PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Garage Experiment

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Kevin Perry
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Nice, I'll be watching your progress too.

Edit: Hey I just read that article but I got some Q's on it. Did he keep everything from 5-3-1 basically the same just replaced the back squats with front squats for the strength portion and moved the back squats for high rep stuff? And the back squat falls on both days?

Derek Weaver
12-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, pretty much. In th discussion there's some clarification. Basically, warm up with complexes. Then hit the big two (front squats + bench and deads + press). Bonus day is stuff you feel you missed. I'm keeping assistance stuff on the actual lifting days and will try and sprint if recovery allows.

I guess the DJ article was more inspiration than anything. I'm looking forward to the flexbility and fatigue management.

Derek Simonds
12-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Are you going to eat the peanut butter sandwiches? I am looking forward to that part of it...

Derek Weaver
12-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Yup. I'm pretty pumped

Derek Weaver
12-21-2009, 10:20 PM
12/21/09 Monday
Squat 170 x 5, 200 x 5, 200 x 10 (I'll explain), 225 x 5+ (8)
- Assistance: Squat 4x10 (145) + GHR 4x10
Bench Press 140 x 5, 160 x 5, 180 x 5+ (7- no spotter)
- Assistance: Bench 5x 10 (125) + 24 KG KB Bent Row 5x10

Notes:-
- On the squats, I forgot to change the loading on the bar and started my last set, realized it felt kind of light and stopped at 10 to check the weight. Whoops
- I dropped a set of squat assistance since I still ended up with an extra ~600 lbs of volume due to the 200 lb x 10 accident.
- I feel good. I actually felt better after my workout than going in. Even though I was burnt.
- Ego squarely checked at the door on the benches. Historically, I've been a good bencher (in college I was able to hit 260 x 3 at a BW of ~175-180ish). I wanted to make sure I got all reps since I don't have a spotter.

Derek Weaver
12-22-2009, 08:16 PM
12/22/09 Tuesday
Wendler says sprint, push the prowler or pull a sled 2-3x/week. So I sprinted:
Hill Sprint Light Pole to Light Pole x 15

Notes:
- Walked back, and went again. Total time moving was ~45 minutes including warm up.
- Kept the sprints close enough to get a conditioning effect.

Arien Malec
12-22-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm growing to love hill sprints....

Derek Weaver
12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes to hill sprints. I wouldn't mind doing some sled drags now and then. Considering getting one from WSBB. Elite FTS is freakin' expensive.

12/24/09 Thursday
Deadlift 190 x 5, 220 x 5, 250 x 5 + (10)
- Assistance: Deadlift 165 lbs x 5 x 10 + HLR x 5 x 10
Press 80 x 5, 90 x 5x , 100 x 5+ (10)
- Assistance: Press 65 x 5 x 10 + Chins x 5 x 10

Notes:
- Felt good. I'm not sure how many reps is "good" on the 5 week for the last set. I figure I'm working a bit light and the rep estimate I took last week is probably pretty light. I may not be all that far off from a year ago. Either way, I should be able to progress for a while here.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Derek Simonds
12-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Merry Christmas to you. I think the amount of reps on the last set depends on if you are moving up 5 LB's a week or 10. If 10 that last set gets hard fast. When I have begun to get close to topping out on a lift I was barely eeking out my reps. On the other hand I reset and have been blowing away my rep maxes from before.

Derek Weaver
12-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Wait, I thought the percentages changed, but the weights stayed the same through each 5/3/1 cycle + deload?

Arien Malec
12-25-2009, 09:19 PM
You keep your max (on which the %ages are calculated) constant during a cycle, then up your max for the next cycle.

Derek Simonds
12-26-2009, 04:50 AM
They do I meant each month. All I was trying to say was that when you are working closer to your rep max the last set numbers get really close to the required amount. For the last couple of months I have been barely eeking my last rep out on squats.

I told Gant that the rep schema is almost like a self limiting hypertrophy to strength setup. Meaning that at lower total weight you can end up hitting 10's easily on some weeks but as the weight moves up you are going to struggle just to get 1 sometimes.

My plan for this first 3 months is to increase by 10 LB's each month on each lift and I am setting my first month to be numbers 20 LB's less than where I maxed out at last time though. Hopefully this will help me push through my plateaus.

Sorry for the mis type there.

Derek Weaver
12-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Ahhh. Okay. I was a little confused there.

Derek Weaver
12-30-2009, 08:44 PM
12/25/09 Friday Christmas
Active Recovery: Wii sports. I suck at bowling but own tennis and baseball.

12/26/09 Saturday to Current 12/30/09
Getting over the stomach flu for time. Definitely not a PR on this one. I've missed 2 days of work this week and have the next few off for the holiday. Taking a while to move on here.

On a different thread, I was looking through my old entries from 13 months ago and got thoroughly depressed:
11/29/08 Saturday
Back Squat 305x5x3
Bench Press 215x5x3
Weighted Chins 58x5x3

The bench is nothing extraordinary, nor is the squat to be honest, but compared to where I am now... geez.

I've decided that it's a good idea to actually plan training, including numbers you want/expect to hit throughout the year. The below goals are those numbers.

Squat: 1 rep max @ 350
Deadlift: 1 rep max @ 400
Bench: I'd like to hit 265 for reps again. This isn't as solid.
Press: Bodyweight (whatever it is) + 5 lbs. I'm guessing this will be something like a 175 lb press.

I've also made up my mind. I've flip flopped around different competitive athletic interests that I've done in the past and would like to get into, but they're not all realistic. I enjoyed my time fighting, but there aren't any gyms in my area and at this point, showing up to work with black eyes and the like doesn't go over as well.

I was in Europe and got to watch a few rugby games and thought that maybe, just maybe I could put on enough weight to not get destroyed. that's still a possibility, though 7s is most likely.

I'm left with powerlifting. I'm searching for a meet, but I'd like to enter one in the next calendar year, sometime in the next quarter. As soon as I can find one within a decent distance of my house I'll enter it to force adherence.

I'm going to go back to the novice programming from Practical Programming until I stall out. Then I'll be justified in using 5/3/1. My #'s right now aren't close to what they were when I was getting close to finishing my novice progression. I may not get all the way back there, but I should at least try before going to intermediate/advanced programming like that. To be clear, I'm not ditching 5/3/1, I'm just trying to get back to a point where it actually makes sense to go for something like that.

Monday- Squat, Bench/Press, Pull ups
Wednesday- Squat, bench/press, Deadlift
Friday- Squat, Bench/press, Chins

Everything is starting fairly low with the idea of making bigger jumps if necessary upfront and reducing jumps to 5/10 lbs per lift.

Squats will start at 200 x 5 x 3. Bench will start at 165 x 5 x 3. Press will start at 115 x 5 x 3. Deads will start heavy(er) @ 260

Starting on either 1/1/10 (depending on how I'm feeling) or 1/4/10, I expect to begin 5/3/1 between 2/15/10 and 3/1/10. This date relies on whether I stall or can continue to progress. 6-8 weeks should theoretically yield increases of 90-120 on the squat, hopefully ~60 on the bench, who knows on the press and I hope I can get the deadlift back to 350 x 1 x 5. I guess with the starting weights and 6-8 weeks of linear work I'd likely be more like 310-340, but we'll see.

As for bodyweight, I can't really get much bigger/heavier than 170-175. I guess the closest weight class I could go from there would be 165. The next weight class up would make me short, fat and pretty much the opposite of what I'd like.

Arien Malec
12-30-2009, 09:19 PM
12/25/09 Friday Christmas
Active Recovery: Wii sports. I suck at bowling but own tennis and baseball.

Tennis and boxing are my faves.

Sorry to hear about the illness. Linear programming always makes sense coming back from a layoff. Start way lower than you think you should.

Kevin Perry
12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Wii sports sounds fun, my friend was told she was obese by that little voice thing on it.

Derek Weaver
12-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Tennis and boxing are my faves.

Sorry to hear about the illness. Linear programming always makes sense coming back from a layoff. Start way lower than you think you should.

Boxing is good too.

I jumped in on 5/3/1, got through "5" week, then got sick and had way too much time on my hands. Honestly, if I don't get sick I don't realize just how much my numbers suck now and how inappropriate it is for me at this point.

Soon though... very soon.

Derek Weaver
01-03-2010, 09:21 PM
1/3/10 Sunday
Squat 5 sets x 3 reps @ 200 lbs
Bench Press 5 sets x 3 reps @ 165
Pull Ups 3 sets max (16, 13, 11)

Notes:
- Squats felt tough on the first set and then got real easy. Wish I had video so I could see if it was a form issue or if I wasn't warmed enough before getting into working sets.
- Tired. First full day out doing stuff since I got sick. Played a round of golf then went to an awesome bar for the Chargers and Cowboys games.

Derek Weaver
01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
1/5/10 Tuesday
Squat 5 x 3 @ 210 - whoops
Press 5 x 3 @ 110
Deadlift 5 x 1 @ 260

Notes:
- Squats are interesting. My third set has been my best set each day. Gotta be something with the warm ups. Maybe improved CNS activation?
- Press felt a little heavy, then I adjusted my grip and it was easy moving.
- Deads felt great and were real easy.
- Even though I have had a couple good workouts I've realized that sitting at a desk has me feeling more beat up than the times I spent playing rugby and fighting.

Arien Malec
01-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I often have the same thing with squats. With 5 sets of 5, the easiest set is set 3...

Derek Weaver
01-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm convinced it's a combination of CNS activation and fatigue with the drop off in sets four and 5 if doing 5x5. I'm not struggling by any means at these weights, but I'm still surprised by how much easier the 3rd set is.

1/7/10 Thursday
Squat 5x3 @ 220
Bench 5x3 @ 175
Chins 3 x (12, 12, 11)

Notes:
- Looking to make bigger jumps for as long as possible on each exercise.
- The low bar position isn't happening right now. The shoulders don't have the flexibility for it.
- I keep putting "09" for the year. I should figure out it's 2010 by around mid May.

Derek Weaver
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
1/10/10 Sunday
Squat 5 x3 @ 230
Press 5x3 @ 115
Pull Ups 3 x( 16, 16, 12)

Notes:
- Squats were good. A little slow on the first set, but I figured some stuff out with my breathing and was good. Gave my hip flexors a little more stretching and did better. Odd considering that my current shoulder mobility forces me into a more high bar position, requiring more quad dominance.
- Don't know what was up with the pull ups. If I could get 15 on that last set I'd throw on the weight belt.

Derek Weaver
01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
1/12/10 Tuesday
Squat 5x3 @ 240
Bench Press 5x3 @ 185
Deadlift 5x1 @ 270

Notes:
- Took a few singles @ 225 trying to wake the CNS up. I felt better doing this. I'm convinced that after a stressful day at work (which is every freaking day) I tend to crash and need to come back around. It'll be a little tricky as the weights push back up towards 300 on the Squat.
- Bench was not a problem. I may not suck after all at benching anymore. Still a ways to go though.
- If anyone wants to see possible the best video of a hip prep check this out: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitJournal_KellyStarrett_HipPrePRE.wmv
Possibly the best video CF has had up there in a while. Coincidence that Kelly Starrett was the presnter? Absolutely not. Consistently solid stuff from the SF CF guys.

Arien Malec
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey, why's your DL so close to your squat? Better levers for squat?

Derek Weaver
01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Eh, kinda. Last year when I was doing this I was only about 50 lbs above my squat. Part of it is the long hours sitting. I'm practically chained to my desk at work. I think the DL will pull away as the squat has to be reset.

I'm not anywhere close to missing reps on the deadlift. not close yet on the squat either, but if I get to 300x5x3 without a reset this time around I'll be surprised.

Derek Simonds
01-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Stress its whats for dinner... I know the feeling, seems to be a lot of it at my work right now also. Your progression is looking good.

Derek Weaver
01-15-2010, 10:33 PM
1/14/10 Thursday
Mom's Birthday. Took an out of order rest day. Can't blow off a birthday dinner to do squats.

1/15/10 Friday
No workout. Back spasms all through work today. No good. High stress causes my back to seize up. I need some meditation or something.

Notes:
- I am actually going to move to a little of conditioning primarily because I'm appying for a job that's going to require it. If I don't even get to the physical test then it won't matter. I'm going to hit the kind of semi strength, semi conditioning program from 70s big a while ago. After today I made up my mind that I have to take action to make things better, cause my current employment situation isn't going to ease the stress anytime soon. I still will continue with a linear progression as long as possible. I may even be able to eek it out a while longer with fewer workouts per week. I'm guessing that I'll end up with similar progress over longer period though.
Monday — Squat, Press, Power Clean
Tuesday — Chin-ups, Conditioning
Wednesday — OFF
Thursday — Squat, Bench, Deadlift
Friday — Conditioning

If I don't even get to the testing portion then I'll get back to 3 days/week with no conditioning until I max out my progression.

Kevin Perry
01-16-2010, 08:21 AM
That's a good plan Derek, good luck with the job situation.

Arien Malec
01-16-2010, 08:37 AM
For what it's worth, my advice would be to continue linear progression until it stops and add conditioning when you go to 5/3/1. The recovery from linear progression is difficult enough to prioritize that direction. 5/3/1 provides a good framework (e.g., adding or dropping accessory work) for making progress both in conditioning and strength while getting recovery.

Derek Weaver
01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I can't really do that. The schedule I pointed out is the compromise I have to make until I figure out this job

Arien Malec
01-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Err, missed that...

Derek Weaver
01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
It's cool. I don't really want to move any of my training around. I figure in just a couple of weeks I'd be close to my advanced-beginner/intermediate level again. I wanted to be sure that I'd maxed that out before touching anything. Either way I figure I should get there soon enough. It'll be tougher to get an idea though with a modified approach

Derek Weaver
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
No training since last Tuesday because of the back. Saw a chiro today. I'm already feeling better. He told me to rest and stretch until I have no soreness and make a follow up appointment only if I need it. As he put it, if I feel good tomorrow, then go for it. If I'm still sore, hold off. Strictly by feel.

