PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Garage Experiment

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Derek Weaver
07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah, for the most part. I've actually had some extended time off of work what with getting the house on the market for my folks, working on my own part time business/investment (fingers crossed here) etc. The reduction in stress has been key.

If and when the stress boots up again, I'll be sure to reduce the volume a ton and maybe focus more on track work with maintenance of strength stuff. Accepting either slow improvement or flat out maintenance would have been smart.

Derek Weaver
07-09-2010, 09:51 PM
7/9/10 Friday
Deadlift up to a couple singles @ 305. Same weight, less volume as 2 days ago.
KB Military Press 3 x 10 @ 24 kg x 2
Chins 50 reps total @ BW

Notes:
- So.... I was at dinner with my family as we figured we'd eat before catching the red eye to Kauai. Realized the dates were changed like a month ago but both my folks had it written down from the original. We don't leave until Sunday. It's some timeshare pitch that my Dad is actually thinking about. He grew up on the North Shore of Oahu as a kid and as he gets ready for retirement I think he's thinking about spending more time at home.
- Deads were fine. I was tired and beat up still from the track work.
- Looks like I'll get a run in tomorrow, which will be good. I think I may work more tempo stuff thru the week along with some lower leg conditioning stuff I found before getting into true speed work. I need a base of work capacity first, then I can make the engine go fast.

Arien Malec
07-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Kauai is awesome. A fitness regime of snorkeling in the AM and hiking in the afternoon can't be beat, especially with some pulled pork and cabbage as the dietary mainstay...

Derek Weaver
07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
7/10/10 Saturday
Supposed to be 2 x 8 x 200 m runs w/ 1' rest. ~75-80%
Calves and ankles just below calves started acting up so it because 1 x 4 x 200m 1'rest
4 x 400m job @ no more than 50%.

Notes:
- I've all but eliminated the heel strike, but I'm nowhere near conditioned to handle anything legitimate intensity wise. I remember a Strength Coach podcast with Gray Cook talking about the book Born to Run and how if it's still uncomfortable, your body doesn't want you to go any faster yet. I wish I remembered that before I started this.
- Odd how when I was a kid into high school and even college I could start running and be sore for a day, then be fine to go with no problem. Now I'm a whopping 26, and need to work my way into a running program that is supposed to be general conditioning.
- I figure what I should be doing, is daily conditioning of the lower body, but specifically lower leg (heel walks, toe walks, hop on toes etc.), then more volume with super low intensity.

Arien Malec
07-11-2010, 09:03 AM
The good news is that once your calves are up to it, it gets a lot better. Once I started to hill sprint, I would ache in the calves for days. Now, I can throw in sprints here and there with no problems...

Derek Weaver
07-12-2010, 07:18 PM
This is true Arien. It's really below my calves for the most part though. By the way, the weather here on Kauai is awesome.

I logged on cause I'm checking on some email and all that I can't let go while I'm on vacation and started thinking.....

My birthday is on the 28th of this month, and I'm up for a birthday challenge of sorts. No barbell pressing cause I've been dealing with an undisclosed wrist problem, but I'm up for KB, deadlift, squat etc. stuff. I don't know how much I can pull, but would figure I'd be willing to give anything short of 325 a shot for reps.

Basically, I need whoever checks in on this log to help me come up with a challenge. I turn 27 and will likely be more inclined to go for 27 of something, or a multiple of 27 (27, 54, 81 etc.)

That's it and I'll check in next week when I'm back.

Allen Yeh
07-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Have fun.....hmm diabolical birthday workout? Sweet!

I opt for heavy....9 rounds of 3 of suck....hmm...

Derek Simonds
07-13-2010, 04:13 AM
It is so odd that we are both Derek's and are birthdays are a day apart. Mine is the 27th so I have an easy challenge lets do a TSC. I haven't pulled heavy on DL in probably at least 6 weeks, I have been working on my P/U's and I know you will kill me on the KB stuff but that could be fun. I guess your challenge is to hit a minimum of 27 on the P/U's I am going for at least 20.

Let me know and enjoy Kauai.

Derek Weaver
07-18-2010, 08:05 PM
It is so odd that we are both Derek's and are birthdays are a day apart. Mine is the 27th so I have an easy challenge lets do a TSC. I haven't pulled heavy on DL in probably at least 6 weeks, I have been working on my P/U's and I know you will kill me on the KB stuff but that could be fun. I guess your challenge is to hit a minimum of 27 on the P/U's I am going for at least 20.

Let me know and enjoy Kauai.

Hell yeah, B-Day TSC.

When I was gone I was actually thinking about training and am thinking and hoping that it'll go something like this. Squat progression 1x/week from this blog:
http://jeffsteinberg.blogspot.com/2009/04/easy-way-to-gain-strength.html but maybe up to 6x2 then reset 10-15 lbs higher until it's a no go, then try and get up to 10-12x2 and reset with a bigger jump.

Deadlift often, several times per week depending on how I feel. Intensity and volume would have to wave according to how I'm feeling. Rarely pulling for high rep sets (more than 8's I suppose) or ME type stuff, but I feel like the only way to pull well again is to pull often at respectable intensities (relative to current capability) until I no long suck at deadlifts. Kind of 40 day workout, PTTP stuff but less structure overall than PTTP, maybe a leeeeetle more intensity wise than 40 day.

Upper body stuff 2-3x/week.

This could all change by the way when I workout tomorrow and everything goes out the window, but that's the current idea.

Kauai is awesome by the way. Just super laid back. As I mentioned in this log before, my Dad grew up on Oahu (Lanikai to be exact), my Grandmother is buried there, uncle, aunts, and a ton of cousins are all out there (mainly on the Big Island now). As much as my Dad is a Californian now, his roots draw us back there pretty often. I've been very fortunate to travel to Hawaii many times in my life (specifically Maui since my Mom loves it there and the family is cool to fly over for a few days to visit when we've been there), but Kauai is totally different. Of the four islands I've spent time on now, Kauai is slow going, easy breezy kind of feel with everything. I was trying to figure out if I could live there (no idea how I'd make a living)

The workout for the week 7/10 to 7/17 was: lay by the pool, see the canyon, water falls, eat good food and check out the beach (nothing is for time on Kauai). I came back feeling recharged and realizing how truly blessed I am. It's an attitude I need to remember and come back to with some potential rough spots ahead.

Derek Simonds
07-19-2010, 04:25 AM
That was an awesome read.

Derek Weaver
07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks, I figured writing something regarding perspective was a good idea. Now it's here and I can come across it any time.

7/19/10 Monday
Squat up to 2 x 2 @ 225
Straight Leg Deadlift 3 x 8 @ 135
Ring Pull up + ring Dip 3 x 12 each
Dynamic Plank (?) 3 x 12

Notes:
- First workout back after ~ 8 days off. Squats felt okay, maybe had 2 more reps in the tank, but it's cool.
- Straight Leg Deads are a killer. I felt fine doing them and figured it was more like a 12 rep weight for the first time I've ever done them. Now about an hour after doing them my hammies are already acting up.
- Some sort of pull on a regular basis, day one down.

Allen Yeh
07-20-2010, 04:17 AM
The workout for the week 7/10 to 7/17 was: lay by the pool, see the canyon, water falls, eat good food and check out the beach (nothing is for time on Kauai). I came back feeling recharged and realizing how truly blessed I am. It's an attitude I need to remember and come back to with some potential rough spots ahead.

Nice.

Derek Simonds
07-20-2010, 04:29 AM
Oh your hammies are gonna love you tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh your hammies are gonna love you tomorrow.

This is an untruth!

I'm never doing SLDL's again.

Craig Brown
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
SLDL is perhaps the worst next day feeling you can have when you are out of practice. The only time I've had worse doms was then I did my explosive chin/plyo pushup/jump squat contest with a guy at the gym. Enjoy.

Derek Simonds
07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
This is an untruth!

I am laughing with you....

Derek Weaver
07-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Hammies surprisingly stayed as sore as when I woke up. Usually I'll get progressively more sore. Still sucked though.

Unplanned rest day today. Was planning on doing some barefoot running in the grass, but instead I cleared a hill of left over ivy, fell down said hill, and decided to chill out.

High pulls or regular deads tomorrow, some sort of pressing and a pull on the menu. Super high tech stuff.

Arien Malec
07-20-2010, 10:47 PM

That's the exact way to ensure the next time you do them, you will be in utter agony.

At least that's how it works for me....

Day 3 is usually the horror show day.

Glad to hear Kauai went well. I could spend my entire life snorkling Tunnels in the morning and hiking in the afternoon.

Derek Weaver
07-21-2010, 04:53 PM
7/21/10 Wednesday
Squats 2 x 5 @ 135 to warm up and prep the hips. Pause at bottom.
Deads 54321 reps @ 185, 235, 265, 285, 315
Bradford Press 1 x 6 @ 95 lb barbell- didn't feel good
KB Military Press 2 x 8 standing, 1 x 6 sitting @ 2 x 24 kg
Pull ups 1 x 8 @ BW + 20 lbs, Chins (Same), 1 Set each to 1 rep shy of failure Chins and Pull ups. Think I got 12 each.

Notes:
- Kinda haphazard with everything but deads today. Tried some stuff, didn't feel good, wanted a little volume cause I was in the mood for reps today etc.
- Deads felt pretty darn easy all the way through. 315 isn't anything to get really excited about, but dealing with the back, hip/pelvic stuff that I'm still working on getting corrected, I'll take it.
- Technique work if any tomorrow, maybe something similar Friday. I need to get some snatches in with the KB. Haven't done any in a while and the B-Day TSC is going to eat me alive if I don't at least get the movement working a bit.

Derek Weaver
07-22-2010, 05:48 PM
7/22/10 Thursday
"Running" on grass 2 x 3 @ ~ 300 meters out + Back (600 m round trip) + 5 pull ups between rounds.

Notes:
- Done in Vibramzzzzz. I did some mobility stuff then got right to it. The pace I was able to keep practically barefoot was far less than even with my Nike Frees.
- Took approx. 35 minutes total. Not sure about times wrt rest, work etc.

Derek Simonds
07-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Do you like your vibramzzzz? I just haven't been able to get that funkified yet.

Derek Weaver
07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Do you like your vibramzzzz? I just haven't been able to get that funkified yet.

I love 'em. They were my main hiker when I went to Vancouver last year.

Good example of why they're awesome. I was running across an uneven field yesterday and several times felt dirt clods that would have jacked my feet up. The Vibramzzzzzzzzzzz add enough protection that unless it's something legitimately sharp I'm okay.

Today, my feet feel fatigued, calves a little sore, overall much better than the track work I was doing. Hopefully this will condition my lower legs to the point I can get back to some speed work. Still trying to figure out what I can get away with from an injury stand point.

I'm starting to get bored with my exercise ADD. ;)

Derek Weaver
07-23-2010, 04:43 PM
7/23/10 Friday
Squat 2 x 5 @ 45 lbs, 2 x5 @ 135 lbs to help mobilize the hips.
Deadlift Countdown 54321 @ 185, 235, 275, 295, 320
Bench Countdown 54321 @ 135, 155, 175, 195, 215
Plank Variations 2 each of 3 point plank around the world x 2 w/ 3 sec. iso hold @ each point + 2 point plank w/ 5 sec. iso hold. See Saw/dynamic plank 20 back and forth.

Notes:
- Deads were done with straps today, no belt. Felt fine. Definitely could have pushed this for 3-5 reps without failure.
- Rest all weekend unless I get some running on the grass. Try and be ready to not completely get blown out with the B-Day TSC.
- Bench countdown was just enough rest to change the plates out.

Derek Simonds
07-24-2010, 04:01 AM
I like the countdown. I am considering some vibramz. I love my Nike Free's and I think my lower legs are stronger now then ever before. I will check out a pair and see if I can do it.

Derek Weaver
07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
I realized recently that most of the stuff that I fall back to comes from Pavel, Dan John or someone in the Hard Style clique. Ladders and Countdowns definitely fit the bill here.

Re: Vibramz. Definitely worth it. I would use Free's for road running, Vibramz for dog patrol, running on grass and most everything else. Definitely worth owning both IMO. The increased proprioception from barefoot activity is worth it's proverbial weight in gold.

Derek Simonds
07-25-2010, 09:27 AM
I am doing the TSC Monday morning. I posted a thread in the other category and invited anyone else to choice us.

Derek Weaver
07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Cool, I'm in. Most likely have to do it in the afternoon, but I'm in for tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
7/26/10 Monday
No squats today as it was B-Day TSC Day. I'll just paste what I have in the thread in the "Other" section of the forum:

BW: 163 lbs

Deadlift: 315, 340, 365+
Pull ups: 20
Snatches 24 kg: 84

Fine with deads. I had more in the tank, and set 365 lbs as the goal. Surprising that I didn't hurt myself with all the creative ways I've gotten hurt in the last year.

Pull ups I was bummed. I actually thought I would get to my upcoming birthday number (being 27) when I hit maybe 17. Took a rest at 20 and that was it. Couldn't clear my chin.

Snatches were good. Set the goal @ 80, and with all the KB stuff I have done in the last year, even with none in the last few weeks I figured it was doable. Still need to finish the Right of Passage with the 32 kg and the SSST with the 24 kg.

Derek Simonds
07-27-2010, 03:56 AM
Great numbers Derek!

Kevin Perry
07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Good job, I wouldn't worry to much about the pullups, knocking out 20 is still good imo

Derek Weaver
07-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks to both of you. I was overall happy. 365 was maybe an 8/10 on effort. Didn't fly up, but there's certainly more in the tank.

Pull ups I don't think were a PR, but I don't know if I'd ever gone for a max rep pull up test after heavy (relative) deads.

Derek Weaver
07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
7/27/2010 Tuesday
Grass Running- Recovery. 5 trips out and back at the same field as last week.
Total time: ~40 minutes counting rest between trips

Notes:
- Surprisingly sore after yesterday. The deads didn't jack me up so much as the snatches. Ouch.
- Semi random thoughts/lessons learned for year 26 going on 27 tomorrow: sitting all day is bad for you. Not deadlifting or squatting (PL style), even if light is worse. KBs are awesome for grip and variety in conditioning but GS is boring and a good way to screw up posture.

This gets a paragraph on its own:
I'm convinced that KB's improve deadlifts solely through increases in grip strength. Anyone ever go to make a pull off the floor with a mixed group and it won't move? The you get your lifting straps hooked up and it comes off the floor? Between the increased number of deadlift-similar repetitions w/ a Russian swing and ballistic grip required, I'm thinking that's what helps people produce these monster deadlift PRs.

Derek Weaver
07-28-2010, 05:04 PM
7/28/2010 Wednesday
Deadlift Ladders: 5 x (1,2,3) @ 235
+
KB Mil. Press 5 x (1,2,3) @ 24kg x 2

Ab Stuff

Notes:
- Quick one, experimenting with Ladders and other Pavel stuff. I feel incredibly good since I got back from my trip.
- The KB Military Presses were too light, no fatigue to speak of. I think 32's are too heavy, but I don't have 28's. I'll figure something out if I keep these in. Good way to increase shoulder strength and size.

Derek Weaver
07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
7/29/10 Thursday
Grass Running in Vibramzzzzz. 5 trips out and back total. 2 Pull up ladders 1-6 beween trips #1/2 and 4/5.

Messed with a few assisted pistols.

Notes:
- Super relaxed pace today. Not all that sore from yesterdays deadlift ladders, but enough I knew I didn't want to pull today.
- Should be good to go tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
7/30/10 Friday
Close Stance "Ed Coan" Sumo Deads 6 x 2 @ 185- 45 seconds of rest
Close Grip BP 3 x (1,2,3) @ 185 + Renegade Row 5 r/l @ 16 kg KB x 2
Ab stuff

Notes:
- Light day. Lower back felt okay, but a little tired and I wanted to mess with Sumos so I did in a speed fashion. Enough to wake up the p-chain, but not get hurt.
- I'm considering doing some sort of ladder pairing 3-4x/week for the upper body while maintaining the squat progression I want to do along 1x/week and deads 2-4x/week. Fatigue management all around, but working often. Might be an interesting experiment. I may change my mind soon though, so I'll keep tinkering over the weekend and figure out if it'll get organized or stay random-ish.

Derek Weaver
08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
8/2/10 Monday
Squat up to 225 for a few doubles. I think 3.
Semi-Sumo Deadlift 3 x 3 @ 305
KB Mil. Press Ladders 5 x (2, 3, 5)
Pull Up Ladders 5 x (2, 3, 5)
HLR hold the L for a beat 3 x 12

Notes:
- Deads were easy. I'm sure I can pull more conventional though. Lower back was sore from sitting so much Saturday and yesterday.
- Pull Up ladders are easy. Adding weight a day or two per week would be a good idea.

