PDA

View Full Version : New to IF and looking for a sample..

Phil Rogers
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Hello, my name is Phil and I am brand new to IF. Actually, I didn't even know about it until last week. However, it was very interesting to read about, and I can't help but experiment with it.

I workout between 4-5 days per week, and I've fasted until 3:30-4pm for the past two days. I felt great all day and even had a good workout.. So, my problem is figuring out exactly what I should be eating.

Yesterday at 4pm I had a 1 cup of whole wheat noodles, 5oz of grilled chicken and 3 fish oil caps.. Then postworkout I had a shake with 8oz 2% milk, 2 scoops of protein, some fish oil caps, TBSP of natty PB, and 1/2 cup of fat free yogurt.

Then for dinner I had 5oz of chicken and veggies.. I was in the neighborhood of 1,500 cals and 180g of protein, but I know I can clean the diet up some more. This was merely testing to see how I felt.

I am trying to lose BF and maintain muscle mass, and I am 5'8" 230lbs.. I would like to get to 190lbs.. Any suggestions? Places I can look for sample diets?

Chris Bardwell
07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I will normally fast from 7PM until around 12 the next day.

Usually I start of with a piece of fruit (Apple or a few Apricots),

Lunch: I will have a salad with a good amount of meat and health fat (avocado mainly), occasionally I will have a whole-wheat wrap with salad and chicken, or eggs and fruit.

Mid-Afternoon: Piece of fruit, Yerba Mate Tea sweetened with honey or sometimes nothing.

Dinner: Usually similar to Lunch but with slightly bigger portions. I like to have berries in the evening as dessert.

This diet allowed me to lose weight easily and keeps me in good shape. If I work out in the morning at say 8AM I will break the fast as soon as I have strong hunger pangs after the workout normally about 10-10:30 if I have finished working out at around 9.

This would be a normal days food, if I were at home but when out and about I improvise and may eat less healthy stuff especially when out with friends in the evening.

Saying this I have found the body is very self regulating, eat to satisfaction when your hungry and learn to recognize real hunger.

Phil Rogers
07-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the reply and the helpful info.. I am finding it very difficult to get in enough quality food after working out.. Yesterday I had 3/4 Cup of brown rice, veggies and 5oz grilled chicken to break the fast (no fast acting carbs because I forgot my apple). Then I went home and had 5oz of chicken, veggies, olive oil, fish oil, and an apple with 3tbsp of natural PB after a 20 minute cardio workout.

For my last meal I had 1 can of tuna, 1 egg, 3 strips of lean turkey bacon and some veggies. This is only topping out around 160g of protein today and I was stuffed..

I am enjoying the added energy at work and I must admit, I always felt better before eating breakfast in the mornings. However, as with most weight lifters, I was stuck in the 6 small meals per day mentality, which actually caused me to binge eat from being extremely hungry all the time.

I guess I will just have to keep toying with this until I get my macros in order.

Thanks again!

Phil Rogers
07-11-2008, 03:27 AM
After thoroughly reading Mike OD's IFLIFE blog, I think I've got a better grasp on this. I'll still gladly take suggestions, but I think I've got it :)

Have a great day, all.

Mike ODonnell
07-11-2008, 07:08 AM
After thoroughly reading Mike OD's IFLIFE blog, I think I've got a better grasp on this. I'll still gladly take suggestions, but I think I've got it :)

Have a great day, all.

Hope you saw this post by Martin (http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/2008/06/27/intermittent-fasting-guest-post-sure-fire-fat-loss/), has good specific info that you may have been looking for.