Derek Simonds
01-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Man back pain sucks. Get better. Are you doing contrast therapy? When you are at work can you do hot for 15 then cold for 15? That is one advantage of having a semi sort of kinda desk job is that I can ice or heat as needed.

Derek Weaver
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty much chained to my desk. I keep one of those thermacare wraps on and stretch a lot. My pain went from ~7 to ~2 since my appointment. Incredible.

Derek Weaver
01-23-2010, 08:53 PM
1/23/10

No training at all. In all, 4 missed workouts. I think I'm well enough to get after it tomorrow.

Been doing a ton of mobility and flexibility work.

I think I may need to lay off deadlifts for a little bit. And back squats. Front squats it is. There really is no substitute for either a deadlift or a true backsquat.

Derek Weaver
01-24-2010, 05:17 PM
1/24/10 Sunday
Front Squat to Moderate Triple @ 185
Bench 5x3 @ 175
Pull ups 3x12

Notes:
- Going with front squats for a little while for a couple reasons. a) I'm not sure if I can really handle the poundage of the backsquat even though I'm not squatting big right now- this is in terms of back health b) I'm not sure if my back injury was from squatting but I can't really think of anything else. c) I like them and they may allow me to continue on a progression for a while. More squats, whether back squats, front squats, single leg squats, rear foot elevated split squats. What's important is to squat.
- I'm not sure what the long term solution with deadlifting is. Hopefully I don't need a long term solution. On Tuesday I'll hit up some weighted GHR's to help bring along the p-chain but stay away from the lower back.

Allen Yeh
01-25-2010, 04:09 AM
I'm pretty much chained to my desk. I keep one of those thermacare wraps on and stretch a lot. My pain went from ~7 to ~2 since my appointment. Incredible.

I know all of our situations are different but I'm at my desk a lot. Last week was my first week at my new job and thankfully I have en end cubicle so that when I stretch no one can really see me doing some lunges! Seriously though...things I've tried to do is go to the farthest breakroom possible for my morning caffiene fix and just little things that make me walk more while at work. This past week I've been forcing myself to get up every half hour or so to do some type of upper or lower body mobilization/prehab thing.

K.I.S.S. is best, not getting overly complicated, just getting up and doing some neck mobilizations or lunges, or lateral squats....etc make it a game and be consistent. If you can't do that then when you are able to get up squeeze your glutes hard and stretch the hip flexors.

Ever try that Bill Starr lower back rehab program?

Derek Simonds
01-25-2010, 06:08 AM
I used that Star rehab program with a friend of mine in MI and he swears by it. He was absolutely miserable and went through it just like programmed. Good stuff.

Derek Weaver
01-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I haven't tried the Starr rehab. I think it was a slightly different kind of situation. I'm just babying my back until I can improve flexibility and mobility a bit more. I've been stretching 2x/day and doing extensive mobility work beyond what's in Maximum Strength.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2010, 02:51 PM
1/26/10 Tuesday
Front Squat 5 sets x 3 reps @ 185
Press 3x5 @ 110
GHR 3x (10, 6, 9)- weird #'s today on this one.

Then something stupid and awful happened. I did a modification of the Farmer's Walk Challenge from the recent T-Nation article.
2x 2 pood KB walk out as far as you can in 5 minutes. Rest. Turnaround and go home (with the kettlebells). Total time not including rest = 14.02

Notes:
- This took me about 10 minute to type because my forearms are so cooked.
- You may be asking yourself, "why would you do that". I would respond with "I don't know". Bad idea today

Kevin Perry
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Ha I read the above and I remember how you talked about program jumping and I thought about last night when I was recollecting that I've never done SS as is, im always modding shit. That changes tomorrow.

We always screw with the programs

Derek Weaver
01-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, the modification on the farmer's walks was weight. The motivation to do them was two-fold. 1) I was bored on my day off. 2) I need conditioning for a job I'm trying to get and would rather do strength based conditioning + hiking (weather permitting) in order to maintain a progression under the bar 2x/week.

As soon as I figure out whether or not I get in on this job, I can cut the conditioning out and get back to 3x/week as long as gains permit. Once they halt I'll switch.

What I am interested to see is whether or not I get back to squatting or if current physical limitations move me to predominantly front squatting. I can press fine, but I end up in fairly obvious spinal flexion under load when back squatting.

Allen Yeh
01-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Ouch.....maybe I won't be adding that farmer's walk thing to my workout next Monday......thanks for trying that out for us!

Arien Malec
01-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Ha! I love famer's walks, but I'll admit the DJ challenge seemed a bit evil. Getting the weights out 5 minutes seems doable. The return.....

How's the back feeling? One thing that worked well for me was a Starr protocol with (and this is going to sound insane) rounded back SLDLs. The trick is to keep the weights really really light - they help bloodflow and stretch things that need to be stretched.

Derek Weaver
01-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Allen,
You're welcome. Now you and Derek have to try the 315 lb deadlift challenge and let me know how it goes.

Arien,
The back is fine. No pain, no tightness. I'm good to go. After the adjustment the muscle slowly started to release. It wasn't a strain, sprain, pull... I just started spasming.

I'll keep the Starr rehab protocols around just in case. I'll pull from the floor next week. This week I'm just taking it the safe way.

And yes, even with just 72 lbs in each hand... that farmer's walk challenge was horrible.

Allen Yeh
01-28-2010, 03:40 AM
How are your hands feeling today?

Derek Weaver
01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Hands and forearms are still pretty cooked. Not as bad as I thought considering how I felt yesterday.

Derek Simonds
01-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I have walked a mile with a 24 KG KB before and it was miserable. I switched hands off and on but it still sucked. I'd do that challenge though. :D Allen and me will do the DL challenge in March.

Derek Weaver
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
By then my deadlift may be in good enough shape to join in. God help me

1/28/10 Thursday
Front Squat 3 reps x 5 reps @ 195
bench press 5 reps x3 sets @ 185
chins 3 sets x max reps (12,12,10)

notes:
- my front squats were easy, but I didn't realize how much they suck until I looked at my bench numbers.
- I kinda ran out of steam on the chins. Weird. I'm usually good for 15 on at least one set.

Allen Yeh
01-29-2010, 03:32 AM
God help us all!

Derek Weaver
01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
1/31/10 Sunday
Front Squat 3 reps x 5 sets @ 205
Press 5 x 3 @ 115
Power Clean 3x3 @ 135

Notes:
- This was all incredibly easy today. Short sleep the last week or so, but today it just clicked. Always nice and I won't question it. It's days like these that make me think that I actually can get strong some day fairly soon.
- I shorted the power cleans by 2 sets because I realized that if anything could cause the back to act up it would be these. I feel good though, so hopefully I wake up tomorrow in good condition.

Derek Simonds
01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Nice work and I am looking forward to you participating in the DL challenge....

Derek Weaver
01-31-2010, 06:58 PM
So am I in a weird way. I'm really concentrating on flexibility, hip mobility, and am going to incorporate back extensions each workout day. I know back squats translate well to improved deadlift #'s, I wonder how/if front squats carry over.

Derek Weaver
02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
No real workout. But I did put an econo prowler together for time.

Thursday is tentatively scheduled for a prowler challenge.

Arien Malec
02-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Nice. Where are you going to push it? (That consideration is the only one that prevents me from getting one).

Allen Yeh
02-03-2010, 04:02 AM
No real workout. But I did put an econo prowler together for time.

Thursday is tentatively scheduled for a prowler challenge.

Nice!

Derek Weaver
02-03-2010, 07:51 AM
There are two places I can push it. The street. Or, I can set it in the back of my truck and go to the elementary school parking lot. It's pretty even there.

It's weird that when it arrived last night I was excited and repulsed at the same time. The prowlers reputation preceeds itself.

Arien Malec
02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Let me know how the noise works on the street. Is it a "wake the neighborhood" kind of thing...

Derek Simonds
02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
We delight in pushing and pulling at 0 Dark hundred in our neighborhood. Have fun and I can't wait for your first experience and feedback.

Derek Weaver
02-03-2010, 08:39 PM
2/3/10 Thursday
Front Squat 3 reps x 5 sets @ 215
Bench Press 5 x 3 @ 195
Deadlift up to a triple where I could "feel it" in the hammies and glutes = 255

Notes:
- Everything was surprisingly smooth and easy today. For one I got up from my desk 2x/hour to stretch and took 3 or 4 walks for ~5 minutes at a time in addition. Maybe didn't delight my boss, but I don't care much. The other is that I added some PNF stretching pre workout for the whole lower body. No loss in power from what I can tell.
- I kept the deadlift limited just to get a feel. Next week will get a good, solid pull ~300, assuming I am spasm free over the weekend. This should be nice.
- I'm thinking that unless it's a torrential downpour the Prowler gets tested tomorrow.
- KB complexes planned for Friday as I've got a big weekend set up and I always get a good workout in before a weekend involving booze, cigars and (hopefully) strange women. Kind of a pre-detox. A pretox if you will

Derek Weaver
02-04-2010, 07:55 PM
2/4/10 Thursday

Prowler Challenge: No idea how long. this is horrible.

Notes:
- Ouch.

Derek Simonds
02-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Aww come on we need much more in the way of detail...

Derek Weaver
02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Sorry. Didn't have much in the tank last night. The sled is pretty quiet on asphalt. If it's been raining at all the sled obviously slides a bit easier. However, that is offset by a lack of grip for your shoes. Pushing on the low handles is miserable.

Arien Malec
02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
And more deets on the booze, cigars and women part as well. :-)

Quiet and painful seems like a winning combination. How easy is it to throw in the car?

Derek Weaver
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I've got a pick up truck so it's easy. To be honest, loading plates and the sled, then unloading to set it up serves as a decent enough warm up. Some ankle mobilizations and you're ready to go.

Derek Weaver
02-07-2010, 04:12 PM
2/7/10 Sunday
Front Squat 3 reps x 5 sets @ 225
Press 5 x 3 @ 125
Power Clean 3x3 @ 145

HLR + Back extension 3 x 12

Notes:
- Surprised I could workout today after this weekend. Especially with another 10 lbs progress on the FS.
- Presses were done with a false grip/suicide grip. Much easier on the shoulders. You wouldn't think it would make that much difference.
- I'm doing the power cleans mainly to keep some hip snap and speed. If I feel good I'll load them a bit more, if I'm not I'll keep them more like today.
- I think I caught the start of a cold this weekend. Or it could be a lasting hangover.

Derek Simonds
02-08-2010, 06:43 AM
My workout partner had the same problem this morning. Apparently the weekend was good to several people.

Your FS is moving fast!

Derek Weaver
02-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks. At this point front squats feel so much better than back squats.

2/8/10 Monday
Conditioning: prowler "laps". 5 total with 50 lbs on sled. Bars for one trip, horns for the other. This was remarkably light and awful.
Each lap was 60 yards up, 60 yards down. 120 yards round trip.

Recovery: stop spinning, then dry heave for time.

Notes:
- not sure why this was so awful. The other
- I dont feel nearly as fried after the workout compared to say "Fran", bit I felt so much worse during the workout...

Derek Simonds
02-09-2010, 04:34 AM
I don't think I have ever done 120 yards at a time on the prowler. I really couldn't even begin to fathom the level of misery that is. The longest I have ever pushed was about 60 yards and that sucked. Who knows why it feels so bad, maybe because there isn't a change in movement and it is just your entire body pushing.

Allen Yeh
02-09-2010, 05:19 AM
I just saw this post yesterday:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask-joe-test/41-strength-training/177-indestructible-hamstrings.html

Let us know how those upright sled walks work out for you! I've never messed with a prowler but it sounds like it could be fun.

Derek Weaver
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
2/10/10 Wednesday
Front Squat 3 reps x 5 sets @ 235
Bench 5 x 3 @ 205
Deadlift 5x1 @ 285

Notes:
- forgot ABZ. gotta do them tonight or tomorrow.
- Deadlift was done with a double overhand grip. Back felt no discomfort and I feel fine a few hours later. Hopefully I'm all past the issues I was having.
- Front squats are getting harder. I'm going to push this progression as hard as I can. I think I can realistically close in on a 300 lb 1 RM. Not bad at ~165-170 lbs.
- Judging by my skin, I need to take better care as to what I'm eating. When I've been strict paleo in the past I've gotten low on the scale weight, but my skin has been clear as ever. 26 years old with zits sucks.

Kevin Perry
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Damn you are really tearing those front squats man

Derek Weaver
02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
New PR. I'm now barred from posting comments on the CF.com comments section for the wod.

Surprised they still let me into the message board.

Allen Yeh
02-12-2010, 03:30 AM
What did you say?

Derek Simonds
02-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Troublemaker... and yeahh you are crushing those FS's!

Derek Weaver
02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
I just made some off color remarks about some pictures, and videos. Wondered why Glassman can't or won't follow his own prescription for health and wellness. I also posted 5+ times wondering whether the CF Mom "gymless" affiliate fee has to pay the affiliate fee. And got deleted every time. It just took until now to not be allowed to post to the comments sections. I guess my pot shots were good enough to get deleted but not so bad that they didn't give me multiple chances.

And thanks Kevin and Derek on the the front squats. I have recently gotten a fair amount of doms. But I keep moving up. Definitely getting harder though.

Derek Weaver
02-13-2010, 11:03 AM
2/12/10 Friday
southwood (complex version) 8-6-4 of:
power clean
press
front squat

Did these with 95, 100 105 lbs and was surprisingly done for. My work capacity sucks. I had to make it quick as I had an Indian casino to go to. Made a nice little run. It was fun to play cards in a live setting again.

