PDA

View Full Version : broken capillaries caused by inversion

Jeff Yan
06-11-2008, 08:36 PM
A few days ago, I was practicing progressing toward a back lever by inverting myself and very slowly lowering. I think it caused a few capillaries in my face to bust. I generally feel perfectly fine being upside down when doing handstand push ups, but maybe it's different on the rings. Is there any specific way to prevent the broken capillaries or is this something I'll get used to used to after more practice?

Steven Low
06-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Your body will get used to it.

Also, consider it may not be the inversion but the increased blood pressure from a high tension movement.

Garrett Smith
06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Starting with negatives on the back lever may be a bit much. You may want to start with timed holds in a tuck or extended tuck a la Coach Sommer.

I'm guessing you'll adapt, and that Steven is likely right about it being tension and not the inversion causing the issue.

Liam Dougherty Springer
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Capellaries often brake in my face as well. It does seem to be happening a little less over time, however it always happens when doing high rep sets of HSPUs in between heavy lifts. The perfect example is Diane 225 is a heavy lift so my heart is slamming after 21 then immidiatly busting out 19 or 21 HSPUs in a row seems to be a bit much for those poor little veins around my eyes. However I have done multiple sets of high rep HSPUs 17 and above and as long as I am rested in between I have done over 100 with hardly any broken capellaries.

I figured as has already been said that when going into any inversion after difficult full body lifts is the right combination for a polka-dot face mask.

I also figured it didn't cause any long term damage to anything except my ego after walking around looking like a 15 year old in the midst of a pubescent acne breakout.

If anyone thinks I am wrong about that please speak up until the I'm not gonna trip off it. What am I supposed to do not work out so hard. lol
Yeah right.

Blair Lowe
06-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Pressure doing strength holds is a lot more than something moving in inversion. All body tension instead of localized tension.

Build slowly up to it. Handstands, headstands, candlestick holds, rolling.