PDA

View Full Version : Tim's Workout Log - Decathlon Training

Timothy Holmes
06-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi all!

Starting a log here because I'll probably need feedback on my training and the CA WOD. I'll give you all the low-down on previous training. This is going to be pretty long... Here we go...

I joined the Monash uni gym in a my second year. I followed the CFHQ WOD for a while (March-November 2007), but stopped almost all exercise because I decided to work all summer so that I could pay for this year's uni fees. I haven't gotten back into it proper training, mainly due to lack of motivation and inconsistency.

In April, encouraged by Peter Trapp (of Crossfit Victoria, Australia - mentor and coach), I entered a club decathlon. With very little track & field training and terrible technique, I won (!) with a score of 4124 (http://www.collingwoodharriers.org/result%20pages/07ss/Club%20Decathlon%2007-08.htm). I didn't have a sport at the time (not even fitness), so I decided to give this a go.

My aim is 5600 (Nationals qualifier) at the State Champs very late this year or very early next year.

I now only train twice at the Club (Tuesday - Running/Long Jump/High Jump/Masters' Competition, Sunday - Pole Vault/Discus) because it is off-season/winter. I plan on doing at least 3 running sessions and 2 throwing sessions by myself. And there is conditioning...

I have a bit more than 6 months, so the focus at the moment is GPP (strength and power, in particular). I was thinking of following ME Blackbox, but I'll probably go with the CA WOD, for now at least. Robb's Power Bias articles have some interesting and relevant ideas too.

I'm nursing a bit of an acute back injury - costo-transverse (?) joint sprain, due to decreased scapula stability. I working on it. My serratus anterior on the left is tiny compared to the right...

So, on to the stats:
20, 5'9", 71kg/156#

Recent PRs:
C&J - 75 kg
Snatch - 62.5 kg
OHS - 4 reps @ 65 kg

Clearly, I'm not very strong and I need to be.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to IF and still get enough calories in to me. I'll try it and see how I go. I'm starting today to take a bunch of supplements recommended to me: creatine (PWO & PM), omega 3 (with meals), zinc complex (AM) and magnesium (PM).

I would really love any suggestions on what I should be doing...

(By the way, I have a presently current training on the CFV forum but it's down at the moment.)

Timothy Holmes
06-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Monday - Gym

Warmup: run to gym (800m), 2 rounds (10 o-bar OHS, SS, 16 GHD SU, 16 BE, 10 kipping pullups, 10 pushups)

WOD - CA 071001 (I'm starting from the start because I didn't really want to start midway through a cycle)

Back Squat (rx was 75%x3x5, but didn't know my max, so went for 1RM):
5x50kg, 3x60, 1x75, 1x85, 1x95 (it was past parallel but I don't have full ROM yet)

Snatch Deadlift (3x3)
3x50kg, 3x60kg, 3x70kg

Push Press (5x3)
3x40kg, 3x50, 3x55, 3x60 (f-2), 3x55

TGU Situps (30%BWx5/sidex3, misread or something - I did 5x5...)
5x5x20kg (R,L)

Pullups (3 x max, should have kept the same grip...)
11 (pullup), 8 (R-under,L-over - PV grip), 8 (reverse PV grip)

Rest was between 2.5' and 3'. Workout was still a far bit longer than an hour...

Allen Yeh
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Talk about needing to be good at everything!

A couple of questions:
-So will you be doing 3 running and 2 throwing sessions on top of your 2 days of event training? Will you be following the CA WOD using the exact template given or will you be modifiying it to your needs?
-What type of things aggravate your injury? What type of things are you doing for rehab?
-I don't know that you need a lot of GPP? It seems like you will be doing a ton of stuff already with your event training and running?

Timothy Holmes
06-09-2008, 05:22 AM
Talk about needing to be good at everything!

A couple of questions:
-So will you be doing 3 running and 2 throwing sessions on top of your 2 days of event training? Will you be following the CA WOD using the exact template given or will you be modifiying it to your needs?
-What type of things aggravate your injury? What type of things are you doing for rehab?
-I don't know that you need a lot of GPP? It seems like you will be doing a ton of stuff already with your event training and running?

Exactly. How do I fit it all in?

The physio told me to stretch my upper back and gave two pilates-type
exercises. I've also been doing scapula rows and pushups. The only thing that seems to aggravate it is rope climbing. That, and javelin... :( So, for now it will only be one other throwing day.

I'll need to modify the CA WOD soon because it will most likely become too much. I was planning on doing it in the morning then event-specific training in the afternoon.

Monday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Tuesday - CAWOD (am), training at track (pm)
Wednesday - CAWOD (am), throwing (pm)
Thursday - rest
Friday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Saturday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Sunday - training at the track (am)

Pretty full week. It's unlikely I'll be able to get to the metcon if I don't do it straight after. I guess isn't really necessary with all the other stuff I'm doing, like you say. I like to incorporate some gymnastics for pole vault. Maybe in my warmup?

Timothy Holmes
06-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Monday - Track

Warmup: 2x400m

Sprint drills over 2x20m.

5x150m, walk back
7x100m, walk back

Cool down: 1x400m

Stretching (yeah, I know, but I really need to it)
hip flexor, butterfly, hip extensor, hip extensor/abductor, hurdler, quads, hamstring, split, split-turn to the side, front split, floor split, gastroc, soleus, shin, rear delt, chest, front delt, lats, tricep, bicep

I'll use this as my short stretching routine. Takes about 30 minutes.

Monday - Food
apple,
beef mince, carrot, kale, tomato, olive oil, cashews
rollled oats, apple, coconut, walnuts
seafood soup (gemfish, scallop, prawn, tomato, zucchini, onion, garlic, olive oil)

Supplements
AM - 1 x Zn tablets, 2 x Ω3 tablets
PM - 2 x Ω3 tablets, 6g Mg powder, 10g creatine

Timothy Holmes
06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Tuesday - Gym

CA WOD 071002

Warmup: 2 rounds (15 o-bar OHS, SS, 16 GHD SU, 16 BE, 8/0 kipping pullups, 10/0 pushups), Burgener warmup

Muscle Snatch (3x3)
3x40kg, 3x45, 3x50

Hang Power Snatch (5x2)
3x2x40kg, 2x2x45

Metcon
3 rounds:
10 box jumps (~24")
20 cross chops (18kg DB)

3:47 - Didn't go out hard enough, I've got a habit of holding back so that I can go the distance. Couldn't get the box jumps out consecutively, maybe too heavy for chops. Pretty cool little workout.

Afterwards - Planche & front lever progressions
Frog stand (7x4"-13")
Tuck front lever (3x20")

Steve Rogers
06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Welcome aboard! It'll be interesting to see how this works for your decathlon preparation.

Allen Yeh
06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
The physio told me to stretch my upper back and gave two pilates-type
exercises. I've also been doing scapula rows and pushups. The only thing that seems to aggravate it is rope climbing. That, and javelin... :( So, for now it will only be one other throwing day.

Does what he gave you seem to be helping?

I'll need to modify the CA WOD soon because it will most likely become too much. I was planning on doing it in the morning then event-specific training in the afternoon.

Monday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Tuesday - CAWOD (am), training at track (pm)
Wednesday - CAWOD (am), throwing (pm)
Thursday - rest
Friday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Saturday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Sunday - training at the track (am)

Pretty full week. It's unlikely I'll be able to get to the metcon if I don't do it straight after. I guess isn't really necessary with all the other stuff I'm doing, like you say. I like to incorporate some gymnastics for pole vault. Maybe in my warmup?

I'm glad you came to the conclusion as well because looking at your schedule I was thinking there is no way a person could do the full CA WOD on top of 3x a week, event training 2x a week and throwing once a week. I would most definitely cut the metcons out, it seems like you are doing plenty already.

I almost forgot to ask what is your proficiency with the lifts? You have to do SPP but SPP for 10 different things. Which really makes this a challenge.

What else wil you be doing for recovery?

Stretching- I see you have stretching in there, anything else? I think that is pretty necessary on top of other recovery methods.

Soft Tissue work- I would place soft tissue work a huge one in there as well. Anything like foam rolling, massage, tennis/lacrosse ball rolling, something that may be of use for your injury area would be taking some of those paper dixie cups and filling them with water and freezing it, then take the paper off once it's frozen and use that to roll your affected area, I've used this one a few of my injuries and it works pretty well.

Icing/cold - Ice baths I've heard work wonders but alas I've never had the opportunity, I do do the contrast shower thing though and it seems to help.

See how you do with IF, I think you may end up having to drop it due to not being able to pull in enough calories, unless you want to go to the liquid meals option in addition to your solid meals.

Timothy Holmes
06-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks, Steve. I'm hoping for great results.

All great suggestions. Thanks, Allen.

The exercises seem to help, especially the ones focussing on pushing the scapula 'around' with serratus. The TGU SU's worked this too. There's almost no pain when stretching now but more rehab needs to be done before I can start throwing the javelin again.

I really like the ice rolling idea. I will try that soon. The stretching in my log last night was followed by about 25 minutes of rolling on a piece of PVC. It's not foam, but it does the job.

The only stretching I'm currently is what you saw 4-5x week. I don't think it is really adequate actually. Maybe I should stretch nightly even if is for only 10-15 minutes, maybe before I go to bed each night. No access to a bath, but I will try the showers. Any guidelines for how cold/hot and times?

IF doesn't seem likely. I'm probably not eating enough as it is. Time to start measuring sh*t out.

I'm going to drop at least one CA WOD per week. I'm thinking Wednesday, since Tuesday is a pretty big day. Do you think this will take care of my strength/conditioning needs? Perhaps more deadlifting would be helpful...

Timothy Holmes
06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Tuesday - Track

Warmup: 2x400m, light stretching

Sprint drills
4x100m

Long jump (unfortunately, no coach): hitch-kick progressions, pop ups.
(tweaked left hip flexor a little. icing it now.)

Meal break

Warmup: 2x400m, light stretching, short sprints (~3x20m)

Masters' Competition
90m: 10.62 (equivalent to a sub-11.8 100m)

High Jump: 1-step, 3-step, 5-step, full jumps, up to 1.60m

Back flips into the high jump pit to finish. :)

Tuesday - Other
Sleep - 6 + 1.5 nap. ends a week of 9+ hours per day. I wish I kept a log of it.

Food:
apple
rolled oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds, coconut, natural yoghurt
beef mince, brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrot, olive oil
duck eggs, tomato, apple, brazil nuts

Supplements:
AM - 2 x Zn tablets, 3 x Ω3 tablets, 7g creatine
PM - 2 x Ω3 tablets, 5g Mg powder, 7g creatine

Allen Yeh
06-10-2008, 06:52 AM
-PVC is fine, although be careful because there is such thing as too much of a good thing when it comes to SMR.

RE: Stretching
-Add it in there and see if it helps, I do my stretching just part of my daily routine but then again my training volume is nothing at all like yours!

RE: Contrast showers
-There are typically suggestions for 2 hot/1 cold and repeat 3+ times ending on cold as long as you get a couple of intervals of it I wouldn't worry about if you had 1 minute of cold of 3 minutes. I will stretch when I'm doing these sometimes as a way of keeping time. For example:
turn the water to cold and do a 30 second calf stretch on each leg, turn it to hot and do 2x 30 seconds stretch on my lats....etc I'm sure you get the idea.

RE: IF
IF doesn't seem like a good option when you are doing so much you'd be trying to scarf down 3000-4000 cals a day in a short window. Perhaps IF'ing 1-3 times a week just to change things up but definitely not an every day thing.

Drop things as you see necessary of course, my suggestions are general and trying to help as best I can without having done it myself or trained people who have done a decatholon. Scott has some good nuggets of information here for his sprint prep: http://www.modernforager.com/blog/2008/05/09/sprinting-at-28-my-training-regimen-and-a-shift-in-dietary-needs/

RE: Strength
The conditioning part seems to be taken care of with all your other stuff, the real question is is Oly what you should be focusing on as opposed to more convetional lifting squats/deadlifts/presses...etc. My feeling is yes, but hopefully Greg E. or Dave V. will have a little more insight here. I know heavy pulling just tears me up so I would not think that is a good addition to all this other stuff. Focusing on the pulls from the Oly lifts may be aall you need.

Timothy Holmes
06-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Left hip flexor/adductor sore to stretch. Doesn't give me problems when I'm running though. Iced it throughout the day.

Right shin/calf hurting. Possibly an onset of shins splints.

Training
No training today. Definitely don't regret the rest, yesterday cut me down. I'll catch up what I missed tomorrow, I think.

Sleep
9 hours, fair quality.

Food & Supplements
apple, oats, coconut, almonds, yoghurt
3 x Zn tablets, 3 x Ω3 tablets, 7g creatine
beef, mushrooms, olive oil
2 x Ω3 tablets, 5g Mg powder, 7g creatine

Felt a bit nauseous after taking the AM supplements. Might be a side effect of the creatine.

Timothy Holmes
06-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the pointing me towards modernforager.com.

That's a great article and website. I'm going to read it more thoroughly.

I don't know how to listen to my body. I'll try and document absolutely everything in my log so that if anything goes wrong (like a certain strained hip) I can trace it back. I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it, but it definitely won't hurt.

IF might be an option. Scott says he is eating ~3000 cals. I might be able to do the same, I might need more. Also, I'm going Paleo... as soon as I've finished my yoghurt and oats... :)

I really need to plan out my workouts. I haven't exactly done this. My last running workout was 1500m of 100/150. That's too much I suspect. I don't find out when the club meets and championships are for a while yet, but I can get a rough idea from the previous years. I've read that most decathletes train hard for 2 weeks, then have 1 week at 50%. So if I include this week, I have ~30 weeks for 10 cycles.

I've attached spreadsheet. I have no idea about the exercises and programming on teh right of the event training. I just guessed and put what looked good, trying to keep volume low.

I crave feedback! :)

Timothy Holmes
06-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Here's access to the attached via Google Docs: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pvUnFgl_0uVXSosQZZdYYLA&hl=en

Thursday - Gym

Warmup: 600m row, Burgener warmup

Front Squats, handstand holds between sets
5x3x57.5kg (used BSQ max * 0.8 for FSQ max)

Clean Pulls
3x67.5, 3x70, 3x75

Jerk BTN
2x60, 2x2x70 (alternated legs)

First time doing clean pulls. Are these just pulling the weight from the floor (deadlift) and then jumping with the weight in one motion?

First doing jerks from behind the neck. I had trouble lowering the weight back down.

I dropped the weight after each set and one of skinny/fat gym attendants came over and very unprofessionally told me to stop making so much noise. Whatevs.

'Metcon'
3 x 15/side x 20kg one-arm DB swings, for time, 3' rest: 1.27, 1.09, 1.05
2 x (15 GHD SU, 15 BE, 20 Windshield Wipers), walked through.
2 x 20 kipping pull ups, for time, 3' rest: 0.35, 0.45

Allen Yeh
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
You want to do clean pulls exactly like you would a clean and not turn it into a fast deadlift. You may jump a little but it's discouraged because the intent really isn't to jump on a clean the intent is to move your feet fast to reposition them for the catch. In the clean pull there is no repositioning of the feet so often you pull from the gorund and come up with a fast shrug and you may come up on your toes slightly due to pulling hard not due to trying to come up on your toes. Does that make any sense?

If you haven't seen this video. it's worth a look.
http://www.cathletics.com/resources/exercises/index.php?show=exercise&sectionID=2&exerciseID=98

Timothy Holmes
06-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Oh, that totally clears it up. You've just put a different perspective on the clean for me.

So, the shrug happens before the feet have left the ground (I think). Does that mean I should be strong enough to shrug/power shrug the weight I can clean/pull?

Thursday - Stretching
Did lots of stretching focusing on the hamstrings and soleus since I can't squat low enough. Even my front squat isn't very far below parallel, if any.

Weighted hamstring stretch (RDL w/7.5kg)
Soleus stretch on a block
Deep squat holding door frame

Thursday - Shot Put
Warmup - 1x400yd., push ups, shoulder rotations

2 x (10 overhead backwards, 10 underarm forwards, 5 overhead forwards)
2 x 2 overhead backwards
2 x 2 underarm forwards

6 x standing throws (2 with reverse)

First few throws felt great. Was going for a few more, but technique started to fall apart so I stopped then. (I need a coach!)

Allen Yeh
06-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh, that totally clears it up. You've just put a different perspective on the clean for me.

So, the shrug happens before the feet have left the ground (I think). Does that mean I should be strong enough to shrug/power shrug the weight I can clean/pull?

Greg has a really good piece in the PM journal's that really helpd things. Of course nothing beats in-person instruction. BTW other coaches will go with different methods. Some encourage the jump, some encourage the stomp...etc I've found what works best for me is trying one way and sticking with it for a bit before possibly modifying.

The feet leave the ground as a result of the upward force.

You should be able to shrug/power shrug more than you can clean pull, because the ROM is smaller. Another thing is to make sure you try to keep the shrug fast.

Allen Yeh
06-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Thursday - Stretching
Did lots of stretching focusing on the hamstrings and soleus since I can't squat low enough. Even my front squat isn't very far below parallel, if any.

Weighted hamstring stretch (RDL w/7.5kg)
Soleus stretch on a block
Deep squat holding door frame

How is your ankle flexibility/mobility? That is a limiting factor as well.

A good stretch here is to sink into a deep squat and then shift from side to side leaning slightly forwardtoward the direction of your toes.

Timothy Holmes
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Ankle mobility is good, but I'll add that exercise to the bedtime routine because it feels like it would help everything squat depth related.

Thursday - Summary
Food (shi*tloads):
3 apples
360+g smoked cod (not eating that again), spinach, capsicum, almonds, olive oil
rendang alsi (beef, kale, sweet potato, coconut, coconut cream, ginger, lime, garlic...)

Supplements:
AM - 5g Mg (took the wrong one), 3 x Ω3, 7g creatine
PM - 2 x Zn, 2 x Ω3, 7g creatine

Got extremely nauseous from the creatine. Not taking it today (Friday).

Sleep: 7.5 (no nap, grr)

Friday - Gym
Warmup: run to gym, Burgener WU

Hang Power Clean + Push Jerk, ~2.5' rest
4x(2+2)x40kg, (2+2)x60, (2+2)x70

Snatch Balance
2x2x20kg, 2x2x40 (didn't have the balls to drive down without a heave first...)

Pull Ups, 3' rest
12 (PU grip), 9 (PV grip), 8 (R-PV grip)

(Snatch-grip Rack jerk +) Overhead Squat
1x72.5 (BW, haha!)

Metcon
2 rounds, for time:
20 DU (1.17, 1.00)
2' rest
10/side x 26kg one-arm DB snatch (L/R, R/L) (1.37, ~2.00)
2' rest
10 GHD SU
10 BE (0.46, 0.45)

(3.40, ~3.45)

Didn't feel like I got much out of this workout. Took too long, not enough heavy lifting, not enough technique work... Hopefully my running will be better tonight.

Timothy Holmes
06-13-2008, 06:14 PM
FRIDAY - Track

2x400m (warmup)

sprint drills (2x20m,walk back each)

3x3x80m (80-100%), 3' & 8' rest

Didn't finish the last one, felt tired. First few felt great!

Food
1000 - red capsicum
1200 & 1300 - apple, coconut, muesli, almonds (lots)
1830 - whole chicken, some cauliflower
1930 - 2 squares of Lindt 70%

1000 - 2 x Zn tablets, 3.2g (2x1+4x0.3) x Ω3,
1830 - 2 x Ω3 tablets, 5g Mg powder, 3g creatine

Very little nausea with the small creatine dose.