I also realized that recovery is becoming enough of a factor that the workouts are needing to be Sunday-Monday, off Tuesday, on Wednesday, off Thursday, on Friday.

Derek Weaver
02-14-2010, 04:50 PM
2/14/10 Sunday
Front Squat 240 x 3 reps x 1 set (Not feeling all that great in the gym today so I ramped up to a new PR and called it. Realized I still accumulated a decent amount of volume, but total poundage was lower as there were no sets across)
Press 5 x 3 @ 135
Power Clean 3 x 5 @ 135

Notes:
- Strange workout today. I knew that I didn't have anything more than 1 set in me today. Even though I added weight to the bar, and set a PR for weight x reps, this ended up as a semi-deload.
- Press... I'll admit that my heels came up on the 4th and 5th reps in the 3rd set. This needs to be backed off as well I think.
- Power cleans actually felt really good. I still kept them very light like I have been doing since everything else was a little off.

I may be nearing the end of my capacity to make linear gains workout to workout with the current programming. Last year when I was doing the Novice Program from PP, I never had to reset, but I did all of a sudden "feel it". I have a much higher amount of accumulated stress as well which is certainly impacting things a bit. I'm close on some numbers from last year. Press is strong and not far off, bench is around the same (though very, very far from all-time PR's set in college when I followed Max-OT for ~ 18 months), deads suck, but I can't do much about that since I lost a couple weeks of deadlifting and before that several months due to some hip mobility, loss of lordosis stuff from sitting so much.

If I feel good tomorrow I'll still do some Prowler work. I am hoping that I just need more food and better sleep. If not then it'll be time to transition over to 5/3/1. I would guess that if I could back squat with a little more comfort that my high bar backsquat would not be far off at all from my low bar back squat from a year ago. I'm definitely getting within range.

Derek Weaver
02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
2/18/10 Thursday
Front Squat 5x3 @ 200
Bench 3 x 5 @ 185
Deadlift- bunch of singles @ 235. I think it was like 10. Just grooving the movement without causing a bunch of stress.
KB swings- 3 x 20 @ 1.5 pood

Notes:
- Deloading. I just crashed after Sunday and took an additional day off. No other work this week. I may swing a 'bell a little tomorrow and/or Saturday, but I think the rest will do me good. I was actually planning a deload next week, but the body told me this week is a better idea.
- I've got some ideas on what will come next. I don't think my knees can really take near max effort squatting even 2x/week right now. I'll continue to work on getting into a comfortable back squat position (likely high bar) as I think it's considerably more gentle on the knees.
- I thought the deadlift felt like a 50-60% effort (this is what we call wishful thinking). I'd guess that I suck at estimating effort in the absence of legitimate 1rm testing and that it was closer to the 75% range (reality sucks). That's alright. Having hurt my back the way I did, I'm more concerned with pulling safely than pulling gigantic weights. If there's one lift I can stand to go slow and steady with it's the deadlift. Long term development of strength should help build an indestructible back and powerful hips. Sprinting to it a la Starting Strength, with my history of back issues and a family history of shaky backs, is likely to cause quite a few issues, even with added strength.
- I've kind of figured out this contract-release thing with stretching. PNF is awesome.

Arien Malec
02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Are you foam rolling, etc? I find frequent front squats inflame the muscles and connective tissues at the quad attachments, and that active measure to keep inflammation in control is needed? Or is the knee pain at the joint?

Derek Weaver
02-19-2010, 02:05 PM
It's in the joint. I foam roll, tennis ball, use the stick etc. I have had a few knee sprains thru the years playing basketball, rugby and when I was fighting. The trip up half dome did a number on both. Both knees have calcifications.

Derek Weaver
02-21-2010, 03:09 PM
2/21/10 Sunday
Training max = approx 130.5
Press: 5x1 @ 95, 5x1 @ 105, max x 1 @ 110 (total = 10)

Assistance: 10 reps x 5 sets @ 65 lbs + 10 reps x 5 sets Pull Ups
2 sets of 20 reps of KBS @ 1.5 pood. Just enough to open the hips

Notes:
- HLRs in warm up to cover the Abz.
- I was planning on a long hilly walk with the dog but it's raining pretty hard right now. Maybe this evening if this blows through.
- All of my training maxes were estimated very low to ensure no burnout as conditioning really has to improve and be done more regularly as the employment thing continues to shake out.
- If it's clear tomorrow night the prowler will come out after deadlifts, I already feel nauseous.
- I abandoned the linear progression scheme(s) I'd been using because a) the knees are a little shaky squatting heavy even 2x/week right now, b) the stress of everything else makes it a little tough. Something that's regulated and set up to live north of the vag, as Wendler puts it, fits best for the time being. I do feel like a pussy though.

Kevin Perry
02-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I hear ya on the stress. I get too burnt out on SS versus 531 and the amount of food needed is next to impossible when your stressed and constantly busy. Where did you get your prowler?

Derek Weaver
02-21-2010, 04:28 PM
I got the Prowler through EFS. I wouldn't go with them though based on the customer service I got through them. I work in a job with a heavy customer service component and get seriously peeved when there is a lack of it... especially when spending a few hundred bucks.

Right now they're the only ones offering the prowler, but Perform Better has the Sled Dawg for a comparable price (though I'm not sure if it can be used outside). Ebay has some interesting options.

Arien Malec
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Sled Dawg II seems like the analogue to the Prowler, but at a higher price to the econo model. I almost pulled the trigger during their sale a while back, but I figure I need to establish a better habit of hill sprints first.

Derek Weaver
02-22-2010, 08:46 PM
2/22/10
Deadlift 215x5, 220 x 5, 230 x 14
Assistance: Deadlift 5 x 10 + 3 x 10 ghr sit up, 2 x 10 hlr
Conditioning: prowler- 6 trips with 90 lbs on the sled

Notes:
- easy day in terms of weight, not effort. I actually thought that around rep 10 on the deads I would get to 20 reps, then I gassed all of a sudden. It's okay though. Slow and steady will win this race. I am interested to see what I can pull for a single though.
- I heard a podcast interview with Dan John a while ago and I remember him saying, on the deadlift: "chest up, wiggle your toes". Keeping that going has fixed the majority of what may have been wrong with my deads in the past.
- the prowler sucks no matter what's on it or how you push it.

Derek Simonds
02-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Looking good man.

Derek Weaver
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
2/24/10 Wednesday
Bench 165 x 5, 175 x 5, 185 x 10

Assistance: 5 x (Ring Dips x 10 + Bodyweight row-feet elevated x 10)

Minor Conditioning 3 x 25 KBS (1.5 pood) + 5 L- Pull ups.

Notes:
- I hadn't done any ring dips in almost a year I think. Ouch.
- I was going to do boring but big, but I got a wild hair to do a little ring/bodyweight stuff. That's what I think I will like about this for a while, that the assistance stuff is open and flexible as long as the main lift is done well.
- Right now, the Boring But Big template is the most simple way to arrange an upper/lower split seperated into vertical push/pull, hip dominant lower, horizontal push/pull, knee dominant lower. Nice.
- I've been squeezing in a little 20-30 minute walk everyday since I sit on my backside all day at work
- Cutting back on the milk and other stuff. I break out too much. Not a huge deal when you're 17. At 26, it sucks. I'll have to figure out a way to keep my weight from dipping too low again.

Derek Weaver
02-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Late night insomina stuff going on. I have a lot going on both with my work, personal life, and a little training, so I'll address the training here.:

For anyone wondering whether or not they need more flexibilty and mobility work, this is a great way to find out (http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/539/). I can't stay in position for anything. And I've been doing a ton of stuff for a few months now.

This is a funny video I saw on Conditioning Research (http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/2010/02/squatting-is-hardcore.html) that has made me think a bit. I was already wondering a couple months ago about loading the spine heavy and often with backsquats, and have since all but abandoned them, albeit for different reasons.

At this point, I have difficulty holding a decent high bar position, and depending on how far out I go with my grip, I can get into a low bar position (odd, I know), but can't stabilize any sort of decent weight. I feel strongly that the muscular injury I had ~ 4 weeks ago was largely caused through a loss of spinal extension while trying to squat.

Now that my knees have acted up (again) I'm questioning whether it's a great idea to do heavy knee dominant movements. Achy knees + back trouble makes you think about such things.

A couple thoughts:
- I'm not really very strong. What's heavy for me right now is a warm up set for a lot of oly lifters, and most powerlifters would look at my current backsquat and die of laughter. I don't want to talk about my current deadlift.
- I could just suck at squatting from the increasingly sedentary days due to my job. I can only do so much to avoid the physical limitations of my job. Employability is the most important attribute right now though.
- Even last year when I could still squat well, and got up to 315 x 5 x 3 at a bodyweight of ~175 (again, nothing special by any means, but okay) my knees started to act up. I was developing crazy glute and hamstring function, yet my knees were sore constantly.
- As I noted last week, I have had quite a few injuries to my knees and x-rays after my Half Dome failure showed legitimate calcifications in both joints, the problem could be partially one of affected physiology from being dumber than average when doing more physical activities. the other could be poor form.
- In my goals and intentions for this year I was planning on entering a PL meet, I doubt that will happen, thus the need to squat is lessened. Of course, if everything works the way I hope it will, the need to squat will be great as I'll have a chance to compete.
On the flip side:
- Deadlifting actually felt good. I hung from a pull up bar after my deadlift session and my spine felt fine. I had DOMS the next day, but nothing out of the ordinary in or around the site of my recent injury.
- Deadlift variations can help to develop the hips, hammies, low back, upper back, and to some extent the anterior chain when performing snatch grip deads.
- I am a big fan of single leg movements because even when loaded, they can help to safely develop mobility/flexibility. Especially Bulgarian Split Squats (or RFESS). Loaded for reps helps to develop strength and stamina etc. (do sets of 8 with a challenging weight, don't rest between legs)
- Maybe the key is to squat often, but not with weight very often. Squatting is awesome mobility work. It's also great strength work, but at a greater potential price.

What I like about 5/3/1 is the flexibility. If the lifter isn't feeling well, then the bare minimum is fine. I think I should feel fine through "5" day for front squats tomorrow, since the weights are especially light on this movement. I may hit my necessary reps and work a lighter back squat for timed sets for both accessory work and conditioning.

I'm thinking that regardless, squat days are going to entail a lot of goblet squats, some overhead squats, the weighted stuff and other stuff as I feel well.

These are all just thoughts that have been bouncing around my head and I'm not quite sure where I come down right now on this subject. I just wanted to get some stuff typed so I'd have a reference for later and give myself a chance to contradict a previous statement I'd made when I revisit this line of thinking down the road.

Allen Yeh
02-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Unless you are hitting a meet or something there is nothing to say back squat HAS to be in a program! Joint health trumps all the rest of that crapola. Is it only back squats that tweak your knees or do they all start tweaking your knees after a certain point?

When I was back off back squats 1.5 years ago (damn it's been that long????) because my knees were aching I'd try to hit up the front squats, zerchers, and overhead squats. I've heard good things about belt squats, I know one of Shafs friends whose a stuntman and had stuck with belt squats for a while due to various injuries.

On the topic of single leg stuff, James Evans pointed out some evil Defranco split squat variation yesterday:

Skate squat: rear foot elevated, squat down, come halway up, squat back down then come all the way up. I hate BSS's already, that one sounds like leg burning evilness.

Derek Simonds
02-26-2010, 06:19 AM
BSS's, Skaters, Lunges all make me have sooo much DOM's it is ridiculous. I should do more but don't because of the soreness.

I am switching out BS's as a primary movement for my next cycle of 5/3/1. Front Squats it is. I will use BS as an assistance movement on DL days. I am excited to see how it goes.

Speaking of meets I have found one that is a push pull, so DL and Bench no BS, right up my alley.

Allen Yeh
02-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Nice. How far out are you right now from the meet?

Derek Simonds
02-26-2010, 07:18 AM
First one is April 24 second one is October 9. If I can get over 425 DL and 247 Bench in October I could set a record in their Ironman 40 to 45 age group. For Ironman they drug test and allow no gear at all except belt. The best total is 672 by the guy that pulled 425. So 430 and 250 are what I am chasing. I think I can get there on the bench the DL is gonna be my challenge. This next cycle is 2 days of DL'ing a week. Should make for some fun recovery.

Derek Weaver
02-26-2010, 02:21 PM
2/26/10 Friday
Front Squats 180 x 5, 190 x 5, 205 x 5

Back squats: messed around with 115 lbs to test the movement. A bit of flexion in the t-spine. high bar with a lighter weight is more doable.

KB stuff: 2 rounds of : 10 snatches r/l, 10 c&p r/l, 10 swings r/l. 1 minute rest.

Notes:
- Did a ton of bodyweight squatting in my warm up. I think that I may just hit the reps if I can and not push for AMRAP as I figure this out. Afterwards I'll try and do some goblet squats and get a feel for the back squat.
- Knees actually felt better with the final set.
- I was going to do some RDL's, but I've been battling a cold for a couple days, nothing serious. Decided that I felt good and could do some kb work to open the lungs, but didn't want to do much other heavy stuff.

Derek Simonds
02-28-2010, 06:56 AM
I think everyone all over the US is fighting some kind of cold. Seriously! I was in all 3 time zones last week and saw at least a couple of people at each place I visited with colds.

My family has been fighting whatever it is for almost 3 weeks. It has worked through everyone except me, knock on wood.

Looked like a great workout.

Derek Weaver
02-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Good to hear that you're still able to dodge the cold/virus. I hope you keep on dodging it. It sounds like something similar from region to region. My Dad finally caught something similar to what I've got in Chicago.

