lbs. in 3 weeks at 1500 kcal per day? If I ate 1500 kcal per day for 3 weeks, I would probably lose 20 lbs. and be in the hospital....literally!

Darryl Shaw
05-12-2008, 05:31 AM
You have too much faith in the national media for educated, scientific, unbiased articles......once in a while they get it right....but for the most part it's just anything that causes controversy...as that is what sells....

$10 the person who wrote the article is overweight and loves their carbs....

No, I'm a skeptic and I have absolutely no faith in reports on nutritional studies that make it into the national media media. I actually agree with the National Health Services criticisms of the study but I expected a more impartial conclusion on the possible merits of a paleolithic diet given that the study was of such poor quality it didn't really prove anything.

Darryl Shaw
05-12-2008, 05:38 AM
I don't understand why they consumed only 1500 calories per day. Nobody ever said Paleolithic people consumed such a meager daily calorie total...they most certainly didn't or they wouldn't have survived. Also, why is it that those who stuck with the study only lost 5 lbs. in 3 weeks at 1500 kcal per day? If I ate 1500 kcal per day for 3 weeks, I would probably lose 20 lbs. and be in the hospital....literally!

The participants in the study were medical students so they probably drank an extra 1000 Kcals every night and didn't record it in their food diaries.

Chris Longley
05-13-2008, 01:43 AM
More importantly, a high dropout rate suggests that there is something about the diet that makes six out of 20 people disinclined to complete a three-week study.

Lack of willpower?

Seriously, if you're going to take people who aren't into the whole paleo idea and throw them in at the deep end, they're bound to struggle with keeping on track.

To me its a no-brainer that Paleo is the way to go. How can a diet comprised entirely of nutrient dense food be a bad thing?

I don't need a study to tell me that scrapping the processed crap and empty foods from my diet is going to make me healthier and I'm certainly not going to listen to an article that says the opposite based on one poorly designed study.

Derek Simonds
05-13-2008, 09:25 AM
I was going to post this link sooner just have been busy. This is the perfect place for it. Apparently the authors of this study didn't cross check it with the greatest bastion of diet knowledge Men's Health ;) Here is a link to an article they just sent out about the Paleo Diet.

http://tinyurl.com/3rphr5

Mike ODonnell
05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I was going to post this link sooner just have been busy. This is the perfect place for it. Apparently the authors of this study didn't cross check it with the greatest bastion of diet knowledge Men's Health ;) Here is a link to an article they just sent out about the Paleo Diet.

http://tinyurl.com/3rphr5

link is about grilling out?

Men's Health.....yeah, stopped reading that years ago...couldn't handle the stench of all the cologne ads anyways....they still pushing Turbelence Training and the Abs Diet? Shocker if they dismiss anything that is not published and sold by them....would be bad for business.

Tim Donahey
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Human life >10,000 years ago was such a fad. ;)