PDA

View Full Version : Varied, Hard, Fun, Short Work for Desk Jockeys

Mark Fenner
06-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi all,

I'd like to gather a toolbox of short metcons. I'm not familiar enough with the base CF workouts to know which ones are supposed to be short and which ones are "marathons".

I suppose we need to define "short". My inclination is to say under 10 or 12 minutes (similar to Gant's Hybrid Program thread). This would put a two mile run at the long end (ok, at the long end for some of us). However, something like 10x100m with (in)complete rest would also be nice to include because it's fun and hard.

I have a whole folder full of various complexes with barbells. But, honestly, I like my barbells heavy. I'll try to outline (or link to) some of the articles but I'm strongly leaning towards keeping my barbells heavy and my conditioning work sans barbell. So, sledgehammers, kettlebells, dumbbells, tires, kegs, running, jumping, medicine balls, sleds, calisthenics, rings, etc. seem much more appealing. Especially using them in planes that don't normally get hit in the artificial world of the weightroom.

So, maybe I'm not looking so much at metcons per se, but just varied, hard, fun, short work for those of us that are desk jockeys most of our days. In which case, post your favorites!

One of mine, that I really like, is Tabata sledgehammer swings against a tire -- I like to do 5 right to left diagonal, 5 left to right diagonal, 5 straight down and then pick up where I left off for the next cycle.

An old standby running protocol is sprint the straights, walk the curves on a 400m track, repeat as necessary.

Jumping: a parkour running session would certainly qualify as fun, but would probably be a bit longer if you aren't good enough to push the intensity. Practicing "tricks" would fall in a similar category. Maybe a simple plyometrics routine, outdoors would be good enough (I personally enjoy doing simple jumping drills outside, barefoot -- maybe my boredom threshold is pretty high).

Now that I've written this, I realize I need to poke back through Dan John's "Carried Away" DVD and Forencich's "Play as if Your Life Depends on It". Ross Enamait's books also have lots of ideas.

Regards,
Mark

Garrett Smith
06-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Double Tabatas, done for 6 rounds. I like alternating V-ups and push-ups at work.

Or pick a metcon and simply stop doing it at 10 minutes. Try to do more within that timeframe the next time.

James R. Climer
06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
AMRAP in 10 minutes:
25 wall ball shots, 20# ball
25 ball slams, 20 # ball

James Evans
06-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Burpee intervals - 30 seconds work, 30 seconds rest for between 6 and 12 intervals.

Jump rope 100 turns (double unders if you can)
20 Ball slams or 15 burpees
60 second rest
6 rounds
(These first too are Ross E)

Kettlebell snatches 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps each arm

20 Kettlebell swings
5 Kettlebell snatches each arm
3 rounds

Kettlebell snatches or clean & jerk (one arm at a time)
60 seconds
50 seconds
40 seconds
30 seconds
20 seconds
10 seconds
Count total reps

20 KB swings
Sprint 20 metres
15 Burpees
Run back
5 rounds

15 Thrusters
12 Sumo Deadlift High Pull
10 Burpees
5 rounds
(this is actually a bitch - I use a 30kg bar but a sandbag would be a good substitute and you could drop to 3 rounds and up the intensity)

Pinched from Alwyn Cosgrove:
24 squats
24 lunges (12 left, 12 right)
24 jump lunges (12 left, 12 right)
12 jump squats

Every 30 seconds for 7 minutes perform a 20 metre shuttle run (sprint) touching the ground on 20 metres. That's 15 intervals. Should be roughly a reverse tabata of 10 secs work - 20 secs rest. (Thanks Rob Shaul for that).

Experiment. See what works and what doesn't. Some of Ross' stuff I find relatively straightforward, others crush me.

Dave Van Skike
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I like one I saw on Nick McKinless's blog.

basic, pull and push.

row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups.......

sub Pushups for burpees, or KB clean and press or whatever.

Nice and simple with zero gymnastical jackassery.

Garrett Smith
06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
On the rowing note:

20 rounds of
20 sec. hard rowing
40 sec. rest

I pick a power output and try to keep each round's wattage above that number.

John Alston
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
There's some nice barbell complexes down a little in this thread http://www.irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=195030&start=50

Ben Langford
06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 KB Snatches
split with
Run 100m

15-30-15
Burpees
Sit ups
Back Extensions

James Evans
06-26-2008, 04:41 AM
I like one I saw on Nick McKinless's blog.

basic, pull and push.

row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups
row 500m
20 pushups.......

sub Pushups for burpees, or KB clean and press or whatever.

Nice and simple with zero gymnastical jackassery.

I left the C2 out of the equation because Mark didn't mention it but if we're allowed that:

Row 500m
Tabata 1
Row 500m
Tabata 2
Row 500m
Tabata 3
Row 500m
Tabata 4

Transition as quickly as possible between row and tabatas (will not be very quick by the last one). 8 intervals per tabata. Use burpees, swings, snatches, squats, db push presses, db thrusters etc.

