PDA

View Full Version : Inflammation: Gimme the short version.

Dave Van Skike
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
OK navel gazers... I'm ready to try anything.

Have a contest in August with a lot of overhead pressing. I've had a jacked up left shoulder for about 6 months and and need to pull out all the stops to get it fixed. Am currently doing foam rolling, no bench or overhead pressing, pull-ups, pec stretches and am about ready to try acupuncture.

So, what are the basic nutritional things I can try in order of effectiveness?

I currently eat all the bad stuff, gluten, dairy, nightshades, and lots of beer.

Greg Everett
06-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Scorched-earth Ibuprofen bomb.... 3200mg/day for a few days to kick the shit out of existing inflam and get it back down to a manageable level. During that and following, ice massage directly on the area following some cross-friction massage. Then don't fuck it up again until after the meet. This is my prefered approach and has served me well.

Steven Low
06-01-2008, 05:01 PM
To give what Greg said a particular order from what I've seen:

1. cross friction (possibly art/myofascial depending on what you actually did)
2. *maybe* some light exercise & stretch (again, depending on what it is)
3. ice/ice massage

diet.. obviously may play a big role. +fish oil. -most of the things you listed. -_-

Dave Van Skike
06-01-2008, 05:38 PM
tnx.

ibuprofen carpet bombing commencing shortly. currently i'm a fishoil machine...beer has to go as well i'm sure. i'm unsure about the other stuff, so nutrional quackery is welcome also.

Ice.hmmm. I had given up on that but will take another shot, it's your basic acromial impingement with desk jockey pec tightness, so stretch plus ice is warranted.

Jay Cohen
06-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Have not used it, but novel looking stuff:

http://arthritis.about.com/b/2007/11/11/voltaren-gel-10-things-you-need-to-know.htm

Dave Van Skike
06-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Have not used it, but novel looking stuff:

http://arthritis.about.com/b/2007/11/11/voltaren-gel-10-things-you-need-to-know.htm

gotta love the name... voltaren

Allen Yeh
06-02-2008, 03:34 AM
I've been recently doing the EQI pushups and found that to be better than your standard chest stretches.

Have you tried the band stuff from Dick Hartzell?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nlsXyrlodCI&feature=PlayList&p=52CC8FAEB5731852&index=4

Mike ODonnell
06-02-2008, 08:16 AM
I currently eat all the bad stuff, gluten, dairy, nightshades, and lots of beer.

Sounds like a deficiency in HCL ratios and you need more hindu pushups....or is that a lack of dietary enzymes with probiotics...hold on, let me check my navel.....

Dump the grains/beer...take some fish oil...that and what Greg said above covers it.

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Hindu pushups, check.
greens plus and HCL, check...

did you say something about beer?

Jezzus this is going to suck.

Mike ODonnell
06-02-2008, 09:10 AM
did you say something about beer?

It hurt me to even recommend it....but I can feel the inflammation kick up after a night of "several" beers.....there's always tequila

Steven Low
06-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Codman exercises will probably help if it's impingement. Basically, take some [light] weight and support your body more or less so your torso is horizontal and let your impinged arm make some small circles. Helps to decompress the shoulder area.

Garrett Smith
06-02-2008, 11:56 AM
(looks up from navel)

Of all the things you mentioned you were eating in your first post, I'd go with the nightshades. Biggest bang for the buck in my treatment of pain patients.

If you really do it right, you might not have to worry at all about those other things (at least until you're older and more drastic measures need to be taken).

(resumes looking at navel)

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
(looks up from navel)

Of all the things you mentioned you were eating in your first post, I'd go with the nightshades. Biggest bang for the buck in my treatment of pain patients.

If you really do it right, you might not have to worry at all about those other things (at least until you're older and more drastic measures need to be taken).

(resumes looking at navel)

OK.

What's next after nightshades, cuz frankly I eat potatotes or tomatoes about once every two weeks and not usually by choice, they're just not my thing....except A-1 steak sauce, that is a food group in our house.

Garrett Smith
06-02-2008, 02:12 PM
A-1 steak sauce ED or EOD would be plenty especially if large amounts are taken. There are tomatoes and peppers in it, plenty enough to keep the problem going and exacerbating:

TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), DISTILLED VINEGAR, CORN SYRUP, SALT, RAISIN PASTE, CRUSHED ORANGE PUREE, SPICES AND HERBS, DRIED GARLIC AND ONION, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), XANTHAN GUM.

You won't know if this is the main culprit until all of them are out of your diet. I'd guess that you'd notice significant improvement in two weeks of strict avoidance. This would mean avoiding all paprika in processed meats and anything that says "spices" on an ingredient list.

Curious, do you know your blood type? This is in regards to the nightshade issue specifically...

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2008, 02:22 PM
A-1 steak sauce ED or EOD would be plenty especially if large amounts are taken. There are tomatoes and peppers in it, plenty enough to keep the problem going and exacerbating:

You won't know if this is the main culprit until all of them are out of your diet. I'd guess that you'd notice significant improvement in two weeks of strict avoidance. This would mean avoiding all paprika in processed meats and anything that says "spices" on an ingredient list.

Curious, do you know your blood type? This is in regards to the nightshade issue specifically...

Well, I said I'd try anything. Strict avoidance it is.

potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, cherries, peppers, sweet peppers, chili peppers but not black peppers, paprika, tobacco and petunias,

Damn, I'll miss the petunias. Don't know my blood type, it appears red.

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
also,

tried those Hartzell shoulder stretches today, very good stretch from those, thanks Alan. Will do the push up things tonight.

the codman things are weird, will need to give a go with a little more weight.

Peter who used to post here says the shoudler horn worked for him so I'll try that as well at soem point.

Allen Yeh
06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
RE: EQI Pushups

I've had the best success holding it for 60+ seconds on parallettes that are pretty high off the ground. So I'd say blocks that are 12" would be good.

Garrett Smith
06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Don't forget the Goji/wolf berries and the Cape gooseberries from your list...

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2008, 04:04 PM
RE: EQI Pushups

I've had the best success holding it for 60+ seconds on parallettes that are pretty high off the ground. So I'd say blocks that are 12" would be good.

what's the upside of higher blocks? Is it to sink into a deeper stretch or lessen the back angle..what am I shooting for here?

Allen Yeh
06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
You end up sinking into a depper stretch as you go, (which is of course the point of EQI's). When I would do it on pushup handles, by the end of 90 seconds I'd end up laying on the floor.