PDA

View Full Version : benefits of CF vs. o-lifting

Rachel Izzo
05-15-2008, 05:44 AM
So this has been bothering me for some time. I've been doing CF for 3ish years, always on and off in the lacrosse season, but have been going at it steadily, and have always loved it. I recently participated in my first o-lifting meet, and found that I had a (potential) talent and love for the sport. I'm now training with a former Olympic alternate. But the problem is: no crossfit, no running, no cardio whatsoever. And my question is this: is purely o-lifting enough activity? Since I love all activity, it's going to be SO hard for me to not do anything else (although I will have lacrosse twice a week) ... is it really that detrimental to do some light stuff (CF or running) on the side? If it is, why is that? What's better for you? Will it be bad if I commit to purely o-lifting? What are the benefits of doing just O-lifting?

Sorry for the longish post, but it's been nagging at me for some time!

John Alston
05-15-2008, 07:12 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2144/2494938592_4a14fba395.jpg

Steve Liberati
05-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Might want to give the CA WOD a shot. Combines the best of both worlds. Coach Greg is the operator behind the programming so you know its top notch.

I would think O-Lifting by itself is not enough physical activity if your looking for an overall high level of general fitness. While you certainly will see the benefits of greater power and strength from O-lifting, done by itself, other fitness skills will most likely drop off (namely metabolic conditioning and stamina).

But I suppose incorporating O-lifting into your overall training regimen is a great strategy.

Allen Yeh
05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I'd like to echo what Steve said about the CA WOD, I'm currently NOT coing it because of a injury. Take a look at EC's log, Leo's log and Gants log. All 3 of them doing Oly + metcon's plus other stuff and they do pretty well.

There will come a point if you do well enough in Oly that you may want to think about dropping all metcon's. Greg is a great example of this, he used to be a CrossFit stud, one of the top guys in most of the workouts. Since picking up Oly and wanting to compete in Oly, I'm pretty sure he's given up all metcon's at this point.

As an competetive athlete I'd say give the CA WOD a try and see how it goes for a few weeks to see what you should add/subtract.

Steven Low
05-15-2008, 08:32 AM
As I posted on CF forums... if you're looking to get to national and possibly world level then excessive GPP will hinder your development of power. So if you really want to focus on this, you'd be best off cutting back and only doing the amount of GPP in the CA WODs because anything else is just gonna hurt your Oly development.

Well, first you should decide overall what you want to do.

John Alston
05-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, first you should decide overall what you want to do.

That's the first step. Awesome like Huster in the pic I posted above or not - that's the issue.

Dave Van Skike
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Focus is key to Karate.

Mike ODonnell
05-15-2008, 12:28 PM
White men CAN jump!

Rachel Izzo
05-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Might want to give the CA WOD a shot. Combines the best of both worlds. Coach Greg is the operator behind the programming so you know its top notch.

I would think O-Lifting by itself is not enough physical activity if your looking for an overall high level of general fitness. While you certainly will see the benefits of greater power and strength from O-lifting, done by itself, other fitness skills will most likely drop off (namely metabolic conditioning and stamina).

But I suppose incorporating O-lifting into your overall training regimen is a great strategy.

What's the site for that?

Yeah I'm not sure what I want to do, that's part of the issue. Really want to get better at the lifting, but also want to be in over all good shape. It'll take some time to think about. I'm also going to be doing 2 days of lacrosse, so I'm not going to be doing 0 aerobic activity, but just probably won't be doing CF.

Mike ODonnell
05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
What's the site for that?

Yeah I'm not sure what I want to do, that's part of the issue. Really want to get better at the lifting, but also want to be in over all good shape. It'll take some time to think about. I'm also going to be doing 2 days of lacrosse, so I'm not going to be doing 0 aerobic activity, but just probably won't be doing CF.

Look up at the top left of the page....and click on the Catalyst Athletics logo...

