PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Weightlifting Book - Pre-Order

Greg Everett
07-25-2008, 09:15 AM
The new book can be pre-ordered (http://www.cathletics.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=155) now. Expected ship date is Sept 15th.

http://www.cathletics.com/zen/images/olyBookCoverScreen300.jpg

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches is the most comprehensive and practical book available on learning, teaching and performing the Olympic lifts for athletes of all disciplines. Progressing logically from start to finish, the book covers every aspect of learning and training with both the simplicity necessary for the novice and the complexity desired by the more advanced. Contains more than 50 supplemental exercises and over 600 photographs.
(300 pages)

Learning Progressions
Supplemental Exercises
Fault Correction
Flexibility Training
Nutrition & Bodyweight
Program Design
Recovery Management
Equipment & Facility
Competition“I have purchased dozens of books over the past fifteen years on topics ranging from martial arts to elements of gymnastics and weightlifting. Most contain some useful information; however, few make the yearly cut when I weed through my bookshelf to make room for new material. Why? I can't look back at these books, year after year and find something new every time I open the page. This is not the case with Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches. Everett’s book is unique in that it is concise, yet thorough. Anyone from a raw beginner to the elite level competitor will find something new in this book every time they open its pages. Everett’s strengths are his attention to detail and intelligent, accessible progressions. You will love this book, and it will never end up at the used bookstore.”
Robb Wolf, NorCal Strength & Conditioning

Jacob Rowell
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Said and done, as of a few minutes ago. (Along with the poster set!)

Really, i've been looking forward to this since I heard you would be writing a book. Starting Strength was for me, extremely beneficial. There's been an absence of weightlifting information that's comparable in terms of both accessibility and depth. So often I find that I know what a good lift looks like, how to get others working towards that goal. But, it seems that I'm usually wondering why certain techniques are the most efficient, as well as the little details which make all the difference (such as the pointers I picked up on the difference between the DL and clean/snatch starting position - makes quite a bit of sense now but I didn't know the difference and certainly couldn't articulate why it would be different).

Now we just gotta wait!

Blair Lowe
07-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Very cool, this to go along with your DVD sound like excellent resources for someone who can't find instruction or throw down for the seminar/cert.

Greg Everett
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
“Simply the best book available on Olympic weightlifting. It took me years to acquire the information included in this book. Greg has ... compiled in one book the current accepted views and practices of today's elite lifters and coaches.”
-Don Weideman, Vice President Pacific Weightlifting Association

Anthony Bainbridge
08-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm excited to get my hands on this book!

Greg, I want to pre-order, but I also want to grab a few other items and have them shipped together to save $$. Can your system do that or will it have to ship separately?

Greg Everett
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Anthony -

I can just make a note to hold your order until everything's in stock. Shoot me an email when you place the order and I'll take care of it.

Gant Grimes
08-08-2008, 02:53 PM
+1.

Will there be before/after pictures of thin and fat Greg?

Welcome to PM, Anthony.

Leo Soubbotine
08-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I'll be ordering both the book and Snatch/C&J posters!

Justin Algera
08-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Will be preordering as well. The dvd is great and can't recommend it enough. Will the book be much different than the materials that were sent for the seminar?

Greg Everett
08-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Justin -

The seminar materials are directly from the book - about 100 pages of 300. So there's plenty more in the book. The course materials cover the learning progressions of the lifts only; the book goes into more detailed info on the lifts, as well as a number of other subjects.

Justin Algera
08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Order is in... Can't wait

Matt Corley
08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Will all of the lifts used in the WODs be covered in the book?

Greg Everett
08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
For the most part - exercises used in the metCon portions of the WOD will not be in there.

Matt Corley
08-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Great, thanks!

James Withington
08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey,

I'm really interested in getting a hold of this book. However, I'm over on the other side of the pond in the UK. Will you be shipping overseas at all?

Cheers.

Greg Everett
08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
James -

Yes - shipping over there is in the $20 range I think.

James Withington
08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
James -

Yes - shipping over there is in the $20 range I think.

