PDA

View Full Version : The Avocado Chronicles

Yuen Sohn
07-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Date: July 9th, 2008
Meal: Dinner
Type of avocado consumed: Hass (possibly a Lamb Hass)

Comments: This avocado was the ideal companion to my spicy, South American style rotisserie chicken. A winning combo. I ate with such zeal that I abandoned the fork and knife midway through and finished the meal with my hands.

John Alston
07-10-2008, 07:00 AM
7/9
Having picked up take out chicken with Yoon earlier, should I be surprised to see such a similarity in how it was eaten at home?
I smeared half a Hass on a couple pieces of oat nut bread and at half the chicken myself. Eating alone, I saw no need for utensils from the start.

sarena kopciel
07-10-2008, 07:14 AM
How about I downed some avocado oil straight from the green glass bottle?? Maybe I will try that one later....

Seriously, gentleman avocado oil is worthy of invention on all the meat and yeah--our greens too! That and mac nut oil--separately of course!

Margie Lempert
07-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Incredible timing, Yoon since I have suddenly found myself on avocado avenue.

July 9th:

Lunch: type of avocado unknown
Comments: addition to grilled chicken salad. Clearly the standout in an otherwise tearfully boring meal.

Dinner: type of avocado unknown
Comments: This sushi meal highlighted avocado in all its glorious flexibility: as the thick, silky base for a wasabi guacamole topping to tuna carpaccio, diced up with apples and tucked underneath tuna tar tar, and blended with mayo and goat cheese for a scrumptious dip to fried fish.

After two sapporos, I too dropped my chopsticks and went trolling with my greedy little piglets.

Coming up today at lunch: organic hass avocado sliced up with steamed baby summer squash, beet greens, tomato and salt and pepper chicken.
Comments: I am rolling in monounsaturated fat.

Allen Yeh
07-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Did avocado's go on sale in NY or something?

sarena kopciel
07-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for reminding me Margie--
I too had my avocado alongside some delicious stirfried greens and grilled salmon for lunch yesterday.

Why yes Allen, avocados are at an all time low in NYC:p

Yuen Sohn
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
7/9
Having picked up take out chicken with Yoon earlier, should I be surprised to see such a similarity in how it was eaten at home?
I smeared half a Hass on a couple pieces of oat nut bread and at half the chicken myself. Eating alone, I saw no need for utensils from the start.
Messy meals eaten with hands=supremely awesome. I had bits of avocado on my face and under my fingernails.

Yuen Sohn
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Dinner: type of avocado unknown
Comments: This sushi meal highlighted avocado in all its glorious flexibility: as the thick, silky base for a wasabi guacamole topping to tuna carpaccio, diced up with apples and tucked underneath tuna tar tar, and blended with mayo and goat cheese for a scrumptious dip to fried fish.

Thank you for logging Margie! This will be tough to beat.

Yuen Sohn
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Did avocado's go on sale in NY or something?
Apparently so! The grassroots movement to increase global avocado consumption starts here.

Allen Yeh
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
There was guacomole on my BBQ Pork Nachos at lunch today.

Margie Lempert
07-10-2008, 05:28 PM
There was guacomole on my BBQ Pork Nachos at lunch today.

Wow. I think that could be possibly one of the best food combinations ever.

Paul McKirdy
07-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I have no clue what this is about I just saw avocado and had to comment. Avocado is now formally known to me as solid booster propellant. Olive oil is JP5. :)

I'm following mostly Westside protocols at the moment and every day I eat a whole avocado about 30-60 minutes before evening game-time in the iron battlefield and wholly shinola. Tuesday I did a 50 pound jump on 3 rep set chain loaded dynamic effort box squat. After the first set on the +50 weight I swear I felt like some kind of massive chemical turbo was going off energy sky rocketed. The only other supplements I take are fish oil, vitamin C and ZMA(brand new) sometimes I carpet bomb with vitamin I for prevention. I did two more sets at this same weight. I backed away from the bar to leave lots in the tank for abs and good mornings :D. The jump was from 454 at the top to 504 at the top.

Is there anything better than getting better?

Yuen Sohn
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I have no clue what this is about I just saw avocado and had to comment.

Paul,
That's pretty much the essence of this thread. While I personally intend log my intake of 'alligator pears' (and encourage others to do so as well), it's also an open mike for all things avocado: recipes, anecdotes, short stories, prose, etc.

Very nice lifting, by the way.

Paul McKirdy
07-11-2008, 05:39 AM
Nice! Avocado is definitely a MAJOR contributor to the strength effort :).

Yuen Sohn
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
July 11th, 2008
Type: Hass

Comments: Ate half a hass with asparagus and a sirloin steak. I'm being overrun by large household centipedes, about yay big [--------------------].
Send help.

Paul McKirdy
07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Today:
Mid-Morning pre-one-hour bicycle ride, post hour one egg Avocado Storage: 1/2 avocado eaten other half stored in stomach. :cool:

What did I ever do before discovering avocado?

sarena kopciel
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Post Oly Practice and nap
Pre Dinner
1/2 Hass straight up with a teaspoon.

Rating: Satisfaction never felt so good!
Google: avocado love (http://www.gardenplate.com/article/feature?articleId=455)

sarena kopciel
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Toss up--breakfast log or avocado log!! Yoon, why you making me think so much?

tuna teriyaki leftovers with heated baby spinach and 1/2 avocado. Avocado in the AM makes me feel real energized! Yummy FAT!
coffee w/ raw milk

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Date: July 16th

Comments: Ate half a hass with a giant T-bone steak and a cup full of blueberries. A satisfying meal, but was lacking a bit in the spice department. Also sorely lacking today was any sort of lifting activity. And clean socks and underwear too.

Paul McKirdy
07-17-2008, 05:56 AM
July 16th:

One hour pre-workout avocado ( slice into wedges peel off skin devour ) and two boiled egg bodyguards.

Rating: That sled had no idea what was coming. I'll have to start sneaking up around the corner before long though, I think its learning.

John Alston
07-18-2008, 01:33 PM
July 16th:

One hour pre-workout avocado ( slice into wedges peel off skin devour ) and two boiled egg bodyguards.

