PDA

View Full Version : protein block measurement

Joel Barnett
07-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Hello,

This seems like such a basic question I am almost embarresed to ask. I have searched and have not found a definitive answer though.

When weighing meat for a protein block, is the meat to be weighed uncooked or cooked for 1oz. to be a block? According to CFJ#21 it says cooked, but I have seen passing references that appear to contradict that.

Usually when cooking, it is much easier to weigh uncooked, then cook and eat. However, for packing lunches I usually grill a bunch of meat on Sunday to put in the fridge and pack for lunch/snacks during the week. For those portions, weighing uncooked would be much more convenient. If uncooked 1oz equals 1 block, is there a standard conversion for cooked weight to equal a block?

Thanks very much to anyone that has any advice for me.

John Alston
07-01-2008, 12:58 PM
http://www.kottke.org/plus/misc/images/pork_jason.jpg

Joel Barnett
07-01-2008, 01:06 PM
OK, now that is funny! Especially since this week I happened to grill up 10 boneless pork loin chops from Costco for lunches/snacks! No...that isn't me on the billboard though. :)

Liam Dougherty Springer
07-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Here is a link I like using when I have questions as to macronutrient content of foods. http://www.nutritiondata.com/ The truth is depending on the meat product it will very some times significantly obviousely the leaner the meat the less you need to equal 1 block. Turkey breast raw has 7g of protein and it is deffinatly the leanest meat you can find so anything else is going to be less. Chx 6 Steak like 5 1/2 etc. I also find it easiest to measure meat raw so I just look each one up individualy.

Joel Barnett
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks very much! That is a great resource.

Looks like 1oz of raw meat (whatever) is 6 g protein. Cooked chicken is 9 g protein. I'd say it balances out if I WAM, as most of my meals are eaten away from work. There is 10 protein portions in a 5 day work week where I would be eating a pre-cooked 1oz weighed portion, but a lot more than that total per week!

Close enough for the girls I go with. :)

Thanks again!