PDA

View Full Version : NFL and Fast Food

John Seiler
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Stinking genetic freaks! I know hours of training and practice have something to do with it but this is ridiculous:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Cooley-Zone-Fast-food-does-the-body-good;_ylt=AgQT5ZbzdFnfSgRZkMIZ6.NDubYF?urn=nfl,860 31

Steven Low
06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
It's a well known fact that most elite athletes (football, basketball, gymnastics, etc.) do well in spite of their diets.

Just think what they could accomplish with a good diet. :)

BTW go redskins. lol

Gant Grimes
06-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Three or four of us decided to forget all other foods and have a bacon eating contest.

Damn, I hate the Redskins.

But this guy is pretty funny (and a pretty good writer). Check out his blog for more.

Derek Weaver
06-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Um, Steven. Did you just say go Redskins? Ouch.

Gant, you're right. This guy is pretty good... checking blog now.

Oh, and elite athletes bug me. I even think about a bag of fries and my fitness plummets.

John Seiler
06-05-2008, 05:46 PM
It's a well known fact that most elite athletes (football, basketball, gymnastics, etc.) do well in spite of their diets.

Just think what they could accomplish with a good diet. :)

Yep. He even says as much. I guess 'good enough' is, well, good enough.

Mike ODonnell
06-05-2008, 07:35 PM
FYI.....a $1 Double cheeseburger is close to a Zone ratio (although higher fat).....and they taste sooooo good. Great quick fix if you need one on the road...although I only eat 1/2 the bun and get it without ketchup. I believe it is actually just as high in MUFA as it is in SAT fats too.

Athletes eat junk all the time...but they also burn 6000 calories a day with hours of training and practice and most are under the age of 30....now lets talk about the health of retired athletes 40 and over and we have a whole different conversation...

Steven Low
06-05-2008, 08:16 PM
lol, forgot half you guys are from like south US. anyway, go skins. :D

Regardless, couple years ago I used to eat McD's like 2-3x a week (or other fast food) and well my performance levels weren't shabby or anything. But it's definitely not exactly healthy. I can still eat occasionally without any ill effects although I'm not exactly on strict anything.

Tom Rawls
06-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Mike's got this right, I think.

These guys are just like the garbage incinerators that generate electricity. You put anything in 'em, and they produce power.

Oh, and Steven, a pox on the Deadskins.

Gant Grimes
06-06-2008, 09:23 AM
http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mr_fusion.jpg

Allen Yeh
06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I need one of those in my stomach.

BTW now that my stomach has come into this...if anyone ever makes it on the Singapore. Chili crabs are freaking awesome!

John Seiler
06-09-2008, 11:49 AM
FYI.....a $1 Double cheeseburger is close to a Zone ratio (although higher fat).....and they taste sooooo good. Great quick fix if you need one on the road...

This is truly great news!!! Uh, for when I'm on the road and stuff...

Patrick Donnelly
06-09-2008, 05:52 PM
FYI.....a $1 Double cheeseburger is close to a Zone ratio (although higher fat).....and they taste sooooo good. Great quick fix if you need one on the road...although I only eat 1/2 the bun and get it without ketchup. I believe it is actually just as high in MUFA as it is in SAT fats too.

Just thinking of McDonald's makes me want to vomit. How can anyone eat that crap? The only thing McDonald's has going for it is that it's completely vegetarian - you won't find any meat in their burgers!

Scott Kustes
06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Health and performance are two very different things though. As Mike said, check the health of most elite athletes once they hit 40 and beyond. NFL athletes are likely the worst off, between the poor diets and the overall wear and tear.

Chris Bardwell
06-11-2008, 08:00 AM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/06/23/PH2007062300743.jpg

The guy is hardly ripped to shreds, good shape none the less but could be a whole lot better if he cleaned up his diet. Can't beat Mexican and Pizza when gorging junk though....

Mike ODonnell
06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Just thinking of McDonald's makes me want to vomit. How can anyone eat that crap? The only thing McDonald's has going for it is that it's completely vegetarian - you won't find any meat in their burgers!

In dealing with the general everyday public you will find two things....they will not make time to cook no matter what you tell them to eat...and obesity is rampant in lower income families....so finding realistic solutions to real problems are needed.....if that means finding healthy fast food choices, then it must happen.....as they are not going to spend $9/lb on grass fed beef and organic veggies.

As far as pro athletes....there is a reason they many "blow up" after they retire and put on 50+lbs in like the first year....they eat the same crap and no longer exercise 4 hours a day....that and I bet the rates of heart disease for football linemen over 40yrs old is extremely high.

Did that guy above shave his legs?