Rating: That sled had no idea what was coming. I'll have to start sneaking up around the corner before long though, I think its learning.
I've got to start using this pre-workout avocado technique.

sarena kopciel
07-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Post Oly practice, driving home:
piece tuna/salmon/broccoli souffle
cumin and coconut oil baked yam slices
1/2 an avocado (Hass)

Rating: My skirt has a freakin' avocado stain now!

Yuen Sohn
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Date: July 19th
Dinner: Breakfast

Comments: A whole hass, scooped out and eaten with a spoon.

Yuen Sohn
07-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Yesterday (Jul 20th)
Meal: Lunch
Type: Unknown

Comments: Had a side of guacamole with my breakfast burrito. I'm not yet at the level of mastery where I can determine the type of avocado used in the guacamole. I've been feeling pretty dead the past week. Quite sore and lethargic. Feeling a lot better today though.

Paul McKirdy
07-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Late entry due to PR elation :)

Friday July 18th:
1 whole avocado about 1 hour pre-workout. DL day + one whole boiled egg instead of two. Plus a newcomer to the party, coconut oil about 2 tbsp'ish, who ya! Wow! Forgot to mention this is in the PR log :), this was the same day +20 DL. Nothing like rocket fuel and solid booster propellant to get the electricity flowing.

Rating: Water is incompresible, muscle is made of water. Carbon nanotube cell walls are next. I'm sure pulling buses is fun, but throwing them is going to be even more fun!

Frank Needham
07-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Whole avacod, split in half, remove seed. Empty mixed nuts into seed cavity, mix and eat.

Rating: What's not to like with a fat on fat combo like this?

sarena kopciel
07-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Boiled egg
1/2 a Hass (seed removed)
few slices yam

Rating: Under the sun on a ferry in Puget Sound. What could be better!!

Paul McKirdy
07-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Today:

3/4 whole avocado. Coconut oil. Time to boil some eggs!

Rating: The only better than eating avocado is sharing avocado.

Troy Archie
07-21-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.avocado.org/recipes/search

You can thank me later

Allen Yeh
07-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Dinner last night
leftover guacomole from Saturdays BBQ+ bbq chicken + watermelon

Rating: I'm craving bacon dipped in guacomole now...

John Alston
07-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Great homemade salad with tasty chicken, but I only got a half a Hass in there.

So what's the deal with the Florida avcocado? Anyone? Mutuant step child?

sarena kopciel
07-23-2008, 07:19 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/fashion/20shake.html?ex=1374206400&en=6ef2ce709b0c8550&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

DInner:
pan roasted salmon
pan roasted yams in coconut oil w/ cumin and other asst spices
Highlight: Salad w/ endive, fennel, green olives, red onion, garden picked basil, AVOCADO, olive oil, lemon, sea salt

Rating: creamy perfection!

Chris Tracy
07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Dinner for 8 month old son Sam:
1/2 mashed Hass avo. 1/4th of said Avo made it into him mount, 1/4 in to the dogs mouth, half coated Sam's face, ears and eyes. Good thing Avo is good for the skin and hair... not so good directly in the eye. Nothing like a good Avo tossed around the kitchen to bond a boy with his dog!

Paul McKirdy
07-24-2008, 04:18 AM
Yesterday: 4PM avocado with 2 hard boiled eggs and coconut oil just over an hour pre-workout.

Rating: Back on the box, and it's down to 14 inches off the deck now with chains.

Yuen Sohn
07-24-2008, 08:06 AM
http://www.avocado.org/recipes/search

You can thank me later
Thanks!

Great homemade salad with tasty chicken, but I only got a half a Hass in there.

So what's the deal with the Florida avcocado? Anyone? Mutuant step child?

According to Produce Pete, the Florida avocado's a real prude and pales in comparison to the sultry and sensuous Guatemalen types:

California avocados are generally Guatemalan varieties, and in my opinion they are the best. They include the famous Hass, the Fuerte, and the Reed, which are relatively small compared to Florida avocados and have a thick, pebbly skin.

Florida avocados are generally Mexican varieties. Smooth-skinned and very clean looking, they can grow to be very large. They contain less oil and more water than the rough-skinned California varieties, and although they're generally much less expensive and have a good flavor, they're not as sweet and nutty-tasting. Florida varieties include Booth, Lula, and Taylor.

Mexican avocados that are imported are, in my opinion, better than the Mexican varieties grown in Florida. High in quality and the least expensive, Mexican avocados include the Bacon and Zutano, which are available twice a year--in early spring and again in early fall. Both are well suited to guacamole and salads.

While I'm here, I bring to your attention a concurrent avocado love thread:

http://www.yelp.com/topic/brooklyn-avocado-yay-or-nay

Note, I started this thread 5 days prior to their's. Coincidence? Or synergy?

I need to get a life.

Ari Kestler
07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I had 4.5 avocados today...that's a new PR.

sarena kopciel
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Hows the stomach doing now?? Still PRing?

John Alston
07-25-2008, 07:43 AM
breakfast, 7/25
one of those crazy Florida avocados where the pit can be heard bouncing around inside.
Truly, it must be lower fat. Different texture. Sweeter taste. Kind of good in its own way. Only a dollar usually, too.

I like it.

Ari Kestler
07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Hows the stomach doing now?? Still PRing?

Well I made guac with 6 avocados...Had some of it with a can of WAS for lunch and then later on had the rest with my steak for dinner...also shared it with my girlfriend...I asked her how much she thought she ate and she said 1 avocados worth max, she is normally pretty good about portions so I'm even exaggerating her claims and saying she ate 1.5 avocados... Stomach was fine at lunch, felt a little more "full" then normal most of the night but otherwise was fine... figure I had 1.5-2 avocados at lunch and the rest at dinner...it was probably a little excessive and not something I would strive for everyday just sort of happened...

Paul McKirdy
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM

All at once, spaced out? Workout day? Results?

Ari Kestler
07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
All at once, spaced out? Workout day? Results?

