PDA

View Full Version : Testers for new program

Brandon Oto
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I need some guinea pigs to help fine-tune the alternative GPP program I'm working on. Good candidates are anyone who's not a total beginner (knows their exercises, has some strength/conditioning) and is willing to play with something new for a week or two (or as long as you want if you like it). Anyone who could use some more strength or power is an especially good fit.

Program is five days a week. Workload is somewhat less than the CF WoD but workouts will probably take you a little longer, more along the lines of a SS workout.

Post or PM if you're interested. Program will be publicly released when it's together.

John Alston
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
So you've made a program based on all the good advice (http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35084)you got from P&B (not really work safe)? Do share.

Brandon Oto
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd prefer to keep it boxed up until the kinks are ironed out. That's why I'm going with a private test first.

Dave Van Skike
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
might be dangerous. why aren't you testing it on yourself?

Brandon Oto
07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm in the middle of an unrelated cycle. I'll be on it later. Anyway for obvious reasons I need N>1.

Dave Van Skike
07-24-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm in the middle of an unrelated cycle. I'll be on it later. Anyway for obvious reasons I need N>1.

ummm. I don't get it. I get the sample size but, why aren't you doing it again? Can you share what the program is?

Tom Rawls
07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Brandon,

Think less. Do more. Lift heavy. Run fast. Whatever.

Brandon Oto
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm currently doing other specific stuff. (V-Diet among other things, so I won't have the gas for a full-fledged training program.)

It's very similar to Gant's hybrid program. Again, I'd rather keep it private for couple weeks until the details are nailed down, since things will undoubtedly be changing as a result of feedback.

Noel Welsh
07-25-2008, 08:06 AM
I might be interested, as I'm just finishing up a cycle next week. I was thinking of adapting Gant's hybrid program so if yours is similar I could try to incorporate it into the mix. However I have my own goals, which might not coincide with the goals of your program, so I'd be more likely to take the basic ideas and adapt them then follow the program to the letter. I also have a bunch of injuries I have to work around (broken foot which is a few weeks from healed, recent elbow tendinitis, and bizarrely pulled my groin warming up front squats (???)).

All up I think you're better getting the ideas out there and letting others do what they will. I don't think fine tuning of a program is such an important thing. People differ enough in goals and capabilities that your program will get adapted anyway, and you will change it from experience. The idea that you need to create a definitive version before letting the public at it is not so meaningful when you consider this.

Gant Grimes
07-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm currently doing other specific stuff. (V-Diet among other things, so I won't have the gas for a full-fledged training program.)

We've talked, so I know where you're going with this thing. Being a guinea pig** for own program is part of the fun. Nothing duplicates the feeling of knowing when you've done it right or wrong. There have been many times when I've been walking around with a large rock and realized that particular workout was stupid. That's quality feedback, and it gives you a reference point from which to evaluate others' input.

What the hell is a skinny bloke like you doing on the V-diet? You need to come to my house. I made this up while I was eating a half dozen eggs, some sausage, and leftover fajitas.

Ice cream and cookie dough go well with a DL and squat program.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/gantgrimes/IMG_0018.jpg

**A little boy asks Grandpa O’Malley, “Can I have five bucks to buy a guinea pig?”

“Here,” says the old man as he hands the boy a $10 bill. “Go get yourself a nice Irish girl instead.”

Brandon Oto
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I ain't so skinny no mo. Just taking a little interval after a bunch of bulking. This is actually a lot of fun.

Brandon Oto
07-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Now I'm hungry, you son of a bitch.

John Alston
07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
What the hell is a skinny bloke like you doing on the V-diet? You need to come to my house. I made this up while I was eating a half dozen eggs, some sausage, and leftover fajitas.

**A little boy asks Grandpa O’Malley, “Can I have five bucks to buy a guinea pig?”

“Here,” says the old man as he hands the boy a $10 bill. “Go get yourself a nice Irish girl instead.”

Word.

Yael Grauer
07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
How long is the program? I might be interested except I am also doing BJJ, would that mess it up?

