PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Garage Experiment

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Arien Malec
04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
So..... depleting glycogen really sucks when you do it right. Metcons aren't that bad as going through a 24 set, 12-25 rep/set workout in a 100 degree garage on back to back days.

I did the same workout yesterday as today and it sucks.

You are supposed to do a split (lower body on Monday, upper body on Tuesday). That helps the suck somewhat. Still sucks. Closest I've come to puking during a workout.

Derek Weaver
04-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Book still has two fully body workouts. A lot of people on Lyle's forum do a split.

I'm considering just doing an epic full body depletion to get it over with on Monday.

Yesterday was pure hell since I was already pretty depleted from Monday's workout.

I've never puked during a WOD, CF or not (after 15 rounds of sparring or so I've puked pretty massively though) and this was def. the closest I've been.

Arien Malec
04-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Book still has two fully body workouts. A lot of people on Lyle's forum do a split.

Just re-read the relevant section of UD2.0. He provides a couple of options and I wussed out and selected the split option, just because it sucked less. I also noted that as badly as it sucked, I was supposed to do the workout twice through each time, which really sucks. Next time, I'll do it the right way.

Derek Weaver
04-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I realized that my carb load, even at the low end didn't seem to do much of what it was supposed to. It took my until last night to finally ditch the bloat.

I figure this time, now that I'm really depleted I should reap the benefits a bit more. Less sugar, more starch.

I think it's a testament to how well Lyle put things together that people tend to screw things up the first run or two through, then BAM... off and running with an average of 1-1.5 lbs fat loss per week. Metabolic slowdown doesn't seem to be the issue either. More about overtraining from depletion and power (tension is a non issue for me. I seem to do well with the workout from my "bodybuilding days").

What's odd is that as meager as I feel physically, I feel very good psychologically. I can go in and out of ketosis without noticing anything. And judging by my breath and smell of my pee I am most definitely in ketosis. That part kinda sucks.

Allen Yeh
05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Just seeing if everything is alright?

Derek Weaver
05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, busy lately. Things are going well thanks. I actually meant to come on and update this thing. I've been lurking on the forum more than posting lately.

I enjoy UD2.0 a lot. Depletion workouts suck. It's like doing Chippers on back to back days, but worth it.

The only workouts worth logging are the "power" workouts (read: I just hit Squat, Bench and Rows for 5x5).

From my now very sedentary job I do a lot of sitting and am developing some nasty hamstring deficiencies. Back in October/November I'd worked to a 315x3x5 Low Bar Backsquat. I started front squatting and high bar backsquatting a lot and now I can't seem to initiate that same hip drive required in a LB squat.

I'm actually looking at putting together some sort of a power rack in my garage for safety. Stall bars and squat stands wont' do much if I lose it forward.

I'm going to stick with UD2.0 for another week (that'll make 4 weeks) then move into something else. At my job there's a competition through i think June: teams of 4, trying to accumulate enough mileage per pedometer readings to walk to Hawaii. I figure I'll add a few tempo runs/week to cover a lot of ground along with a lot more NEPA.

That, plus whatever I'll be doing for strength would be too much. I'm almost to where I want to be in terms of fat loss anyway.

I've been thinking about making a go at a TSC for a while... maybe I'll use the opportunity to condition with tempo runs and keep strength very basic. 2-3 Tempo runs, 2-3 strength days, 2-3 KB days. Very Hybrid Training/AGT'ish.

I'm getting ahead of myself though.

Derek Weaver
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
5/7/09 Thursday
Hit my pre carb load "Tension" workout today. More bodybuilding style training today. It sucked. I've been exhausted from underfeeding, stress, lack of sleep and a whole lot of moving around (on the order of close to 6 miles/day) for this idiotic competition I'm in at work.

I was planning on joining Allen and Derek with Wendler's 5/3/1..... but I realized today that I'd be setting myself up for serious failure.

I've decided that there are a few things that would make it a bad choice.
1) I've got some structural stuff going on that I need to fix. I've got a wicked anterior pelvic tilt going on and general lack of strength through the midsection on both sides of my body. As well, I'm losing mobility in my upper back and my shoulders are tightening.

Desk jobs are a bitch.

2) I've got to cover so much ground for this competition that heavy lifting 3-4 days/week is going to lead down a road to nowhere.

3) I need flexibilty in my schedule for a little bit. I am thinking about going out on an adventure in the next couple of weeks. I am having my midlife crisis at the ripe old age of 25 and need to do something awesome. I've got a couple of ideas, but who knows if I'll be able to pull it off. Kind of like that book about the kid who left everything to go north into the forrest called Into The Wild by John Krakauer, but not as extreme.

That brings me to what I will be doing: A foray into bodyweight training. I think I'd mentioned it before, but until the end of June I'm going to do my best to adhere to a bodyweight oriented approach.

I will still hit a day/week with the weight vest on (it goes up to 60 lbs.) to ensure that I still get that meathead fix of moving some weight, even if it's my own plus a little bit extra.

Not sure what the other couple of days will be.

Regardless, I figure it'll be more like an insurance policy. I'll work on some stuff that needs addressing (flexibility, mobility< "core" strength), allow myself a bit of freedom while still pursuing a goal or two, and hopefully keep from burning out.

Wendler's 5/3/1 can wait until early July. I'm gonna be ready to hit it full force and should be ready to grow like a weed at that point.

Derek Weaver
05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
5/11/09 Monday
30 Minutes of running. Intermittent sprints/walks/jogs. Just wanted to keep moving and cover ground.
With a 60 lb. Vest:
Pull ups x5
Ring Push ups x5
x3
Bodyweight only
L-Pull ups x7
Dive Bombers x10
x3

Did a couple of assisted pistols.

I had some dental work done last week, and they used some new supersonic scraper for the cleaning. Long story short, I've got a swollen side of my face and a fair amount of pain.

The office isn't open on Mondays so I had to go to my normal MD who didn't see anything major, and since I'm actually scheduled to go back in on Wednesday didn't want to really do anything. So, I missed a day of pay at work, am out my co-pay for my MD and have to work tomorrow and really can't afford to take another day or even half day off. And I'm still in pain and a bit puffy.

I've been officially cranky as all hell today.

Derek Simonds
05-12-2009, 07:15 AM
That is a major load of suckage. You definitely need to go back to the dentist unfortunately. If there is an infection in your mouth that can travel to other parts of your body fast. Hopefully it is nothing but irritation.

Derek Weaver
05-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I'm headed back in tomorrow for a couple of fillings. I have a feeling it's some serious irritation as it's still puffy, but not swollen and constantly achy.

Still hurts most of the time, but it was affecting me all around the last couple of days.

5/12/09 Tuesday
Lots of mobility and flexibilty stuff. Foam rolling for about 20 minutes. Maxwell Daily Dozen, lots of stretching for hips and hammies. Got everything stretched, but I've been really focusing on the hips and hammies to at least offset all the sitting at work.

Run, intervals intermittently for 20-45 seconds every 2-3 minutes for 20 minutes.

Still trying to set a few goals with this bodyweight stuff.

I really have no idea where to start.

Chris H Laing
05-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Planche, front lever, free standing HSPU?

Do you have Sommer's book and are you a member of his forum? Lots of good gymnastic stuff there. They even have a WOD that you could follow if you dont wanna program your own stuff.

Derek Weaver
05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I follow the forum from time to time. Not really interested in the book to be honest.

I was thinking that one legged front lever, straddle planche and 10 pistols per leg would be good initial goals.

Steven Low
05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Chris Salvato wrote up an article on "goals with high translation to Parkour."

Although you probably don't do Parkour, it's still a fairly good list with lots of bodyweight stuff on it that you can potentially put into your routine. Take a look:

http://csalvato.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/fitness-goals-with-high-translation-to-parkour-and-life/

Derek Weaver
05-17-2009, 09:01 PM
5/17/09 Sunday
Treadmill 30 minutes, jog at an easy pace just over 2 miles in the VFFs.

Went 3x5 minutes on the bag. Been nagging at me for a while to get back fighting. I dropped it all pretty suddenly a little over a year ago while I was looking for a job (paying to train while you're unemployed isn't a winning proposition). I'm considering lacing the gloves up and trying to get back in the ring in the next ~6 months.

I've gone from Oly to PL and back to fighting over the last year searching for something to compete in. I think I've written about it in this log too.

For a little while I'm just going to workout on my own and see how I feel. Whether or not I can get the training volume necessary to not suck.

Did some more bodyweight stuff on Friday. Front lever work (tuck holds x6x12 seconds) weighted ring dips up to 75x3x3. Pistols 15/leg in sets of 5 (assisted)

Derek Weaver
05-18-2009, 11:49 PM
5/18/09 Monday
I already missed the iron.
A1) Hang Power Clean x5sets x4 (110, 120, 135, 135-felt a pull on my left arm, kept kinda light. This proved to be a good idea)
A2) Box Jump x4sets x10

B1) Front Squat x4 sets x 6 (135, 155, 165, 165- Wow, light, but smoked already from the HPCs and Box Jumps)
B2) Squat Jumps x4 sets x 10

C1) Flat Bench x4 sets x8 (140 all the way through)
C2) Plyo Push ups x4 sets x10

D1) Push Press (nada)

Ab wheel 3x15
Side Plank 3x30 seconds per side

Working a Push-Pull (ABA) set up trying to get some pop back. Going to try and get back into the ring eventually.

This was hard. No 5/3/1 for me for a while. I'm not sure where the complexing will go. Good fun though.

I hope I can add a bit more weight to the bar though. All of these weights were very conservative, or so I thought. Max bench from about 3 years ago was somewhere in the 265 lb range (serious, I would do sets of 3-4 245-250), which it isn't close to now. Max front squat from a couple months ago I think was something like 230/240, I'll have to dig to find it.

I figure part is that I didn't sleep well (ha) and hadn't done anything intense like this in a while.

I figure I'd like to hover around 160-165 while I continue to get in shape, find a gym and figure out whether or not I'll be able to get in the ring and at what weight.

Arien Malec
05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
How did your run with UD2.0 go? Never got a final report.

Derek Simonds
05-26-2009, 11:05 AM
You know thinking about it you are all over the place in what to compete in... :D

It is also tough when you have several things you enjoy. My sister took 5th place overall in a huge triathlon Mothers day weekend and I have been jonesing to compete in a sprint now. In fact she was begging me to race on Sunday and I had said no way. I also have several BJJ tournaments coming up that I have to either commit to or scratch off the calendar and well its summer and I really plan on spending more time with the kids at the lake and the beach this year. So with all that I totally understand where you are coming from.

Derek Weaver
05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Arien,
UD2.0 went pretty good. I didn't do a very good job of staying at maintenance in the 3 weeks I've been "eating normally", but I made a ton of progresson the diet.

I'll definitely do it again. I noticed that I really tapped out a bit in the 4th week. The diet was easier, but I started to feel it in the gym. I need an actual meal plan for the week.

Derek,
Too many interests. I found myself going back and shadow boxing and watching old recorded fights more than dreaming of a 500 lb DL (which would still be awesome) or a big C&J (eh, I like the power versions of the lifts, but not enough to want to compete).

I've since been running, complexing my workouts Push-Pull 3x/week and working a 100 lb. heavy bag I hung (place by my house had a huge sale and I got it for what a 40 lb. bag would normally run). Timing is slowly coming back, but the bag doesn't hit back.

Some things may be changing at work hopefully soon, and I'm going on an adventure to Canada the week after next for a week. Hopefully when I get back I'll have more of an idea what I can work out and start actually training again.

Derek Simonds
05-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Very cool. I think the most important thing is to be happy doing whatever it is you do. Have a great time on your Canadian adventure!

Kevin Perry
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Yes enjoy Canada!

Derek Weaver
05-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. Canada should be fun. A couple of college buddies of mine who are far crazier than I am are going with me. We're staying in a hostel with a restaurant and a bar in it. Should be like college but foreign (as foreign as Canada can be I guess).

It's going to be a lot of fun I think.

Fighting: shins are worked over from the bag. Going to take a while to break that thing in. Been looking for a school. Hopefully by the mid-summer I can find a gym with a good schedule and good structure so I can actually get back into it.

In the meantime, just like above, running, skipping rope and going rounds on the bag.

10x3 minutes last night focusing on working the jab, then 1-2's, elbows, kicks, and inside punching for the first 5 rounds,then working all together with an emphasis on jabbing out after combinations. No clinch work.

Derek Weaver
06-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I misplaced my workout log so I'll have to go back and enter in a bout 6 workouts I think.

Last night:
6/1/09 Monday (Full Body, Short rest-90 seconds/set, No Complexing)
Front Squat 4x4-6 (185 across) I've been doing these with a dead stop at the bottom. Changes the movement quite a bit. Reduces the usable weight quite a bit.

RDL 4x4-6 (135, 185-brain fart, why I put 50 lbs on the bar after the first set? No clue; 205, 205) Reps of 6, 6, 5, 5.

Weight Chins (35, 45, 53, 63) 6, 6, 6, 5.

Low Incline Bench Press (135, 155, 175, 180) 6, 6, 6, 5.

Is it a good thing when your low incline bench stops a rep or two of failure 5 lbs less than a squat? Jury's out. I'd say no, but the deadstop squats change things a bit. Still probably not good.

5x3 minute rounds on the bag. Concentrating on the jab and front kick though everything was worked. Working on the hook quite a bit as well. Working hip mobility and flexibility. Hands and wrists are feeling better.

Conditioning of some sort later today after I get some stuff squared away for my trip, which starts next Tuesday. Gotta work everyday but Sunday until then and I'd prefer to have my pack and currency set up and ready before then.

Derek Weaver
06-03-2009, 09:46 PM
6/2 Tuesday
20 minute row with intermittent intervals. Forgot to write down total distance, but my erg. is a bit off so it's really based more on effort. I'd put total fatigue around a 6.
Followed with 5 rounds shadow boxing, mainly for footwork and to keep the blood moving.

6/3 Wednesday
Still a bit sore from Monday. Did the following circuit 5 rounds thru:
1 Legged Squat to bench. (Like a box squat, but one leg.) Holding 35 lb kb to chest.
Body Row feet same height as hands from 24" box
Ring Dip

Went for 8-12 reps/exercise. Stuck @ 8 reps thru squats as stability was an issue, got varying reps thru dips and rows.

5 Rounds on the Heavy Bag. Still working range, snapping jab. Mid kicks were working. Body is getting conditioned to giving impact. Gotta find a school/gym where I can get conditioned to taking impact. It's hard to find a good gym around here...
I'll get a blowout Friday night.

Derek Weaver
06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
6/4/09 Wednesday
5x3 minute rounds working primarily kicks.

2xmax HLR (16, 12)

15 minutes mobility and flexibility work in morning and evening.

Derek Weaver
06-06-2009, 12:30 AM
6/5/09 Friday
Fatigue management is the name of the game the last two workouts including this one.
A1) Bulgarian Split Squat 65 lbs x5
A2) Suitcase Deadlift 95 lbs x5
Repeat 4 times- 1 minute rest between supersets
Never done either exercises. I definitely was a little tired even with so little weight. I'm trying to get a feel for lower body unilateral training. A huge low bar backsquat isn't going to help me be a better martial artist, but single limb training will. Bigger weights are always good, but I want better lifts, with an explosive tempo when appropriate for the movement.

B1) Weighted Chins 53 lbs x5
B2) Bench Press 175 lbs x5
Repeat 4 times- 1 minute rest between supersets

5x3 minutes on the bag. Hands and wrists getting better each time through. "Body flow" is getting better (as in, I snap a punch starting from the ground and it actually snaps through my shoulder and into the target), but it won't continue without instruction. Just getting motor patterns back while trying to avoid bad habits (which I'm sure I'm ingraining a ton no matter how hard I try).

Derek Weaver
06-07-2009, 08:49 PM
6/7/09 Sunday
AM: Packing, running errands for my Canadian adventure that starts tomorrow night with a night on the town, then a long day of travel Tuesday morning.

PM: 7x3 minute rounds. Working more round kicks. Bag is getting broken in and shins are also adjusting. Hands feel good.

I'll blow it out tomorrow as I'm taking the second half of the day off, then I'll be away for a while.

Also, I've been messing around with more Eat Stop Eat style fasting and noticed that around hour 20 in my fasts I get really cold hands, but it only happened in fast #1 and #3 (I've done 3 in the last 12 days or so, 2 last week, 1 the week before). Anyone know why that happens?

I'm going to employ the same approach while I'm away as I tend to feel better gut wise and also want more flexibility. Hunger will be my guide and choices will be good, but still fun. It is an adventure after all.