Sleep
6.5 (no nap)

Stretching
Did a marathon session (2+ hours) of stretching and PVC rolling. Used this rolling routine: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832. Also did a foot/ankle mobility drill, 2x2x20m each (walk on toes/on heels, outside of foot/inside of foot, feet pointed in/feet pointed out)

SATURDAY - Gym
Warmup: stair running, pushups, squats, handstand, BWU

Snatch --> heavy single
3x40kg, 2x50, 1x55, 1x57.5(f*), 1x57.5
*didn't finish second pull, and didn't get under bar (didn't commit really)

Clean & Jerk --> heavy single
1x50kg, 1x60, 1x65, 1x67.5, 1x70, 1x72.5

Back Squat --> heavy single
4x60, 2x70, 1x75, 1x80, 1x85, 2x1x90
Still not getting the depth/lack of butt-winking I want...

'Metcon'
2 rounds:
front plank (1.30,1.30)
lateral plank (R/L - 1.30/1.30,1.30/1.30)

Very satisfying workout. Left rotator cuff bit sore (aching).

Mike ODonnell
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Remember...make IF work for YOU if you decide to give it a try....so with that being said you can always just try IF a few days a week....see what happens....scale IF based on your workouts and recovery....eat a crap load on the weekend and do less training....lots of options. Key is always finding what works for you to keep your training strong and performance high.

IF can help to increase macronutrient digestion and utilization....decrease inflammation....increase recovery.....but if you find it's not working....then it's time to stop and take a break from it.

If you are doing extended workouts (fasted or otherwise). Try adding in some BCAAs pre/post workout and taking Vit C. Those together may help to control cortisol levels and keep muscle loss from happening. Just an idea.

Timothy Holmes
06-14-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm unsure of the timing of the window (6 hours?) and training. Is the aim to exercise on a empty stomach?

IF, would this work:
Morning WO finishing at 7.30, start eating at 8.00 to 14.00, then evening training at 17.00, with recovery supplements to follow. If I wake up hungry the next day, I just start eating straight after my workout, then start IF again the day after?

Protein:
I aim for ~500g of meat per day which is 1.4 g protein/kg BW. Is that enough?

BCAAs:
Do you have a favourite manufacturer? (preferably insanely inexpensive)

Timothy Holmes
06-14-2008, 02:07 AM
BCAAs:
Do you have a favourite manufacturer? (preferably insanely inexpensive)

Maybe not... It got recommended that I take a few supplements by a nutrition-student friend (Zn complex, fish oil, creatine, Mg complex) and that's what I've been taking.

Are there any other 'essential' supplements I should be taking?

I would prefer to buy from this website: http://www.purenutrition.com.au. They sell high quality, pretty cheap and I dig their lack of flashy plastic tubs and bright colours.

Would L-Glutamine or whey be a reasonable alternative? Or would that negate the effects of the fast?

SATURDAY
Sleep: 7 + 1 hours

Food
1230 - beef, cauliflower (1 x Zn, 3.2g fish oil)
1700 - beef, cauliflower, tomato (pureed), garlic (7g creatine, 5g Mg)
1730 - apple, 2 squares Lindt
1830 - 2 squares Lindt (dammit!)

Recovery
Took a cold plunge after a hot shower after the morning workout. Feels so good. I'll try to do this (or contrast shower) after every shower (where the aim to get clean). :)

Feeling sleepy and it's only 10 past 7...

Timothy Holmes
06-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Just woken up and I'm very hungry, debating whether to start eating now or not. I have pole vault & discus training until 12 - will hunger (glycogen depletion, I assume) hinder my skills training?

Timothy Holmes
06-15-2008, 05:36 AM
SUNDAY
HR: 49 (taken immediately after waking)
Sleep: 6.5 + 0 :(

Unfortunately, I didn't fall asleep until well past 12.
Pole Vault/Discus - Track
no specific warmup, did some tumbling drills (watched the Rochet video this morning, fantastic!)

pole vault drills
full vaults, up to 2.90m

standing discus throws ~8x2, in between full vaults

Training felt good today (despite being on an empty stomach :)). Far better than it has the past three or four weeks. Still not completing the turn. If I can do that, I'll pretty easily have 3.10+. Next week, I'm going to drill successful jumps (ie. complete turn) over and over to get it right. Throwing technique is getting better. Release is much better than it was.

Pleased with today's training.

Food/Supplements
8.40 - Zn, 3.8g fish oil, green tea
13.00 (pwo) - 6 eggs, 400g+ pumpkin and 1 can of coconut milk (ate about 1/3 of it)
15.30 - 500g ground beef, lots of spinach, ~150g tomato puree, garlic
18.00 - 2 apples, some rolled oats*, a few walnuts, coconut, yoghurt*
19.30 - Mg, 3.8g fish oil
*that's the last of it. :)

Hmmm, not a great eating day...

Recovery
15.00 - hot shower, 1' -- cold, cold bath 5', -- hot shower, 1'
21.30 - 1 hour of stretching and PVC rolling.

Should I stretch before rolling or the other way around?

Allen Yeh
06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I would go with rolling before stretching.

A good visual here:
http://www.t-nation.com/article/performance_training/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys&cr=

Timothy Holmes
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Okay. Thanks, Allen.

MONDAY
sleep: 6.5 + 0
weight: 71.4, HR: 49 (measured upon waking)

Food
10.00 (pwo) - egg, pumpkin, coconut (finished leftovers, ~2/3)
10.15 - creatine, fish oil, Mg (man, that stuff is nasty)
11.00 - orange
13.30 - apple
(EXAM)
18.30 (pwo) - hamburger with the lot (*gasp!*)
21.30 - kangaroo, spinach, walnuts, tomato puree, garlic

Bad day for food. I really need to do better.

Gym - CAWOD
Warm up - run, row (2x1'), 15 x 20kg OHS, Burgener WU

Front Squats (75%x3x5)
5x3x60kg

Clean Deadlift (up to 3x100%of clean)
3x70,3x75,3x90*
*miscalculated the weight... seemed a bit heavy

Push Press
3x50,3x52.5,3x55,3x57.5,3x60(f)

Chins

Overhead Situps
3x8x20kg (2x10kg DB)

Bar muscle up in after front squat sets. I only managed to get one. It's all in the kip... Ring muscle ups are way easier for me.

Long rocks (hanging with left leg straight behind, right knee up, kick though to inverted hang, pull if possible), short rocks (inverted hang, bend at hips to let legs down to ankles against the bar, back to inverted hang) and Swiss ball squats (stand on ball, squat) in between PP and OHS SU sets

Track
Warmup: 1x800m

sprint drills (2x20m, walk back)

2 rounds:
run 300m (~45")
walk 100m (~70")
run 200m (~29")
walk 200m (~2.5')
run 100m (~13.5")
rest 3'

Crappy workout. So tired, probably from not eating all day. Had planned on 3 rounds.

Timothy Holmes
06-17-2008, 06:06 AM
TUESDAY
W: 72.2, HR:51 (7.30, after waking)

Sleep
8 + 1, slept very soundly last night. Got up once or twice to go to the bathroom. I've been in very close proximity to the bathroom during the day over the last month, so my bladder capacity is low... As odd as it sounds, I'll be training it a bit now... Nap was nice.

Food
11.10 - orange (1 large), while cooking.
11.20 - 2x Zn, 3g fish oil
11.30 - chicken (~160g), spinach (1.5 handfuls), capsicum (1 small), walnuts (~10), olive oil (lots)
14.30 - kangaroo mince, pasta sauce, onion, olive oil/apple, ginger, coconut milk (yum!)
18.30 - egg (1 boiled), mandarin
21.30 - egg (2 boiled), creatine, Mg

No morning workout. I didn't feel burnt out but after last nights workout, I didn't really think it would do me much good.

Track
Warmup for LJ: 2x400m, sprint drills, 3x100m (~14")

Long Jump training: pop ups (nothing too intense)
Shot Put: 2x(2 overhead backwards, 2 underarm forwards), standing throws, full gliding throws
Masters' comp.: 100m - 12.04 (pretty sucky), 400m - 53.65 (PR, -1.35!)
High Jump: worked up to 1.60m full jumps, 1-step, 3-step
Threw in a bit of skipping to 'cool down': single jumps, alternating feet (made sure to plantaflex, double unders (I'm getting pretty good :))

Timothy Holmes
06-18-2008, 08:44 PM
WEDNESDAY
W: 71._6, HR: 50
Sleep: 8 + 0, did't get a nap in, unfortunately

Food
fast length: ~12

9.30 - kangaroo mince, onion, pasta sauce (leftovers), broccoli/apple, pear, cocnut milk
10.00 - 2 x Zn, 3g fish oil
13.00 - 2 squares of Lindt 70%
14.00 - mandrin, 2g vit C
14.30 - chicken, zucchini, carrot, capsicum, olive oil, chili sauce (hot!)
19.30 - kangaroo mince, onion, pasta sauce, zucchini, carrot
20.30 - 3 squares Lindt 70%

Rest Day Workout
Was a scheduled rest day, but I had been at my desk all day so I went to the gym to do fun stuff.

Warmup: skipping (singles, alternating), 20kg OHS (~15)

very approximate rounds, for about 20 minutes:
2 min squats on a Swiss ball (got two in a row, yay!)
2 min handstand practice
1 min double under practice (got more 20 in a row)

Recovery
hot/cold/hot shower

Timothy Holmes
06-19-2008, 04:41 AM
THURSDAY
forgot to check weight and heart rate

7.5 + 0, woke up earlier than I would have liked and I manage a nap this afternoon. Early to bed tonight.

Food
fast length: ~12

8.30 - mandarin, apple, 3 boiled eggs, Zn, 3g O3, 2g vC
(EXAM)
13.30 - kangaroo mince, onion, pasta sauce, zucchini, carrot (leftovers)
17.00 (pwo) - kangaroo mince, onion, pasta sauce, zucchini, carrot (leftovers), 2g vC
21.15 (pwo) - chicken, broccoli, capsicum, carrot, olive oil, soy sauce, Mg, creatine, 2g vC, 3g O3

Didn't drink enough water today.

Discus/Shot - Waverley Track (PM)
warmed up with:
4 x overhead shot throw
4 x underarm shot throw
shoulder rotations

Discus: standing throws
An runner that was down at the track at the same time told me that I wasn't opening my hips enough. That helped heaps. Throwing is more consistent and ~10% further.

Shot Put: standing throws, gliding
Tried to used the same suggestion. Felt pretty good.

I wonder if I should start measuring my throws...

CA WOD - Gym (PM)
Warmed up with: double unders, Swiss ball squats, handstand holds, BWU

Back Squat (80%x3x5)
5x3x75kg

Snatch Pull (3x90%,3x95%,3x100%)
3x57.5kg, 3x60kg,3x65kg

Rack Jerk (heavy single)
1x70kg, 2x1x80*, 2x1x85* (pr)
* dodgy form then much better form

Followed up with:
pistols, Swiss ball squats, handstands, double unders, stretching, long rocks (w/tennis ball between ankles)

Recovery
foam roller - 20'

Timothy Holmes
06-20-2008, 06:28 AM
FRIDAY
W: 71.7

8.20 - 1g vC
12:15 - 1 avocado, 2 x Zn, 3g O3
meals sketchy after that
included:
200g bacon
300g prawns
400g kangaroo
broccoli
carrot
capsicum
olive oil
copious amounts of chocolate
8.45 - 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 can of coconut milk, 6g vC, Mg, creatine, 3g O3

I'll be very surprised if a don't weight 0.5kg more tomorrow morning...

Workout
No workout today, not feeling it. Pulled out a green bogger this morning, and we all know what that means... I have a big day tomorrow: LJ coaching clinic, 5 mile run, probably hit max C&J & SN tomorrow. We'll see...

Recovery
hot shower/cold plunge*/hot shower, foam rolling, stretching (all done within 1.5 hours)

I'm going to try the foam rolling before the water treatment next time and see if it feels any different any different.

*it gets easier every time, and I appreciate the benefits even more. :)

Timothy Holmes
06-21-2008, 04:44 AM
SATURDAY
Forgot to weigh myself. haha

Sleep: 7.5 + 0

I felt really good today. I guess it was the combination of the rest-hard-rest on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, the foam rolling and stretching, the cold plunge. Awesome.

Shin splints didn't flare up at all during or after the run, which is a relief.

Food
Fast: 17.5

2.00 - mandarin (before race), 2g vC
2.40 - chocolate cookie (after race)
3.30 - 2 pears, 1 can of coconut milk (while chicken cooked)
4.00 - chicken, sweet potato, pasta sauce, olive oil
6.00 - 2 squares of 70% dark chocolate (I'm going to stop buying this because I eat it too regularly...)
8.00 - creatine, 2 x Zn, 3g vC, 7g fish oil

I had huge amounts of energy today. I really wish I took food with me to eat after the run - I was a very, very dangerous driver on the way home... I need a huge eating day tomorrow.

X-Country Race
8km run (with hills!): don't know the time yet, probably ~31.30.

2nd last long run (yes, 8km is long...) for the year. Next one will be a 5km relay, then I'm done. Yay! ... Then comes intervals on the track, *shudder*

Recovery
hot shower/cold bath*/hot shower

*harder than yesterday for some reason...
Forgot to do the reverse order. Oh, well...

Very sleepy. Cleaning my teeth, then it's beddy-byes... haha

Timothy Holmes
06-29-2008, 09:56 PM
SUNDAY
Pole vault training - It was cold and rainy and I didn't really have it together. Not a particularly productive session. Overtraining?

MONDAY
Rest day, shin splints were pretty bad and I couldn't run without fairly serious pain...

TUESDAY
CH (PM): didn't LJ (shin splints), threw discus and shot put instead, 800m: 2:10

WEDNESDAY
Rest day

THURSDAY
Shot Put and Discus: did some gymnastics, and bear crawls for warmup (good idea). Over and underarm throws were so, so. Nothing compared to what it was a week before.

Pole Vault: good session, shin splints were bearable. Threw the discus in between some throws to keep the PV volume down. Had some incredible throws (yay!)

FRIDAY
Gym: 3x5 - OHS (3x52.5), RDL (50,60,70), SP (40,2x42.5). KTE in between SP sets.

SATURDAY
5km road race (last leg of a XC relay): 20.04
Felt fast, but I guess I didn't really run fast enough... Quite a shitty time actually.

SUNDAY
Pole Vault: good session.

Timothy Holmes
06-30-2008, 05:31 AM
MONDAY
LJ (w/Grant) (AM): 5x100m (13-13.5), popups (Grant could tell I haven't been doing any running lately, uh-oh!)

Gym (PM):
CFWU (kinda) - Squats and pushups felt really explosive.

Deadlift* (3x3): 100, 120, 120
*followed immediately by 10 vertical jumps, 4 feet-together jumps or 4 hops

Power Cleans (3x3): 60, 70, 70

Push Jerk^ (3x5): 70, 75 (f-4th), 75 (pr)
^ preceded by a power clean

Circuit (3 rounds):
Waiter's Walk ~60m, 40m, 30m (including 3,2,2 turns), right then left, 30kg DB
12 GHD situps (very explosive)
5+3 hip extensions + back extensions w/20kg,20kg,10kg

Metcon
2 rounds:
300m row (53.5, 55.9) - this is very close to a 400m run...
rest 2 minutes
15 KTE (0.46, 1.01)
rest 2 minutes

Food
I've been eating shitloads lately. Big, big fan of sweet potato roasted, or with coconut milk. Haven't been keeping up with the supplements since Sunday, back on today.

Timothy Holmes
07-01-2008, 05:06 PM
TUESDAY

Food
Protein: ~120g
Vegies: not enough
Processed food: Some

Throwing (AM)
Learnt the basics of the hammer throw: swinging around body, swing/turn/swing/turn, swing/turn/throw

Discus: first standing throw was awesome, rest weren't so good. I'm certain that I was because of the gym session the night before.

Training at the Track
110m 'handicap' race: 12.97 (my distance was scratch, but I gave the old guys a bit more. probably ran 112m)

High Jump
backwards: 1.23m
1-step: 1.35m
3-step: 1.50m

Shin splints off and on...

Timothy Holmes
07-02-2008, 04:40 AM
WEDNESDAY
HR: 53, W: 73.5 (pr! :))

Food
Protein: ~85g
Processed food: little
Overall: not enough, need more vegies

Rest Day
Did lots of stretching, and a little foam rolling.

Abs still sore. Right shoulder is bothering me a bit. I may have tweaked my elevator scap or something doing waiter walks...

I always find myself itching to go to the gym. Since it's so close, I'm currently going only 3 days per week and I'm on holidays, I might go everyday just to do prehab/fun exercises. Maybe a light 3x5 squat every other day...

Timothy Holmes
07-04-2008, 09:08 PM
THURSDAY
W: 72.9
Sleep: 8.75 + 1.5 (woo!)

Food
Protein: ~130g
Vegies: barely enough
Processed food: none

Gym (AM)
Back Squat (low bar)
5x5: 70, 4x75

Power Snatch + OHS
5x(2+2): 40, 50, 55, 60*, 60f
* sloppy form on OHS

Shoulder Press
5x5: 40, 42.5, 3x45

5' rest between all sets

Metcon
3 rounds:
12 one-arm DB swings
10 KTE
rest 1'

1:10, 1:05, 1:05

Track, Grass (PM)
Warmup: bear crawl, pullups, running

Sprint Drills (5, 2x20m)

4 rounds:
300m run, 100m walk
200m run, 200m walk
100m run, 5' minutes rest

1: 46.2, 31.1, 14.6

Lots of stretching at home.

FRIDAY
W: 72.5
Sleep: 9.5

Food
Protein: 130g (about 60g from dairy... :-[)
Vegies: plenty
Processed food: far too much

Bad day.

Track (PM)
Warmup: 800m

Sprint drills (6, 3x30m)

Bounding:
hopping, 3x30m (each leg, R first)
exaggerated running, 6x30m

Shot Put:
underarm throw + backwards throw, 6x(2+2)
standing throws
full throws

Shins hurt heaps on the last set of bounding. Grrr... Otherwise, fairly productive. Hamstrings sore from running day before.

Timothy Holmes
07-05-2008, 03:08 AM
SATURDAY
Sleep: 6 + 1 (not good enough...)

Food
Protein: 135g
Vegies: lots
Processed Food: none
Non-Paleo Food: some

Gym (AM)
CFWU (kinda)

Front Squat
5x5: 50, 60, 62.5, 2x65
Very good depth and form when I concentrate.

Power Clean
4x3: 65, 75, 80(f), 80
Popping legs out way too wide.

Push Jerk (with power clean to begin set)
3x5: 70, 75, 75(f)
I'm not catching with my shoulders extended. Possibly not strong enough to.

Mostly 4 minutes between sets.

2 rounds:
Waiter Walk, 60m 24kg (R then L)
10 KTE
10 20kg BE (very hard)

Metcon
3 rounds:
5 x 110kg deadlift (too tired to do 5 in one set, so I just did 3)
rest 1'
row 200m (36.2, 35.8, 36.3)
rest 1'

Track, Grass (PM)
Warmup: 800m

Sprint Drills (4, 2x40m, walkback)

5x150m
7x100m (barefoot)

Lots of stretching.

I'm exhausted.

Timothy Holmes
07-07-2008, 06:14 AM
SUNDAY
Sleep: 8.5 + 1

Food
Protein: 80g
Processed food: lots
Bad, bad day

PV training
I haven't had a really good PV session for a long time, and this one wasn't any exception.

