PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting shoe recommendations

Pat McElhone
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Brooks Running Shoes, size 9.5 feet my feet well. Vibram Five Fingers, 43 fit well. Can any one recommend a weightlifting shoe and size that would be optimal for my base based on the above. Thank you.

Greg Everett
07-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Pat -

Depends on the brand, but Adidas and Do-Win you'll probably want a 9, but it's tough to say because shoe brands vary so much with sizes. General rule is 1/2 size smaller than your street shoes.

Allen Yeh
07-21-2008, 06:27 AM
If you are considering Do-wins I'd give Glenn Pendlay a call and he can make a good recommendation on sizing.

Matt Edwards
08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
For weight lifting shoes, how snug of a fit do you want? I'm looking to get my first pair and don't want too big/small of a pair.

Jarod Barker
08-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Is there really a big difference from shoe to shoe? I've never had a pair of weightlifting shoes, but my experience with skates and running shoes leads me to suspect they vary widely, and the right shoe makes a big difference.

What's a good shoe for a first pair?

Is there a large difference between the Ironwork II and the Adistar? (the last models, not the 2008 models)

How do Do-Wins and the Rogue shoes rate?

Jarod Barker
08-12-2008, 12:14 PM
I believe the shoe question has been answered once and for all. Team China Nikes! They have to be bright red though or else all your strength is lost. It's gotta be the shoes!

Steve Ericson
08-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Brooks Running Shoes, size 9.5 feet my feet well. Vibram Five Fingers, 43 fit well. Can any one recommend a weightlifting shoe and size that would be optimal for my base based on the above. Thank you.

To confirm what Greg mentioned, I wear a size 11 in Brooks running shoes and the Rogue Do Wins in a 10 1/2 fit me perfectly.

On a side note those new Nike's do look pretty narley.

Chris Robinson
08-12-2008, 10:17 PM
General rule is 1/2 size smaller than your street shoes.Any other suggestions for someone who has shoes in a variety of sizes? I have:
- Nike Zoom Waffle Racer IV: 11.5
- Johnston & Murphy dress shoes: 11.5
- Cole Hahn loafers: 10.5
- Bostonian dress shoes: 10
- GBX loafers: 10
- Five Fingers: 43

Is there a large difference between the Ironwork II and the Adistar? (the last models, not the 2008 models)Any other thoughts on this question? I'm looking to get one of the two, but I'm not sure if the AdiStars are worth an extra $40.

And, for those that will say, "You should try the Rogues." I have and I found them to be a little too wide. I have pretty narrow feet.

Jarod Barker
08-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, I wear a 42 in Fivefingers, a 10 in Mizunos and Brooks, a 10.5 in Asics, and when I tried on a VS Athletics 9.5 I thought it was a bit tight on length. I don't know how the VS Athletics run compared to other weightlifting shoes, but I think they're sized pretty close to my Brooks.

As for brand, I was looking at Adidas too because my feet are pretty narrow. I keep checking ebay, and there are usually a few pairs on there but they go quick. Not a bad starting point though. I've been hoping to spot a pair of Adidas 2K's, but I think I spotted a pair of Adistar II's and a pair of Ironworks last time I checked.

Pat McElhone
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Following up. Thanks for the suggestions. I got a pair of Do-Wins 42, the label says 8.5 US. They fit perfect. I believe they made an instant improvement in my lifts...this may because of their bright red color.

Yuen Sohn
08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Any other suggestions for someone who has shoes in a variety of sizes? I have:
- Nike Zoom Waffle Racer IV: 11.5
- Johnston & Murphy dress shoes: 11.5
- Cole Hahn loafers: 10.5
- Bostonian dress shoes: 10
- GBX loafers: 10
- Five Fingers: 43

Any other thoughts on this question? I'm looking to get one of the two, but I'm not sure if the AdiStars are worth an extra $40.

Chris, I wear Cole Haan size 8 1/2 and wear a size 9 Ironworks II. I've got slightly wide feet and found that 8.5 was just a bit too tight for comfort. Length-wise though, it was a good fit. If you've got any questions, best to contact Dynamic Eleiko to see if you can work something out.