Jacob Rowell
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Brandon,

I've been keeping up with your posts on CF, P&B, here (I'm a bit of a professional lurker).

So, my question, why create a new "system" as oppossed to programming for your individual strengths/weaknesses and ultimately your own goals? I've been going down a similar path for awhile, so I speak from experience. I've never had a problem with CrossFit, I run an affiliate, and I love what it does for the people who train at my gym in that it meets their needs, goals, and keeps them motivated to boot. I simply wanted to get stronger faster than what CrossFit would allow, so I programmed accordingly. Does everyone share my desire to be a slimmed down version of Bill kazmaier? Nope. So I didn't make a system and see if others will do it, I programmed in a manner that would help me to acheive my own goals, just like everyone was doing before CrossFit.

Now, I can see if you were attempting to create a program that would achieve the goals of fitness that CrossFit aims to, only better. Bold move! But you've said that you don't agree with some pretty key points, namely the work capacity model. Cool. So clearly this program has some different goals (power, strength, with the ability to knock out some shorter metcons?) Are we saying that these are better goals that the ones CrossFit lays out? Yes, I know, the nice guys over at P&B said CrossFit was "teh ghey" will make you "suck at everything". but without starting a 300 post thread on the CF messageboard, I'm not buying it. If these goals are asserted to be better, we're going to have to know why!

Or is it that, like I've said, this is a program which just fits your interests a little better than CrossFit does at the moment?

Best of Luck,

Jake

Brandon Oto
07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Yael, we're just going to test for a couple weeks I think, starting Monday...

So, my question, why create a new "system" as oppossed to programming for your individual strengths/weaknesses and ultimately your own goals?

I'm prone to overanalysis and helping others. But if you'd like you can think of this as my own program and other people stole it from my vault. Makes no difference.

Now, I can see if you were attempting to create a program that would achieve the goals of fitness that CrossFit aims to, only better. Bold move! But you've said that you don't agree with some pretty key points, namely the work capacity model. Cool. So clearly this program has some different goals (power, strength, with the ability to knock out some shorter metcons?) Are we saying that these are better goals that the ones CrossFit lays out?

IMO they're the same as the goals CF ORIGINALLY laid out, in the "What is Fitness?" paper and the like. I like those goals. It's different from CF's actual goals currently, meaning what the current WoDs aim for, which seems to be predominantly work capacity and getting really good at CF. I don't like those goals. So it's a bit of a throwback.

If these goals are asserted to be better, we're going to have to know why!

As I talked about a bunch in that big thread, they are probably more useful for applications outside the CF world. Meaning a sport, or life, or whatever. But even if you don't think so, there are advantages, such as a more variable and interesting program. If nothing else I wanted something that can really be customized easily (without making people program from scratch).

Steve Liberati
07-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Start a workout log and call it a day.

Leo Soubbotine
07-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Looks like people are getting fed up with silly rants on all the boards.

Seeing a tendency yet Brandon?

Mike Wright
07-25-2008, 03:32 PM
"IMO they're the same as the goals CF ORIGINALLY laid out, in the "What is Fitness?" paper and the like. I like those goals. It's different from CF's actual goals currently, meaning what the current WoDs aim for, which seems to be predominantly work capacity and getting really good at CF. I don't like those goals. So it's a bit of a throwback."

Kinda like when FLDS broke off from LDS when they began to change doctrine? What will you call it? FCF (Fundamental CrossFit). I was wondering when we would see the first true denomination from the CF religion.

All jokes aside, I wish you all the best with you're program but it will be a hard sell around here w/o details. Hell, it would be a hard sell with details! Im w/Mr. Liberati, start a log and if its worthy, people will adopt it. Godspeed, Mike.:D

Brandon Oto
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Wasn't trying to sell anything here, guys. Just asking for volunteers. Give it a rest.

Dave Van Skike
07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
the nice guys over at P&B said CrossFit was "teh ghey" will make you "suck at everything".

slightly more nuanced....consensus seemed to be it wouldn't make you good at anything. (at least nothing most of us at PB considered worth doing)......big difference.

but whatever. Steve's got it nailed. Do it, Log it and like minds will follow if it works....