The Squat workouts are going to be interesting. I've got a lot rolling around my head with regards to the squat right now, as my previous post a few days ago showed.

2/28/10 Sunday
Press "3's": 100 x 3, 115 x 3, 130 x 7
Assistance: Press (75 lbs) + Pullups/Chinups (alternating set to set) x 5 x 10

Abz: Ab wheel 3 x 12

Notes:
- Exhausted. Cold has settled in the top of the chest. I'll spare the details, but I am certainly not dealing with bronchitis, which is a good thing of course.
- I'm surprised I did anything past 3 reps on my top set today. Wasn't sure I would workout. Realized that I don't have the flu, and that I was shaking it off after a couple hours.
- I woke up and didn't think I'd do anything but watch the hockey game. Bummed about the ending, but Canada outplayed us and were attacking constantly for the entire OT period.
- Felt a ton better on Friday than I do today. I guess the beers on Friday at the birthday party I was at were a bad idea. Who's a thought that drinking while fighting a cold for a few weeks was a bad idea?

Derek Simonds
03-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Jager is medicinal...

Derek Weaver
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Just an update. Cold is diagnosed as bacterial bronchitis. A course of antibiotics and cough medicine is the fix. I actually had most of this week blocked off for a trip down to San Diego, which is good and bad. No trip to warm weather, but I was already supposed to be out of work.

I feel like a pansy with some of the other worries and events that some on this board are going through.

Arien Malec
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Yuck. At least you know, and antibiotics should help you kick it quickly.

Derek Simonds
03-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Don't screw around with that. I have known too many people who think they can press through and end up with pneumonia. Take it easy, follow doctors orders and eat as much as you can! Wait that last part is what I would do :D

Derek Weaver
03-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Still sick, really bored. Dr. actually gave me a stronger antibiotic. I took plenty of antibiotics when I was younger, than then took them maybe 4x in 10 years, each time for bronchitis (one being bronchitis + an ear infection when I was 21. Ear infections such when you're a kid, even more as an adult)

I found this a while ago I think on IGX, got bored and decided to find it again. Good ole' 8 % BF Art... http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9618138

He's healthy and doing well, but I got tired of his claims and statements a long time ago.

Derek Weaver
03-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Just so when I look back at my logs I know where the last 2 weeks have gone.
3/14/10 Sunday
Getting over respiratory infection for time.

Still coughing, seem to be getting weaker at times, other times a little stronger. Had a chest x-ray on Friday. I actually hope I've got pneumonia so that my Dr. can give an all out antibiotic assault. No more of this "Let's give it through the weekend and go from there" crap.

I'm now out 10 straight work days after tomorrow, and ~$200 in medical expenses. Oh, and I don't get paid if I don't show at work. So, I'm not burning through sick time, which is good so that I can't get penalized, but I'm out 2 weeks worth of pay plus the additional $200.

On a training note, once I am well enough to workout again I think I'm going to go with Dan John's 40 Day Program (http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_40day_program) for anywhere from 10-40 days to get the strength and all back. Good to get some swings and/or snatches in everyday as well.

I can't stand to do another linear progression.

Arien Malec
03-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Get better. Recovery is job #1.... Don't get discouraged by the suck coming back. Linear progression starting way under what you expect may actually be a good idea, but I've always wanted to try the 40 day program as well.

Kevin Perry
03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
That sucks man, hope you get better soon.

Derek Simonds
03-15-2010, 02:40 AM
I feel ya! My wife went to the doctor last week because she had been going through this for over 3 weeks. She actually dislocated a rib from coughing! I was calling her TB Tracy. Which wasn't going over so well.

You will get better, soon! Just like Arien said recovery is job #1. Which thinking about that saying it should have been the slogan of our government the last 18 months! Heh.

I don't get paid for sick days either, it is purely a production thing with me so I understand the feeling.

Derek Weaver
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. It's official, I am now recovering from pneumonia (for time).

Allen Yeh
03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
That sucks and sorry to hear about the job/medical woes. No vacation days or anything? UGH.

Derek Weaver
03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Nope, and this new antibiotic isn't cheap. I don't even want to get into the #'s in terms of lost wages + pharmacy/medical.

Oh well. I figure this should work or the next post will be from the hospital.

Brian Stone
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Good luck. I'm anxious to see your results w/ the 40 day program.

Derek Simonds
03-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Man I feel like I was looking into the future 10 days ago....

Derek Weaver
03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Man I feel like I was looking into the future 10 days ago....

What's crazy is I have done a whole lot of.... nothing. Sleeping 10-12 hours/day (though I rarely sleep more than 4-5 hours thru at night. This is independent of being sick or healthy), eating what I can stomach etc.

I'm so hopped up on decongestants and cough medication that I have to read everything two or three times and typing is a chore. But I'm bored and these boards keep my amused.

Derek Simonds
03-16-2010, 01:17 PM
I know the feeling. You should be an internet guru by the time you get healed up. The boards keep me amused as well when I am smiling and dialing.

Derek Weaver
03-16-2010, 05:42 PM
I know the feeling. You should be an internet guru by the time you get healed up. The boards keep me amused as well when I am smiling and dialing.

I'll probably write an e-book on something I have no clue about and just use forum posts as references.

For anyone interested, this guy works at Eric Cressey's gym and has some really good content.

Predominantly Paleo/Real Food point of view. Brian St. Pierre (http://brianstpierretraining.com/).

I really like a lot of what Cressey, Gentilcore etc. do.

Allen Yeh
03-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Wow, tried out split squat EQI's this morning, always done it for chest and tried lats yesterday. Way harder, my legs started quivering after 10 seconds. Geez

Derek Weaver
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, they're pretty rough. I like them a lot though.

Good stretch for the hip flexors, plus it's good to identify a little strength and tension in the stretched position.

Derek Weaver
03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I posted this over at Allen's log, but I'll record it here as well. Youtube link for the Brettzell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMnamNJZMBk&feature=player_embedded

Derek Weaver
03-22-2010, 06:14 PM
3/22/10 Monday
40 Day Program Day 1
Sumo Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 185
Incline Bench Press 2 x 5 @ 135
Pull ups 2 x 5 @ BW
KB Snatch 2 x 10/arm @ 1 pood -whoops
Ab Wheel 1 x 5 + 3 sec iso hold in extension

Notes:
- This felt more like a light warm up while working, a little winded and tired now.
- Pneumonia sapped my strength and enthusiasm for anything other than sleep more than any other time I've been sick or hurt
- Returning to work tomorrow, got a little frisky and hit it today.
- Goals are basically to go by feel. If I do all 40 days, then great. If I get to a point that I'm feeling a little stale, it'll cut short. I'd like 14-21 workouts at a minimum before getting bored.
- Got lots of other stuff going on, so this is good for a hectic couple of weeks that are coming. Once I figure some stuff out, I'll have another adventure to go on and report it here. I don't want to jinx it.

Arien Malec
03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Good to see you back in action. Keep it easy at first....

Derek Weaver
03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
3/23/10 Tuesday
40 Day Program Day 2
Sumo Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 185
Low Incline Bench (Close Grip) 2 x 5 @ 135
Pull up 2 x 5 @ BW + 10 lbs
KB Swing 1.5 pood x 25
Ab Wheel 1 x 5 w/ 3 sec. iso

Notes:
- Just wanted to move today. First day back at work took it out of me, but I figured moving a bit would be good. It was.
- Added weight to the pull ups, everything else was fine to stay super light. The pull ups weren't exactly heavy.

Derek Weaver
03-24-2010, 11:20 PM
3/24/10 Wednesday
40 Day Program Day 3
Sumo Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 205
Low Incline Bench Press 2 x 5 @ 145
Pull ups 2 x 5 @ BW
KB Swing 1.5 Pood x 25
Ab Wheel 1 x 5 w/ 3 sec iso hold

Notes:
- Deads felt really light. maybe it's because they in fact are very light
- Super tired today after work, just wanted to move around. Felt better after the workout. I actually feel like I need the activity from being so sedentary while sick, then going straight to a desk job.

Derek Weaver
03-25-2010, 04:32 PM
3/25/10 Thursday
40 Day Program Day 4
Sumo Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 225
Low Incline Bench 2 x 5 @ 155
Pull ups 2 x 5 @ BW + 10 lbs (BW ~165 lbs)
KB Snatch 10, 10, 5, 5 = 30 total 1.5 pood
Ab Wheel 1 x 5 w/ 3 sec. iso hold

Notes:
- Felt good and light all around. Had the day off work today. Get sick for 3 weeks, back at work for 2 days, take a day off. Nice.
- I think I'll be ready to get after something more aggressive, hip and ham centric sooner than later. Not sure how much or when. I'll know it when I am there though. We'll see this weekend how I feel since I'm planning on working out tomorrow and taking Saturday and likely Sunday off.
- I'm still a bit tired... go figure.

Derek Simonds
03-26-2010, 02:44 AM
At least you are moving. How are the lungs? Everything coming back together nicely? Where is this program from?

Derek Weaver
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Lungs are still a little weak. 25 swings or 30 snatches leave me wasted. Toughest part of the day.

40 Day Program is a DJ article. Saw it on t mag, but I'm sure it's elsewhere.

It's open to variation for length and exercises. Low intensity, high frequency.

Derek Simonds
03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Got it. Build up slowly on those lungs.

Derek Weaver
03-27-2010, 12:06 AM
3/26/10 Friday
40 Day Program Day 5
Sumo Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 235
Low Incline Bench Press 2 x 5 @ 135
Pull up 2 x 5 @ BW + 25
Swing x25 @ 1 pood- I just wanted to get these done Wuss weight, but I wanted good technically correct swings done. And by this point I wanted them over with quickly.
Ab Wheel 1 x 5 w/ 3 sec iso hold.

Notes:
- Everything felt light, but I was coughing a little so I wanted to get done. The Sumo DL does not seem to be conducive to sets over 3. I can't just crank them out with a minimal reset like conventional. Every rep's got to be reset for me.
- I made the bench light as my left shoulder felt a little weird. Better safe than sorry
- Something like this is good for a mini workout laboratory. Good way to observe things quickly and in a way self assess.

Weaknesses that I've started to see through thinking a lot when sick and thru the first 5 workouts are in no particular order: tightness in hips, weakness in glutes, even more weakness in hammies, weak/lengthened abs, I need more scapular retraction.

Derek Weaver
03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
3/29/10 Monday
A1) Back Squat for Mobility/Speed 135 lbs- 6 x 2 ~30 sec. rest
B1) RDL 135lbs- 3 x 10
B2) Low Incline KB Bench Press 2 x 53 lbs 3 x 8-10
C1) 1 Arm KB Bent Row 53 lbs 3 x 8-12
C2) Assorted Ab Work (planks, reverse crunches, Grappler's Twists etc.)

Notes:
- 40 Day Program was 5 and done. I admittedly get ADD, but also realized some glaring weaknesses that I didn't feel were getting addressed.
- Reminiscent of the Regular Guy Off Season Training Program. I was looking back and feel like this will allow me to train weakness the most.
- I am planning on getting all Cybernetic with this thing. Hit the lift, but don't kill myself if I don't have it. I don't want to destroy my CNS going for max effort lifts regularly when they're not there.

The next paragraphs are merely a ramble of the previous 12-15 months or so and what I think is just a part of why I am where I am (not a bragging post in any way):
I was thinking back over the weekend and realized I may have never fully recovered after getting sick last year, as in December/January of '08/'09. I was sick as a dog (bronchitis, high fever), didn't miss a day of work because I was finishing a probationary period as a new hire.

Basically, I never fully healed, kept training, did some awesome things (Half Dome, Vancouver, Europe) that I would never give back in a million years, but kept going for a year straight. Even when I deloaded I was still in a high stress environment. It's time to listen to things a bit more and fix some issues.

The next few weeks will be a gradual workup of intensity, walking and occasional swings with the KB's, nothing crazy. Enough to help increase strength, start in on some weaknesses and imbalances, but leave me fresh enough to not crash and burn. I hope.

Derek Simonds
03-31-2010, 07:08 AM
After reading what you wrote I think the main thing is to make sure you are healed up fully. I like where you are going, of course I always like where you are going :D Your training ADD makes it easier for me to stay the course.

If you get the items you want addressed and come out healed this will be the best 4 to 6 week ever for you.

Derek Weaver
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah, no clear purpose for training leads to insane ADD. Current life situations tend to lead to program jumping. Everything is can be so stagnant and boring, my workouts are the only thing I can keep fresh.

Hopefully I can keep from burning out and falling apart and get consistent.

Derek Simonds
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Like you said you wouldn't trade what you did last year, half dome, etc... Enjoy it man whatever it is.

Derek Weaver
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
3/31/10 Wednesday
A1) Sumo Deadlift up to 305 x 1, then moderate sumo x 1, then conventional x 1- see why below
B1)Skater Split Squat 3x8/leg x Bodyweight
C1) GHR 3 x 6, 9, 8
C2) Circular Sit ups x 2 (no idea on reps), HLR x 2 (10, 10)

Notes:
- Took a ton of reps on my way to 305. This felt heavy with "classic" sumo stance. Moved it in a bit, more moderate and it felt better. Took a single with a conventional stance and it felt super light, no problem on the back/loss of lordosis, glutes fired, hammies engaged. Perplexing. Maybe all the sumo work served as effective activatioN? Odd. I'll stick with sumo of varying widths for a while.
- Pulled things back a bit after the deads to keep from over extending.