Derek Weaver
06-15-2009, 08:49 PM
6/15/09 Monday
18 hour trip home from Vancouver. Missed 2 flights in one day (first one was our fault, delay caused us to miss the connection on the second on).

Canada is great. Vancouver is amazing and the area around it is out of this world. I want to go back. Travellers like travellers and I made a ton of good friends in a short time. Lots of contacts around the world to keep in touch with and bum a place to stay from, and offer a place to in turn.

I walked, hiked and climbed for anywhere between 8-12 hours every day, ate whatever I wanted (so much for Eat Stop Eat or any other IF scheme), drank like a fish and got as much as I could out of a week long trip. I wish we had more time up there. I saw the sun rise 4 days in a row... amazing sight against the surrounding mountains.

Today:
Went for 2, 10 minute sets on the bag just working it out, getting a good sweat going.

3 supersets of: 155 lb bench with a 4 second down tempo, 1 second pause, explode up as fast as possible
+
Pull ups, same tempo.
10 reps each. Just wanted to move the blood around.

Arien Malec
06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Seems like a great trip, despite the long process to get back home. I like Vancouver a great deal -- it is a good mix of a cosmopolitan international Pacific rim city and close proximity to incredible outdoor stuff.

Derek Simonds
06-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Sound like a blast, let's see ate too much, check, drank too much, check, enjoyed some awesome outdoor activity, check. You really can't ask for much more on a great vacation.

Derek Weaver
06-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Arien,
Vancouver is pretty much the only big city I've been to that I thought I could live there for the long haul. It may be a bit of infatuation, but I'm thinking of heading back soon to get a better idea. Not sure I can really live the Bay Area though.

Derek,
Yes, eating, drinking, getting outdoors AND meeting a bunch of really awesome people from all over the globe makes an adventure that was worth every penny.

6/16/09 Tuesday
Worked kicks mainly on the bag trying to get my shins in shape. Hands a little sore from yesterday.

A few KB drills, 1 min R/L C&J for 6 minutes @ 35 lbs.
50 1-arm swings @ 35 lbs.

Derek Weaver
06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Haven't posted in a while. Been working on a few things. First is organizing training.

I think I'm actually looking into a Wing Chun school that's a ways away from where I live (but has good hours, is cheap and would allow me to learn some trapping techinques I've been really interested in), or heading to a school working JKD and/or Progressive Fighting Systems. Getting in a ring may not happen.

After this week where work is odd I'm going to head to the JKD, PFS school and check it out. Then I'll check out the Wing Chun school.

Anyone from the Bay Area with some good JKD, PFS or Wing Chun knowledge, send it my way.

I'm going to avoid Krav Maga and Muay Thai. I want to go into something more speed oriented.

As for S&C, I've been drawing from the PMenu article on S&C for BJJ (I think Anton Emery wrote that one...). A 3 exercise ME-ish day on Monday, KB finisher. Wednesday a density training push, pull, legs with the weighted vest. Friday some sort of Metcon if I feel like it along with other drills and workouts throughout the week. Strategic rest days usually on Thursdays, always on Sundays.

Derek Simonds
06-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Wing Chun has always interested me. Not sure if I am naturally fast enough for it.

Derek Weaver
06-29-2009, 06:28 PM
The trapping is what intrigues me. We've all got our genetic limits on speed, but like with anything we get faster as we get better.

If I do head into Wing Chun I don't know how long it would be. JKD and/or PFS is what I think I'd prefer to head into. JKD being more concept oriented of course...

Craig Brown
06-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Derek- I'd look for anyone who hosts Inosanto when he is in town. When money frees up I will likely head to the Seattle affiliate of the Minnesota Kali Group.

Derek Weaver
06-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check Inosanto's site to see where he heads when he comes up this way.

I wasn't even thinking that. It's not surprising that there aren't a lot of school listings and websites.

Arien Malec
06-30-2009, 07:05 PM
What do you think of this:

http://www.moderncombatives.com/

Looks like fun....

Derek Weaver
06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for that linke Arien. I'd actually come across that school before.

For now I'm looking more into street defense and I don't care for the Krav Maga school in my area. I have a few adventures possibly in the works for later this year and wouldn't mind brushing up on some real world situations as well as adding a few new tools.

Derek Weaver
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Haven't done a good job of keeping any sort of a training log.

I'll start over from yesterday:
Monday 7/6/09
Strength:
Front Squat 3x3 @ 195 lbs (room for improvement. I couldn't use the regular rack position and had a hard time keeping the bar from rolling away from me off my shoulders. I'm good for more weight. Definitely not close to a PR for me here.)

Incline Bench Press @175 lbs + Weighted Chins @ 73 lbs-30 Sec. rest between exercises. 2 mintes between super sets
(felt alright. Went supersets to save time. Had a lot of crap at work and put in a bit of overtime. Didn't want to spend an hour under the bar yesterday)

Notes:
- Strength is down from where I was at the first of the year. I haven't deadlifted anything significantly heavy from when I took a run through the MEBB and lost lordosis. Been working on activating the glutes more (don't laugh) and loosening the hips to help remedy the situation in regards to the lack of deadlifting. Hope to pull heavy again soon, and safely.
- I feel like even though brute strength is down, well rounded fitness is solid. Incorporation of KB finishers and metabolic conditioning is good. Should have kept it up.
- Working a lot on footwork and pads aside from strength. More skill, less sport of fitness.

Tuesday 7/7/09
Found a school, but it's 40 minutes from my house so I'll be working in spurts down there with private lessons. Free class today, 3 day camp in August, private lessons 2-3x/month.
Hour 1: JKD intro class. Hook kick plus punching combos, basic trapping, energy drills.
Hour 2: Filipino Kali intro class. Learn basic strikes and deflections. Ended with energy drills.

Notes:
- I wish the class was a bit closer, but there's the off chance I could end up down there for a living situation and could train full time. Until then I'll keep private classes up as much as possible to get the most out of the training time I do have.
- Kali is a very effective system at the highest levels. Cool stuff.
- JKD is a series of methods and concepts that is about as functional as it gets. Pair these ideas with the tactics used in Krav Maga for certain knife situations, mass attack and gun defense that can be improved on through Kali knowledge and you've got an animal of a fighter.

Derek Weaver
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
7/8/09 Wednesday
Unplanned full rest day. ~20 minutes of stretching in the evening and a short walk at lunch.

Holy hell I'm sore from yesterday. It'd been a while since I put in that long on the mats at that level of intensity. Ouch.

Derek Simonds
07-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Amazing how different mat time is compared to the gym. Looks like you found a great school.

Derek Weaver
07-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Very different indeed. I considered another rest day today but decided to warm up and see how I felt. Felt good so I worked out.

From New Jersey Crossfit:
ARAP in 20 minutes (original called for 25 minutes) 35 lb KB. Started with 1.5 pood and knew I wouldn't get very far. Would have been better with a 44lb bell.
KB Swing x 5r/5l
Push ups (ring) x 10
KB Clean x 5r/5l
KB Push Press x 5r/5l
KB Row x 5r/5l
KTE (instead of v-ups) x 10
=
8 rounds + KBS, push ups, Cleans R.. finished ending of 9th round

Stretching and foam rolling at night.

Derek Weaver
07-12-2009, 07:47 PM
7/12/09 Sunday
Not much the last couple days. Worked some drills Friday on the left lead from southpaw stance. Worked different combos based from that punch. Not much in the way of other conditioning.

Legs felt awful yesterday (sluggish) so I rested, ate a good dinner and then woke up at the butt crack of dawn today to give my Dad a ride to the airport. On about 4 hours sleep I worked in the yard for a couple hours turning over soil, prepping the yard to hopefully rip it up and lay new sod. Got a good amount of sun.

Oh yeah, and I got some new gear for my next adventure(s). I think I'm hitting half dome at the end of the month for my birthday. I need to hit a milestone for each birthday until I die. Got some new hiking shoes with a sweet Vibram sole, a new water set up and scoped some other stuff I'm hoping goes on sale soon.

I've got another adventure planned in the next month, but I can't say what it is yet. I'm trying to line up as many adventures as I can.

You only live once.

Scott Clark
07-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh yeah, and I got some new gear for my next adventure(s). I think I'm hitting half dome at the end of the month for my birthday. I need to hit a milestone for each birthday until I die. Got some new hiking shoes with a sweet Vibram sole, a new water set up and scoped some other stuff I'm hoping goes on sale soon.

I've got another adventure planned in the next month, but I can't say what it is yet. I'm trying to line up as many adventures as I can.

You only live once.

I like the way you think Derek. Everyone would be much better if they set clear goals and went after them. Great log.

Kevin Perry
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
true dat

Derek Weaver
07-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I like the way you think Derek. Everyone would be much better if they set clear goals and went after them. Great log.

Thanks Scott. I realized that all I was doing in the gym was for.... just to do it I guess.

I had lost my way in my sport and didn't have any proof that I'd actually been living. Existing would be a better way to put it.

So, I started training again and planning adventure after adventure.

I really appreciate the kind words.

Derek Weaver
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
7/13/09 Monday
Went to workout and didn't feel like squatting, rowing or benching. I've been missing deadlifting though and wanted to see if I could open my hips finally. Wasn't comfortable with a conventional deadlift so:

Snatch Grip DL 5-5-5-3-3 (MEBB-ish) 185, 205, 225, 245, 265

Bulgarian Split Squat 60 lb vest 3x6-8

Pull up and Ring Dip ladder 10/10, 9/9, 8/8...1/1 not for time.

Notes:
SN GR DL's felt good. Hadn't pulled anything off the ground if it wasn't a row for probably 4-5 months. No loss of lordosis.

Getting amped for Half Dome and will likely work a couple ruck march type of treks per week until it's time to leave in a couple weeks. Just want to stay fresh with the limited time I've got.

Derek Weaver
07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
7/14/09 Tuesday
30 minutes on the heavy bag. Work Lead to hook as primary combo. Also tried to work on snapping off a kick to initiate the attack with the hands.

Then:
1.5 pood KB C & PP 5 (1,2,3)
10 minutes of 12 KBS/minute (rest for remainder of minute)

Notes:
- I was tired at the end of this.

Derek Weaver
07-16-2009, 09:07 PM
7/16/09 Thursday
Deadlift 1x5 - (265), 1x5 (235)
Press (behind the neck) 1x5 (115), 1x5 (105)

Metcon:
21-15-9 of: 1.5 pood KBS + Pull up + Ring Push up.
Time = 5.50

Due for a Relax Into Stretch session tonight.

Notes:
- Strength was intentionally minimalist today. I guess that's pretty much PTTP except that program is 5x/week if I understand right.
- I've been trying to train to live instead of live to train. Between trying and getting back into some martial arts training and all around adventure living I've been trying to accomplish certain things in the weight room but not getting all OCD. I had a hard time recovering after Monday and Tuesday, so yesterday was off and today was planned carefully.
- I may work 2-3 PTTP strength style days/week with conditioning and whatever activity I can muster. I'm not sure I need a lot of rhyme or reason, more of a purpose.
- This could all change as the weather starts to turn again in a few months.
- Deadlifts were light, but felt good. No loss of lordosis what so ever.

Derek Weaver
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
7/17/09 Friday

Similar to last week's CF New Jersey WOD:
20 Minutes ARAP w/ 1.5 pood KB:
5 1 arm swing R/L
5 Clean & Press R/L
10 Ring Push Ups
5 Row R/L
5 Toes To Bar
=
5 Rounds + Swings. This sucked but I was surprised that I was able to get as much work as I did. Big jump from 35 lbs. to 53 lbs....

Derek Weaver
07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
7/19/09 Sunday
Active rest working in the yard and then took a ~45 minute walk in my new hiking shoes to break them in ahead of Half Dome next week.

I'm going to hit it hard all week, slow it down Friday, complete rest Saturday, sleep as late as possible Sunday and hope to be set to go some ~10:00 PM Sunday night for the night hike.

Derek Weaver
07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
7/20/09 Monday
Deadlift 2x5- 260 lbs, 235 lbs.

Press 110lbs, 100 lbs

KBS 3x20 (10r/10l) thumb up
HLR 3x12

Notes:
- Trying to organize my posts a bit better. Taking a cue from Allen's log. His is easy to read. Mine is a train wreck.
- Meathead math had me going lighter this session than last on the DL's. Oh well.
- Purposely went lighter here on the presses as I can finally work from the front rack position after a long while with tendonitis like symptoms in my wrist... but only in the rack position.

I like the minimalist slow lift approach, PTTP-ish with KB's for accessory/conditioning work.

Final countdown to Half Dome baby! By 10 PM Sunday night I'll be headed through and up the mountain.

Derek Weaver
07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
7/21/09 Tuesday
Kettlebell Madness today. I got a second 35 lb. KB today as I want to work heavier swings and also double KB exercises... kind of an early B-day present to myself. I'm going to add a 44 lb KB in to the mix as well in the near future. 1 pood to 1.5 pood is a big jump for some exercises.

Workout #1
Semi KB Fran (2x 35 lb kb's instead of 95 lb. BB Thruster) = 5.44

Workout #2
30 KB Man Makers (2x 35 lb KB) with 1.30 rest between sets of 10.

Notes:
- Holy hell that KB Fran sucked. I haven't done a lot of metcon CF style in a while, but geez.
- KB Man Makers are tough. I was smoked after all this.
- I'm looking to add a couple 44 lb'ers soon and eventually get up to 2x 53 lbs.
- I need to remind myself to never forget my KB's again. I can deadlift again, although light still.
- Countdown continues to Half Dome. About four and a half days until the ascent begins!
- I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but counting this weekend I've got no less than 3 all-time worthy adventures in the works or already planned.

The world's open to you if you're willing to bust through the door I suppose.

Arien Malec
07-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Enjoy Half Dome -- that's pretty high on my list of "things I've never done but really want to some day". Hopefully my daughter will be up for it soon and I can take her.

Derek Weaver
07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. I realized we've got all this great adventure practically in our back yard out here in the Bay Area. I've only been living out here for 18 years...

You're welcome to cruise along if you can deal with two washed up frat boys and a cooler of cheap beer after 10+ hours of over night hiking!

Derek Weaver
07-22-2009, 10:51 PM
7/22/09 Wednesday
Deadlift 265x5, 235x5

Press 115x5, 95x5

KB finisher: 2x35 lb. KBS 3x12 reps 1 minute rest

Notes:
- Just jumped back to the previous weight on DL's. Felt good, can continue to progress with no back danger.
- Presses felt like crap. Went lighter and focused on the drive off the chest. Too much push pressing in the past when I was going overhead often I guess.
- KB work a lot about having fun with 2 KB's. Probably do something like low rep KB snatches tomorrow and a KB incorporated metcon.

Derek Weaver
07-23-2009, 08:43 PM
7/23/09 Thursday
KB complex to warm up

KB Snatch 3x4 @ 53 lbs.

KB Bent Presss 3x3 @ 53 lbs.

2 Arm LCCJ @ 2x35 lb KB:
67 reps.

Notes:
- Capable of more reps on Snatches, but stayed conservative. Wanted hip snap. I'll start adding more reps/sets.
- Not sure I was doing the bent press right.
- LCCJ... I suck.

Derek Simonds
07-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Really nice KB work. Have a great hike!

Derek Weaver
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks Derek. I'm enjoying what they do for work capacity, grip and "core". Wish I had never neglected them. Countdown for Half Dome is on. Leaving in about 28 hours for Yosemite and I can barely stand it.

7/24/09 Friday
Rushed for time:
Deadlift 270 x5, 235 x5
Press 110 x5, 95 x5

1.5 Pood KBS 3x20 reps 90 second rest

Notes:
- Had a lot to do this morning, and I finally have a few minutes downtime. Deadlifts felt good, kept back off weights the same for simplicity.
- Presses are going to be a bit trickier. With KB training etc. it may make going real heavy overhead on a regular basis an unrealistic plan. May have go to more Heavy-Medium-Light or something like that.
- KB Swings. Getting lighter. More hip snap.
- No lower back problems. Pavel's queue to, I believe I am paraphrasing, try and squeeze a quarter with your glutes is a good one. Funny, but good.
- Lots of hip flexor work to keep things loose and allow the hips to open combined with swings and deadlifting often have been good so far. I hope I can progress for a while.

Derek Weaver
07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
7/28/09 Tuesday
Started the hike to Half Dome at 11:00 PM on the dot from the Trailhead parking lot, about a half mile or so from Happy Isles, making it ~ 8.7 miles up, same distance back for 17.4 miles round trip if I am doing my math right.

Actually failed to see the summit of Half Dome as I took some injuries. Both knees started to go, ankles were tweaked as well as standard fatigue. I figured the fitness I gained from Vancouver, BC as well as some other stuff I was doing that I left out of my log would carry me through.

