PDA

View Full Version : Fruit PWO question

Greg Davis
06-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok so I have completely ditched PWO shakes, and my workouts are pretty brief so I don't do carb replenishing.

BUT, now that the summer weather is here for me, (I'm much more active), I like to enjoy some seasonal fruits a bit more. And I try to have them in the AM.

AND, on many days I like to workout on an empty stomach. So, sometimes this means that my first meal after a workout is some fruit. I remember reading way back that fructose is not what you want PWO. Should I try to have a PRO+veg meal to break my fast first? My instinct is to just not worry about it and have some fruit+nuts after a workout (not every time either) and then follow up with my PRO+veg meals for lunch/dinner.

I usually don't eat for at least an hour after a workout.. and I don't like to have PRO+fruit meals cuz it makes me feel bloated.

Since I know others around here are in to morning fasted workouts, was wondering how you are managing this.

Mike ODonnell
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
My instinct is to just not worry about it and have some fruit+nuts after a workout (not every time either) and then follow up with my PRO+veg meals for lunch/dinner.

Go with your instincts....I like fruits pwo if I am still fasted to help replenish liver glycogen...as the liver is key to all things muscle building and fat burning.

Nothing tastes as good as a hard workout on a summers day and enjoying a cold watermellon afterwards....Mmmmmmmmmmm

There's something to be said for fruit being great pwo also because of all the antioxidants your body will use to stop free radical damage and also keep cortisol pwo in check.

Garrett Smith
06-16-2008, 12:48 PM
A bit of seasonal fruit and nuts sounds fine to me PWO.

Steve Liberati
06-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Fruit to refill liver glycogen and yams to refill muscle glycogen.

Mike ODonnell
06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Fruit to refill liver glycogen and yams to refill muscle glycogen.

or Guinness to do both! (in theory of course....)

Chris Bardwell
06-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Nothing tastes better to me than some nice cold/fresh fruit post workout so I always have a few pieces with some meat or eggs. My post workout meals look much like Devany's W/F/S Breakfast (http://www.arthurdevany.com/2007/05/another_breakfa.html)

I feel it does me a lot of good as well as hit me with antioxidants and re-load my liver glycogen.

Brian Shanks
07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Hmmm!

Guinness after a morning workout?

MOD, me thinks you might be on to something.

Might make the work day go by quicker also.

I have recently just switched to sucking down my fruit shake with just protein after my morning workout. I used to just suck down some protein and then drink my fruit shake with my eggs, but I have switched to drinking protein shake and fruit shake post workout, then waiting about an hour to devour my eggs. I have only been doing this about a week so not sure what the outcome is going to be.

Cheers

Bry

Scott Kustes
07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Even if it didn't speed up the work day, it would make it infinitely more enjoyable. Can't discount that.

Gant Grimes
07-18-2008, 11:16 AM
or Guinness to do both! (in theory of course....)

There's a guy that works out at Rip's--Paul Bunyan looking dude--that sits in his truck and drinks a beer before every workout.

Mike ODonnell
07-18-2008, 11:56 AM
There's a guy that works out at Rip's--Paul Bunyan looking dude--that sits in his truck and drinks a beer before every workout.

Largest/Strongest guys I know....drink beer. Can't discount what works! That and I don't trust anyone that I can't drink a beer with.....besides Steak and Guinness PWO meals....how can you beat that? Mmmmmmmm.....(drooling...)

I think you will also notice any guys that live to be over 100 and are still functional and strong have 4 things in common......they still work a manual job....they drink beer....they eat red meat....they chase women.

Tony Ferous
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I think you will also notice any guys that live to be over 100 and are still functional and strong have 4 things in common......they still work a manual job....they drink beer....they eat red meat....they chase women.

Mike if you count a gym session as manual work, i did all the above yesterday, and i can tell you, i feel about 100 years old today!! If i had actually caught a women, i would be feeling even older! But smuger too probably...