PDA

View Full Version : What is the least evil non-paleo carbohydrate source?

Neill Smith
08-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Here's some background: I've always had trouble putting on mass on low carbs even with fairly high calorie intake. I think large amounts of fruit are undesirable. Sweet potatoes are great, but I could use some variety. Also, my girlfriend is trying paleo for the first time. It's tough for her, and I think she has a better chance of sticking if there's some compromise.

So, which non-paleo carbohydrate source is the least evil? Oats? Brown rice? Sprouted grains? Something else? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike ODonnell
08-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Rice probably. Or anything "non-wheat" if you are getting "wraps" or something like that out.

Gant Grimes
08-01-2008, 07:50 AM
I like ice cream and brownies.

Dave Van Skike
08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
is this a moral question? if not Gant's suggestion is the way to go. otherwise huge bowl of rice with half and half and honey on it before bed.

John Alston
08-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Rice with coconut milk is a great one. Will try the half and half maybe.

Though really, I love H&H for protein shakes. Yum.

Garrett Smith
08-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Whatever carb you choose, if you're trying to put on mass, combine it with high fat (as you notice, that's in all of the recommendation so far).

Fenthis Glusos
08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
what is the reason for suggesting rice? Isn't rice even worse for blood sugar levels than bread/pasta?

Mike ODonnell
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
what is the reason for suggesting rice? Isn't rice even worse for blood sugar levels than bread/pasta?

Um, no. This is also assuming one eats a meal of combined marconutrients...as the whole insulin response is based on the total load, not just one part of it (think Zone). Could also get into portion control, meal timing, level of activity, etc...etc...etc. Loads of variables.

If you are trying to put on mass....eat, eat, eat.

Neill Smith
08-01-2008, 10:14 AM
is this a moral question?

No, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. "Evil" means least detrimental in terms of insulin response, inflammation, performance and other issues common to non-paleo foods.

Gant's suggestion is definitely the most fun.

Kevin Perry
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Go with Gants suggestion,

Ice Cream and Brownies... I prefer Ben and Jerry's or marble slab.

Gant Grimes
08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
No, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. "Evil" means least detrimental in terms of insulin response, inflammation, performance and other issues common to non-paleo foods.

Gant's suggestion is definitely the most fun.

If you're this concerned about it, you're going to have as many problems with cortisol as you will insulin. Eat a bowl of rice with a pound of stir-fried meat and enjoy the occasional desert.

Steve Liberati
08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
The best processed paleo food that triumphs most non-paleo in taste is the Vegetable Root Chips (TJ's version of Terra chips). They're scary good and don't last very long around the house when I buy a bag which is why I buy them on occasion only.

Darryl Shaw
08-02-2008, 04:16 AM
It could be argued that all grains are legitimate paleo foods as long as they're only eaten occasionally but the least evil options would have to be wild rice, millet and buckwheat which is my favourite because it isn't a grain.