I took a few spills in the middle of the night that started the injury run and I was just done by the time I got up there. I was about 300 feet from the top, turned and decided in the interest of safety I had to pull up. I still had to make it down the mountain. I still got high up on that mountain, about 4500 out of 4800 elevation and saw the sunrise fill the Yosemite Valley. What a sight.

I'm considering heading back when I heal up and doing the night hike again. Next time hopefully with 2-3 other people instead of just me and one buddy. I know the way now, but the threat of wildlife is less with a bigger party. We didn't have any problems but encountered two cougars that we had to scare off... the second didn't go so easy and quickly.

I'll either head back in less than a month or I'll never do it again. I'm not sure.

mark williams
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Good effort, mate - hope you heal up soon and have another go. There's no denying you broke the back of it, but it's always nice to finish.

Any serious knocks or nothing a couple days won't fix?

Derek Weaver
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Mark. I don't know really know where I'm at injury wise. I definitely have some serious soreness and inflammation going on, but my right ankle and knee are pretty swollen. I tend to heal fast and kind of at an odd time.

It's not been uncommon for me to tear something up, be laid up for 3-4 days and within 7-10 days be back at 90%. I figure I'll just rest, ice and if I am improving hit a very light recovery day of light kb swings... I'll play it by ear.

Arien Malec
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Great that you tried. I'm impressed that you had to scare off cougars, and also impressed that you tried at a night hike. I've only heard of people doing day hikes and spending the night up there.

Derek Simonds
07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Wow what an experience. Hopefully you took some pictures.

Derek Weaver
07-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Arien and Derek. I definitely got some pictures. Not too many, but I think I am going to go back once I'm all healed up. Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all, but still... I gotta make it up the cables.

The night hike is the way to go. I would prefer to do it in a party of 3-5 instead of just 2 of us, but you only live once.

Conditioning and fatigue management are crucial if you're doing it all in one day.

no training the last couple of days. I got a Lifeline Jungle Gym 2 for my B-day so I'll hit an upper body circuit on it tomorrow.

Ice the knee and used the tennis ball around my quads and hips. Much better than yesterday, still not good.

Derek Weaver
08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
8/6/09 Thursday
So I just kinda screwed around. I also happened onto a TRX. Definitely an upgrade over the Jungle Gym. Going to see about a return on that one. The TRX is pricey, but it's a fun workout and good for travelling, which I am planning on doing a lot of in the near future.

Hit a circuit today: All supersets x4, 12 reps. Rest 30 seconds, repeat. Complete all supersets before moving to next pairing. 1 minute rest between pairings.
A1) Face Pull
A2) Back Extension

B1) Chest Press (ring push up)
B2) Body Row

C1) Hip Press (think a suspended glute bridge)
C2) Atomic Push up

Derek Weaver
08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
8/7/09 Friday
Knee was sore. Complete rest.

8/8/09 Saturday
Hit the TRX for about 40 minutes. Going after the KB's tomorrow with some Clean and Military Presses, maybe some snatch ladders or something too depending on how I feel.

TRX: 30 Sprint Starts/leg (tested the knee, felt okay)
20 Power Pulls
20 Incline Suspended push ups /leg

3x8-12 each of Body Row with pause at top, explosive contraction + Atomic Push Up.
Rest 45 seconds

3x6 Pull up with Pause at top (done on a pull up bar) for leg raise. Explode up as much as possible.

3x10 supine pull thru (reverse plank type of exercise)

3x15/side pendulum

2x15 Hamstring curl + bicycle + hip press

Notes:
- I'll clean up the notes and post some links for exercises soon.
- This was a lot of volume looking back but just wanted to keep moving and not get stale.

Derek Weaver
08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
8/9/09 Sunday
KB Swing 1.5 pood 4x15

KB C&Press 2x1 pood 3x8

8x3 35 lb weighted pull ups on the minute density style. Easy.

Notes:
- Was a little nervous to see how the knee would feel today. Felt okay. Tomorrow's rest day will be good.
- Was sore from the high volume suspension stuff yesterday. Today was more of a recovery/testing day and still broke a good sweat.
- 2/1/2/1 etc. may be a good schedule I've been overlooking. Funny how forced time off can open new ideas re: training, planning, working.
- I'd like to work on some stuff Pavel writes about in the coming weeks to months. Primarily priming the CNS for strength gains without mass gains.

After Half Dome I realized that a) my knees aren't in the best shape evidenced by the calcifications that weren't huge, but were still easy to spot on my X-rays.
b) I need to rethink the way I do things to ensure I train to live instead of live to train. This 2/1 schedule may be a good thing in that regard. Strength (PTTP'ish) day 1, metabolic conditioning/ KB work capacity day 2, restoration/activity day 3. repeat.

My work environment may be influencing this outlook as well. Things are a bit rocky again at work, kind of out of nowhere, and I'm not sure how much I'm willing to invest on heading 45 minutes away to train to fight when there are other one time expenses I can invest in for sustainable enjoyment.

Derek Weaver
08-11-2009, 07:29 PM
8/11/09 Tuesday
Deadlift 235x5, 200x5
Press105x5, 90x5

Density Pull Ups 40 lbs 8 minutes, 3 reps on the minute. 24 reps total, made them all.

Notes:
- First time lifting anything in about 2 weeks. I had only done a couple of bodyweight things in the last couple weeks. Kept it conservative for the hips, lower back and knee as well.
- Knee felt okay during deads. A little twinge after the back off set. Iced and feel okay.
- Presses felt fine, nothing special.
- Pull ups were good. I'll add weight again next time. 5 lb. jumps until I miss reps then adjust.

Derek Weaver
08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
8/12/09 Wednesday
Worked out without much of a plan today. Had a rough and stressful day at work. Just wanted to move and blow off some steam.

Warm up:
Joint Mobility. Focused on the hips.
Practiced 2-hand anyhow. Kinda fun.

KB C&P-4x10 35lbs.

Deadlift (sumo) 2x3 cluster sets @ 205

TRX: 30 Sprint Starts/leg
20 Power Pulls/side
20 Incline Suspended Push Ups/leg

2x15/side pendulum.

Notes:
- Wanted to work sumo DL to see how it felt. Lots of hammy stuff. May be a good thing to learn. None of that CF style Sumo Deadlift High Pull stuff. Shoulders don't find it friendly.
- Weight is loooooow. Came in at 156 yesterday morning. Haven't been that low in a while. Not sure what's up. I didn't do much for 2 weeks, but didn't really restrict food intake until the end of last week, and certainly not enough for ~5 lb. drop. Maybe water?
- Tomorrow's an off day. I will probably get some sun and swim a bit after work. Until things settle down again I need to manage stress of all kinds better.

Derek Simonds
08-13-2009, 04:54 AM
I understand about the stress at work. My job is also really goofed up right now. That stress coupled with a pulled or strained rhomboid in my back and you get muscle spasms that will keep you up at night. Yuck. I carry stress in my upper back and neck so the combination of the two sucks.

I like what you are doing with your workouts. Manage the stress and get some good work capacity at the same time.

Derek Weaver
08-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I carry the stress the same way. When I got injured it was kind of a blessing. Forced me to rethink things instead of beat the piss out of myself everyday.

Once things work themselves out one way or another I'll bring the pain a bit more consistently.

Nice 5/3/1 work by the way.

Derek Weaver
08-14-2009, 11:11 PM
8/14/09 Friday
Deadlift 245x5, 220x5
Barbell Bent Press 45x5, 35x5
Density Pull Ups 8x3 on the minute, 45 lbs.

Notes:
- Deads felt good. This is ~ 100 lbs. less than I was pulling about 9 months ago, but I was in far better shape structurally then than I am now. Getting there though.
- Bent presses are hard. I like them. I like the standing press too though...
- Pull ups felt good. I need to increase maximal strength on these at some point, but for now I'll continue to progress Density style until I stall out.
- The training is starting to take shape towards TSC type training. I'd thought about training for one a while back but fell out of it. More KB training will be in order at some point and I'd be surprised if I entered one this year.

Derek Weaver
08-15-2009, 10:32 PM
8/15/09 Saturday
KB Snatch 35 lbs 20-15-10-5
Time = 5.55

1 Arm KB Swing 53 lbs. 3x10/arm 1 minute rest

Clean and Press 2x35 lbs. 3x6

TRX Core Circuit: x3
12 Atomic Push Up
12 Pendulum
12 Pike Pull Through

Notes:
- The snatch sets were something I saw that Steve Maxwell had recommended for TSC training with the 53 lb'er. Not in that league yet.
- Worked the KB swings with a hammer grip. Targets the forearms quite a bit on those.
- Hung out in the sun afterwards and swam a few laps. Kept the stress level low all around.
-

Went to Strikeforce Carano vs. Cyborg tonight. Fun show. Bummed Carano lost though.

I'd been singing the praises of Mousasi before the card started and everyone I was with (there were 12 of us in all) was telling me Babalu would smash him... hah.

Derek Simonds
08-16-2009, 06:38 AM
I watched the first fight and then recorded the rest. Plan on watching them today.

Derek Weaver
08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Sorry, should have put up a spoiler alert. I didnt' realize it was on tape delay here on the west coast... and certainly was out there.

Arien Malec
08-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Speaking of combat, are you still going to the kali/jdk classes?

Derek Weaver
08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Not for the time being. Right now there's a lot of other stuff that needs to happen before I add yet another commitment.

My future's so up in the air that I'd be flushing money by getting into a contracted situation like that.

For now I'm going to concentrate on just living and figuring out what the next step is.

On another note..... holy crap my weight is low. 151 lbs this morning. That's like a 4 lb drop, which isn't really physiologically possible from a week ago. I'm pretty lean, but 4 lbs? The scale was off on one of those weigh ins, and I weighed 3x's this morning.

I compensated by immediately eating ~100 grams/carbs. I need to add a Snicker's bar a day or something.

Allen Yeh
08-17-2009, 05:41 AM
It's possible believe me! Due to some stuff going on I've lost a bunch of weight recently. I like how lean I've gotten and haven't been this low since pre-college but then again pre-college I was probably 20+% BF too at the same weight.

Derek Weaver
08-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I like the leanness. Durability's going to be an issue though. Going to need to be more in the 155-160 lb. range. That's where I tend to feel the best overall.

8/17/09 Monday
Deadlift 255x5, 230x5
Barbell Bent Press 50 lbs, 35 lbs (with a kb)
Density Pull ups 8x3 minutes. 3 reps/minute x 55 lbs.

Notes:
- Deads feel good and are easy. Making a steady progression, will back off after next workout and move again.
- Bent presses are hard.
- Pull ups feel good. I can add another 5 lbs I think without much trouble.
- KB/work capacity days are taking shape along the lines of this workout series (http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebells-strength-conditioning-forum/131293-force-recon-workout.html). I figure I should move more towards the strength side of strength endurance for at least one of the days. Maybe that'll help my bodyweight inch back up.
- Regarding bodyweight. I wouldn't mind taking a slow and steady climb up the scales. I like staying leaner, but don't need to be 7% bodyfat. Not trying to get jacked out of my mind either at the moment. That may change.

Derek Weaver
08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
8/18/09 Tuesday
A1) Weighted Pull ups 5x5-35 lbs.
A2) KB Clean and Press 5x5-45 lbs.

B1) H2H swings 45 lbs. 5x10/side.
Stopped after the second set, knee felt odd as I passed 5 reps

C1) KB Snatch 5x3
C2) Hanging Leg Raise 5x8-12

Notes:
- Gassed. Didn't sleep well last night as I had to give my Dad a ride to the airport this morning ~ 6:30 am and my dog kept waking me up all night.
- Knee tweaked a bit, so I cut the H2H swings and kept the Snatches low. The snatches felt good though.
- Today's a good experiment in manipulating volume based on rest/recovery and overall health. I think I did okay.

Derek Weaver
08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
8/20/09 Thursday
Deadlift 265x5, 240x5
Barbell Side Press 55x5, 45x5
Hanging Leg Raise 2x12

Notes:
- Deads feel good. Rebuidling a lift that was pretty freaking strong sucks though.
- Made the bent press a side press after actually reading PTTP. Looking forward to waving the cycle back and up on the next strength day and climbing the ladder past the numbers today.
- Really focusing on crushing the bar, "irradiation" etc.
- I may tweak the schedule to allow a bit more focused PTTP work in there. Maybe after another wave or two. That'd be ~8 workouts I think. I'm still progressing and having fun.
- I'm not sure how much barbell squatting I'm going to be doing in the future. I'm good for farmer's walks with a lunge, step ups, KB front squats etc.

Allen Yeh
08-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Zerchers!

Derek Weaver
08-21-2009, 08:05 AM
I never really got the whole Zercher madness thing. Lower load, higher amount of pain etc.

Except for strongman stuff I don't really get their application.

Derek Simonds
08-21-2009, 10:48 AM
It is fantastic for grappling. I am not doing them now in my program but when I was I could totally feel it like a takedown or a move to take top position.

Derek Weaver
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I could see the application for grappling, but I'd probably prefer sandbags and other odd objects than a barbell destroying the crooks of my elbows.

8/21/09 Friday
Conditioning:
A10 KB 1 Arm C&J 24 kg- 10 minutes. Lost
- Lost count of reps, this sucked though. Put the bell down a lot.
B1) Pull ups (dead hang) - 50 total in as few sets as possible
B2) KB Front Squats 2x35 lbs x 8-10
C1) KB Swings 24 kg 10 Minutes total, 20 reps with 30 second active recovery
D1) Sit Ups 45 lbs.x5x5

Notes:
- Wow. I cut down on weight for swings, front squts, C&J's... and also cut pull ups in half and I was destroyed.
- Knee felt okay during front squats. I need to take it easy on squatting movements for a while still.
- Odd, lunging movements feel better than squatting movements.
- Happy for a rest day.

Derek Weaver
08-23-2009, 01:08 PM
8/23/09 Sunday
Deadlift 245x5, 220x5
Side Press 50x5, 45x5
Hanging Leg Raise 3x12

Notes:
- Starting the wave back up. Should be closing in on the 300 lb range again by the end of this wave. I repeat: rebuilding a lift that was ~100 lbs. heavier for 1x5 about 9 months ago sucks.
- Side presses are awesome. So are bent presses.
- Got the bodyweight budged a couple lbs, need to slow it down and keep it steady for a few months back towards 160 lbs. Durability is good, chubby is not.
- Looking forward to KB's tomorrow. Great for the hips and all.

Derek Weaver
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
8/24/09 Monday
A1) Weighted Pull ups 5x5- 35 lbs.
A2) KB C&P 5x5- 45 lbs.
B1) Goblet Squat 3x5- 53 lbs.
C1) KB Snatch 5x5
C2) Hangling Leg Raise 5x Max

Notes:
- Felt good today. No real knee issues.
- Kept goblet squats easy and short sets since this is the first real squatting I've done in ~ 1 month.
- More in the tank for KB Snatches. Felt light today.

On a side note. I'm pretty jacked on a couple of fronts.
1) I paid off my student loan. I set the payment over the weekend and it processed today. That was cool.
2) I purchased a couple GS style KB's from Perform Better (2x53 lbs.) seeing as I built a good nest egg and won almost a grand over the weekend on a roulette bet. My mom went up with her friend and I asked her to take $20 of my cash with me and bet a color. If the color hit I told her pick a number and let it ride. She ended up splitting numbers and one of them hit. Pretty cool.

Kevin Perry
08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
that must feel good to have school payed off.

Allen Yeh
08-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Dude I'm jealous! That must be a great feeling to have that off you back.

Derek Simonds
08-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Awesome job on getting your student loan payed off! One of the things I am most proud of as a parent is both of our kids college tuition is already paid. In Florida we have a prepaid college fund and I got into it when the kids were 1 and 3. They can basically go to any school in Fl for absolutely nothing. The only cost they will incur will be their living expenses for the 2 - 4 years.

I have several friends who are in their 30's that are no where near paying off their loans. You rock!

Derek Weaver
08-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Thank you gentlemen. It's a good feeling. All this time I've been stressed about work was that I was afraid it was going to screw up my plan(s) for repayment.

My tuition was actually paid as well, but I changed my major in my THIRD year and that threw a wrench into things.

It's good we don't have that prepaid fund in California, we'd give it away to some program it wasn't ever supposed to go towards...

Derek Weaver
08-25-2009, 04:43 PM
8/25/09 Tuesday
Deadlift 255x5, 230x5
Side Press 55x5, 45x5

Notes:
- Felt good. Wasn't scheduled to lift today, but I had the day off and felt real good. I got up early, got my windshield repaired and had some time to kill.
- I may just go 3/1 unless I'm feeling burnt out/under recovered and use rest day intelligently. Keeping it flexible yet still semi-structured and progressing.
- Got a kinda rough sunburn as I went and hung out by the pool, swam a few laps etc. for 2+ hours. I don't really need sunscreen for the most part, but today was just enough to get a little crispy. That sucks.