Probably 2 for lunch at 1230 and 2.5 for dinner at 730. Worked out around 5pm and did the gym workout which was

40 GHD 40 135# Dl 400m run
30 " 30 " 400m run
20 " 20 " 400m run
10 " 10" 400m run

...which obviously killed me. I really need to resist the peer pressuring at my affiliate and stick to short WoDs and heavy lifting...so hard though...

So yeah, had dinnner and I admit 2.5 is probably too much in one sitting, I was uncomfortably full for about an hour afterwards and stayed full the rest of the night... The last week my eating had been so screwed up because of my rotations that my meals are more like binges.... Didn't bother eating til 2pm today...but yeah..i love avocados...

Allen Yeh
07-26-2008, 08:27 AM
ground buffalo cooked with 1 bag of spinach + 1 Haas avocado + 1 white peach + 1 teriyaki buffalo stick

Yuen Sohn
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
I blame my inability to break 90/110 this past weekend on my neglect of avocado. Baby, I'm sorry!

John Alston
07-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Guacamole with salad today.

Effin salty. Better stick with straight avocado or homemade stuff.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Medium (145.0 g)
Calories 276
Calories from Fat 248
Total Fat 27.6g

Yuen Sohn
07-29-2008, 06:11 AM
The Date: 28-Jul-2008
The Meal: Dinner
The Avocado: Hass

Comments: Sliced up half a hass as a topping on my burger. I'm going to have to do better than this if I wanna snatch over 100kg.

Allen Yeh
07-29-2008, 07:38 AM
awesome burger recipe that I had last week.

2 leafs romain lettuce as the bun, 1 hamburger patty...I like the Bubba burgers or homemade, 1/2 Haas on top, 2 slices of bacon, 1 fried egg. Freaking awesome.

John Alston
07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
one with dinner last night. i got 5 dark rough ones at the grocery store for a buck each. upping the intake.

Yuen Sohn
08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
one with dinner last night. i got 5 dark rough ones at the grocery store for a buck each. upping the intake.

I am curious as to the whereabouts of your runaway avocado. Where could it have gone? Is it still in Amedeo's car? In the BlueStreak parking lot? In Gary Valentine's pocket?

Yuen Sohn
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Date: 03-Aug-2008
Meal: Late Evening Snack

Ate half a leftover hass as part of my post-meet recovery. I locked out 91 in the snatch for what felt like 1.5-2 seconds, but caught it off balance and lost it behind. My right hip has been really tight the past 2 weeks and I believe the uneveness in how I landed and settled in the squat was the cause.

I missed 113 c&j due to a lack of charisma in the 2nd pull. Based on John's photo, I had it in good position right above the knees. I believe the culprit is simply an overall lack of strength, seeing that my 1RM front squat is 120.

Allen Yeh
08-04-2008, 05:14 AM
8/3/2008

Chipotle double Chicken fajita salad w/ guacomole.

John Alston
08-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I am curious as to the whereabouts of your runaway avocado. Where could it have gone? Is it still in Amedeo's car? In the BlueStreak parking lot? In Gary Valentine's pocket?

It's in the black hole where my squat snatch went.

Paul McKirdy
08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
The avocado train had stopped, but started back today with a passion.

What's better than avocado for lunch? Two avocados for lunch. What's better than two avocados for lunch? Two avocados sliced into 6 wedges each then their skin peeled off and wrapped in rare roast beef. First time I ever did this, and OMG it was love at first taste! The only thing better than that is chasing it about half hour later with 6 raw eggs, yolks only lightly broken and mixed with about 1 cup of grapefruit juice. The damn underwent complete collapse today, and I feel so ready :).

Rating: So, Squat Bar, I heard you wanted to talk to me...

Yuen Sohn
08-07-2008, 05:47 AM
The avocado train had stopped, but started back today with a passion.

What's better than avocado for lunch? Two avocados for lunch. What's better than two avocados for lunch? Two avocados sliced into 6 wedges each then their skin peeled off and wrapped in rare roast beef. First time I ever did this, and OMG it was love at first taste! The only thing better than that is chasing it about half hour later with 6 raw eggs, yolks only lightly broken and mixed with about 1 cup of grapefruit juice. The damn underwent complete collapse today, and I feel so ready :).

Right on!!

It's been on-and-off between me and the avocado as of late. It's time I picked up the phone. Baby come back!

Paul McKirdy
08-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Light day today.

Pre-Dinner Warm-Up: 1 Avocado, sliced into 6 wedges skin peeled off and down the hatch! Almost did the second one, but had a really really nice big 1# grass fed ground beef and 8 natural egg dinner with a spinach topper simmering in duck fat that arrived today in the new 12" cast iron and self-basting lid that also arrived today. OMFG, satiated doesn't describe it. Rest day tomorrow is going to be sooo relaxing.

Duck fat(Courtesy of Jay Cohen):
http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/shop.html

And it is just as delicious cold off a spoon as coconut oil, actually even more so to my tastes.

Rating: wow...

Yuen Sohn
08-08-2008, 05:47 AM
07-Aug-2008
Dinner
Might have been a hass

Had a Mexican dinner last night. Our appetizers came with a small dollop of guacamole. Once we got a sampling of that cool, creamy goodness, we just had to order more. A perfect complement to my garlic shrimp and her carne asada.

So my coach wants me to look into 6-day a week training until the end of October:
At this point your technique is solid (not perfect, but good enough) and you only need to make some improvements to your overall bodily strength in order to be able to handle heavier poundages. You should consider a six day a week program with three "power" days and three "technique" days. We can discuss the details next time we meet. If you follow a program like this I think you could do 95-115-210 at the Mets.

I'm going to have to up the ante with my meals. Duck fat. MMMMMMM.

Paul McKirdy
08-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Breakfast today:

6 eggs very lightly mixed and very lightly cooked then diced up a bit, and then a whole avocado sliced and diced thrown in. Olive oil and seasonings, with a splash of tobasco. Heaven!

Frank Needham
08-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I recently discovered this highly transportable and high quality method of using avocado: http://www.calavo.com/refrigerated.php
Just cut the corner off the package and voila!, you've got a squeeze tube of an amazing nutrient that can readily be put on meats, veggies, eggs, whatever...available at Sam's Club, don't know where else.

Paul McKirdy
08-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Dinner last night:

More eggs and avocado with spices and olive oil. I think I might be addicted already...

