PDA

View Full Version : JG Training Journal

Jack Gayton
07-17-2008, 02:58 AM
First post on this forum.

Been following crossfit for just over a year. Have made tremendous gains but seemed to stall in terms of strength. After some research (Gant's hybrid, MEBB etc) and recommendations, I decided to give the CA WOD a shot. In reading "The Catalyst Athletics WOD Explained" by Greg Everett, I saw the exact program I'm looking for right now.

My main concern was sticking w/ a WOD program / format. When I build my own programs or pick up on others, I'm all over the place. In two weeks I managed to cut-up Gant's hybrid to the point where I did not recognize it anymore. At which point I asked myself WTF I was thinking. I tweak and tinker, generally getting nowhere. I prefer to be told exactly what to do and not worry about the science behind it.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: Approx 168 lbs (haven't weighed myself in months)
BF% - Approx 15%
Diet - Modified Paleo (some dairy)

Current PR's
DL - 300#
BS - 275#
SP - 140#
5K - 22:26
Fran - 6:21
Cindy - 21 Rounds
Murph - 38:59

I'm woefully inept in terms of OLY lifts, so I'll be starting off slow over the next couple weeks to avoid injury. Today is a rest day on the main site so I'll spend some time working on the snatch for tomorrows WOD.

Derek Simonds
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Welcome aboard. The CA WOD rocks. You will enjoy the metcons Greg throws in they are awesome.

Allen Yeh
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the board.

Jack Gayton
07-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys. Very cool programming.

At first, I was concerned with the repetition of exercises / intensity / volume. Then, I read up on the Bulgarian Method. Now I get it and at least I know not to panic if it seems grueling for a while.

Speaking of.. Ate some humble pie this morning for breakfast.

Friday July 18 2008

Snatch - 80% x 1 x 3
broomstick X 10
45# bar X 10
95#-95#-95#
Notes - Need to continue drilling w/ broomstick, then bar. Go up to 105#.

Clean & jerk - 80% x 1 x 3
broomstick X 10
45# bar X 10
115#-115#-115#
Notes - Need to continue drilling w/ broomstick, then bar. Go up to 115#.

Pull-ups - 3 x max
15-7-5
Notes - From a dead hang. Minimal rest between rounds.

Hanging leg raises - 3 x 15
1 - 5 reps
2 - 3 reps (ugh)
3 - 15 reps 1/2 ROM
Notes - I thought these would be easy, but staying in a hang just kills me. These will take some getting used to.