PDA

View Full Version : Plagiarism and the fitness industry.

Allen Yeh
07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/07/08/is-plagiarism-the-new-internet-business-model/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/07/09/plagiarism-part-2/

Interesting about Jimmy Smith, Jason Ferrugia and Alwyn Cosgrove.

Yikes.

Steven Low
07-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, that's pretty messed up.

I admit sometimes when I just randomly type stuff from recall it does resemble other people's words, but officially when you're supposed to note your sources.... heh. And that looks like a true rip off without credit given.

Derek Weaver
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone was going to post on this... I was halfway tempted to post this over at t-mag to see what kind of response it got. Probably not a good one as he's ripped several of the authors over there a few times.

Pretty screwed up. I've warmed to Lyle's approach and message recently. He's got good stuff, even if he can be an a-hole at times. Doesn't deserve to have his stuff blatantly ripped off.

Allen Yeh
07-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Exactly.

Mike ODonnell
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Fitness industry on the web is full of people backstabbing and stealling....it's really sad what people do all in the name of making a buck...instead of trying to help people. I agree....I am siding more with Lyle even if he does come across badly once in a while. But alas....I don't buy anything from any online trainers anyways....as there are smarter people in this forum. Nothing wrong with trying to make a living as we all have to....but being a scammer and liar in the process is no way to do it. Some of that stuff is old news....the Cosgrove thing must be a new one. It's too bad, as he did have a decent rep....but perhaps he is buying into his own internet stardom. Dunno. Either way....doesn't really affect my day.

Allen Yeh
07-18-2008, 07:28 AM
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=777

Tom Rawls
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
apparently McDonald and Cosgrove has corresponded about this:

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2319751

Mike ODonnell
07-18-2008, 09:11 PM
apparently McDonald and Cosgrove has corresponded about this:

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2319751

Interesting....but still comes down to the theory that there is nothing new in the fitness industry...as Lyle got most of his stuff from Dan Duchane and others before him....no one is figuring out anything new that hasn't already been figured out by someone else. Anyways....dumb dumb move quoting (or coming close) anything without giving credit....he should of known better....

Kevin Perry
07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Interesting....but still comes down to the theory that there is nothing new in the fitness industry...as Lyle got most of his stuff from Dan Duchane and others before him....no one is figuring out anything new that hasn't already been figured out by someone else. Anyways....dumb dumb move quoting (or coming close) anything without giving credit....he should of known better....

So when is the revolution coming to the fitness industry MOD?

I still remember you saying something along those lines. Maybe start packaging up a special kool-aid for the non-believers to drink.

Steven Low
07-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Even if you source someone it's still plagiarism if they don't state it in their own words. And that's some pretty obvious plagiarism... as the guy in Lyle's forum said, the co-author PhD guy, should've known better as well as Cosgrove. He could (and should) be sued for that most likely.

Well, that and he used it for what 2-3 of his books and Lyle only gave permission for like one, heh.

Anyway, I found the bolded word one to be the funniest. Sooooo obvious.

Allen Yeh
07-19-2008, 05:31 AM
I didn't read the entire thread on JPFitness but it seemed like Alwyn was given permission for a book years ago, and carried the same material on to the newest book as well, only this time without citation.

Sad stuff to me.

Also I read a few pages on the threads about Jimmy Smith and Jason Ferrugia, it seems Jimmy was really busy defending himself, while Jason said nothing (there) and would delete stuff as people would go looking for it (obvious copycatting of the Gym Jones website). Funnily enough, guess who was started things out over there, Shaf himself.

Mike ODonnell
07-19-2008, 05:45 AM
So when is the revolution coming to the fitness industry MOD?

I still remember you saying something along those lines. Maybe start packaging up a special kool-aid for the non-believers to drink.

not sure it's a huge revolution...but maybe a better choice...anyways, it's in the works....plus most of the internet fitness celebrities are really only known on the internet....the real world outside the net is a big place....

Derek Weaver
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know what else is happening with this? I searched around a bit, but probably am not looking in the right places.

There was a thread on Lyle's forum, but last I saw a couple of days ago he'd left it alone...