Kevin Perry
06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
The post was funny but im sure as MOD said he will be dealing with his share of health problems after he's done because it looks like he is not gonna be putting down the mcdonalds, taco bell, or pizza any time soon.

BTW.. imnot a football fan but I have grown fond of the Panthers :) Boo Redskins

Derek Weaver
06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Mike's right that the lineman have a multitude of health issues. I think I remember seeing a statistic where the average age of death for a retired NFL Player was in his mid 50's. Partially from the lineman's excessive and artifically maintained weight (not meaning steroids, but fast food, lots of it etc.) as well as the pounding their bodies take.

Gant Grimes
06-24-2008, 03:40 PM
We haven't seen anything yet. I remember in the 90s, Nate Newton was a big deal because he was the Cowboys first regular starter to weigh over 300 pounds. In the early 90s, there were only about 10 NFL starters over 300 pounds! Now there are at least 2 300 pounders on every large high school line.

In the next 5 years, Nate, Refrigerator Perry, and the other OGs of largeness will be hitting 50. I fear things will not be pretty.

Dave Van Skike
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Bardwell;32481]http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/06/23/PH2007062300743.jpg

QUOTE]

OMFG...ewww gross he's like, morbidly obese , he'll probabaly die soon......

Get real.

six pack abs do not equal fit and healthty (heroin much?), nor does a little gut mean imminent death and little extra goes a long ways in strength sports.....

OTOH, not many average height guys (5'10-6'1) that are over 275 and "ripped" excluding those undergoing self-diagnosed hormone therapy...not that there's anything wrong with that..just saying...

if you need a big motor for your sport, its going to get a little sloppy

further, the long term health problems of NFL players might stem from a couple of factors...things like repeated heavy blows to major joints, head, neck and back....

Mike ODonnell
06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
OMFG...ewww gross he's like, morbidly obese , he'll probabaly die soon......

Get real.

six pack abs do not equal fit and healthty (heroin much?), nor does a little gut mean imminent death and little extra goes a long ways in strength sports.....

OTOH, not many average height guys (5'10-6'1) that are over 275 and "ripped" excluding those undergoing self-diagnosed hormone therapy...not that there's anything wrong with that..just saying...

if you need a big motor for your sport, its going to get a little sloppy

further, the long term health problems of NFL players might stem from a couple of factors...things like repeated heavy blows to major joints, head, neck and back....

NFL linemen and heart disease....as real as it gets

Linemen also have a higher rate of diabetes, thicker heart walls and a greater rate of obesity and high blood pressure. They're also 54 percent more likely to have enlarged hearts than other NFL players. Among lineman, 36.9 percent had enlarged hearts, compared with 24.5 percent of other retired players.
http://www.livescience.com/healthday/601353.html

Retired National Football League (NFL) linemen -- generally the heaviest players -- are more than twice as likely as the general population to have a syndrome that puts them at risk of heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular (CV) diseases, according to a recent study by the Living Heart Foundation (LHF).
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_65013.html

and
Ex-NFL Linemen at High Risk for HBP & Heart Disease

According to Dr. Arthur Roberts, a retired NFL Quarterback and a respected heart surgeon, NFL linemen develop high blood pressure and heart disease more than twice as often as members of the general US population

While the reasons for this are not entirely clear, Dr. Roberts suspects that a combination of factors may be to blame, including:

* A very high body mass
* Failure to shed weight after retiring

Additionally, Roberts thinks that the variety of injuries that linemen commonly suffer likely lead to lower levels of exercise once their playing days are done, which also increases their risk of obesity related health concerns like high blood pressure, metabolic syndrome, and heart attack.

Research like this seems to suggest that even though many of these professional athletes get regular exercise and are in the prime of life, they still suffer long term effects from being so overweight during their careers.
http://highbloodpressure.about.com/b/2007/01/29/ex-nfl-linemen-at-high-risk-for-hbp-heart-disease.htm

There can be large people who may have low risks for heart disease but I will bet it is directly related to low insulin resistance and low inflammation risk factors....something which these athletes who down tons of carbs, most likely have large insulin resistance, border on diabetes, and have high levels of inflammation from all those years playing/training along with all the other typical risk factors.

I personally could care less about any other guys abs...but if they are unhealthy then it wont matter if they are ripped or overweight...they will still be dead.

Dave Van Skike
06-24-2008, 06:12 PM
MOD. i look at the picture i read the study.

Does this guy look like a morbidly obese insulin resistant pre-diabetic? Yeah there's some really fat lineman.....doesn't mean the average chubby strength or power athlete is going die at 40.