Jarod Barker
07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Please forgive my digression from the thread topic, but this is the second or third time I've seen cookie dough and ice cream. Obviously I'm new to the forum, so I just have to ask is this just an ongoing joke or are you guys actually eating it?

Yael Grauer
07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Brandon, it'd be perfect for me right now assuming there's not a lot of equipment. My MMA gym just got, uh, evicted and they are in between locations and it'll be two weeks or so before I get my purple gi in the mail to start BJJ... so I'll be doing bodyweight exercises. Anyway, yeah, send me an e-mail.

Brandon Oto
07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Please forgive my digression from the thread topic, but this is the second or third time I've seen cookie dough and ice cream. Obviously I'm new to the forum, so I just have to ask is this just an ongoing joke or are you guys actually eating it?

Of course. I'm just impressed that Gant is MAKING it.

Steven Low
07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
300+ post thread about Breyer's ice cream and weight loss.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20754

----------------

And yeah, Gant is crazy for making it. :p I wonder how much it actually costs him to make that compared to actually buying it. Then again you can control what goes into it....

David Chambers
07-29-2008, 03:51 AM
I'd definitely be interested in this. I'm currently on day two of Gants Hybrid program after becoming increasingly frustrated at my diminishing metcon with SS.

Let me know if you need a willing volunteer...

Peter Dell'Orto
07-29-2008, 06:29 AM

Crossfit. You come for the fitness, you stay for the ice cream.

John Alston
07-29-2008, 09:11 AM
I thought people came for the ideology and stayed for the tatoos.

Bill Henniger
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Brandon,

I have read your posts on the CF, PB and now PM. I know you are a young guy that wants to reinvent the wheel and I look forward to your top secret workout plan. If it is truly worthwile, why not post it and allow everyone to watch the experiment? If you are willing to take on all those you have asked help from then you should be able to put your program on the table.

You should be mindful of the bridges burning behind you. Someone said it here a while back, let us see your training log. I normally don't post but you bouncing all over the map is driving me nuts.

Bill
Rogue Fitness (http://www.roguefitness.com)

Dave Van Skike
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I thought people came for the chicks on the main page, and stayed for the tatoos.

Oh snap, Bro.:eek: ..I'm pretty sure those are guys...You might want to clear your browser cache before your wife/GF finds that stuff.

Allen Yeh
07-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Brandon,

I have read your posts on the CF, PB and now PM. I know you are a young guy that wants to reinvent the wheel and I look forward to your top secret workout plan. If it is truly worthwile, why not post it and allow everyone to watch the experiment? If you are willing to take on all those you have asked help from then you should be able to put your program on the table.

You should be mindful of the bridges burning behind you. Someone said it here a while back, let us see your training log. I normally don't post but you bouncing all over the map is driving me nuts.

Bill
Rogue Fitness (http://www.roguefitness.com)

Welcome to the forum. I met one of your guys, he works out over at the Bolling CF sometimes, an AF LT by the name of Eric, not sure of his last name.

John Alston
07-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Oh snap, Bro.:eek: ..I'm pretty sure those are guys...You might want to clear your browser cache before your wife/GF finds that stuff.
Hah. Well there's a whole, eh, never mind. Never Mind...

Jarod Barker
07-30-2008, 12:30 PM

----------------

And yeah, Gant is crazy for making it. :p I wonder how much it actually costs him to make that compared to actually buying it. Then again you can control what goes into it....

Thanks for the link, apparently an ice cream diet sounds attractive to alot of people.

Bill Henniger
07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Allen,

Thanks for the welcome!

Eric Riethman is the guy, he is a awesome athlete and is going to be an outstanding pilot. We were sad to see him leave!

He told me Bolling has a sweet workout facility.

Bill

Allen Yeh
07-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Allen,

Thanks for the welcome!

Eric Riethman is the guy, he is a awesome athlete and is going to be an outstanding pilot. We were sad to see him leave!

He told me Bolling has a sweet workout facility.

Bill

It's great when the AF buys all this great stuff just for CF.