PDA

View Full Version : Questions and (No) Answers

Derek Simonds
05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
That is the title from Jason Ferrugia's latest post. I don't know if any of you catch his posts often. This is quite an interesting one.

http://www.jasonferruggia.com/

Dave Van Skike
05-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Who has greater core strength; a guy who can deadlift 700 pounds or the gymnast who can suspend his body parallel to the ground in mid air on a pair of rings?

Seriously is this a question?

Better question. How long does it take to develop the strenght for the ring trick vs. squatting 700.

Arden Cogar Jr.
05-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Who has greater core strength; a guy who can deadlift 700 pounds or the gymnast who can suspend his body parallel to the ground in mid air on a pair of rings?

Seriously is this a question?

Better question. How long does it take to develop the strenght for the ring trick vs. squatting 700.

Very good point. Apples and oranges. Both equally impressive, IMO.

All the best,
Arden

Steven Low
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
As for the gymnast comment.. the MALTESE or victorian is NOT supposed to be anywhere close to core strength requirement. It's the freakin shoulders man. Fail. Comparing it to something like weighted dips or press would've been better.

Is CNS recovery something that we really need to be so concerned about?

lol.. yeah? Especially if you're training speed work and doing lifting too.

Anyway, I agree with what he's getting at though. Look for ways to increase performance on the field... not just in-the-gym lifting numbers. Simulate play conditions as close as possible. But some of those examples were just pretty poor.

Dave Van Skike
05-21-2008, 08:53 PM
no worries, i've never confused gymnastical trickery with strength work
:D