Jeremy Shepard
08-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I just ordered a pair of Do-Win Rogues, hoping to get a nice boost from my old Chucks. Anyone tried the Rogues yet?

Leo Soubbotine
08-13-2008, 05:26 PM
One of my guys has them and likes them a lot.

Chris Robinson
08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
So the Nikes are out now: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35777 (wfs).

Anyone have any feedback on them? Any idea on how they compare to the AdiStars (old version)?

Jarod Barker
08-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Well so far, all the Chinese lifters are winning gold, except the one who wasn't wearing his Nikes. Even this morning Lu Yong wore them as he managed to tie Rybakov's world record total despite not wearing "burn your retinas" red. Not that I actually believe their shoe choice makes any difference compared to a lifetime of training.

I don't know enough to compare them to another shoe, but I believe I saw that the heel is made of some resin that is harder and lighter than wood. I believe Adidas had introduced a shoe at one point with a resin instead of wood heel as well, but has returned to the wood heels since lifters say they prefer it. I suppose it will come down to a matter of preference and what most people are used to. I know for skates when they first introduced the composite outsole, everyone still wanted the plastic because of the way it flexed, now you can barely find a top end skate without the composite.

ryan mac
08-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Any body got suggestions for the double negative? Long and ridiculously narrow.

I measure a 13 on the shoe store contraption. I'm an A in width. I often have to go with 12's because very few shoes have width options. Anyone have recommendations for a weightlifting shoe suitable for my handicap? :D

Carl Chia
08-25-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm using adistar. I have somewhat wide feet and I feel slight discomfort at times.. so I guess adidas is better suited for people with narrow feet. It's serving me fine though.

Jeremy Shepard
08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
One of my guys has them and likes them a lot.

Mine came in, and I have to agree. They are awesome. Of course, I don't have any other kinds to compare them against, though.

Allen Yeh
08-26-2008, 04:30 AM
Any body got suggestions for the double negative? Long and ridiculously narrow.

I measure a 13 on the shoe store contraption. I'm an A in width. I often have to go with 12's because very few shoes have width options. Anyone have recommendations for a weightlifting shoe suitable for my handicap? :D

There was a thread on Goheavy about which shoes to go with if you have a wide foot and which to go with if you have a narrow foot. I tried searching and can't seem to come up with anything.

I'd get in contact with Glenn and ask him if Do-wins would be suitable for you with your situation.
http://store.wfwclub.com/info.html

Greg Everett
08-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Wide feet - Do-win, VS, Botev

Narrow - Adidas

Dave Van Skike
08-27-2008, 03:40 PM
what's the heal height like on those botev's?

Greg Everett
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Low. 22 mm difference between toe and heel. Compared to older Adidas (equips), which are 23 mm difference.

Jarod Barker
08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
How's the sizing on Adidas? I tried on a VS Athletics 9.5 that felt a bit tight on length but a tad wide. I'm guessing a 10 as long as the sizing is pretty consistent from brand to brand. Although I spotted a size 8 on ebay, and the seller said the shoe was 11 inches, which is actually bigger than my foot? So either they're talking euro sizes or I need another ruler.

Jarod Barker
08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Just thought I would share these. Apparently they are the most expensive weightlifting shoes ever made. Kinda cool looking actually, but I doubt they're very functional.

http://coolestblog.blogs.com/coolestblog/2006/02/y3_weightliftin.html

Paul McKirdy
09-01-2008, 05:17 AM
I'm using adistar. I have somewhat wide feet and I feel slight discomfort at times.. so I guess adidas is better suited for people with narrow feet. It's serving me fine though.

Double plus on this. I will be ordering Rogue's either next week or the week after. When I move up over 315 on squats or deads, my feet kill me the next day using Adidas Ironworks II... Asked Coach Rip about wide feet and he recommended the Rogues, "Yeah, ducks can wear them.", so that is what I am going to try next.