Derek Weaver
08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
8/4/10 Wednesday
Bodyweight squats, Jefferson Lifts, Behind the Back deadlifts etc. to warm up.
Semi-Sumo Deadlift up to 315 for I think 5 x 1.
KB Clean and Mil Press (clean, press x 2, clean, press x 3 etc.) 3 x (2, 3, 5)
Pull Up 3 x (2, 3, 5)
Janda Sit Ups 3 x 3

Notes:
- Doing these close stance sumos a la Ed Coan, is really showing how weak my hips still are. Back is strong, hips are weak. Hammies too I guess.
- Lower volume ladders today. Looking at 4 x (2, 3, 5) friday, then something similar next week in terms of waving. Maybe move to benches and some other pulling set up for a couple weeks.
- Janda sit ups are really hard. Anyone who says they can do 50 right away isn't telling the truth.

Derek Simonds
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I will have to try them if they are hard. Training looks fun lately.

Derek Weaver
08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I like ladders quite a bit.

You'll know if you're doing them correctly when it goes from "Eh, okay" to "Nevermind, I don't do sit ups anymore".

Arien Malec
08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Janda Sit Ups 3 x 3
- Janda sit ups are really hard. Anyone who says they can do 50 right away isn't telling the truth.

How are you doing this? With a Pavelizer? Or a partner? Or something else? The mechanics of getting to Janda situps always stopped me...

Derek Weaver
08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
I actually used my squat stands. Weighed them down and then went for it.

A partner, dumbbells or KBs can also work. I'd actually guess that a medicine ball could work as well.

My abs are surprisingly sore considering I did 9 reps total yesterday. I may work these a little more often. It's clear that my hips and abs are my weakest points. This is bad.

I've done a lot to improve my posture, but I still have fairly significant and obvious Lower Crossed Syndrome going on. Sumo deads, isolated ab work, glute activation and hip flexor mobilizations, stretching, MFR etc. should get it done.

Derek Weaver
08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
8/6/10 Friday
Semi Sumo Deads (These will now be known as SS or CS-'Coan Style' Deads) up to 345 x 1 grueling rep. Backed off and took a few @ 325, then a bunch of singles @ 275.
KB MP 4 x (2, 3, 5) @ 2 x 24 kg
Janda Sit ups 3 x 5
Pull Up ladder 4 x (2, 3, 5)

Notes:
- Frustrated and more than a little pissed off today. Tried to take it out on the iron.
- I found out that my slow point is definitely off the ground. I honestly don't know how I never noticed until today that my slow point is the first 6 or so inches.
Could be that I didn't have a slow point until now.
- More Janda sit ups today, with greater volume. I believe I will pay for it.

Derek Simonds
08-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Hopefully the iron relieved you of some of your pissed offedness.

Derek Weaver
08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Hopefully the iron relieved you of some of your pissed offedness.

For the most part. May go wild again today. $1600 car repair bills piss me off for some reason.

Just as I'd gotten my truck looking real nice again (it's a pick up truck so it'll go years without getting more than a basic wash), it breaks down.

Cracked radiator, screwed hoses, belt and a tensioner fell off. That's not even the whole of it, but about 2/3 of the cost and problem.

Derek Simonds
08-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Hate car repairs, especially when you don't have a mechanic you can trust. Always feels like you are getting screwed no matter what happens.

Derek Weaver
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah. They suck.

Workout a little weak today. May have had something to do with falling out of a hammock.

8/9/10 Monday
Assisted Pistols 4 x 5/leg using the TRX
GM 3 x 10 @ 95 lbs
Bench Press 5 @ 135, 4 @ 155, 3 @ 175, 2 @ 195, 1 @ 195. 3 x 5 @ 180
Chins 5 x (2, 3, 5)
(Band Curl x 12, Pressdown x 12, Janda Sit up x 5 w/ 10 lbs)x 3

Notes:
- No Deadlifts today. I felt a little banged up and kept it with light good mornings, that will still result in some DOMS tomorrow. I'm sure of that part. Muscular hit though, little on the CNS.
- Pistols are nice. It's been a year now, but I forgot that I did these after Half Dome. If you do them wrong, you fall. Do them right, and there's no pain in the joint. I may be onto something with working Pistols in along with other squat variations.
- Shoulder felt a little off going overhead, but benching felt fine. Really odd that benching was okay here. The weights didn't really feel heavy at all, but I felt a little unstable and had no spotter, so a weak 195 was it today.
- Did some band stuff figuring a) I'd get a little gunny and b) may be a good idea to get some in when I remember to protect the elbows.

Derek Weaver
08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
8/11/10 Wednesday
Pistols 3 x (1, 2, 3)
CS Deads 5 (or more?) x 1 @ 235 to keep it light.
Bench Countdown 54321 @ 135, 155, 175, 195, 200
Chins 5 x (2, 3, 5)
Janda Sit ups 5, 4, 4, 3, 3
Band Pull Aparts 4 x "a lot"

Notes:
- I had a real early wake up today, long day sitting in the car, almost skipped it.
- Deads were basically to wake up and just do them. I didn't care if I went for reps, weight etc. I just wanted a few pulls. Last couple of pulls finally felt light. This is surely a CNS thing, and again I'm remembering that after days like today, priming or ramping the CNS should get more attention
- Can't get to the KBs with the way everything is arranged right now. I'll press when I can, bench when I can.
- Chins need weight soon and perhaps a switch to ladders of 1-3. Then more volume again.
- Pull aparts are a good idea that I forget a lot. There are a lot of good ideas.

Derek Weaver
08-13-2010, 02:39 PM
8/13/10 Friday
Pistols 3 x 3/leg
CS Deads 8 x 2 @ 275 done on the minute, density style.
Bench 175 x 10 sets x 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 1, 1
Chins BW + 16 lbs (bw = ~165 lbs) x 10 sets x 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3

Notes:
- I may need a little more structure on the deads. I don't do well with winging it and hitting high frequency. Felt a little worn down and beat up from Friday. Of course, I think this is my 3rd week of high frequency, variable intensity stuff.
- I like density work, I like ladders, I like countdowns. I don't know so much if I like sets across right now. Just throwing that out there.
- Good day so far, had a few good phone calls regarding some potential business stuff, got a good workout in. Off to continue to figure out what the next move is.

Derek Weaver
08-16-2010, 03:15 PM
8/16/10 Monday
Deadlift (Conventional!) 220 x 5, 250 x 5, 285 x 5+ (7)

1 Legged squats, BW only to Bench 3r/3l on the minute for 10 minutes.
Sn Gr RDL 2 x 5 @ 135
Janda Sit ups 3 x 5

Notes:
- Deads were feeling a little drawn last week, and the sumos were aggravating my hips. Today, even though the weights were fairly light, I felt more explosive than maybe ever.
- I realized I suck at winging workouts. I'll try and hit 5/3/1 for the main lift, then get whatever assistance work through ladders and/or density stuff depending on how I feel. I'll work deads monday, some sort of (likely) single leg squat on Thursday with the two lifts switching spots as assistance work.
- For the most part I think that 5/3/1 is kinda stupid just cause I like to work closer to the limit, but I'm recognizing that rep work is important and.... I'll blow myself out doing limit type stuff 2-3x/week for one lift. Bad idea I guess.
-

Arien Malec
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
5/3/1 is all about the long term. Says the guy who just switched programs again, but I'll be back.

Derek Weaver
08-16-2010, 03:52 PM
5/3/1 is all about the long term. Says the guy who just switched programs again, but I'll be back.

Agreed. With the time off that I've had, I started to realize a few things. The most important being that unless I'm planning on a powerlifting contest (not ruling it out someday, but not happening anytime soon) it's about quality and not f'ing yourself up.

I'm great at f'ing myself up.

We'll see if I can actually stick to this stuff. I always get enamored with high intensity, fancy stuff. Trying to embrace KISS.

I also figure that if I hit the big lift and feel good, then I can get a dose of density work, ladders, countdowns or whatever for assistance. Randomizing assistance work with an eye towards balance should be okay.

Talk to me in a week though.

Derek Simonds
08-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Talk to me in a week though. Snicker....

Derek Weaver
08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Snicker....

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I kinda laughed to myself when I wrote that to be honest. Two days in though, and I'm still good. The only thing I'm actually concerned about is the main lift.

8/17/10 Tuesday
Weighted Dips
BW 165. 5 @ BW + 16 lb vest, 5 @ + 30, + 44 lbs = 11 reps

BW Chins + Dips 50 reps of each. done in superset. Took 13.33

Notes:
- Easier day today. Trying to figure out if I can safely bench doing this or if it would be wise to stick with dips.
- I estimated the 1rm for my dips, and was way too low. 11 reps is pretty freaking high for 5's day.
- If I was feeling real nasty I would have gone with alternating ladders. Maybe next time.
- Abz, forgot to do them. Get to them tonight with some planks or something.

Allen Yeh
08-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Loaded or band or some type of pushup as an alternative to bench? Then you'd also have to add another row movement, I've been really trying to follow to, at the minimum of 1 pull to 1 push, preferable 2 pulls to 1 push.

Derek Weaver
08-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Not sure. I workout alone and loading a push up is pretty tough. Band push ups are difficult to maintain any sort of progressive overload. Good for assistance though I'd guess.

I'm thinking benching may be fine, but with more like 80% of 1rm as training max to help ensure I don't crush myself. Add in some rows and chins instead of pull ups... have to think a little.

Allen Yeh
08-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Weighted backpack? the only weighted push-up variations I've done are with my rucksack which is packed tightly or Connor.

DB benching is way easier on the shoulders and NG even more so.

Derek Weaver
08-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Not sure about the backpack. I'm thinking of making it more like 85% instead of 90% of 1rm as the training max, and making sure to leave 2 reps in the tank. I'm not overly concerned with a gigantic bench press.

8/19/10 Thursday
Box Squat 165 x 5, 185 x 5, 210 x 7
Speed Pulls 185 x 2 reps x 10 sets on the minute
Jumping RFESS 3sets x 10/leg
Janda Sit ups 3sets x 5

Notes:
- Figured the Box squat off of a past number I had in my log here at the Pmenu. Maybe a little light, and I pulled up 2-3 reps short since I don't squat in a cage.
- Speed pulls are awesome.
- Janda sit ups are awful.
- Not related to today's workout, but I thought that the area I have to workout was a little low to barbell press in, then I tried it... it's fine.
- Also not related, a nagging wrist injury I have had for ~ 10 years off and on suddenly doesn't hurt. I screwed it up CGBP'ing last week, I was rubbing my wrist, felt a click, and woke up the next morning and it was fine.

Derek Simonds
08-20-2010, 05:51 AM
That is awesome on the wrist.

Derek Weaver
08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I just hope it holds up. So far, so good. Could even rack the bar without any trouble today.

8/20/10 Friday
Press 85 x 5, 95 x 5, 110 x 9
Pull ups + Dips 5 x 10

Notes:
- I round to the nearest 5 lbs, so the weights look a little funky.
- Realized my scheduling for the week is all messed around, I'll fix it for next cycle during or after the deload week I guess.

Derek Weaver
08-23-2010, 04:00 PM
8/23/10 Monday
Bench Press 3 day: 145 x 3, 170 x 3, 190 x 7
Barbell Row 4 x 10 @ 135
Dip + Pull up Ladder 1 x 1-6
Push up + Band PUll Apart 3 x 12

Notes:
- Had to switch days cause my neck is aching pretty bad. I guess I slept on it wrong.
- Volume day overall I guess. The benches were about where I'd want them. Today would be an RPE of maybe 7.5-8. Probably two reps in the tank.
- Deads tomorrow if the neck feels better

Arien Malec
08-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Good stuff on the press and bench. KBs help on the press?

Derek Weaver
08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
KB's definitely help on the press with relation to stability about midway up on the press. At least for me they do. The offset load, whether doing a single or double KB military press is crucial. Between the abdominal bracing required, as well as the shoulder packing to prevent injury, I see a positive carry over.

Pressing overhead is maybe the only area where my strength is close to equal that of December '08.

Plan for 5/3/1 is to take new maxes in the deadlift and overhead press entering every 3rd cycle and adjust accordingly. At least, that's the plan. Bench and box squats will likely take longer between testing since I workout alone for the most part and have no squat cage.

Derek Weaver
08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
8/24/10 Tuesday
Deadlift 235 x 3, 270 x 3, 300 x 7
(RDL 155 x 8 + Speed Skater Squat x 8/leg) x 3
Janda Sit ups x 5, + 10 lbs x 5, 4, 3

Notes:
- Positive step on the deadlifts. This was an RPE of ~8. Probably two decent reps in the tank.
- Considering I got 7 deads last week at 285 I'm happy.
- Looking forward to next week to see how things go. I'd really like to pull 5 or so @ 320. Nothing spectacular, but considering that I would be pretty close to what I was pulling for 5s near the end of my SS run that would be good. I think I pulled 350 maybe for 5 without falling over. 400 is falling sooner than later I hope.

Derek Simonds
08-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Nice numbers all the way around. 400 will rise soon.

Derek Weaver
08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
8/26/10 Thursday
Press 3 day: 90 x 3, 105 x 3, 120 x 9 (rounded up as my 90% lift came out to like 117.8 or something)
Dip + Chin 3 reps each, alternating over 12 minutes density style= 50 reps of each
Band Pull apart 3 x 12 with a max iso hold on rep 12
2 x 1 minute plank
2 x "a lot" band curl + press down

Notes:
- Good day. I had to adjust my grip on rep 7 and think I cost myself at least 1 rep on the press. So far this week has been a pretty money week with the deads improving and today being a good pressing day.
- Chins and dips were un-fun.
- Mobiltywod.blogspot.com is RAD. An esteemed member of our board posted it elsewhere and I can't thank Kelly Starrett enough for starting it up. SF CF is possibly the only affiliate I would train at as things lie currently.

Allen Yeh
08-26-2010, 06:13 PM
- Mobiltywod.blogspot.com is RAD. An esteemed member of our board posted it elsewhere and I can't thank Kelly Starrett enough for starting it up. SF CF is possibly the only affiliate I would train at as things lie currently.

Really cool!

Derek Weaver
08-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Mobility WOD is easily the best free resource in the interwebz if you ask me.

8/27/10 Friday
Box Squat 170 x 3, 200 x 3. 225 x 3
Straight Leg DL 135 x 4 sets x 10
Janda Sit ups + 10 lbs. x 5, x 4, x 4 + 3 partials

Notes:
- Stuck with just the reps + mild assistance work.
- Didn't feel that great today. Kinda beat up. Sleep has been hectic. Very close to starting a couple of things I've been hinting at for a while. Not as big a deal as my stress level would indicate, but I'm a stress case almost all the time. Move's being postponed it looks like. Out of my control, but it's okay.
- Forgot to note that I've been adding in a 30 + minute walk everyday. Nothing crazy, but the running hasn't really fit in. Trying not to become a huge lard ass. Or at least slow the process.

Allen Yeh
08-28-2010, 08:40 AM
How many of the Mobility WOD's have you done so far? Kstar is pretty funny with his Cali vernacular.....

I've done the first 2, about to start doubling up so I can catch up to the mobility WOD of the day. holy crap that wall hip flexor thing was terrible.

Kevin Perry
08-28-2010, 11:06 AM
The squat one sucks, I can balance in oly shoes just fine but on bare feet I have to hold myself with the wall otherwise i fall backwards. Good resource.

Derek Weaver
08-28-2010, 05:43 PM
How many of the Mobility WOD's have you done so far? Kstar is pretty funny with his Cali vernacular.....

I've done the first 2, about to start doubling up so I can catch up to the mobility WOD of the day. holy crap that wall hip flexor thing was terrible.

I'm doing the same as you. Also coming back to the hip flexor stuff the day after as a retest, though not as long. I need to hit the shoulder stuff for today and I'll be up to date.

Any hip flexor work sucks. The calves just about blew me out though. I didn't realize my ankle mobility/flexibility was that horrible.

The squat one sucks, I can balance in oly shoes just fine but on bare feet I have to hold myself with the wall otherwise i fall backwards. Good resource.

I had that same problem when I first started down this corrective/mobility path I've been on for close to a year. Squat/oly shoes rock for depth, but I don't know about overall ankle mobility. I'm inclined to think they should at least be neutral with their effect given Oly lifters insane depth on cleans and squat variations. Unless successful oly lifters are naturally mobile with the corresponding anthropometry conducive to their sport.