Splendid. I'll start saving the pennies now!

Cheers. :)

Greg Everett
08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Book is in stock now.

John Schneider
08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh I'm so excited. I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

John Schneider
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Got it today. It looks really good and I can't wait to sit down with it, then put it into effect. Greg, you can expect many questions. Very nice work.

michael cooley
08-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Got it today. It looks really good and I can't wait to sit down with it, then put it into effect. Greg, you can expect many questions. Very nice work.

Santa came to my house, too!!!

Kids, go play in the yard. Daddy's got some reading to do!

mpc

Arien Malec
08-30-2008, 02:52 PM

I got it today as well, and worked through the first major section on progression for the snatch and c&j and the lifts themselves. So far, meets the expectation as the Starting Strength for the olympic lifts.

I own, now, 5 books on weightlifting, and this is by far the clearest and most detailed explanation of the lifts and absolutely the best progression for learning them. I wish I had this book 2 years ago.

Kris Reeves
09-01-2008, 04:33 AM
Mine came Saturday afternoon...and all I can say is wow! This is such a great reference!

Arien Malec
09-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I got it today as well, and worked through the first major section on progression for the snatch and c&j and the lifts themselves. So far, meets the expectation as the Starting Strength for the olympic lifts.

OK, gave the whole book a first pass. Again, the core material on the lifts and progressions is excellent -- very clear and thorough and significantly better than anything else I've read -- again the best analogue is the explanation on the lifts in Starting Strength (if anything, there is more detail in this book). The material on faults and corrections is far better than anything I've read -- I especially like the emphasis on primary faults and secondary faults, as well as clear and practical progressions for correcting the faults.

The material on assistance lifts is good, but could have used links to Greg's material on the CA website.

The programming section covers the basics and gives some nice programming templates. The only opportunity for improvement is that there's a lot more that can be said on this topic.

The nutrition section is again far better than anything equivalent that I've read, although nothing new to a PM reader.

The closing section is on the basic of competitions, including basic rules, weight selection strategies, and practical advice on making weight. I've never read this material anywhere, and it's quite clear.

Really, an excellent book.

Kevin Perry
09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Just recieved the book in the mail a few minutes ago... im giddy like a school girl

Greg Everett
09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Arien -

What else would you like to have seen in the programming section?

Arien Malec
09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
What else would you like to have seen in the programming section?

Re-reading, I can see that what I wrote looked like a critique -- it was more a statement that a more complete treatment of periodization would have required more space than was practical for an already large and comprehensive book.

I would love to see the Practical Programming for weightlifting :-) Actually, I want the PP for weightlifting for 38 year old beginner-intermediates with a poor strength base, but I'd take the former.

PP provides a theoretical framework for strength training (the two factor model) and a set of practical applications for that framework to understanding the differences between beginners, intermediates and advanced trainees, and to program design to meet the needs of each. I can read PP, and understand what my personal overall program design needs are, how to design a program for myself or someone else, and how to judge a program someone else has written.

Given that weightlifting requires strength, technique and power, and that the fatigue and adaptations produced for one modality interfere with the other, it's hard to apply the lessons from PP directly to weightlifting without modification.

For instance, the fatigue caused by a more strength oriented routine interfere with technique and power development for the core lifts. A bulgarian focus on the core lifts may increase technique and power but limit the development of overall strength. When is a focus on one vs the other merited?

The power movements and high pulls help develop overall power, but may interfere with the motor patterns of the core lifts. When should and should they not be included in a program?

These are just examples of something a general framework for weightlifting periodization with practical examples might help answer. There are whole books on this for multi-year periodization for elite lifters, but nothing that I'm aware of for the beginning/intermediate/early advanced lifter.

It would also require your book to be twice as long :-)

michael cooley
09-03-2008, 06:20 AM
I would love to see the Practical Programming for weightlifting :-) Actually, I want the PP for weightlifting for 38 year old beginner-intermediates with a poor strength base, but I'd take the former.