Paul McKirdy
08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
post-supper: 6 eggs lightly very lightly scrambled and a whole diced avocado with olive oil and a splash of tobasco. this is getting very very addictive.

sarena kopciel
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Just saw this (http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2008/07/coconut-milk-an.html), would sub the sugar to 1/2 the amount of agave perhaps but not making it anytime soon!

Just like the avocado references!

Allen Yeh
08-18-2008, 05:56 AM
So what is everyone's opinion between buying Haas or buying those ones that say Florida on them?

They are about the same price but the Haas ones are at another store, the florida ones are where I buy the majority of my grocerins.

sarena kopciel
08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
So what is everyone's opinion between buying Haas or buying those ones that say Florida on them?

They are about the same price but the Haas ones are at another store, the florida ones are where I buy the majority of my grocerins.

Sorry to say, I just dont like those Florida ones. I'm a Hass or none girl:)

Yuen Sohn
08-18-2008, 06:37 PM
18Aug2008
Dinner
Hass

Ate half an unripened hass with my Colombian-style rotisserie chicken. All the avocados in the market's bin were rock hard, but I didn't think it would be that bad. I was wrong.

An off day overall. I sense it's time for a vacation.

Yuen Sohn
08-18-2008, 06:45 PM

I'd choose hass, personally. Better flavor and more oil content. At this stage in my life, I just don't think I can handle a serious relationship with the Florida types.

But if you can save a bit of $$ on gas by consolidating your grocery shopping to one place, I say pick Florida.

Allen Yeh
08-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks everyone.

Yuen Sohn
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
20Aug
Dinner

I ate the other half of the hass with the leftover rotisserie chicken from the other day. I was also really craving pudding for some reason, and was utterly delighted to find a forgotten, leftover Kozy Shack pudding in my fridge. I wish pudding would manifest itself more often in my life. Ditto for clean socks.

sarena kopciel
08-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Breakfast today:
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 c raspberries
1/3 Hass

Rating: Creamy good for you goodness!! Perfect a s alight snack before workin out!

Yuen Sohn
10-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Date: 23-Oct-2008
Meal: Lunch at Sakagura
Type: Tasted like a hass.

I had tiny bits of hass in my tuna sashimi and mixed greens (expensive weeds) salad.

sarena kopciel
10-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Homemade guac at lunch w/ friends and family!!

Rating: Sweet......

Yuen Sohn
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
01-Nov-2008.
Probably a hass.

Had a few chunks of avocado from my gf's avocado and lobster salad. Avocado (and anything else that grows on a tree) has been pretty much absent from my diet the past few weeks.

Yuen Sohn
11-07-2008, 08:35 AM
06-Nov-2008

1/2 a Hass (a very small one)

Sliced up half a hass for my steak and mixed weeds salad. The selection and quality of alligator pears at the local market was quite unremarkable.

Garrett Smith
11-07-2008, 08:50 AM
My avocado from the other night:
1 whole, cut in half, add sea salt, eat with spoon.

My wife's avocado (guac):
1 whole, quartered, peeled, combine and mash in bowl with sea salt, dried cilantro, pepper, and a splash of lime juice or ACV.

She eats it with a turkey burger mixed in or some organic blue corn chips. Oh how I need those dang chips to stop entering my house...:o

sarena kopciel
11-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Heat in pan: kale, endive, eggs, avocado mix for breakfast.

Rating: Hass avocados take the prize over Israeli ones.

Craig Loizides
11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks to this thread I've been eating about 4 avocados a week than last couple months. My favorite breakfast is now 3 eggs with a diced hass, a few ounces of pork and some spinach.

Yuen Sohn
11-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks to this thread I've been eating about 4 avocados a week than last couple months. My favorite breakfast is now 3 eggs with a diced hass, a few ounces of pork and some spinach.
Excellent! If this thread inspires all readers of this message board to eat just one more avocado than they normally would, my work here will be done.

I have no life.

steve solano
11-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I grew up eating avocado sandwiches.

My avocado tuna sandwiches=damn near perfect foods.

Yuen Sohn
11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
16-Nov-2008
An ill-fated attempt at guacamole. Too much lime juice.

Lessons learned: Invest in some tablespoons ya cheap bastard!

Yuen Sohn
11-17-2008, 08:05 PM
17-Nov-2008
More guacamole with a side of sirloin steak. I added some Serrano Chilis, which made the guac somewhat more passable.

My clean has been stagnant for a few months now. Suck.

Yuen Sohn
11-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I grew up eating avocado sandwiches.

My avocado tuna sandwiches=damn near perfect foods.

I will have to give this a try. Do you mash the avocado in with the tuna? Or just slice it up and put it on top? Do you add any extra seasoning?

Thanks in advance. Your contribution to the thread is much appreciated.

Gittit Shwartz
11-18-2008, 03:31 AM
9 oz sirloin steak, garden vegetable salad with a WHOLE AVOCADO! Bliss! The Warrior Diet rocks my world.

Yuen Sohn
11-20-2008, 07:14 AM
9 oz sirloin steak, garden vegetable salad with a WHOLE AVOCADO! Bliss! The Warrior Diet rocks my world.

Thanks for logging Gittit!

Yuen Sohn
11-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Yesterday:
Guacamole for lunch followed by Power Snatches 70% 1x4, Snatch High Pulls 105-110% 3x2, Front Squat 80% 3x6 and chased with a small serving of defective guac from this past weekend.

Paul McKirdy
12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
night before last:

4 whole avocados, skinned and mooshed.
8 scallions finely chopped
1/2 lime squeezed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tbsps olive oil... or more I admit :D
few squirts of tobasco, i swear just a "few"
Shared with the S.O., but she only ate about 25% and couldn't take it anymore, I fought the rest of the battle.

mix well, dip entire bag of pemmican like chips...

followed by a 12 oz strip steak "sandwich".

I am back on the protein wagon again.

I see stars....

Rating: I have seen the universe and it knows who I am.