Allen Yeh
08-29-2010, 09:38 AM

No problem balancing but trying to keep my toes forward is really really awkward and uncomfortable.

The calves thing wasn't too bad, so far the worst thing for me so far was the hip extension thing. Going to the Y now to hit up the psoas and shoulder extension.

Derek Simonds
08-29-2010, 10:28 AM
You guys are making me feel guilty with all this mobilization talk...

Kevin Perry
08-29-2010, 02:51 PM
No doubt mobilization work is equally important next to strength work. Can't believe how much 10-15 min a day of it makes a big difference in workouts and everyday life.

Derek Weaver
08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Kevin,
You speak the truth. As I got more and more messed up from simply sitting in a chair I began to realize this. In fact, I would argue that mobility and flexibility work are more important than strength work. Without the first two, it makes any legitimate strength work next to impossible to perform safely.

Believe it or not, I've just started doing a little yoga from my Cable's On Demand system, as well as the mobilitywod. I feel much better, but have become aware of just how restricted I am through certain joints still.

Edit:
Just took a look at the site for the guest that's in the hip mobility video for Saturday. Here's the link for the blog, whole site looks solid. http://www.onefourfourone.com/blog/

Derek Weaver
08-30-2010, 03:43 PM
8/30/10 Monday
Bench Press 160 x 5, 180 x 3, 200 x 8!
Barbell Row 5 x 10 @ 135 + Push up 5 x 15
Band Pull Aparts 2 x 12
Drag Curlz 2 x 12 @ 45 lbs, light and easy on this one
Abs and a walk on the late night tonight.

Notes:
- Whoa. I knew that I had estimated my training max pretty low out of safety concerns for the bench press, but 8 on 5/3/1 week is crazy. Not sure where to go on that one. That's more like a "5" week rep count.
- did this one as quickly as possible. Took a midday break from this project I've been working on. Back to the grindstone. It's weird doing a ton of work, reading well over 100 pages per day.... and not being on college. My work thus far has been task oriented with certain statistics involved.
- I'm really looking forward to deadlifts tomorrow.

Tangent:
Okay, really a question I guess. I'm thinking a bit here. I really like the 5/3/1 structure, but feel it's a poor option if power to weight ratio is the key. At least as the options are laid out in the book. I know I can snatch and clean and jerk prior to the main lift, but what about within workouts?

Anyone out there complex lifts with a power movement, whether accessory or main? I'd like to work the power to weight ratio within the basic 5/3/1 framework. Keeping to this schedule is likely the only way I'll make progress without eventually grinding myself into the ground.

edit:
forgot the curlz and bands.

Arien Malec
08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Not sure where to go on that one. That's more like a "5" week rep count.

Stay with it. It's self correcting, and high reps do you no harm. Better to keep the progression going...

Okay, really a question I guess. I'm thinking a bit here. I really like the 5/3/1 structure, but feel it's a poor option if power to weight ratio is the key. At least as the options are laid out in the book. I know I can snatch and clean and jerk prior to the main lift, but what about within workouts?

Don't overthink it. Stay with the program a bit... Add power stuff as accessory movements, but stick with the main movements.

Derek Weaver
08-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Stay with it. It's self correcting, and high reps do you no harm. Better to keep the progression going...

Don't overthink it. Stay with the program a bit... Add power stuff as accessory movements, but stick with the main movements.

Regarding bench press: I figured it would regulate itself and the intention was to work lighter than necessary w/ training max being something like 80-85% of my true max since I lift alone. Don't want to get buried on a bench press of all lifts.

Regarding power: I figured if I make tweaks they would take place after my deload next week and incorporate for a cycle. If I do tweak anything regarding complexing lifts or whatever else, it wouldn't be from 5 week to 3 week or anything like that.

I guess when I'm doing conditioning work I could just add in a fair amount of plyos to help cover it. That way 5/3/1 stays on point and conditioning ends up more fluid.

That's probably the best go for at least another 2-3 runs until I've got a foundation to look back on.

Derek Simonds
08-31-2010, 03:32 AM
I like the plyos option inside the conditioning. And I must say that was a very nice bench Mr. Weaver!

Allen Yeh
08-31-2010, 04:57 AM
I've been doing box jumps and the Oly lifts prior to the main lifts but only power cleans or power snatch, nothing too crazy. Like you said it's not explained very well other than sure it'd be fine to do them prior to squats or DL's and follow the 5/3/1/ rep scheme. Going all out on power cleans and snatches never seemed like a great idea to me so I usually stick to triples and singles.

Derek Weaver
08-31-2010, 09:38 AM
I like the plyos option inside the conditioning. And I must say that was a very nice bench Mr. Weaver!

Thank you sir. I'd like to have a good spotter at some point so I can see where I'm at. It seems that my bench strength has never fallen off that bad from when I had a monster bench from doing bro splits.

I figure that I'll try and schedule 2-3 workouts per week doing jumps and other plyos.

I've been doing box jumps and the Oly lifts prior to the main lifts but only power cleans or power snatch, nothing too crazy. Like you said it's not explained very well other than sure it'd be fine to do them prior to squats or DL's and follow the 5/3/1/ rep scheme. Going all out on power cleans and snatches never seemed like a great idea to me so I usually stick to triples and singles.

Yeah, this is the main shortfall with Wendler's program. No specific speed work or other power recommendations. Makes sense to a degree since he's about strength and staying around instead of breaking huge records.

the thing is, when everything else is working, I feel like I move best and feel "lighter" when I've got enough power work in the program. That was part of what made me so happy with Crossfit. All of a sudden I was doing box jumps, power cleans and snatches etc. and felt like I was athletic again. Then I crashed and burned.

Derek Weaver
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
8/31/10 Tuesday
Hang Power Snatch 3 x 2 @ 95 lbs
Deadlift 250 x 5, 285 x 3, 320 x 3
RFESS @ 95 lbs x 3 sets x 8 r/l
GHR 3 x 8
Janda Sit ups 3 x 5 @ 10 lbs

Notes:
- Power snatches were done for activation based off some of the stuff on the T-Bag livespill. Felt light and snappy. Cool since I hadn't done any oly lift for a real long time. Not heavy at all
- A little disappointed in the deadlift. On the top set it felt like it was all back and no glutes or hammies. Stopped @ 3 in order to not blow my back out. Have to address this somehow.
- Single leg work really sucks.
- Hadn't done a ghr in a long time either... and regret doing them today. Sore tomorrow.

Allen Yeh
08-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Could just be an off day? If the DL problems kept happening then perhaps they need to be addressed. After the GHR's you should do the MobWOD from yesterday, my hams are sore from that.

Derek Weaver
08-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Could just be an off day? If the DL problems kept happening then perhaps they need to be addressed. After the GHR's you should do the MobWOD from yesterday, my hams are sore from that.

Yeah, I think it's likely a set up issue. I'd done well with the deadlift and definitely feel stronger in the lift based on the last 7-8 weeks of training. I've been sitting a ton the last week or so, which may have something to do with it. Some more glute bridges and variations are likely in order.

I didn't really get a lot out of that Mwod. I'm going to look at it again and see if I was just doing something wrong.

Allen Yeh
08-31-2010, 07:32 PM
I got more out of my left side than I did my right side, though today i could get some out of my right. odd. I got a lot ouf the shoulder one today, crazy!

Derek Weaver
09-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I got more out of my left side than I did my right side, though today i could get some out of my right. odd. I got a lot ouf the shoulder one today, crazy!

I revisted that Mobility Wod. I was doing it wrong.

9/2/10 Thursday
Press 100 x 5, 110 x 3, 125 x 5
Chins 4 x 10
Band Push ups 4 x 12

Notes:
- Did the chins with this cue from Robertson's blog: http://www.robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/a-killer-chinup-variation. Good twist
- Press felt okay I guess. I thought I could get a couple more reps
- I feel really worn down ever since Tuesday. I guess going into Tuesday I was beat and didn't realize it.

Derek Weaver
09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
9/3/10 Friday
Box Squat 190 x 5, 215 x 3, 240 x 3
Jumping RFESS 3 x 12/side
Stiff Leg DL 155 lbs 3 x 10
Planks 3 x 30 sec.

Notes:
- I'm so glad this week is over. I was able to get a few reps today at 240 and didn't feel like I ran out of strength/endurance, I just didn't feel right again.
- Stiff Leg DL's felt real light.

Arien Malec
09-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Did you mis-write that as the 5 week, or was it supposed to be 5/3/1?

If the 5 week, you didn't take a week deload.

Derek Weaver
09-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Good catch. This is 5/3/1 week. No way i would skip the deload at this point.

Derek Weaver
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
8/6/10 Monday
Bench 115 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5
Chins 3 x 10
Pull Aparts 2 x 12
Push ups 3 x 12

Notes:
- Deload week. Couldn't find my workout log so I estimated things.

Arien Malec
09-06-2010, 10:00 PM
No assistance on deload week per the program.

Derek Weaver
09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
It actually doesn't say that. (edit-) It does say to back off and deload, but nothing specific regarding deleting all assistance work

Even if it did I would still add in a couple pulls to help counteract the pushes. All the sitting I'm doing these days necessitates it. Even if it's light pulling with reduced intensity like yesterday, I feel it's important.

The push ups actually make my shoulders feel better for some reason.

Arien Malec
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Hmm. Perhaps I misunderstood the FAQ:

"Question: During the deload week, do I deload the assistance work too?
Answer: If you’re deloading, DELOAD! Cut back on everything and let your body rest and recover."

I read "cut back on everything" as "cut the assistance out" but could just as well mean "go light on assistance".

Joe Hlasnik
09-07-2010, 05:34 PM

Answer: If you’re deloading, DELOAD! Cut back on everything and let your body rest and recover."

I read "cut back on everything" as "cut the assistance out" but could just as well mean "go light on assistance".

I remember reading in the Q&A that he suggested cutting the assistance volume in half of what you normally do.

Derek Weaver
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM

There's certainly nothing wrong with cutting assistance work altogether. I just chose not to.

I would guess it's all a little vague on purpose. if you're completely worn out or on the verge of getting sick heading into your deload week, then cutting out everything but the low intensity work for the main lift is a good fit.

if you're somewhere in between, hitting some assistance stuff to get the blood flowing and add a little balance should be fine.

Derek Weaver
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I remember reading in the Q&A that he suggested cutting the assistance volume in half of what you normally do.

I seem to remember that as well, but I don't know where I saw it. I looked through the ebook and didn't see it, but I was in a rush.

Maybe on his series on TNation?

Derek Weaver
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
9/7/10 Tuesday
Deadlift 135 x5 , 170 x 5, 200 x 5
RFESS 2 x 10 r/l
GHR 2 x 5
Planks 3 x 30

Notes:
- Easy in and out. Maybe 40 minutes total including some mobility stuff pre workout

I'm going to take this time to point out that I'll take a semi retirement from the internet starting later this week. Shit's about to get real. I've got a ton of stuff, and some business that is internet dependent and I need some space from forums and all.

I'll still check in occasionally as there are a few logs (Derek S, Allen, Kevin P, Arien, ) that I want to follow, but will likely let this log die and more or less disappear for a while. With the house not being sold, me trying to start my own business and all things are going to be crazy.

Arien Malec
09-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll still check in occasionally as there are a few logs (Derek S, Allen, Kevin P, Arien, ) that I want to follow, but will likely let this log die and more or less disappear for a while. With the house not being sold, me trying to start my own business and all things are going to be crazy.

Well, good luck with the crazy, and the business. I know how intense that can be. Check in now and again, consistent with the need for total focus in the rest of your life....

Allen Yeh
09-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Best of luck. Let us know how you are every now and again.

Kevin Perry
09-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Good luck on everything man, don't be a stranger.

Derek Simonds
09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Yep keep us looped in. Good luck with everything you have going on.

Derek Weaver
09-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Just a quick post here. A little free time before I head out. I figure if I break even with everything for a while it'll be a success. I need to remember that.

9/10/10 Friday
End of Deload Week for 5/3/1, and "Packing Day" for Eric Cressey's Maximum Strength
- Couple things before my numbers. Moving along because I figured out that the Max reps thing from 5/3/1 blows me out worse than a true 3rm every week. The other is that every 4 weeks... you're supposed to switch everything up! How great for an exercise ADD dip wad like me.
- Also, I've got to start working out at a commercial gym again and figure since I've got the equipment available I'd finally do Maximum Strength. Wanted to do it for over a year. With the facts mentioned above it's like a perfect storm. Also, it'll force me to figure out a time each day to get out from behind the computer.

Numbers: (Bodyweight this morning = 159 lbs !!)
Broad Jump - 65"
Box Squat - 280
Bench - 245
Deadlift - not tested
3 RM Chin up - 73.5 lbs + BW

Notes:
- Broad jump sucked
- Box Squat felt light except coming out of the hole. If the knees hold up I wouldn't be surprised to find out that I can still squat a decent poundage. Deloading at the bottom of the box squat changes the game, and I couldn't remember the last time I went for a 1rm. Stalled a little on this attempt.
- Bench went up easy, but I work out alone and kept it there. Not working in a power rack today so I played it safe. Still not a bad number here.
- Deadlift felt crappy during warm ups and I decided to be smart and not force a 1rm attempt.
- I figure this will work. I'm usually good for about 4 weeks before I get bored these days anyway, and every 4 weeks things change.

Allen Yeh
09-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Best of luck with that, I thought it was a very well thought out program and enjoyed my time with it. That being said it does start to tweak training ADD after the first 2 cycles, because while it was different it was still the same if you know what I mean?

To try to combat that I'd be trying different conditioning things either at the end or on the off days that when was I was really messing around with the long cycle C+J stuff.

Nice numbers, I have you by 25 pounds and you have similiar numbers to me!

Derek Weaver
09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the mention of the numbers. Just think though, with your squats and chins you're moving the weight on the bar + external load. Plenty good.

WRT Maximum Strength. A couple things I noticed that appeal to me are the transition from rep set ups (clusters, then moving onto e.g, 4x3, 2 x5 Squats) and changing of exercises should be enough to keep me from getting all crazy for a while.

I also like that he's got balance and lower body health programmed in. Wendler's program rocks for a lot of people due to flexibility, but that flexibility ends up with me getting a little nutty and feeling like I'll fall apart after only 3 weeks.

Biggest issue though... If I'm paying for a gym membership, I want to get the most out of the equipment.

Arien Malec
09-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Anti-ADD voice here:

You did 5-3-1 for one round, but it's an approach that wants to see success over the space of months and years. You don't even know if adaptation to the first round is going to get you gains on the second round.

That being said, I don't know the Cressy program at all.

Dan John says everything works for 6 weeks -- perhaps there's some secret wisdom in exercise ADD. I worry, for myself, that it's a way to redefine success. Dunno -- I can't hold myself out as an exemplar of what works :-)

Derek Weaver
09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
This is true and valid Arien. However, there are a couple of things. One is that hammering each movements only once per week is likely something a little more advanced than I am. Honestly, considering where my numbers have fallen compared to my SS numbers, I'd likely still be an advanced novice on lower body stuff.

Second is that I've done so much sitting and holding tension due to the nature of my job that I ended up with some structural imbalances that are an issue.

Cressey's stuff focuses on these types of imbalances while providing a nice strength stimulus.

Finally, and the most important is that I'm just embracing my exercise ADD here. Each 4 weeks, the exercises rotate, with volume and intensity modulations within each 4 week block. Cressey has a planned progression, and it also fits with my own personality. Kind of like the old "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Except I'm dealing with my own psyche.

P.S.
I blame Crossfit for starting this Training ADD.

Arien Malec
09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I blame Crossfit for starting this Training ADD.

Crossfit is teh evil!1!!

OK, so switching programs every 3-6 weeks beats daily churn.

Derek Weaver
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Crossfit is teh evil!1!!

OK, so switching programs every 3-6 weeks beats daily churn.

It's all CF's fault. Always.

Had a little extra time mid-day so I'll update my training log.

9/12/10 sunday Max. Strength Lower Body Day 1, Phase 1
a) Box Squat 5 x 4 @ 235
b) Speed PUlls 8x2 @ 185
c) Walking DB Lunge 3x8/side @ 35 lbs
d) Reverse Crunch 3x12 + Plank 3x30 sec.

Notes:
- Ouch. Walking lunges blow. Those and Bulgarian Split Squats (RFESS) are awful.