I would concur with Arien -- though I also concur with Arien that it's an excellent and informative book, and I'm thrilled to add it to my collection.

My biggest frustration with Practical Programming has been my inability to adapt its principles to weightlifting. PP worked great for me, and has helped bring my squat back up to a semi-decent level, but for me that's ultimately just a means to an end. PP's focus is more squarely placed on general strength training -- not O-lifting. That said, PP is based on fundamental principles that should still apply in any context, if properly implemented.

Ironically, I think you've lit upon a (if not the) solution in the CA WOD, which I began following a few weeks ago on a modified 3x/week format. Of course, the influences of the CA WOD are readily apparent in the programming section of your book, but some discussion of the methodology and underlying principles upon which the CA WOD format is based would be extremely helpful. Especially for those trying to adapt the concepts to alternative formats (e.g., 3 workouts per week, or 4, or 8 or whatever).

All in all, though, it's a terrific book, and an excellent addition to the fount of knowledge out there for weightlifters.

mpc

Gregory L. Johnson
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok, all this discussion has motivated me to finally order the book. I am looking forward to reading it and learning from it. Since I am learning these lifts on my own it's probably a requirement.

Allen Yeh
09-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Lyle McDonald's review of the book

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/09/03/product-review-olympic-weightlifting-a-complete-guide-for-athletes-coaches/

Greg Everett
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
The issue with the programming section is that it's either the current version, or so epic it requires its own book - and to be honest, I think readers of that book are not really in need of much more than that. There are a few minor things I'm going to add to the second edition, but if one is buying a book that teaches the lifts, that individual is certainly not in need of extremely complex programming information. Programming is way over-thought by most and throwing piles of more information into the mix - in my experience - just prevents them from making the gains they could because they're too busy trying to create some kind of ultimate program that doesn't exist when they'd be better served by squatting, snatching and CJing by intuition 5x/week. Of course, it's my fault for not making that point in the book to explain why the information is as concise as it is.

Arden Cogar Jr.
09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I am so ordering this book as soon as I have spousal approval.

All the best,
Arden

James Withington
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
The book made it to England safe and sound this morning!

Only had a brief flick through, but very impressed so far. Congrats to Greg and everyone else involved for a job well done. :)

garrett stack
09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
mine arrived to Ireland as well.
Looks really well laid out and straightforward.
really looking forward to reading this in the next week or so.
Out of interest Greg how long did it take to write ?

michael cooley
09-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Greg-

Point taken regarding the over-complication of programming. It's probably the single most valuable lesson of Practical Programming. After 10 years of competitive (and inconsistent) weightlifting, that point alone has vaulted my training forward in the last 12 months even as I reduced my overall training hours per week.

Steven-

Look up some Westside templates with with work on assistance exercises (squats, OHS, etc. in this case) and how they integrate it with strength work (C&J, snatch). Similar concepts.

I don't think you intended to come across nearly so condescending as you actually did. That said...

Westside?!? How does Westside have any meaningful application to the question of how the principles of Practical Programming can be applied in the specific context of olympic weightlifting? That was my original question, by the way, and frankly it's a topic that's not much addressed either in Practical Programming or in this or other discussion boards. They are distinctly not similar concepts.

Frankly, the CA WOD comes as close as anything I've yet seen (or sketched out on my own) to implementing it. Kudos to Greg.

mpc

Gregory L. Johnson
09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
There is an interesting article in the August 2006 Mike's Gym Newsletter (http://www.mikesgym.org/newsletter/issues/august_sept%20newsletter.pdf) by Michael Conroy from Idaho Weightlifting on programming. It might be of interest to those trying to develop there own programs.

Gregory L. Johnson
09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Ok, all this discussion has motivated me to finally order the book.

I went home for lunch today and guess what was waiting for me in the mail...nice turnaround.

Greg Everett
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Garrett -

A little over a yr, but it was very sporadic. Had I been interrupted less, it would have been about 6 mos.

Darren Coughlan
09-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Greg-

Congrats again on another fantastic resource!