Arien Malec
08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I paid off my student loan. I set the payment over the weekend and it processed today. That was cool. Nice - always a good feeling. One piece of advice -- keep sending those loan checks, but send them to yourself. It's a lot easier to save that way....

Derek Weaver
08-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Arien. I actually have a savings plan in place with my bank. Easier to get it done that way.

8/27/09 Thursday
Deadlift 265x5, 240x5
Barbell Side Press 60x5, 50x5

Notes:
- Messed up a little on the second set of presses in regards to the weight.
- Deadlifts felt real good and easy. If I can get close to a 400 lb pull for reps that would be considered a victory.
- My new KB's came in today. Double KB C&J's with 24 kg/bells are hard. GS competitors are rockstars.

Derek Weaver
08-28-2009, 10:15 PM
8/28/09 Friday
Wanted to play around with the 2x24 kg kb's.
KB C&J 5x5 @ 2x24 kg
KB Snatch 20-15-10-5 L/R @ 16 kg - 5.29
TGU Sit Up 3x5/side @ 16 kg

Notes:
- I like the pro-style kb's! They feel really good and feel like I can get a lot more out of them than I could the hard style kbs I have.
- Snatch test/countdown got better by over a minute. I think last one was closer to 7 minutes. both tests I didn't set the bell down. Once I break 5 minutes I'll move to the 20 kb and work towards 100 total reps, same countdown manner until I break 5 minutes.
- TGU Sit ups are hard. Never done them before. A keeper.
- Not sure if I can hit a PTP workout tomorrow or chill. I'll play it by ear.
- edit: Forgot. I tried a couple double kettlebell snatches. Those are definitely tough.

Derek Simonds
08-29-2009, 05:14 AM
I love TGU sit ups. Of course I love TGU's so why wouldn't I? My kids really like doing them also. Fun for the whole family. Nice workout. Where did you get your pro bells from?

Derek Weaver
08-29-2009, 08:10 AM
I got them from Perform Better. As far as I can tell just like the AKC bells. I saw in another thread where Catherine Imes noted they were from the same manufacturer as the AKC/WKC bells. I had to strip the handles though.

They're much more comfortable doing cleans and snatches with. If there's a notable difference than the actual akc bells I am not exactly a KB expert who would recognize it.

Derek Weaver
08-29-2009, 10:24 PM
8/29/09 Saturday
Deadlift 270 x5, 240 x5
Side Press 50x5, 45x5
Assisted Pistols 1x3/leg

Notes:
- Wasn't sure if I was going to pull and press today. I warmed up, did some joint mobility and felt good. Made a 5 lb. jump on Deads and took 10 lbs. off on the press.
- Pistols felt good. Wanted to test the leg as I've put some lunges with a twist in my warm up/mobility. Wouldn't try unassisted yet.
- Rest tomorrow will be nice. Hopefully I'll get 280 x5 without an epic struggle on Monday.

Arien Malec
08-29-2009, 10:47 PM
I've never done a PTP run -- how's recovery on it? I'ved worried about burnout from all the deads.

Derek Weaver
08-29-2009, 11:24 PM
So far so good. I'm running a bit modified as I'm inserting a KB/conditioning day in between strength days. Ran a 3/1 last week, will continue to do so unless recovery starts to suck. If that happens I'll go back to 2/1 or something different.

Schedule this last week was PTP-KB/conditioning-PTP-rest... repeat

It's important to cycle weights back up every few workouts (maybe 8 or so) to keep from screwing up.

If I can close in on 400 for a near max single by October I think I may switch to nearly exclusively KB/bodyweight. Unless something else catches my attention after the Deadlift project is over.

GS style lifting is getting more and more appealing.

Derek Weaver
08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
8/31/09 Monday
Deadlift 275x5, 240x5
Barbell Side Press 55x5, 45x5
Hanging Leg Raise 2x12

Notes:
- Deads felt great through rep 4. Rep 5 got shaky. Scale down and back up on Wednesday I guess. I have an outline of what I'd like for things to look like, but obviously if I start grinding reps I'll set up for failure
- Presses were easy. May need to use a "step progression" as I think Pavel called it. Something like workout 1,2 at weight "x", workout 3,4 weight "x + 5 lbs" to keep from getting pummeled. Especially with KB work.
- Odd day off from work tomorrow. KB stuff, pool time.

Derek Weaver
09-01-2009, 12:09 PM
9/1/09 Tuesday
Warm up: Joint mobility stuff, working the hips a lot.
2x 1:00/side 1 arm swing- 16 kg
2x 5/side C& Press 16 kg, 20 kg

3x 10/side 1 Arm Jerk 24 kg.
2x 2:00/side 1 Arm LCCJ 16 kg
3x5/side TGU Sit Ups 16 kg

Notes:
- This felt like a lot more volume than it looks like. Maybe I missed something. I'll check my actual training book.
- LCCJ is brutal. Made a conscious effort to keep the bell in hand the whole set. Found overhead a better place to rest the grip.
- Had some 1 arm swings with the 24 kg planned but decided not to after yesterdays grinding deadlifts.
- Pro style bells are so much nicer than hard style bells. Even if Perform Better bells aren't as good for comp purposes as those from the actual AKC there is a noticeable difference.

Derek Weaver
09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
9/2/09 Wednesday
Unplanned rest day. I felt like I crashed into the wall yesterday.

9/3/09 Thursday
Skipped the deads and went with the kettlebells. No real structure.
24 KG Double Kettlebell C&J 3x5
24 KG Snatch 3x5/side
5 Minutes: 16 kg, 100 reps total.
-Smoked it in 3.33. Shaved almost 2 minutes off the last time. The only thing different is the first few times I'd tried this I had lifted heavy the day before.

Bodyweight:
5 rock bottom BW squats with no pain
TRX Assisted Pistols 3x3
Crush Push ups 2x10
Atomic Push ups 2x8
Notes:
- C&J's felt good. First rep was a little shaky, after that it was 'easy'. Jerks are hard, clean and jerks are really hard. What a CV hit.
- Snatches felt light-ish with the 24 kg. Rest is a good thing.
- As noted above, the sudo RKC test I've been doing was way easy today. Onward and upward.
- I've been considering for the last couple of weeks moving from barbell centric strength stuff to BW, KB and sandbag/odd object stuff. Mainly from a functionality stand point. I feel better after a training session that didn't involve heavy barbell lifting.

Even if it's BW stuff with weight added, high volume KB work and or ridiculously light yet still incredibly difficult sand bag stuff. I just feel like I can move better. Weight lifting can promote flexibility, but just about all the above mentioned stuff is mobility dependent. More thoughts to come I am sure.

Derek Simonds
09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Bodyweight:
5 rock bottom BW squats with no pain
TRX Assisted Pistols 3x3
Crush Push ups 2x10
Atomic Push ups 2x8

Awesome on the no pain!

Derek Weaver
09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, no pain on an air squat doesn't seem like much, but it's the only movement that was still bothering me.

9/4/09 Friday
1 Arm Jerks 3x10/side 24 kg
Snatch 3x1minute/side: 14 rpm
Kettlebell 2 Hand Swing 1xmax- lost count, stopped due to a cramp.

10 Pistols, assisted, alternating.
3x10 Suspended push ups + 2/side asst. pistols.

Notes:
- Cut the planned volume down. Still added up.
- Got a little feisty with the pistols. How I feel tomorrow will indicate what level of stupidity this was.
- Didn't feel like deadlifting and pressing. The move towards KB/bodyweight is continuing.
- Spent ~2 hours at the pool. Odd work schedule today allowed for a earlier workout and plenty of sun. It was nice.

Derek Weaver
09-07-2009, 01:31 PM
9/7/09 Monday
KB Jerk 2x16 kg: 1 minute x 10 intervals. 1 minute rest. 8 RPM.

KB Swing 24 kg 2 minutes, switch at 30 seconds

Bodyweight:
Pistols 2 (1,2,3)
Crush Push ups + Pull ups 3x10. 45 secs rest between sets.
TGU Sit ups 16kg 2x5/side

Notes:
- This was a "beginners" Jerk workout. There's a "Russian EDT" template I'll post that I pulled off the 'net. This is step #1. Ouch.
- The rack position is more uncomfortable than jerking the bells continuously. I started to get a consistent pace going.
- Pistols weren't really going to be a ladder. I feel more comfortable with pistols than squats. Tight hips screw things up in a standard air squat more than in a pistol it seems.
- Snatch focused workout tomorrow...

Derek Weaver
09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
9/8/09 Tuesday
Warmed up with Joint mobility, 1 set of swings @ 16 kg.
+ 2 sets each of 5 alternating C&J/snatch

1 Arm Jerk 3x5/side 24 kg
Snatch Max reps-16kg Switch every 10 reps. 200 reps total.
"No Momentum Sit ups" 3x10

Notes:
- Snatch set was tough. I set the bell down when I was done and within 2-3 minutes felt like I could go for another run through.
- I have been reading about the snatch being more on the endurance side of the whole strength-endurance wave. I'd agree after today.
- When I got shaky towards the end it was a) grip, b) control in the lock out. Overweight jerks should help that with time.

Derek Weaver
09-09-2009, 09:22 PM
9/9/09 Wednesday
Warm up with mobility stuff, swings, snatches etc. until I felt loose.

Long Cycle 2x16kg-6 RPM. 10 minutes, 1minute on/1 minute off
Pistols 2(1,2,3)

Notes:
- Long cycle was easier than a 8 rpm jerk workout. Lactic acid in the rack is a killer.
- Pistols felt good, but I probably should do more ankle stuff in addition to the hip mobility/flexibilty stuff I'm doing.
- Even though I get sore after a tough KB workout, I don't get all stiff like I would doing heavy squats and deads. I may be onto something.

Derek Simonds
09-10-2009, 04:58 AM
I am loving what you are doing with the KB's. I have played off and on with the LCCJ but don't have two bells let alone two comp bells. I also was very impressed with the 200 rep snatch session. I have done 100 a couple of times but never pressed pass that. Might have to have a go at it this weekend.

Arien Malec
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
How's your pain tolerance developing? That's the one thing I can never get used to with gs-type kb work. Then again, I've only got a 24kg bell -- I should go down to 16kg and see how high rep work feels with that.

Derek Weaver
09-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Derek,
Thanks for the boos tin confidence. I strongly suggest going for high reps/timed sets. Good stuff. Perform better has a good sale going right now through the end of September. If you've got a little extra dough, now's the time.

Arien,
Pain tolerance is... better. I actually feel better overall doing GS type work than Rigid Style work. Fluid's the way to go if you're in it for the long haul.

Like I said to Derek, Perform Better has a good sale going, may be a good time to swap some stuff out for a comp bell or two.

9/10/09 Thursday'
Warmed up with Joint Mobility and Swings.

1 Arm Jerk 2x5 24 kg
2 Arm Jerk 1x5 24 kg x2
Snatch- 10 minutes. 202 reps total

Notes:
- Crap. I meant to just keep the bell moving, work on pacing and breathing. Instead I blew it out doing 2 more reps than Tuesday in I think 1.11 less. Not exactly a recovery effort.
- Jerks are good before a snatch session. That sounds dirtier than it is.
- I've now to 2x16 kg comp bells, 2x24 kg and have 2x32 kg on the way.
I'm not using the money saved from my loans, but the money I hit on that roulette bet. Between the sale and that payoff things fell into place.
- It'll be a while before the 32's get into long sets. The 24's are in play in I'd say 3-6 months for 4+ minute sets. Damn near in striking distance to be a half assed competitor if that works out.

Derek Weaver
09-11-2009, 08:28 PM
9/11/09 Friday
Warm up: Standard. Joint mobility, swings etc. til I felt loose.

Jerk 6 Minutes total in 1 minute intervals. 2x16 kg- 8 RPM.
1 Arm Long Cycle 4 Minutes, switch on the minute x2- 16 kg
Pull ups 2xMax (8, 8)

Notes:
- Took it easy. More of an rep kind of day. Nothing crazy. I had an odd dizzy spell today right before I went to lunch. Ate a bunch of rice, chicken and a candy bar through the rest of my day after lunch and felt fine.
- 1 Arm Long Cycle is easier to find and hold the rack. I'm capable of possibly a 10 minute set with hand switches ~2 minutes... I think. Next Friday we'll find out.
- 9/11 is a bummer day. I didn't know anyone lost in the tragedy, but I still remember being a senior in high school and the profound effect it had on the rest of the year. Nothing has been the same since.

Allen Yeh
09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
What are you doing for joint mobility? The Pavel super joints stuff? Or something else? For some reason the other day when I did KB snatches they felt great but a few days later when I did them, my left shoulder/upper arm was feeling off. Which is the reason I had stayed away from KB snatches for so long.

Derek Weaver
09-13-2009, 09:39 PM
I'll usually do at least the Maxwell Daily Dozen (http://www.maxwellsc.com/articles.cfm?art_id=3000&startrow=1).

Other times I may mess around with some Intuflow stuff, but that's kind of odd. There's a good joint prep/warm up from the IKFF channel on youtube that I like as well before workouts.

What part of the shoulder is causing the issues?

Allen Yeh
09-14-2009, 05:08 AM
When doing KB snatches I feel almost like a popping sensation in my left shoulder. No pain but just feels weird. I've pretty much avoided KB snatches until the last month when I thought I'd give them a try. That da y I did the ladders I had no problems, but then the other day I felt it again. weird. I'm wondering if the WU I did prior to the ladders made a difference, which is something I'm going to try to experiment with.

Derek Weaver
09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
That is weird. Maybe get an RKC or AKC coach to check form? Dan John's forum may be a good spot to throw up a video from a couple angles.

Derek Simonds
09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I get a similar feeling (I think) and when I asked my PT he said that it was most likely weak rotator cuff muscles.

Derek Weaver
09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
9/14/09 Monday
Jerk 2x16 kg. 10 RPM, 10 minutes with 1 minute rest between minutes
TGU Sit up 16kg, 2x6/side
Swing 24kg. 2x20/hand

Notes:
- I realized after maybe the 3rd minute than 10 rpm is a lot right now. Had to get gutsy today.
- Swings are good.
- I kind of want to focus on jerks and long cycle, but snatches are so solid for endurance and overall misery that it would be stupid to not work them hard and often.

Arien Malec
09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
With all the jerks you are doing, how is the bent press coming along -- any carry over?

Derek Weaver
09-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Not sure yet. I've been just working kettlebells and some bodyweight stuff (pistols, push up and pull up variations thrown in).

I'm actually thinking in a couple of weeks on going for a heavy single Deadlift and Bent Press. I'd assume there'd be some carryover. I'll be sure to post after I pull and press.

Derek Weaver
09-15-2009, 08:16 PM
9/15/09 Tuesday
Warmed up with Joint Prep/Mobility, Swings etc.

KB Jerk (1 Arm) 2x5 24kg
Snatch 2x10/arm 24 kg, 2x20/arm 16 kg
Snatch Timed Set 10 Minutes 16 kg. 4 total arm switches. Lost count of reps.

Notes:
- I was a little distracted and just wanted to get some work in. Kind of lost track of what I was doing before the timed work. I felt pretty blown out this time around.
- I need to work more heavy jerks in addition to the 16 kg stuff. I also am considering getting some online coaching for a month or two. Not sure if I'd rather do that or drop into a seminar with a local AKC guy who does workshops and 1 on 1 sessions.
- I feel like progress will come easier in snatch and long cycle stuff. Jerks... not so much. I have a hard time finding my hip in the two arm jerk. The alternating rack seems to help but I still have a rough time getting the set up.
- The rack and the first drive in the jerk are the two biggest things I can identify with my form problems. I am sure there's a ton more though...

Derek Weaver
09-16-2009, 10:14 PM
[B]9/16/09 Wednesday
Warm up: Joint Mobility, Swings, Cleans etc.
C&J 2x24 kg- 2x8 (well below submaximal repetition effort)
C&J 3x2 minutes @ 5rpm
4x1 minutes @ 5 rpm
Pistiols 1( 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1)
Crush Push up + Pull up[/B 3x10

Notes:
- Wanted to see how I felt in the overhead position with the 24's today. I noticed I can sink to my hip easier with the 24's than with the 16s when trying to find the rack.
- Fatigue do to some outside life stress. Kinda cut into recovery the last couple days, but today felt much better.
- Left out an ab exercise. Started to do windmills but was wiped out.

