PDA

View Full Version : What to eat???

William Yundt
05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
One of my friends recently had the Mediator Release Test (MRT) performed and came to me with her results because she is confused. Here are what I assume to be just part of the results:

Reactive (AVOID)
Cabbage
Codfish
Cola nut
FD&C Blue #1
FD&C Green #3
Garlic
Goats milk
Grape
Mustard
Oat
Orange
Pecan
Salmon
Shrimp
Sole
Turkey
Tyramine
Yogurt
Zucchini

Moderately Reactive
Acetaminophen
Amaranti (Grain)
Asparagus
Buckwheat
Candida Albicans
Carob
Cashew
Cheddar cheese
Chicken
Cinnamon
Coconut
Coffee
Dill
Egg
Eggplant
FD&C Yellow #5
Garbanzo bean
Green pepper
Ibruprophen
Lechitin
Lettuce
Oregano
Parsley
Plum
Quinoa
Rice
Sodium Sulfite
Sunflower seed
Turmeric

Now the question is, what is she suppose to eat now? Should she follow the advice of the test and be staying away from the foods listed under the reactive category? Can she avoid the reactive foods and when her gut gets happy again, slowly reintroduce those foods and see what happens? Is the MRT even a credible test?

I'm a little confused too. Personally, I wouldn't know what to do if I had to give up garlic :D

In case you haven't heard of the MRT before, here is a short description:

The Mediator Release Test (MRT) helps us pinpoint which foods and chemicals are causing immune cells to "react" and release "Mediators" into the blood. Mediators are very powerful chemicals such as Histamine, Prostaglandins, Serotonin, Cytokines (and many others), which can have negative effects on our physiology. When intolerant foods are consumed and provoke mediator release in meaningful amounts, they become the actual cause of symptom production experienced by the IBS sufferer.

John Alston
05-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Pork.

Garrett Smith
05-19-2008, 12:54 PM
It's not the food hypersensitivity test I personally use, I use the ALCAT test.

Here's a study I brought up on it: http://nutritionentrepreneurs.org/pdfs/breakfast_jpWilliams_ACG_study_2004-2.pdf

My suggestions:

Go Paleo first.

Definitely avoid the AVOID stuff for six months.

Eliminate the things from the second group for six months that aren't Paleo, are food additives/preservatives, are medications, and/or are foods that she eats on a daily or nearly daily basis (ie. coffee for many people).

The moderately reactive foods will be the first to try re-introducing, one at a time, noting any reactions. Save the AVOID foods for last.

That's what I would do.

William Yundt
05-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Dr. G. That was the type of confirmation I was looking for.