9/13/10 Monday Max. Strength Upper Body Day 1, Phase 1
a) Bench Press 5x4 @ 205. 215, 215, 215, 215
b1) Low Incline Neutral Grip DB Bench 3 x 10 @ 60, 60, 70
b2) Seated Cable Row Pronated Grip 4 x 10 @ 140, 150, 150, 150
c1) Prone Trap Raise 3x12 @ 10
c2) Lying Ext. Rotation 3 x 12/side @ 10
d) Side Bridge 3x30 sec/side

Notes:
- This was awesome. I actually enjoyed having a cable station available and the gym was pretty empty last night so I didn't have any trouble alternating stations.
-

Allen Yeh
09-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I love walking lunges...I loathe BSS's.

Derek Weaver
09-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I have a love hate relationship with all single leg work.

Lunchtime break, time to check in a little.

9/15/10 Wednesday Max. Strength Lower Body Day 2
A)Front Squat 4 x 6 @ 205
B) Rack Pull from Knee caps 4 x 6 @ 315, 335, 355, 355
C) DB Bulgarian Split Squat 3 x 6/leg @ 2x 50 lb DB's
D1) Pull Thru 3 x 10 @ 120, 140, 140
D2) Reverse Crunch 3 x 12

Notes:
- Ouch. First time doing rack pulls. Odd that the weight didn't feel heavy in the hands, but the lower back was fatigued. No strain, but significant fatigue.
- Pull thru's... first time doing these as well. Weight not so heavy, but I kept falling backwards. Definitely require a little more forward lean and a bump in weight.

Derek Simonds
09-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Be careful with the rack pulls to make sure that you are not setting up significantly different from your normal DL motion. I read somewhere that at your knees or above and you have a completely different muscle recruitment then the DL. I might be wrong there but I think I am remembering correctly. I know I hurt myself the first time doing rack pulls because of that reason.

How were the FS's?

Derek Weaver
09-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I think Wendler recently had something similar to say about rack pulls didn't he? I felt real good set up wise with them yesterday.

I think that my low back is the weak link in a lot of my lower body lifts from sitting so much.

Front Squats were money. Knees a little sore today, but nothing too crazy. I think improving my hip mobility and ankle mobility was necessary to being able to squat (front and back) without screwing up the knees or back too bad.

Derek Weaver
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
9/16/10 Thursday Max. Strength Upper Body Day 2
A1) 1 Arm DB Push Press 4 x 6/side @ 55 lbs
A2) Close Grip Chin Up 4 x 6 @ BW
B1) Push up 3 x 10
B2) 1 Arm DB Row 3 x 8/side @ 65, 70, 70
C1) Kneeling Cable Ext Rotation 3 x 12 20, 25, 25
C2) Side Bridge 3 x 30s/side

Notes:
- Woke up with serious DOMs today. Nothing felt very heavy today, but I didn't have a whole lot in the tank.
- I really enjoy these workouts. I've done some modifications in the past to some Cressey and Gentilcore stuff and always liked it. Good fun having all the equipment available.
- Looks I'll be taking the day off tomorrow. Good chance to clean up my log a little and peruse the forum a bit more. I've peeked in and made a few posts, but usually I could kill a ton of time reading through old threads I found interesting.

Derek Weaver
09-19-2010, 08:22 PM
9/19/10 Sunday Max Strength Phase 1, Week 2, Lower Body Day 1
A) Box Squat 4 x 4 @ 235
B) Speed Deadlift 8x2 @ 200
C) Walking DB lunge 3 x 8/leg @ 2 x 35 lbs
D1) Reverse Crunch 3 x 12
D2) Prone Bridge 3 x 30 sec.

Notes:
- Got my conditioning done early today as I was at my 4 year old "pseudo nephew's" birthday party. Call him pseudo nephew cause he's the son of close family friend's daughter. their kids are the closest to brothers and sisters I have, therefore... pseudo nephews and nieces. Plenty of chasing kids, tossing them in a bouncy house (whatever it's called) etc. Fun.
- Happy I even lifted. Drank 3 or 4 beers during said party, pizza, cake. Felt like napping.
- I realized how much gpp work really can help recovery if done right. I did some easy walking/bike stuff last week, pulled the sled real light yesterday etc. and feel much better than usual. Doing CF workouts... not so much. Dragging a light sled/pushing prowler, technique work etc. is good.

Derek Weaver
09-21-2010, 12:01 AM
9/20/10 Tuesday. Max. Strength Phase 1 Upper Body Day 1
A) Bench Press 4 x 4 @ 205, 215, 220, 220
B1) Low Incline Neutral Grip DB BP 3 x 9 @ 70. 70, 70
B2) Neutral Grip Seated Cable Row 4 x 9 @ 150, 150, 150
C1) Trap Raise 3 x 12 @ 10
C2) Side Lying Ext. Rotation 3 x 12/side @ 10
D1) Side Plank 3 x 30s/side

Notes:
- Medium volume week. In the book Cressey notes that you should use the most weight possible with perfect form. Strategy is to push the main lift of the day if possible, and adjust the assistance/supplemental stuff as necessary.
- Happy to make a little 5 lb jump on the bench. 225 or 230 was definitely possible and I'll attempt that jump next week during the "Very High" volume week.

Derek Simonds
09-21-2010, 05:02 AM
Your bench is going through the roof. I did 195 X 5 X 3 and I thought that was going to kill me. Nice work.

Derek Weaver
09-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks Derek. I've always been a pretty decent bench presser. Odd, considering I have relatively long arms relative to my body type. Of course, I'm short, so even with relatively long arms... they're not that long.

Interesting blog from Cressey. #3 is my favorite point. Can anyone guess why?

http://ericcressey.com/five-reasons-you-arent-getting-stronger

Derek Simonds
09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
You should print that out, frame it and hang it on your wall!

Derek Weaver
09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
You should print that out, frame it and hang it on your wall!

I just hope nobody finds out I bribed Cressey to write that...

9/22/10 Wednesday Max. Strength Phase 1, Lower body Day 2
A)Front Squat 4 x 6 @ 205, 215, 225, 225 (5 + 1)
B)Rack Pull 3 x 6 @ 315, 315, 225- see below
C) DB Bulgarian Split Squat 3 x 5/leg @ 50, 50, 50
D1) Pull Through 3 x 12 @ 150
D2) Reverse Crunch 3 x 12

Notes:
- Front squats felt real good. I'm sure 225 x 6 is some sort of a PR. I think I had front squatted ~ 250 for a triple, but never 225 for 6. Fatigue sets in on front squats in a hurry anything over 3 for me. Last set I thought I was in danger of missing the last rep, something I didn't want to do. I racked it to avoid failure, took a big breath and hit the last rep.
- Rack pulls went horribly. I don't know if it was from the squatting, but my low back had no juice. At all. I didn't feel that great to start out, I think cause I sit so damn much, but the squatting went well. I think any kind of pulling would have been bad.

Arien Malec
09-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Nice work on the front squats. My upper body gets fried from reps that high -- good stuff...

Kevin Perry
09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Like Arien said, That is some good Front Squating something i'm really lacking on. How are rack pulls working out for you?

Derek Weaver
09-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys.

Kevin,
I like rack pulls, but they didn't go well yesterday. It's strange. I was pulling ~350-360 for reps about 18 months ago, now pulling 315 from the rack seems to be an issue.

I wonder if there's some sort of pelvic thing still going on. Or if sitting results in enough weakness that it's either squat or deadlift, but not always both.... Not sure on this one.

Derek Weaver
09-24-2010, 10:31 PM
9/23/2010 Friday Max Strength Phase 1 Week Two lower body Day 2
A1) 1 Arm DB Push Press 4 x 6 @ 65, 65, 65, 70
A2) Close Grip Chins 3 x 6 @ BW
B1) Push Up 3 x 12
B2) 1 Arm DB Row 3 x 12 @ 70
C1) Kneeling Ext. Rot. 3 x 12 @ 25, 25, 15
C2) Side Bridge 3 x 30s/side

Notes:
- Late night workout. Birthday party to be at tomorrow, so tonight is a down night.
- Kneeling Ext. Rotations didn't feel right, dropped the weight way down on the final set (duh) and felt good.
- Going into high stress workout week, high stress work week. Should be fun to see how this works.

Derek Weaver
09-27-2010, 12:10 AM
9/26/10 Sunday Max. Strength Phase 1 Week 3 Lower Day 1
A) Squat 8 x 3 @ 245, 265, 275, 285, 290, 290, 275, 245
B) Speed DL 10 x 2 @ 225
C) Walking DB Lunge 4 x 8/side @ 35 lbs
D1) Reverse Crunch 3 x 12
D2) Prone Plank 3 x 30 seconds

Notes:
- Squats supposed to be box squats, but there was no box I could use tonight. Odd, I work out late at night at 24 Hour Fitness, and the step up boxes were being used by some, what I think, soccer players.
- Anyway, I thought I was going to get to an ever 300 for a triple, but I was tanked. Pretty stoked, I think this was ~40 lbs over my box squat 1rm. Well, what I thought was my 1 rm. Testing by myself without a rack probably had me short change it.
- Nachos are a great recovery meal. That is all.

Derek Weaver
10-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Sooooo..... Started coming down with what I thought was a cold. So I took Tuesday through Thursday off completely. Worked out Monday, but I don't have my log book handy so I'll have to update it later.

Otherwise, the last few days I've been studying and building things all day with the exception of when I escaped to the Pmenu forums. Big test tomorrow morning.

worked out today, had a lack of equipment and an already screwed up training week in what's supposed to be the Very High training stress week. Had to compensate as best as I could and combine and Upper and Lower workout

10/1/10 Friday
A) Front Squat (4 x2- 10s) x5 clusters @ 175
B) RDL from the deck 4 x 8 @ 185 with a shrug
C) Bench Press (4 x 2- 10 s) x 5 clusters @ 165
D) 1- Arm Barbell Row 4 x8/side @ 65 lbs

Notes:
- Pretty tired and I was working by myself with no stall bars, no rack etc. so I kept it lighter. Still super fatigued. Close to 150 full body reps
- Schedule's going to get even weirder with some travel I've got coming up, and will have to do my best to keep on track. Cressey wrote a good article called "4 Ways to Stay on Track" that's good. Combining Upper/Lower when you absolutely have to while lowering the volume is a good way to do it.

Derek Weaver
10-03-2010, 06:32 PM
So..... I had a test yesterday morning at 8 am. Woke up at 5 after not being able to fall asleep until 12:15. Then went to my pseudo nephews Karate tournament. The younger one is only 4 and fought in the advanced 5-6 group. He's not even old enough to take classes at the Dojo his older brother trains at, but they let him fight. Go figure. he lost his first match 3-2 against a hot dog little shit who was doing cartwheel kicks and all. In a point Karate tournament. He took a huge shot to the stomach, started crying, almost didn't go on, but went back to score two points on the kid. I'm not even his parents and I was proud beyond words of him. He's going to be a stud.

His older brother dominated his first match and skunked the kid. Lost 3-2 in his second against a kid who would hop up in the air and tap his opponent on the head to score. That's what's stupid about point style tournaments. Of course, for 10 year olds and down, full contact isn't a great idea. Either way, we were all real excited for both of them. The older one is fast. Like scary fast. If he stays with it he will be very special. He's more calculating, his younger brother is freaking nuts and hyper aggressive. Both with big potential.

Got home, fell asleep at 8, woke up today at noon. Not kidding. So lifting looked like this:

10/3/10 Sunday Back Off Day
Squat up to 205 for maybe 5 or 6 x 3
Bench Ladder 175 for 3 x (1,2,3)
RDL From Deck @ 185 for 3 x 6-8 with a shrug.
Couple sets of rows cause I feel guilty after benching.

Notes:
- Didn't feel like setting up a box, doing lunges etc. A back off is a back off.
- After crashing so hard, I'd say it's safe to assume that whatever I do this week needs to be fairly mindless and easy. I'll try and drag the prowler real light a few days to facilitate recovery.
- Lots of stretching etc. is on the books. I need to work my Krav drills more. Being at the tournament makes me inspired. I was supposed to move, and where I was headed had plenty of action out there regarding MA schools, but that's on hold. I feel better about a lot of stuff when I have a system reliant on values and discipline to follow each day. It's different than lifting.

Arien Malec
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Then went to my pseudo nephews Karate tournament.

Great stories. I had a kid on the soccer team I coached who was a junior blackbelt in taekwondo, and was working on her adult blackbelt, at the age of 11. She was a force to be reckoned with on the soccer pitch -- super agressive defender, and often got a ball to the face in thanks. No matter how hard she was hit, she'd never come off the field. Martial arts builds some serious toughness; good lesson for kids today...

Derek Weaver
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Indeed. Martial arts are a great way to instill certain values and develop attributes in youngsters that last a lifetime.

I wish I had stuck with it when I was younger. I could have benefitted from that foundation that I just didn't have as I got older. Even though I trained a ton and very hard through much of college, it was quite different. Life has a way of disrupting these lessons as we get older. Even I get this, and I'm still in my 20's.

As for Training 10/4/10-10/7/10
Squatting a bit. Real light for triples. Knees feel great.
No deadlifting other than the RDLs on monday. HItting some glute hams. Doing some unilateral work and some band work.

Plenty of mobility and flexibility stuff. Taking it easy so I can resume the programming I'd already started. New four week block begins on Sunday or Monday.

Derek Weaver
10-12-2010, 01:28 AM
10/10/10 (whoa) Sunday. Max Strength Phase 2, Week 1 Lower
A) Front Squat Clusters (4x2-10s) x 5 @ 185
B) DB step up 3 x 8/leg @ 2 x 35 lbs
C1) Barbell Ab Roll out 3 x 10 @ 135
C2) GHR 3 x 8
D) Single Leg Squat to box 2 x 10/leg

Notes:
- Barbell roll outs really suck. I can do an ab wheel roll out standing, but a 135 lb barbell is a freakish experiment. Abs sore.
- I had a really hard time getting going. Clusters, in theory should allow you to lift a 5 rm weight 8 times for the cluster. No way in hell this was happening. Ramping the weight and 185 felt like a dead weight to me. Not so heavy as it was just sloooow. If a weight is that slow in warm ups, when I am really focusing on speed, I know to back off.

10/11/10 Monday Max Strength Phase 2, Week 1 Upper
A1) Incline BP Clusters (4x2 10s) x 5 @ 185, 165, 165, 165, 155
A2) Weighted Pull up Cluster (4x2 10s) x 5 @ BW + 35
B1) DB BP 3 x 8 @ 80, 85, 85 x 7 reps
B2) 1 Arm Row 3 x 8 @ 80
C1) Cable Backhand 3 x 12 @ 20
C2) Zottman Curl 3 x 10 @ 30, 20, 20

Notes:
- Again, clusters were not a pleasant experience. Admittedly, inclines are rough for me with the right shoulder being scoped years ago. I could feel the reps taking their toll on the shoulder by the 2nd rep of the 3rd cluster and dropped weight. Fatigue compromised form on the inclines than it seems to on flat.
- Zottmans w/ 30s turned into supinated curls to Hammer curls ~5 reps in. Dropped to 20s for the quality reps.
- Almost threw up after this one. I work out late at night as my schedule is really odd right now, but on workout days, I eat a really light dinner to prevent this.
- Almost threw up on upper body days in the first phase as well. Maybe it's the volume.

Derek Simonds
10-12-2010, 05:46 AM
That is pretty intense to get the throw up feeling on upper body lifting days. I have only ever felt that way from squatting or dl'ing and conditioning. You hanging in there with all the stressors in your life?

Arien Malec
10-12-2010, 06:40 AM
- Barbell roll outs really suck. I can do an ab wheel roll out standing, but a 135 lb barbell is a freakish experiment.

Oh, but it's so good!

Derek Weaver
10-12-2010, 01:49 PM
That is pretty intense to get the throw up feeling on upper body lifting days. I have only ever felt that way from squatting or dl'ing and conditioning. You hanging in there with all the stressors in your life?

I don't do squats or DLs for much over 6 or 7 reps due to the throw up factor. Instant nausea anything higher than that.

I think I know what's happening w/ upper body days. After the first big pairing, I take minimal rest. Back and forth between stations. If my workout takes say, 80 minutes, maybe 50 is on the first exercise or exercise pairing.

It's just a way for me to get my heart rate up while pushing the assistance stuff hard.
edit: The resulting nausea is an issue to figure out though.

Oh, but it's so good!

Abs still sore today from these.