Derek Weaver
09-19-2009, 12:30 AM
9/17/09 Thursday
Tore a callus on Wednesday, messed around with bodyweight stuff for ~30 minutes. Nothing crazy. Some animal moves and all.

9/18/09 Friday
Warmed up with the usual: Joint mobility/prep. Swings, calisthenics etc.

1 Arm Long Cycle C&J- 2x6 minutes 16kg, switch hands on the minute 6 rpm
TGU Sit up 2x5/side 20 kg
Swings- Nada, callus still tender especially after long cycle

Notes:
- I increased the weight on the tgu situps hoping that the targeted ab work I do will help in the overhead position. In the past when I was doing overhead work, I hit a stall, increased the targeted ab work i was doing and hit a bit push press PR.
- I feel pretty fresh and have the whole weekend off, I may hit a little workout tomorrow.
- I'm actually getting some coaching this coming Friday. I'm heading down to Oakland to work with an AKC, RKC, IKFF etc, coach. If it goes well I may invest in some online coaching for a bit.

Derek Simonds
09-21-2009, 05:58 AM
How did the KB coaching go? I forgot how much I like TGU's S/U's. I have been hitting full TGU's in warmup but I think I will add heavier TGU S/U's at the end of the workout.

Derek Weaver
09-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Coaching is coming up this friday. The guy seems legit though. Legit and known through AKC, RKC, IKFF etc. and has competed in the pro division.

Derek Weaver
09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
9/21/09 Monday
1 Arm Jerk 32 kgx5, 24 kgx10
1 arm Long cycle 2x3 minutes, 24 kg. 27 reps first set, 30 reps second.

Bodyweight stuff.. assorted.

Notes:
- Holy crap. I decided to focus on the 1Arm LCCJ for a couple of reasons today. It's harder to mess up technically than snatches, long cycle or double jerks.
- I actually have a doable progression to follow from this post. (http://www.americankettlebellclub.com/blog/?p=52) I think Derek posted this in the KB forum a while back.
- I'll probably stick with this each day this week, maybe an extended snatch set tomorrow. I'll keep it light and easy Thursday to be ready for Friday morning.

On a side note. I may be house hunting. This could impact some things I'm doing on here. Or it could not if it turns out now isn't the time.

Derek Weaver
09-22-2009, 11:19 PM
9/22/09 Tuesday
1 arm LCCJ 24 kg 4 Minutes 38 reps total (just over 9 rpm)
Swings 2x2minutes switch on the minute 16 kg
TGU Sit up 2x5/side 16 kg

Ring Dip + Pull up 3x10

Notes:
- Step two in the progression from the link in my previous post. If I can get to 10 minutes at ~8-9 rpm that'll be solid and should carry over to everything else. Once I get better technically at the other lifts I should have a good base. I don't want to flip flop, I just want to find out what's going to keep me from screwing up everything else.
- I realized that TGU Sit ups need to be very high tension. I was doing these with a touch of momentum off the floor that I didn't realize until I really squeezed throug a rep.
- Lower volume overall today. Tomorrow will be higher if I feel good. Hopefully 5 minute 1 arm LCCJ + other stuff.

Derek Simonds
09-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Have you ever looked at Adam Glass and the stuff he does with KB's? He is a performing strongman and some of the things he can do are ridiculous.

Derek Weaver
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Haven't seen him. I'll try and see some of the stuff he does.

9/23/09 Wednesday
2x15 swings/hand 16 kg
1 Arm LCCJ 5 Minutes-24kg switch hands every 5 reps. 49 reps total (plus 1 to finish off after the timer sounded)
Pistols 2(1,2,3)
Iranian Twisting Push ups 50 total
Ape Walk ~100 "steps"

Notes:
- I've been shooting for 8 rpm on the LCCJ, been hitting closer to 10. I need to slow down, but I'll keep adding a minute til I get to 10 minutes I guess.
- Pistols were low volume as the KB work fried my legs. I hadn't done any all week and just wanted to move the legs a bit more.
- BW stuff was good and I feel like I'm getting better at some of the movements. I'll be ready to stay fit while away in November.

Derek Simonds
09-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Have a great time at coaching today. Here is a link to Adam's blog. He is insane! He is also the guy that taught me the RKC Armbar.

http://adamtglass.blogspot.com/

Derek Weaver
09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks Derek. That blog is nuts.

Coaching was awesome. I learned some stuff I was doing wrong and was confirmed on a couple of things I have been doing right. Honestly, I think that perfecting the timing in the swing of all things is the most challenging.

9/25/09 Friday
Swings, cleans, swings etc. for ~10 minutes. Then:

1 Arm LCCJ 24kg, 6 Minutes- 57 reps total = 9.5 rpm.
KB Jerk 2x16 kg 6 sets, max- 11, 12, 15, 12, 15, 15.

Notes:
- High volume overall for jerks today. I am going to focus on the jerk until I can get down for another coaching session. Not to say I won't snatch sometimes, but there's some timing and breathing stuff I need to work on with the snatch that may prevent another 200 rep extended set.
- Learning to breathe properly during jerks helps a ton. See note below for the application.
- Max jerks weren't true max efforts. They were more about getting a rhythm regarding the breathing through the rep.
- May mess around with some BW stuff tonight.

Arien Malec
09-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Coaching was awesome. I learned some stuff I was doing wrong and was confirmed on a couple of things I have been doing right. Honestly, I think that perfecting the timing in the swing of all things is the most challenging.

Say more about that. What are the key elements to timing in the swing?

Derek Weaver
09-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Say more about that. What are the key elements to timing in the swing?

I'm glad you asked.

Primarily one thing. The "catch" really doesn't happen in the fluid style swing until your thumb hits your crotch. Along with the anatomical breathing it can get a little tricky. Similar to the RKC style of swinging though is the hip pop. No hyper extension but you still gotta squeeze the hell out of your glutes.

That pop has to take place where horizontal trajectory meets vertical trajectory. Along with a slight "elbow lead/pull" and you get a different experience.

It should be noted that I felt significantly better after a high volume workout today with improved breathing technique than I have in a while. And my training volume really wasn't that crazy, but would have wiped me out previously.

Derek Simonds
09-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Love that description. Seriously good coaching cues there. I will try them on myself and see if I can put it into my own words.

Derek Weaver
09-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I probably have another training thoughts/manifesto coming up today where I may be able to explain it a bit better. The coach I worked with made it really simple.

And that should be edited to "the catch doesn't really start until the thumb hits your shorts, don't hit your crotch." The last thing we want to do is wipe out the berries with a 32kg kb.

Derek Weaver
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
9/28/09 Monday
Warm up: Mobility, swings, cleans, presses, jerks etc.
1 arm jerks 2x5/arm 32kg.
Jerk 3x1 minute 2x24kg. 90 seconds rest. (10, 11, 14-weird)
Jerk 6x1 minute on/1 off 2x16 kg @ 12 rpm.

Notes:
- Ouch.

Derek Weaver
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
9/29/09 Tuesday
Had one of the worst days I've ever had at work today. Just felt like walking out. Needless to say, my workout was tough.

Warm up: The usual. Swings (~75/hand), cleans etc.
C&J 10x6 reps 2x24 kg - 90 second rest.
TGU Sit up 3x6/hand 16 kg

Notes:
- This was actually lower volume compared to yesterday. I wanted to go "heavy" for moderate reps and work on some stuff from last week. For a little while I'll go by feel as I get better at some of the technique stuff I learned.
- Tomorrow I'm going for a timed set with the 16kg's (jerks). I want to see how long I can make it total. Reps are a secondary goal tomorrow. The main one is TIME.

Kevin Perry
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Typical work drama?

Derek Simonds
09-30-2009, 02:10 AM
9/29/09 Tuesday
Had one of the worst days I've ever had at work today. Just felt like walking out. Needless to say, my workout was tough.

I have had one of those months. I actually told my wife that the last job I quit with not having a new job lined up had been less stressful than this one is. I love my job and I am employed it just seems like everything I do has so much conflict in it.

Best of luck to you!

Derek Weaver
09-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Typical work drama?

I have had one of those months. I actually told my wife that the last job I quit with not having a new job lined up had been less stressful than this one is. I love my job and I am employed it just seems like everything I do has so much conflict in it.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks fellas. My job just plain sucks. To be honest, without trying to sound too arrogant: I didn't go to college to work a job like this. On the flip side, at least I have a job.

On another note. Not going to try and buy a house. It'll take at least 60 days to close something which would be pushing it try and get that $8,000 first time buyer credit. Plus I'm actually looking to transfer out of my office or switch paths altogether. The housing market will suck for a while. I can set a more modest goal of buying before I turn 28 (I'm 26 now).

9/30/09 Wednesday
Warm up: The Usual
Timed sets:
1) 2.36
2) 2.12

One arm C&J 15 reps/arm 24 kg.

Bodyweight: Assorted.

Notes:
- Fried from a really high stress day yesterday, a pretty stressed out day today and two tougher than I thought workouts Monday and Tuesday.
- More of a recovery workout. That's fine.
- I'm working on how to arrange my workouts. I still need to work on the double jerk stuff that I learned last week, but I'm thinking the 1 arm LCCJ progression could build overall work capacity best. Not sure how to incorporate the two. I need to hit 10 minutes ~ 80 reps total (40/arm I suppose) with 1 hand switch.

Derek Weaver
10-01-2009, 02:37 PM
A New Manifesto:

I've been working more bodyweight and kettlebell stuff for about a month or so and in that time I've felt very good. Bodyweight has stayed steady after plummeting ~10 lbs., strength good (multiple reps of C&J with the 32 kg, solid strength endurance progression with the 24kg in the 1 Arm LCCJ), and the CV system is getting stronger.

I was talking to my Dad earlier in the day and he randomly asked if I still do that "Crossfit Stuff" anymore. I told him, not really. And then realized something:
In regards to the 10 Aspects or Areas of Fitness (or whatever the hell they're called) I've been hitting each and every one at each and every workout.
Through the list.
1) Cardiovascular/Respiratory Endurance: Duh. Ever try and 10 minute Long Cycle set or 200 + snatches without putting a bell down?
2) Stamin: See Above
3) Strength: Not pure powerlifting strength, but this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq83RvIghvw)of a old dude/AKC coach who only practices the 16 kg snatch to this point should help sway doubters as to the strength possiblities. Admittedly, he'd been lifting prior to his transition.
4) Flexibility: Do a 2- KB jerk properly and you'll see what I mean.
5) Power: 2x32 kb for 151 reps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA3nh_U-vaI)
6) Speed: You don't do 151 reps in 10 minutes at a slow pace.
7) Coordination: Goofy dorks don't do well with the bells.
8) Agility: The weakest of the arguments here. However, as it's stated in the 10 Areas, minimize time between movements (roughly), this makes sense in transitioning between hip drive for the movement and the catch.
9) Balance: It's an overhead sport.
10) Accuracy: If you want your shoulers and wrists to stay the way they are (healthy) you'll be careful.

Couple well taught KB work with a sensible strength only program (maybe a 1 or 2 day/week approach like in Jim Wendler's Lifting Three Days A Week, e-book (I think that's what it's called. Book's not on this computer that I'm on) and you've got a great foundation for a long training career and/or a successful S&C base of martial arts. Not sure how this would transfer into other sports like basketball, baseball or volleyball. I tend to agree with Mike Boyle in that maybe overhead athletes shouldn't do much, if any overhead work.

/Rant for now.

Kevin Perry
10-01-2009, 04:22 PM
good rant

Derek Weaver
10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks. There's certainly more to come. Not going to bash CF, just altering my view a bit I think.

10/1/09 Thursday
Warm up: usual stuff

1 Arm LCCJ: 3 minutes @ 10 rpm. Switch hands every 5 reps
3x2 minutes @ 9 rpm. Switch hands on the minute.

Pistols: 2(1,2,3)
Pull Up + Bar Dip: 3x12 each
Ab Wheel: 3x15

Notes:
- Had a 7 min. 1 Arm LCCJ set scheduled and decided I didn't feel like that much pain today. Split it up.
- The 2 minute sets were meant for pacing. Trying to confine myself to 8 rpm. Can't seem to do it yet.
- I've got more thought as well as a possibly convenient experiment to try out in the winter.

Derek Simonds
10-02-2009, 05:56 AM
There are some seriously strong people who only do what you are talking about.

Derek Weaver
10-04-2009, 05:25 PM
10/3/09 Saturday
Had another tough day on Friday so I took it off and worked yesterday for relatively easy stuff:
Warm up: The Usual
1 Arm LCCJ: 4 minutes = 50 reps total. 3 minutes = 29 reps (+ 1 to even it out)
Snatch Width Chins x10 + Pistols x5/leg + HLR x 10

Notes:
- Nothing crazy. The goal for splitting the LCCJ stuff is to get ahold of the RPM. Not working very well. Plus, since I can't seem to control pacing very well, I'm not sure whether or not a 7+ minute set is wise.

Derek Weaver
10-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Follow up to the Manifesto and a 4 week change:

Like Derek noted, there are some seriously strong people that really only do GS style training. Valrey Fedorenko would be a good example. The only thing I can think about when it comes to lifting a relatively light load transferring over to near maximal strength is the idea of volume that was put forth a while ago in the Oly Lifting vs. Power Lifting article in the PMenu. I'm too lazy to find it, but it illustrated the max effort deadlift carryover from the high volume pulls in an Oly program.

With that said, I also made a point in the last rant/manifesto that GS style training with a minimalist 1-2 day/week strength program would/could create just about a perfect S&C program for martial artists and other athletes.

Time to put it to the test... sort of. In November, I am going to Europe for a couple of weeks and will only be doing some easy bodyweight stuff as I'll be on my feet quite a bit during the day touring the sites of Rome and Barcelona.

The intended goal is to be pain free when I go through my first real go with corrective exercises in a program, but also create a *slight* overreaching effect before I go so as not to de-train too much (work capacity is a bitch to build, plus I'm kind of nuts/stupid and want to see how I do with this attempt).

Also, I've solidified a mobility warm up to do everyday as I usually just pick the Maxwell Daily Dozen or a combo of various approaches. I'll post it on Monday. Easy stuff and completely un-original.

Program for the next 4 weeks until I depart 11/3/09 (corrective exercises after main exercise for same number of sets)
Monday:
Front Squat 6x4
- Corrective: T- Spine Rotation x6/side
Row 4x6
- Corrective: Lying Knee-To-Knee Stretch 30 seconds
Low Incline Bench 4x6
- Corrective: Squat to Stand x5

Thursday:
Snatch Deadlift 3x3, 1x5
- Corrective: Kneeling Hip Flexor Mobilization/stretch x8/side.
Wide Grip Chins (weighted) 3x6
- Corrective: Rock Back Glute Activation x8
Band Push Ups 3xMax
- Band Pull Aparts x10

At the end of it if I feel good I'll throw in a couple timed sets of swings. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday I'll continue with GS work, mainly Long Cycle or just Jerk stuff.

Arien Malec
10-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Barcelona is amazing. I've never been to Rome, but spent days walking around Barcelona. Great architecture, culture, food. Enjoy!

I'll be interested in how your experiment works out.

Allen Yeh
10-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Rome was awesome. Great food, great sites!

Any particluar things you are looking to correct with this selection of corrective exercises? Or are you looking for more of a preventive effect?

Derek Weaver
10-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Basically attempting to offset all the sitting I do at work. I've got some random things I throw in based on feel as well. Lots of ankle, knee, hip and upper back stuff. Shoulders have more or less been improved through GS work.

10/5/09 Monday
Warm up: Mobility- Arm Circles (front and back) x10, Thoracic Extension x10 (foam roller), Hip Circles x10, Twists x10, Ankle Breaks x10, Knee Circles x10, Split Squat x10, Side to Side Squat x10, Rotational Squat x10, Wall Slides x10

Front Squat- 170 lbs x6x4 reps
- T Spine Rot- 6/side
Row- 135 lbs x4x6 reps
- Knee to Knee Stretch 3x30 seconds (total of 3 stretches between sets)
Low Incline Bench 155 lbs x4x6 reps
- Squat to Stand x6
Ab Wheel 3x15

Notes:
- First direct, weighted leg work since July. May have overdone it a bit, but my knees felt good.
- Ended things with ~10 minutes static stretching.
- No KB work as time crunch was heavy tonight with some unexpected things coming up after work.

Allen Yeh
10-06-2009, 04:20 AM
Have you read this article?

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

I've been working through phase 1 and just tried my first workout of phase 2 yesterday. Interesting stuff, my glutes have never been sore like this before and I feel like I feel them more when I did strides the other day.

Derek Weaver
10-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I had read it and completely forgot about it. Good stuff there. I'll have to go through phase 1.