I should be able to 2.8m consistently now, but I can't... I'm going to start training on Wednesdays in Box Hill.

MONDAY
Sleep: 7.5 + 1
W: 74.2 (whoa, pr!)

Food
Protein: 160g
Processed food: none
Non-Paleo: a little (cheese, honey)
Good day

Long Jump (AM)
Good session with Grant. Wore spikes - shins sore.

3 easy 100m (14, 13.2, 12.4)
~5 full approaches (30.10m)
5 standing jumps (2.72, 2.73, 2.73, 2.77, 2.79pr)
~18 popups ('lunge landing', switch legs, one cycle)

5x~20m hopping (terrible form, but it's improving, hurt shins a fair bit)

Gym (PM)
Warmup (I claimed a squat rack and couldn't leave it for fear of it being taken...):
10 deadlifts (with 20kg bar), high hang power cleans, front squats, shoulder presses, back squats, snatch deadlifts, high hang power snatches, OHS, repeated

Back Squat (low bar, 5' rest)
6x5: 3x75, 3x77.5 (pr)

Shoulder Presses (3' rest)
5x5: 42.5, 45, 3x47.5 (pr)
Felt really easy, but that might just be because they are never the 2nd exercise of the workout.

High Hang Power Cleans (3' rest)
3x3: 50, 60, 65

Pull Ups (3' rest)
3xmax: 12, 3 LPU + 7, 2 LPU + 3

Ab work, 3 rounds:
20 GHD SU
10, 8, 6 Back Extension + 10, 8, 10 Hip Extension
2 Swiss Ball Squats

Good workout, but my back is aching a little. I might be hyprextending my spine on the back squats...

Timothy Holmes
07-09-2008, 05:37 PM
WEDNESDAY
W: 74.2
Sleep: 6.5 + 1

Food
Protein: 115g
Non-Paleo: some (chocolate, honey)
Processed Food: some (chocolate)
Good day.

Long Jump
I had expected this to be a good hard session, but I wasn't recovered from the previous few days. In hindsight, I should not have done the 200m the night before because the technical training from Grant is much more valuable...

4x100m (very difficult; ?, 13.8, 13.4, 12.8)
At this point, Grant said to cut it short...

~12 standing jumps (30% <2.6, 50% 2.6-2.7, 20% >2.7)
Pretty terrible...

Disappointed that I couldn't plan this properly... Also, shins are really sore.

Didn't think there was much point going to PV training.

Timothy Holmes
07-10-2008, 01:04 AM
THURSDAY
W: 73.6
Sleep: 7.5 + 1.5

Food
Protein: 110g
Vegies: plenty (lots of spinach)
Non-Paleo: little (honey)
Processed: none

REST DAY

Timothy Holmes
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
FRIDAY
Sleep: 6

Food
Protein: ~100g
Non-Paleo: nothing

Training at CH (AM)
3 x 400m

5 rounds:
20 x ~95kg deadlift
20 wall ball (20lb, thrown at high possible)

31.xx (took forever...)

Gym (PM)
Burgener WU
1 round of Dr. G's snatch technique WO

Clean & Jerk
max: 70, 75, 80, 82.5(pr)

Snatch
max: 50, 55, 2x60 (f,h), 3x62.5 (f,f,f)

Back Squat
heavy single: 70, 90, 95, 100(recent pr), 102.5(f)

SATURDAY
Sleep: 4 + 2 + 1

Food
Non-paleo/Processed: cereal (weet-bix, muesli, milk)

REST DAY

Timothy Holmes
07-14-2008, 01:24 AM
SUNDAY
Have no idea what went on this day... :confused:

REST DAY

MONDAY
W: 75.3 :eek: (that'll do, pig, that'll do...)
Sleep: 8 + 1

Food
Protein: 120g
Vegies: so much
Non-Paleo: little (honey)

Gym (AM)
Warmup: GHD SU, HE, squats, handstand

Romanian Deadlift
8x50, 5x90, 3x110
-grip was limiting

Hang Power Snatch
3x3x50

Jump Squats
3x4x50

Thrusters
3x3x50

Back Squats
5x3: 50, 70, 85, 87.5(pr), 87.5
More depth, man!

In between every set I practised handstands, headstands, rolls, presses...

Row (damper on 10), 3 rounds:
150m, rest 2' (26.5, 27.6, 28.1)
300m, rest 2' (55.6, 56.4, 60.0*)
*had absolutely nothing left. I visualised a big chunky row boat being engulfed by a whale, reminded me of Sally Robbins, haha.

Timothy Holmes
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
WEDNESDAY
Sleep: 7.5
W: 72.9

Food
Meals: 1 pear, 1 1/2 cans of coconut milk, 1tsp honey; 350g lamb steak (omg!), 1 small sweet potato, 1 medium carrot, 1 large onion, lots of olive oil; 250g kangaroo mince, 2 bunches of bok choy (that's a lot of bok choy), bunch of coriander, olive oil; slice of pizza
Fast length: 12 (eating: 8-2)
Protein: 130g
Non-Paleo: some (pizza - so freaking annoyed! messes up my insulin level and tomorrow's fast. dammit!)

My room (AM)
Handstand hold (feet on wall)
3x1', 1' rest

rounds in 10 minutes:
2 pistols (w/7.5kg plate)
4 ring rows (feet starting 3" above shoulders)
6 ring pushups (hands starting 3" above toes)

11 + pistols

Nice little workout. I'll do this again in 3 weeks and kill it.

PV at Box Hill (PM)
Some car changed into the other lane, already occupied by another car. I saw the whole thing. Now, I need to give a witness statement. Should have done a u-turn and pretended that I saw nothing. Dammit! Got to the 1 hour training session 45 minutes late. >:(

Timothy Holmes
07-18-2008, 11:25 PM
THURSDAY
W: 73.0
Sleep: 9 (not exactly quality sleep. I blame the pizza...)

Food
Meals: flavoured yoghurt (10 teaspoonfuls), homemade lasagna (1 piece), handful of baby spinach (handful), snowpeas (handful), olives (~75g), semi-dried tomatoes (~50g); fish (340g), bacon (120g), prawns (100g), handful of baby spinach (handful), snowpeas (handful), carrot (1 medium), mandarins (2 small), avocado (1 medium), butter (40g); ~300g chicken, salad (plateful);
Fast length: 20 (16 including pizza)
Protein: ~190g (how the hell can bodybuilders eat 2g/lb BW?!)
Vegies: some (it was more of a salad day...)
Non-Paleo: fair bit (yoghurt, pasta, bacon, butter, salt in olives, tomatoes)

Big day for food!

Gym class (PM)
Good fun. Definitely going back. Felt like my first taekwondo class - I had no idea what I was doing, but that was okay. :)

Started with stretching. It's pretty clear that I need to do more...
Worked on forward rolls, handstands and handstand-to-forward roll.
Did stuff on the handspring trampoline thing...
Finished with more stretching.

Feeling good today.

FRIDAY
Sleep: 6.5 (late night thursday)
W: 73.3

Food
Meals: cordial (1 cup); biscuits (2); yoghurt (15 teaspoonfuls); fish (340g), bacon (60g), ~30g butter, bok choy (1 bunch), spinach leaves (1 handful), carrot (1 medium), snow peas (1 handful), ~75g olives, olive oil; 300g kangaroo, sweet potato (1 small), onion (1 large), broccoli (1 bunch), bacon (120g), ~30g butter, snow peas (1 small handful), olive oil
Non-Paleo: lots...

At least I ate enough... better than too little. :D

Gym (AM)
Warmup: run, Burgener WU

Power Snatch
heavy double: 40, 2x50, 2x55, 3x57.5(f,h,h), 60(f)

Lunges (weight in rack position)
10(total)x40, 8x50, 6x60, 6x70

Clapping Pullups (chest didn't actually touch the bar...)
max: 7

Metcon
For time:
470 mL bleed (that's 1 pint!)

6:28 (hurt like fuck during and after... they had better appreciate my blood! ;))

My iron was 14.3, low for the amount of meat I've been eating (what's up with that?)

Timothy Holmes
07-20-2008, 01:15 AM
SATURDAY
Sleep: 6.5 + 1.5
W: 75.3

Food
Fast length: 18
Non-Paleo: 1/2 a slice of blueberry cheesecake (omg! the best eva!)

REST DAY

SUNDAY
Sleep: 7
W: 74.1

Food
Fast length: 10
Protein: 100g
Non-Paleo: ice cream, yoghurt, honey, butter

Pole Vault (AM)
Okay training. Not particularly productive, but is it ever? ...

Afterwards:
5x60m, 3'+ rest

Gym (PM)
Power Clean
3x3: (40), 70, 82.5(pr), 87.5(huge pr)
I thought the old pr was 3x80, turns out I was wrong...

Romainian Deadlift
3x5: (70), 100, 120(pr), 130(f-3)

Overhead Squat
3x5: 50, 62.5, 65(pr)
Probably could have gone a bit heavier...

3-2-1x
20m left waiter walk (24kg)
20m right waiter walk

3x10 feet-to-hands
3x10 back extension

The only thing better than a pr on every exercise is a pr on every set. ;)

I think the nurse might have irritated a nerve with the needle. It would explain the pain and today's tingling...

Timothy Holmes
07-21-2008, 08:51 PM
MONDAY
Sleep: 8
W: 73.4

Food
Protein: 130g+
Vegies: yes!
Non-Paleo: chocolate (50g), cheese (100g+)

REST DAY

Timothy Holmes
07-22-2008, 05:06 AM
TUESDAY
Sleep: 8.5
W: 73.1

Food
Fast: none
Protein: 185g (eggs, cheese, beef)
Vegies: yum!
Non-Paleo: cheese, chocolate (50g)

My room (AM)
Handstand hold against wall: 3x1', 1' rest

Pistols (w/7.5kg plate)
3x(R,L): (4,4), (6,6), (8,7)

Reverse Tabata L-sit
made it through 1 3/4 intervals, legs up about 80% after that, tuck sit for the last one

My room (Noon)
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 rep rounds:
ring row (same conditions as last week)
ring pushup

4:45, all sets except first and last were broken on the rows, unbroken for pushups

ring dips - 3x12, 3' rest

CH Track (PM)
quick 800m for warmup, stretching

5x100m

Long Jump: ~10 approaches (30.80m, getting way more consistent, I'm itchy to know what I can jump!)

100m: 12.00 (grrr! I'm still yet to get under 12 seconds, it's driving me crazy)

Javelin: 3-step, full throws (I'm better than I was last time I threw the javelin...)

Steve gave me a few things to think about:
- throwing arm is at right angles with the body, the throwing angle comes from the angle the body is relative to the ground
- non-throwing arm is also held straight out, but moves forcefully to the hip to count the rotational force from the throwing arm

Allen Yeh
07-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Tim,

I've been reading you log with interest and would be curious to a summary of how you are feeling after a few weeks if you get the chance.

Timothy Holmes
07-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Sure, Allen. Not sure exactly what you mean...

I probably should be doing a summary of my training every 3 weeks too, to make sure I'm not neglecting anything, like throwing... or plyometrics...

WEDNESDAY
Sleep: 7.5

Food
Non-Paleo: none

Pole Vault, Box Hill
Coached by Mark Stewart. BEST POLE VAULT TRAINING SESSION EVER!

Turns out that I've got a bad habit that no one had picked up before Mark. It's pretty ingrained and it's the cause of all the problems I've been having lately (um, the last two months). I'm practising daily to get rid of the habit

Should be up to 3.20 in no time.

THURSDAY
Sleep: 7.5 + 0.5 (still not enough)

Food
Protein: 80g (definitely not enough)
Vegies: not really enough
Non-Paleo: rolled oats (I don't really like porridge any more...), honey, milk

Uni Oval/Gym
600m warmup

sprint drills (7, 2x30m), stretching

3x70m (fairly easy), walk back
5x30m (3-point start, max), 3' rest (in spikes)

Shoulder Press, 3' rest
5x5: 40, 45, 50(f5-so close!), 50(f4), 45

Pullups, 3' rest
5x5: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18
Worked out that since I'm pulling my BW as well as the DB, an increase of 2kg (16-->18) is 2%. Like going from 45 to 46 on the shoulder press. haha.

Tabata Rowing (4 rounds, drag: ~118)
110, 106, 104, 100
Pwned!

Gym class (PM)
Warmed up with 3 rounds of suicides, 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 V-snaps, 10 burpees. It's a little worrying that I could do the last set of pushups as quickly as the first...

Started with stretching. Need to do this on my own...
Worked on tuck jumps and front-saults (from mini tramp.), back-saults and backflips
Cool!
Finished with more stretching.

Timothy Holmes
07-25-2008, 04:56 AM
FRIDAY

Food
Fast: 19
Non-Paleo: rolled oats, milk, butter, chocolate, potato

Gym (PM)
Should have been a rest day...

Burgener WU

Hang Power Clean
3x5: 50, 60, 65

Power Snatch
3x3x50

Push Jerk
5x60, 3x70 (called it quits here)

Lunge
30x50 (that's 15 each side...)

Timothy Holmes
07-27-2008, 05:23 AM
SATURDAY

Food
Protein: 150g (Briana and I roasted a bunny rabbit for dinner. Gamey...)
Non-Paleo: the usual (milk, chocolate)

VERY ACTIVE REST DAY ;)

SUNDAY
Sleep: 5

Food
Protein: ~120g
Vegies: not much
Non-Paleo: bread, milk, cheese

Pole Vault, CH (AM)
good session. still not tucking my left elbow in...

afterwards, 8x150m (3' turn around)

Timothy Holmes
07-31-2008, 05:07 AM
MONDAY
Sleep: 7

Food
crap

ACTIVE REST DAY
Ring stuff

TUESDAY
Sleep: 6 (crap food)

Food
medium-crap
protein: 100g

CH (PM)
800m

sprint drills
5x100m

Long Jump:
~8 approaches
~15 popups

High Jump:
backwards: 1.25m
1-step: 1.43m (pr)

Javelin:
1-step
3-step
full throws
Turns out that I haven't improved much, if any... :(

WEDNESDAY
Sleep : 8 + 1.5

Food
excellent
protein: 130g (eggs, fish)
vegies: yes
non-paleo: butter

PV, BH (PM)
Great training session, again. Shins hurt a fair bit because I haven't been doing my toe raises lately. Oops.
Looking forward to the PV comp on Saturday. Hoping for 3.10+

Did Mark's gym circuit afterwards, 1 round:
6 short rocks
6 hollow rocks
6 long rocks
elders (15, 15, 15, 15)
10 pullups
6 tuck rocks
15 situps
15 dips

THURSDAY
Sleep: 8.5 (very good)

Food
excellent
protein: 100g (eggs, meat, liver)
vegies: yes, but still not enough carbs today
non-paleo: butter

Gym (PM)
warmup:
10 deadlift
10 hang power clean
10 snatch pulls
10 muscle snatches
10 OHS
10 KTE
10 deadlifts
10 hang power cleans
10 front squats
5 short rocks

Power Cleans
3x5: 50, 70, 75

Deadlifts
3x5x110

OHS
8,6,4,2: 50, 62.5, 67.5, 72.5

Pullups
max: 17
number of pullups stopped after 3 reps (total) where chest didn't touch the bar.

Hurdles, CH (PM)
800m
sprint drills
4x100m

walk through, front leg, 3x3 hurdles
walk through, trailing leg, 3x3 hurdles
run through, front leg, 5x3 hurles

I need to practise this a lot more to be able to have a 3 step stride... Shins really, really hurt today.

Timothy Holmes
08-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Friday
Sleep: 6.5

Food
mediocre
Protein: 140g
Non-Paleo: chocolate, butter, milk, peanuts, rice

REST DAY

Saturday
Sleep: 8.75

Food
very good - many berries :)
Protein: 85g
Vegies: none... >:(
Non-Paleo: milk

PV Comp, BH (PM)
crappy warmup. Shins hurt fucking bad. I need rest; lots and lots of rest... but when will I do my training? conundrum, conundrum. Shooting Thi an email.

Came in at 2.55 (2 attempts)
2.85 (2 attempts)
3.00 (3 attempts, PR)
3.15 (3 attempts, PR, hell yeah!)
3.30 (missed 3 attempts)

I beat all the little kids just starting pole vault. Take that, children! haha

Later that day...
At the Mount Waverly Safeway carpark, I discovered that the trolley stations are very similar to low parallel bars... :D

Did some L-sitting, shoulder stands, attempts at shoulder stand-to-handstand (that's the concentric part of a freestanding handstand pushup, I'm not strong/balanced enough yet), handstands.

My handstand is getting pretty decent. I need to make sure that my shoulders are in extension from the beginning.

Timothy Holmes
08-05-2008, 05:59 AM
SUNDAY

Food
Didn't eat enough
Protein: ~80g
Non-Paleo: the honey in my girlfriend's friend's chocolate nut slice (omg, so good!)

VERY ACTIVE REST DAY
played around on the Fitzroy pullup bars. I still can't get over how awesome there are.
plenty of muscle ups (including 2 on a bar). got 3 in a row. :)
next time, if my hands are back to normal I'm going to time myself going around the pullups bars, touching every one.

MONDAY
Sleep: 8.5

Food
very good food day
Non-Paleo: cream (small amount on very unevenly, partially defrosted blueberries. yum!)

REST DAY
Did 3 sets throughout the day of 20 pushups.

(I did go to the gym, got to warm up, and start front squats, when there was an incident. Lick ma balls, Monash Sport.)

Timothy Holmes
08-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Today deserves it's own post because it was a great day.

TUESDAY
Sleep: 8.5 (so, so good. I miss my naps, though.)

Food
superb food day
Protein: 150g
Vegies: lots and lots
Non-Paleo: pumpkin, the marinade that was on the kangaroo, chocolate (gotta stop eating that)

Gym, Fitzroy
Warmup: ring shizzle, barbell shizzle (nothing much)

Front Squats
5,5,3,1,1: 60, 67.5, 80(pr), 85, 87.5 (pr)
I think I've been stronger on these before but I never measured it. I definitely didn't have as good form though.

3 rounds, for time:
500m row (1.38, 1.50, 1.59)
15 40kg thrusters
9 pullups
rest 2'

3.02, 3.59, 4.08
Felt a little nauseous going into the second row but nothing came of it.

Did some stretching and pullup bar shizzle later. Took me longer to recover than I thought was usual but it my first decent CF WO for a while. Great workout. I still hate thrusters... Thanks to Peter for the timing and coaching.

For reference: a 1.38 row puts me in the 60th percentile for 19-29, male, lightweight (<75kg) rowers, according to C2.com

I found the MILO issue (http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1282-15.1) that I want, but it is a bit pricey. I have other priorities at the moment: food, textbook, long pants to train in... but anyone wants to help me buy it... ;)

Timothy Holmes
08-08-2008, 01:32 AM
WEDNESDAY

Food
felt hungry when I woke up, so no fast. Found myself doing unnecessary movements throughout the day (like bouncing my leg up and down), probably due to eating more than usual yesterday.
Protein: 110g
Vegies: probably too starch today (had a fair of sweet potato), lots of spinach and bean sprouts
Non-Paleo: chocolate

Gensis Fitness Centre, Oakleigh (haha!)
used a friend's card to get in. a true globogym, but quite well equipped...

warmup: overhead squats with a 20# barbell, pushups, samson stretch, pullups

Hang Power Clean
3x5: 60, 70, 75(f-5)
Got plenty of looks. Grip pretty wrecked from yesterday. Wish I had chalk.

