PDA

View Full Version : Books on Nutrition

Júlíus G. Magnússon
06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
This is not just paleo specific, but this seemed like as good a place as any to post this.

I'm wondering about books on nutrition.

I currently own one book on nutrition: Fighter's Body: An Owner's Manual (http://www.amazon.com/Fighters-Body-Nutrition-Exercise-Excellence/dp/1880336812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213230993&sr=8-1).

It was crappy to say the least and has gotten me weary of ordering nutrition books off Amazon even if they're rated highly.

What are some of your favourites? I'm interested in pretty much anything that has to do with nutrition.

I have read Enter the Zone and the abovementioned book, but that's it so I'm very open to pretty much any suggestions.

I also heard a mention of some book about natural hormonal enhancement, but I can't seem to remember which one it was and the searches I've made on Amazon yield some pretty unconvincing titles.

So, please fire away with recommendations.

Jonathan Owen
06-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I really enjoyed Protein Power by Michael Eades; I am waiting to get this back from a buddy of mine so I can read it again.

Derek Weaver
06-11-2008, 09:05 PM
the book about natural hormonal enhancement is called... Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Dan Faigin (I think that's how you spell his last name)

You can probably learn the basics just by searching through the archives on this board.

I have honestly learned as much about nutrition here and before this, on the CF board as I could from a book.

Get a library card if you really want to read the books and check them out instead of buying.

Other suggestions for reading... Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and any old school wrestling or football conditioning book/manual from the 60's and 70's.

Jay Cohen
06-12-2008, 02:27 AM
I have a few posted on my blog.
See link in Sig.

Dan Heaney
06-12-2008, 02:44 AM
the book about natural hormonal enhancement is called... Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Dan Faigin (I think that's how you spell his last name)

You can probably learn the basics just by searching through the archives on this board.

I have honestly learned as much about nutrition here and before this, on the CF board as I could from a book.

Get a library card if you really want to read the books and check them out instead of buying.

Other suggestions for reading... Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and any old school wrestling or football conditioning book/manual from the 60's and 70's.

Great Advice!! I also buy used from Amazon but the library is the way to go (I'm a librarian)

Matt Lawson
06-12-2008, 03:38 AM
-Protein power life plan
-Lights out, sleep sugar and survival
-the paleo diet
-Free literature for download on the Paleo diet site.
-The zone books
-The Underground Body Opus (if u can find it)

These were all recomended (except the Body Opus book) to me by other members of the board. Great reads and totaly packed with info.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
06-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Rob Faigin? http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hormonal-Enhancement-Rob-Faigin/dp/B000HFBQ60/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1213266902&sr=8-2
Because, damn... That one is fucking expensive. Have you read it? Is it worth the sixty bucks?

The selection in the libraries over here is awful. I did manage to find Enter the Zone in a library, though.

I have Practical Programming and the first version of Starting Strength and I'm getting the second version now as well because Rip is awesome. Also getting Strong Enough because, well... Rip is awesome.

Also, I decided to go for:
Dr. Nicholas Romanov's Pose Method of Running
The Paleo Diet for Athletes
The Paleo Diet
Good Calories, Bad Calories

Wanted to get Essentials of Weightlifting and Strength Training as well, but Amazon doesn't have it stock. It's expensive, but I hear it's worth it. (Also, it's not really that expensive when you consider that it costs $115 over here.)

Any other must-haves?

I'm also really interested in knowing wether or not Natural Hormonal Enhancement is worth the sixty bucks.

Michael Hill
06-12-2008, 06:08 AM
NHE is ok, but you can get most of the same information on hormonal changes related to diet in either the Anabolic diet or Metabolic diet books and they are a lot cheaper than $60.

I also highly recommend two others:

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price

Good calories, bad calories by Gary Taubes

The latter is not a difficult a read as some make it out to be. Yes it is more technical than most, but well worth it IMO.

Darryl Shaw
06-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Clinical Sports Nutrition (third edition) by Louise Burke and Vicki Deakin. - This is a huge book (think phone directory big) and it's ridiculously expensive but it's simply the most complete and up to date book on sports nutrition there is. Definitely one for those with a background in science.

The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition: How to Eat for Maximum Performance by Anita Bean. - An excellent book; up to date scientific research, well written and presented. In many respects this is a better book than Clinical Sports Nutrition because it's a fraction of the price but more importantly you don't need to a science degree to make sense of it.

Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond. - An interesting new book on the paleo diet which is well written and more up to date than Cordain's books.

Waistland: The R/evolutionary Science Behind Our Weight and Fitness by Deirdre Barrett. - The psychology of eating and why the instincts that helped us thrive as a species during the stone age are making us fat today.

Mike ODonnell
06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Zone is good to get a basic understanding of insulin control
Protein Power is a must read in my book
Haven't read Good Calories/Bad Calories yet but sounds like a good read
Wouldn't spend $ on NHE....google Metabolic Diet or search the PM/CF forum for it...I am sure it's been discussed at lengths end at some point....
Good call on the Body Opus....good read....

in the end with the internet and forums you can find all the same info talked about for free with a little effort...here's a couple good places to go too
http://www.westonaprice.org/basics.html
http://www.beyondveg.com/index.shtml
http://paleodiet.com/

Those sites will keep you busy for weeks......

Craig Loizides
06-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Check ebay or Amazon's used books. I recently got NHE for $10. You can get a lot of the more well known books (Zone, Protein Power, Paleo Diet, etc) for under $5 including shipping.

The only book I'd add to what's already been mentioned is The Omnivore's Dilemma. It's not exactly a nutrition book, but it's a really interesting look at the food supply.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
06-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I just want to make sure, though... Those of you who are talking about Protein Power, is this (http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Power-Lifeplan-Michael-Eades/dp/0446678678/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213352239&sr=8-2) what you're talking about?

Because it looks really cheesy.

Garrett Smith
06-13-2008, 05:49 AM
From my short bit of reading of the original Protein Power book (not LifePlan) on the parts about the Egyptian high-carb diet and poor health, the Eades write very well and make an entertaining read...

Liam Dougherty Springer
06-13-2008, 02:38 PM
I recently ran across The Paleo Diet for Athletes and was wondering if it was worth reading.

A book I found incredibly informative and extreemly well researched and informative was "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes

Craig Loizides
06-13-2008, 09:22 PM
The Paleo Diet For Athletes is geared towards endurance athletes (or maybe people who work out more than once a day). It's pretty much The Paleo Diet plus pre/post workout nutrition which is mostly paleo carbs. I enjoyed it though.

I agree, Good Calories Bad Calories is my favorite.

Does anyone know if there is a big difference between Protein Power and Protein Power Lifeplan?

Darryl Shaw
06-14-2008, 05:30 AM
The Okinawa Way by Bradley J. Willcox, Makoto Suzuki and Craig D. Willcox. - If you want to know how to live a long healthy life ask an Okinawan. If you don't happen to know any Okinwans read this book instead and discover the diet and lifestyle secrets of the worlds healthiest and most longevous people.

www.okicent.org

Scott Kustes
06-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Yes, that's the PPLP that you should be reading. It's an excellent nutrition book, covering quite a few aspects that other books don't. What's that old saying about judging a book by its cover? ;)

Craig, no clue of the differences in the two. Only read PPLP. I believe PPLP was an updated version of the original PP, but I might be wrong. It happened once.