Thanks.

Derek Weaver
10-06-2009, 07:51 PM
10/6/09 Tuesday
Warm up: Mobility, Swings
1 Arm LCCJ 3 minutes 24kg-30 reps
Long Cycle 3 minutes 2x16 kg-18 reps

Swings: 2 minutes/hand, 4 minutes total.

Notes:
- Today was more of a recovery workout. I screwed the pooch yesterday and have some serious DOMS in my legs.
- Considering I'd hardly done any direct leg work, and none of it weighted for ~2 months... 6x4 front squats was just stupid.

Derek Weaver
10-07-2009, 11:31 PM
10/7/09 Wednesday
Warm up: Mobility, swings etc. + 1 Arm LCCJ 1 minute to warm up

1 Arm LCCJ 6 Minutes x 24kg: 54 reps total
Ab Wheel 3x12

Notes:
- I spent a lot more time warming up today to get ready for the actual work set. I don't think I would have gotten anything done had I not spent close to 30 minutes getting loose.
- Legs still feeling it today.

Derek Simonds
10-08-2009, 03:30 AM
It's cool to see you working with the 24 KG bell in the LCCJ. I have only ever used the 16 KG'er. I should at least give it a try with the heavier bell.

Nothing like 24 Front Squats to limit your range of motion.

Derek Weaver
10-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks. The 24 kg actually helps with the pacing. If I were using the 16kg it'd be a blowout every workout. I'm still moving a little faster than I'd like to, but getting better at managing RPM.

10/8/09 Thursday
Snatch Deadlift 4x3 @ 205, 1x5@ 185
- Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch/Activation x8/leg
Snatch Width Chins 4x6 @ 35 lbs.
- Rock Back Glute Activation x10
Band Push ups 4x max ( 15, 12, 12, 10)
- Band Pull Aparts x10

KB Snatch Technique work ~5 minutes. Working on getting the 'bell around, rather than over.

Notes:
- Felt much better today in terms of soreness. Went through a longer warm up again. usually I do well with a reasonably quick warm up, but after Monday... I need a little more.
- Odd day off in the middle of the week and I've gotten all of nothing done except for my workout... kind of nice.
- I wish I would have paid attention to corrective stuff and the perils of desk work earlier. I'd probably feel a whole lot better. That'll change.

Derek Weaver
10-10-2009, 05:25 PM
10/10/09 Saturday
Had an unplanned rest day yesterday with life stuff.
Snatch Practice 20/arm x3 16 kg.
1 Arm LCCJ: 3 minutes- 30 reps, 2 minutes- 20 reps.

2 rounds, 9/6/3 rep scheme:
Pull up + Suspended Lung + Suspended Push up
Ab Wheel 3x15

Notes:
- When the seasons change it makes it harder to get through a CV taxing type of workout. I tend to dry out really badly both through my respiratory system as well as my skin. I may need to change things a little to accomodate the changing weather since I workout in my garage with no version of climate control.
- Had to split up the LCCJ stuff because of the above mentioned factor(s). Fatigue not really the issue in terms of muscular stuff, but holding a pace is tough and it just started to hit this time of year.
- The change could be shifting to longer sets of swings where I don't have the bell changing planes and positions as often, with less LCCJ stuff. That would be good to maintain work capacity. We'll see.

Arien Malec
10-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Suspended Lung sounds pretty intense.

Derek Weaver
10-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it's pretty gnarly from a balance standpoint. It turns into more of a lower body pulling exercise.

I definitely recommend them as part of a circuit.

Derek Weaver
10-12-2009, 10:34 PM
10/12/09 Monday
Going with the Cressey Stuff to try and pack on ~5 lbs if possible before I'm left w/ Bodyweight only for 2 weeks in Europe (it's worth it)

A) Front Squat for Speed 6x2 @ 115 lbs
B1) 1 Leg RDL 3x10/leg @ 80 lbs
B2) Alternating Low Incline Bench 3x6/side @ 24 kg KB
C1) Row 4x6 @ 135 lbs
C2) Split Stance Cable lift (subbed with band) 3x8/side.

Notes:
- I went a little lighter than I should have due to the beatdown I gave myself last week.
- I got called skinny the other day. As much as I enjoy the KB stuff, skinny sucks and I also realize I need a bit more meat on me from a health and wellness standpoint (skinny people get dead easier than not skinny people)
- I didn't list it, but same corrective stuff. I am interested to see how the hips/ankles do with good bodyweight stuff, mobility work and a good strength program.
- Some may wonder why I'm not just hitting Starting Strength if I want/need to put on several pounds before I take off for my trip. One reason is I don't want to do that much milk again. The other is that structurally, I felt like hell during and after. Maybe now that I actually stretch and do mobility stuff it would be different, but I'm a notorious program hopper and Cressey's stuff has always kept my attention.

Kevin Perry
10-13-2009, 06:37 AM
It sucks doesn't it being called skinny?

Derek Weaver
10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, it was more depressing because it's true. I'd gone all the way up to just under 180 lbs. about a year ago I think, and I barely scrape past 150 lbs. now. Stress is a bitch on the appetite.

I tend to have a thicker kind of build anyway, so it took people a while to figure out I'd shrunk so much. Oh well, I figure the extra weight will be good for the KB work anyway. The faster I can get to the 32's the better... it'll offer me more variety for my poundages.

Derek Weaver
10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
10/13/09 Tuesday
Warm up: Mobility, foam rolling. Real long and easy as I felt way more beat up than expected from yesterday.
1 Arm Jerk 3x3/arm @ 32 kg
Swings: 50 total per arm @ 16 kg.
Snatch Ladders: 4 (5-7-9), 60s rest. @ 16 kg
2 Hand Anyhow 2x16 kg, 10 total

Notes:
- Still all dried out from the changing weather. Odd how we're having an insane rain storm and I'm still all cracked and dry.
- Today was more like a really long warm up with a couple of heart rate spikes
- Been messing with my internet router for most of the day to add one of those Dell netbooks for access for my Dad. I hate technology.
- Sleep has sucked for a while by the way.

Arien Malec
10-13-2009, 10:06 PM
It's getting colder -- plus you probably have the heat on indoors. Both will dry things out despite the torrents....

Derek Weaver
10-14-2009, 09:30 PM
10/14/09 Wednesday
Deadlift 5x3@ 275 lbs
Reverse lunge 3x8/leg @ 95 lbs
Palloff press 3x3 @ 35 lbs
GHR 3x8

Notes:
- Deadlift wasn't heavy at all and could have been done at 300 lbs. Not optimal considering where I was a year ago, but I'll take it next week.
- Reverse lunges are death. 'Nuff said.
- Palloff Press tough, and I also had an odd angle on the "cable"

Allen Yeh
10-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Pallof press with dumbells?

Derek Simonds
10-15-2009, 03:49 AM
Did you see the OPORDER that Adam Glass wrote in his blog recently? I thought I might give that a whirl next month or maybe December depending on where I am with my press. It looked interesting enough.

Allen Yeh
10-15-2009, 04:03 AM
A KB 1/2 my bodyweight? sheesh....

Derek Weaver
10-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Allen,
I actually rigged a pulley unit in my garage. I'm not sure how safe it is, but it's okay for the time being. Have to change the angle a bit, but it's better than nothing.

Derek,
That was a cool post. That dude is an absolute beast.

Derek Weaver
10-15-2009, 08:50 PM
10/15/09 Thursday
A1) Bench Press 5x3 @ 180 lbs.
A2) Pull Up 5x3 @ 44 lbs.

B1) KB Push Press @ 53 lbs.
B2) Seated Cable Row @ 44 lbs.

C1) Band Resisted Ab Wheel 3x8
C2) Lying External Rotation 3x10/side @ 5 lbs.

Notes:
- Still a little conservative today, but for a reason. I've been really mentally fatigued lately (poor sleep, stress etc.), but I felt really physically strong. I was honestly worried more about losing focus than failing a rep. I figured none of the weights I used today were so much I couldn't handle it if I messed up.
- The Cable row was more like a seated face pull.... pulled to the armpit. The pulley system I rigged is ~ 6' high, so I've got to get a ways away to change the angle on it.
- I'm thinking of joining a legitimate gym I found out here when I get back and making the 16 week run through Maximum Strength as a way to a) get out of my dungeon gym that I spend 3-5 days/week in before or after work and b) because I like the programming Cressey has between mobility and strength. I really don't want to do Starting Strength again.

Any opinions are welcome.

Arien Malec
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
My personal opinion is that the best gym is the one you use. If the gym you are thinking of joining has people who will push/motivate you, go for it. Otherwise, you might end up spending money for no additional gain.

How do you do the band resisted ab wheel? Bands attached to the handle? Have you tried rolling a 135# bar? It's a different experience...

Allen Yeh
10-16-2009, 01:28 AM
band resisted ab wheel - It's the first video on the side of the article
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_regular_guy_offseason_strength_program_

Derek Weaver
10-16-2009, 06:42 PM
In the video he's using superbands I think. I had to use a Theraband yesterday. On a cool note, I actually ordered a couple Superbands and they arrived today. Looking forward to using them for come warm up and corrective stuff.

Derek Weaver
10-16-2009, 06:51 PM
I tend to rant and ramble a lot on training (see my Block Periodization/Conjugate Approach I thought out but failed to implement ~9 months ago rant, as well as my rant on KB Sport satisifying the 10 aspects of fitness as used by CF) and have come to some realizations that I want to put in a place that won't be lost for a while. It's basically a list of things to remind myself about when I start doing something stupid or leaving stuff out (like going only KB's and bodyweight w/ the exclusion of iron work)

1) Stretching does a body good. So does yoga. Flexibilty has taken a back seat to mobility... exactly how and why?
2) If you've worked hard and eaten a ton to put on a lot of functional mass (muscle) don't get so obsessed with getting ripped that you have to start all over again later. It's a pain in the ass and only gets harder each time through... and it's isn't healthy physically or mentally.
3) Ignoring mobility, and corrective measures is stupid. Even if you've always been healthy. It's called prehab for a reason
4) Desk jobs with high levels of stress and anxiety will kill us faster than any grain or non Paleo food will. To be honest, I'm not nearly as sold on "paleo" as I once was. One should self-assess, then decide. Not everyone needs to exclude large food groups and sources.
5) Carbs aren't evil and don't make you fat unless your genetics suck or you can't control your food. Cutting/controlling them makes it easier to adhere to a weight/fat loss program, but doesn't do actual the work for you. The CALORIE is still king.
6) "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." (Vince Lombardi. Best sports quote ever)
7) Sleep is underrated.

to be continued.

Arien Malec
10-16-2009, 07:11 PM
2) If you've worked hard and eaten a ton to put on a lot of functional mass (muscle) don't get so obsessed with getting ripped that you have to start all over again later. It's a pain in the ass and only gets harder each time through... and it's isn't healthy physically or mentally.

Yes!

Allen Yeh
10-16-2009, 07:23 PM
1) Stretching does a body good. So does yoga. Flexibilty has taken a back seat to mobility... exactly how and why?

1. Like Alywn Cosgrove has said...people often take an extreme overreaction at first...loosely paraphrased...I've been adding a lot more static stretching in throughout the day lately. I'll still do my dynamic stuff and hip flexor stuff pre-workout but save the rest of it as "filler" a break from my desk!

Kevin Perry
10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Good rant/lessons

1. totally agree, I have been stretching more since doing that running program, I feel less cramped
2. prob a good idea to completely take a break from so many programs like that too. a lot of people seem to cycle back and forth between mass gain and leaning out with little time in between ( guilty), but it is probably one of those things you have to get educated about.
3. This should be a staple in any routine.
4. no experience here
5. agree, I can't take in a lot of veggies ( only a cup a meal), not sure why just can't stomach them so I eat tons of fruit and let rice, potatoes, etc in without objection, so though i "do" paleo i guess its hypocritical to say strict paleo, oh well. only thing I stay away from are heavily sugary and salty items as these = feel like shit (any paleo objectors out there who scream blasphemy: F*ck you), I really like Jack Lalannes view on it, just eat good food and exercise lots.
6. so true
7. it should be a law to sleep 10+ hours a day

Derek Weaver
10-17-2009, 07:55 PM
10/17/09 Saturday
A1) Box Squat 4x6 @ 190 lbs
A2) Feet Elevated Push up 3x12
B1) KB Row 3x12/side @ 24 kg
B2) Walking Lunge 3x6/side @ 24 kg for 1 set, 16 kg for 2 sets
C1) Land Mine 3x5/side @ 15 lbs on bar.
C2) Supine No Money w/ SuperBand 3x4 second hold
D1) 3X40 yard farmer walk 2x16 kg.

Notes:
- Tough day. As I've said over and over, I've done so little weighted lower body stuff that I end up wiped out by stuff that would be warm up sets in the past.
- Lunges were torture. I think I can get all 3 sets with the 24's next week, but this week the volume wore on me.
- Farmer's walks actually totaled somewhere around 150 yards total including the walks and the distance I had to go to get to my "runway".
- Not sure where bodyweight is. I'll weigh tomorrow, but wouldn't want to see it higher than 155 lbs. Anything more would be far too fast for the weight gain.

Arien Malec
10-17-2009, 11:28 PM
The weighted stuff comes back quickly. One of the advantages of coming back from a layoff is being able to milk linear progress for a while...

Derek Weaver
10-21-2009, 11:08 AM
A little behind on this thing...

Monday 10/19/09
A1) Front Squat for Speed 6x2 @ 120 lbs
B1) 1 Leg RDL 3x10/leg @ 75 lbs
B2) Low Incline Bench 3x6/side @ 24 kg KB
C1) Row 4x6 @ 140 lbs
C2) Cable Chop-Split Stance 3x8/side @ 35 lbs.

Notes:
- Felt I could have gone heavier in a couple of spots, but still ended up with a fair bit of DOMS. Not necessarily in indicator of progress, but I'd hate to think of how I would have felt going 20 lbs heavier on the FS and Rows.
- Had to sub the split stance chops for split stance lifts. It's all poor man's stuff with the "cable" set up I made.

Tuesday 10/20/09
Conditioning day, but I felt a little under the weather and stuck with some dynamic flexbility/mobility stuff. Focusing on movement still got the heart rate a little up.

Wednesday 10/21/09
A1) Deadlift 5x3 @ 270 lbs.
B1) Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat (RFESS) 3x8/leg, @ 2x16 kg KB in rack
C1) Palloff Press 3x3/side-10 second hold @ 35 lbs
D1) GHR 3x8

Notes:
- I wanted more than a 5 lb jump this week on the deads since they're still weak as all hell, but this was a morning workout and my CNS wasn't all the way awake until I was done with the deads.
- Subbed the RFESS for reverse lunges for a couple reasons a) they're awesome. b) I had some balance issues last week and these are as difficult on the working leg's musculature in my humble opinion and also, I think, may help to progress to a full reverse lunge c) I like the added hip flexor stretch at the bottom of the rep that I feel.
- Been adding a fair bit of foam rolling before I start warming up. A good call i think.

Derek Simonds
10-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Looking good Derek. I love to foam roll before warmup.

Derek Weaver
10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks. I've noticed my warm ups are so much better if I just spend maybe 5 minutes rolling.

I've been doing some glute activation as well. On my 2 off days I'll do the stuff from that T-Nation article. On workout days I'll hit up a couple other things before and during the workout.

I've left the corrective stuff off my log but am still doing it. It's made me realize how crappy I move.

Derek Weaver
10-25-2009, 01:45 AM
gotta catch up a little..

10/21/09 Thursday
A1) Bench Press 5x3 @ 185 lbs
A2) Pull Up 5x3 @ 50 lbs
B1) DB Push Press 3x8 @ 50 lbs
B2) DB Row 3x8 @ 55 lbs
C2) Lying Ext. Rotation 3x10/side @ 5 lbs.

Notes:
- The DB Push Press was way harder than the KB. Odd.
- I've always been a good presser whether military or bench in that I experience a much smaller strength drop off after a lay off from the movements. On the other odd side... My legs were always a very strong base, but I lose strength and size in them fastest.

10/22/09 Thursday
Conditioning:
5 minute warm up. 5x2 minute intervals with a 1:1 work to rest ratio. 5 minute cool down.