Eva Claire Synkowski
05-15-2008, 05:25 PM
lax a couple times a week well be good enough to keep up your metabolic conditioning. so if you really want to work the olifts - here's another vote for the CA wod. i followed it for 4+ months and only stopped b/c i felt i had some glaring weaknesses to attend to - but it's great programming and i think i hit a pr in every lift that comes to mind.

also, if you feel you must add more metcon then lax - greg's metcon's are great - short, tough, but won't leave you wrecked for the next lifting cycle.

sarena kopciel
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Rachel the thing is I thought you have plans to be working with an Oly coach, so why dont you speak to him about these questions? Also you will not be able to too much over your practices as you will feel terribly fatigued. And do not forget rest and recovery are key in gaining strength and peaking in all your lifts!

Rachel Izzo
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
lax a couple times a week well be good enough to keep up your metabolic conditioning. so if you really want to work the olifts - here's another vote for the CA wod. i followed it for 4+ months and only stopped b/c i felt i had some glaring weaknesses to attend to - but it's great programming and i think i hit a pr in every lift that comes to mind.

also, if you feel you must add more metcon then lax - greg's metcon's are great - short, tough, but won't leave you wrecked for the next lifting cycle.

yeah that's what I was hoping, that the lax will be enough. i LOVE cf to death, but i probably won't be able to do it on top of OLY and lax.

sarena, my coach is ... i'm not sure if "intimidating" is the right word, but he is. i know his views, have talked to him about it, have heard him say it numerous times: cardio makes you weak. no CF, no running, no cardio if you want to get good at lifting. that's what he says. one of the girls who works out with me (she's REALLY strong) she says she thinks i could do a little bit on the side (CF, lax, etc) but i shouldn't tell sam (my coach) because we all know what he'd say.

so what it really comes down to is what i can handle, because everyone says something different, depending on what their beliefs re:ing fitness are. and i'm still trying to figure that out for myself ...

Steven Low
05-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Your coach is right; if you wanna be good at oly you probably shouldn't do much of anything that has an endurance component at all (beyond the little that is needed like PMenu's GPP).

Rachel Izzo
05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Your coach is right; if you wanna be good at oly you probably shouldn't do much of anything that has an endurance component at all (beyond the little that is needed like PMenu's GPP).

Yeah what it really comes down to is a choice. I guess what I want to know is how far I can push it while doing other activities, and at what point will I HAVE to give up everything else. I mean, would it be bad to give up everything else? Would I need to drop blocks on the zone, because I'd be doing less activity? I'm just so not used to the idea of not doing something aerobic/metcon, it's hard to imagine.

Kevin Perry
05-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Im gonna stick my nose in here and vote for CA WOD

Leo Soubbotine
05-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Rachel - if you can - get your coach to email Danny Camargo - his athletes do CF at our place at the beginning of their cycles and then cut it out once competition is coming up.

dcamargo@sixforsixathletics.com

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2147/2479663304_d1405a4efa_m.jpg
Baker and JT doing "Diane". JT in the back is going to Junior Worlds.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2479668994_ab9ec05cd8.jpg?v=0
Some waiters walking.

If you can't sway your coach to let you do some metcon and can't do some on the side like your friend suggest - then follow Greg E's PerformanceMenu.com workouts!

Steven Low
05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah what it really comes down to is a choice. I guess what I want to know is how far I can push it while doing other activities, and at what point will I HAVE to give up everything else. I mean, would it be bad to give up everything else? Would I need to drop blocks on the zone, because I'd be doing less activity? I'm just so not used to the idea of not doing something aerobic/metcon, it's hard to imagine.
At what point? The sooner the better.

I mean, if you don't want to do it AS your sport you don't have to especially if you don't want to give up your aerobic/metcon. Kinda seems like you already made your choice?

Ben Moskowitz
05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
O-lift
O-lift + Short GPP
O-lift + Lacrosse (fun, but there's a performance compromise and it sounds like your coach might bite you)
Lacrosse + CF-derivative
CF

Pick your end of the spectrum. O-lifting + lacrosse + CrossFit + 540 aerials is not an option.

Another (expensive) GPP option is Kettlebells. The Russians use 'em. I've already read the beef. Whatever.

Rachel Izzo
05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
At what point? The sooner the better.

I mean, if you don't want to do it AS your sport you don't have to especially if you don't want to give up your aerobic/metcon. Kinda seems like you already made your choice?

