PDA

View Full Version : Bulking

Barry Anderberg
07-11-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm IF'ing and I eat from noon to seven pm. I have been in a bulking phase and eating 3600 kcal but now I'm ready to cut some fat so I've backed down to 3000 kcal. I find it difficult to eat this much in the given time window. I do it but I always feel so full I feel like I could puke. Eating six times a day like I used to made eating lots of food easy.

Do most people only IF to lose fat? It seems hard to imagine bulking up on IF.

Craig Van De Walker
07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
My thoughts on the matter.

IFing is supposed to help control insulin and blood sugar.

If bulking it would seem you would want higher than baseline insulin levels as insulin is an anabolic hormone which not only helps shuttle sugar into cells but if I remember correctly amino acids and other things that make you grow.

Could you bulk on IF or an abbreviated feeding window, yes but it seems to me that you would bulk faster and with less discomfort with frequent feedings and a n extended window.

Mike ODonnell
07-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Bulk...fat loss...it's still total calories. I can put down 3000 cal in 6 hours...mostly protein and fat. Adding too many carbs into the mix will make me want to puke. IF doesn't have to be every day....just what you can use to fit into your goals and schedule. That and a cleaner digestion will mean better utilitzation of the food you do eat....so you can gain muscle on less total calories...because you are getting more bang for your buck.

Barry Anderberg
07-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Bulk...fat loss...it's still total calories. I can put down 3000 cal in 6 hours...mostly protein and fat. Adding too many carbs into the mix will make me want to puke. IF doesn't have to be every day....just what you can use to fit into your goals and schedule. That and a cleaner digestion will mean better utilitzation of the food you do eat....so you can gain muscle on less total calories...because you are getting more bang for your buck.

I suspected as much- that you could bulk on fewer calories. Metabolism slows some from IF right? That too should help bulking on fewer kcals.

joe waguespack
07-11-2008, 07:35 AM
The whole "metabolism slows" thing kind of worries me. I always thought that was a bad thing. What happens if you IF for a while to shed excess fat and then return to "normal" eating schedules for whatever reason. Will you add fat easier since you return to a regular eating schedule with a slowed metabolism? Or once you up the calories does the metabolism adjust quickly. Also , does the slowed metabolism only occur due to caloric restriction or is it a result of the IF?

Steven Low
07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
The whole "metabolism slows" thing kind of worries me. I always thought that was a bad thing. What happens if you IF for a while to shed excess fat and then return to "normal" eating schedules for whatever reason. Will you add fat easier since you return to a regular eating schedule with a slowed metabolism? Or once you up the calories does the metabolism adjust quickly. Also , does the slowed metabolism only occur due to caloric restriction or is it a result of the IF?

Metabolism slows isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just makes it easier to gain weight or lose weight if you wanted. For example, back on a regular eating schedule you just have to eat a bit less than usual to maintain which is actually a good thing (use less money to buy food). Plus, it makes it easier to gain mass again if you need to as you don't have to cram as much food down as you can. Basically, makes life a lot easier in general. :p

It's more or less a caloric restriction thing.. and IF gets it from the long(er) windows without food where your body adjusts to become more efficient with it's nutrients and a bit slower metabolism (that's two different things btw).

Mike ODonnell
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Metabolism slows some from IF right?

That's a myth....mine is still plenty fast. Extended starvation slows down a metabolism...and that takes weeks.....IF with lots of calories may even speed up a metabolism (probably not enough to write home about though). Remember that since you are getting more bang for your buck with food, you better use what you have. Hence people can lose fat and gain some muscle at the same time. Why people can maintain muscle on less may be more towards the increased utilization....as many still continue to lean out as well. Everyone is different as the macronutrient ratios, type of training will also matter.

Barry Anderberg
07-11-2008, 07:27 PM
That's a myth....mine is still plenty fast. Extended starvation slows down a metabolism...and that takes weeks.....IF with lots of calories may even speed up a metabolism (probably not enough to write home about though). Remember that since you are getting more bang for your buck with food, you better use what you have. Hence people can lose fat and gain some muscle at the same time. Why people can maintain muscle on less may be more towards the increased utilization....as many still continue to lean out as well. Everyone is different as the macronutrient ratios, type of training will also matter.

So do you IF 7 days a week??

Mike ODonnell
07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
So do you IF 7 days a week??

We all fast during sleep...so in a sense....well....yes.

Actually it's very rare I eat before 10am....but I also do not get up before 7-8am....often days I may even go without food till 12-1pm (but still have an Americano/Expresso)....but I usually will extend my eating window later as varied....sometimes 6pm....sometimes 8pm....sometimes on the weekend it's much much later. That and IF is supposed to be "intermittent".......so use it as neccessary as people can experience excess anxiety or nervousness depending on their lifestyle factors and other issues. Must learn to just listen to your body at that point as it will tell you what it needs.