10/24/09 Saturday
A1) Box Squat 4x6 @ 200 lbs.
A2) Feet Elevated Push UP 3x12
B1) KB Row 3x12 @ 24 kg
B2) Lunge 3x6/side @ 16 kg
C1) Land Mine 3x5/side
C2) Supine No Money w/ Band 3x4 sec hold.
D1) Farmer's Walk 3x40 yards @ 24 kg x 2
Notes:
- Late night workout. My buddy from the last ~15 years or so has been out of work for about a year and decided that this place sucks and is going to New Zealand for a year on a guest worker program or something. I think it's awesome, but the going away party ran a little late and thus, my first rep went up around midnight. Dedication (or a glutton for punishment)

Derek Weaver
10-26-2009, 11:03 PM
10/26/09 Monday
A) Front Squat for Speed 6x2 @ 130 lbs
B1) 1 Leg RDL 3x10/leg @ 80 lbs
B2) Low Incline Bench Alternating 3x6/side @ 55 lb dumbbell
C1) Row 4x6 @ 150 lbs
C2) Split Stance Chop 3x8/side @ 35 lbs

Notes:
- Made a couple good weight jumps. That's a good thing. I could have gone for more. That's a bad thing.
- On the low inclines I did them with one dumbbell, completed 6 reps, switched hands. Harder than 2 kb's in terms of stabilization. Rotary strength is a killer on this movement.
- Intentionally trying to push the envelope in the next 3 workouts before I leave next week.
- When I get back I'll hit a couple of workouts as kind of a GPP phase in preparation for what I believe will be the 16 week Maximum Strength program.

Allen Yeh
10-27-2009, 03:23 AM
What do you think of the Off-Season guy program thus far?

Derek Weaver
10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I think it's pretty good. This is only the 3rd week I think and I'm leaving for two weeks this coming Tuesday so it's tough to say. However, I do think really highly of Cressey's programming.

I've managed to put a couple of pounds on and feel better overall. I actually got his Maximum STrength book and have been incorporating one of his two warm ups in as my joint and mobility prep stuff.

Between that and the low level corrective stuff between sets and supersets I'm feeling much better than I did a few weeks ago. And I still have a long way to go.

Allen Yeh
10-27-2009, 11:35 AM
That book is great.

Derek Weaver
10-27-2009, 11:51 PM
10/27/09 Tuesday
Conditioning: Intervals- 6x2 minutes. Work to rest ratio = 1:1

Between warm ups and cool down total time was exactly 30 minutes.

Notes:
- Not that fun.

Derek Weaver
10-28-2009, 10:28 AM
[U]10/28/09 Wednesday[U]
A1) Deadlift 5x3 @ 290
B1) RFESS 3x8/leg @ 80
C1) Palloff Press 3x3-10 sec hold @ 35
D1) GHR 3x8

Notes:
- Odd, I almost threw up after this one.
- The deadlift was supposed to be 280, meathead math added 10 lbs to the bar. Not a bad thing.

Derek Weaver
10-29-2009, 08:39 PM
10/29/09 Thursday
A1) Bench 5x3 @190
A2) Pull Up 5x3 @ BW + 24 kg
B1) Dumbbell Push press (1 arm) 3x8 @ 55 lbs
B2) 1 Arm DB Row 3x8
C2) Lying Ext. Rotation 3x10 @ 5 lbs

Notes:
- Wanted more on the DB stuff, but I was toast after the first pairing.
- Weight is up a few pounds from 3 weeks ago. It'll come back down when I'm on my trip, but that's okay. Better than dropping several pounds from where I was.
- I want to get after it BIG on Saturday. We'll see if the nervous system will be up to.

Kevin Perry
10-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Can you do a full roll out on the ab wheel? I still can't do one of those

Derek Weaver
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Are you talking about from the feet or knees?

I can get 2 or 3 from the feet and a fair amount from the knees.

Kevin Perry
10-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Yea from the feet

Derek Weaver
10-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, from the feet it's a really tough exercise. I got there by doing what I guess would account for eccentrics to whatever range I could handle for "sets" of whatever felt fine that day. Then I'd extend the range a bit and eventually got to where I could do the full rollout and back up.

I'd really like to hit sets of 10 from the feet, but that's gonna be pretty rough.

Arien Malec
10-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Ross Enamait recommends to do partial rollouts to a wall, and to do progressions by moving the feet back. You have to be careful with this one due to the risk of hyperextension.

Derek -- when you say full rollouts, are you talking to superman plank position?

Derek Weaver
10-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes, I can get to a superman plank position. I gave it a go today and got one. After my training session of the day. It would be pretty awesome to get to 10 of them someday.

10/31/09 Saturday
A1) Front Box Squat 4x6 @ 185 lbs
A2) Feet Elevated Push up 3x12
B1) Double KB Bent Row 2x24 kg
B2) Walking Lunge, 2x16 kg
C1) Land Mine 3x5/side
C2) Supine No Money w/ band 3x3-4sec hold.
D1) Farmer's Walk 3x40 yard

3x3 minute rounds on the heavy bag.

Notes:
- I went with the front squat for a couple reasons. I sit all day and want to avoid flexion at all costs right now. I feel like the back squat, even the olympic or High Bar squat has a greater change of causing or ending up in flexion. the other is my shoulders don't always feel that great after sitting all day. I like to front squat.
- Similar note, with all the mobility, activation etc. work I felt like the front squat was much more "whole body".
- Last workout before I leave for Europe on Tuesday. I'll be busy the next 2 days getting ready to go.

Brian Stone
11-01-2009, 04:46 AM
- I went with the front squat for a couple reasons. I sit all day and want to avoid flexion at all costs right now. I feel like the back squat, even the olympic or High Bar squat has a greater change of causing or ending up in flexion. the other is my shoulders don't always feel that great after sitting all day. I like to front squat. Interesting. Has this been a nagging thing for you or more recent? You ended up just primarily switching to FS to avoid it?

Derek Weaver
11-01-2009, 08:36 AM
It's more of a concern through the lower back. I had my shoulder scoped ~6 years ago and the lbbs tends to aggravate it a little. I can bench and press over my head fine, but the "trap" tends to fire things up.

On another interesting note, I can deadlift with no problem, but that wasn't the case for about 6 months. I was constantly rounding through the lumbar spine on submaximal loads, and I am 100% certain this has to do with my desk job.

Basically, the front squat is harder to mess up, and I don't have any in person coaching to ensure I don't screw up my back squats.

Arien Malec
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes, I can get to a superman plank position. I gave it a go today and got one.

That's no joke -- I can do reps on standing rollouts to about plank position, but anything beyond that I collapse on. It takes real whole body strength.

Derek Weaver
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
That's no joke -- I can do reps on standing rollouts to about plank position, but anything beyond that I collapse on. It takes real whole body strength.

This is true. I really struggle through the triceps of all places getting into the superman plank. I may give it another go later on when I'm not as wiped out.

One does indeed need to be careful about hyper extending the back when getting into this position. Do 2 or 3 singles and you can call it an ab workout for the day.

Derek Simonds
11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I still haven' worked up the courage to try those rollouts. Call me sacred. Training is looking good. How is this cycle coming for you, is it hitting everything you wanted?

Derek Weaver
11-02-2009, 06:38 PM
This little 3 week Regular Guy plan went really well. Every workout was a good one, and I made some nice progress considering the situation. All in all I added ~3-4 lbs which was what I was hoping for. A nice steady 1 lb./week type of gain.

Some more thoughts before I drop off the grid for my 2 week Euro Adventure:
- Mass gain should be controlled if possible. The GFH principle/approach works quickly, but can make the resulting approach at fat loss disastrous for previous improvements. Frustration and impatience makes this more difficult.
- I posted a comment in Kevin's log that got me thinking on this one. As stresses build up and recovery slows due to age or a crappy work situation (or other situations that create an all around aura of suck), I am starting to question how long the trainee can count on linear progression in the big lifts. If one were to start very low in terms of max. weights, then for a while I'd think. If you're looking to work closer to max's (80%+) I don't see this happening. I'm wondering if an intermediate approach almost becomes more necessary the older the trainee or suck of the recovery situation.
- Single leg training is not for wimps. It saves backs and improves training longevity. And it's fun.
- Keeping track of intake isn't that hard once you've done it for a couple of weeks. If you know what you need to eat in order to lose, add about half of that plus a couple snacks or an extra meal and you should gain at a decent rate.

Take care everyone, I'll be back on here towards the last week or so of the month.

Allen Yeh
11-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Have fun!

Derek Simonds
11-03-2009, 05:57 AM
First off best of luck on your adventure! When you get we have to talk about linear progression and the aura of suck!

Arien Malec
11-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I am starting to question how long the trainee can count on linear progression in the big lifts. If one were to start very low in terms of max. weights, then for a while I'd think. If you're looking to work closer to max's (80%+) I don't see this happening. I'm wondering if an intermediate approach almost becomes more necessary the older the trainee or suck of the recovery situation.

Rip makes the same comment, that the older the trainee, the earlier the need for intermediate progression.

Have fun in Europe!

Derek Weaver
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. The trip was amazing. The bummer is that I had to come back. If I had to rank Rome on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, it would get a 30. The sites are outstanding, the food is amazing and the people are like no other.
I got a cold the last couple days of the trip and am still kinda wiped out. Got back to my house around 11 last night.

"light workout" to get the blood flowing, pump the endorphins etc.
A1) Front Squat 95x5, 115x5, 135x5
B1) Bench Press 95x5, 135x5, 155x10
C1) Row 95x5, 135x5, 145x8

Felt good so did this but only 2 sets through instead of 5 from the recent article on T-Mag.
Goblet Squats: 5 x 10
Pull-ups: 5 x 10 (or as many as possible)
Kettlebell French presses (hold the horns): 5 x 10
Thick bar curls: 5 x 10

Notes:
- I am an idiot. totally wiped out. Still sick should have ended with the basics, the 2 sets through that circuit were stupid. Oh well. I'm not going to do anything again til Friday I think.

Derek Simonds
11-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Note to self .... Jet Lagged, Sick, Wiped Out DON'T DO CONDITIONING CIRCUITS!!! :D

Glad you had a great time, hopefully there are some cool pictures you can share. Rest up and get back on a good eating plan asap.

Derek Weaver
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah, that circuit wasn't really conditioning in the classic CF metcon/puke fest, but it was enough after the lay off and other factors you mentioned. I'm still working through the 300+ pictures I took to figure out a couple of the best ones.

I could use some opinions on a couple different training ideas I've got going as Maximum Strength and the requirement of a commercial gym, or at least one more broadly equipped than my garage is a no-go for now. I'll post up a couple things when I get a chance. Hopefully who ever stops by will give some opinions. I'll be the pseudo experiment for the next several months.

Allen Yeh
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
I liked the Maximum Strength book a lot, solid programming.

Ok to say a little bit more, the thing with Maximum Strength is you really have to have 4 solid days a week and a gym with a decent amount of equipment to be able to the program justice. You can do the program with 3 days a week of course but then you start mixing up your weeks in terms of reps and sets.

Derek Weaver
11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
That's what I was thinking with Maximum Strength. I'm hoping in the next couple of months to make a move in terms of my living situation and "career" (as in actually have a job that would lead to a career instead of what I do now)... along with the holidays and I don't want to put anymore money out (even if it's like $30/month or whatever a standard 24 hr fitness-type of gym costs).

I've got some thoughts on what to do with my programming, but I'll hold off for a day or two as I continue to line up goals.

Friday 11/20/09
Front Squat 3x5 - 135, 145, 155
KB Row + TRX Suspended Push up 3x12

The Dan John BB stuff from T-Mag recently:

Goblet Squats: 2 x 10
Pull-ups: 2 x 10 (or as many as possible)
Kettlebell French presses (hold the horns): 2 x 10
Thick bar curls: 2 x 10

Notes:
-Felt better today. Paced myself a bit more with the finishing stuff. Got away from conditioning and wanted to get meaningful reps in without increasing the effects of my cold again.
- I feel like I'm going to be in a good spot for actual hard sessions in just a day or two. Kept it easier again today to kind of "ramp up"

Arien Malec
11-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey -- welcome back -- glad you enjoyed Europe.

Derek Weaver
11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Thank you Arien. Rome is an amazing place. If I had to recommend between Rome and Barcelona, I'd make Rome the runaway favorite with Barcelona a distant second.... and I thought Barcelona was amazing. Rome is just that spectacular.

11/23/09 Monday
Max Effort Chins (3 rm)= 80.5 lbs.
A1) KB Floor Press 24 kg. 2 x Max Reps = 13, 14
B1) KB Bent Row 2x24 kg 3 x 12
B2) Band Pull Apart 3x12
C1) KB Shrug 2x24 kg 3x15
C2) Barbell Curl 70 lbs 3x 10, 9, 9.
D1) Ab Wheel 3x12

Notes:
- Westside for Skinny Bastards influenced. I wanted a little more balance between lifting and conditioning. Hopefully I can get KBs back in at least 1 day per week.
- For some of my goals right now, I figured a more "power bodybuilding" type of scheme would work. I went with the original template last time and bombed out. I am hoping to keep interested long enough this time around to give it an honest 8-12 week (or more) go 'round.

Derek Weaver
11-24-2009, 08:08 PM
11/24/09 Tuesday
3 Rep Max Effort Front Squat = 215 lbs
A1) RFESS 3x6-12 @ 80 lbsx 8 x 8 x 8 (per leg)
B1) RDL 3x8-12 @ 115 lbs x10 x 10 x 10
C) TRX Flutters + HLR's. 2xmax of each movement. Lost count. Wasn't much.

Notes:
- I'm actually okay with the FS 3rm. It could be worse. Plus I think I had an honest 10-15 lbs spare had I warmed up better.
- RDLs were surprisingly tough at 115 lbs. I guess because of the RFESS's prior.
- I'll repeat. Unilateral leg training is the shiznit.

Arien Malec
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Crap -- nice front squat!

Allen Yeh
11-25-2009, 05:01 AM
RFESS? which is?

Derek Weaver
11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Rear foot elevated split squat. Aka Bulgarian split squat

Derek Weaver
11-26-2009, 03:58 PM
11/26/09 Thursday- Happy Thanksgiving
Repetition Effort 3x Max
Block push ups- 21, 16, 18 (weird)

A1) Chins (+ 7.5 lbs) 3x8-12 (10, 10, 8)
A2) Band Pull Parts 3x8-12 (12, 12, 12)
B1) KB Military Press (2x44 lbs, 2x36 lbs) 4x8-12 ( 10, 10, 10, 10)
C1) KB Shrugs 2x24 kg 3-15
C2) Band Pull Downs 3x20

Notes:
- The chins weight being 7.5 lbs was to add a little weight since I can do 12 chins without a problem, but I figured 10 lbs from the get-go would compromise reps in the 3rd set. I was right.
- This sucked, but I wanted to get it done fast before the holiday really started. PWO meal to come.....

Derek Weaver
11-27-2009, 10:29 PM
11/27/09 Friday
Squat Jumps 6x3 to ~8 feet. Palms on Ceiling
Step ups 2x16 kg KB 10/leg x1
Reverse Lunge 2x16 KG KB 2x10/leg
GHR 3xMax (10,11,10)

Notes:
- This day will normally fall on a Saturday, but I kind of wanted to see how I felt in case I have something to do on Saturday that prevents a workout. Work commitments play a big role in available time on Saturday usually as well.
- the Jumps were good. I measured the ceiling at a shade of 8 feet and was able to get my palms on the ceiling for all but a couple of jumps
- On the GHRs I got the concentrics on sets 2 and 3, but started to fail on the negatives.

Derek Weaver
11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
11/30/09 Monday
3 Rep Max Effort Chins = 78 lbs + 5 lbs from last week
A1) 2 x Max Reps @ 2 x 24 kg KB Floor Press = 16, 130
B1) 2 x 24 kg Bent Rows 3x8-12 = 13, 10, 9
B2) Band Pull Aparts 3x8-12 = 12, 12, 12
C1) 2 x 24 kg KB Shrugs 3x8-15= 15, 15, 15
C2) Barbell Curl 70 lbs 3x8-12 = 12, 12, 12

Notes:
- Good 5 lbs on the ME Chins. That's ~ BW + 50%. I feel like I don't suck anymore, but I'm still clawing back to previous levels.
- Accessory stuff was cool. I actually like the higher reps on the accessory stuff this time around.
- I'm considering working actual tempo on the accessory stuff. ME work doesn't really lend itself to tempos like 5030 (or however you want to notate it).

Derek Weaver
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
12/1/09 Tuesday
3 Rep Max Effort = 220 lbs + five lbs from last week.
A1) RFESS 3x8-12 @ 75 lbs = 12, 12, 12
B1) GHR 3x8-12 = 12, 8, 8
C) HLR 3x 12, 8, 8

Notes:
- I thought I'd get more on the front squats. I still made a jump on a maximal effort lift, but I still think I can warm up better and hand in closer to a 235 lb as of now. In several weeks to months I should be able to get much more.
- Made the posterior chain move GHR's today. I'm not sure what it is, but I didn't feel all that great hitting the RDL's.
- BW holding steady ~160 lbs. If I climb up into the 170's again, it needs to happen over the course of ~ 3 months instead of 1 month like last time. Once my weight finally budged last year there was no stopping it. We'll see though... around my family this year there are a lot of baked goods that are awful tough to turn down. Leads to "mass gain" pretty easy.