No I haven't, which is the problem. I love the aerobic/CF stuff, but I'll never "go" anywhere with that. I also love o-lifting, and have the potential to go somewhere with that. But do I give up everything I love to pursue the one interest? Or do I just do everything and be mediocre at it? That's the issue and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure things out.

Leo, I don't think he'll be swayed. He's a pure, 100% o-lifter all around, and I know him too well to try to convince him. But can I email Danny and talk to him?

Ben, as of right now I'm kind of all over the spectrum, just because of the end of school etc. I think once things settle down, i'll be at the o-lifting plus a little lacrosse end of the spectrum, which will hopefully be ok.

Mike ODonnell
05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
But do I give up everything I love to pursue the one interest? Or do I just do everything and be mediocre at it? That's the issue and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure things out.

That's for you to figure out....what will really make you happy? Do you really want to compete or do you just want to have fun with a more expanded selection of activities? Honestly no one can figure that out besides you....but I will say there are plenty of people doing average on many things working day jobs....and less people who are elite and make a name for themselves....so live for no regrets....as once you make your decision there is no looking back. Do what makes you happy, don't do it to impress anyone else.....live your life like no one is paying attention to you.

Rachel Izzo
05-16-2008, 04:34 PM
That's for you to figure out....what will really make you happy? Do you really want to compete or do you just want to have fun with a more expanded selection of activities? Honestly no one can figure that out besides you....but I will say there are plenty of people doing average on many things working day jobs....and less people who are elite and make a name for themselves....so live for no regrets....as once you make your decision there is no looking back. Do what makes you happy, don't do it to impress anyone else.....live your life like no one is paying attention to you.

Well said. I think I'm still trying to figure that out.

Steven Low
05-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Doesn't necessarily have to be mediocre at anything. Just don't pick an endurance, strength or power biased sport.

Rachel Izzo
05-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Doesn't necessarily have to be mediocre at anything. Just don't pick an endurance, strength or power biased sport.

Not that I'm mediocre, but the fact that my passions are all across different areas of athletics makes it challenging to balance it all without compromising one sport for another.

Dave Van Skike
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Not that I'm mediocre, but the fact that my passions are all across different areas of athletics makes it challenging to balance it all without compromising one sport for another.

Can't be done.

There is no such thing as a well rounded and successful athlete. At some point you need to tip the scale one way or another, better yet, kick the scale into little pieces and never look back.

Rachel Izzo
05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Can't be done.

There is no such thing as a well rounded and successful athlete. At some point you need to tip the scale one way or another, better yet, kick the scale into little pieces and never look back.

*sigh* I figured as much. damn I wish my body could do it all ....

Mike ODonnell
05-17-2008, 07:08 AM
*sigh* I figured as much. damn I wish my body could do it all ....

even Bo Jackson didn't play hockey....so "Bo didn't know" everything....

Seriously....if it was that easy there would be no professional athletes....because we would all be there....

Figure what YOU want out of life....and then go for it.

Steven Low
05-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Only way I could see you doing everything is if you joined multiple rec leagues for different sports and/or made CF your sport. If you don't plan on any serious athletic competition aside from like CF games that is.

Rachel Izzo
05-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Only way I could see you doing everything is if you joined multiple rec leagues for different sports and/or made CF your sport. If you don't plan on any serious athletic competition aside from like CF games that is.

that's basically what i do right now, at least for soccer and lacrosse (although I played varsity lacrosse), and then just CF for fun. but now that the o-lifting has come into play, i have to rethink that.

Tom Rawls
05-17-2008, 04:19 PM
You can try the o-lifting for a while. If you discover that you're not satisfied doing it--that you miss running around or that you're not going anywhere with it--you can pick up your old sports.

I find it hard to believe that 6 months or even a year of o-lifting is somehow going to make you forever unfit to return to rec league lax and soccer.

Rachel Izzo
05-17-2008, 04:28 PM
You can try the o-lifting for a while. If you discover that you're not satisfied doing it--that you miss running around or that you're not going anywhere with it--you can pick up your old sports.

I find it hard to believe that 6 months or even a year of o-lifting is somehow going to make you forever unfit to return to rec league lax and soccer.

Good point. My plan was to do it for the summer, see how it goes, go off to college, settle into college life (they don't have an official o-lifting coach where I'm going) and then play it by ear from there.