Yuen Sohn
12-29-2008, 07:08 AM
The holiday season was a bountiful one, as there are no fewer than 10 plump alligator pears lounging around in my apartment. These are truly some marvelous specimens -- they aren't just talking to me, they're singing. The possibilities are endless, though being of limited prowess in the kitchen, I will probably just eat them with a spoon.

I received a lecture last night from my beloved Princess Aguacate, who told me I should never put unripened avocados in the fridge as that affects the quality of the fruit. Ay dios mio!

Snatching heavy tonight.

Yuen Sohn
01-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Date: 01-Jan-2008
Meal: Lunch (post workout)

One of the giant green berries requested to be eaten, so I happily obliged with a side of tuna fish and some coffee. 1 down. 9 to go.

Tested the waters at the new place with some power snatches for doubles, power clean and jerks for singles, and back squats for triples. I think this just might work out.

Yuen Sohn
01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
02-Jan-2008
Meal: Early Dinner (Pre-workout)

A delightfully smooth and buttery avocado with tuna fish and mayo. This wasn't no cheap floozy you'd pick up off the street, but rather the kind you'd be proud to bring home and meet your parents.

The meal was a perfect pick-me-up in preparation for a rare gathering of the Friday Night Losers Club.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIst2CUrzAo

Yuen Sohn
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
06-Jan-2008

Ate half an avocado with two cans of tuna fish plain (too cheap to buy mayonnaise), two handfuls of arugula (too lazy to make salad), and two apples with peanut butter for dessert (too tired to make pancakes at this hour). A rather joyless meal.

Kisholi Mendis
01-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Yesterday's breakfast:

Slopped an entire avocado's worth of guacamole on some mackerel. Felt sorry for a small packet of old, sad looking roasted/salted cashews so I sprinkled them on top.

Didn't feel so gracious afterward.

Yuen Sohn
01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
No avocado within the past few days, but I did find this device indirectly via CrossFit South Brooklyn's site:
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=66

Throw in that 48oz jug of Urine Gone, and I'll pretty much be set as far as January purchases go.

Kisholi Mendis
01-10-2009, 01:53 AM
No avocado within the past few days, but I did find this device indirectly via CrossFit South Brooklyn's site:
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=66

That does look useful! I always make such a mess when fiddling with the damn avocados.

Yuen Sohn
01-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes, that looks like a fine piece of equipment! The only additional feature it's missing is some sort of retractable blade hidden in the handle to assist in removing the pit as well as fending off attackers.

Yuen Sohn
01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
14-Jan-2009

Ate a whole, diced up hass with some bacon and 3 eggs immediately following some power snatches for singles, power cleans for doubles and back squats for triples.

Yuen Sohn
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
01-Feb-2009

The tiny bits of avocado in my California roll.

Speaking of avocados, I'd like to state that the Canon Pixma MP520 has been a huge disappointment. From malfunctioning ink cartridges to inexplicable paper feed errors, this piece of crap has been nothing but trouble.

Yuen Sohn
02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
In retrospect, this breakfast journal entry from Dec 22nd of last year should have been in this log:
Rolled up some avocado slices in smoked salmon

John Kilbane
02-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I recently went on a weeklong daily avacado streak. Besides just on salads, I had avocado with boiled eggs for a few meals. My favorite creation was canned salmon and avocado with Tamari.
By the way, is avocado oil any good?

Yuen Sohn
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Date: 02-Feb-2009

Ate a whole Hass with a NY strip steak, a big bowl of cherries, and some microwaveable carrot & coriander soup I found in the back of my freezer.

It was a close call at the "other" gym tonight. I usually have the platform all to myself, but could feel people hovering around me, waiting to use the platform for rope-skipping and hardcore curling. Sorry to be a party pooper.

By the way, is avocado oil any good?
Hmmm, I haven't gotten around to trying any yet, but Sarena vouched for it on page one.

sarena kopciel
02-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Yeah I really do enjoy it (oil of the avocado), especially on salads!
Just ate a whole bunch of avocados this week in Israel! And I lifted with the Israeli national Oly team too!!

Yuen Sohn
02-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I drink it up!

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/02/where-to-find-avocado-shakes-nyc-manhattan-vietnamese.html
*Courtesy of Xuan Mai

Yuen Sohn
02-07-2009, 04:49 PM
06-Feb-2009
Meal: Dinner with Princess Aguacate

Avocado wrapped in smoked salmon along with sliced turkey cuts, yogurt dip, flatbread, blueberries and perhaps more liquor than would be advisable the night before/morning of a weightlifting meet.

Yuen Sohn
02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
08-Feb-2009

Smoked salmon, avocado, pancakes, coffee, blueberries.

I really should have made that 92 snatch. I think I was a bit too enthusiastic with the 2nd pull.

And a big congrats to Xuan Mai!

Yuen Sohn
02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
09-Feb-2009

Tuna tartare with avocado, chicken satays, a burger, and an apple.

For the past month or two, I've abandoned any semblance to a structured squat program. Keeping track of all these percentages, reps, and sets got tiresome, so I just decided to have fun with it (much like it was when I first started lifting) and simply squat heavy and often. I was finally rewarded tonight with a 7.5kg PR, seemingly from out of the blue. I credit the gain to my recent increase in avocado and booze consumption.

Gant Grimes
02-17-2009, 03:00 PM
09-Feb-2009

Tuna tartare with avocado, chicken satays, a burger, and an apple.

For the past month or two, I've abandoned any semblance to a structured squat program. Keeping track of all these percentages, reps, and sets got tiresome, so I just decided to have fun with it (much like it was when I first started lifting) and simply squat heavy and often. I was finally rewarded tonight with a 7.5kg PR, seemingly from out of the blue. I credit the gain to my recent increase in avocado and booze consumption.

Good stuff, Yuen. Heavy lifting, enjoyable programming, and steady intake of fat always leads to good things.

Judging by your avatar, you might like this shirt.

http://www.birkoph.com/Wolf_tshirt.htm

Xuan Mai Ho
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Ok, Yuen, I need your professional advice.

How do I get avocados nice and ripe? I've tried putting them into paper bags. Storing them in the oven. Storing them in paper bags in the oven.

All.Hard.Like.Rocks

I'm on day 8 of my cabbage obsession. If I can figure out how to get avocados decently soft, then maybe I can kick this cabbage habit.