Derek Weaver
10-14-2010, 12:51 PM
10/13/10 WEdnesday Max Strength Phase 2, Week 1
A) Supposed to Be Broad Jump (see below) Speed Squat 8 x 2 @ 185
B) Deadlift 5 x 5 @ 225, 295, 295, 295, 275
C) DB Reverse Lunge 3 x 6/side
D) Pallof Press 3 x 10/side @ 70, 70, 60

Notes:
- The spin studio/step aerobics/cardio kickbox etc. studio was locked last night. That's the only real place to broad jump. Walking lunges and all are fine on the floor, but a broad jump can suck if someone isn't paying attention (me or another person) and a collision occurs
- Deads just don't feel right. I've got a lot of non painful clicking and popping through my pelvis right now. May make these RDLs or extra Glute- Hams until I can figure out what's going on. No pain whatsoever
- Squats actually feel great. As my hips have improved, and I've been able to open my shoulders and chest my squat positioning has improved greatly. Back feels good, knees are good. Ankles are a touch tight at times, but after a decent warm up and mobility stuff I'm good. Crossing my fingers this keeps up.

Derek Weaver
10-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Playing catch up updating my log here.
10/14/2010 Thursday Max Strength Phase 2 Upper 2
A) Speed Bench 10 x 3 @ 135
B1) Close Grip BP 4x5 @ 185, 205, 205, 205
B2) Chest Supported Row @ 90, 120, 120, 120
C1) Inverted Row 3 x 10
C2) Scap Push up 3 x 15

Notes:
- Speed bench was heavier than the assigned percentage by a little. I was still light and snappy though.
- Took it easier, had a little shoulder stuff with close grip BP's. Looking for quality reps and checking weights if form gets a little suspect. Trying to control the ego.

10/17/2010 Sunday Max Strength Lower 1
A) Front Squat (5x1) x 5 @ 185, 200, 200, 200, 185
B) DB Step Up 3 x 6/side @ 2 x 35 lb DBs
C1) Roll Out 2 x 10 @ 135
C2) GHR 2 x 8
D) Single Leg Squat to Box 2 x 10/side

Notes:
- Not much to report. Cluster training wears me out. I don't get nearly as many reps as Cressey estimates I should. No way I could use a 5 rm weight and get through a full cluster, let alone 4-5 of them.

10/18/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 2 Upper 1
A1) Incline BP (5 x 1) x 5 @ 185, 175x4 clusters
A2) Weighted Pull up (5x2) x 5 + 35 lbs
B1) DB BP 3 x 6 @ 85, 85, 85
B2) DB Row 3 x 6 @ 90, 90, 90
C2) Zottman Curl 3 x 10 @ 27.5, 20, 20

Notes:
- Realized I'm using the steepest incline bench in the gym. That's part of why the weights are so much lower. Still a crappy incline bencher though.
- Not doing head supported rows. No way I rest my head on one of those benches, and I don't trust the towel once it's already down.

10/20/10 Wednesday Max Strength Phase 2 Lower 2
A) Broad Jump became Speed Squat 7 x 3 @ 185
B) Deadlift became RDL 4 x 5 @ 225, 275, 275, 225 (whoa)
C) DB Rev. Lunge 3 x 6/side @ 45, 50, 50
D) Pallof Press 3 x 10/side @ 80

Notes:
- Studio locked up again. Looked for another lower body power exercise. Speed squats were it. Looked for as much speed, especially out of the hole (duh), as possible without pitching forward. Stopped once I got a slower set.
- Deads still not right. Gotta be the sitting at work. The fact I can RDL from the deck a decent weight is good though. I swear, once I figure out my lower body issues, I'll throw a party.
- Squats still feel really freaking good. I'm sure a lot is mobility work, but this is very nice. I was ready to write off the back squat altogether just a few months ago.
- Hopefully I'll be able to keep the squat going, figure out the deadlift stuff and be "not that weak" in the lower body anymore.

Allen Yeh
10-21-2010, 05:04 AM
In one of Eric's recent blog posts or articles he mentioned he liked the chest supported row movement and if that isn't available to use the head supported row. Since you don't like the head supported row.....chest supported as an option? I feel a big difference between completely free standing db row and head/chest supported.

Derek Weaver
10-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that should have been edited for one arm db row on bench.

I went with that instead of walking across the gym for a cable or chest supported row.

I should have, and will go with the chest supported row this coming week.

I really like this program, even though I've had to make a few subs and made the Phase 1 low intensity/volume week completely different. I listened to my body after sleeping 16 consecutive hours heading into that week.

Derek Weaver
10-21-2010, 11:43 PM
10/21/2010 Thursday Max Strength Phase 2 Week 3 Upper 2
A) Speed Bench 8 x 3 up to 185 for 5 sets- see below
B1) Close Grip BP 3 x 5 @ 205, 225 x 4 + 1 @ 205, 205
B2) Chest Supported Row 3 x 5 @ 120, 135, 135
C1) Inverted Row 3 x 12 - diesel crew variation:
C2) Scap Push up 3 x 15

Notes:
- I think that percentage based recommendations are stupid for anyone but the more advanced. I think that may be the one thing I don't really agree with EC on. That and the higher rep front squats. Upper back is toast after those.
- Each week I've had at least one lift that has gone up noticeably in terms of poundage. The close grip BP's felt real good, then got shaky as all get out @ 225 by the 4th rep. Had I had a spotter I would have stuck with it and gotten the reps even if I had to grind them out.
- Considering that intermediates, and advanced beginners (probably closer to where I am overall, advanced beginner) will make nice weekly progress, assigning percentages to a lift off of a 1rm taken 6-8 weeks ago doesn't make much sense. The big advanced guys who are fighting for 20-30 lbs at the most per year would do well for that. I may still be able to get 20-30 lbs per month depending on the lift.
- Forgot, I've been hitting 10-15 minutes on the bike after each workout. I'd like more work to help ensure my heart doesn't explode, but time is tight.

Derek Weaver
10-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Separate post for the post for the random, odd, and stupid things seen in a commercial gym. I hadn't worked out at a commercial/globo gym in maybe 4 years.

- Curls done on a bosu ball. Rather see them in a squat rack than the life threatening feat this is.
- Sissy squats with 4 plates per side and the spotter helping lift the squatters chest for the entire 1/4-1/3 ROM squat. Never got that one.
- Pose downs facing the mirrors in front of the squat cages. This is really odd. There is even a separate posing area/room at this gym. this is also very creepy.
- "It's all you bro!". It's not all him.
- Wide lat syndrome, with no lats.

This is a short list and there are many more odd things going on at this place that I forget about.

Even though all this crazy/weird stuff happens... I like the gym for it's equipment, the hours, it's clean etc. Good way to get out of the house 4 days per week. Seeing human faces, even if I don't know who they are, and they sometimes are weirdos is a good thing.

Derek Simonds
10-22-2010, 05:44 AM
:D There is some really wild shit that goes down in a commercial gym. It does me good to see it when I travel so that I appreciate my garage that much more.

I do give them credit for at least being in the gym instead of watching teewee.

The race was great. By the way I did 185 X 15 BS this morning, almost got to the pukey place, almost. My back gave out before my legs did.

Derek Weaver
10-24-2010, 11:31 PM
:D There is some really wild shit that goes down in a commercial gym. It does me good to see it when I travel so that I appreciate my garage that much more.

I do give them credit for at least being in the gym instead of watching teewee.

The race was great. By the way I did 185 X 15 BS this morning, almost got to the pukey place, almost. My back gave out before my legs did.

Forgot, I saw a kid get pinned by 135 in the rack. Luckily he had the pins set up and didn't eject his spine from his torso, but that was crazy. He had a workout partner too who let him fail like that.

185 x 15 sounds terrible. Any squat other than air squats for more than maybe 6 is awful in my opinion.

Training:
10/24/2010 Sunday Max Strength Phase 2, Week 4, Lower 1
A) Front Squat Clusters (4 x 1) x 6 @ 205, 215 x 5 clusters
B) DB Step Up 4 x 8/side @ 45, 40 x 3 sets
C1) Barbell Rollout 3 x 10 @ 135
C2) Natural GHR 3 x 8
D) Single Leg Squat to Box 2x10/side

Notes:
- That. Was. Awful.
- Legs were not the limiting factor on the front squats. Been having a lot of lower and mid back tightness and discomfort the last 2-3 days. Today was the best day and I was good enough to work out, but I still played it safe.
- Having the rack was a good psychological boost today. Last couple weeks I've gotten zilch out of the cluster phase of this program, I think partially because I haven't been able to be in the squat cage/rack.

Allen Yeh
10-25-2010, 05:55 AM
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/CresseyTrainingSystems/~3/mT8uSjuiEe8/new-strength-exercise-db-bulgarian-split-squat-from-deficit

BSS suck enough.....as it is. His newsletter has been sucking lately though, I know he' trying to shill his new product and more power to him. Irritating though.

I might have blacked out the entire cluster phase of the program as I just don't rememeber it much if at all...heh. I know you've been complaining a bunch about the sitting thing lately. There was an Mwod from last week I think where you can game sitting almost, 1 point for 1 minute of discrete hip stretching for every 1/2 hour of sitting, I did this 2 days last week while I was at work.

Arien Malec
10-25-2010, 09:10 AM
What are these clusters? (Google...) Oh. Ouch.. Yes, I figure my upper back would just about collapse..... Legs, no problem...

Derek Weaver
10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
What are these clusters? (Google...) Oh. Ouch.. Yes, I figure my upper back would just about collapse..... Legs, no problem...
Yeah, even lighter weight clusters are terrible. Cressey points out that a 5rm (EDIT) weight should be good for like 8 reps if your clusters look like 4x2 , but it turns out that I'm forced to use more like a 10rm weight to get 4-8 reps. It's really odd... and brutal.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/CresseyTrainingSystems/~3/mT8uSjuiEe8/new-strength-exercise-db-bulgarian-split-squat-from-deficit

BSS suck enough.....as it is. His newsletter has been sucking lately though, I know he' trying to shill his new product and more power to him. Irritating though.

I might have blacked out the entire cluster phase of the program as I just don't rememeber it much if at all...heh. I know you've been complaining a bunch about the sitting thing lately. There was an Mwod from last week I think where you can game sitting almost, 1 point for 1 minute of discrete hip stretching for every 1/2 hour of sitting, I did this 2 days last week while I was at work.

Agree that his newsletter royally blows right now. At a certain point, I just don't know how much his personal promotion is going to have an effect. Better off enlisiting affiliates and paying a commission if you ask me.

That variation looks brutal by the way.

Been gaming the sitting. I don't really know what caused the recent back discomfort. I had woken up on my stomach a few times last week, back doesn't like that.

I solved my back woes in a unique way though.... I slept on the floor. Not really any other way to sleep on the ground other than on your back. Side and stomach aren't very appealing.

Derek Weaver
10-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Just updating this so a) I don't get confused if I look back on this in several months time and b) people don't think I get all ADD again next week.

Travel next week is going to screw with my training schedule. Good news is that it's my deload week. I'll either hit up 2-3 lower intensity days (maybe some sort of density stuff, with very light weights, to elevate heart rate and save me the need for any extra conditioning I've been doing), or combine upper and lower days for only 3 training days. The way this one is scheduled in Maximum Strength it makes the situation a little funky.

Derek Weaver
10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
10/25/10 Monday Max. Strength PHase 2 Week 3 Upper 1
A1) Incline BP (4x1) x 6 @ 185 x 4 sets, 165 x 2 sets
A2) Weighted Pull Ups (4x2) x 6 BW @ 164 today + 30 lb DB. couldn't find 35 lb'er
B1) DB Bench Press 3 x 8 @ 90
B2) Chest Supported Row 3 x 8 @ 125
C2) Zottman Curlzzzz 3 x 10 @ 20

Notes:
- Better work today on the inclines, still crappy exercise for me. Never been a good incline presser.
- Felt pretty beastly on the DB benches. I think if I had a spotter 95's were a possibility. I needed moral support for that to happen.
- Lighter weight on the curlz and backhands was a good idea. I feel like the reps were of a greater quality there. Assistance and corrective stuff doesn't need to be jacked up with max weights. Makes sense to "feel" the muscle on these.

Allen Yeh
10-26-2010, 03:38 AM
b) people don't think I get all ADD again next week.

sure.....

Derek Simonds
10-26-2010, 06:30 AM
sure.....

+1...

Derek Weaver
10-26-2010, 11:32 AM
sure.....

+1...

Hey, hey, hey. It's a simple heads up that things may look a little funky. Deload week with a little wiggle room and being gone for 4 days will either end up with gym time being freestyled, or I'll have to combine workout days and improvise my schedule.

It depends on if I can get in the gym on Thursday before I fly out.

I'm actually pretty pumped for the final two phases. I'm always battling exercise ADD, but the variety of this one has kept me in check.

Derek Weaver
10-28-2010, 11:52 PM
10/28/2010 Thursday Max. Strength Phase 2 Week 3 Lower 2
A) Broad Jump 6 x 5
B) Deadlift written as 5x5 but done as this: 315 x 3, x1, x 2, x, 2, x 3, x 2. 225 x 6 sets x 2 reps (speed)- see notes for why
C) DB Rev. Lunge 4 x 6/side @ 2 x 50 lbs
D) Pallof Press 3 x 10 @ 80

Notes:
- Finally got to broad jump. Had no way to measure off distances, but I always felt more powerful and got more distance out of the 3rd jump.
- Deadlift I was toying with stance. I may have had an "a ha" moment. Brought the heels a bit in, just shy of a duck stance, and felt much better. Better positioning, hammies and glutes actually were able to finish out the movement. Hopefully it'll be something that lasts and lead to some good progress.
- Kept the deads low reps to capitalize on this. Decided 5 x 5 was not the best way to reinforce speed and set up. Didn't want fatigue to play a role in positioning.
- Speed work was done to... help speed and get some low fatigue reps in.
- Other than the deadlift discovery, today was an "eh" day. got a little quad discomfort in the reverse lunges. Looking forward to deloading, then getting into phase 3.

Arien Malec
10-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Got to have "punch the clock" workouts....

Derek Weaver
10-29-2010, 05:41 PM
This is true. Today I've got a better perspective and am happy I was able to get some reps in on the deadlift that didn't feel so vulnerable and off.

315 wasn't heavy in the least. I think by the end of this program in ~9 weeks I could finally surpass my previous deadlift strength from my SS run. Considering I had only regressed on lower body exercises... Taking close to 2 years to get to the same spot isn't exactly ideal.

Derek Weaver
10-31-2010, 03:30 PM
10/29/2010 Max Strength Phase 2 Week 4 Upper Day 2
A) Speed Bench 10 x 3 @ 165, 185 x 9 sets
B1) CGBP 5x5 @ 205, 215 x 4 sets
B2) Chest Supported Row 5x 5 @ 135, 145, 145, 135, 135
C1) Inverted Row 3 x 10
C2) Scap Push Up 3 x 12

Notes:
- Got some nice weight increases on a higher volume day. Good way to end the higher stress weeks of this phase.

10/31/2010 Sunday Max Strength Phase 2 Week 4 Lower Day 1
A) Step Up 2 x 6 @ 2 x 35 lbs
B1) Roll Out 2 x 10 @ 135
B2) GHR 2 x 8
C) 1 legged Squat to Box 2 x 10

Notes:
- Nice to deload this week. Beginning to notice some structural breakdown after last week. I feel really good up to the fourth day, then bomb out.
- I like this program. It's helping me work through some training ADD stuff, considering the variety and rotation of movements, and also getting me think about a few things.
- Feeling like crap after such a high volume/stress week makes me think about more autoregulated approaches for the future.
- Pumped to take a 1 RM bench press this Wednesday per the program.
- Have to combine lower body day 2 and upper body day 2 due to travel

Kevin Perry
10-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Your benching is looking really good, good job.

Arien Malec
10-31-2010, 09:37 PM
- Feeling like crap after such a high volume/stress week makes me think about more autoregulated approaches for the future.

This is one of the things I like about 5/3/1 and Bulgarian-style programs -- you feel like crap, you aren't going to push the reps; you feel great, and you get really good volume.

I assume you've seen:

http://www.ampedtraining.com/workouts/apre-strength-size

and

http://www.sportsperformancecoach.com/documents/LinearPeriodizationvsAPRE.pdf

Derek Weaver
11-02-2010, 02:20 AM
I'd seen the first link, missed the second one somehow. Good stuff on both of those.

11/1/2010 Max Strength Phase 2, Week 4, Lower 1 (deload week)
A) Pull ups 3 x 5 (easy)- settled on bodyweight on this one.
B1) DB Bench 3 x 6 (easy) @ 80
B2) 1 Arm DB Row on bench (easy) 3 x 6 @ 80
C1) Cable Backhand 2 x 12/side @ 20
C2) Zottman Curlz 2 x 10 @ 20

Notes:
- Quick and easy. Added a set on accident for the first superset. Forgot my log at home so had to get it from memory.
- Got ~15 minutes on the bike afterwards.
- Awkward schedule and doing some testing stuff for the biz. Not sure when I'm going to sleep. This will be weird.

