PDA

View Full Version : Drugs Offer Promise of Fitness Without Effort

Allen Yeh
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/science/01muscle.html?ref=science

I read this with one thought in my head.

"Why?"

Camille Lore
07-31-2008, 12:54 PM
It's a Brave New World.
And I'm scared.

Patrick Donnelly
07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
When haven't there been drugs offering fitness without effort?

Four years ago he found that PPAR-delta played a different role in muscle. Muscle fibers exist in two main forms. Type 1 fibers have copious numbers of mitochondria, the organelles that generate the cell’s energy, and are therefore resistant to fatigue. Type 2 fibers have fewer mitochondria and tire easily. Athletes have lots of Type 1 fibers, and people with obesity and diabetes have far fewer Type 1 and more Type 2 fibers.

Am I reading this right?

These mice grew more Type 1 fibers and could run twice as far as on a treadmill as ordinary mice before collapsing.

That's "fitness?" Let me see a rat that can deadlift twice its bodyweight and do a dozen muscle-ups, then I'll call it fit.

Mike ODonnell
07-31-2008, 02:05 PM
There's always a catch 22.....get stronger...oh and in the small small print... have liver failure at 40.....people always looking for a pill to replace hard work and effort...the body is smarter than whatever scientists can try and trick it to do....

Ari Kestler
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
how is this any different than current steroid use?

Kevin Perry
07-31-2008, 05:26 PM

Am I reading this right?

That's "fitness?" Let me see a rat that can deadlift twice its bodyweight and do a dozen muscle-ups, then I'll call it fit.

I want to know how they came to a conclusion that athletes have more type 1 than type 2 fibers.

Steven Low
07-31-2008, 05:38 PM

Am I reading this right?

I want to know how they came to a conclusion that athletes have more type 1 than type 2 fibers.

It's true that power athletes tend to have.. higher propensity for insulin resistance than endurance athletes.

Their overall explanation there was kinda poor though by grouping athletes in general.

P.S. Can't read the damn article because it says to log in. Anyone wanna copy and paste (most) if it here? (p.s. is that even allowed Greg?)

Derek Maffett
07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
before collapsing.

And where's the SPCA on this? Heh.

Allen Yeh
08-01-2008, 04:10 AM
P.S. Can't read the damn article because it says to log in. Anyone wanna copy and paste (most) if it here? (p.s. is that even allowed Greg?)

Use www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com)

Frank Needham
08-01-2008, 06:00 AM
There's always a catch 22.....get stronger...oh and in the small small print... have liver failure at 40.....people always looking for a pill to replace hard work and effort...the body is smarter than whatever scientists can try and trick it to do....

Quite often it crosses my mind that years in the future the period we live in may be looked back on with the same attitude that we do on times before us. They'll be saying "wasn't that quaint that they believed all that", or at least I hope so. If not, the planet is gonna be in so much more of a mess than it is right now.

Paul McKirdy
08-01-2008, 07:05 AM
thought determines reality.

most athletically inclined folks are damned determined.

i know that 0-60 yards toting a wheelbarrow with 300+ pounds in it is damn easy. but at 120 yards on it starts to take what I can only imagine is equivalent to the concentration of a Zen Buddhist Master to keep the brain from sending an involuntary "LET GO RIGHT )(*#)(*@()*#)(*@ NOW!" signal. i know that the more i do it the farther and more weight i will be able to carry without even having to expend will for anything more than putting one foot in front of the other.

thought determines reality. the mind controls the body and even reprograms DNA inside of a lifespan of executed will. physics always wins.

any pill or substance is merely a pseudo belief releaser. once we meditate enough to reprogram DNA to produce carbon nano-tube cell walls that can even produce energy via photosynthesis for our cells it's going to be an interesting day. but hey, if the placebo of a pill gets someone working its all good, I'll stick with training my will and executing its course. it's been producing interesting results in the past few months.

training simply wakes us up to the fact that water really is incompressible. and as far as animals go, forget rats, I want to be as strong as a squirrel. anything that can run up and down a tree by claws and can leap from what I have seen almost ten times its body length is pretty impressive.