Derek Simonds
12-02-2009, 11:11 AM
As Justin said on 70's Big they are giving calories away for free right now! I put on a solid 3.5 lb's over Thanksgiving alone and IF and that is a big IF I can get the balls I am going to drink a carton of eggnog a day until Christmas break... I could be well over 200 first of the year. Might need some new pants.

Solid Front Squat. I am testing my BS max the 14th or 15th and I might just have to have a go at the front afterward to see where I am.

Training is looking good.

Derek Weaver
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
70s big is an awesome site. A carton of eggnog per day would be hefty.

I feel so much better front squatting right now over back squatting it's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it's a mobility thing.

Kevin Perry
12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Holy Crap, a carton of eggnog per day? That is brave. 70's Big is an awesome site though, it justifies a burger and milk shake for postworkout on deadlift days.

George Mounce
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Holy Crap, a carton of eggnog per day? That is brave. 70's Big is an awesome site though, it justifies a burger and milk shake for postworkout on deadlift days.

What is wrong with a carton a day?

Kevin Perry
12-02-2009, 06:36 PM
What is wrong with a carton a day?

I've never been able to stomach egg nog, get sick very easily with it so a carton makes me gasp

Derek Weaver
12-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I don't really care for egg nog either. Of course with the holidays coming it may be a decent time to give it another shot.

12/2/09 Wednesday
5x 1:30 "runs" with a 1:1 work to rest ratio.

Notes:
- Warm up and cool down took total time to 25 minutes.
- This was more like active recovery for the legs and conditioning for the CV system with the complete lack of any conditioning I've been doing.
- Gotta work out in the morning before work since I'm going to the Warriors game tomorrow night. That'll be interesting. I rarely if ever work out in the morning anymore.

Derek Weaver
12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
12/3/09 Thursday
Early AM Workout. Up at 4:30 am, in the garage by 5:50. Done by 6:45.

Max Reps Block Push ups x3 ( 18, 15, 14)
A1) Chins + 10 lbs 3x8-12 ( 10, 10, 8)
A2) Band Pull Aparts 3x8-12 ( 12, 12, 12)
B1) KB Military Press 2 @ 2x44 lbs (8, 8) 2 @ 2x36 lbs (8, 8)
C1) Kb Shrug 2x24 kg x3 ( 15, 15, 15)
C2) Band Pressdown x3 ( 20, 20, 20)

Notes:
- Not the best workout. I upped the weight a touch on the chins for reps, but just about everything else was stagnant or not as good.
- BW is fluctuating due to hydration etc. I keep a loose count of what's coming in everyday and am not shy about the carbs, so I can get a fair amount of bloat from day to day depending on the workout, how I'm feeling etc. Some days it comes out to a little over 200 grams. Others.... quite a bit higher. Protein staying at minimum 1 gram/lb. Fat anywhere between 70 grams-100 grams. Cals working out from anywhere between 2800-4000. The 4000 calorie days... well, obviously the macro ranges are insane. Pretty wild, but the cals have kind of naturally cycled and I'm not getting overly pudgy. Even with the vacation and attempt at weight gain before I left.
-Still got abz, just a touch blurrier, and I keep reminding myself that I was on vacation and lived it up. No complaints.

Derek Weaver
12-04-2009, 10:27 PM
12/4/09 Friday
Squat Jumps 5x2 to target ~ 8 feet. Same as last week for height.
Split Stance Jumps 3x8/leg
GHR 3x8 holding the negative.

Notes:
- Quick stuff. Had some heavy bag stuff I wanted to do, but my hands were sore quick. My gloves are getting worn out. May need to get a new pair, or my hands need to get conditioned. I'd prefer not to get arthritis in my hands from a heavy bag... so maybe new gloves are in order.
- Did this "dynamic" stuff today as I've got a big couple weekends coming up. Tomorrow, my last college buddy who's still actually in college is heading to the city with a ton of girls from his department for a grad/winter send off and a group of us who have been friends since the first couple weeks of college are meeting up. It should be awesome. Whenever we get together it's basically a bunch of washed up fraternity guys acting like we're all 18 or 19 year old pledges again, but not as broke.
- My buddy taking so long to graduate makes me think of Tommy Boy.

Derek Simonds
12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Tommy Boy! Enjoy the weekend and buy new gloves for sure. By the way I made it through one carton of eggnog yesterday and haven't been able to get into one today, yet...

Derek Weaver
12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Eggnog... gave it a try. Couldn't do it. I'll try again when I'm not so hung over. That was probably a bad idea.

12/7/09 Monday
3 Rep Max Effort Chins = 85 lbs. + 6.5 lbs from last week.
A1) KB Floor Press 2xmax reps = 20, 17
B1) KB Bent Row 2x24 3x8-12 = 13, 11, 10
B2) Band Pull Apart 3x8-12 = 10, 11, 10
C1) KB Shrug 2x24 kg 8-15= 15, 15, 15
C2) Barbell Curl 1 @ 75 lbs x8, 2 @ 65 lbs x8, 8

Notes:
- I didn't think I drank all that much this weekend. Until I woke up yesterday.
- Even with all the booze and suboptimal sleep and food I hit a nice PR on the Chins. I think that's an all-time PR. BW a shade above 162 puts me at over 50% + BW
- I may deload next week depending on how I feel at the end of this week. I'm feeling good so far, but I'll play it by ear. If I'm wiped out at the end of this week I'll back off for a week. I hadn't done much ME work of any sort for a while. I may actually deload, then start the next ME pool of exercises on a Sunday considering that New Year's is on a Thursday. Goofy I know... but I'm a geek.

Allen Yeh
12-08-2009, 03:29 AM
That is a heck of a 3RM for chins!

Derek Simonds
12-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Agreed. Apparently that cyclist was right when he said he was out drinking Jack with his team and that is why his test levels were so high.

Arien Malec
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Eggnog... gave it a try. Couldn't do it. I'll try again when I'm not so hung over. That was probably a bad idea.

Next time combine your efforts with spiked eggnog... Works for me.

Derek Weaver
12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the mentions on the chins.

Front Squats didn't go as well today.

12/8/09 Tuesday
3 RM Effort Front Squat= pulled up at 205 x2. Felt it in my lower abdomen. Hit a few triples @ 185, then hit 3x3 @ 185 on the HBBS, really fired the glutes. Easy stuff, but wanted to get a touch more volume and test some stuff.
A1) RFESS 3x8/leg @ 95 lbs. good jump, lost a few reps, but added 20 lbs.
B1) GHR 3x8-12 (10, 7-huh?, 9)
C1) HLR 2xmax (10, 10)
Notes:
- The lack of a true max effort enabled me to get a little more on the RFESS in terms of weight.
- I want to back squat again, preferably high bar at this point. Next cycle I think I'll plug 'em in for the ME stuff. I felt like I regained enough Thoracic mobility, hip mobility etc. to be safe.
- Crappy sleep last night may have played a big role here as well.

Kevin Perry
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
What do you prefer, high bar or low bar? Is low bar what you used last time?

Derek Weaver
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Last time was low bar and I think I topped out at 315x5x3 with a below parralel squat confirmed by a third party. I'll look though.

At this point I prefer front squats over either but when I do backsquat it'll be high bar. Range of motion, as well as comfort on the t-spine from sitting all day for work is the reason for the choice

Arien Malec
12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Derek -- What are your goals these days?

Derek Weaver
12-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Right now.... just trying to increase strength week by week and maintain just enough aerobic capacity to keep mass gains controlled and also not die of a heart attack at 26. I need/want to get bigger and stronger, but I don't want to get like last time where I felt fat (I wasn't, but I felt fat and beat up) after Starting Strength. Due to work, stress, random sleep schedules (hence typing this at ~12:30am), I've got more of a power bodybuilding, intermediate set up looking for maximal gains week to week instead of every second day like SS.

there is a possible athletic goal on the horizon depending on how well I injury proof myself. There's also the possibility of a new adventure that could get in the way of said athletic goal.

12/10/09 Thursday
2 Sets Max Reps-Block Push ups= 21, 16
A1) Chins + 10 Lbs 3x 8-12= 12, 10, 10
A2) Band Pull Aparts 3x 8-12 = 12, 12, 12.
B1) Barbell Press Ladders 4 x (2, 4, 6). 1 @ 95 lbs, 1 @ 85, 2 @ 75
C1) Shrug 2x24 kg KB 3 x 8-15= 15, 15, 15
C2) Band Pull Downs 3 x 15-25= 20, 15, 15
D1) Weighted Sit ups on the GHR (not full range) 35 lbs = 12, 10, 10

Notes:
- Got a 3 day weekend planned. Went after it hard today. Felt good going in so I went for it on a couple things. Added a few reps on a couple things and just "felt" the workout a touch better.
- The Press Ladders were rough. I figured I'd be able to squeeze in more overall volume with more weight. Success. Rough, but success. I'd been getting 8 reps with the KBs, 2 sets usually @ 44 lbs, then 2 @ 36 lbs. Today I got a total of 48 reps (compated to 32 total) with more weight.
- I realized that between the presses, pushups and band press downs that this was a wicked day for the elbow extensors. Holy crap. I didn't think too well on this one.

Derek Weaver
12-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey, anyone know of a decent way to set up a floor press? I don't have a power rack and can't really lift a bar with any kind of legit weight straight off the floor.

I've thought of buckets, but they tip over. I could build a couple boxes, but that may be a bit labor intensive and take up a lot of space.

Arien Malec
12-11-2009, 06:52 AM
I use bumpers, fwiw.

Derek Weaver
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I did before, but I had a hard time getting under the bar with any sort of decent load.

I may be able to get a couple cinder blocks set up, but I dont' want to jack the barbell knurling up.

Derek Simonds
12-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Do you have loadable DB's or heavy DB's. Most all of the floor pressing I do is with DB's.

Derek Weaver
12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
It's awful tough to do max effort DB floor presses by yourself. There's the idea/video that Defranco posted on youtube a while ago, but I don't have 3 benches.

I'll tinker tomorrow and see what I come up with.

I'm dropping the ME but still starting with the core lifts for something like 3x 5-10 depending on the lift for this week. That'll give me a chance to test out new ME movements for next week.

Derek Weaver
12-14-2009, 10:37 PM
12/14/09 Monday
A) Chins 5x3 @ BW + 25 lbs.
B) KB Floor Press 2xmax (2x24 kg)= 18, 13
C1) KB Row 2x24 kg 3x8-12 = 12, 12, 12
C2) Band Pull Apart 3x12
D1) KB Shrug 2x24 kg 3x8-15 = 15, 14, 14
D2) Barbell Curl 3x8-15 = 8, 9, 8
E1) Weighted Situps 3x12, 36 lbs.

Notes:
- No ME stuff. I felt good today.
- I'm trying to think about the ME lower movement next week. I'm not sure I feel comfortable back squatting without a cage and training partner. But, I'd like to squat. I could deadlift, but I'm not sure if I've got things hashed out enough with my hips to hit max effort stuff on the deads either. We'll see.
- I need to be more consistent with ab work. Plain and simple.

Derek Weaver
12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
12/15/09 Tuesday
Back Squat (high bar) 5x3 @ 185 lbs- nice and easy. finding the groove
RFESS 3x8 @ 95 lbs
GHR 3x8

Notes:
- Working the Back Squat again checking hip, and ankle readiness in addition to mobility of the T-Spine. Felt fine. Since I'm deloading I kept it real light and easy. Maybe something like 65% of 1rm.
- It's surprising how much more weight I can handle with relative ease on the RFESS without drilling myself on a ME lift prior. Duh.

Derek Weaver
12-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Good article by Mike Boyle. Love him or hate him, he's got a point in this one.

http://mboyle1959.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/only-one-body/

Derek Simonds
12-18-2009, 04:01 AM
It's awful tough to do max effort DB floor presses by yourself. There's the idea/video that Defranco posted on youtube a while ago, but I don't have 3 benches.

I'll tinker tomorrow and see what I come up with.

I'm dropping the ME but still starting with the core lifts for something like 3x 5-10 depending on the lift for this week. That'll give me a chance to test out new ME movements for next week.

When I do ME Floor Presses I just do one side at a time with the DB's Make it much easier. Just a thought and it adds some unilateral work. :D

Derek Weaver
12-18-2009, 08:33 PM
When I do ME Floor Presses I just do one side at a time with the DB's Make it much easier. Just a thought and it adds some unilateral work. :D

This is a good point. I'd prefer to do unilateral pressing on the bench though. On the floor there is still an added twist to the movement by doing it unilaterally, but it's intensified on the bench. No harm in trying though.

On a different note. I have training ADD again. Well, not really. Let me explain.

So, as I've written, I tend to program jump... badly. I programmed these last 4 weeks, and before that did I think 6 or 7 weeks of the Regular guy Off Season Program (Cressey) prior to my Euro Trip. I have been trying to figure out new max effort exercises all week that I felt would be good.

Max effort bench for upper body is a bad idea since I train alone. So I was thinking overhead. But then I'm just rotating between a couple exercises and fear the development of imbalances. For lower body it's either deads, which will destroy me after a while, back squats (no cage to squat in, and again, I train alone. bad if I get stuck in the hole), or front squats (not a bad choice and really my preference to squat right now). So, while it's not a big deal, it's still a sticking point in the rotation of exercises.

The other side is that between 3 rm and 5 rm training, along with the volume of the WS4SB template (I programmed on the lower end as well) left me crashed after 3 weeks. I deloaded this week, kept all conditoning out and still felt like hell. I rested yesterday (usually a workout day) and did this:

TESTING FOR 5/3/1
Back Squat (high bar) 205 x 13 reps x .033 + 205 = 293.
- Training Max= 293 x .9= 264 (make it 265 for simplicity)
Bench Press 175 x 11 x .033 + 175 = 238
- Training Max = 238 x .9 = 215
Deadlift 235 x 12 x .033 + 235 = 328
- Training Max = 328 x .09 = 295
Press 95 x 13 x .033 + 95 = 135
- Training Max = 135 x .9 = 122 (make it 120 for simplicity)
All these are quite low compared to previous poundages I'd used for multiple sets of multiple reps in the past, but Wendler says start really freaking low. So that's fine.

Why 5/3/1 all of a sudden? 1) Flexibilty. I'll start with a rough plan that Dan John just wrote up on T-Mag, except I'll leave out the high rep back squats for now. maybe throw them in on the "bonus day" assuming I get one in each week. If I feel good, I may expand it, but I'm not concerned. It seems that's the beauty of the program. 2) I was so sore and tired from the previous programming that I had a hard time doing anything else. I figure I should get plenty of volume, and leave enough left over for some combative stuff, sprinting if I feel good etc. 3) Built in regulation. Every 4 weeks I have to deload and I know how to do it. In the past I've gone by "feel". Not always a good idea.

Here's the catch. I need some of you guys to keep my accountable. A legitimate effort into or through March barring an injury or unforseen circumstance is the only acceptable length of time here.

Arien Malec
12-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Here's the catch. I need some of you guys to keep my accountable. A legitimate effort into or through March barring an injury or unforseen circumstance is the only acceptable length of time here.

Done! 5/3/1 consistently until March. No exceptions.

Derek Simonds
12-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Oh I will also keep you accountable. That was a good article by Dan John and I liked the way he did it over 2 days a week. I am sticking with 4 days a week and going absolutely bat crap crazy by adding in the high rep squats. We shall see what happens. I am going to do 6 weeks of the high rep squats and then take them out. When I take them out I am going to squat as an accessory on DL days and DL as an accessory on squat days. Both of them will be higher reps. I am also going to commit to do the program the way I laid it out through March.

The other thing I did differently this time was I added 1 structured day of grip training and I laid out my ab work for each day in advance. Lately I have just been doing whatever for abs or doing nothing. Not acceptable long term.

You can do it 3 months is nothing. Blink and it will be gone.

Derek Weaver
12-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks Derek. I've got a little hybrid of sorts. Also 2 days/week but the layout Wendler has in his book. Then if I feel good on the "bonus" day I'll hit the high rep squats. Otherwise it will be some basic hypertrophy stuff.

I've laid out the first cycle of poundages and accessory lifts. Going with boring but big. I guess I kind of cherrypicking ideas from DJs article. I just hope I recover better.

Oh, and goals. Finally hit 400 on the dead. Bodyweight press. Both should be doable soon. Especially the dead based on past progress