Thoughts:
- I need to get some sort of regular cardio going. Reading through the Ultimate MMA Conditioning thread and a few articles from Joel Jamieson online makes me think it's important. That and that my resting heart rate is 57 BPM, and when I'm in a bit better shape overall it's lower. I tend to be a bit leaner, sleep better, more relaxed etc. Getting stronger is rad, and I like this current program, but with an eye to the future, I should probably take care of my heart now while I'm in my 20's still and get a good jump on it. When i'm just a touch softer and just lifting I tend to get strange sleep patterns, and in turn eating habits get screwed, stress is tougher.
- I'll try and sneak in 1-2 sessions/week at a much longer duration, with low intensity per this article. I'll likely make it 45-60 minutes though at least to start. Even biking 15 min. isn't close to what he recommends.: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cardio_training_principles2.htm.
If I feel recovery getting wasted, I'll cut back. Hopefully it'll serve as active recovery, since he suggests it should.

Derek Weaver
11-02-2010, 07:09 PM
11/2/2010 Tuesday
Walk 2.75 miles with Dad. Took 2.5 miles of cardio stuff. Had a hard time pacing myself and not making it a HIIT session. I kept having to slow down to keep my heart rate from getting too high.

Total volume = 5.25 miles.

Not exactly what's recommended in that article I linked to, but it's a start.

I'm curious as to the speed program I had started, and had to stop due to my calves getting a little testy. I may have to give up on the thought of being a fast runner/sprinter again.

I need a mantra to repeat to myself. don't sit around and only lift, don't only condition. That Wendler T-Bag article had some nuggets in it that carry over.

Kevin Perry
11-02-2010, 07:26 PM
11/2/2010 Tuesday
Walk 2.75 miles with Dad. Took 2.5 miles of cardio stuff. Had a hard time pacing myself and not making it a HIIT session. I kept having to slow down to keep my heart rate from getting too high.

Total volume = 5.25 miles.

Not exactly what's recommended in that article I linked to, but it's a start.

I'm curious as to the speed program I had started, and had to stop due to my calves getting a little testy. I may have to give up on the thought of being a fast runner/sprinter again.

I need a mantra to repeat to myself. don't sit around and only lift, don't only condition. That Wendler T-Bag article had some nuggets in it that carry over.

I'm gonna do the same thing, plan on getting at least 2 days a week of cardio even if it is only slow steady state for 20-30 min

Allen Yeh
11-03-2010, 04:11 AM
I had been really good about getting in a 30 minute walk everyday on top of my training, felt like that was a good id4ea....why did I stop doing that again?

this morning.....30 min walk. it will be done.

Derek Weaver
11-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Good call on the daily walk. I remember Lyle wrote a n article on cardio during mass gains and recommended it be maintained a few days per week. Included nutrient partitioning, heart healthy, maintenance of fat burning path ways. I need to keep up with it.

11/3/2010 Wednesday Max Strength Phase 2, Week 4, Upper Lower Combined Day
A) Speed Bench 5 x 3 @ 135, 155, 175, 175, 175
+ 1rm Bench Test = 255 @ RPE ~ 9.1. See below how I got that RPE
B) Deadlift 2 x 5 (went for a total of 10 reps depending on how I felt per set) @ 275 x 2, 3, 3, 3 (11 reps total)
C) Chest Supported Rows 3 x 8 @ 125

Notes:
- I think I could have gotten this weight for a double, but may have ended up blowing a gasket doing it. May have been more like a ME double weight. Only kid I could find to spot me seemed terrified to spot me. That didn't really help my mindset. Goal for "Moving Day" = 275 bench press. This can happen.
- Didn't really want to do anything after a weak showing in the bench press. 10 lb jump from "Packing Day".

Travel tomorrow morning through Sunday afternoon. I'll be in San Diego. Good friend of mine from college just lost his Dad. A few of us who are still in this area are flying down tomorrow. Looks like we'll unfortunately miss the memorial, but they're staying up beat about everything. Burying a pig on Friday, Hawaiian Style, and making it a celebration of life instead of a mourning of death.

Derek Weaver
11-09-2010, 01:31 AM
11/8/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 1 Lower 1
A) SN Grip DL 3 x 3, 2 x 5 @ (255, 275, 295) (255, 255)
B) Speed DL 8x 1 @ 205
C) Walking DB Lunge 3 x 7 @ 50, 1 x 10 @ 30
D1) Dragon Flag 3 x 12
D2) Side Bends 3 x 10 @ 70

Notes:
- Got my Spud belt in. I like it a lot. Lower back felt much safer today. Took it easy and worked the weight up to the top triple. Used straps for the second and third sets.
- Went with side bends in place of Suitcase DLs cause my lower back was letting me know it was close to having enough. Not sure if this was Cressey Friendly, but I wasn't sure what else to do.

Big weekend this last weekend. Thursday through Sunday morning was nutty. Everyone was very upbeat, which was really great that they chose to treat this hard situation with such grace, dignity, and general feelings of happiness remembering the good.

It's always fun when we can get a crew together from college. There was a crew of us, maybe 7-8 strong who were always around and getting into trouble in college. I think we had 5 of us there. We did some BBQ'ing, lots of drinking, and some reminiscing.

Completely different subject, but good fortune is smiling on me. I got a free pair of Lynx grips at a nutrition store I use in my town. I went in to pick up some vitamin D. I have a "rewards card" or whatever it is. Something free, and I had gotten enough they threw in a pair of grips. Cool.

also scored the Ultimate MMA Conditioning book for $10 from a friend I used to train with in college. He was still at the school we went to, and has stopped training. Joel Jamieson is fully legitimate.

I have no desire to fight in Mixed Martial Arts, or train in it. But I do hope to get back in a Krav Maga school, or some other "street fighting/defense" style. I figure a lot of the concepts can be applied towards general conditioning to shore up weaknesses. The dude is smart.

Samuel Hughes
11-09-2010, 05:41 AM
I was thinking about getting some lynx grips. Will you post your thoughts after giving them a shot?

Arien Malec
11-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Does Cressy have a test/retest or measure of how the program is working? That's one of the things I like about the simpler programs (Starting Strength, Texas Method, 5/3/1) -- really clear what progress means.

Derek Simonds
11-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Seems like you have dealt well with everything thrown at you over the last couple of weeks. You will hit a 275 bench on moving for sure.

I also want to know about your spud belt. I have to get a different belt besides the velcro one I am using.

Derek Weaver
11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Samuel,
I used the Lynx grips last night for the DB lunges. Better grip on commercial grip equipment. I'm actually really looking forward to using them for heavy pressing movements.

I would say that if you work in a commercial facility where the bars aren't kept up well, and also lose a lot of knurling because of high rates of use, there's no reason not to have at least one pair. At $6-$8, there's no reason not to get a pair or two.

Arien,
Yes, Cressey does have some bench mark stuff. Last week was one of them for the bench. He's got some heavy singles coming up next cycle to get an idea of where the "openers" may come in on "Packing Day" or maybe it's called "Moving Day". Either way, it's Test Day coming up in 8 weeks.

I keep a good log, so I can tell if I have gotten easier reps, more weight etc. Not a linear progression program, but I feel pretty good physically. Also really looking forward to the deload weeks after week 3.

Derek,
Thanks for the kind words. Stress stuff has been reasonably high, but different. Easier to manage and cope with. got some stuff I'm testing out and researching, so I've actually got a little more time to relax in between actually being productive.

The Spud is rad. Very sturdy. Velcro strap, unlike the leather belts with 1 or 2 prongs, or even levers like the Inzers. For what I need it for, it's the best. I can tell that after only the one workout I've had it for. 2 ply around the sides, 3 in the back for extra stability. Very convenient, and just enough dig to know when it's tight enough. At ~$55 thru EFS it's a can't miss.

Not PL legal though, so if you are going to want to lift in competition, you'd either need 2 belts, or to get a different one altogether.

275 lb bench press, here I come. At ~166 right now. If my weight holds steady and I get a 275 BP, I'd be stoked.

Derek Weaver
11-10-2010, 12:49 AM
11/9/2010 Tuesday Max. Strength Phase 3, Week1, Upper 1
A) Floor Press 3 x 3 ( 225, 235, 235) 2 x 5 @ (205, 205)
B1) Chest Supported Row 3 x 7 @ 135 on bar, 1 x 10 @ 90 on bar
B2) Band Push up 3 x 7, 1 x 10
C1) Face Pull 3 x 10 @ 50, 80, 80
C2) Band BTN Pull Aparts 3 x 12

Notes:
- It's odd. This felt shaky on the ground without much of an arch compared to on a bench. My strong point is actually halfway up. Weak point is off my chest, so I'm not sure if this is even an exercise that's needed. It can't hurt though.
- Accidentally reversed the order of the rows and the push ups. Had to sub chest supported for cable rows as the two cable row stations were taken.
- Been logging at least 10 minutes of easy work on the bike after workouts.

Derek Weaver
11-10-2010, 11:47 PM
For anyone wondering how to tell about progress or even how to pick out your weights for the day, Cressey had a good blog post.

I was essentially doing this already, but it was good to get some confirmation.
http://ericcressey.com/how-to-select-what-weight-to-use-in-a-resistance-training-program

In addition, I prefer this type of programming as it stands now. The AMRAP sets like in 5/3/1 blow me out on the big lifts. Assistance stuff is good with volume, but anything over ~6 reps in a foundational lift ends up with me not feeling all that well pretty quickly.

Derek Weaver
11-12-2010, 05:02 PM
11/11/2010 Thursday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 1 Lower 2
A) Speed Squat 10 x 2 @ 185
B1) Rack Pull 315 x 5, 340 x 5, 360 x 5, 315 x 7 reps x 2 sets
B2) Wall Ankle Mobs 4 x 8/side
C) Reverse Lunge From Deficit 55 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets, 40 x 7 reps
D1) Cable Wood Chop Chest Height 3 x 10 @ 80, 60, 60
D2) Bulgarian (RFESS) Split Squat EQI 2 x 30s/leg

Bike for ~15 minutes. Straight up steady state. I usually do this after workouts but don't log it. Looking for a bigger ride Saturday in the 60 minute range.
Notes:
- Long workout. Happy with the rack pulls in that my back felt really good. SPUD BELT GOODNESS on that. best purchase of any sort in a long time.
- I'm actually looking forward to some endurance work after this. I've got 7 weeks til I can test to see how close I am to manhood (300 lb bench press. This isn't going to happen, but ~275 or maybe a bump could happen.), and un-vagina like (finally get the 400 lb deadlift to fall)
- Assuming things are okay with my hip/back, I think the 400 dead will topple. Fingers crossed for good things.

Haven't posted it in log, but I tweaked my foot while I was in San Diego. Was looking for a decent paced run/power walk of around 60 minutes on Wednesday, but I held off. Complete rest on Wednesday.

I may fit it in on Saturday as I have a family member staying with us at the house that I can only take for minutes at a time before it's time for a break. Or I may do it right now. I feel like I'm ready to pull my hair out.

PS
I am going to start working on a Mook Jong this weekend as a way to a) take a break from my computer for an hour or so per day and be outside (assuming no rain) b) practice some Wing Chun stuff I picked up in a crash course a long while back c) there a bunch of other Krav Maga and Muay Thai drills I can do on it. d) I want to know if I can build it.

Not sure if I have the tools to do it, but if need be, I guess I'll just do the wood working myself and learn on the way. it'll be an interesting project. No timetable for completion. Could be a week, or a decade.

Derek Simonds
11-13-2010, 05:28 AM
My friend built one of those and a makiwara (sp) board. He has both in his backyard and loves it. I don't want to jinx you but dammit this is the most consistent you have been in a while! Keep up the good work.

Derek Weaver
11-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Super consistent. Also, been good cause a few times I've had to combine workouts, and did so following the guidelines from EC's "4 Ways To STay On Track".

Depending on what goes on with my back the lower body stuff may get altered, but until then, it's full steam ahead.

11/12/2010 Friday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 1 Upper 2
A) Speed Bench 10 x 3 @ 185 x 2 sets, 175 x 3 sets, 135 x 5 sets
B1) DB Push Press 3 x 5 @ 55, 1 x 7 @ 40
B2) Seated Cable Row 3 x 5 @ 120, 150, 160, 2 x 7 @ 130
C1) Straight Arm Pulldown 3 x 12 @ 50
C2) Ext. Rotation 2 x 10 @ 20

Notes:
- The speed benches are actually supposed to be speed pin presses. What I did was make it a pause on the chest, which is my sticking point. Honestly, this is the one weakness in the program is that it doesn't offer an alternative once weak link has been discovered. If someone is weak out of the hole in their squats, it doesn't get addressed until the final phase with anderson front squats. Likewise, most peole stall somewhere around the halfway point on the concentric phase of the bench press. What about those of us who are weak off the chest and pick up a ton of speed ~3-4 inches above that?
- This workout was done, including 15 minutes on bike in 50 minutes last night. Got to the gym late, they said that 24 Hour Fitness isn't actually 24 hours on weekends and they were closing in ~1 hour. People were still trickling in and the front desk people weren't letting them know. They either were lying so they could close up shop, or some people were going to get a nice warm up and nothing else.

Arien Malec
11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Some of my best workouts have been speed workouts. Hit it hard and fast, and go home....

Derek Weaver
11-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Indeed. Surprisingly enough, I didn't feel like I was going to puke after this one. A few of the upper body workouts in this program have made me nauseous.

Derek Weaver
11-14-2010, 11:52 PM
11/14/2010 Sunday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 2 Lower 1
A) SN Grip DL 4 x 2 @ 315, 2 x 4 @ 275
A2) Seated 90/90 stretch 15s/side x4
B) Speed Deads 8 x 1 @ 225
C) Walking lunge 3 x 7 @ 40, 1 x 10 @ 30
D1) Dragon Flag 3 x 12
D2) Side Bend 3 x 10 @ 70

30 minutes on bike averaging 146 heart rate
Notes:
- I was too lazy to switch out the plates for the speed pulls.... but I was fast off the floor. Even in my decrepit state, 225 isn't heavy, but I had a ton of speed tonight.
- I was going to go longer on the bike, but the gym was going to close. Whatever will keep me out of the house longer while a certain family member stays with us.
I'm not kidding, my extended family could be on Maury Povich or Jerry Springer. Immediate family is cool though.

Derek Weaver
11-16-2010, 01:37 AM
11/15/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 1 Upper 1
A) Floor Press 4 x 2 @ 225, 235, 240, 240
B1) Band Push ups 3 x 7, 1 x 10
B2) Chest Supported Row 3 x 7 (135 on bar), 1 x 10 (100 on bar)
C1) Face Pull 3 x 10 @ 80
C2) BTN Band Pull Aparts 3 x 12

30 minutes on bike avg. heart rate 141

Notes:
- Joints felt a little unfriendly. 250 for a double on the floor press is in order. Shoulders felt a little rickety so 240 it was tonight.
- WRT bike/jogging etc. I remember seeing a quote, I think on the front page of the Pmenu. Maybe it was from Joel Jamieson? Either way, it was basically that the lowest intensity to elicit the adaptation should be used. That resonated a bit with me. I've been riding the bike at a resistance level that allows a relatively high RPM, and in turn my heart rate is elevated a bit, but not so much it saps my legs the next day. I've actually felt a lot better getting in some work. Sleep quality is definitely impacted in a positive way fairly quickly.
- I just need to remember to deload everything during deload week this time. Got a little aggressive last time.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2010, 03:46 AM
When I was doing tons or triathlons for recovery work we would do high rpm bike rides. Same thing when you were coming back in from the ride portion of the race I would switch up to an easier gear and ride the last couple of minutes at a higher rpm. When I didn't do that before the run my legs always felt dead. I was told that it helped flush out the lactic acid. Don't know the validity of that but I agree with what you are doing from my own practical experience.

Derek Weaver
11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
yeah, the idea that it helps flush the lactic acid out makes sense, but I don't know either if it's accurate.

Went for a 50 minute jog/power walk last night. Had a hard time keeping my heart rate steady. If i jog, I may spike my heart rate up to 170+. If I power walk, I struggle to get my heart rate up to 130. I wasn't tired in the least when I got done, but I was a little confused by the zig zagging HR. I felt like when I was jogging that I had a slower pace than walking.

I may be overdoing it with some of the cardiac output stuff, but considering I'm attempting to be business like from my home, and have relatives I need to escape from.... I'll risk it.

Arien Malec
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Go for RPEs rather than HR, IMHO.

Derek Weaver
11-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately incorrect given the goal. RPE's on lifting stuff makes sense. When doing aerobic work, HR is required.