James Evans
06-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Other stupid shit I've done:

Clean & Press a keg 5 times
Flip tire 25 metres (with in and out jump each rep)
Snatch heavy db (with curiously thick handle) 5 times each arm
Roll tire back to start
Repeat for 5 rounds

Swing a db 21 times
Chuck the db into an already loaded wheelbarrow (making it about 50kg) and wheel the bastard 300m
20 Box jumps
Grab an awkward weight (in this case a telegraph pole - sandbag will do), shoulder it and run 100m. Change shoulders. Run back
Repeat for 4 rounds.

Stuff like this is fun but takes longer. Totally different feeling to banging out 50 or 100 burpees against the clock.

Derek Simonds
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I did two rounds of the c2 push pull stuff this morning.

row 500 m
5 dips
5 pushups

That was fun and I will start adding more stuff like that in.

Allen Yeh
06-26-2008, 11:25 AM
The majority of the metcon's that are a part of the CA WOD are sub 10 minute efforts.

One I liked with a rower
200m row
10 pushball
300m row
10 swings
400m row
10 slamball
500m row

This morning I modified it slightly and added something to the beginning so I end up rowing 1500m not 1400m.
100m
10 burpees

Mark Fenner
06-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Other stupid shit I've done:
Flip tire 25 metres (with in and out jump each rep)

James,

This was funny to read: I'm visiting my parents. One of the few "implements" I have here is a large-ish tire (a retired sandbox). I've done several things with it (attack it with a sledgehammer, flip it up hill and roll it back down (trying not to let it roll into my parents fine house), etc.). But, I was just thinking that:

flip-hop in-hop out-turn-flip-hop-hop-turn-repeat would be fun

I think tomorrow will be flipping, hopping, and hammering (and maybe pushup-ing). Shoulders a bit "under the weather" right now, so I'll have to keep things under control. I've been following the "scorched earth ibuprofen" (which made me laugh pretty darn hard!).

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this pool of ideas.

Stuff like this is fun but takes longer. Totally different feeling to banging out 50 or 100 burpees against the clock.

Definitely, that's part of why I put "varied" in the thread title: 50 or 100 burpees seems an awful lot like running for 20 minutes (or however long that many burpees would take). Granted, I know that it isn't the same ... and it certainly wouldn't feel the same ... but it's right there: over and over and over and ...

Best,
Mark

Mark Fenner
06-26-2008, 06:42 PM
The majority of the metcon's that are a part of the CA WOD are sub 10 minute efforts.

Allen,

That's a darn good point. Thank you!

Mark

Dave Gibbs
06-26-2008, 06:50 PM
did this at end of my strength session last night
AMRAP 10 mins
250m row
7 C&J 55kg
7 HSPUs
made 4 rounds minus a few HSPUs. The C&Js killed me.

James Evans
06-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Definitely, that's part of why I put "varied" in the thread title: 50 or 100 burpees seems an awful lot like running for 20 minutes (or however long that many burpees would take). Granted, I know that it isn't the same ... and it certainly wouldn't feel the same ... but it's right there: over and over and over and ...

Best,
Mark

I've done 50 burpees in 4 minutes. There will be some people who post here who can do it considerably faster. It's not that bad. Until you stop. Anyone else notice that?

Tabata sledgehammers are only something I've tried once and it wasn't really a success. I had two sledges at home, one light, one heavy. Leant the light one to someone and have never seen it since. The heavy hammer is too slow for tabatas (I think Ross advises this?) and I really didn't feel like I was doing much work. And the head kept coming off the handle which didn't make it any easier but added a bit of agility work as tried to dodge the thing in mid-flight.

On the other hand I have plenty of experience of using the sledge for what it was actually intended for and you damn well know you've done some work after that.

Dave Van Skike
06-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I've done 50 burpees in 4 minutes. There will be some people who post here who can do it considerably faster. It's not that bad. Until you stop. Anyone else notice that?

Sooth..

A number of things I've done over the years struck me as way worse when you stop than when you're doing it. a minute and change of searing pain followed by an hour of nausea.

Kilo on a track bike. Max reps in deadlift for a minute and sandbag cleans with bodyweight........those things are pure money. no-one shouldl go through life without partaking in deep and humiliating full body pain of this sort. it's illuminating.

Mark Fenner
06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
The heavy hammer is too slow for tabatas (I think Ross advises this?) and I really didn't feel like I was doing much work. And the head kept coming off the handle which didn't make it any easier but added a bit of agility work as tried to dodge the thing in mid-flight.

A firm handle/head definitely helps. I've done my Tabata swings against a tire. The rebound from the tire ups the cycle time. It also adds a target (because the tire I use has deep treads that cause oblique bounces if you aren't careful).

I did 10/10/10 swings + 10 pushups + 10 flip-n-hop-hop for rounds in 10 minutes. I got just shy of 4 full rounds (45 seconds additional completed round 4). I didn't feel like I was gunning through it ... I think 5+ or 6 rounds would be a good possibilty for me. The tire isn't terribly heavy, but it ain't light either. It's an old rear tire tractor.

Mark