Derek Weaver
04-01-2010, 08:36 PM
4/1/10 Thursday
A1) Bench Press 5 x 3 @ 185
A2) Pull Up 5 x 3 @ BW (~167 today) + 35 lbs
B1) KB Piston Press x8/side 1 pood
B2) Ring Body Row 3 x 8
C1) Gymnastic Rings Fallouts 3 x 10
C2) Band "No Money" 2 x 6 Underhanded, 2 x 6 Overhand (not sure, if this is supine and pronated? Whatever)

Notes:
- I actually did the bench as single rep clusters. I was a little unfocused and wanted to make each rep a good one. Even with a light weight it was a little wobbly the first two sets. Then I dialed in.
- Holy doms from yesterday. The glutes and hammies felt it this morning. Surprised as I purposely held back yesterday with this whole "work my way up, don't kill myself" thing.

Derek Weaver
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
4/5/10 Monday
A1) Box Squat 3 x 1 @ 245, 3 x 4 @ 205 (hah! I taped the center of my bar, as I realized I've been trying to squat with what's basically an Oly bar. Much more stable and easier on the back. You can say duh now. Ridicule below if you like)
B1) Deadlift 10 x 1 @ 205, 30 sec. rest
C1) RFESS @ 35 lbs 4 x 6/ leg.
D1) Ab Wheel Roll Out 3 x 12
Finished with stretching ~10 minutes

Notes:
- Rearranged a couple of things to make the corrective stuff a bit easier to implement outside my workouts. I want to hit the same total volume and roughly same frequency, but make the external rotator work, scap retraction, activation etc. on it's own at night. Swapped out RDL's with speed pulls at ~60% of 1 rm on the conventional so I can groove maybe 10 or so reps at least once a week. Good chance to cue the set up without psyching over the weight.
- Moving the set up a little should hopefully allow me to get the lower body situated and the upper body more of a secondary focus. I'm not world burner, but I'm strong enough in the upper body for now and can accept slow gains, or even maintenance of current fitness/strength.
- The other thing I'm hoping is that eliminating the whole body workouts that were there in addition to a lower and upper session may help keep me fresh. I was so burnt on Saturday (which ended up being a workout that can be described as "messing around") that I was looking into what it takes to get an Adrenal Stress Index done.
- The lower stuff is basically taken from this article (http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/you_aint_got_no_meat_build_up_your_mirror_muscles&cr=), which is nearly identical, in terms of exercises, to what I had done, but with more of a guideline for loading. I'll substitute certain things if necessary, but this should be good. This is a good thing, as I consistently struggle to keep focused on a plan. If you are reading, you may have noticed.
- Since the lower body is the focus here, I won't throw a fit if I only get 1 upper workout/week. I figured there would be some changes as I am still figuring out where I'm at with my health and fatigue level. Some days I feel fine, others it's a struggle to walk from my front door to my truck.

Derek Simonds
04-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Last four workouts all look good. What is RFESS some sort of split squat?

Derek Weaver
04-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks.

RFESS= Bulgarian split squat. Maybe my favorite exercise currently. They pretty much suck though.

Allen Yeh
04-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I think the pneumonia has affected your brain...because I think I read that you said BSS is maybe a favorite exercise....

I do them because they are effective but ugh I hate them!

Derek Weaver
04-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah. They are awful. I have become a big fan of single leg work, but dude.... BSS/RFESS are torture. Especially with a bar on your back.

Arien Malec
04-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm rotating them in as well. They are, quite literally, a pain in the ass.

Derek Weaver
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah, sometimes I enjoy them quite a bit the first set, get second thoughts in the second set and wonder what I'm doing if I get into 3-4 sets. I like them from a mobility standpoint as well. I get a good opening of the hip on the elevated leg, especially after sitting all day at work.

4/6/10 Tuesday
A1) Bench Press 3x3 @ 210, 2x3 @ 190
A2) Pull Up 5 x 3 @ BW + 35 lbs (approximately a 200 lb load total today)
B1) Kettlebell Piston Press 3 x 12/side
B2) Body Row 3 x 12

Notes:
- Not a bad day. Dropped some weight on the bench for the last 2 sets. I felt like I was going to be headed for a Max Effort on the last set. Exactly the opposite of what I want.
- A little disappointed with the pull ups. I never came close to missing a rep, and was probably working with a 6-7 rep weight, but they didn't feel like real crisp reps. Maybe it was the superset.
- Not logging the low level corrective/prehab, flexibility or mobility stuff. Plenty of it though.
- I keep forgetting that I'm still coming back from freaking pneumonia. I feel better with the weights I've been using, even though the lack of consistency is idiotic.

Allen Yeh
04-07-2010, 03:38 AM
I feel you on the opening of the hip thing after being at work all day. BSS are evil but the skater squats were IMO much worse! Just using BW I started doubting myself after the 1st set....

I know what you mean bout pullups not feeling crisp, it's not hard but yet they feel off. Not sure why that is sometimes.

Derek Weaver
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
4/8/10 Thursday
Front Squat for Speed 8 x 2 60 sec. rest @ 135
Sumo Deadlift 4 x 5 @ 250
Reverse Lunge 4 x 8/leg @ 2x 35 lb KB's.

Notes:
- Front Squats felt real easy. I worked a lot of activation stuff and did some real light sets with the bar and 95 lbs cueing knees out, chest up and felt much better. Knees felt fine.
- Sumo deads can be quite a bit heavier. Maybe by ~15-20 lbs. Didn't want to get too nutty here though.
- Reverse lunges suck. That's all there is to it. Really not a fun exercise to do after sumo pulls.

Derek Weaver
04-10-2010, 10:43 PM
4/10/10 Saturday
A1) Incline Bench 3x3 @ 170 lbs
A2) Snatch Width Chins 3 x 3 @ BW + 35
B1) Ring Dips 3 x 10
B2) Ring Rows 3 x 10
C) KB C&P Ladder 1, 2, 3 @ 24 kg.

Notes:
- I couldn't find the training log and wasn't really into it after a really wild day at work. I actually felt great physically, I just didn't have it mentally after the day I had. If I had my log I wouldn't have had a problem doing whatever it was that was scheduled (I still have to go find it)
- I started the KB Ladder for some reason I can't explain, went through 1 and said "Screw it. I want to go eat." That was that.
- Everything but the KB work was light and easy. I'm off to bed. Not my ideal way to spend a Saturday, with a hectic day at work (working to begin with on a Saturday suck) and a lackluster workout. Then sleeping early. Oh well.

Derek Weaver
04-13-2010, 02:54 PM
4/12/10 Monday
A) Box Squat 3x1 @ 255, 3x4 @ 215
B) Speed Pulls 10x1 @ 215
C) RFESS 4x6/leg @2x35 lbs
D) Planks- front x 3x60 sec, Side x 2 x 30

Notes:
- Box squats are interesting. The weight doesn't feel heavy on my back, but coming off the box is rough. Big hammy/glute effort. I guess that's the point.
- Surprised I even lifted yesterday. Up @ o'dark 30, with maybe 5 hour of sleep, to give my Dad a ride to the airport, then worked 8 hours with an awful day. I consider working out and progressing after yesterday to be a moral victory). You take what you can get.

Derek Weaver
04-13-2010, 06:54 PM
4/13/10 Tuesday
A1) Bench Press 2 x 3 @ 215, 2x3 @ 200, 1x3 @ 190
B1) Weighted Pull up 5 x 3 @ BW + 45 lbs
C1) KB 1 Arm Push Press 3 x 8
C2) Body Row on Rings 4 x 8-12 (12, 11, 10, 8)
D) Ab Wheel 3 x 12

Notes:
- Felt good. Bumped the weight up on the top sets on bench and pull ups, couldn't stay up there with the bench though. I either progressed a touch on top end strength, or I'm the same and lost a little strength endurance. I'll call it a wash.
- Happy I could get solid reps with 10 lbs more on the pull ups. Reps felt good today.
- Weird day off of work today. I'm actually really looking forward to Tuesday, Sumo day. The hips/glutes/hammies are starting to fire more often. I feel it more when I do things like standing out of a chair, walking stairs etc. It's been a long time that I've been trying to work out the glute activation and associated problems. I think things are finally coming together as the programming has evolved a bit.

Derek Weaver
04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
4/15/10 Thursday
Box Squat for Speed 6 x 2 @ 185
Sumo Deads 3 x 5 @ 270
Reverse Lunge 4 x 8/side @ 2x 16 kg KBs
Ab Stuff

Notes:
- I was supposed to front squat, but it didn't feel right. I don't know what it was with the front squats, but it didn't really feel all that safe. The box squat felt fine and stayed real light. That felt like less than a 55-60% load.
- Sumo Deads were LIGHT. Way light. I figured last week I could pull another 15-20 lbs. I think I could have pulled an addition 20 pounds or so today but didn't want to get too nutty. I should have manned up. As my hips get stronger, I get excited to go for a heavy conventional pull.
- I'm going to do the 70s Big TSC I think once this 4 week deal is over. It's a good time to get a max pull in, plus test how terrible my lungs are. After that... who knows.

Derek Simonds
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
I missed it, 70's Big is running a TSC? Is it any particular time or just the concept that you should do it?

Derek Weaver
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
I missed it, 70's Big is running a TSC? Is it any particular time or just the concept that you should do it?

I think more the concept. I'll find the post. Something like end of the month. I'd wanted to do on a while ago when I was less weak and hadn't started falling apart.

Derek Weaver
04-17-2010, 07:01 PM
TSC: http://www.70sbig.com/?p=1534. I may be a little behind in posting what I get done since I'll be finishing up this 4 week P-Chain blast.

4/17/10 Saturday
A1) Bench 215, 200, 200 3 x 3x2 clusters (10 sec rest between clusters)
A2) Pull up 24 kg 3 x 3x2 clusters (10 sec rest)
B) KB C&P 3 x (1,2,3) 24 kg
C) Knees to Elbows 50 reps total

Notes:
- Clusters are hard. That's all I really have to say right now. Going to shower, eat and go watch the fights, lots of boxing and a Strikeforce event on tonight.

Derek Simonds
04-18-2010, 05:02 AM
We will do the TSC next weekend as it is our 5/3/1 DL week anyways.

Derek Weaver
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
4/19/10 Monday
Box Squat to 275 x 1 rep x 4 sets, 240 x 4 reps x 3 sets
Speed Pulls 245 x 1 rep x 10 sets
RFESS 95 lbs x 6 reps x 4 sets
Ab Wheel- no idea.

Notes:
- Box squats are supposed to elevate to a 1rm, but I work out by myself and don't have a cage. Saw Horses weren't accessible today. Things went well today as I think that's a 20 lb jump on the top end sets
- Speed pulls could have been heavier. My set up was nice though and I felt good.
- Next week is a bit of a deload that will culminate with the 70's Big TSC, which I think I'll be a week behind on. It's a good opportunity to test my max pull from the deck. I'm happy I've stuck to the plan this time through. My lower back, glutes and hamstrings are thanking me and benefitting greatly.

Derek Simonds
04-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Make sure when you do the TSC that you have Chicago blaring in the background...

Derek Weaver
04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
I was thinking of a different band for each lift. Chicago for the Deads, Journey for the Pull ups, and I'm not sure for the snatches.

Derek Simonds
04-21-2010, 01:52 PM
We are filming ours so let me know and we will coordinate! Maybe some Kiss?

Derek Weaver
04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
We are filming ours so let me know and we will coordinate! Maybe some Kiss?

There's too many awesome options. KISS could very well be the best one though.

I was originally thinking maybe old school Ozzy though. That may lead to an all out sprint on the snatches with a crap out around 20 reps.

Derek Weaver
04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
4/22/10 Thursday

No workout since Monday. Woke up yesterday and today with the stomach flu (again). I got the flu I think at the end of December, when I hadn't had the stomach flu for quote a while (Trying to think about it again, I think it's been anywhere between 10-18 years) and I get it again ~5 months later.

Throw in the recent pneumonia and... geez. I need to get things worked out with regards to health.

I'll try and get the 2nd lower body workout tomorrow, and whatever I can muster for an upper workout. Then, TSC for the 70's big site.

Allen Yeh
04-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Sucks....probiotics?

Derek Simonds
04-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Sucks....probiotics?

Ditto on both!

By the way I did 30 snatches in a row in 90 seconds and that was not the pacing I needed. Holee smokes that was brutal.

And seriously if you got the stomach flu don't do the TSC in a weakened state it ain't worth it.

Arien Malec
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
And seriously if you got the stomach flu don't do the TSC in a weakened state it ain't worth it.

Yes, that. Better to be healthy and well....

Get better.

Allen Yeh
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
My doc had me using something OTC called Bacid, it was like $25 I think, you might have to ask at the counter of the pharmacy. There was another liquid brand that is refrigerated that was supposed to be better but I didn't want to go on a pharmacy hunt for it.

Derek Weaver
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Shoulda clarified, TSC next weekend.

Stomach is pretty good now. Loaded up on the probiotics, stayed inside and followed the BRAT diet.

Allen Yeh
04-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Beer, Roasts, Antelope and.....Tiger?

Derek Weaver
04-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Beer, Roasts, Antelope and.....Tiger?

Haha, only if you're Elin Woods on Thanksgiving.

Bananas, Rice, Apples and.... Tea.

4/24/10 Saturday
Deadlift up to 335 for a single.
Pull ups 2 x (17, 13) + Push ups 2 x 20
Move the kettlebell for 5 minutes (swing it, rack it, clean, jerk whatever) 16 kg
2 x 3, 5 deadhang to l-hang with 5 second iso hold.

Notes:
- Sloppy training log today. In a rush for some family stuff, though I don't know what it is.
- Went through Z-Health R-Phase today and felt really good. There's a lot I'm missing I'm sure, but it's solid.
- No back rounding according to a third party observer on the deads. Set up horribly for 355 and called it a day. 335 felt pretty light actually.
- I went with what I felt like doing today for a couple reasons a) my week was already effed due to the stomach thing I had, b) wanted to get a feel for where to start for the TSC next week.
- No idea what this week holds in store since I kinda deloaded a bit early getting sick and all.