P.S. Maybe it's because I buy my avocados from street vendors?

Yuen Sohn
02-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Good stuff, Yuen. Heavy lifting, enjoyable programming, and steady intake of fat always leads to good things.

Judging by your avatar, you might like this shirt.

http://www.birkoph.com/Wolf_tshirt.htm

Thanks! I was falling victim to paralysis by analysis for a while, so it was nice to break free from that rut.

If they made a wolf singlet, I would undoubtedly be snatching 150kg by now.

Ok, Yuen, I need your professional advice.

How do I get avocados nice and ripe? I've tried putting them into paper bags. Storing them in the oven. Storing them in paper bags in the oven.

All.Hard.Like.Rocks

I'm on day 8 of my cabbage obsession. If I can figure out how to get avocados decently soft, then maybe I can kick this cabbage habit.

P.S. Maybe it's because I buy my avocados from street vendors?

Ah, great question! I hear that placing a ripe banana or apple in the bag with the avocados willl hasten the ripening process. I will confirm this with Princess Aguacate and let you know.

Personally, I'm too impatient, so if I can't find a ripe one at the market, I just move on. I'm very picky when it comes to screening potential candidates.

Yuen Sohn
02-18-2009, 06:42 PM
18-Feb-2009

A less-than-spectacular dollop of guacamole accompanying my beef burrito.

I have a fairly simple philosophy when it comes to training. Never miss a workout and focus your effort on your weaknesses. That said...

Since you are having trouble with the clean, I would put the majority of effort into the squat clean itself. What I noticed last night was a non-level pull and a non-level/rotated squat under. That is OK with maximal weights, but you were sub-maximal at 100 KG. May I suggest some deliberate progressions of 3 sets of 1 with with, for example, 90 - 92.5 - 95 - 97.5 -100, etc. stopping your progression not when you fail but when your form starts to fail. You may do more singles with your last good effort weight if you wish.

As far as assistance exercises, I was going to suggest bent over rowing pulling the bar not to your chest but to your lower abdomen. This will give you the constant feel of being "over the bar" which will definitely help your pull in both the clean and the snatch. Start light and keep the reps in the 6 -10 range. Be careful not to strain your lower back. Stop at the first sign of any pain or tightness. Use both a wide (not quite snatch) and narrow (clean) grip.

Deadlifts, in moderation, are always good. Do them heavy for a few sets (no more than 3 heavy sets) once a week. The other exercises you mention are good to, but I would only do one assistance exercise. If you do a lot of cleans, then more than one assistance exercise is too much. Remember this -- if you can't deadlift it, you can't clean it!

Since you are not getting pinned with the weights you are cleaning yet you may want to reduce your squatting as you may be increasing your squat cleaning significantly. You can't go crazy on the squats and the squat cleans at the same time, so go a little lighter on your squatting for a while. I think you will find yourself moving under the bar in a smoother, more efficient and more comfortable manner as the excess tonus dissipates from your legs, but it will take a few weeks for you to notice the transition. You must be patient.

I must say, session one of the clean progression was stimulating, without sucking.

Yuen Sohn
02-20-2009, 07:51 PM
19-Feb-2009
Dinner for two

2 ripe avocados (THESE had personality!), bacon, yogurt dip, turkey, hummus, wheat bread, and cookies n cream ice cream.

Xuan Mai Ho
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
3-2-09
Hamburger Patty + Special Puerto Rican Avocado Salad (homemade by PR hubby)

3-3-09
Steak + Special Puerto Rican Avocado Salad (homemade by PR hubby)

Sickness + weeklong training class = No LBH last week and this week

My Penance:

I went to Equinox at Columbus Circle at the prime time hour of 7:30pm where I found a trainer "training" his client on the platform with planks and stretches. So, I started lifting in the middle of the floor close to the platform, hoping the trainer would get hint.

Then (a different and brand spanking new) trainer decided to tell me all about his 'expertise' in O-lifts (he's a USAW-certified coach).

XM: "Oh, do you lift as well?"
BPSNT: "No, I'm a triathlete. But the lifts are fun! Let me watch you lift and I'll give you pointers!"

This was my punishment for not making it out to LBH.

Yuen Sohn
03-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Date: March 3rd, 2009

Guacamole with chips, along with a chimichanga platter.

My Penance:

I went to Equinox at Columbus Circle at the prime time hour of 7:30pm where I found a trainer "training" his client on the platform with planks and stretches. So, I started lifting in the middle of the floor close to the platform, hoping the trainer would get hint.

Then (a different and brand spanking new) trainer decided to tell me all about his 'expertise' in O-lifts (he's a USAW-certified coach).

XM: "Oh, do you lift as well?"
BPSNT: "No, I'm a triathlete. But the lifts are fun! Let me watch you lift and I'll give you pointers!"

This was my punishment for not making it out to LBH.

Oooh, I can't wait to get pointers from him too!

John Alston
03-11-2009, 04:49 AM
last night - an avocado with grape tomatoes, sprinkled with seasoning, second half of dinner.

Yuen Sohn
03-16-2009, 09:32 AM
16-Mar-2009
Lunch

A dollop of less-than-stellar guacamole accompanying my chicken quesadilla.

Fortunately, I’ve got 10 huge alligator pears camping out at home, patiently awaiting to audition for a spot in my belly.

From the Chronicles of Mikey Shortz:
“Hey, I mean, you don’t need to drop the weights from that high.”
“I mean, you don’t need to drop them from so high, I mean, come on.”
“Come on now, it’s dangerous.”
“The plates can’t take that.”

"What you gotta do that stuff for?"
“Stop dropping the weights. You’re gonna break them. That’s why our stuff breaks, because you’re dropping all the time."
“If you can lift it up, you should be able to put it down without dropping it”

sarena kopciel
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Avocado, mixed stirfried greens and some daikon to keep my bison rib steak company!

