PDA

View Full Version : OHS vs Lunge

Brandon Enos
07-29-2008, 11:38 PM
If you were to design a program and had to pick between OHS and Lunges, and the other leg exercises being used were back squats and deadlifts rotated as Week 1 - Mon: BS, Wed: DL, Fri: OHS/lunge Week 2 - Mon: RDL, Wed: BS, Fri DL and so on. Which would you pick, OHS or lunge, and why?

I was trying to figure this out and cant come up with a good answer. I love the OHS because the flexibility is great; but unilateral strength is important and lunges are awesome for that.

Mike ODonnell
07-30-2008, 06:09 AM
If you are involved in sports, I would do the lunge.

Go walking-lunge up an incline with something heavy over your head....will work your "core" too.

Allen Yeh
07-30-2008, 06:21 AM
I would utilize the OHS as a WU exercise but not as a main exercise. OHS is great for flexibility and working the core...etc My OHS numbers went up without working the OHS directly, I think working a lunge or unilateral leg exercise like Bulgarian split squats would have more carryover.

Brandon Enos
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Second question along this line, sorta. What would be chosen here, barbell bench press, dumbell bench press, or dumbell floor press, and why? The other exercises being rotared for pressing are pushup variations on Monday and dumbell shoulder presses on Wednesday, the bench/floor press would be on Friday.

Allen Yeh
07-30-2008, 09:21 AM
What do you want to get out of benching would be my question.

Steven Low
07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
No sprinting?

Well, I could understand OHS and lunge if you're doing Oly... but most other sports do require some form of running. Fast running.

Otherwise, I'd go with lunge and use OHS in warmup. Not incredibly taxing enough that you can go semi-heavy and still have a good workout if you wanted.

Brandon Enos
07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Just a third pressing movement. I want to try and work the same muscles but different ways each workout. So thats why I thought of pushups one day, shoulder presses another, and flat pressing a third; but Im open to suggestion as well.

Allen Yeh
07-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I'd go with DB movements over barbell if you aren't specifically going for high BP numbers.

Db press from various angles, DB floor press, single arm DB press...etc.

Dave Van Skike
07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
If you were to design a program and had to pick between OHS and Lunges, and the other leg exercises being used were back squats and deadlifts rotated as Week 1 - Mon: BS, Wed: DL, Fri: OHS/lunge Week 2 - Mon: RDL, Wed: BS, Fri DL and so on. Which would you pick, OHS or lunge, and why?

I was trying to figure this out and cant come up with a good answer. I love the OHS because the flexibility is great; but unilateral strength is important and lunges are awesome for that.

Which is your weak point?
I pick lunges becuase I hate lunges, I hate them with a passion ergo, lunges are a weak point of mine.

I'd pick bench because I'm weak at bench and straight barbell bench flat out builds monster pressing strength. Dumbell incline bench is used by a lot of people to build overhead pressing, floor presses are great as well but the basic barbell bench, close or wide grip with a dicernable pause is a totally legit excercise like weighted dips or the press.

Brandon Enos
07-30-2008, 02:39 PM
No sprinting?

Well, I could understand OHS and lunge if you're doing Oly... but most other sports do require some form of running. Fast running.

Otherwise, I'd go with lunge and use OHS in warmup. Not incredibly taxing enough that you can go semi-heavy and still have a good workout if you wanted.

I plan on running on Tue, Thur, Sat; rotating sprinting days with distance days. Hence why Im doing so few lifts aimed at the legs.

Justin Fricke
07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
If you are playing football skip distance runs altogether..if you are playing soccer just do more sprints same for basketball...If you are running long distance in track then well you get the picture. Sports Soccer, Football, and Basketball have more sprinting involved and are usually quick sprints in play to begin with when in FB will you run a mile?-NEVER Soccer there is an arguement and basketball as well- so unless it is for a mental test then i would stick to Speed Work and Sprinting on oppopsite days--

Brandon Enos
07-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I dont play any sports. Im preparing for a sheriffs academy that involves running ~2 miles a day (when the instructors are feeling nice), five days a week.

Brandon Enos
07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
The other thought I just had was replacing pushups with dips. My reasoning for this is that it would be harder to add progressions to pushups in a comercial gym than dips would, and like pushups, work essentially the same muscles as shoulder and bench pressing, but in a a different path/way/whatever you wanna call it.

Brandon Enos
08-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Okay, so I think I got my workout program figured out for the next 2 or 3 months. Just one last piece of the puzzle. Sets and reps. My first thought was to do something along the lines of a traditional 5x5, but since Ive also been following IF and dont eat as many calories as I used to, not sure if that might be to much volume for 3 days a week. My next thought was either a 5x5 or a 3x5 scheme, figured it might be a little more managable. Any thoughts? Any other rep schemes you think might work better?

Gittit Shwartz
08-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Pushup progressions - you can always do them on pushup handles or just between two benches or steps (with your feet up on the same level) for extra depth, and ask someone to put a dumbbell or plate between your shoulder blades for weight.

Allen Yeh
08-03-2008, 10:33 AM
With only one exercise per day, I think 5x5 would be ok. I'm not sure how much else you will be doing on your sessions.

Brandon Enos
08-03-2008, 11:18 AM
My sessions are going to be pretty quick and simple. Lifting on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Option A is going to rotate between a squat variation or a DL variation, so basically only one lower body lift a day, then everyday is going to have a different upper body push and pull and an ab exercise. Ill probably swim a few laps after that since Ill already be at the gym.

Option B will have both a squat and DL variation every day, so two lower body movements daily, and the rest will be the same as option A. Then Tue, Thur, and Sat will be running days, alternating between sprint and distance sessions.