PDA

View Full Version : Low Fat Diet Helps Prevent Breast Cancer

Scott Kustes
12-19-2006, 05:55 AM
Low Fat Diet Helps Prevent Breast Cancer (http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/SABCSMeeting/dh/4717)

Anyone want to take a crack at this? Why does low-fat help prevent breast cancer, especially the hormone-receptor-negative kind?

Mike ODonnell
12-19-2006, 06:00 AM
I don't know how research can still produce these broad and unscientific statements. So what kind of fats were the diets? Monounsat? Polyunsat? Omeg3? Omeg6? Sat fat? Sat fat from commerical grain fed meats? Sat fat from dairy? too many variables as usual.

If you left it up to the general public to eat less fat, most of theirs is the wrong kind anyways!

I'd guess to say that if the control group ate all fat from non-inflammatory and toxic source then they might have actually seen an improvement. If you increase inflammation and toxic load with the wrong fats, that just makes all things worse in the body.

Eva Claire Synkowski
12-19-2006, 07:39 AM
i think the no sig difference between overall diet vs control groups, pretty much means the low fat diet isnt the final answer. seems likely to be more of a hormonal issue, since sig diffences only found when broke apart by hormone pos/neg groups.

and i agree with mike about food sources. so for the hormone receptor neg - what about a possible decrease in sugar intake that corresponded with fat intake? i.e. fruits/veggies instead of donuts?

Robb Wolf
12-19-2006, 09:07 AM
The findings are barely significant (their words). All of the data is collected from food logs (notoriously inaccurate...greater variability here than that reported as being "slightly significant"?)

What about metabolic control analysis? Intermittnet fasting? ketogenic diet? The results are slightly significant yet huge public health policy is recomended from these findings? Absurd.

Jeremy Jones
12-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Wasn't there a study recently that said that many overweight people highly underestimate their food intake? I believe it they were off an average of 50% of total daily caloric intake.

That is the problem with un-controlled food logs.

I wish this study had more information. What a waste of time, and possibly very misleading to the un-initiated.