Shoulder Press
3x5: 45, 47.5, 50
Did Swiss ball squats in between sets. Managed 3 in a row, then 8 in a row.

Pullups
3x5: 16, 20, 20

'Metcon'
3 long rocks (done on smith machine)
15 pushups
5 tuck-long rocks
10 pushups
7 tuck-long rocks
5 pushups

~4.40

THURSDAY
Sleep: ~8
W: 74.0

Food
kiwifruit, strawberries, almonds; orange; sweet potato, potato, olive oil, garlic, kangaroo, onion; orange; egg, spinach, parsnip, avocado, garlic
Protein: 160g
BIG food day. Didn't finish eating until right before bedtime. I had pretty bad sleep because of it.

CF:VIC (PM)
Warmup: pullup bar shizzle, stripper squat stretch, OHS

"Pete's Painful Prance Around the Perimeter". lol.
For time:
50 tyre (Fitzroy Fat Boy) flips (5:09, embarrassed)
50 sledgehammer hits
400m farmer's walk (scaled to 2x36kg KBs)

14:49
Felt a twinge in my left shoulder, but I pressed on. Didn't bother me after that.

Belt Squats
3x20: 20, 28, 28

Zercher Squats
5x40kg, 3x3x60kg
HARD! I can do more OHS with that weight... Might use a towel over my arms next time, but this ain't no globogym! haha

Gym Class (PM)
backsault, frontsault, handstand pops, muscleups (I still can't hold a false grip at the bottom yet...)
lots of stretching goodness

Timothy Holmes
08-09-2008, 05:34 AM
THURSDAY - Food
Protein: 125g

FRIDAY

Food
~15 hour fast
kiwifruit; sweet potato, potato, olive oil, garlic, kangaroo; squid, fish, mussels, sweet potato, parsnip, broccoli, weird, salty cheese, mushrooms, butter, olive oil, spinach, capsicum;

REST DAY

SATURDAY
Sleep: 6.5 (disappointed with the Australian team's uniform...)

Food
15.5 hour fast
kiwifruit, orange; broccoli, salmon (from a can...), corn, almonds, olive oil, onion; kangaroo, broccoli, garlic, olive oil; ice cream;

CF:VIC (AM)
Warmup: ?

Monkey bars, number 2: 35, 37, 33

Deadlifts (3' rest)
5x5: 70, 100, 120, 140(f-4), 140

walk through, 3 rounds:
3/3 R/L pistols (10kg DB)
10 pullups (as high as possible)

Timothy Holmes
10-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm resurrecting my journal. It's been about two and half months since I posted here, so a pretty large update is needed, I think.

Training was going well but the shin splints started to get worst. I backed off for a week and a bit - LJ, PV, one running session and one gym session, then came back stronger. First day back at the gym, I pulled a huge DL pr: 175.5kg, and did 30 bar MU for time: 9:30. The next day I got a pr for Fran: 6:37.

The summer track season has started for me, it began at the start of this month for the uni games. I competed in the decathlon (2nd), individual long jump (9th) and pole vault (NP).

Decathlon: 4697 (11.96, 5.56, 7.77, 1.64, 52.07, 21.2, 24.65, 3.20, 27.53, 4:39.54 - all pr's except for SP and JT)
Long Jump: 6.00m (pr)
Pole Vault: NH

The weekend following (two days later) was the Club Decathlon Championship. I did the first day with full effort, but I only did the second day half-heartedly so that I could win. I shouldn't have done it all; two decathlons in six days is too much in anyone's book. PR in 100m and 400m, decathlon PR in long jump.

4667 (11.84, 5.98, 7.72, 1.60, 51.44, 21.74, 26.22, 3.00, 27.42, 4:52.60)

The next two weeks I was sick...

I went to my first track meet two weeks ago at Box Hill:
LJ: 6.00m (equal pr)
200m: 23.13 (pr)

My second meet last weekend:
400mH: 65.4 (pr, terrible compared everyone else, but still a pr...)
DT: 20.x (terrible conditions)
HJ: 1.55
100m: 11.81 (pr)
4x400m: 3:41 (I dominated my leg. :p)

The next morning I had PV/discus training. It went well, I felt really good, so I went to the gym. Maxed the power clean at 95kg (pr), did Mary and got 10 rounds.

I've come to realise (yes, it's taken me this long) that time on the track takes precedent over anything time in the gym. It's easier to go to the gym and train, but not effective for my goals. I haven't been lately so I suspect that the power clean pr came from the sprinting/jumping/throwing, not previous work in the gym. :)

The next few months I'm going to focus on running so that I can qualify for the Nationals in the 400m. The time I need is 49.5.

Timothy Holmes
10-22-2008, 01:46 PM
TUESDAY
*no fast*

ate well. mmm, lamb chops. mostly zone, almost paleo (ate potato).

PM - CH
warmup: walked 800m, drom, run through 3x150m

3x50m speed

LJ/TJ training: standing TJ, LJ approaches, TJ popups, LJ popups

5x150m run throughs

Rating: 8.5 (some of the TJ felt a bit dodgy, but running afterwards was cut short to go study for final exams... good thing :))

WEDNESDAY
*no fast*

ate too much today. not really zone (meals weren't balanced, but total for the day probably was), almost paleo (pumpkin, potato, relish).

AM - Gym
warmup: 3x(1' rowing, drom), burgener WU

Power Snatches
(3x40, 3x45), 5x3x52.5kg, 5' rest

A1: single-leg RDL (2x5/sidex50), A2: two-leg RDL (5x110, 5x130)
B: incline bench press (4x5x50)
A1, B, A1, B, A2, B, A2, B. 2' rest between exercises

Rating: 7 (didn't feel particularly explosive on the snatches. right shoulder still doesn't like bench presses)

Timothy Holmes
10-24-2008, 02:53 AM
THURSDAY
*no fast*

paleo, except for homemade gnocchi.

Active Rest Day (did a little bit skipping)

Had a 3 hour exam. Didn't well at all on Thursday night.

FRIDAY
*no fast*

zone, paleo, except for homemade gnocchi.

PM
warmup: running, bear crawling, drills (3x40)

Grass:
3x65-80, 3' rest (started exactly between the half line and the penalty box and ran to the end of the soccer field. turns out that soccer field aren't the same size. silly me!)

Gym:
Back Squat (DE: 10x1x50kg, 1' rest. last five were pause squats)
Ab circuit (planks, KTE, rocks, pullups)

Rating: 9

Timothy Holmes
10-27-2008, 08:03 PM
SATURDAY
*15 hour fast*

paleo, zone (except for first meal - fruit only). ate fruit, sardines and almonds for most of the day.

PM - Club Competition
Triple Jump: 11.92
Hammer Throw: 21.14 (ahahaha!)
200m: 23.64
4x100m: ?
400m: 52.80
Pole Vault: 2.85

I was tired from the start of the day, and beginning with triple jump didn't help at all. No PRs, but I did train on Friday...

SUNDAY
*17 hour fast*

paleo.

AM - Training at CH
Pole Vault training: drills and jumps off 4 steps (~8.30m)
Discus: standing throws (wasn't really feeling it)

Running:
3x150, 3x120, 3x100 (walkback + 1' recovery)
1x300 (flat out)

Felt very spent after the running. Was glad to start eating.

PM - Gym
Power Clean + Continuous Box Jumps
4x(3 + 10)x(75, mid-thigh), 5' rest

5 rounds: 5 HSPU, 10 Double Unders - 3:46

Very nice little gym sesh. Need more like these.

MONDAY
*14 hour fast*

paleo, except for gnocchi.

REST DAY

Heart rate was about 54 in the morning. I really should have gone to the pool or something for recovery, but I was studying most of the day.

Timothy Holmes
10-28-2008, 02:50 AM
TUESDAY
*15 hour fast*

neither zone, nor zone...

AM - Gym
Power Snatch
3x40, 3x45, 2x50
5x2x55, 4.5' rest

Romanian Deadlift
2x5x120, 5x150 (a little messy)

Ab circuit, 3 rounds:
8 x 12kg DB weighted situps (weight is pretty irrelevant for this exercise)
40 broomstick rotations
20 lying leg raise/candlestick
10 KTE
18 pushups
10 body rows

Should have made the RDLs higher rep, and thrown in a plyo exercise after the snatches, like on Sunday.

PM - Training at CH
3x100
3x80 (speed work)

Long Jump: ~7 approaches, popups

Timothy Holmes
10-29-2008, 04:05 PM
WEDNESDAY
*18 hour fast*

not paleo or zone. :eek:

PM - Training at Box Hill
Lots of drills from four steps, jumps from 8 steps. I've advanced way past the cut down 13'1.5"x160# pole I was using, so the 162.5# pole that the Harriers owns is going to be perfect.

Shins hurt a lot until I get warmed up. So frustrating!

Would love to get a PB tonight at Club Comp. The starting height is 3.00m, and I think they go up by 20cm each time, so breaking my PB of 3.20m by 20cm is unlikely, but totally possible... ;)

Timothy Holmes
10-30-2008, 03:34 PM
THURSDAY
*12 hour fast*

paleo, lots of fruit.

AM - Gym
Front Squat
5x50, 5x70
3x3: 80, 82.5, 85

Push Jerk
5x40, 3x70
3x5: 75, 80(f-5), 80(f-2)

Pull Ups
3xmax: 11, 10, 8

PM - Club Comp
LJ: 5.71
PV: 3.20
100m: 12.6
800m: 2:12
medley relay: ?
400m: 55.1

Timothy Holmes
11-02-2008, 03:41 AM
FRIDAY
*15 hour fast*

REST DAY

SATURDAY
*no fast*

PM - Club Comp
PV: 3.33 (pb)
LJ: 5.56

SUNDAY
*16 hour fast*

AM - Training at CH
Discus: standing throws
Pole Vault: some drills from 4 steps, jumps from 8 steps. worked heaps on planting. using a wider grip now. (used 163# pole, it's probably too soft now)

shins are very sore...

Timothy Holmes
11-03-2008, 08:33 PM
MONDAY
*no fast*

bad food day.

REST DAY

TUESDAY
*18 hour fast*

neither.

AM - Training at CH
Long Jump: run throughs (4x100), approaches (6), full jumps (7, mostly around 6m)

PM - Gym
Power Cleans
5x50, 3x70, 1x85, 1x92.5(f), 1x90(f)
not happy about that.

Rowing
4x200m, 2' rest: 34.6 (pr), 34.2(pr), 35.0, 35.6

Felt pretty good at training. The last couple of jumps I was getting tired, but I didn't feel it too much. I've been training too much lately (last week: tuesday, wednesday, thursday...). There's no competition this week, except for tomorrow night (PV), so I'm not sure what to do with my training... see what happens, I guess. I really need to get stuck into the hurdles, but it still hurts my shins... :(

The Nationals qualifying event I'm competing in is in Campbelltown, NSW. Day One is on my birthday. :)

Timothy Holmes
11-09-2008, 02:41 PM
WEDNESDAY
*18 hour fast*

neither.

PM - Pole Vault Comp
NH at 3.20m. Take off was shocking on the first two, dropped the pole on the last one.

Afterwards,
1x300, 3x60 (100% effort) 1' rest

THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY
*15 hour fast*

zone, paleo

ACTIVE REST

SUNDAY
*18 hour fast*

AM/PM - Training at CH
Pole Vault: 4 step drills
Shot Put: overhead, underarm, chest throws (6 each), standing and full throws. Got 8.59m. PB.
Running: 8x150, 1x300.

PM - Gym at home
5 rounds, 5' rest between rounds:
77.5kg snatch-grip deadlift
6 MB underarm throws for height
6 MB thrusters for height

3 rounds:
8 Bubkas
8 forward overhead MB throws

PM - at home
30' bike ride. very sedate pace.

Timothy Holmes
11-11-2008, 05:11 AM
MONDAY
*no fast*

paleo-ish.

PM - Waverly
Discus
~16 standing throws
~10 South Africans

400m warmup, drom, 3x70m run throughs
Sprinting Drills: 7x60m

TUESDAY
*14 hour fast*

good food day (paleo, almost zone)... until a bowl... ah, two bowls of ice cream before bed...

AM - Gym
Back Squat, 1' rest (active for middle 8 sets)
DE: 10x1x60kg
included 4x10 body rows, 4x10 explosive pushups

3 rounds, walkthrough:
9, 8, 7 Bubkas
20 crosschops (10kg)
25, 30, 30 russian twists (seated, legs straight out in the air)
20 candlesticks
~35"/side lateral planks (arm straight, hand on MB)

PM - Training at CH
3x100m run throughs

Long Jump: 8 approaches, 12 popups, 3 full jumps (~6m)

Foot drills
Javelin drills

4x200m relay

Timothy Holmes
11-14-2008, 03:22 AM
WEDNESDAY
*no fast*

very good, clean food.

PM - PV at BH
4 step drills: good, not great.
full jumps: moved up to a 13' x 165# pole. Cleared 3.40 convincingly, just missed 3.50 (one attempt). not really staying on the pole long enough so not enough push off. plant has come along way in the last few weeks.

THURSDAY
*18 hour fast*

clean food, until noodles for dinner.

PM - CH
2x400, 3x80 (bends), hurdle mobility drills

shot put: underarm (forward), overhead (backward), push press throws
standing throws (~10): 7.90 - 8.25
full throws (6): 8.15 - 8.60, 8.87 (pb)

I love getting PBs.

FRIDAY
*no fast*

not such good food (pasta for dinner). didn't get enough sleep. had a nap (80') but it wasn't long enough.

REST DAY

Timothy Holmes
11-16-2008, 03:03 AM
SATURDAY
*16 hour fast*
95% clean

PM - Comp.
LJ: 5.73
400mH: 65.7 (HT)
DT: 24.39
SP: 8.87
JT: 29.62
100m: 11.4 (HT, +3.6)
4x400m: ran about 53.5

SUNDAY
*15 hour fast*
100% clean

AM - Training at CH
PV: 4-step drills, full jumps
Hurdle drills
3x150, 2x100 (3' rest)

PM - Gym
Snatch
doubles: 40, 50, 55, 60
singles: 62.5, 65, 67.5(f), 67.5(f)

Back Squat
5x60, 5x80
3x3: 100, 105, 100

Pull Ups:
3xmax: 12, 10, 7

Ab work, 4 rounds:
20 cross chops
25 candlesticks
20 russian twists (feet not anchored)

1k row: 3:53

Timothy Holmes
11-17-2008, 02:07 AM
MONDAY
*no fast*

not enough food

PM - Waverly
2x400 warmup, drom, easy discus throws

Discus: ~30 standing throws

Shot Put Throws: forward underarm, backward overhead, forward chest - 2x3 each

2x400 warmup, drom

5x800 (~3')[3']:
2:50 (1:20, 1:30)
3:01 (1:27, 1:34)
3:05 (1:30, 1:35)
2:58 (1:28, 1:29)
DNF (1:24, DNS)

Felt really tired on the last repeat. Now that I can look at the times, I see why... Too bad. Still, it was a very good session. Times are about 10% slower because I was on the grass track. Got some coaching on the discus. Looked at separation of the shoulders and hips, front foot blocking, and better hip activation. Shot throws felt good, backward throws are further than the forward ones now which can only be a good thing...

Timothy Holmes
11-18-2008, 02:59 AM
TUESDAY
*no fast*

AM - Gym
Front Squats
triples, 3' rest: 50, 3x70
active rest: 3x12 body rows, 3x12 pushups

Hanging from the pullup bar:
pullups, kipping pullups, monkey swings, swinging...

PM - Training at CH
2x400, sprint drills, 3x80m

Long Jump: 12 approaches, 12 popups (<=5.50m)
Javelin: drills, standing throws, 3-step throws

Timothy Holmes
11-24-2008, 05:49 PM
WEDNESDAY
Discus: standing throws, full throws (~28-31)
Pole Vault: very good sesh. kicked 4.5m, cleared 3.70m

THURSDAY
Drive: 6 hours
Hike: 2.5 hours (12.9km, downhill firetrail for 6.6km)

FRIDAY
Hike: 7 hours (22.9km return trip, very hard and steep for first 4km, last 800m was very steep, probably 1:1)

SATURDAY
Hike: 3 hours (same trail as Thursday, return trip)

SUNDAY
Pole Vault
Shot Put: not throwing great, still tired from hiking.

MONDAY
Discus: still tired

Haven't gotten enough sleep, so I think that is the culprit. Got a very solid 11 hours last night, so I guess I'll find out tonight.

Timothy Holmes
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
TUESDAY
Felt much better. Ready to train hard. :)

Long Jump: 12 approaches, 10 partial popups
Javelin: standing, 1-step, 3-step throws
throwing much much more consistently now. last throw was 31.30m
5x30m
400m: 55.12, 2' rest, 400m: 62.01

WEDNESDAY
Back felt really sore. Not happy about that...

PV: sandpit drills, 4-step drills, bar kicking, full jumps

THURSDAY
5x30m: 3.99, 4.01, 4.04, 4.10, 4.04
Discus: standing throws (~25m), full throws (~28m)
Med. ball stuff

I haven't been into the gym for a decent session for a long time now. I have comp. tomorrow, but my focus should be on the longer term (ie. 03/01), so I'll train more today.

Timothy Holmes
11-30-2008, 07:07 PM
FRIDAY

PM - Hurdles training
walkover drills, single leg hurdle (lead leg, trail leg)
4 hurdles (low hurdles): 1-step between, 2-steps between
3 hurdles (high hurdles): 3-steps between

Long session (~90 minutes), but pretty of rest. Not particularly intense

SATURDAY

PM - Club Comp.
PV: 3.55 (pb)
4x200m relay
JT: 30.64
HJ: 1.55
400m: 57.3 (HT)

Shins were very sore during high jump.

SUNDAY
*long fast*

did sleep well so I don't think I ate enough. Will do better tomorrow...

AM - Training at CH
PV: plants into sandpit (1, 2, 4 steps), drills (kick-through, kick-through on to back, kick-through on to back with turn and push away, rockback, rockback and straighten), bar kicking (kicked 4.50m from 6-step), vaulting for distance (kick-through on to back drill, but with a softer pole)

Shot Put: standing throws (7.00-7.60), full throws (7.50- 8.50)

3x300m, 1' recovery

PM - Gym at Home
Hang Power Clean
3x5: 48, 58, 70

Push Press
3x5: 50, 60, 65

Overhead Squat
5x5: 55, 55, 60, 65, 60

Running with Med Ball
overhead then out in front, ~1200m total

Foot Drills (3 times through, over about 40m)

Timothy Holmes
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
MONDAY
*15.5 hour fast*

fasting was hard. lots of food = better sleep.

PM - Werribee track
Discus: 18 standing throws, 18 full throws. measured the last 3: 27.9, 29.7, 29.5

Sprint Drills

3x150m (100m bend, 50m straight)
*difficult*

PM - Home
20 ring rows
10 knees-to-bar
20 bird-dogs
20 glute bridge raises

Timothy Holmes
12-06-2008, 01:47 AM
TUESDAY

PM - Training at CH
Long Jump
Javelin

WEDNESDAY

AM - Gym at Home
Jump Back Squats/Jumping on the spot (focus on active feet)
5x(3x50kg+8 jumps)

Deadlifts/Underarm MB throw for height
5x(5x95kg+5 throws)

Circuit, 4 rounds:
15 ring rows
15 ring scapula pushups
20" ring L-sit/30 standing trunk twists with MB/15" L-sit/30 STTwMB
20 bird-dogs
20 glute bridges

PM - Training at Waverley
Discus: standing throws, full throws. Felt fantastic.