Mike ODonnell
06-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Does this guy look like a morbidly obese insulin resistant pre-diabetic? Yeah there's some really fat lineman.....doesn't mean the average chubby strength or power athlete is going die at 40.

Honestly since a diabetic can be someone 175lbs to 375lbs I can't even guess what his blood work would tell about his health. Risk factors are risk factors, that being that the higher the bodyfat the higher chances of increased inflammation, high fasting insulin, insulin resistance, etc. Is someone with some fat on them going to live to 40? Sure most likely......50? 60? 70?....Quite possibly, especially if the person is active, doesn't have high stress levels, and not eating sugar but maybe just has excess calories causing weight gain...then who knows. Same reason a skinny person who doesn't exercise, has high stress and lives on Jolt Cola may not make it past 50.

Going back to the original topic about linemen and some of the sport guys...they eat like crap thinking they are getting away with it during their playing days...when it could just be a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. An overweight person on whole foods will outlive an overweight person on junk food and processed sugars....mostly due to the insulin resistance factor.

Hell there are some sumo wrestlers who can live well into their 80s....but most have to lose some weight after they are done and still try and keep active. But I find it ironic that most sumo wrestlers have decent blood work even when putting down 20,000 cal a day and working out for 4 hours. Of course they only eat one meal so there might be some sumo form of IF helping to combat insulin resistance. Most of their ill-health starts when they stop competing after 40 and then start eating 3-5x a day, probably because of the non stop insulin spikes and and lack of real exercise.

In the end...isn't life expectancy just a guessing game we play with the genetic factors we are dealt? All we can do is manage the risk factors we know that will decrease life expectancy. Only things we know for sure is that calorie restriction is the only proven way to extend animal life spans in a lab environment.....and high fasting insulin/blood sugar is going to lead to an early grave whenever that may be.....which is dependent on the individual.

Derek Weaver
06-24-2008, 07:06 PM
We haven't seen anything yet. I remember in the 90s, Nate Newton was a big deal because he was the Cowboys first regular starter to weigh over 300 pounds. In the early 90s, there were only about 10 NFL starters over 300 pounds! Now there are at least 2 300 pounders on every large high school line.

In the next 5 years, Nate, Refrigerator Perry, and the other OGs of largeness will be hitting 50. I fear things will not be pretty.

That's a good point Gant. Weren't those Cowboys teams of the 90's all special because it was the first line to average 300 lbs?

I guess the moral of the story is, if you want to live long and healthy, don't be a millionaire athlete who gets there by taking a physical pounding and eating a lot.

Mike ODonnell
06-24-2008, 07:16 PM
I guess the moral of the story is, if you want to live long and healthy, don't be a millionaire athlete who gets there by taking a physical pounding and eating a lot.

or at least you hope they take up healthier habits when they are done....

Dave Van Skike
06-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Well ok....if we're all going to wring our hands over the unhealthy eating habits of the mighty....don't leave these chubbsters out of your prayers.....

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200408/r28120_70009.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-12/06/xinsrc_4421203062038828434537.jpg

herein my firm belief..health and sport aren't on a continuum. Hell, they might not even be branches of the same tree.

Mike ODonnell
06-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Well ok....if we're all going to wring our hands over the unhealthy eating habits of the mighty....don't leave these chubbsters out of your prayers.....

I don't pray for athletes....as it's all a personal choice what we do with our lives and bodies.

That being said there is a hard line to draw....when does size for sport performance become too much? Does the NFL have a right to encourage 360lb linemen to keep going down that road....or does it have a responsibility for the health of it's players? When is it just going to far? How does this go down through college.....high school. When should we worry about the health of younger athletes taking their attitude from what the pros do?

Dave Van Skike
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't pray for athletes....as it's all a personal choice what we do with our lives and bodies.

That being said there is a hard line to draw....when does size for sport performance become too much? Does the NFL have a right to encourage 360lb linemen to keep going down that road....or does it have a responsibility for the health of it's players? When is it just going to far? How does this go down through college.....high school. When should we worry about the health of younger athletes taking their attitude from what the pros do?

ruh roh! philosophy alert....I'm out.

Ask Neal W. whether the NFl has that responsibility or not. As above, there may even be an inverse relationship between health and success in sport.....but as much as this culture loves a winner, on the flip side, it loves its vanity even more..

Mike ODonnell
06-25-2008, 05:55 AM
ruh roh! philosophy alert....I'm out.

Ask Neal W. whether the NFl has that responsibility or not. As above, there may even be an inverse relationship between health and success in sport.....but as much as this culture loves a winner, on the flip side, it loves its vanity even more..

If Neil shows up....I'm out. Ha.

As for society....if someone is a winner...and vain....my goodness....the world is theirs!