PDA

View Full Version : Cut the fat off a Brisket?

Grissim Connery
07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I watched several videos and read some recipes that talked about cutting the fat off of briskets. When eating paleo, i assumed you'd want to leave a good portion of the fat on the beef. Is there any way to judge how much fat to leave on there, or should it all just be cut off the side? Would it be better to just cut most the fat off and save it for stir-frying veggies and such? I'm not afraid of the fat, but i just want to make sure that i'm getting a solid portion of protein. The piece of brisket i have has about a .5-1 cm thick fat layer.
Also, since i'm using grass-fed, is the piece of meat really gonna be leaner than normal? I know a lot of this probably depends onthe type of cut, but the place where i get it doesn't really let me choose the cut. The ground beef also doesn't list the percentage of fat which frustrated me. Should i relax and just enjoy it because it's quality meat, or should i really strive to make sure it's leaner in order to get a higher protein content?

Garrett Smith
07-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Enjoy the fat. "Good" fat is a major nutritional reason for buying grass-fed beef. If it seems like too much for your taste/needs, then cut some off.

There are too many other high-payoff things to concern oneself with nutritionally to be concerned about fat in good quality meats.

Stefan Borovina
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh man... where can you find grass fed brisket?? That sounds amazing.

Gant Grimes
08-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Leaner beef won't give you a higher protein content, just a higher pro:fat ratio. It also means you're eating a wussy cow. If you were a cannibal, would you eat a cyclist or a defensive end?

Eating grass-fed brisket without fat is like eating egg whites. If you do either, the guy in your avatar needs to punch you in the face.

Steve Liberati
08-01-2008, 03:03 PM
yeah stop discriminating! If the shoes were reverse and the animal was eating you, you bet your ass the animal would eat every last piece of you.

"mmm...is this a piece of fat on this young man?...I don't think is good for me! Maybe I shouldn't eat it."

Sorry for the visual graphic, but my guess is that animal would turn you into a carcass.

Jay Cohen
08-01-2008, 07:08 PM
I love you guys.

Darryl Shaw
08-02-2008, 04:41 AM
Leaner beef won't give you a higher protein content, just a higher pro:fat ratio. It also means you're eating a wussy cow. If you were a cannibal, would you eat a cyclist or a defensive end?

Eating grass-fed brisket without fat is like eating egg whites. If you do either, the guy in your avatar needs to punch you in the face.

If I were a cannibal I'd eat the cyclist because they'd be easier to hunt than a defensive end thank's to their herd behaviour and love of bright lycra. They tend to be a little scrawny too so they'd put up less of a fight if you picked a straggler off the back of the peleton...... or maybe you could just herd them all over a cliff......

Jay Cohen
08-02-2008, 06:22 AM
I.... or maybe you could just herd them all over a cliff......

That's not a bad idea at anytime.

Liam Dougherty Springer
08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
LOL you all are sick:p

I would not wast an ounce of the fat from GFBeef If I really wanted to trim a cut I would rnder the fat on a low heat and saute a side dish or fry some eggs the next morning. I do that with the center of a rib eye if my fiance dosn't want it.