PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Medium by Dan John

Allen Yeh
08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
http://www.t-nation.com/article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/i_hate_medium

New article. Good stuff.

Scott Borre
08-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Dan doesn't always write things in the clearest way possible, but he's a very smart guy, very funny, and one can stand to learn a lot from him. His forum is becoming a great place to learn.

Steven Low
08-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it was convoluted in the middle a bit.. couldn't tell what he was getting at. But some good stories and advice in there. Good stuff.

Paul McKirdy
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Interesting stuff. Especially on actually backing off once in awhile :).

Derek Simonds
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Liked it. I am really committed to the off days concept currently. I plan on staying that way.

Allen Yeh
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Dan doesn't always write things in the clearest way possible, but he's a very smart guy, very funny, and one can stand to learn a lot from him. His forum is becoming a great place to learn.

I didn't even know he had a forum. I just registered. Thanks.

Anton Emery
08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Where is his forum located?

Anton

Dave Van Skike
08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/73/keyword/Dan+John/

Jacob Rowell
08-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I liked his message about respecting rest days and actually resting.

I was a bit confused on what "medium" to him is. Towards the beginning, it seems to be attempting to achieve too many goals at one time and not achieving much of anything. Later, it's more like medium sets, medium reps, medium weight/intensity. Different things there.

Scott Borre
08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Dan seems to have a few thoughts on medium. I think one key thought is that when one does something, one should do it as excellently as possible. So don't try to do a million things at once doing all with mediocrity. Specialize at times to the point possible. Its like, trying to do GPP + SPP at once, along with fat loss, and training technique; is too much.

Another key is that lifting at medium weight probably isn't best. While long term medium might be allow one to sustain the workout, the best gains might instead be had by going at a high level, but going at a low level as well. When you start to go sorta-high, and sorta-low your gains won't be as great.