PM - Training at BH
Pole Vault: drills (quick, just to warmup), jumps from 8-steps, jumps from 10-steps. Broke a pole on my first jump from 10 steps. Everything was shaky after that. Not a good session...

THURSDAY
Didn't get enough sleep. Not feeling great.

AM - Training at CH
Sprint Drills
Javelin
Shot Put
Speed/Sprinting Mobility/Pole Vault Drills

PM - Gym in Ballarat
Power Cleans
2x5: 60, 70
2x3x80

Front Squats
4x2x80

1000m row: 3:29.6

FRIDAY

PM - Ballarat
Messing around on fence supports: climb 15' pole, lower body down slowly, repeat.
Balancing on fences
Jumping on to bollards: jump double-foot, land single-foot

SATURDAY

PM - Club Comp
800m: 2:04.xx (pb)
DT: 26.xx (straight after 800m!)
SP: 8.63
JT: 31.87 (pb)
100m: 11.7 (HT, -1.8)
HJ: 1.55 (first attempt at 1.60 was very good, just not explosive enough)
4x400m relay (extremely tired for this)

Food has been extremely good over the lasdt few days. Most meat and salad. Very plentiful, perhaps too much so - I'll check the scales in the morning. Tomorrow will need to be a fairly light day...

Timothy Holmes
12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
SUNDAY

AM - Discus/PV/Running at CH
Discus: standing throws, full throws. Felt good.
PV: drills (same as last Sunday). Felt tired. Fairly big headwind
Running: 6x150, 2x100

PM - Gym at Home
Back Squats + 3 x (1 Depth Jump + 2 Jumps on the Spot)
5x6: 70, 80, 85, 90, 90
Squats were starting from the bottom position (no squat rack, weight was sitting on two bench stools) - very tough: up, down, ...down. Jumps felt okay.

7 rounds:
10 deadlifts (80kg)
10 pushups
6:35

MONDAY

PM - Cancelled PV comp
Nooo!

Did about 10 long jump approaches instead. New spikes feel great.

Late a very late night.

TUESDAY

AM - Gym at Home
Hang Power Clean
3x5: 55, 65, 75

Push Press
3x5: 55, 60, 65(f-5)

Overhead Squat
3x5: 55, 60, 65

PM - Cancelled Long Jump training (rain!)
Messing around with a skipping rope.
Max jumps (alternating feet), 30": 54, 81, 94
Handstand Walking, for distance: 14m, 15m (very happy with posture)

4x100m
~10 block starts (20m). Timed last 4 over 10m: 2.02, 2.08, 2.00, 1.94.

900m "race": 2:39

Timothy Holmes
12-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Had a bit of cold, since the 900m on Tuesday. It's only been a cough, but I think it is more than just 'middle distance runner's cough'.

WEDNESDAY

PM - Discus, Pole Vault at Box Hill
Discus: standing throws, full throws. felt crappy.
Pole Vault: drills sucked. jumps off 6-steps. cleared 3.40m

THURSDAY

Active Rest Day
AM - Gym at Home
skipping/toe raises

3 rounds:
l-sit
ring pushups
weighted situps (6kg DBs)
bird-dogs
STTwMB

PM - Gym at Home
toe raises/pullups/skipping/ring dips/toe raises

Timothy Holmes
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
FRIDAY
Stretching and stuff, ~90'

SATURDAY

PM - Werribee
8x100m

Sprint drills

2x50m bounding, for length: 19, 20 steps

200m, 150m, 100m. flat out, nearly full recovery

HUGE tailwind for every thing. Sweet as session.

Timothy Holmes
12-15-2008, 06:43 PM
SUNDAY
Another cold, rainy day.

AM - CH
600++500+400, rest
300+200h++100h, rest
++ = walk 200m, + = walk 100m, h = max/near max effort

PM - Gym at Home
Made a squat rack from metal and wooden stakes. Very hunter-gather.

Back Squat
3x3: 50, 70, 90
Felt incredibly tough... :(

MONDAY
Light day. No coach. :(

AM - CH
Javelin: standing, one step throws
Shot Put: standing, full throws. ~8.50m

Mobility/sprint drills, lots of stretching

Timothy Holmes
12-16-2008, 02:00 PM
TUESDAY
back on super, super strict paleo zone

AM - Gym at Home
skipping

5 back squats, 60kg
5 jumps on the spot (starting from 12" depth jump)
rest
5 back squats
5/side calf raises (one leg)
5 jumps on the spot (starting from 12" depth jump)

stretching

PM - High Velocity Meet (http://www.athsvic.org.au/news/newsfile.php?newsFileID=3053)
LJ: 6.05(pb), 5.59, 5.99
200m: 24.08

Was extremely happy with the long jumping because haven't I jumped even close to my previous PB since the first week of October...

Timothy Holmes
12-18-2008, 08:43 PM
WEDNESDAY
Strict Zone (mostly Paleo), 6 x 3 blocks, 4x fat

AM - Gym at Home
Core/Mobility Work:
ring rows, ring pushups, ring l-sit
bird-dogs, fire hydrants, glute bridge with hip adduction
overhead situps, STTwMB

PM - Pole Vault
drills (4-steps), full jumps (8-steps, 10-steps)

used 13'x165# pole for the first few and then a cutdown 14'x160# for the rest of the session. jumping 3.7 and 3.8. worked on approach - high knees for first few steps, then concentrate on speed and high hips all the way to the takeoff.

THURSDAY
Strict Zone (mostly Paleo), 6 x 3 blocks, 3x fat

PM - Training at CH
Javelin drills (draw back, running, side steps)
Discus (standing, half-turn, SA)

4x60m: 7.20, 7.21, 7.23, 7.19
2x300m, 100m walk
1x200m

Timothy Holmes
12-20-2008, 02:19 AM
FRIDAY
Zone (Paleo), 3+3+3+5 blocks, ~3x fat

REST DAY
50' stretching

SATURDAY
very loose Zone (mostly Paleo), 4+4+~5+1C/4F+6C/3P/3F

PM - PV comp.
3.26: x1 x2 o 1--14'x160#, 2--13'x165#
3.41: x1 x o
3.56: x o (pb)
3.71: o3 (pb) 3--14'x165#
3.86: x x x

Poor start to the day. But ended well. I'm aiming for another 19cm pb at the decathlon. :p.

PM - Gym at home
Clean High Pull (3' rest)
1x3x60kg
5x3x70kg

Back Squat (3' rest)
4x3: 85, 90, 95, 100

Slow Muscle Ups
1, 2 ,3 (1' rest)

Timothy Holmes
12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
SUNDAY
Pretty messed up diet... back on track today.

AM - Training at CH
JT: drills, 1-step throws
PV: drills (4-steps), kicks (6-steps, 13'x162.8#)

easy run, 18:12

Timothy Holmes
12-23-2008, 02:19 AM
MONDAY
Pretty clean diet, not Zone or completely Paleo though...

AM - ACTIVE REST DAY
warmup (skipping, squats, pushups)
foam roll
mobility drills
static stretching

TUESDAY
Same as yesterday

PM - Training at CH
Discus (Tom): standing, half, three-quarter, full throws. ~29-30m
Shot Put: standing, full throws. ~8.80m
Long Jump (Grant): ~12 approaches, 10 popups
4x120m, ~3' rest (Steve): 14.26, 14.53, 14.61, 14.71

I feel in good shape. Training tomorrow, then resting on Christmas and Boxing Day, then light technical sessions with intense, low volume sprinting and plyos. :)

Timothy Holmes
12-24-2008, 02:39 AM
WEDNESDAY
Not enough food, mostly paleo, Zone principles...

AM - Training at CH
High Jump: worked out approach for 12 steps (4.35 across, 11.05 out), worked on full jumps (~30) with some standing jumps (backovers) thrown in.

Plyos/Bounding (~80 foot contacts)
standing: 2.65, 2.65, 2.69 (sub-2.80 indicates I'm under-recovered...)
standing triple: 8.20, 7.90, 7.90
4 strides: 13.20, 13.20, 13.30
hopping over 40m, L: 16, R: 15
strides over 40m: 14, 17

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Timothy Holmes
12-27-2008, 02:50 AM
THURSDAY - REST DAY
Should have more, just to get the blood flowing... I felt pretty crappy.

FRIDAY - REST DAY

SATURDAY
PM - Training at BH
Discus: standing throws, drills
Pole Vault: full jumps (10 steps)

200m: 23.46, 12' recovery
3x60m: 7.23, 7.26, 7.18, 4' recovery

PM - Gym at Home
Back Squat / Calf Raises / Jumps on the Spot
3x(5x80kg / 5(L/R)x13kg / 5)

Timothy Holmes
12-29-2008, 02:48 AM
SUNDAY
Fast until 12

AM - Training at Glenhuntly (Tom)
Discus: standing throw (~25.5), half-turn (~26.5), three-quarter (~28.5), full throw (29.70)
Shot Put: standing throws (~8.00, 7.26kg), full throws (~10.50, 6kg)

MONDAY
Fast until 11.30

AM - Training at CH
Long Jump: 4 practice runups, 3 full jumps (6.1, 6.05, 6.15)
Javelin

Timothy Holmes
01-01-2009, 02:28 AM
TUESDAY
Zone-esque

All Day - Travel
skipping and stretrching during rests stops

WEDNESDAY
Zone-esque
Stayed up until 2.30am for New Year's celebrations in Sydney

AM - Training at Campbelltown
warmup (300, mobility drills, 3x80m)

discus (standing, half...): ~14 throws total
shot put: overhead (underarm, overarm), underarm, standing throws, full throws

3x60m: 7.26, 7.22, 6.99 (?)

circuit: OHS situps, RDL (w/shot), overhead throws (for height, w/shot)

THURSDAY
Big lunchtime meal
Lots of sleep :)

~60 lunges up a hill

Timothy Holmes
01-08-2009, 12:03 AM
FRIDAY
Sleep was on track.

AM - Campbelltown
Light throwing - discus, lots of drills, 8 throws total

Standing vertical jumps, 2x3

SATURDAY

Competition
Warmups felt really good:
mobility drills, static stretching (the good kind)
sprint drills (over 10m each)
1x30m accel.
1x60m accel.

100m: 11.58, 738 (+1.0), felt really, really good. Start was a little dodgy (stood up too early, neck/shoulders weren't relaxed)
LJ: 6.32, 657 (+2.9, 6.10/6.16/6.32). Very happy with this. Took 5 practice runups to be satisfied with it.
SP: 8.52, 397 (8.10/8.42/8.52). Not particularly happy, but I can't expect too much since I haven't been doing my power cleans lately...
HJ: 1.65, 457. Can't complain...
400m: 51.74, 738. Didn't push hard enough early in the race. If I had more confidence in what I was capable of this would hard been slightly better.

Foam rolling, static stretching at night

SUNDAY
Sleep was restless

Competition
110mH: 22.39, 185 (+2.0). Absolute garbage. This will the focus of my training for the next 6 weeks...
DT: 26.95, 405. Not really pleased with this since I've thrown 28-29.5 pretty consistently in training
PV: 3.20, 406. Had a fall during warmups and corked my hip. Can't really run properly.
JT: 30.10, 301. About what was expected.
1500m: 4:50.7. Pushed through the pain to finish, could have pushed harder since I ran 65" for the last lap.

MONDAY, TUESDAY
Rest, drive home.

WEDNESDAY - Training at Glenhuntly
Discus, Shot Put: ~29, 8.50

THURSDAY
60' of intensive yardwork.
60' of stretching.

Timothy Holmes
01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
FRIDAY - Rest
SATURDAY - Long Jump (5.88)
SUNDAY - Discus, Shot Put (AM), Trailer pushing in the backyard (Hamstring sore the next day)
MONDAY - Rest
TUESDAY - Rest
WEDNESDAY - Discus, Shot Put, Pole Vault (hurt left calf stretching it...)
THURSDAY - Rest
FRIDAY - BW circuit (pullups, pushups, squats, lunges)
SATURDAY - Rest

SUNDAY
Throwing
Javelin (32m), Shot Put (9m) - calf a little sore

Weights
Strength Circuit, 5 reps, 2' rest between exercises, 3 times through:
back squat (70, 85, 95)
L-pullups
weighted ring dips (13, 15.5, 16)

20 MB throws, underarm for height
10 MB throws, overhead forwards for distance

Feeling good. Started working on Thursday: manual labour, continuous, 9-13 hours per day, 6 days a week, 6am starts... Money, woo! I suppose I'll see how I go with recovery.

Timothy Holmes
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
MONDAY - Rest
TUESDAY - Long Jump (explosive but very tired due to work), 100m (11.91 HT), 1000m (3:05, 65" last lap)
WEDNESDAY - Rest
THURSDAY - BW circuit

FRIDAY - Werribee track
Back Squat (WU: 5x50, 3x70, 1x95): 3x3x95
Plyos (2' between sets, 5' between exercises): jump on the spot (3x5), hopping (20m - L/R: 8/9, 8/9), strides (20m: 7,8,7)
Running (3x40, 3x30 [3' & 8'])
10' practising bounding (hop-step-hop-step...)
Excellent session

Timothy Holmes
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
SATURDAY
Pole Vault (PM)
good session. feeling pretty rusty because I haven't vaulted for 10 days
huge clearance at 3.80

SUNDAY
Throwing (Jav) & Running (AM)
drills with a small weighted ball
standing throws
one-step
one-step w/skips (31+)
three-step
three-step w/8-steps (~31, garbage throws, not ready from the extra approach speed yet...)

2x2x300(slow) (walk 100, walk 200)
4x150, walkback
focus on 150s it was full extension (ankles) and running tall

MONDAY
Rest Day
Big Day Out! (http://www.bigdayout.com/home.php)

Timothy Holmes
01-27-2009, 02:11 AM
TUESDAY
Long Jump & Running
LJ: 5 approaches, lunge-landing, switch-lunge-landing, full landings
Bounding: 2x8 hops/leg, technique focus

2x80m, ~3' rest: 9.41, 9.34 (bad start on the first rep)
1000m: 1:16 (fairly easy run)

A good session. Run throughs felt a bit sluggish, but I don't think I was warmed up enough, even it was 36C today. Jumping was very good, second 80 felt good...

Club Champs is 4 Sundays and the State Champs are 5 away.
Plan is to do a quick short to long routine, 3 sprint sessions a week.

Timothy Holmes
01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
WEDNESDAY
missed PV training cause it was fucking HOT (44C = 111F).

THURSDAY, FRIDAY - rest days

SATURDAY
sprint drills, run throughs
hurdle drills (garbage)
pole plants (~60 walking, 10 ten-step)
running (3x60, 3x40 [3' & 8'])

SUNDAY
discus (standing, half-turn, full turn - 10 of each)
shot put (standing, full/glide - 5 of each)

Timothy Holmes
02-04-2009, 10:33 PM
MONDAY - rest
TUESDAY - competition (TJ: 12.10 (pb), JT: 30.46, PV: 3.75 (pb), HJ: 1.55, 400m: 54.6)
WEDNESDAY - throwing (DT, SP)

Timothy Holmes
02-10-2009, 03:55 AM
THURSDAY - Rest
FRIDAY - Rest
SATURDAY - Rest (competition was cancelled :mad: )
SUNDAY - 4x120, 3.5' rest, could keep the pace up on the last 10/15m of the 3rd/4th reps
MONDAY - Rest
TUESDAY - Long Jump, Discus (standing, half-turn), 70m: 8.45

Timothy Holmes
02-11-2009, 04:25 AM
WEDNESDAY
Javelin - standing throws (focus on hips, then fast arm), one-step, one-step w/little steps
Pole Vault - some drills, full jumps (10-step), cleared 3.80, everything is coming together nicely, should hit 4m on saturday

Not getting enough sleep lately (between 5-8 hours a night), recovery is suffering big time. Comp tomorrow - 100 and LJ. Not really feeling about them, expecting about 11.8 and 6.05.

Timothy Holmes
02-13-2009, 01:53 AM
THURSDAY
100m: 11.81 (+2.9)
Pretty disappointing considering the tailwind was big. Lost form towards the end. Coach says I need to focus on my own race. (full elbow drive, hips tall, step over)

LJ: 6.16 (6.03[+2.0], 5.71, 6.16[+1.6] | 5.91, 5.30, 6.14[+2.9])
First jump was as a good a jump as I have could hoped for - running tall, good knee drive and arm drive on take off, good hitchkick, arms extending nicely, decent landing (still needs work), everything except foot placement - I was about about 45cm away from the plasticine. Grrr! Last jump put them together, but by that time I was too tired... Came 8th of 10. Haha.

Only got 6 hours sleep last night. Hoping for 10+ tonight, and a 4 metre pole vault tomorrow... :D

Timothy Holmes
02-15-2009, 03:33 AM
FRIDAY - Rest
SATURDAY - Comp.
TJ: 12.03 (12.01, 12.03, 11.9?)
200m: 24.85 (-3.9)
PV: 3.60
DT: 28.71
4x100: 45.59

SUNDAY - Comp.
100y: 10.8H
JT: 32.87
LJ: 6.18
PV: 3.50

Tired as.

Timothy Holmes
02-16-2009, 02:07 AM
MONDAY - Still really tired. Probably won't go to LJ training tomorrow. If I don't, I'll warmup, do 100-80-60, go home.

Timothy Holmes
02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
TUESDAY - Didn't end up going to LJ training. Glad I didn't.
WEDNESDAY - discus (not a good session), pole vault (good session, jumped off a 12-step approach)
THURSDAY - did a few accelerations to keep fresh.
FRIDAY - nothing.

Vic Champs (LJ) tomorrow night. Expecting big things.

Timothy Holmes
02-25-2009, 08:05 PM
SATURDAY - Sucked balls. LJ - 5.91 (5.91, 5.80, 5.90)
SUNDAY - javelin, 1x(300+100)
MONDAY - Nothing
TUESDAY - extensive WU, LJ, 2x30m (blocks)
WEDNESDAY - PV, UB/BW circuit
THURSDAY - javelin, LB/BW circuit

Timothy Holmes
03-02-2009, 12:02 PM
FRIDAY - Rest
SATURDAY & SUNDAY - decathlon
12.02, 6.09, 8.27, 1.59, 53.20; 22.34, 26.xx, 3.80, 33.26, 4:46.6 - 4894
meh. Similar to result in Sydney. Very disappointed with LJ and DT. Happy enough with PV.
MONDAY - leaving for trip overseas. 12 months backpacking in Canada. Can anyone put me up for a night?
TUESDAY - flight from Auckland to Honolulu. Eek.

Timothy Holmes
03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
After a week long layoff, I'm slowing getting back into the training game. My conditioning had decreased to the point where I'd say that I couldn't do more than 50 air squats in row without felling sore the next day. I went for a long run (~3k) and my soleus was sore for about 5 days..... Going to be training at Crossfit Westside (Vancouver) for a while...

So, from now until I get to Calgary (hard - medium/easy - rest/active rest):
short plyos & speed/long plyos & speed endurance/strength & short metcon
strength/metcon/boarding
rest/boarding/long run

TUESDAY
CF:WS - Metcon
Back was sore for the 5 days before from some bad technique on the rings, so I was a little conservative on the deadlifting.
3 rounds:
10 deadlift (80kg)
5 rounds of Cindy

Did muscleups instead of the pullups and pushups for the first 5 Cindy rounds.

Timothy Holmes
03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
WEDNESDAY
beef mince, olive oil, lettuce, cucumber, lettuce, celery, spring onion, avocado
beef sausages, olive oil, baby spinach, mushrooms, peanut butter

Long walk to the Granville Island Market.