Dave Van Skike
07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
That's a myth....mine is still plenty fast. Extended starvation slows down a metabolism...and that takes weeks......

Thank you MOD.

Barry Anderberg
07-11-2008, 08:05 PM
We all fast during sleep...so in a sense....well....yes.

Actually it's very rare I eat before 10am....but I also do not get up before 7-8am....often days I may even go without food till 12-1pm (but still have an Americano/Expresso)....but I usually will extend my eating window later as varied....sometimes 6pm....sometimes 8pm....sometimes on the weekend it's much much later. That and IF is supposed to be "intermittent".......so use it as neccessary as people can experience excess anxiety or nervousness depending on their lifestyle factors and other issues. Must learn to just listen to your body at that point as it will tell you what it needs.

Well I did IF every day this past week, and I dig the part before I eat. Feeling hungry doesn't bother me much, and the mental clarity lends itself to writing software, plus I drink black coffee. Trying to stuff myself with 3000 calories in 7 to 8 hours sucks.. but I did notice some interesting changes almost immediately.. in the last few hours of the fast I can flex my muscles more than ever before. I made my bicep peak higher than ever which is weird. I also generally look leaner. I also noticed positive gastrointestinal changes.

Mike ODonnell
07-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I also generally look leaner. I also noticed positive gastrointestinal changes.

good thing that whole IF thing actually does have postive results....otherwise I might have to change the url of my blog....and "thezonelife.com" doesn't sound as good. Not too mention who wants a blog all about being OCD 24/7....not me! ;)

joe waguespack
07-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Well I did IF every day this past week, and I dig the part before I eat. Feeling hungry doesn't bother me much, and the mental clarity lends itself to writing software, plus I drink black coffee. Trying to stuff myself with 3000 calories in 7 to 8 hours sucks.. but I did notice some interesting changes almost immediately.. in the last few hours of the fast I can flex my muscles more than ever before. I made my bicep peak higher than ever which is weird. I also generally look leaner. I also noticed positive gastrointestinal changes.

I'm into me second week and it also seemed like over night changes took place. I was starting to worry because at first I looked like I was softening up , but I woke up this morning with veins popping out everywhere in my abs, it happened over night. Not to mention I feel great and love the freedom IF gives.

I'm so glad I found THIS forum, if someone would make peeked biceps or vascular abs comments on the Crossfit forum we would be getting ripped a new one because thats not supposed to important.We might even be accused of being concerned with physical appearance!!!:eek: :D

Mike ODonnell
07-12-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm into me second week and it also seemed like over night changes took place. I was starting to worry because at first I looked like I was softening up , but I woke up this morning with veins popping out everywhere in my abs, it happened over night. Not to mention I feel great and love the freedom IF gives.

I'm so glad I found THIS forum, if someone would make peeked biceps or vascular abs comments on the Crossfit forum we would be getting ripped a new one because thats not supposed to important.We might even be accused of being concerned with physical appearance!!!:eek: :D

Never know how the body will respond until you try something. In the end IF should give you full control on how to understand what eating habbits/foods will give you the results you are looking for. As for abs and biceps....nothing wrong with having those....as long as your happiness and sanity doesn't revolve around them...and you don't start to dress like this guy....
http://www.mulletjunky.com/webimages/fullct.jpg

joe waguespack
07-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Never know how the body will respond until you try something. In the end IF should give you full control on how to understand what eating habbits/foods will give you the results you are looking for. As for abs and biceps....nothing wrong with having those....as long as your happiness and sanity doesn't revolve around them...and you don't start to dress like this guy....
http://www.mulletjunky.com/webimages/fullct.jpg
:eek: :confused: LMAO

Dave Paton
07-12-2008, 01:35 PM
If CF is against physical appearance as the least important factor, they should make those dudes in the CF games wear shirts!

joe waguespack
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
No way !!! The drag factor from the t-shirt would add precious seconds to their Fran times.:D

Kevin Perry
07-12-2008, 08:53 PM
yes IF is good, I love the randomness of IF. For example, I went to bed yesterday a couple hours after my last meal ( note I don't sleep much.. very bad insomnia condition ) but when I did get some rest and did a few things the next day and got my workout in, it had been 15 hours since my last meal. Everything worked perfect today, PWO meal which was fairly heavy in carbs and my last 2 meals which were high in protein and low carb. Worked out good and have felt good today.

IF does wonderfull things.

Jason Lin
07-13-2008, 05:37 AM
The protocol on those CF videos is to start with a shirt and then in the middle of the WOD, when you are all pumped up and nice and sweaty and shiny, slowly remove your shirt. Don't forget to flex your lats while doing it.

Mike ODonnell
07-13-2008, 07:23 AM
The protocol on those CF videos is to start with a shirt and then in the middle of the WOD, when you are all pumped up and nice and sweaty and shiny, slowly remove your shirt. Don't forget to flex your lats while doing it.

They stole that from DeVany. :D