PDA

View Full Version : Paleo Diet Book

Joel Barnett
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I just went to a bookstore with the intent of buying The Paleo Diet (and Good Cals/Bad Cals), but they were out (of both). They did have in stock "Paleo Diet for Athletes". Can anyone please give me a tip on whether I should just get the original or if the "Athletes" version is fine?

I am currently doing Zone at 21 blocks and 5X and include some oatmeal a couple times a week and I do eat legumes and dairy. I am interested in learning more about Paleo in addition to what I read on this and CF boards.

Thanks very much!

Mike ODonnell
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Athletes version = more whole food carb pwo (and some pre-wo fruit if I recall correctly)

Check the library...probably find the original Paleo Diet book there for free.

Joel Barnett
07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks a bunch. I'll check the library. Easy to forget about that resource sometimes.

Joel Barnett
07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Actually, perhaps someone can help me with some ideas in the meantime until I locate and read the book.

I do most of the cooking in my family which is great because I can control most of the food choices. I am in need of a little help for my wife though. She has a little bit of an unusual situation in that her job is outdoors in the woods and running into bears and/or cougars is a very real possibility (and does happen). So, she vetos anything that could become too "smelly" in a tupperware for a few hours un-refridgerated. Also, due to carrying job related gear, packing food space and weight is at a premium.

For a long time I was packing her cut up meat (cold) and some beans and nuts. She got sick of beans after a while. Currently she is packing cut up grilled chicken in pita bread (I know) with some avocado and mustard.

Can anyone please offer some tips or resources for me to help in this situation? Oh yeah, she is preggers too. :)

Jay Cohen
07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I'd pack her a 44 Mag, anything less would just piss them off.

I'll PM you my address as to shipping me some bear meat. Are Cougars protected, if not, I'm game(no pun intended).

Darryl Shaw
07-22-2008, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't recommend Paleo Diet For Athletes as I thought it was badly written, poorly edited and contradictory in places so if Cordains original Paleo diet book is unavailible I'd look for Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond or you could try amazon and ebay for anything by S. Boyd Eaton.

Joel Barnett
07-22-2008, 08:19 AM
I ordered a used copy of the original Paleo Diet book last night. I am looking forward to reading it.

Sorry about the Bear and Cougar meat, Jay. That is a no-go. Besides, I hear cat meat is really stringy. Bear on the other hand...I believe is same family as pig and while I have never had it, I hear it is quite good.