Derek Simonds
04-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Nice!

Derek Weaver
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm all messed up again. Tweaked the back on the left side somehow. Muscle's all knotted up. I'm sure that I hurt it somehow *ahem* while sitting at work, but it's not something I would file for workman's comp at this point. All the tension that job brings is terrible for injuries related to improper ergonomics (nobody's 100%), repetitive use etc.

I hate it. Since I took this job I've had some really good things happen, and some not so good things. G

Good: paid off all outstanding debts from college and saved a pretty nice nest egg. Done some cool travel stuff (Vancouver, Europe = Awesome and unforgettable)
Bad:
Sick nearly constantly. Haven't slept well in ~18 months, seriously. Developed some nasty imbalances and deficiencies. Grown more frustrated with things in general than ever before.

The solution:
This is where some of my training ADD and hints at a new adventure come into play. I had applied for a job as a seasonal firefighter, but it doesn't look like I got in, since I haven't gotten a reply on the applications I turned in. No biggie.

I'm also in the process of applying for a work and travel visa in Australia. If that doesn't work out, I have been accepted into a TEFL program, that trains for 6 weeks in Costa Rica either June or August, depending on availability/timing stuff.
Until then, I'll train by feel as much as possible. I'll try and squat, pull and press each session in some way, whether barbells, KBs or bodyweight stuff. Work up to a heavy 5, 3 or 1, then take a few or a bunch of sets at that rep + weight. I just want to be flexible, get bit stronger and have some fun with the KB's again.

either way I'll be travelling alone in the next 1-6 months or so, for up to a year, possibly more depending on which way I go.

Oh, and my family is getting ready to sell the house I grew up in for close to 20 years since moving from Texas. Kind of a big deal as I moved once in my life (not counting college), and that was when I was still quite young. Weird.

My sig says it all for my mindset recently.

And no 70's big TSC this weekend, maybe next if I can get this knot to release in my back.

Derek Simonds
04-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Enjoy the adventure!

Arien Malec
04-30-2010, 09:31 AM
My advice, FWIW: Go with the adventure now - it only gets harder to have it later.

TEFL in Costa Rica sounds like a great experience. I love Costa Rica...

Derek Weaver
05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, when I go it'll be likely August or later. I want to stick around for the move. I've got some other stuff to help get some sort of cash flow in the works as well. Living in the big cities in Australia can be quite expensive from what I've researched, and TEFL programs will leave me breaking even from the looks of it.

5/2/10 Sunday
Back Squat (High Bar) 225 lbs x 3 sets x 5 reps
Snatch Grip DL 235 lbs x 3 x 3
Press 115 lbs 3 sets x 5 reps
Pull ups (6, 8, 10) x 2
Abs 2 x 12 Dead hang to L-Hang (don't know if there's a real name for this)

Notes: (stole this workout from the CA archives http://performancemenu.com/wod/index.php?show=wod&dailyID=671. May keep the strength stuff in 2-3x/week with room for other stuff)
- Back felt much better by Friday, all good today
- I've made great progress on the hips, shoulders and T-Spine extension/mobility and squatting wasn't a problem today.
- I would like to find a happy medium regarding squatting. Heavy 3x/week ain't gonna happen. 2x/week, maybe. Heavy Medium Light, possible.
- Press was supposed to be 5 x 5, but I felt real fatigued and cut the volume a bit. Got some other plans/ideas that may make it a wise decision. I swear I used to press 155 x 3 x 5 without too much problem.

Derek Weaver
05-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Haven't posted in a bit. Training even more hectic with some stuff going on. workin the KBs a few day slast week after feeling like I got hit by a truck with the barbell stuff.

Coincidentally, it looks like I'll be moving my squat stand, bench, barbells, bumpers etc. into storage as we get ready to move in the next 1-2 months. KBs are staying though since they take up such little room.

Also, as much as it sucks, the Econo Prowler is going up for sale. I only got to use it maybe 5 times with injuries and all I have been taking, but I have no idea where I'm going to live, and it's likely not going to be easily stored wherever I go. It's got no signs of wear on it.

Anyone who wants it, I'll give PMenuer's first crack before it goes on Craigslist. It goes for $269 right now plus shipping, which pushes it over $300 if you get it from EFS.

Not sure how much to post it for, maybe $200, but I'm not too keen to foot the bill for shipping. Either way it should be ~$75 cheaper than buying from Elitefts

Kevin Perry
05-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I might take it off your hands, how soon are you looking to sell it?

Derek Weaver
05-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I might take it off your hands, how soon are you looking to sell it?

Heh, yesterday. Seriously though, if I don't have any takers by Wednesday (including figuring out the shipping issue, if there is one) then I'm going to post it to Craigslist or ebay.

The move has come up on us quickly, and I need to downsize ASAP.

Kevin Perry
05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
ah well thats cool then. I thought I might be able to get it but guess I don't have extra funds oh well. good luck on the sale.

Derek Weaver
05-10-2010, 10:32 PM
5/10/10 Monday
KB C&P 24 kg 5 x (1,2,3) + Pull ups (1,2,3) between each l/r "rung"
Snatches 16 kg, 9 minutes. NO idea how many reps approx 50% effort

Notes:
- Had a funeral to go to today. Rough. Good friend of ours father passed away. I'd known him ~16 years.
- Doing the Rite of Passage from ETK. Not sure I tested correctly. I know that the 16 kg is too light for presses, but the 24 kg may be a little heavy for snatches. We'll see.
- I do the snatches GS style instead of Hardstyle. Mainly because whenever I snatch the 'bell HS, I bang my wrist. GS and I'm fine.
- If anyone has done the ROP, please chime in. I'm not sure if I'm programming it correctly. It doesn't seem that difficult, but my mind's been so out there I'm struggling with reading comprehension.

On an unrelated note, and a definite positive, I was asked by our QA/Trainers to do some mentoring for new hires at my work. Been there 17 months, and I'm 26. Not to brag because the work isn't overly complicated, but I think I'm the youngest, and newest for quite a while to do this. Even though I dislike my work so much, it's still kinda cool.

Derek Weaver
05-11-2010, 08:17 PM
5/11/10 Tuesday
Variety stuff.

KB Get Up 5 x 1 L/R @ 24 kg (holy cow that felt heavy. Must have been fatigued from yesterday)
Deadlift- Kept it @ 275, no idea how many reps. Just kept pulling singles with short rest until it felt right. Not heavy, I just couldn't feel the hammies load for probably 5+ reps
Toes to Bar 3 x 10.

Notes:
- Variety Day. I'd prefer to pull a bit heavier, but things felt off today. I've been sitting a lot more lately. Not good for pulls or anything else worth doing.

Arien Malec
05-12-2010, 09:45 AM
What's the status on wild adventure?

Derek Weaver
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Still figuring some stuff out. I won't leave until this house is sold and the new one is moved into. Likely August. I'm working on getting rid of quite a few positions right now so that once it's time I can leave. Destination is still TBD.

5/12/10 Wednesday
C&P 24 kg 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4) + Pull ups (1 c&P r/l, 1 pull up, 2 c&p r/l, 2 pull ups...)
Swings 3 minutes 70-80%. No idea how many reps.

Notes:
- I'm in an interesting spot. I believe that this saturday I will hit 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) on the ladders, which would indicate moving to a heavier bell already. It could be that I'm a fairly decent presser naturally, but my snatches are way behind. I'll use the 24 kg next week, but I am nowhere near the 200 in 10 minutes for the US Secret Service Snatch Test.
- The other conundrum is that I'd be jumping up to the 32 kg, which may make it a little interesting as it's a 17 lb jump or so.
- I knew that the program minimum was a little light as I could get more out of pressing, but I wonder if I got ahead of myself. Oh well, I guess I'll move onto the 32 whenever it is time. That should definitely keep me busy for a while if that's the jump to make.

Derek Weaver
05-15-2010, 09:50 PM
5/15/10 Saturday
C&P 24 kg 5x( 1,2,3,4,5) + Pull ups (same as above)
Swings 4 minutes to limit. No idea how many swings, but I almost puked. Fran sucks compared to legit, Russian KB swings.

Notes:
- Good news and bad news. I can move up a 'bell. Bad news is the next heaviest bell is the 32kg. Nearly a 20 lb jump.
- It's interesting in that I decided against the Program Minimum for a couple of reasons: my strength was already fine for the 24 kg Right of Passage, + I knew I'd get bored. Once I complete the 32 kg ROP, I'll move along to Return of the Kettlebell. Maybe. It'll take me a while to get through that one though.
- I will likely keep the snatches with the 16 kg. If I do the 24 kg, I'll do them density style instead of straight through.

Derek Simonds
05-17-2010, 05:08 AM
Real nice job on the C&P. I don't think I could do that ladder right now.

Arien Malec
05-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Strong work. I'm 100% confident that the 32kb bell is going to be a whole different thing...

Kevin Perry
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
32kg just sounds outright painful and scary, awesome stuff.

Derek Weaver
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I remembered how much fun I had with the KBs last summer and wonder why I got away from them.

5/17/10 Monday
C&P 32 kg 3 x (1, 2, 3) + Pull ups as before- surprisingly okay.
Snatches 5 r/l on the minute for 5 minutes, density style.

Notes:
- The 32 kg was not that bad. I was never anywhere near failure.
- I did have to take a bigger rest between rungs/ladder as well as ladders.
- Snatches were going to be for 10 minutes, but my hands started to feel like I was headed for a tear so I quit for the day. I'll get some sand paper and get after it again next week. Lots of swings this week.
- I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I am in no way intimidated by the 32's. That could change as I go after 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Derek Weaver
05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
5/18/10 Tuesday
Variety Day. Messed around with bottoms up cleans + presses @ 16 kg. Did some double snatches and 2 Hand Anywhows.

Afterwards ran through some "dry drilling" for some Krav Maga techniques. I saw a video of Tommy Blom on youtube (got there from the TGU video Derek S. linked in Allen's log) and realized I should have been doing this the last couple years.

Found out there's an academy not far from my house, maybe 10 minutes max. Not sure how I didn't know it was there. Depending on what happens I may try and get in there for some training until the house is sold and I get out of here.

David Boyle
05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Krav Maga is nice. And Blom is a beast!

I get a lot of inspiration and ideas from the videos on youtube...its not the same as the real instruction you get from a training center..don't have the time to go to one...I would jump on that if I was you.

Derek Weaver
05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Krav Maga is nice. And Blom is a beast!

I get a lot of inspiration and ideas from the videos on youtube...its not the same as the real instruction you get from a training center..don't have the time to go to one...I would jump on that if I was you.

Yeah, I'm a real big fan. I advanced rank fairly quickly while I was still on college, but there were a couple of stretches there when I trained 5-6 days/week and at times 2-3 times per day. I'd do the intro class, then go into the intermediate class, then spar with the Muay Thai fight team at night. I was either working Krav, Muay Thai or BJJ, and all 3 benefitted from each other.

I just figured out where I may be moving soon, so this school may not happen, but the place I may go to (super secret, I'll know in ~10 days time) has plenty of martial arts resources.

The Marines have a solid martial arts program of their own. Any chance you could get going with that?

Arien Malec
05-19-2010, 08:30 AM
I just figured out where I may be moving soon, so this school may not happen, but the place I may go to (super secret, I'll know in ~10 days time) has plenty of martial arts resources.

I think that rules out CR...

Allen Yeh
05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
A month ago I was watching Fighters Quest on HD network and they spent the week in Israel, one guy trained with this female top KM instructor and one guy spent the week with the Israeli Army. That was insane, both of the guys are MMA guys but they were pulverized by both instructors. It was f'ed up!

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/fightquest/worldfightmap_israel.shtml

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/30876-fight-quest-israel-video.htm

Derek Weaver
05-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I think that rules out CR...

Yes and no. Depending on how the chips fall, Costa Rica could still be very much in the picture.

A month ago I was watching Fighters Quest on HD network and they spent the week in Israel, one guy trained with this female top KM instructor and one guy spent the week with the Israeli Army. That was insane, both of the guys are MMA guys but they were pulverized by both instructors. It was f'ed up!

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/fightquest/worldfightmap_israel.shtml

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/30876-fight-quest-israel-video.htm
Nice find there. I have seen that episode, and they don't mess around in Israel. I took part in a seminar led by Sam Sade (who admittedly didn't have the most fun in his lone MMA bout) and was blown away.

Is Krav Maga a good idea for a mixed fight with rules? nope. Is it great for street defense. Yes.

5/19/10 Wednesday
C&P 32 kg 4 x (1,2,3) + Pull ups as before
Swings 8 minutes 60-70% of max effort. No idea about reps, heart rate was up.

Notes:
- Per the book, I've shifted the C&Ps to one clean and however many presses for that rung. The cleans take it out of me. However, I think that to test and pass this progression I need to clean before each rep. I will focus on strength first here and let the swings and snatches do the fitness stuff.
- Good workout. I have a hard time keeping track of effort. I either crush it, or limp through. Gotta find the middle gear.

David Boyle
05-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm a real big fan. I advanced rank fairly quickly while I was still on college, but there were a couple of stretches there when I trained 5-6 days/week and at times 2-3 times per day. I'd do the intro class, then go into the intermediate class, then spar with the Muay Thai fight team at night. I was either working Krav, Muay Thai or BJJ, and all 3 benefitted from each other.

The Marines have a solid martial arts program of their own. Any chance you could get going with that?

Thats an awesome routine.

Thanks...I'm glad you think so. I actually teach usmc martial arts (mcmap for short). I'm going on (2) years now. Its a good program. Its still new...2001 was the beginning and its evolved pretty well...imo. Thats the main reason why I study and research other combatives...to help me be a better teacher...I still need a lot of work on my ground game though as well as other areas...but thats the great thing about learning...

