PDA

View Full Version : Long Road Bike Ride

Steve Forman
08-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Tomorrow I will go a long road bike ride. My first in at least 6 months. We are doing about 40 miles.

so now Im torn op a little (mentally) about how to eat. Ive been zoning/paleo for the whole time with IF. should eat for this ride the night before, or get up early and have a breakfast that has more carbs than normal.

I also heard about some amino's and vit C that can limit the muscle loss! that true.

thanks

steve

Jay Cohen
08-09-2008, 02:50 AM
Depends on your pace. 40 is not that long, figure 15-17 mph, you'll be on the bike no more then 2.5 hours. Since it's your first ride, pace should not be killer. Eat a normal breakfast, take a piece of fruit, maybe few nuts, you're good to go.
Reload when you get home. Drink some water.

Darryl Shaw
08-09-2008, 04:47 AM
As Jay said 40 miles isn't that far so as long as your glycogen stores are topped up before you set off and you eat a banana or two along the way you don't need to worry about gluconeogenesis.

Steven Low
08-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Don't worry about muscle loss. Worrying is gong to make you lose more muscle mass than a bike ride.

Unless you're riding your bike everyday for multiple hours...

Steve Forman
08-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Cross posted: I appreciate all the advice!

This is some great advice. thanks everyone!!! So it sounds as no one really does anything before the ride to prepare. Maybe a slight extra carb load.

So i am Back. Worried for nothing. I seem to remember 40 miles being harder than that. Go!!!! Crossfit!!!! I did great, felt great the whole ride. 40 miles, 2hrs 21 mins.

Pre ride, 1 hour before. I ate about a 2 block meal and added extra; 1/2 a mango and 1/2 a trotilla.

During the ride: I am not a fan of Gatorade. so I brought 1/2 banana (didnt eat it) water and one small bottle of Powerbar, endurance drink. I used that about half way thru. I never did hit a wall and felt i could climb some more. I have to say today was the best I ever felt on a ride.

Post ride, 45 minutes after. i ate another 2 block mean and added some extra carbs again.

I must say post ride i am still feeling a little sluggish, not sure If I am replishing enough, I have downed all the water and have eaten again 3.5 hours later.

So what do you think. Was that Okay or should I change something.

Jay Cohen
08-10-2008, 03:36 AM
Steve;

Chill out dude, your ride went well, you eat/drink good stuff. Feeling sluggish??, how about "you're tired" and not really in shape for regular medium distance rides.

Rest up today, maybe go for a very slow, light 5 miles, spin in some high gears, take a rest day tomorrow, hit it hard Tuesday.

Your call.