PDA

View Full Version : Forum Shorthand

Neil Holloway
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Hello everyone, I just discovered this site when looking for a hybrid strength/metcon program to enhance my Parkour performance. I discovered Gant's hybrid program, and it looked absolutely fantastic. But I am confused by the shorthand used in the post. I figured out what some was, like OHS, metcon, ME, etc. But I am wondering what do these mean: PR, PP, BS, HS, etc? I may have been doing CF for a couple months, but I still don't know what most of these mean. Can anyone help out?

Dave Van Skike
07-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone, I just discovered this site when looking for a hybrid strength/metcon program to enhance my Parkour performance. I discovered Gant's hybrid program, and it looked absolutely fantastic. But I am confused by the shorthand used in the post. I figured out what some was, like OHS, metcon, ME, etc. But I am wondering what do these mean: PR, PP, BS, HS, etc? I may have been doing CF for a couple months, but I still don't know what most of these mean. Can anyone help out?

Neil.. I apologize. That's probably annoying. I will try to correct that in my posts.
OHS= overhead squat
PR= personal record
PP= push press
BS= Back Squat
HS=...probably hand stand..i don't know i don't go in for that sort of thing.

Neil Holloway
07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I think handstand is correct. I think I have figured out what some others are
HPC=high-pull clean
PC=pull-clean
FS=front squat
P-Sn=Pull-snatch

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Derek Simonds
07-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I think handstand is correct. I think I have figured out what some others are
HPC=high-pull clean
PC=pull-clean
FS=front squat
P-Sn=Pull-snatch

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome. Probably got those wrong.

HPC = HANG POWER CLEAN
PC = POWER CLEAN
PSn = POWER SNATCH

I hope that helps. Anytime you see something you aren't sure of and can't find just ask.

Gant Grimes
07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Some stuff from my log:

**I only log work sets. Eg. if I'm working up to a max single on snatch, I might only list one weight. I don't log warmup sets.

notation:

AxBxC= weight x sets x reps
BxC= sets x reps (Greg E. does the opposite on this forum's WOD)

gymnastical jackassery

FL=front lever
BL=back lever
prog.= progressions
HS= handstand
PL=planche

weights (all weights in kilos unless they have a # sign)

H=hang
P=power
M=muscle
C/Cl=clean
C&J= clean & jerk
SN/Sn= snatch
pos.=position (eg. 3 pos. Cl)

so...HPC= hang power clean

S=squat
F=front
B=back
OH=overhead
P= press (overhead)
PP=push press
BP=bench press
DB=dumbbell

so...OH DB P= overhead dumbbell press (thanks a lot, Louie, you MF...)

other

max=Circa max or max for day. Not a true max
ME=max effort
DE=dynamic effort
sec.=seconds (usually for rest)
alt. 3 grip= alternating 3 grips, usually on DE BP (3 sets narrow, 3 sets medium, 3 grips wide)
J=judo
JJ=ju jitsu
BJJ= Brazilian jiujitsu
tab=Tabata intervals (in my case, 6 rounds)

Mike ODonnell
07-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Six pack = Guinness

Gant Grimes
07-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Six pack = Guinness

Yes, indeed. A very important distinction between this forum and the CF forum.

Kevin Perry
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Six pack = Guinness

Very important indeed

Dave Van Skike
07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Six pack = Guinness

Wellll well well....MOD outs himself as one of those BOTTLE Guinness drinkers... glass? meh. no tnx. a wee little twelve ounce dash is insufficient...

14.9 oz cans are four and eight packs...never six.

Guinness comes in aluminum.... kegs or cans. or as the pronounce it across the pond.. Aluminium

Gant Grimes
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Wellll well well....MOD outs himself as one of those BOTTLE Guinness drinkers... glass? meh. no tnx. a wee little twelve ounce dash is insufficient...

Guinness comes in aluminum.... kegs or cans. or as the pronounce it across the pond.. Aluminium

Ah yes. But surely you'd agree that a six-pack of Guiness bottles is preferable to the quest for six visible abdominal muscles.

Mike Wright
07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Hate to beat a dead horse, but what about GJ? (Gymnatical Jackassery)

Mike ODonnell
07-23-2008, 07:21 PM

Technically...my local watering hole has a member drinking club that somehow I got into (with needing to only drink 125 different beers)....and I have nice cold 20oz mug waiting for me everytime I show up...Mmmmmmm.....straight from the tap....anything I like. Yummy.

Dave Van Skike
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Hate to beat a dead horse, but what about GJ? (Gymnastical Jackassery)

I should have trademarked that at the outset....

Neil Holloway
07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Gant Grimes: Thank you for that notation glossary. This helps quite a bit!

Neil Holloway
07-29-2008, 02:26 PM
hey Gant, when you say singles and doubles in your program, do you mean sets of 1-2 reps?

Garrett Smith
07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Dave,
What's your opinion on "strongman tomfoolery" (ST)?

Dave Van Skike
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Dave,
What's your opinion on "strongman tomfoolery" (ST)?

As a very "weak performer" in this regard, I like to think of it as remedial leverage and gravity therapy but to each his own.

Derek Simonds
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
hey Gant, when you say singles and doubles in your program, do you mean sets of 1-2 reps?

Yes that is what he means.

I saw Greg's tag line and you can't forget the venerated AKP or arse kicking potential.

Gant Grimes
07-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Hate to beat a dead horse, but what about GJ? (Gymnatical Jackassery)

No. Some things, like the word "Texas," need to be spelled out every time. The abbreviation just doesn't have the same flavor.

Mike ODonnell
07-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Is there a KJ? (Kettlebell Juggling?)

Also as one of my offline trainer buddies likes to call the stuff that trainers try and do in the gym with 100 core products....NT (Ninja Training)

When one of his clients asked why they weren't using a bosu ball and jumping all around and just doing boring lunges and using boring weights....he asked "Do you want to be a Ninja or look good in your pants?".....love that line.

Gant Grimes
07-30-2008, 10:30 AM
"Do you want to be a Ninja or look good in your pants?".....love that line.

I want to look good in ninja pants.