THURSDAY
eggs, orange, olive oil
rice pudding, a cookie

snowboarding at Cypress for 8 hours

Timothy Holmes
03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
FRIDAY
sausage, mushroom, lettuce, avocado, cucumber, celery, olive oil
brie, blueberries
sausage, mushroom, lettuce, peanut butter, cucumber, celery, olive oil
brie, blueberries
chcocolate, almonds

SATURDAY
sausage, beans, egg, toast, blueberry jam, apple juice - PWO
pizza :) - PWO
sausage, lettuce, cucumber, avocado, celery
blueberries

Short workout at CF WS
warmup - rowing, mobility drills

power clean, 1.5' rest between sets
triples: 40, 60, 70, 80

Last set was a bit sloppy, but I'm happy that I've haven't lost as much strength as I expected.

Long workout in Stanley Park
warmup: 4km run from hostel to rings, bunch of pullups

Bubkas - singles, lots of pre-swing

Bounding (on soggy grass):
Strides: 2x3x30m (about 13-14), walkback, 2'
Hop-Step-Hop-Step: 2x3x30m, walkback, 2'

2.5km walk to grass hill, took the wrong trail and ended up just using a firetrail...

Warmup: 5x30m easy runs up hill, star jumps!
Sprinting (on fairly easy hill):
2x3x(accel+maintain), walkback, 2'
did 25+35 for the first set, 20+40 for the second. should have been way shorter

Lunges (up hill): 2x60m (51, 56 steps)

Walk home (6.5 km)

Calves are going to be extremely sore tomorrow... and the next day.. and the next.

Timothy Holmes
03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
SUNDAY: 9 + .5
eggs (4), flaxseed, orange, blueberries, peanut butter, cucumber, olive oil
burger (~150g beef), salad
sausages (200g), broccoli, avocado, mushroom, carrot
PWO - blackberries
beef mince (125g), lettuce, cucumber, avocado, onion, olive oil
I feel like I've eaten so much today. It's probably been only 140g of protein today though...

Evening romp in the park
warmup: 1k run to park

3 rounds:
run 100m (including some stairs - up)
12, 10, 8 pushups
run 50m (including some stairs - down)
12, 10, 8 burpees
bearcrawl 30m

then
run 800m

rest ~6', repeat

7:39, 9:55

3 rounds:
5 KTE, 5 pullups, 10 scapula pushups

30' stretching and shin exercises
Good fun. Feel hard, too hard. I'm so unconditioned. I should have been able to blast through this... Will probably be a regular Sunday evening 'recovery' workout.

Timothy Holmes
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
MONDAY - 6 + 1
noon - blackberries, orange
WORKOUT
pwo - pizza, blackberries
sausage (300g), broccoli, mushroom, carrot, peanut butter
NAP
beef mince (125g), eggs (2), lettuce, cucumber, bean sprouts, onion, avocado, olive oil
Wow. That took a lot of effort. So much food in such a short amount of time... I'm going to eat this way for about a month, gain a bit of weight, then cycle it with the Zone every month or so.

Workout in the park
warmup: run, mobility drills

Sprint Drills (3 sets of 5 drills done over 2x20m done with no rest)

Bounding:
4x(34,22,32,30) strides, walkback (last one was a bit messy)

4x10 vertical jumps (focus on height and full ankle extension and flexion)

messed around with standing 360 jumps - continuous, reversing direction

2 rounds of max front and side planks (I thought it was 1' for all of them, but I think I timed it wrong)

10' stretching

I had planned on doing some gymnastics beforehand, but my nose started bleeding on the first handstand. I guess I'll have to wait until I don't have a cold.... :)
On the first round of sprint drills my calves felt really strong, from the hill and stair runs, I guess.
I didn't make out a distance for the bounding, but probably should have. It doesn't make any difference to concentration on technique... (Active) rest tomorrow.

Timothy Holmes
03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
TUESDAY - 8 + 0.5
orange
PWO - hot dog
pizza, blackberries
sausage (300g), broccoli, mushroom, avocado, bean sprouts

At Brockton Oval
warmup: run, stretches/mobility

14x100 @ 14-15", 90" rest
done on very uneven, slippery and soggy grass

15,13,12 tuck rocks
3x15 incline situps
bunch of pullups/L-pullups

Great day. I still have a bit of a cold. It seems to be a bit better today. Lots of walking done before training (>12km). Tomorrow will be a rest day, I promise! That, or a gym day...

Timothy Holmes
03-19-2009, 09:36 PM
WEDNESDAY - 8 (very solid)
Off Day

THURSDAY - 6
cookie, orange
egg (3), lettuce, peanut butter, relish
pork (270g), relish, peanut butter
pizza

Metcon at CFWS
warmup: 2x(200m row, 15 jumps)

50 pullups
50 pushups
50 KB swings, 24kg
50 box jumps
40 pullups
40 pushups
40 KB swings
30 pullups
30 KB swings
31.xx
Took. For. Ever...

Going on the Zone early. I'm doing a metcon cycle now, I thinkk...l

Timothy Holmes
03-20-2009, 03:01 PM
FRIDAY - 6.5
eggs (3), peanut butter
pork, strawberries, orange
PWO - pork, broccoli, sweet potato, strawberries
salmon, spring onions, orange, olive oil, peanut butter, relish
pork, lettuce, orange, relish, olive oil, peanut butter
17P, 13C

WO - Park
warmup - running/stairs, static stretching, mobility drills

Sprint Drills (twice through):
3x40 running A's
3x40 butt kicks
3x20 skipping A's (ramped up)

Bounding (~20m, walkback, more rest between exercises):
3xL+R hops (10.5-11.5+11-12)
2x3 strides (10-11.5) left leg definitely weaker...
2xL+R hop-step (10-11, with short approach)

360 jumps and discus drills

My training partner bailed so I did this instead. Shins are bit sore now. I think the ground might be a bit hard to be doing intense plyos. The360 jumps were crazy hard - much worse than last time. I couldn't put even two together.

I had planned on doing snatches and back squats today, but I'll do it tomorrow instead.

Timothy Holmes
03-21-2009, 11:15 PM
SATURDAY - 7.5
egg, strawberries, orange
pork, strawberries, orange
pork, broccoli, sweet potato, mushroom, relish
salmon, relish, avocado, spring onion, strawberries, orange, grapes
pork, peanut butter, olive oil, bean sprouts, mushrooms, spring onions

CFWS - Lifting
warmup: rowing, mobility drills

Power Snatch (close grip)
4x3x40, 3x3x45, 2x3x50, 3x55
3x3x45, 2x3x50, 3x55

Back Squat
5x5: 80, 85, 3x90

Shoulder Press
5x5x40

medball throws (3kg)
waiter walk (35#)

500m row: 1:33.2

Timothy Holmes
03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
SUNDAY - 8
pork, orange, peanut butter, beansprouts, spring onion
salmon, avocado, spring onion, relish, mushroom, olive oil
egg, apple, peanut butter, maple syrup
egg, peanut butter, maple syrup (cheat meal #1 :mad:)

REST DAY

Timothy Holmes
03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
MONDAY - 9 :)
eggs, orange, strawberries
bacon, egg, sweet potato, onion, olive oil
PWO - bacon, egg, mushroom, beansprouts, spring onion, olive oil, peanut butter
PWO - salmon, orange, beansprouts, broccoli, strawberries, grapes, maple syrup
16 P, 15 C

Metcon at CFWS
warmup (3 rounds): 250m row, standup-squat-stretch, dislocates, OHS

Hang Clean 'Practice'

5 rounds:
40kg hang clean
12 pullups
12 ring dips
22:29

Ring dips were the killer. Hang cleans were easy, but it was a really light weight...

'Rippetoe is a God Workout'
warmup (2 rounds): 100 skips, 10 lunges, 5 pullups

Back Squat (low bar style)
3x5: (20, 55, 75), 90, 95, 98

Shoulder Press
max: (5x40, 3x45) 52(f), 52, 53(f), 53

Pullups
max reps: 10

Scapula Pushups
3x15

L-hang
3x? (like 12s each)

I thought the last set of BSQ's was 100kg, but the little green plates were 2kg, not 2.5kg! Grrr! The squats themselves were pretty ugly; much butt-winking.

I couldn't find a 1RM in my log, but I did find a 50x5 (1RM=50/.85=58), so I'm at about 90% of what I used to be.

Good day, all in all. Feeling pretty pumped actually. Probably do 5x3x100m [30", 90"] tomorrow on grass, if it's not raining...

Timothy Holmes
03-24-2009, 02:27 PM
TUESDAY - 9 :)
eggs, grapes, orange, peanut butter
PWO - beef, grapes, orange, olive oil
95g organic dark chocolate blueberries (yum! - cheat #2)
salmon, peanut butter, broccoli, parsnip
beef, strawberries, onion, parsnip, peanut butter
18 P, 21 C

Run in Park
warmup: run, mobility

12x100 @ 14-17", 58-61" rest
Cut short because the grass was too wet and my running was suffering because of it.

Circuit
13, 8, 0 tuck jumps
3x25 jumping jacks/tuck jumps?
3x15 incline situps

30' of stretching

I got really cold afterwards. I should have eaten then stretched. I'm certain that getting cold raises the cortisol and recovery will have suffered...

Timothy Holmes
03-25-2009, 09:16 PM
THURSDAY - 4 + 3.5
bacon, mushroom, parsnip
beef, pizza
beef, pizza
bacon, broccoli, brie, sweet potato
bacon, strawberries, maple syrup
22 P, 22 C

CFWS
warmup: skipping, lunges

run 400m
21 burpees
21 squat jumps
21 box jumps
run 400m
rest ~10 minutes (nose bleed)
run 400m
45 box jumps
18 squat jumps
18 box jumps
run 400m
23:50

Deadlift
3x3: (60, 100, 120), 130, 140, 140
Fair bit of back rounding on second last set

Stupid workout.

Timothy Holmes
03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
THURSDAY - 8
beef, strawberries, orange
salmon, peanut butter, broccoli, parsnip, carrot, onion, olive oil
salmon, peanut butter, broccoli, parsnip, onion, carrot, olive oil
chicken, broccoli, parnsip, carrot, pepper
~23 P, 15 C

Shortie at CFWS
warmup: broomstick drills, run (2x400m), mobility

Power Clean
3x3: (40, 60, 70), 80(f-3), 80(f-3), 80(f-3)
Stupid

Thruster
3x5: (40), 50, 60(f), 60

Front Squat
2x3x70

45' stretching

Pullups: 8, 6, 4

Should have taken a rest or purposefully made every really light... like 80% of what I tried today.... Tired from the deadlifts I suspect.

Timothy Holmes
03-31-2009, 08:18 PM
FRIDAY, SATURDAY - Rest
SUNDAY - Long run (soleus really sore again)

MONDAY - 8.5 (low quality)
CFWS
warmup: ohs, pullup swings

Half Angie: 11:14

Back Squat (low bar)
3x5: (50, 75, 90), 100, 100(f-5), 90

Deadlift
2x5: (70, 100, 120), 130, 130

TUESDAY - 7 + 2
Rest

Getting more and more worried about the Fran coming up on Thursday night...

Timothy Holmes
04-03-2009, 07:12 PM
WEDNESDAY - 6.5 + 2

THURSDAY - 7 + 2
Fran: 6:20
Dominated the pullups - the 15 set was the only broken set.

Quads and glutes sore today. All that lactic acid...

Drank Guiness and ate pizza afterwards...

Timothy Holmes
04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
*Chk* ... And we are back.

Sunday (26/4)

Workout (11 AM)
Fairly easy ride to meet my new coach. 12km/25'

Workout (5 PM)
15/15/20/15 pushups

Run to park

Sprint-mobility drills
Sprint drills (4x3x20m)
Vertical Jumps (12, 14, 12)
Bounding (4x~20m, 9.5 strides)

Run home

5 rounds:
10 burpees (little jump)
10 situps
10 OH lunges with broomstick
1' rest
1.29, 1.29, 1.36, 1.28, 1.32

Stretching (9.30 PM)
1 hour, static

Beginning training with the UCAC mulitevent team Monday. Woot! ... Actually, I'm really nervous because they will be much better than me at everything, and that is kinda intimidating, especially for high jump and hurdles (because I suck at them).

Timothy Holmes
04-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Cool things I want to be able to do... before April 2010:
sub-11.2 100m
sub-50 400m
sub-2:00 800m (if could get that, a sub-4:30 1500m would be easy!)
7m LJ
1.90m HJ
11m SP
1.75xBW front squat
1.5xBW clean and jerk
3" planche, front lever, back lever
45m javelin throw
sub-16 110mH
4.20m pole vault
a six pack :p

... we'll see.

Timothy Holmes
04-28-2009, 07:28 AM
MONDAY
hot cross bun w/nutella (what a great breakfast! :o )
tuna & cheese toastie
bison mince, strawberries
pwo - apple, cheese
quiche, potatoes, tomatoes
I need to start eating far better for the aspirations I have...

Workout (3 PM)
~20km cycling, over 90'

Workout (5 PM)
warmup: 400m run, mobility drills, 3x20m strides, static stretching

4x30m accelerations

3 x block starts (30, 40, 40)

200: 25.72 *I hate running around the indoor track

Hang Power Clean (3x2 @ H; 2x3 @ M)
55, 73, 73, 60, 60 *Wasn't sure what weight to use. The 73 came up easier than it expected

Split Squat (4x3 @ M)/Squat Jump (4x6 @ L DB)
4x70 *not sure about the DB weight

Bench Press (6,5,4,3,2)
61, 61, 66, 66(f), 70

DB Pullovers (2x10)
27.5#, 22#

Pullups (1 x max)
10 :)

Workout (8 PM)
Swiss ball situps/Swiss ball extensions (2x15,15)
Front plank/Back plank (2x?,?)

Stretching (9 PM)
45'

I love training at U of C. The gym is wicked, the people are really friendly, the girls are fit, the training is structured. I need to eat way more. I'm actually craving a meal of steak, sweet potato, broccoli, avocado and strawberries... Weird. :rolleyes:

Timothy Holmes
04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
TUESDAY
2 PM - sausage, broccoli, strawberries, avocado
pwo - sausage, strawberries, almonds
lasagne (made with red cabbage instead of pasta!), sweet potato, mustard & coriander dressing

WORKOUT (4.30 PM)
bike ride, 25 minutes
bike ride, 5 minutes

warmup: 400m, mobility drills

Sprint Drills/Light Plyos

LJ drills (off a spring board on to a high jump mat)

3x150, 50m walk (80-85%)
3x100, 100m walk

Random 'supplementary' exercises in the gym
ring rows (20, 10, 8), bird-dog, side lunge DB press, back extensions, knees-to-elbows, half-long rocks, russian twists

bike ride home, 30 minutes

Wasn't particularly happy with training today. The group was huge, and it doesn't look like I'm going to be doing full-on decathlon training after all. Still, it's way better than what I expected.

Timothy Holmes
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
WEDNESDAY
strawberries, coconut, milk, cereal
lasagne, cucumber, spinach
chicken, cheese, bread, milk
pwo - pulled pork, slaw, potato, bread, onion, chocolate cake, strawberries

WORKOUT (4 PM)
bike ride, 20 minutes

warmup: 200m, mobility drills

High jump: backovers, 3; scissorkick, 1; full jumps, ~5
Still going over the bar sideways, but I made pretty good progress.

Shot Put (16#): standing throws, 5; glides, 3;
Throwing (arm) to late, that is when my left foot has left the ground and is switching to the front

Hang Snatch (3x3 @ L / 2x2 @ M): 3x3x40, 2x2x49
Step Ups (2x6 each leg): 2x6x(27.5#x2)
Lunges (1x12): 1x12x(32.5#x2)
Incline Bench (4x6 @ M): 1x5x115#, 3x6x95#
Pullups (max): 12
Chair leg lifts, 10 + chair side leg lifts, 5 each side
Chinups (max): 6
Chair leg lifts, 10 + chair side leg lifts, 5 each side
Gym work all done within 30 minutes... Whoa.

Great workout today. Tomorrow is long jump and some sort of running, I think. Then on Friday, javelin and hurdles. Yay!

Didn't get time for stretching tonight. I need sleep. I woke up too early today and yesterday - a sign of overtraining... duhn, Duhn, DUHN!

Timothy Holmes
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
THURSDAY
hummus, cuccumber, spinach
beef, liver, onion, cheese, chocolate cake, strawberries
pwo - broccoli, cabbage, parsnip, almonds
leek soup, fish, beans, tomatoes, rice

WORKOUT (4.35 PM)
bike ride, 25 minutes

warmup: 80m run, mobility drills, 2x60m

2x30m accel.

Long Jump: 3 approaches, 3 full jumps

Tempo: 200+100+200++100+200+100 (+ = 50m slow walk)

Med Ball (1x8/L+Rx8): 'push press', underarm, backwards-overhead, forwards-overhead, sidewards-front on, sidewards-side on, downwards-side on, downwards-front on

bike home, 35 minutes (sloooww)

STRETCHING (9.30 PM)
20 minutes

Timothy Holmes
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
FRIDAY
strawberries, coconut, milk, cereal
leek soup, bread, fish, beans, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, parsnip, almonds
pwo - dried fruit
chocolate milk
chicken sausage, pasta, broccoli, capsicum, eggplant, tomatoes, almonds, parsley *3 different nightshades! Wow!

Not enough protein today. Tomorrow will be a huge eating day, I promise.

WORKOUT (3.30 PM)
bike ride, 20 minutes

warmup: mobility drills, sprint drills

Hurdles: 5 step - 3x6 hurdles, 2x3, 2x5, 1x8, 1x10. 3 step - 5x2 at speed, with start

Javelin: warmup throws, 4 standing, 6 3-step.

bike ride, 40 minutes (to bike shop)
bike ride, 25 minutes (home)

Sooo tired. I'm going to bed instead of stretching.

Timothy Holmes
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
SATURDAY
pancake, apple, nutella
pwo - sardines, broccoli, cabbage, parsnip, almonds
sausage, milk, chocolate milk
sausage, parnsip, onion, avocado, parsley, chocolate cake
salmon, onion, olive oil, alfalfa, chocolate cake

Lotsa food! Not all high quality though...

WORKOUT (10 AM)
warmup: 400m run, mobility drills, static stretching

Hurdle Mobility
High Jump: 15 full jumps (8-step)
Bounding (30m): skips for height (x3), strides (x3), hop-step (x2)
Discus: 12 standing, 9 three-quarter, 3 full throws
Running: 5x300m, 100m walk *3rd & 5th reps faster, others at ~50"

STRETCHING (8 PM)
30 minutes

Stretching for the week - 2.5 hours. Not good enough. I need to be stretching every night at least... Tomorrow is a rest day, so I'll probably go for a slow run around the block, do 21-15-9: OHS, pushups and have two hour-long stretching sessions.

Timothy Holmes
05-04-2009, 10:35 PM
SUNDAY
slow 25' run (4.4km) - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2792571
15' bike ride (5.9km) - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2792575

No stretching. :mad:

MONDAY
milk
sandwich
chocolate milk
pizza

Bad food day

WORKOUT (4.30 PM)
25' bike ride - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2792577

warmup: run, mobility drills, 4x80m

Pole Vault: 6-step takeoffs, bar kicks *without a bungee/bar? what?
Tempo: 6x100, 50m walk

25' bike ride

Really, really unhappy with the quality of the pole vault session. I think I've been spoiled having been coached by one of the best coaches in Australia, and likely the world. This guy isn't nearly as good, and the fact that there was about 15 athletes trying to use the one pit doesn't help. I'm definitely going to have to have a chat with the coach about drills, the bungee and smaller training sessions...