Sprinting and intervals are largely HR independent WRT effectiveness, but any steady state work requires monitoring of HR. Wish it wasn't so.

Samuel Hughes
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM
yeah, the idea that it helps flush the lactic acid out makes sense, but I don't know either if it's accurate.

Went for a 50 minute jog/power walk last night. Had a hard time keeping my heart rate steady. If i jog, I may spike my heart rate up to 170+. If I power walk, I struggle to get my heart rate up to 130. I wasn't tired in the least when I got done, but I was a little confused by the zig zagging HR. I felt like when I was jogging that I had a slower pace than walking.

I may be overdoing it with some of the cardiac output stuff, but considering I'm attempting to be business like from my home, and have relatives I need to escape from.... I'll risk it.

Easy skipping maybe? or just do like 50yds walking, 50yds jogging, 50yds back pedalling etc. Switching movements might keep any particular muscle group from fatigue/demanding more blood flow.

Derek Weaver
11-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Easy skipping maybe? or just do like 50yds walking, 50yds jogging, 50yds back pedalling etc. Switching movements might keep any particular muscle group from fatigue/demanding more blood flow.

Fatigue isn't the issue. I wasn't tired when I got done, and I am fine today and ready to get my lifting in tonight. It was just keeping my HR within the guidelines laid out.

I do like the idea you've got simply due to the boredom factor. I've seen Joel Jamieson write an article for Elite FTS where he suggests alternating between 10 minutes of jogging, med ball work, shadow boxing, sled pulling etc. Whatever will keep the HR high enough to elicit the adaptation while not blowing the athlete out.

Arien Malec
11-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately incorrect given the goal. RPE's on lifting stuff makes sense. When doing aerobic work, HR is required.

I won't argue too hard, but I disagree. The Borg RPE scale has shown high correlation with HR, and was studied originally (and exclusively AFAIK) in aerobic exercise.

Derek Weaver
11-18-2010, 02:04 AM
What I know about the Borg RPE scale seems that it takes some testing and experience to get used to it.
From this article (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/strengthening/a/030904.htm):
A high correlation exists between a person's perceived exertion rating times 10 and the actual heart rate during physical activity; so a person's exertion rating may provide a fairly good estimate of the actual heart rate during activity (Borg, 1998). For example, if a person's rating of perceived exertion (RPE) is 12, then 12 x 10 = 120; so the heart rate should be approximately 120 beats per minute. Note that this calculation is only an approximation of heart rate, and the actual heart rate can vary quite a bit depending on age and physical condition. The Borg Rating of Perceived Exertion is also the preferred method to assess intensity among those individuals who take medications that affect heart rate or pulse.

Last night while doing my road work, I was jogging at what I would figure to be a ~12-14 RPE, meaning i should have been anywhere between 120-140 beats according to the scale as I understand it. HR monitor reported HR @ 172. I stopped at the corner to do my best to check pulse and my HR was in fact close to 170 BPM, with the expected drop off of a few beats by standing still.

On top of that, through my years of rugby, basketball, and the en vogue interval and CF conditioning we did at the MT, Krav Maga + BJJ gym, I can work at a decent heart rate and feel fine until muscular endurance holds me back. It's rarely my heart or lungs telling me to stop when doing aerobic work.

Arien Malec
11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
That's pretty persuasive :-) I'm not sure I'd call it jogging if your HR is >170 though. Perhaps you've got the Dan John problem, and eschew medium...

Derek Weaver
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure if I just eschew medium, or don't know what it is. I'll think I'm going at a medium type of pace.... then I'm dry heaving and trying not to meet Pukie the Clown.

I was the epitomy of everything wrong with Crossfit. Now I'm just a little bit dumb.

Derek Weaver
11-19-2010, 08:07 AM
11/15/2010 Max Strength PHase 3 week 2 Lower 2
A) Speed Squat 8 x 2 @ 185
B1) Rack Pull 3 x 5, 1 x 7 @ 315, 335, 360, 315
B2) Wall Ankle Mob 3 x 8/side
C) DB reverse lunge 3 x 5 @ 50
D1) Cable Wood Chop 3 x 10
D2) BSS EQI 2 x 30s/side

Notes:
- Looks like I didn't overdo it so much on my run/jog/powerwalk. Nothing mind blowing here, but this is a "medium training stress" week as scheduled in the program. Never had to take anything off of the effort

11/16/2010 Thursday max Strength Phase 3 Week 2 Upper 2
A) Speed Pin Press 8 x 2 @ 185, 2 x 2 @ 225
B1) Seated Cable Row 3 x 5, 1 x 7 @ 150, 170, 170, 140
B2) DB Push Press 3 x 5, 1 x 7 @ 60, 60, 60, 50
C1) Straight Arm Pull down 3 x 12 @ 60
C2) Ext Rotation (cable) 2 x 10 @ 20

Notes:
- Good workout. The one thing I have intentionally not followed for the most part is the percentages assigned. I go up until I feel like I'm not getting any faster and then start the speed work. I felt real fast @ 185, which is well above 60% of my 1rm

Derek Weaver
11-22-2010, 12:57 AM
11/21/2010 Sunday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 3 Lower 1
A1) Front Box Squat 4 x 3, 2 x 5 @ (225, 245, 265, 275-count it as PR) (225 x 2 x 5)
A2) 90/90 stretch 15s/side
B) Speed Deadlift 10 x 1 @ 225
C) Walking Lunge 3 x 7 @ 40, 1 x 10 @ 30
D1) Dragon Flag 3 x 12
D2) Side Bend 3 x 10 @ 70

Notes:
- Set up a bench as the box tonight. Hip crease was equal to parallel. I usually lose a ton of weight with back squats done to a box, but tonight I was on fire. 1rm should be close to 300 lbs on front box squats. I usually get pretty deep on front squats, so I guess the reduced range of motion makes sense. I'll take the PR though.
- Didn't push it too much on the lunges etc. After the box squats and speed pulls I was a little unstable and decided to just get the reps in.
- Car broke down while waiting to give my Dad a lift from the airport. That sucked. 90 minute round trip ended up over 3 hours. This has nothing to do with training.

Allen Yeh
11-22-2010, 05:00 AM
- Car broke down while waiting to give my Dad a lift from the airport. That sucked. 90 minute round trip ended up over 3 hours. This has nothing to do with training.

Car problems always make for an awesome time. I hope it wasn't too pricey of a fix!

Derek Simonds
11-22-2010, 05:47 AM
A) Car problems suck
B) Holee Crap your FS was awesome!

Derek Weaver
11-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Car problems always make for an awesome time. I hope it wasn't too pricey of a fix!

Don't really know what it was. Luckily, for me I guess, it was my Dad's car. I believe it's under warranty, so depending on what it was, it should be good. Not so lucky for my Dad though.

A) Car problems suck
B) Holee Crap your FS was awesome!

A) True
B) Thanks. I had as much pressure in my head as I can ever remember form a lift. The combination of bar across the shoulders, and in turn the throat a bit, plus the weight of the bar relative to my size and that it wasn't on my back.... head felt like it was going to explode.

Derek Weaver
11-24-2010, 12:03 AM
11/23/2010 Tuesday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 3 Upper 1
A) Low Incline DB BP 4 x 3, 2 x 5 (2x 90, 95, 95) (80, 80)
B1) Push Up 3 x 7, 1 x 10
B2) Cable Row 3 x 7, 1 x 10 ( 170, 180, 180) (140)
C) Face Pull 4 x 10 @ 80, 90 x 3 sets x 10 reps

30 minutes on that stair stepper thing. With the actual stairs that rotate around. HR @ 135 avg. That thing is ridiculously stupid.

Notes:
- Rowing strength is taking off. That's cool.
- Was pretty happy with the DB BPs on the low incline. I thought I may get 100s for a triple, but stopped @ 95.
- Making the cardio work 3x max this week. 30 minutes a pop. May get a little in tomorrow, but will likely get it Thursday before we leave for Thanksgiving in the South Bay, and again on Saturday, fairly light.
- Forgot my bands for the band push ups and pull aparts. Had to improvise and added a set on the face pulls.

Arien Malec
11-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Strong work. How's recovery with this program?

Derek Weaver
11-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks. Recovery is good. Actually upping the aerobic activity has had a positive impact.

Fluctuating training stress from high to medium to very high to low is a good thing for me too.

An issue I've had with both linear progression and 5/3/1 is the weekly increase in intensity. I don't think that as big of a deload is necessary if you fluctuate week to week. Just my opinion.

Derek Weaver
11-25-2010, 01:19 AM
11/24/2010 Wednesday Max Strength Phase 3 week 3 Lower 2
A) Speed Squat 10 x 2 @ 135 x 4 sets x 2 reps, 155 x 6 sets x 2 reps
B) Rack Pull 3 x 5 @ 365, 385, 405, 2 x 7 @ 315
B2) Ankle Mob 4 x 8/side
C) Reverse Lunge 3 x 5 @ 2 x 60 DBs, 2 x 7 @ 45 dbs
D1) Cable Wood Chop 3 x 10 @ 70
D2) BSS EQI 3 x 30 sec/side

Notes:
- Not the biggest deal PR, but that's the first time I've had 400 lbs in my hands ever. Lower back and hips are starting to feel much better and much stronger. A fairly easy fiver on this one.
- Kept the squats lighter and really forced myself to sit back in a PL squat. Noticed some stuff I hadn't logged and focused on hips and hammies. Speed was real good. Had more in me with regards to speed purposes, but I feel like I was real productive on the speed squats tonight.
- totally blown out tonight. Ready for Thanksgiving.

Have a Happy Holiday everyone.

Derek Weaver
11-27-2010, 06:41 PM
11/26/2010 Friday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 3 Upper 2
A) speed Pin Press 10 x 3 @ 185, 2 x 2 @ 225
B1) Cable Row 3 x 5, 2 x 7 @ 180 x 3 x 5, 150 x 2 x 7
B2) DB Push Press 3 x 7, 2 X 7 @ 65 x 3 x 5, 50 x 2 x 7
C1) Straight Arm Pull Down 3 x 12 @ 50
C2) Ext Rotation 3 x 10/side @ 20

Notes:
- Got mixed up looking at my log. Volume may have been off on the pin presses.
- 11 weeks in the books. Deload next week, hit it hard for 3 weeks, deload and test. Looking forward to it.
- Adjusted the Cardio this week as I felt like I was battling something. Seem to be good though. I figure on the heavy weight training weeks I may back off a touch, lighter weeks, add a session or two of light work aerobic work.

Derek Simonds
11-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Nicely done sir. I can't wait to see what you have accomplished when you test at the end of the year.

Derek Weaver
11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Derek. I actually wish that Front Box Squats had been one of the tested lifts in this program. Somehow, and I'm guessing it's a flexibility thing, I am at least as good of a front squatter than I am a back squatter.

I am definitely getting excited to finish the program, see just how much 1rm strength I've gained, and move on to some other stuff.

11/29/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 4 Lower 1
A) Front Squats 2 x 2 @ 275, 1 x 4 @ 223 + Seated 90/90 stretch 15s/side
B) Speed DLs- Omitted per the program Deload
C) Walking Lunge 2 x 7 @ 40, 1 x 10 @ 30
D1) Dragon Flag 3 x 12
D2) DB side bend 3 x 10

30 minute bike work.

Notes:
- Deloading came at the right time. Took the entire weekend off with a super busy Sunday.
- I'm actually considering some other stuff to do after this program that isn't PL centric. Ideas kicking around.
- Depending on schedule, I may have to combine upper/lower into a day per EC's 4 ways to stay on track article. I think I had to do this a couple weeks ago. I prefer to have to do this during a deload week.
- On deloads, my main goal is to go by feel and try and hit the same weight I hit the previous high stress week on at least one set of the main movement in the session. After that, I'll back the weights off depending on feel, and let the reduction in volume take care of the rest of the deload.
- Light aerobic work like bike riding, stairs at a slow pace etc. really seems to limit the next day soreness.

Derek Weaver
11-30-2010, 11:46 PM
11/30/2010 Tuesday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 4 Upper 1
A) Low Incline DB BP 2 x 2 @ 95, 1 x 4 @ 80
B1) Feet Elevated Push up 3 x 10
B2) Seated Cable Row 2 x 7 @ 180, 1 x 10 @ 140
C1) Face Pull 4 x 10 @ 90

Rowed a 5k in 25.58.
Notes:
- Ahhh, forgot my band again. Having a hard time focusing before my workouts. this has carried over a couple of times to the beginning of my workout

Derek Weaver
12-03-2010, 05:09 PM
12/2/2010 Thursday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 3 Lower 2
A) Speed Squat 5 x 2 up to 185
B1) Rack Pull from Knee Caps 2 x 5 @ 405, 410, 1 x 7 @ 315
B2) Wall Ankle Mob 3 x 8/side
C) Reverse Lunge 2 x 5, 1 x 7 @ 2 x 50, 2 x 40
D1) Wood Chop Omitted per Deload
D2) BSS Iso Hold 1 x 60/side. Actually wrote down 5 x 30s for some reason, which I knew wasn't anywhere close to accurate. So, I went with a 60 sec. shut down and quit.

No aerobic stuff. Wasn't feel that great during warm ups, hit a PR- during deload week, again on the rack pulls and quit while I was ahead.

Notes:
- Looking forward to the final phase. Got some numbers in mind I wouldn't mind hitting during the final testing day.
- My gym is closing down, to make way for a new one on the other part of town. This one will have 51,000 + square feet of space, sauna, steam room, indoor pool, towel service etc. For the same cost as the current facility.

Derek Weaver
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
12/3/2010 Friday Max Strength Phase 3 Week 4 Upper 2
A) Speed Pin Press 5 x 3 @ 155
B1) Seated Row 2 x 5 @ 180, 1 x 7 @ 150
B2) DB Push Press 2 x 5 @ 65, 1 x 7 @ 55
C) Straight Arm Pull down 3 x 12 @ 50

30 minutes on bike average HR @ 147

Notes:
- Feeling better today. Kept the speed presses lighter and really got good pop off the pins. Speed work has been something I've mentioned earlier in that i auto-reg these movements a bit more. If the program has called for 65% and I feel slow, I won't go that high. If it calls for 50% and I feel explosive, I'll push it higher.
- Feeling pretty pumped up and ready to go starting what I think will be Sunday for a huge final 3 weeks before testing in week 4. My current strategy for the lifts will be something like to open at 10-15 lbs lighter than my max from "moving day" or "packing day" or whatever it's called. No use in bombing out on my first attempt.
- It's on.

Arien Malec
12-04-2010, 08:17 AM
- Feeling pretty pumped up and ready to go starting what I think will be Sunday for a huge final 3 weeks before testing in week 4. My current strategy for the lifts will be something like to open at 10-15 lbs lighter than my max from "moving day" or "packing day" or whatever it's called. No use in bombing out on my first attempt.
- It's on.

Awesome - have fun!

Derek Weaver
12-05-2010, 05:15 PM
12/5/2010 Sunday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 1 Lower 1
A) Anderson Front Squat from the Pins 7x 1 @ >90% (225, 245 x 6 x 1)
B) Speed Pull 8 x 1 @ 275
C) Barbell Rev. Lunge 4 x 8/side @ 115
D) Pallof Press 3 x 8 @ 60, 80, 80

30 minutes on treadmill, powerwalk for HR @ 130 average

Notes:
- This was a tough one. The Reverse Lunges felt really light though after the heavy singles and speed work.
- Good start. 9 more tough workouts, a few easy ones and it's go time. My schedule may be a little goofy as my Dad's got a big birthday coming up next week, and the festivities may force workouts to be out of whack and/or combined. No biggie though, medium stress week, and my Dad's birthday stuff is more important. I'll still set some good PRs I think, even if I had to test tomorrow.

Arien Malec
12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Strong work. I need to do some dead stop front squats.

Family comes first, of course, but party days can be good times to lift big and eat big :-) Enjoy the festivities.

Derek Simonds
12-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Notes:
- This was a tough one. The Reverse Lunges felt really light though after the heavy singles and speed work.
- Good start. 9 more tough workouts, a few easy ones and it's go time. My schedule may be a little goofy as my Dad's got a big birthday coming up next week, and the festivities may force workouts to be out of whack and/or combined. No biggie though, medium stress week, and my Dad's birthday stuff is more important. I'll still set some good PRs I think, even if I had to test tomorrow.

Sounds like a lot of good stuff.

Derek Weaver
12-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, it's a good workout thus far. I don't really tend to do a lot of singles work, and if I do, it's rarely followed by any sort of high(er) rep assistance stuff. At least for the lower body.