Rating: I wanna drop heavy weights too! Darn you my shoulder.:mad:

Yuen Sohn
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
24-Mar-2009

As I was leaving for work this morning, I could hear one of the now-ripened alligator pears singing to me. Of course, I had to oblige and bring my green friend with me to the office. I sliced it up and topped half on a leftover Costco burger patty with some cheddar cheese and ate the other half for dessert. This was eaten in addition to some Spanish rice, 2 pieces of carne asada, and a mound of cooked chard from the company cafeteria.

Xuan Mai Ho
03-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Sinh To Bo aka Vietnamese Avocado Shake (http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2007/03/sinh-to-bo-vietnamese-avocado-shake.html)

Com Suon Bi Cha aka Vietnamese Triple Pork Plate with Rice (Pork Chop, Vietnamese Shredded Pork and a Porky, Crabby egg patty)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2976858704_8ccbdda8da.jpg?v=0

** This could have also been filed under the Pork Log but double posting is in bad taste.

Frank Needham
04-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Lately I've been chowing on variations of:

1) Hass Avocado
2) Real Mayo
3) Olive Oil
4) Apple Cider Vinegar

After you blend the above (to your individual taste) with a bit of water and drench your favorite greens, toss in your favorite meat(s). Include various tidbits of carrot, onion, or whatever you like. Finish it off by dusting with sea salt & ground pepper. Tastes quite fine and best of all it is hormone neutral.

Almost forgot, for additional texture try adding nuts or raisins.

Yuen Sohn
04-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for reviving the thread, Frank! I had almost forgotten.

Yuen Sohn
04-28-2009, 07:58 AM
27-Apr-2009

Had an avocado salad (also contained mango, cucumber, red peppers, red onions, lime juice, and some finely minced green stuff). Ate this with some rice and beans and a giant bowl of (disappointingly bland) beef chili.

So I snatched a 1kg PR on Sunday but came up extremely short in the clean and jerks. Once again I was struck with insomnia the night before, probably aggravated by the food poisoning and accompanying vomitting spells. I was hoping to get at least 1 hour -- just ONE HOUR of barely passable shut-eye -- on the trainride to the meet, but there was too much background noise...even with earplugs and headphones on.

Yuen Sohn
05-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Date: 08-May-2009
Meal: Breakfast

Some avocado ice cream.

I am very sad to have missed the Sablo.

Yuen Sohn
05-11-2009, 06:26 AM
10-May-2009
Meal: Late night snack

4 strips of bacon and several large clumps of avocado ice cream.

Yuen Sohn
05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
22-May-2009
Meal: Dessert

Diving into the 2nd container of avocado ice cream.

What I'd really like to know is: when will CrossFit Foosball make its debut?

Xuan Mai Ho
05-23-2009, 05:47 AM
You keep making references to avocado ice cream.

Where are you getting it?

22-May-2009
Meal: Dessert

Diving into the 2nd container of avocado ice cream.

What I'd really like to know is: when will CrossFit Foosball make its debut?

John Alston
05-23-2009, 06:23 AM

I also want to know.

Yuen Sohn
05-23-2009, 06:45 AM

I also want to know.

Oh, it was a home-made gift from a friend in exchange for an art project I did for her organization. Since she wasn't allowed to pay me in cash, I was compensated with fine, frozen dessert.

Some freelance artists get paid in $$, I get paid in avocado products.

Yuen Sohn
05-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I forgot to mention:

This past week was Avocado Week at the company cafeteria. I did not see anything too outrageous though -- just the standard guacamole and avocado salads -- and my hopes for a carnival-like celebration (e.g., avocado mud wrestling) never materialized. Fail.

I have joined the Avocado fan club on Facebook.

Yuen Sohn
05-29-2009, 09:20 PM
29-May-2009

A dollop of guacamole in my Chipotle burrito. I've been absolutely ravenous this past week. Last night's dinner consisted of 2 double burgers and fries from Five Guys, a half liter of whole milk, and several large blobs of peanut butter. Tonight's dinner was more modest, but I plan to scour the neighborhood for pie first thing tomorrow morning. A frustrating training day Wed (badly missed a 110 front squat), but a satisfying end to the week at the Friday Night Pastry Chef's Roundtable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i9UTh8d50w

Yuen Sohn
06-16-2009, 06:55 AM
30-May-2009 to 14-Jun-2009

I've been dabbling with a high frequency/high intensity regimen of guacamole eating as of late, some days with a morning and afternoon session. Stimulating.

Yuen Sohn
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
17-Jun-2009

A bit late posting this one. Had some freshly made guacamole last Wed at lunch. Absolutely delightful (they made it chunky). Chunky is good.

The avocado express continues to run, full steam ahead. 6kg power clean PR tonight.

Yuen Sohn
06-27-2009, 08:16 PM
27-Jun-2009
Meal: Linner

I was in bed most of the day, but emerged from my slumber to get a burrito with guacamole from the Chipotle down the street. The cashier there used to always hook me up with free guacamole and chips (I would never even have to ask), but recent staff turnover has put an end to that.

Incorporating power jerks more routinely into training has really paid off.

Xuan Mai Ho
07-10-2009, 09:12 AM
7/9/09 - Late Night Dinner

1 Homemade Hamburger Patty (think meatloaf meatloaf burger)
1 ENTIRE Avocado Sliced

I dunno what possessed me to eat an entire avocado by myself. I was so hungry that I would have gnawed my own arm off.

Yuen Sohn
07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
13-Jul-2009

The guacamole in my chicken burrito. Not the greatest quality guac, but hey, any food delivered to practice=awesome^3

After a few years of trying to figure out this whole lifting thing, I finally realize what my friends are talking about when they say I explode late in the snatch: I hang out too long on my heels in the transition, and need to commence the 2nd pull a bit sooner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqIgPuJ4yA8

Yuen Sohn
07-15-2009, 07:39 PM
14-Jul through 15-Jul

I can't think of a better way to commemorate my 1,000th post than to describe the avocado consumption of the past two days.

Last night: A gigantic bowl of homemade guacamole courtesy of Princess Aguacate. Totally unexpected. Completely awesome, especially since I ate about 2.5 avocados worth of the stuff along with half a bag of chips. Followed by a main course of shrimp, sausage, couscous, zucchini, etc. with sliced mango for dessert.

