PDA

View Full Version : Paleo w/o stove or microwave

Jon Chacon
05-14-2008, 08:26 AM
I have been strictly following the paleo diet successfully for about two weeks and intend to continue. However, I will soon be in a living situation where I do not have access to a microwave or a stove, but do have a refrigerator.

I am not so concerned about the fruits, veggies, and nuts/seeds obviously, but does anyone have some good suggestions for variety in my meats and ways of preparing them? I know canned tuna will have to be on the list and maybe some deli meats, but I'm lost for thought after that. I understand that the paleo diet calls for unprocessed meat, but I may have to bite the bullet on this one for the next few months. I'm on a fairly tight budget as well so please keep this in mind.

Michael Hill
05-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I am assuming you have access to a plug. If that is the case buy a crockpot and this grill. You can cook almost anything with those. I have one and it is top notch (and a lot bigger than it looks), well worth the money.

WFS

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/srch/index.cfm?words=breville+grill

Dave Van Skike
05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
George Foreman baby....Got one as a gift and kinda smirked...looked cheezy.

I proceeded to use it nearly everyday since.

Jay Cohen
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Coleman double grill, white gas or propane, about 60 bucks Wal Mart.

Rob Harris
05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
George Foreman baby....Got one as a gift and kinda smirked...looked cheezy.

I proceeded to use it nearly everyday since.

Cosign. But get the BIG one.

Jon Chacon
05-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks all. I'm pretty sure I can make one of those work. :)

josh everett
05-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but ii'm pretty sure paleo-lithic times did not include stoves and or microwaves.:)

Patrick Donnelly
05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I just saw how cheap those Foreman grills are... Why don't I have one?

I'll cook pretty much anything that doesn't involve and oven... Grilling, jerky dehydrating, nut butter mixing, microwave eggs... I don't even know why I avoid the oven so much.

sarena kopciel
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Foremans are about 20$ these days for the small ones without bells and whistles! Crockpots too! Both are worthwhile purchases. Crockpots are amazing as you can prep food the night before, plug in in the morning and voila a fresh aroma and hot cooked food when ya come home! And only 1 thing to wash.

I have been putting in poultry or some sort of meat with veggies, herbs and s/t even coconut milk! YUM

Eva Claire Synkowski
05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
what about just a counter top electric skillet? i use mine almost every day.

Dave Van Skike
05-14-2008, 06:54 PM
what about just a counter top electric skillet? i use mine almost every day.

foreman's are fast and easy to clean. that said you can get an elec skillet for about zero dollars at goodwill.

Jon Chacon
05-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Touche Josh

Jon Chacon
05-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Microwave eggs?

Darryl Shaw
05-15-2008, 04:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but ii'm pretty sure paleo-lithic times did not include stoves and or microwaves.:)

True they didn't have stoves or microwaves but you can bake or roast food in the embers of an open fire, steam food in a pit below a fire, roast nuts in woven baskets using heated rocks, boil food in wooden bowls or animal skins again using heated rocks, steam food by cooking it wrapped it in leaves etc.

Gant Grimes
05-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Cooking is unnecessary.

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/myhrvold_lions07/images/lion%20cubs%20bloody.jpg

John Alston
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Microwave eggs?

Done it. Gross. Truly ruining a potentially great food.

Jon Chacon
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Gant...that's awesome, but a little to hardcore for me.

Any suggestions for meat now that I officially know all I can use is a microwave?!

Garrett Smith
05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Depends on the meat you get. I get good grass-fed lamb leg steaks, all I do to it is EVOO and herbs/spices...

Or there is always liver tabs (http://www.beverlyinternational.com/products/ultra40.html)...25 days of 20 tabs (56g of protein!) for ~$35US...

Jay Cohen
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Cooking is unnecessary.

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/myhrvold_lions07/images/lion%20cubs%20bloody.jpg

What a wonderful day in the park.

Darryl Shaw
05-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Cooking is unnecessary.

The bioavailability of many nutrients is increased by cooking which means less food needs to be eaten; an important consideration for people eating a paleolithic diet containing a lot of fibrous plant foods.
For this reason if I was in the OP's position I'd buy a steamer rather than a George Foreman grill as it would allow me to cook my meat or fish wrapped in foil with some herbs and olive oil while my veggies steamed.

Gant Grimes
05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
The bioavailability of many nutrients is increased by cooking which means less food needs to be eaten; an important consideration for people eating a paleolithic diet containing a lot of fibrous plant foods.
For this reason if I was in the OP's position I'd buy a steamer rather than a George Foreman grill as it would allow me to cook my meat or fish wrapped in foil with some herbs and olive oil while my veggies steamed.

Did you really think I was directing the original poster to go to the Serengetti and bury his face in a freshly killed wildebeast?

You suck at joke (but you do make a very good point about steaming the veggies).