Tomorrow is going to be a big day - blocks, speed endurance, high jump, shot put, gym work. I'm looking forward to it.

Timothy Holmes
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
TUESDAY
pwo - chocolate milk
burgers and salad for dinner

All I remember...

WORKOUT (5 PM)
bike ride, 25 minutes

short warmup: run, mobility drills

High Jump: 3x70m curve runs, 3 approaches, 6 full jumps
Shot Put: overhead & underarm throws, standing throws, full throws
Med Ball: underarm, backwards-overhead, 'push press', sidewards-front on, sidewards-side on

Running (speed):
1x30, 1x50
1x30, 1x50
2x(40+30 'float'+50)

WORKOUT (9 PM)
rounds:
burpees, 10-20 reps (75 total)
walk 15m
squats, 12-20 reps (120 total)

front plank (feet on swiss ball) competition: ~3'

No gym, yet again... But that's okay.

Timothy Holmes
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
WEDNESDAY

WORKOUT (4.30 PM)
bike ride, 25 minutes

warmup: run, mobility drills

Long Jump: 2 x 50m accel, 3 full approaches (34.6m), 2 popups
Javelin: 6 standing throws, 3 1-step, 9 3-step
Hurdles: 3x8, 3x5 (5-step)
Tempo: 6x100m, 50m jog

Foot Drills, Static Stretch

bike ride, 45 minutes

Timothy Holmes
05-08-2009, 09:17 PM
THURSDAY
Rest Day

FRIDAY

WORKOUT (5 PM)
warmup: mobility drills, 6x80m grass strides

Pole Vault: 6 step - 8 takeoffs, 4 jumps (bar too low)
Discus: 9 standing throws (25-27), 12 south africans (25-30), 5 full throws (25-31)
Running: 200,150,120,80 (4' rest) - 24.6, 18.5, 14.6, 9.6

Pole vault was much more productive than the last session. I need to make sue that I run tall, particularly the last few steps. It seemed to make all the difference on the full jumps.

Hamstrings were burning at the end of the runs. I start to lean back which is probably a side effect of overstriding.

I was very glad that I didn't ride. I would have been wasted.

Timothy Holmes
05-10-2009, 07:08 AM
SATURDAY
Snowboarding: 10:45 - 12:30, 2:00-3:45

The snow was pretty slushy towards the end of the day, so it was pretty hard to handle the bumps wrong. My balance was definitely better than last time though.

Timothy Holmes
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
SUNDAY - WORKOUT
high jump
running: 6x100m tempo (50m walk)
med ball

MONDAY - WORKOUT
pole vault
running: 1x40, 5x60 blocks, felt pretty good. I'm overstriding at top speed though.

Timothy Holmes
05-21-2009, 07:20 PM
TUESDAY
Javelin

WEDNESDAY
Foot drills

THURSDAY
Long Jump: approaches, popups

FRIDAY
rest

SATURDAY
Competition!
100m heat: 11.95 (+0.6), final 11.99 (-1.2)
LJ: 6.30 (+0.0) - FOUL, 6.30m(+0.0), 6.20m(1.3), FOUL, FOUL, 5.82m(-1.7)
JT: 33.81 - 33.81m 31.42m FOUL 27.58m 29.64m PASS

LJ and JT done concurrently. One jump, one throw - repeat!

Drive to Penticton

SUNDAY
Lots of biking riding (cyclocross style)

MONDAY

Gym
warmup: 3x1' row, OHS, dislocates, SS

OHS
12,10,8 - 90" rest: 95#, 105#, 115#

Push Jerk
4x6x135# - 90" rest

Deadlift
10,8,6 - 90" rest: 225#, 245#, 255#

L-Pullups
3x2 - 2' rest

Random
HS, situps, russian twist, back/hip extensions, pushups, external rotation

2x300m row: ?, 56.x

Biking riding

Run in VFFs, 35 minutes, included 2 hard hills

Bunch of attempts to do a bent arm press, from tuck planche-to-handstand

TUESDAY
Gym
warmup: 3x1' row, stretch, squats

Back Squat
5x135#, 3x205#, 1x225#, 3x1x235#
Felt pretty hard. So close to missing the last one.

DB Bench Press (done between the BSQ singles)
12x60#, 3x12x80#

Short rocks
1x8

Gym again
warmup: 2x2' row, stretch, squats, Burgner

Hang Power Clean (ME - 5,5,5,5,5)
5x95#, 5x135#, 5x145#, 5x155(f-5), 5x155

1-DB shoulder press
3x8x27.5#, 1' rest

Pullups
8,6,6, 1' rest

Weighted Situps/Back Extension/Calf Raise
3x8x(20#x2)
45#
35#

Birddogs, Candlesticks

Pseudo-Tabata DB snatch
55# x 4L/R every 30" (rest was usually 5-10")

1000m row (sub 3:32.4)

WEDNESDAY
Gym
Front Squat
5x115#, 3x135#, 3x145#, 3x155#, 7x3x165#

Press "drop" set
95# SP+PP+PJ: 7+4+10

Bent Over Row (The one where you have a hand and a knee on a bench. I felt like such a bodybuilder...)
2x8L/Rx60#, 1' rest

One Arm DB SLDL / KTE
2x10L/Rx20#

3x100m row, 1' rest, damper on 1: 20.1, 19.9, 20.2

Bike Ride, 41 km

THURSDAY
Gym
Snatch Deadlift
10x2x205#, every 1'

DB Bench Press
5x47.5#, 10x3x(60#x2)

DB Snatch
50# x 10L/R, rest 60", 7 rounds
first two 50", next two 55" then 55" or 60"

Short rocks

Gym again
4.8km run

L-Pullups
4x3

Russian Twists / Hanging Leg Raises (to feet to shoulder height) / Back Extension
3x20, 3x10, 3x12x45#

2x300m row, 1' rest: 56.4, 58.6

1.5km run

foot drills (2x50m)

Timothy Holmes
05-22-2009, 09:17 PM
FRIDAY
Drive home, thus ending the Tim's Week Of Do Whatever The Fuck You Want.

Soleus extremely sore form yesterday's 4 mile run in VFFs. Warmup/light workout tomorrow.

Timothy Holmes
05-25-2009, 12:41 PM
SATURDAY
Active rest day (cycling)

SUNDAY
Competition
SP: 9.07 - 9.07* 8.45 8.54 PASS PASS PASS
PV (10 step run up was 19.5m, pole was 14 x 155#): 3.30 o 3.50 o 3.70 xxx
TJ (run up was 27.8m): 12.62 (-0.6) - 12.34* FOUL 12.28 FOUL PASS 12.62*
400m (8th lane, :eek: ): 53.86

Pole vault was a little disappointing. I was arching my back on the way up and peeling away from the pole, rather than being slightly dished and going straight up. The pole hit me on the head so I was a bit too fired up for the 3rd attempt. It was a mess. Triple jump was surprising. The 4th jump was a 13m+ jump but I was over the board by a few centimetres, and way behind the board on the last jump. I hurt my right knee a little on the hop on the last jump.

Timothy Holmes
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM
MONDAY
bike ride to training

warmup: mobility drills, 20m accels

conditioning (I think...): ~8 x (bounding drill x 20m + run x 40m + sprint drills x 20m + run 40m)

discus: 9 standing throws, 12 south africans, 9 full throws

Timothy Holmes
05-26-2009, 09:18 AM
MONDAY
bike ride to training

warmup: mobility drills, 20m accels

conditioning (I think...): ~8 x (bounding drill x 20m + run x 40m + sprint drills x 20m + run 40m)

discus: 9 standing throws, 12 south africans, 9 full throws

Best discus session I've had for a while.

Timothy Holmes
05-27-2009, 08:57 AM
TUESDAY

Gym (AM)
I went with my brother to the gym down the road. It's basically a room with more than 15 treadmills, preloaded barbells (30 - 110#), 7 or so machines, and dumbbells (2 - 80#). Pretty sparse...

warmup: run to gym, 15/10 lunges, 15/10 squats, 15/10 pushups

strength circuit, 2 rounds:
pistols - 2x3L/Rx8#, 6L/Rx8#
thrusters - 8x100#, 8x110#
pullups - 5x35, 5x35

DB snatch - 8L/Rx50, 3L/Rx70

Track Practice (PM)
bike ride

warmup: 5x80m, mobility drills, 3x100

High Jump: full jumps
Running, variable rest ~1'-5': 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m, 60m, 50m, 40m

Power Cleans (2x2 @ H, 3x3 @ M)
2x2x155#, 2x3x135#, 3x155#

Half Squats (5x3 @ H)
3x205, 4x3x255

Bench Press (L-H)
6,5,4,3,2: 115, 145, 155, 155, 165 (that's close to 80kg 1RM, cool...)

DB Pullover (1x8 @ M, 1x8L/R @ L)
10x35#, 8L/Rx(2x20#)

DB Sprint Arm Motion
2x30x(2x10#)

Pullups
1x8

Leg Raise + Knee Raise
15 + 12

Timothy Holmes
05-29-2009, 09:55 AM
WEDNESDAY
fast until 2 PM (16 hours)
tricep, chest, calves sore

Quick Run (AM)
1.7km

Track Practice
bike ride

Hurdles: 4x3x5 hurdles, 3-step rhythm (hurdles 1' closer than normal)
Javelin: standing throws, 1-step throws

THURSDAY
fast: 2 PM (15 hours)

Track Practice
warmup: mobility drills, 3x80m, hurdle mobility

2x40m accels

Long Jump: 3 approaches, 2 full jumps, ~6 popups
Running: 200,2x150,120,80 (4',3',3',2' rest) - 24.67, 17.29, 17.78, 15.05, 9.34

Split Squats / DB jumps (4x3L/R @ H / 6xL)
4x3L/Rx165# / 4x6x(2x20#)

Hang Power Snatch (5x3 @ M)
2x3x95#, 3x105#, 2x3x115#

Incline Bench Press (4x6 @ L)
3x6x135, 6x115

DB Pullover (2x8 @ M)
2x8x45#

DB Sprint Arm Motion
2x50x(2x10#)

Pullups + Chinups
10 + 8

Hanging Knee Raises (Straight, Side L/R)
10, 8/8

DB RDL (L/R + hold in opp. hand)
(5/5 + 5/5)x60#

Why do I write all this shit down?

Timothy Holmes
05-30-2009, 08:07 PM
FRIDAY
fast until 12 PM

Track practice (PM)
bike ride

warmup: 1x400m, mobility drills, 2x80m

Shot Put: overhead & underarm throws, standing throws, full throws
*worked on a bigger kick, and wider lead arm motion. last throw was ~9.60m
Bounding: 6x30m
Running (tempo): 100+200+100++200+100+200++100+200+100
* brutal. had to get home quickly, so I did this workout faster than usual. not very effective since I was riding home...

SATURDAY
fast until 12 PM
ate some pretty crappy food today... :( stupid, i'm trying to recover from last week's training...

Timothy Holmes
05-31-2009, 04:44 PM
SUNDAY
no fast
woke at 6.30 - 7.5 hours. sleep was very solid, I think I woke up in the same position that I fell asleep in...heh. +1 hour nap

Track Practice
bike ride

warmup: 400m, 2x80m, mobility drills, stretching

High Jump: 2x80m bends, horseshoe approaches, full jumps
Running: blocks - 3x20, 3x30, 1x40, 2x20, rest 180, 170, 160 walk

Half Squat (5x3 @ H) *first rep was a fuller squat
3x225#, 4x3x250# (wanted to put on 5# more than last time. ended with 5# less! it was because i was converting to # to kg to #.)

Power Clean (2x2 @ H)
2x185, 2x195(f-1), 2x185

Bench Press (L+)
6,5,4,3,2: 125, 135, 145, 155, 175(f-2) *1RM PR

OA 2DB Pullovers
2x8L/Rx(2x20#)

DB Sprint Arm Motion, 30"x(2x8#)
Pullups, 10
Hanging Leg Raises, 10
DB Sprint Arm Motion, 30"x(2x8#)
Chinups, 6
Hanging Knee Raises (L+R+forward), 5+5+5

Thoroughly bored with this program... I want my full squats, deadlifts and push jerks back... :(

Timothy Holmes
06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
MONDAY

Track Practice
bike ride

warmup: 2x100, mobility drills, sprint with PV pole

Pole Vault: 4-step - takeoffs, rockbacks; 12-step - takeoffs, full jumps
Running (tempo): 200+100+200++100+200+100++300+200
MB core, ~100 reps

Timothy Holmes
06-03-2009, 06:17 AM
TUESDAY

Track Practice
bike ride (harder than usual)

warmup: 400m, mobility drills, stretching

Hurdles: 2x3 5-step, 10x3 3-step from blocks *managed only 2 at the full distance... but everything is looking much nicer. these were 42", everything previously was 39"
Discus: 3 standing, 3 half-turn, 3 south african, 6 full throws

little bit of Burgener WU

Hang Power Clean
2x2x155#, 3x3x135#

HB Back Squat
5x3x225#

Bench Press
6,5,4,3,2: 135, 145, 155, 165(f-3*), 175(f-2) *Grr! Lost focus.

DB Pullover
2x8x45#

Chinups / Pullups
11 / 4, 1, 1

Hanging Knee Raises (front + L/R)
10+5L/R

Good session. I attempted a press-to-handstand during the rest between hurdles. Missed the first, totally hit the second, but it felt really easy. The benching has helped?

Timothy Holmes
06-05-2009, 09:36 AM
WEDNESDAY

bike ride (AM)
short, intense

Track Practice (PM)
warmup: drills, stretching

Shot Put
Running: 3x120m, easy, relaxed

THURSDAY

bike ride (AM)
super intense, about 30'

Track Practice (PM)
bike ride (super intense), about 20'

warmup: mobility, stretching

Long Jump: approaches, full jumps
Running (tempo): 100+100+100+100+100+100+

HB Back Squat
3x135#, 3x185#, 3x205#

Incline Bench
3x6x135#

RDL --> Deadlift
10x95#, 8x183# --> 3x2x271#

Hanging Leg Raises (front+L/R) --> FL adv. tuck hold
10+6L/R --> 4x10"

Timothy Holmes
07-18-2009, 06:39 AM
So, I've finished up my summer season UCAC. It's been a fantastic experience, I've learnt plenty.

I PB'd in the dec by 83 and then another 398.

I made a massive improvement in my flexibility. I hadn't use dynamic stretching (eg. leg swings) during my warmup, or other time really, but since I've been training with Duncan that's what the warmup mostly consisted of. Doing it 6 days per week didn't hurt either.

My running didn't improve from the time got here (11.95, 53.6). The running volume I did with Duncan didn't come close to what I did in Australia.

I discovered the effectiveness of the ice bath.

I've become much more confident with hurdles. I can actually run at them, but the rhythm is still step, step, step, jump... step, step, step. My PB now is 18.57, down from 21.22

I know how high jump is supposed to feel now. I just need to put it all together...

Discus: "See the front. See the back."

Not sure how it PB'd in PV.... Actually, I do - it was the massive tailwind... Using a 14'x170# pole that was almost too small.

Cycling to and from training helped my 1500 immensely. The 4:42 I ran felt easy. The 4:40 was in bad conditions, by myself and lots of wind, but only 1" away from a PB.

My right shoulder doesn't hurt from 3 sessions of bench pressing a week. Although, there was no OH pressing. I don't understand why my powerclean and squat didn't improve much. I was in the gym 3 days a week...

Another big surprise was being able to recover from the weekly training volume. I didn't get sick once. Previously, I didn't think I would be able to train 6 days a week and survive....

I know what it means to train like a decathlete now.

I did two decathlon in the last 3 months (* - pb):

20-21 June
5023* (2837/2186*) - 11.95, 6.24, 8.43, 1.63, 53.57; 19.83*, 25.09, 3.51, 30.50, 4:42.54

11-12 July
5421* (2822/2534*) - 11.94, 6.22, 9.66*, 1.60, 53.50; 18.57*, 30.55*, 3.90*, 31.50, 4:40.65

Steven Low
07-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice progress dude!

Glad to see it's all coming together. :)

Timothy Holmes
07-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks, Steven!

---

If anyone's interested are written up an event-by-event account of the weekend on my brother's blog. It's long-winded, and probably uninteresting to the non-combined-events-initiated... It does have some great photos though.
http://luckylockie.blogspot.com/2009/07/decathlon-that-mattered.html

I've got another week off before I hit the pre-season training hard. Last week was rockclimbing, a criterium bike race, a bit more cycling, a fun gym session (the exercises that I wanted to do), and the last three days have been whitewater kayaking. I feel more beat down now than I did a month ago...

Timothy Holmes
08-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Wednesday - planche pushup variations
Thursday (Zone) - BW circuit

Friday - Gym
3 rounds, walk through: OHS,PP,PU (10,8,6)
3 rounds, walk through: FSQ,BP,chin ups (10,8,6)
chinnies, supermen
back extensions

Saturday - whitewater kayaking
Sunday - wakeboarding, trampolining, swimming
Monday - wakeboarding, trampolining, swimming, 4.25 mile run (~37')
Tuesday - crit (20' + 3 laps)

Chest is a little sore, hamstrings are still really sore from Friday. Thursday, Friday and Saturday were Zone (13-14P/10-12C/15-20F), mostly sardines, eggs and fruit, almonds. For me, Zone is definitely the way to go. Not necessary the ratios but the disciplined eating bit.

Timothy Holmes
08-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Tabata pushups - 20-13-6-4 ... wow.
squats 22-22-22-21

Timothy Holmes
08-20-2009, 12:01 PM
THURSDAY

Gym - 10.30 AM
2-3 minutes on sets

Power Clean
5x3x135#
Had a little bit of difficulty getting full hip extension on some. Felt good when I did. Next time: 8x3 & +10#

Back Squat
5x5x185#
+10#

Shoulder Press
5x5x95#
+5#

3 rounds:
8 x 25# situp
15 kipping pullups (half-butterfly)

5x200m row, 10-9-8-7-6 damper setting
36.7, 36.7, 36.9, 37.3, 37.0

Timothy Holmes
08-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Cycling - Sprints - 5 PM
30' warmup

2 x 5", second was 1286W (pr)
3 x 20" hills
2 x 5"

BW Circuit - 6 PM
2 rounds:
17 pushups
13 hip bridge raises
13 candlestick raises
15 chinnies
15 supermen
8 situps (feet raised)
50 mountain climbers
12 x L/R calf raises
20 split squat jumps

10:30

Recovery - 8 PM
foam rolling, cold bath

Timothy Holmes
08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
FRIDAY
30' stretching

SATURDAY
crit - 40' + 3 laps. it was more of a circuit race since the laps were 2km each and had only three corners. got dropped with 10' to go, and lapped with 1 lap to go.

SUNDAY
rest

gateway to the rockies stage race has been cancelled so that was the end of my road cycling season, not that i had one... looking forward to a few weeks of carb cycling and semi-linear progression.