Like Bruce Lee said:

"A little learning can be a dangerous thing!"

Good luck w/ that move.

Derek Weaver
05-20-2010, 07:13 PM
5/20/10 Thursday
Variety Day.
5x1 TGU @ 24 kg r/l
Messed around with Double Snatches 2x16 kg + 2 Hand Anyhows

Worked some punch stuff with the bag. Promptly split a knuckle.

Allen Yeh
05-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Ouch....

Derek Simonds
05-21-2010, 04:28 AM
5/20/10 Thursday
Variety Day.
5x1 TGU @ 24 kg r/l
Messed around with Double Snatches 2x16 kg + 2 Hand Anyhows

Worked some punch stuff with the bag. Promptly split a knuckle.

You didn't wrap your hands? If you don't have some cheap MMA gloves grab them you can hit the heavy bag and do KB work without having to take them off. In fact you have convinced me that is probably what I need to start doing for some conditioning.

I have to post a video of me doing TGU's with my kids. I convinced Tracy to let me try one with her...

Derek Weaver
05-21-2010, 07:19 AM
You didn't wrap your hands? If you don't have some cheap MMA gloves grab them you can hit the heavy bag and do KB work without having to take them off. In fact you have convinced me that is probably what I need to start doing for some conditioning.

I have to post a video of me doing TGU's with my kids. I convinced Tracy to let me try one with her...

I actually did have those gloves on. Not sure what happened.

Derek Simonds
05-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I actually did have those gloves on. Not sure what happened.

Well that really sucks. Hope it isn't too bad.

Derek Weaver
05-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah, its not too bad. I guess I should have just gone with the boxing gloves.

Derek Simonds
05-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Yeah, its not too bad. I guess I should have just gone with the boxing gloves.

Hard to swing KB's in boxing gloves :D

Derek Weaver
05-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Hard to swing KB's in boxing gloves :D

True, but I don't plan on combining KB work with any sort of combat stuff.

5/22/10 Saturday
C&P 32 kg (clean once, press the ladder- per the book) 5 x (1, 2, 3)
Snatches 16 kg, 200 total reps. 100 r/l broken into sets of 10-20
Abz- Toes To Bar 3 x 10

Notes:
- I do some sort of ab movement for at least 1-2 sets each session, forget to log it.
- Supposed to be swings to limit today, but I didn't feel like puking and instead did 200 snatches. Not sure how that's better. No idea bout the time.
- Ladders were good. The first two ladders were a little slow, by the 3rd I was good. I gotta get the CNS fired up a bit better still.
- Just got back from watching the Vazquez-Marquez IV fight with some friends. Liked Mares in the opener, disappointed in the main event. Time for Izzy to hang 'em up with cuts like that.

Arien Malec
05-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Strong work with the C&P. What was your barbell press max before this? Would be interesting to see how the barbell total moves...

Derek Weaver
05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Strong work with the C&P. What was your barbell press max before this? Would be interesting to see how the barbell total moves...

Never figured out a 1rm on the Barbell Press, but looking back on my log around late Nov '08, I pushed 150x5, 2, and 3 with a push in one workout.

Thinking back to last year, I could press the 32 for 1 rep. Yesterday I pressed it for 30 reps total/arm. I'd say that overall, I am weaker over the last two years (sitting so much and not being able to really deadlift safely will do that. Training ADD doesn't help), but with upper body push and pulling movements I'm at least even, in some stuff stronger.

If I hit 5x(1,2,3,4,5) then I'll check out the press. I'm going to have to sell off just about everything but the KB's soon before I make the move. No place to store everythingk.

Derek Weaver
05-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Sorry, above that was an actual press for 150 x 5, a set of 2 and a set of 3 push presses.

5/24/10 Monday
Light Day
C&P 5 x 1 @ 32 kg + pull ups 5 x 1 @ 24kg
Snatches @ 24 kg x 3r/3l on the minute, density style for 10 minutes

Notes:
- Finally started to figure out the progression and all that for the Right of Passage. Working heavy enough now that it makes sense.
- Snatches are just supposed to be ~50-60%. I wanted to use the 24 kg since that's what the test is. I figure I'll alternate a little with the 16 kg being used for longer stuff if that's what's on tap.
- By the way, anyone looking for a sneaky stressor for the biceps, do KB snatches GS style.

David Boyle
05-24-2010, 07:01 PM
True, but I don't plan on combining KB work with any sort of combat stuff.

5/22/10 Saturday
C&P 32 kg (clean once, press the ladder- per the book) 5 x (1, 2, 3)
Snatches 16 kg, 200 total reps. 100 r/l broken into sets of 10-20
Abz- Toes To Bar 3 x 10

Notes:
- I do some sort of ab movement for at least 1-2 sets each session, forget to log it.
- Supposed to be swings to limit today, but I didn't feel like puking and instead did 200 snatches. Not sure how that's better. No idea bout the time.
- Ladders were good. The first two ladders were a little slow, by the 3rd I was good. I gotta get the CNS fired up a bit better still.
- Just got back from watching the Vazquez-Marquez IV fight with some friends. Liked Mares in the opener, disappointed in the main event. Time for Izzy to hang 'em up with cuts like that.

Awesome stuff on KB's. Ladders are great.

Derek Weaver
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I like doing these. The first run through with the 24 was too easy and I ended up with a ton of volume up front over a short amount of time. The 32 is going more according to plan I think.

5/25/10 Tuesday
Variety Day.
Worked some speed stuff, and basic attacks on the bag. Maybe 15-20 minutes. No set time limits/rounds.
Get ups: 2 x 1 r/l 24 kg. Realized that as I've gotten better at these that I was compensating quite a bit. Kicked it down to the 16 kg and did maybe 10 more/arm. Smoked.
Toes to Bar: 3 x 10
Ring Push ups 3 x 10

Notes:
- Looking at this, it appears that I have something against my own mid section. This could be interesting tomorrow morning rolling out of bed.
- I was going to post this in Derek S. log in relation to his nice Front Squat PR (nice job again) but decided not to hijack it::
The more I think, the more I think that nearly everyone could spend some time working on stability (not in the CF sense, but doing stuff like front squats, overhead holds, holds in extension like planks, ab wheel roll outs with a pause, goblet squats like these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFHdl5CaLk&feature=player_embedded)) etc and probably pile on 30-40 lbs per lift depending on where the lifter is at with their progress.
- The above is where I think the TGU comes into play. It's a good movement that goes unnoticed far too often. I'm sure I'll forget this soon. Maybe even tomorrow, but at some point, my shoulders will ache a little, or I'll notice that I'm wobbly through the center under a big lift and I'll go back to them as a warm up or a workout on their own. Just let it be known that I had this epiphany and recorded it here. I've recorded quite a bit here, but have unfortunately hopped around too much or forgotten most of it.
- I fly out to scout the next great adventure, and likely place for my residence. I don't leave until the late afternoon, so I should still hit my workout. Back late Friday/early Saturday and then due for a sendoff for a couple friends headed back to Europe for the summer. Endless summer @ 26 years of age I guess.

Derek Simonds
05-26-2010, 03:44 AM
A) I like your epiphany
B) You have had quite a few
C) You can hijack my log anytime you want!

Kevin Perry
05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Europe sounds good.

The TGU is a hard movement to get down, I have never known if I am doing it correctly without someone to coach it.

Derek Weaver
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
A) I like your epiphany
B) You have had quite a few
C) You can hijack my log anytime you want!

A) Thanks
B) Yeah, I forget a lot of it though and "rediscover" quite a bit.
C) Thanks. I'll try and keep it to new thoughts.

Europe sounds good.

The TGU is a hard movement to get down, I have never known if I am doing it correctly without someone to coach it.

Europe would be cool, but it's not for me again this summer. One of my buddies is going to stay with a girl he met a while back working as an Adventure Guide. I don't know how the other is doing it. They're both teachers and have summers off.

The TGU is definitely tough. There are a few ways of teaching it as well, which makes it more difficult when it gets to information overload.

Derek Weaver
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
5/26/10 Wednesday
C&P 32 kg 5 x (1, 2)
Swings 24 kg 6 minutes to ~65% max

Notes:
- Presses were easy today. That's a good thing. Goal for Saturday's "Heavy" day is 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4). If I hit that I have a good chance at completing the press portion of the ROP quite quickly.
- Flying out in the next 3.5 hours. Have a good rest of the week everyone.

Derek Weaver
05-29-2010, 01:36 PM
5/29/10 Saturday
"Heavy Day"
C&P 32 kg 5 x (1, 2, 3, 4)
Swings 1 minute - see below.

Notes:
- Really tired from the trip. Felt good until the 3rd ladder. Had to grind it out at that point.
- Stopped the swings cause there was no snap. Got a tee time @ 4 pm and another tomorrow morning so I figure I'll walk a ton and make up for it.
- Trip was good, scouted some good stuff. More details to follow soon.

Arien Malec
05-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice job on the C&Ps. Going to buy another 'bell soon?

Derek Weaver
05-30-2010, 12:57 PM
thanks. don't know about buying another one. I don't care much for the regular cast iron kb's, and the only comp. size bells that go past 32 kg that I've found are from the AKC, and they're expensive as hell.

I still have to complete the snatch test with the 24 kg, so I may start ladders with 2x 24 kg's or something else for pressing.

Derek Weaver
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Just to log it when I wonder where my training went for a few days to a week:

Sick as a dog. Played golf on Saturday and felt run down, but tired only. Not sick. Had to scrap the golf game Sunday to move a bunch of stuff around and out of the house as it's going on the market in 2-3 weeks and started to feel it in the back of my throat.

Yesterday, still felt it, but went to a barbecue to hang out with some friends. Left after maybe 3 hours, rode BART back home and was slammed. No work today (in trouble I think since it's the first day back from a holiday). Getting worse in some ways, better in others.

I've been thinking that on my variety days I should still do some barbell work while I still have the equipment. I'll be selling most of it off I think when I make the move, and don't want to invest in a gym membership when I may be gone soon. Something easy like 2-3 sets of squats, 2-3 sets of rows + dips, 2-3 sets of straight leg deadlifts. Not sure yet.

Derek Weaver
06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
6/1-6/8/10
Just updating since I seem to have tossed my written training log.

still sick. Yesterday cleaned out a house for time. Set a PR of 7.5 hours. Functional movements, moderate intensity, constantly varied. CF sucks compared to getting a house ready to sell.

Tweaked the knee carrying stuff up and down stairs. Had trouble with this knee when I was still an athlete who, uh, competed in sports and stuff. Along with the beating my knees took squatting and front squatting I'm not surprised. Stiff and sore, but I think okay.

If I feel okay tomorrow I'll do some double clean and presses and try and get the ROP started again with the 32 kg next week.

Allen Yeh
06-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Being sick sucks.....getting over pink eye(s) right now and trying not to come down with strep...UGH

Derek Weaver
06-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Being sick sucks.....getting over pink eye(s) right now and trying not to come down with strep...UGH

It sure does. It seems like everything that's gone around has been especially nasty. Good luck with the eyes and avoiding strep.

Derek Simonds
06-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Both of you get better!

Derek Weaver
06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Thank you sir. Trying my best to actually get healthy, 100%. Don't know how long it's been since I didn't feel like some level of crap.

6/10/11 Thursday
KB complex 2x16 kg x 3 + 2 x 24 x 1 complexes: Rack KBs, Press x 8, front squat x 8, clean x 8, deadlift x 8.
Pull up + Ring Push up 2 x 10
Ab stuff

Notes:
- Didn't want to get tired. The one complex at 24 kgs was rough. I just wanted to see if I could do it.
- I'll see what comes tomorrow. got a lot of workers and all in the house, so most of my days have been spent recovering and being around in case something happens or they need something.

Derek Weaver
06-12-2010, 03:12 PM
6/12/10 Saturday
Dan John Complex A Rep scheme: 8-4-6-2. Weights: 95-100-105-110
Row
Clean (I went with power cleans)
Front Squat
Press
Back Squat
Good Mornings.

Notes:
- My conditioning sucks, my strength suck. But this complex is fun.
- Honestly, I have no idea what the training will look like looking ahead. I usually have an idea, then get sidetracked, but this time I'm not even going to fake it. Between the move, all the workers in the house etc. I figure I'll do what I can. This will probably be complexes since I can get a big hit in a short amount of time.
- Once things settle down I'll finish the ROP with the 32kg. I want to get those 200 snatch reps.

Kevin Perry
06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
ha that makes two of us where conditioning is concerned. You feeling any better?

Derek Weaver
06-12-2010, 06:23 PM
ha that makes two of us where conditioning is concerned. You feeling any better?

Yeah, good enough to work out. The weight on these complexes is pathetic, and I'm curious as to where some of my limit strength is. I'd hazard a guess that my DL is up just by way of the P-Chain being woken up from the swings/cleans/snatches.

I'm guessing the conditoning is a product of ~2 weeks off. At least I hope so. Practically all I was doing was swings, C+P and snatches prior to getting sick again.

Derek Simonds
06-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Gald to hear that you are feeling better. I see no reason why you should plan on anything right now. Just go where your body takes you.

Derek Weaver
06-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks Derek. I am guessing I'll probably pick from a few different complexes and just get whatever feels good for the day.

6/14/2010 Monday
KB Complex: Press, Front Squat, Clean, Deadlift with 2 kbs.
3 x 8 @ 16 kg x2
2 x 5 @ 24 kg x2
HLR 2 x 10

Notes:
- Felt alright. I can probably grind 8s on the 24s, but I'll try and remember to work up to them, then add sets. Maybe a wave load if I stay consistent with it.
- Supposed to do pull ups (kind of a personal must per workout), but I was tired. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

Allen Yeh
06-15-2010, 03:13 AM
I hear you on the pullups.