Lunch: A giant blob of guacamole at the company cafeteria. You can really tell when guacamole is made with love, vs simply going through the motions. This batch was lacking passion.

I dunno what possessed me to eat an entire avocado by myself. I was so hungry that I would have gnawed my own arm off.
I don't know what possessed you either, but I salute you nevertheless!

John Alston
07-16-2009, 04:43 AM
I has wicked solid homemade guacamole last week as part of some excellent homemade fish tacos. Credit is not mine.

Yuen Sohn
09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I dust the cobwebs off this thread to inform you all that September 16th is National Guacamole Day. Woop woop.

John Alston
09-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Avocado - watermelon salad has been the hit of the year. Mint, lime, touch of rice vinegar is all that's needed.

Yuen Sohn
09-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Half a hass for breakfast yesterday with a NY strip steak, overpriced organic weeds, tomatoes and oil+vinegar.

The other half this morning for breakfast, with more overpriced weeds, ice cream, and a bag of long-forgotten, leftover galbi.

Yuen Sohn
09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
10-Sep-2009

Had a big glob of guacamole to accompany my steak fajitas (it was DIY fajita day at the company cafeteria). The avocados in this batch of guac were puréed beyond recognition, resulting in a disturbingly silky smooth texture. Decent taste, but overall it was a soul-less experience.

Yuen Sohn
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
My on-again, off-again relationship with avocado continues. Hopefully this time, we can make it work.

26-Oct-2009
A scoop of guacamole in my burrito.

Speaking of burritos, some fine lifting at LBH this weekend
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=457EB4DE01644F91

...as I sat at home, coughing up phlegm and texting camera operating instructions to my buddies :(

Arien Malec
10-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Yuen, I'll have you know that now, every time I look over Kono's book, and get to Pisarenko's famous pull, I now laugh out loud. It's very sad...

Yuen Sohn
11-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Yuen, I'll have you know that now, every time I look over Kono's book, and get to Pisarenko's famous pull, I know laugh out loud. It's very sad...

Awesome! I have one less item on my bucket list now. Woop!

Date: 03-Nov-2009
Eel avocado and salmon avocado rolls.

Xuan Mai, I left the bar nice and chalky for you.

Xuan Mai Ho
11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Ha. I often wonder if you are saying "Hello!" with the chalk marks!

Yuen Sohn
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
12-Nov-2009

An over-ripened avocado for dessert.

What's with these fancy-schmancy gyms that don't have doors leading to the locker room? To the woman* who mistakenly walked into the men's locker room, I apologize for my overall paleness.

*Though I had my back turned away from the entrance, it sure sounded like a woman gasping. And yes, I had no pants on.

Yuen Sohn
11-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Ha. I often wonder if you are saying "Hello!" with the chalk marks!

Yes! I left it extra chalky this time around :D

What's with the odd tape markings on the platform, btw?? And have you noticed the platform being used more and more often for medball twists and stretch-band side chops?

Xuan Mai Ho
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I haven't noticed anyone on the platform recently except me. And occasionally somebody jump ropes.

I was at a different location and I almost walked into the Men's locker room. A few times....

Yes! I left it extra chalky this time around :D

What's with the odd tape markings on the platform, btw?? And have you noticed the platform being used more and more often for medball twists and stretch-band side chops?

Yuen Sohn
11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Date: 23-Nov-2009
Meal: Breakfast

A salmon avocado roll.

Some Senior Nationals clips from 2002 (found on an old DVD):
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E1B2A5C452167864

Yuen Sohn
11-30-2009, 06:38 PM
30-Nov-2009
Some California Rolls
Also, some guacamole in my burrito

In heated discussions with an avocado SME, the following recommendation was given:

Most people would put an unripe avocado with a banana to quicken the maturation process. In fact, apples and passion fruit have a higher ethylene gas release compared to bananas. Check out the link below:

http://www.ethylenegas.com/ethylene.htm

Yuen Sohn
11-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I haven't noticed anyone on the platform recently except me. And occasionally somebody jump ropes.

Speaking of which, I docked them a full star on Yelp for not having a 15kg women's bar. I imagine that management is scrambling to order one as we speak :)

Xuan Mai Ho
11-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Sigh.....

I already asked two managers for a women's bar. In the meanwhile, I chalked up the men's bar for you today....

Speaking of which, I docked them a full star on Yelp for not having a 15kg women's bar. I imagine that management is scrambling to order one as we speak :)

Yuen Sohn
12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
The past 3 days...

Breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.

I've been busy with life and completely forgot about a full bag of ripening avocados hidden under all the crap piled on my sofa (my sofa is in the kitchen, fyi...I will explain in a subsequent journal entry). By the time I found them on Saturday, they were in critical, but stable condition. The past several days has been an avocado eating frenzy; a mad dash to enjoy the precious few moments we have together in this lifetime.

Speaking of precious moments, the Seirus Quick Draw Hat (winter hat + balaclava) was a serious hit. The only complaint is that if the wearer tucks in her/his ponytail, it produces a Conehead-esque effect. Otherwise, an ideal gift for the cold weather runner in your life.

Yuen Sohn
12-20-2009, 02:47 PM
19-Dec-2009

2 salmon avocado rolls

Speaking of avocado rolls, here are newly-uploaded highlights from the 1988 90kg class c&js.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_t2ic_rWEY

Stay tuned for some rare Krastev footage in the coming months...

Yuen Sohn
12-30-2009, 09:06 PM
30-Dec-2009

I had two avocados worth of guacamole with special ingredients. I can't get off the Couch now. Plus homemade chips.

In the Regional Avocado SME meeting today, the topic of chilling injury was brought up. According to avocadosource dot com:

"Chilling injury in avocado fruits is characterized by abnormal ripening, darkening of the flesh, development of undesirable flavors and odors, and pitting and darkening of the skin."

Out of 4 candidates, the NJ SME successfully identified, through mere intuition, the undamaged and damaged fruit (see below for results). This proved a significant feat, considering cold-damaged fruit are externally identical to undamaged ones.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4230510368_94d90b497f_o.jpg

The moral of the story: If perfectly good-looking avocados are on sale for a dollar each, there's a good chance that they'd been inadvertently frozen in-transit.