Timothy Holmes
08-24-2009, 12:22 PM
MONDAY

GYM
Power Clean
8x3x145#

Back Squat
5x5x195#

Bench Press
5x5x115#

Pull Ups (standard was pull as high as possible, stop when chin doesn't go over bar)
3 x max: 13, 10, 8

Tabata Thrusters (2x30#): 11,10,9,8,7,8
Tabata Burpees: 5,6,7,6

Timothy Holmes
08-26-2009, 10:10 PM
TUESDAY
30' stretching

WEDNESDAY
eggs, salsa, peach, nuts
processed chicken, lettuce, tomato, guacamole
talapia, spinach, butter, tomato, pickles
sardines, potato, guacamole
Clif bar
bread, beef, colesaw

15' stretching (8.30 AM)

Gym (1.30 PM)
warmup: row, mobility drills

Front Squat
3x3x135#
+10#

Shoulder Press
3x5x100#
+5#

Deadlift
2x5x265#
+15#

3 rounds (walkthrough, took about 15 minutes):
10 inverted rows
10/side side lunges
10/side Zelinka
10 back extension
10 KTE

Mountain Biking (6.00 PM)
3 hours - Mount Baldy
hit it hard on the highway back to the car.

Going on a 200k ride tomorrow. Not exactly sure why...

Timothy Holmes
08-27-2009, 08:28 PM
220k ride. Logged it. :D

THURSDAY
2 lara bars
Clif bar
ice cream
turkey burger, 2 cans of iced tea
3 small cookies
slurpee
Clif Builder bar
2 carrots

post-ride:
milk
blueberry, glutamine, whey protein, milk smoothie
chicken, pasta, broccoli
blueberries, raspberries, peach, yogurt

Like a true carb-fuelled endurance athlete...

Bike Ride (7 AM)
220k... logged it.

Bonked at 80k and again at 130k. due to yesterdays MTB ride and relative low-carbness. Felt awesome for the rest.

kananaskis village -- highwoood pass --> longview --> black diamond --> turner valley --> calgary

Timothy Holmes
09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
FRIDAY
GYM
Power Clean
5x3x155#

Back Squat
4x5x195#
already did those. grr.

Bench Press
5x5x135#
came up really easily

SATURDAY
In Penticton. Amazing weather.

swimming in Osoyoos Lake. awesome.

bunch of riding. knee still hurts from wednesday/thursday cycling.

quick 15 minute run around the lake in my VFFs. soleus got really tired, sore for a few days.

SUNDAY
watched Ironman Canada. woo! I'll probably end up doing one just because, but it won't be for a while. My brother and I were debating whether it could be done off-the-couch given our current endurance and swimming ability...

MONDAY
hobbling around the house for most of the day. knee still sore.

TUESDAY
found the muscle that needed releasing for my knee.

Cyclocross Training
skills: dismounting/mounting, carrying, cornering

workout (2 sets, 10' rest)
5 rounds:
ride 100m
carry 100m
10 pushups

WEDNESDAY

walked to and from the gym (~35', 3km)
GYM
did Agile 8 with some rowing for warmup

Power Clean
8x3x165#
nice. 8x3x+5#, 5x3x10#

Back Squat
5x5x205#
pretty tough. 5x5x5#, 3x5x+10#

Bench Press
5x5x145#
tough. +5#

Pullups
5+5+5

Timothy Holmes
09-09-2009, 09:05 PM
THURSDAY
cyclocross training session
45' easy ride
45' skills
20' circuit (run up hill, ride across ridge, ride down, run along ridge...)
45' moderate ride

fun times, but a stupid workout

FRIDAY
plyo session
3x7 squat jumps
3x10 double ankle bounce
3x8 lateral jumps
3x8 MB throw from knees to pushup catch
4x5 bounding

SATURDAY
climbing on Castle Mountain
2.5 hour HARD hike up to the hut (included some 5.1 climbing!)
1.5 hour rest
1.5 hour hike
2 hours climbing (2 pitches)
3.5 hour hike down in the dark... :eek:

SUNDAY
1.5 hour mountain bike (Sulphur Springs trail)
2 hour mountain bike (Prarie Link)

MONDAY
3.5 hour mountain bike (Prarie Creek trail)
It's pretty incredible how much better I was after just one day...

TUESDAY
Gym (AM)
PC - 5x3x175, missed last lift
BS - 4x5x215, felt crazy hard
BP - 1x4x155, felt like garbage - stopped

5 rounds in 5 minutes - 5 DB PP (2x40#), 5 kPU

cyclocross (PM)
45' easy ride
55' easy ride

WEDNESDAY
MB session
2x10 bounding
2x12 hop-step
1x10 bounding (w/double arm action)

MB throws (8 each or 4 each side)
squat-push press throw
forward, underarm
facing forward, sideways throw
backward, overhead
facing sideways, sideways throw
forward, overhead (w/step)

hill sprints
5 w/MB
5 w/o MB

I've been doing the Agile8 most mornings. The results are good, as expected :)

Timothy Holmes
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
THURSDAY
gym
pistols - 3x3/sidex30#
press - 5x5x100#, little recovery so last set was super hard
OL RDL - 2x10/sidex110#

hamstrings are going to hurt...

Timothy Holmes
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
FRIDAY
And hamstrings do hurt...

7.9km run. Through the park, along Bow River to 14th St and back.

SATURDAY
Introduction to Hang Gliding. Wicked!

Went out for a ride with my brother. Aim was to get a 1' power record.
--> 1' max: 684 W, 30" max: 762 W
usual silliness on the way home. Hit another record during a sign sprint.
--> 5" max: 1300 W

Timothy Holmes
09-13-2009, 04:21 PM
SUNDAY
More hang gliding. It was a bit windier so a bit more fun. Very tempted to do the intermediate course next weekend...

Gym
walked to and from (45', ~3km)

Usual Warmup

Back Squat
5x135, 3x185, 1x225
3x5x225

Bench Press
6x135, 5x155, 4x165 (f4)

Deadlift
5x185, 1x285
3x5x285

Weighted Situps - 3x12x40#

Tabata DB hang muscle/power snatch
2x6x20on/10offx40# - alternated hands each time round, got 9-11 on each, right was a bit faster than the left... strange since I'm left-handed...

Timothy Holmes
09-13-2009, 05:22 PM
SUNDAY
More hang gliding. It was a bit windier so a bit more fun. Very tempted to do the intermediate course next weekend...

Gym
walked to and from (45', ~3km)

Usual Warmup

Back Squat
5x135, 3x185, 1x225
3x5x225

Bench Press
6x135, 5x155, 4x165 (f4)

Deadlift
5x185, 1x285
3x5x285

Split Squats - 1x10/sidex95#
Weighted Situps - 3x12x40#

Tabata DB hang muscle/power snatch
2x6x20on/10offx40# - alt. hands each round, 9-11 reps each, right was a bit faster than the left... weird.

The first squat set was really easy, so much so I thought I'd be able to hit 5 sets - second set was hard.

Timothy Holmes
09-14-2009, 09:36 PM
TUESDAY

Gym (AM)
Agile8 for warmup

DB Press + Waiter's Walk for 20m
3x(6,5,4)x(2x45#)
30 burpees - 1:41

one hand bar hanging
wall extensions

Med Ball (PM)
vertical jumps - 3x10
chest throws - 3x8 (felt like this should have been 6 reps or less)

3 rounds (20 reps each):
side-overhead-side
standing leg raises
lying leg/MB raises
ball slams
russian twist
sitting chest throw

Spine extensors, glutes, rear delts, biceps, forearms are all sore.

Timothy Holmes
09-15-2009, 09:39 PM
TUESDAY
45' easy ride, 17km
15' rest
28' cyclocross suffering
60' rest
45' easy ride, 20km

Glutes (right, in particular), hamstrings, forearms, shoulders still sore.

Timothy Holmes
09-16-2009, 08:59 AM
WEDNESDAY

Gym (early AM)
Power Clean
3x60, 1x186# (80kg+10# = 186#)
3x186#(f3), 2x3x186#
Don't think I had my head in the game. Should have had that. Possibly the effect was working out earlier in the morning than I normally would. Next: same

Back Squat
5x135#, 2x225#
5x235#(f5), 5x235#, 5x235#(f5)
Same as power cleans. Or maybe I need to reset... Next: same or 10x3x235#

Shoulder Press
5x5x105#
Easy. Next: 5x5x110#

TGU - 2x3/sidex45#
Split Squat - 1x10/sidex105#

Timothy Holmes
09-18-2009, 10:32 AM
THURSDAY

Mountain Biking
Sulphur Springs, ~2 hours

Timothy Holmes
09-18-2009, 04:25 PM
FRIDAY

Gym
warmup: agile8, wall extensions

pistols - 5x(3,5,4,4,4)/sidex30#
bench press - 28x110#
OL RDL - 2x10/sidex110#

monkey swings

MB
a quick session, just in case I don't do anything tomorrow.

3 rounds:
20 ball slams
20 half moons
10/side side throws to the wall
20 lying leg/MB raises

Had eggs for breakfast. Cracked the first one - double yolker! I haven't had one of those for years... Cracked the second one - another double yolker!!! What are the chances?! ... It looked like I had six eggs floating in the water.

biking/hiking
Looking for the Canyon Creek Ice Caves.

10km of riding
45' scrambling
2 hours of crazy hard tranversing at the top of the ledge
15' of scree surfing when decided we didn't know where we were...
6km of riding

SATURDAY
lots of scouting of Red Deer River
about 3km of kayaking, class II-
put in just below Double Ledge

SUNDAY
about 1.5km of kayaking, class II+
put in above Double Ledge, hit it, hit it again - we got photos of each other when we decided that it was safe enough.

MONDAY
took the redeye from Calgary to Vancouver to visit the Australian Consulate.

Gym
Squat
5x5x235#, missed the last rep...

Press
2x5x110#, attempted the third set but didn't attempt the fourth rep...

Deadlift
2x5x300#, had to use mixed grip
1x5x300#, fail on fourth rep

short rocks
hip stretch
OL glute bridge

2 rounds Tabata Front Squat (used 47.5# DBs): 9,9
1 minute of Farmer's Walk
2 rounds Tabata Front Squat: 9,9

Timothy Holmes
10-10-2009, 04:23 AM
TUESDAY
more gym
did circuits of core exercises and MB/plyos
good day

WEDNESDAY
drinking

THURSDAY
very early morning session
box jumps, 24#, straight leg landing: 5x5, 2' rest
BSQ, triple max: worked up to 3x245#, 3x255#, 3x260#

flew to Toronto

FRIDAY
easy biking riding

SATURDAY & SUNDAY
whitewater canoeing (some kayaking)

MONDAY
packing

TUESDAY
flew to Cairo

WEDNESDAY
pyramids

THURSDAY
museum

FRIDAY

SATURDAY
flew to Dar Salaam

SUNDAY
beach

MONDAY
market

TUESDAY
bumpy, bumpy bus ride to Nairobi

WEDNESDAY
market
longish run

THURSDAY
longish run to gym

gym
BSQ, max single: worked up to 1x110, 1x120(easy), 2x1x125(f)
2nd 125kg attempt became 5 forced reps

superset
pullups, dips: 4x2x(3 pullups w/15kg, 4 dips w/20kg)
DB between ankles

bum circuit, 3 rounds:
hip stretch
20,20 SL hip bridges
20 candlestick raises
hip/quad stretch
25,25 birddogs
20 russina twists

metcon (untimed), 7 rounds:
10 60kg deadlift
10 pushups

longish run from gym (faster than comfortable, late for 9:00am checkout...)

flew to Mauritius

FRIDAY
deported from/departed Mauritius

SATURDAY
stuck in Dubai

I haven't been eating enough. I probably should have rocked the 125kg squat. Hamstrings still pretty sore. I chose a bad day to go to the gym. Since then I've had less than 6 hours sleep (over 48 hours).

Timothy Holmes
12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Back in Melbourne.

I'm starting training on Sunday under Larisa Turchinskaya (former European heptathlon record holder). Awesome!

Did a decathlon last weekend:
12.48 (-4.1), 6.28 (4.1), 9.84, 1.70, 53.49; 18.20 (-0.5), 29.72, 3.50, 28.79, 4:44.78; 5280 (wind assisted, technically)

worst 100 ever, pb in shot and hurdles, equal pb in high, sb in 400, bombed out in pole, solid 1500.

Timothy Holmes
12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
SUNDAY
track - 9.30 AM (3 hours)

discus
shot put
javelin
5x300, 100m walk

bench press, 3x10x50
split squat jumps, 3x10x30
tuck jumps, 3x10x30
front squat, 3x50, 3x60, 3x70, 3x80, 3x85

MONDAY
DOMS hamstrings, glutes, quads, lower abs
sore elbow

track - 11 AM (3 hours)

shot put
hurdles
long jump
high jump
4x150, walkback

TUESDAY
DOMS hamstrings, glutes, lower abs

track - 4 PM (4 hours)

hurdles
long jump, w/6x40 buildups
javelin

bench press, 4x8x60
wrist curls, 4x15x20
wrist un-curls, 4x8x20

ice bath, 3' cold/3' hot/3' cold

Timothy Holmes
12-30-2009, 02:45 AM
WEDNESDAY
light DOMS hamstrings, glutes, lower abs, calves
sore elbow, shoulder (javelin)

track - 3.30 PM (2 hours, really hot day)

discus
shot put
conditioning: 4 x (10 muscle snatches, 20 split squat jumps, 40m accel, 3' rest)

Timothy Holmes
01-01-2010, 01:55 AM
THURSDAY
very light DOMS hamstrings, glutes, lower abs
severe DOMS left shoulder (just behind most lateral deltoid)
sore elbow, shoulder (javelin)

track - 9.30 PM (4 hours, hot day)

shot put
high jump
javelin
2x300, ~41.5", 3' rest

ice bath, 3' cold/3' hot/3' cold/3' hot/3' cold

FRIDAY
scheduled rest day

feeling generally stiff around hips
severe DOMS left shoulder (just behind most lateral deltoid)
DOMS calves
sore elbow, shoulder (better than last few days)

home - 11 AM (1.5 hours)
jav drills (weighted ball throws against wall)
60' yoga video
Y, L, cuban press

Timothy Holmes
01-06-2010, 03:06 AM
SATURDAY
scheduled rest day

home - 5 PM (0.5 hour)

~40 weighted balls throws at wall

SUNDAY
feeling great

track - 9.30 AM (3.5 hours)

hurdles
shot put
javelin
gym: bench (4x10x50), circuit (wrist, face pulls, russian twists, pullups-4x6, sit ups, candlesticks)

MONDAY
feeling good, sore but good
severe DOMS abs, hip flexors

track - 10 AM (3 hours)

shot put
discus
high jump
gym: power cleans (4x8x50), calf raises/toe raises (4x10x135#/4x10)

TUESDAY
sore shoulder

track - 4 PM (4 hours)

*started with a brutal conditioning workout-style warmup
hurdles
long jump
javelin
300+200+100, 100m walk; 300+100, 100m walk
gym: deadlift (10x60, 6x90, 2x6x120), circuit (back-x, sit ups, candlesticks)

WEDNESDAY
sore R outside glute-hamstring tie-in
DOMS acute upper-inner bicep

track - 3.30 PM (1.5+1.5 hours)

high jump
discus
multi-throws: forward between legs, backward overhead (best of 10 each - 10.90, 11.43)

pole vault
gym in circuit form: face pulls (4x15x35#), bench (4x10x50), wrist curls (4x20,15,12,10x20;4x10,8,8,7x20), pullups (4x7)

Timothy Holmes
01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
THURSDAY
feeling okay, not great, just okay...
DOMS/slight strain/overuse right lower glute

track - 10 AM (2.5 hours)
high jump
javelin
4x400, 2' slow jog recovery: 71.6, 71.6, 67.0, 70.1

FRIDAY
really looking forward to tomorrow's rest
overuse right lower glute (not as bad as yesterday)

track - 8.30 AM (4 hours)

discus
shot put
gym: power snatches (4x4x50), half squats (4x4x102.5), circuit (back-x, sit ups, candlesticks, wrist curls, russian twists, face pulls)

Timothy Holmes
01-10-2010, 01:00 AM
SATURDAY
scheduled rest day
right hip tightness flared up again. trigger-pointed the shit out of it

didn't get much stretching/foam rolling/yoga done. pretty sucky rest day

SUNDAY
got no sleep, maybe 5-6 solid hours
ate one huge meal after training (ending an 18 hour fast), smaller meal later

nothing particularly troublesome: bit of an ache in left shoulder, twinge in right glute/ham

track 9.30 PM (4.5 hours)

pole vault (drills)
hurdles
discus
shot put
6x150, walkback

ice bath, 3' cold/3' hot/3' cold/3' hot/3' cold

Timothy Holmes
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
MONDAY
Didn't get as much sleep as I wanted, about 7.5 hours. Lack of sleep is catching up with me today. There's not much point training like a mofo if I'm not getting the recovery...

Ate at 2, 4 & 6, 16 hour fast. Not fasting tomorrow, it's probably detrimental without adequate sleep.

No body issues.

track - 8.30 PM (3.5 hours)

shot put
discus
javelin
gym (everything felt heavy...)

Timothy Holmes
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
TUESDAY

track - 6.30 PM (1.5 hours)
10 x 40 buildups
plyos: 5x10L+10R hops (~65m), 5x40m step bounds (11-13)
grass runthroughs, 8-ish

WEDNESDAY
surprised that right glute didn't hurt from bounding. must have been the deadlifts...

track - 3.30 PM (4.5 hours)
high jump
shot put
hurdles (3 from blocks)

pole vault

THURSDAY
complete rest day

FRIDAY

track - 9.30 PM (1.5 hours)
discus

SATURDAY
competition
110mH: 17.8h, pb, into a large headwind, fighting to maintain 3 steps
discus: 28.xx
pole vault: 3.50 (10-steps, -disappointed)
4x100: 49.xx (guys on the inside stumpled and fell into my lane, he broke his wrist - the hyperflexion way, ewww...)

SUNDAY
rest

MONDAY
rest

Timothy Holmes
01-22-2010, 12:35 AM
TUESDAY
light sled pulls (technique/posture/activation work)

WEDNESDAY
rest day

THURSDAY
competition:
400h: 59.9h
HT: 17.53
SP: 10.51, pb
HJ: 1.70
4x400
3k: 10,57.0

FRIDAY

track, 3.5 hours
discus (good on a scale for terrible-poor-okay-good-very good-fantastic, :))
jav drills (okay)
gym: snatch, jerk, circuit
lots of stretching

later...
1k jog, stretching

Timothy Holmes
01-28-2010, 01:33 AM
SATURDAY
rest day

SUNDAY

track - 11.00 AM
HURDLES
DISCUS
BOUNDING - 3x100: 36, 33, 35; 3x100 fast: 41, 41, 43
GYM - bench (3x10x50), pullups (3x8), circuit x3

MONDAY

track - 4.30 PM
HURDLES
JAVELIN
LONG JUMP
RUNNING - 4x300, 1x150, r: 100m walk

TUESDAY

track - 8.30 AM
HIGH JUMP + takeoff drills later
SHOT PUT
RUNNING - blocks: 6x30m
GYM - jump circuit x4 (box split jump 20x20kg, tuck jump, vert jump), bench/face pulls (3x10x50), pullups (6x3 fast), circuit (wrist(3), back-x, r-twists, V-ups, ankle-to-bar)

WEDNESDAY

track - 10.00 AM
DISCUS
JAVELIN

track - 6.00 PM
POLE VAULT
RUNNING - 6x150, r:3'

THURSDAY

track - 9.30 AM
HIGH JUMP
HURDLES
SHOT PUT
RUNNING - 600+600+300, r:30"
GYM - bench/e.pushups (5x3x65/5x3), DSJ (2x20x30kg), f-pulls, pullups (2x12), circuit x2 (monkey swings, back-x, situps, r-twists, V-ups)