Derek Weaver
06-15-2010, 07:19 AM

I'm not sure where, but I somehow got it ingrained in my thinking that "pulling your own weight" is a good useful "functional" capability. Once I can't do 10 strict pull ups, I'll know that I've either eaten too much, not worked out for a while... or I'm old.

Derek Weaver
06-15-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm not sure where, but I somehow got it ingrained in my thinking that "pulling your own weight" is a good useful "functional" capability. Once I can't do 10 strict pull ups, I'll know that I've either eaten too much, not worked out for a while... or I'm old.

Derek Simonds
06-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Careful on that old thingy... I can do 10 or maybe even 12 if I have to with no kip but man it is like work :D

Derek Weaver
06-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Hah. Anyone who has roughly 3x the activity level of me, and weighs 200+ lbs doing 10-12 pull ups is not anywhere near old.

6/15/10 Tuesday
Messed around on the heavy bag. Did some dry drilling of some Krav Maga stuff.
Did 3 set of pull ups + Ring Dips palms out (is this support?): 15 pull ups, 12 pull ups, 8 pull ups. 12 Ring dips, 10 ring dips, 6 ring dips.

Notes:
- Eh. Just wanted to hit something after work. That place is brutal right now.
- Pull ups were done since I didn't do them yesterday. That's all.
- I've got a really bad idea for tomorrow. I'm going to sleep on it before I record it.

Allen Yeh
06-16-2010, 04:27 AM

Put me in the not worked out for a while category...... yesterdays pullups were a struggle and embarrassing.

Arien Malec
06-16-2010, 10:14 AM

All three on my end :-)

Derek Weaver
06-16-2010, 12:31 PM
6/16/10 Wednesday
Deadlift x 5 @ 185, x 5 @ 215, x 5 @ 255
Complex E: 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (45, 55, 65, 65-whoos, 75, 85, 95, 105)
Power clean
Military press
Back squat
Good mornings
Behind the neck press
Front squat

Notes:
- Smoked after this. Nothing really felt heavy on the complex this time, but the sarco that you get doing something like this is crazy.
- I may mess around with a little 5/3/1 structure for ring dips, pull ups and deads. Or I may not. I figure I'll attempt to work at least some barbell stuff in with the complexes. As long as I feel good each day I'll go for it.
- No abs or pull ups, too tired.

Derek Simonds
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
- No abs or pull ups, too tired.

Ha! That is some funny stuff right there. I haven't done abz in so long. I was going along quite swimmingly and then poof just quit doing them. I figure I get plenty of ab work at BJJ. At least that is my story I tell myself...

Derek Weaver
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Ha! That is some funny stuff right there. I haven't done abz in so long. I was going along quite swimmingly and then poof just quit doing them. I figure I get plenty of ab work at BJJ. At least that is my story I tell myself...

You do get plenty of ab work doing BJJ, so I wouldn't worry. Me on the other hand, I'm just lazy.

I need to find a way to get a little more movement involved so my work capacity won't be so pathetic. then I can get those pull ups and ABZZZZ every workout that I intend to do them.

P.S.
I'm going to the Strikeforce event on June 26th, Fedor vs. Werdum. I've watched Fedor fight since he was in Rings. I've seen every one of his fights and was pumped when Strikeforce signed him since they're based in San Jose and I figured it was only a matter of time til he fought out here.

Just thought I'd drop that in there since my log has had more frustrations and negatives than positives lately.

Derek Weaver
06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
6/18/2010 Friday
Chin Ups 5 @ BW + 10, BW + 20, BW + 1 pood kb.

Assorted KB stuff, complex, double snatch, single snatch.

Assorted ABZZZ.

Notes:
- Did the chins, then got sidetracked moving some stuff around. Wanted to actually go for a little run, cause of the whole work capacity thing, but it's hot and the treadmill is all stacked up with stuff for the move right now.

Arien Malec
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Sometimes, fun is all you need.

Derek Weaver
06-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Sometimes, fun is all you need.

This is true.

As for today: No fun. Landscape backyard, by myself, for time. About 6 hours. Total weight lifted between rocks, bark, mulch, plants... I don't know. It's pretty much a brand new yard though.

Tomorrow is the front yard, then the Realtors take photos. I don't know when I'll train for real again. Could be tomorrow, Wednesday, July... who knows.

Derek Weaver
06-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Yesterday, landscape front yard. Again, pretty much a brand new yard. New plants, dug out a couple tree stumps (along with the dead roots).

6/23/10 Wednesday
Clean Pull up to 195 x 3 reps x 4 sets
Squat up to 205 x 3 reps x 6 sets (I think)
Weighted Chin + Weighted Ring Dip 5 reps x 3 sets @ 20 kg kb from waist.
Assorted ABZ

Notes:
- Mainly a recovery thing today. Everything but the upper stuff felt worse to start than end.
- I took the weights up as long as the set felt better than the one before it. Once I got to a point where I felt comfortable without straining, I kept it there until I felt like I was headed downhill.
- No KB stuff, after hoisting plants, bags of bark and mulch and digging for the last two days, I didn't think it was a great idea.

Derek Weaver
06-24-2010, 06:52 PM
6/24/10 Thursday
Run 1 Mile. Took 13.20. Did it on the treadmill, so I'm not sure how legit the time was.

Considering I've been sick and injured as well as baking each day doing manual labor (the complete opposite of my job) I'm just happy I did it.

Work on improving next time, perhaps tomorrow since we've got to be out of the house for like 4 hours.

Derek Weaver
06-26-2010, 01:38 PM
6/26/10 Saturday
Squat 5 (or 6?) x 3 @ 205
Dip 3 x 10 @ 44 kg kb
Pull up 3 x 6 @ 44 kg kb

Notes:
- Quick one. People going to look at the house soon and I wanted to get a workout in.
- Working the squat light and easy, staying tight and pushing to the edge of mobility. Surprisingly deep and stable.
- Staying as tight as I am on the squat is actually really fatiguing. Knees feel good too.

Derek Simonds
06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
6/26/10 Saturday
Squat 5 (or 6?) x 3 @ 205
Dip 3 x 10 @ 44 kg kb
Pull up 3 x 6 @ 44 kg kb

Notes:
- Quick one. People going to look at the house soon and I wanted to get a workout in.
- Working the squat light and easy, staying tight and pushing to the edge of mobility. Surprisingly deep and stable.
- Staying as tight as I am on the squat is actually really fatiguing. Knees feel good too.

Nice squat work!

Derek Weaver
06-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Thank you sir. Feels good to execute a lift without any discomfort.

6/28/2010 Monday
Squat up to 235 x 3 then back to 185 x 10 reps x 3 sets
Dip 4 x 6 @ 61 lbs (odd weight vest)
Chin up 4 x 6 @ 45 lbs
edit: chins, not pull ups. mistake.
Notes:
- Rebuilding the squat. 235 felt fine for sets across, but I want confidence in the lift. I was happy getting reps with no pain in the knees, and no apparent problems through the torso.
- A couple things: Thing 1- I haven't benched in a couple months now, and I feel better under the bar for a squat, high bar or low bar. Thing 2- Simple can be good. I was looking through old threads and saw the one from 2009 about Ironmind noting the squat, dip and chin being the best foundational movements. I'm with them for now as that's the easiest access for me currently.
- KB snatches tomorrow, shadow boxing, maybe a swim. Lots of free time all of a sudden, so I'll work on improving and planning ahead for the move/adventure. It's coming together and I'm finally feeling good about where things are going.

Allen Yeh
06-29-2010, 06:24 AM
You are killing it on the pullups!

Derek Weaver
06-29-2010, 09:55 AM
You are killing it on the pullups!

Thanks, I just realized I had a little typo and it's chins. Not sure how much I weigh, but if I'm lighter, then that would be an explanation for being able to get a few more reps with some weight added externally.

Derek Simonds
06-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Still solid though on the chins.

Derek Weaver
07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Thank you sir. I actually like chins more than pull ups. I can pull more weight, but for fewer reps when just bodyweight than I can with regular pull ups.

6/30/10 Wednesday
Squat up to a single @ 240. Felt easy enough for a few sets of triples, but I had some pain in the left glute/SI joint area and stopped.
Dips 4 x 7 @ 61 lbs
Chins 4 x 7 @ 45 lbs.

Notes:
- Once I hit 4 x 8 on each exercise I'll add a few lbs and drop the reps again. At least that's what the thought is today.
- I feel like deadlifts of some sort are a good idea. RDLs or stiff legged deads over conventional may be smart right now.
- Short on sleep made for a loooooong warm up/ready time.

Derek Simonds
07-02-2010, 04:04 AM
My chins are definitely stronger and have more reps than my pull ups. I am doing both each week working on volume. I agree I think any DL variant would be a good addition.

Derek Weaver
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
My chins are definitely stronger and have more reps than my pull ups. I am doing both each week working on volume. I agree I think any DL variant would be a good addition.

7/2/10 Friday
Squat 7x3 @ 205
RDL 3 x 8 @ 155
Dip 4 x 8 @ 61 lbs
Pull up 4 x 6, 7, 7. 7 @ 45 lbs

Notes:
- Squats were a feel thing today. I noticed during warm ups that I was kind of losing it at the bottom, so I stayed fairly light, and worked triples making sure I went to the end of range with everything firing.
- Dips can progress, pull ups cannot.
- Been running 1-1.5 miles 3-4x/week last week and this week. Really low intensity. KBs kinda hard to get to and my CV system is woefully underdeveloped.

Derek Weaver
07-05-2010, 07:24 PM
7/5/10 Monday
Squat 5 x 2 @ 245
Pull up 3 x 15, 12, 10
Dip 3 x 12, 12, 10

Notes:
- Wasn't sure what to expect. Things got a little crazy celebrating the 4th.
- The squat is an ongoing and ever changing approach for me. I feel like my mobility is improving as I'm going about adding weight and/or reps gradually. I'm still weak, but I feel like I'll be able to pull from the deck safer if I redevelop the squat.

Derek Weaver
07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
7/6/10 Tuesday
2 sets x 3 reps x 300 meters @ ~80% effort.

Notes:
- Rest 3 minute between reps, 8 minutes between sets.
- Total workout time including cool down (didn't start the watch during warm up) = 33.20. Total volume = ~ 3200 meters including warm up, cool down, active recovery between sets etc. About as much as the steady state stuff I'd done the last 2 weeks.
- 300 meter times ranged from 60 seconds flat to 70 seconds on the final rep.
- Info for this can be found here: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/tp200p1.htm
- 3 days/week right now of running stuff, and it's all good since I've got loads of free time and it's good to get out of the house when realtors come by to show it to potential buyers.
-

Allen Yeh
07-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Interesting write up over there, the warmup seems really long?

5-10 min jog
10-15 min dynamic stretches
10-15 min general and event specific drills
4 to 8 easy run outs from 30-60 m's

Seems like on the short end it'd be 30 minutes and the long end over 45 minutes?

Derek Weaver
07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Interesting write up over there, the warmup seems really long?

5-10 min jog
10-15 min dynamic stretches
10-15 min general and event specific drills
4 to 8 easy run outs from 30-60 m's

Seems like on the short end it'd be 30 minutes and the long end over 45 minutes?

Yeah, I actually did some warm up stuff from past sports I'd done. I did the jog, dynamic stretches and mobility. I have no event, but there were some hops and stuff I did. Then I did a few easy run outs. Took more like 10-15 minutes.

At this point I A) am honestly not sure I have the endurance for that whole warm up. B) Know what needs loosening and what doesn't. To me, general is just that, general. In the weight room, I've kinda figured out that greater CNS activation is necessary, not sure on the track yet.

If I were actually competing in something, this might be different, but I don't need all of that to keep from getting injured for 300m runs. At least I don't think so.

Derek Weaver
07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
7/7/10 Wednesday
Squat 3 x 3 @ 185 as a warm up more than anything
Deadlift up to 3 x 2 @ 305
Dip + Pull Up 3 x 8 (dips) 3 x 6 (Pull ups)

Notes:
- The squat was good. I suddenly was able to get into a really solid low bar position. Squatted back and down, deep, held it tight at the bottom and up. Good way to prep for the deadlift today and helped get things moving after yesterday.
- I was just happy I could get 300 + off the ground. It was actually easy. With the DOMS from yesterday and the lack of pulling in the last 1.5 years or so I didn't know what would come from this.
- Dips and pull ups were done to what made sense after warming up. Have to rethink the progressions here I think.

Derek Simonds
07-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Nice pulls! GLad to see you getting some weight off the floor again pain free.

Derek Weaver
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks. I figured something that felt heavy but didn't trash the lower back would be good. After reading through the Strength Training For Sprinting thread I figured deads several times/week and less squatting (at least heavy) would be a good idea.

7/8/10 Thursday
Supposed to be 3 x 6 x 80 m (3' + 8' rest)
Only got to 1 x 6, 1 x 4 - felt some lower leg discomfort and a warning from my right groin muscle and stopped before it went from a warning to an actual injury.

Notes:
- I chose this because I realized the other day that I'm slow and out of shape. I want to get fast again, and in better shape.
- It may be a little more or I may need to do some active recovery stuff in between because the lower legs are beat to hell.
- If anyone knows any other similar programs for 200 meter training, or can think of any tweaks, let me know.
- I actually really enjoyed Tuesdays workout, but I can't really do 300-400 m repeats 3-4 days/week when I would prefer to develop the speed and endurance to run a less than crappy 200m.
- Interesting stuff also considering I don't know how to sprint T&F style. Just sprint like on a rugby pitch or basketball court.

Kevin Perry
07-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Seems like things are working back into place for you, are you feeling pretty much recovered from all the sickness?