As for yesterday:
12/6/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 1 Upper 1
A) Close Grip Incline Bench 7 x 1 @ 205, meh
B1) Close Grip bench (subbed decline for reasons below) 4 x 8 @ 185
B2) Seated Row (Chest Support Row Unavailable) 4 x 8 @ 160
C1) Scap Wall Slide 3 x 12
C2) Hammer Curlzzzz 3 x 12 @ 30

Notes:
- The inclines are a little touchy on my shoulders to begin with. Going close grip makes it a little intimidating. Copped out a little
- Declines are also a little dodgy. If I do either with dumbbells it's fine, but incline and decline with barbells gets screwy.
- the weight on the assistance stuff wasn't heavy, it was just fatiguing.

Arien Malec
12-07-2010, 01:20 PM
A) Close Grip Incline Bench 7 x 1 @ 205, meh

Do you have an ME press test coming up? With that incline, you should be able to pull out a nice press...

Derek Weaver
12-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Nah, no max overhead test. EC isn't real big on overhead pressing. This may be his own bias due to his past as an overhead athlete (tennis).

Baseball players, tennis, volleyball etc seem to get a lot less, if any, overhead work and even more work on the external rotators.

Arien Malec
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Yep, he seems to believe that what messes up baseball players messes up everyone. For me, overhead pressing solved all my shoulder problems.

Derek Weaver
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, it seems most people sitting at a desk can stand to do more horizontal work in lieu of vertical work. Having one shoulder already scoped ~7.5 years ago, and the other being a tad "loose" on occasion, I am finding I prefer the horizontal work a bit with less vertical work. It's a case by case thing though.

The idea that guys like EC, Gentilcore (fits since they're co-owners of CP), Robertson etc. have is that we spend so much time hunched at keyboards that a fair number of shoulders are already internally rotated and a bit out of alignment.

More scapular retraction to offset this, in addition to lower to moderate pushing work (in what seems to be most of their program recommendations) with something like a 3:2 pull to push ratio, or even 2:1 is the first step. So few people bother to stretch, or to look at their stretching in terms of a hierarchy of needs.

Arien Malec
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Horizontal work = rowing, not benching, I presume. Benching not so good for internal rotation. Dunno, oly lifters, particularly the old school ones who pressed, have massive backs, and most don't incorporate tons of rowing.

Derek Weaver
12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Most also weren't stuck at desks all day.

And yes, more horizontal work does, for the most part, mean more rowing. I have been feeling surprisingly good with more benching and little overhead work per this program. But I've also been doing a ton of rowing, push ups and scap stabilization stuff.

Derek Weaver
12-09-2010, 12:04 AM
12/8/2010 Wednesday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 1 Lower 2
A) Speed box squat 10 x 2 @ 185
B) Natural GHR 4 x 5
C) DB Lunge 3 x 6 @ 50
D1) Pistol to Box 3 x 10/leg
D2) Barbell Rollout 3 x 12 @ 135

30 minutes on treadmill with heart rate in the 135 range
Notes:
- Horrible sleep last night. Surprised I felt as good during the workout as I did.
- Just counting down the days. Definitely looking to auto reg some stuff post program and work on not lifting 4 days/week. I have enjoyed this, but aside from the first deload week where I did my own thing after sleeping something like 16 hours straight (this probably kept me from getting sick and bailing out) and combining I think just one workout with another due to travel I've been pretty on it.

Allen Yeh
12-09-2010, 04:28 AM
- Just counting down the days.

Heh, me too....just for something else.

Not sure what my workout situation is going to be for the next few weeks so this past week I ditched the 5/3/1 stuff and started the EC off season for regular guy program. 5/3/1 was just too discouraging lately, even after I cut my weights down by 10% I was still sucking! I know my weight is down a little since but it hasn't dropped THAT much. For example....my last DL day I got 10 for 280 but earlier this year I did 280 for 16. Sucks.

I'm going to try to view it like this:
I'll workout when I can....if not there is always BW stuff and mobility stuff.

Kevin Perry
12-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Heh, me too....just for something else.

Not sure what my workout situation is going to be for the next few weeks so this past week I ditched the 5/3/1 stuff and started the EC off season for regular guy program. 5/3/1 was just too discouraging lately, even after I cut my weights down by 10% I was still sucking! I know my weight is down a little since but it hasn't dropped THAT much. For example....my last DL day I got 10 for 280 but earlier this year I did 280 for 16. Sucks.

I'm going to try to view it like this:
I'll workout when I can....if not there is always BW stuff and mobility stuff.

This is turning into my situation

Derek Weaver
12-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I would say that one reason I'm getting ready to not be committed to the gym 4+days/week is that I want a little flexibility back. I also want to see if I'm actually any smarter than before, and can hold myself in check to not sacrifice whatever gains I've made while pushing other fitness qualities. Thinking a Tough Mudder would be cool, and a cool cause. Not sure if I can get my drunkard friends to participate with me though.

12/9/2010 Thursday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 1 Upper 2
A) Speed bench 10 x 3 @ 155- explosive
B1) Close grip floor press 4 x 5 @ 205, 2 x 7 @ 185
B2) Neutral Grip pull ups 4 x 5 @ bodyweight. held for a beat at the top to raise difficulty. Didn't feel like walking a dumbbell over to where I was working. Lazy
C1) 1 Arm DB Row 3 x 10 @ 75 lbs
C2) CG Push up 3 x 10

30 minutes on the treadmill, average HR again ~135.
Notes:
- Close grip variations are tough.
- It's odd to me that I am less comfortable doing floor presses than I am doing regular benches, close grip or not.
- I'm concerned enough with ramming my elbows into the floor that I end up going a ton slower on the eccentric portion of the rep and gas out quickly.

Derek Weaver
12-15-2010, 03:16 AM
As I write this it is 3:11 am and I'm not done working for the day. I must have written 10,000+ words today. Been taking breaks to pop into the forum, but realized I hadn't updated my training log. I've still got a while to go, so this is a work break if you will.

12/12/2010 Sunday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 2 Lower 1
A) Anderson Front Squat from Pins 5 x 1 @ 225, 245, 245, 225, 225 (tweaked left biceps somehow, dropped the weight to be safe)
B) Speed DL 8 x 1 @ 275
C) BB Rev. Lunge 3 x 8/side @ 115
D) Pallof Press 3 x 8 @ 80

Notes:
- Arm felt fine after a few minutes, but it hurt a lot at first.
-I'll be happy next week to pull sumo instead of do the Anderson FS.

12/13/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 2 Upper 1
A) Close Grip Incline BB 5 x 1 @ 210
B1) Close Grip BB 3 x 8 @ 190
B2) Cable Row sub for Chest Sup. Row 3 x 8 @ 170
C1) Scap Wall Slide 3 x 12
C2) HAMMAR CURLZZ 3 x 12 @ 30

Notes:
- Got a little more weight this week. I really don't care for close grip incline work though.

Derek Weaver
12-18-2010, 12:24 AM
12/15/2010 Wednesday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 2 Lower 2
A) Speed Squat 8 x 2 @ 185
B) Natural GHR 3 x 5
C) Forward Lunge 3 x 5/side @ 45
D1) Pistol to box 3 x 12
D2) Barbell Roll out 3x12 @ 135

Notes:
- Not a bad day. See more below on sleeping patterns (or lack thereof) and how things transfer to the weight room

12/17/2010 Friday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 2 Upper 2
A) Speed Bench 8 x 3 @ 155, 2 x 2 @ 225, 235
B1) Close Grip Floor Press 3 x 5, 1x 7 ( 205, 215, 215) (185)
B2) Neutral Grip Pull up 3 x 5 @ bw + 35 lbs (decided to lug the DB over today and not be lazy)
C1) 1 Arm DB Row 2 x 10 @ 75
C2) Close Grip Push Up 2 x 10

Notes:
- Working out at night, raining around here, staying in.

On sleep:
I'm sure most have heard of methods to hack or chunk or whatever it's called. Basically, take several naps in the day, sleep a few hours at night and get away with like 5 hours of total sleep in a 24 hour period. This is stupid. I haven't been doing this on purpose, but has been what's turned out as I've been super busy with stuff.

Workouts have been pretty good, and I am healthy, but I definitely lack focus. Have to figure out a better way to get to bed before 4 am, and sleep 7-8 hours if I can pull it off.

Derek Simonds
12-18-2010, 04:23 AM
On sleep:
I'm sure most have heard of methods to hack or chunk or whatever it's called. Basically, take several naps in the day, sleep a few hours at night and get away with like 5 hours of total sleep in a 24 hour period. This is stupid. I haven't been doing this on purpose, but has been what's turned out as I've been super busy with stuff.

Workouts have been pretty good, and I am healthy, but I definitely lack focus. Have to figure out a better way to get to bed before 4 am, and sleep 7-8 hours if I can pull it off.

I am miserable when I get less than 7 hours of sleep in a row. I can't imagine doing that for a long period of time.

Arien Malec
12-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Is it good busy?

And nice floor press. You are going to have a monster bench at the retest.

Kevin Perry
12-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Your kicken ass on the lifting man, I feel like a total slacker now haha.

Derek Weaver
12-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I am miserable when I get less than 7 hours of sleep in a row. I can't imagine doing that for a long period of time.

yeah, it's not that great. Managed to get myself around 7 night before last and it was good. This is a really funky schedule though.

Is it good busy?

And nice floor press. You are going to have a monster bench at the retest.

Yes, for the most part, it's good busy. Been really productive, but I may need to hire a virtual assistant when the cash flow is normalized. I'm not kidding.

thanks on the press. Close grip stuff takes a solid 20-30 pounds off of my normal grip movements. I am planning on opening at 235 on the retest to ensure I hit a rep. That's a few pounds less than the first test. I'd like to clock in at the ~270 range. At between 165-170 I'd take 100 lbs over BW and be happy.

Your kicken ass on the lifting man, I feel like a total slacker now haha.

Thanks. There have been a few punch the clock workouts lately. I need to join you and Derek in the 400 lb DL club before kickin' ass can be used.

Derek Simonds
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Based on your numbers you should be there on your 400 LB DL. You are way ahead of me on everything else for sure. I think I can hit 255-260 on Bench before the end of the year.

Let me know what day is moving day. I am pretty flexible when I test as well. It would be cool to hit the maxes the same day.

Derek Weaver
12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
It looks like it'll be on 12/30. That is the Thursday before NYE.

My tests will be: broad jump, box squat, bench press, deadlift, 3rm weighted chin up.

Arien Malec
12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes, for the most part, it's good busy. Been really productive, but I may need to hire a virtual assistant when the cash flow is normalized. I'm not kidding.

Awesome! What kind of work are you doing?

At between 165-170 I'd take 100 lbs over BW and be happy.

Indeed!

Derek Weaver
12-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Awesome! What kind of work are you doing?

Indeed!

For work, I'm actually doing some free SEO stuff for a couple of people I and my family know around here. They want their businesses to show up on the first page of google, and I enjoy doing it. Kind of resume building if you will. I have my own stuff, but the local business stuff looks like it may be the best long term opportunity if it works.

Derek Weaver
12-21-2010, 03:44 PM
12/19/2010 Sunday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 3 Lower 1
A) Sumo DL 9 x 1 @ 365 (good), 355 (failed 365), 335 (failed 355, not a good pattern), 315 x 4, f on 5, 315 conventional x 3 reps for 9 total. Bunch of stuff, see below
B) Speed DL 8 x 1 @ 225
C) Barbell Rev. Lunge 4 x 8/side @ 115
D) Pallof Press 3 x 8/side @ 80

Notes:
- Ugh. I felt real good on the first single pulling sumo. Then it went to hell. couldn't get the set up right after that, and figure I probably muscled up the first rep. It went up smooth and pretty easy, but after that... no good.
- Also, knees started to bug me, so I pulled the last couple of reps conventional.
- Speed DLs I backed the weight off this week.
- Tough, tough workout. Not the way I wanted to start this week.

12/20/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 3 Upper 1
A) CG INcline BP 9 x 1 @ 215
B1) CG BP 4 x 8 @ 190
B2) Cable Row 4 x 8 @ 180 x 1 x 8, 170 x 3 x 8
D1) Scap Wall Slide 3 x 12
D2) HAMMAR CURLZ 3 x 12 @ 35 x 2 x 12, 30 x 1 x 12

Notes:
- I messed this up. I was rushed for time and realized this was supposed to be board press or pin presses afterwards. No focus to start off. It's okay though as I am not weak in the lockout. I am weak off the chest. I'd rather not mess with board presses or pin presses since that's my strong point in the bench. Whoops.
- Dropped the weight on the rows to clean up the reps a bit. A little sloppy in the last two reps.

On a side note. My Dad's birthday was last week, and it was a big one. On Thursday, his actual B-day, we went to a steakhouse around here and he, myself and my Mom went nuclear. I ate so much I could barely move.

Last night, our very good friends of 20+ years met us at Morton's in San Jose. It was the three Weavers, and our friends' brood of 9. We. Went. Off. I thought I couldn't repeat what I did on Thursday, but I shattered that feat and set an epic eating and drinking PR. What was really cool was that we had a private room, and they know the staff very well there and had special menus printed celebrating my Dad's birthday.

I won't rehash everything I ate. I will note though, that our friend is a VIP with Morton's and has his own wine locker there. He broke it open and we drank 5 bottles of wine. There were only three of us drinking. Not my most impressive drinking feat in any way, but at a nice place on a Monday, I'll take it.

We don't often go out like this, but special occasions call for special measures. Not meant to be a bragging write up, but these last few days served as a good reminder of how blessed myself, my family and our friends have been.

Arien Malec
12-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Last night, our very good friends of 20+ years met us at Morton's in San Jose. It was the three Weavers, and our friends' brood of 9. We. Went. Off. I thought I couldn't repeat what I did on Thursday, but I shattered that feat and set an epic eating and drinking PR.

Steak and wine PRs are good occasionally. Good to hear you had a great time.

Derek Simonds
12-22-2010, 02:44 AM
I have many great stories about Morton's, Smith and Wolenskies or Ruth's Chris. Times like that make great memories. On a side note I don't seem to recall that many good stories about Golden Corral, hmm.... I wonder why.

Do you know what was bothering your knee on the SDL?

Derek Weaver
12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
First time I ever went to a Ruth's Chris was November of 2001 on Maui. I had been in the ocean all day with the kids of the other families we were there with, and a couple cousins who had come over from the other islands. After a full day of body surfing and skim boarding, that was the best meal I have ever been lucky enough to enjoy.

Monday was a close second.

On the sumo pulls, I figure it was a set up issue. I couldn't find a spot where I was comfortable after the first pull. I was pulling sumo a lot when I was first getting my hips functional again a few months back. Now I can't get set. If I got tension in my hamstrings, my back was bent over like in a conventional pull. If I got my back set, my hamstrings were off.

Oh well, no pulling next week until testing.

Derek Weaver
12-22-2010, 07:27 PM
12/22/2010 Wednesday Max Strength Phase 4 week 3 Lower 2
A) Speed Squat (no box or bench available for box squats) 12 x 2 @ 185
B) Nat GHR 4 x 5
C) Lunge 4 x 6/side @ 50
D1) Pistol to Box 3 x 10/side
D2) BB Rollout 3 x 12 @ 140 )used the 2.5 kg collars)

30 minutes on treadmill at HR between 145 and 160. HR a little on the high end at times.
Notes:
- That was painful. I can't wait to test and not have entire weeks of ass kickings.

Samuel Hughes
12-23-2010, 07:57 PM
It looks like it'll be on 12/30. That is the Thursday before NYE.

My tests will be: broad jump, box squat, bench press, deadlift, 3rm weighted chin up.

This is tempting... will you test all these on the same day?

Derek Weaver
12-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Yup, during pre testing it took around 90 minutes. I am guessing this time it may take longer.

12/23/2010 Thursday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 3 Upper 2
A) Speed Bench 10 x 3 @ 155- really speedy
B1) Close Grip Floor Press 4 x 5 @ 215, 2 x 7 @ 185
B2) Neutral Grip Pull Up 4 x 5 @ BW + 35 lbs
C1) 1 Arm DB Row 3 x 10 @ 75
C2) Push Up 3 x 10

Notes:
- Good workout tonight. Each speed day I've been going by feel. Sometimes I'll be pretty fast at heavier weights, others, lighter. Wherever I can get good speed and pop on the movement I'll stick at.
- Made a little improvement on the close grip floor presses. That was good.
- Think I may be fighting a cold again. I haven't actually gotten sick at all this year. Compared to the last two years where I got bronchitis both years, and ended up with a month long bout of pneumonia last year, I'll take "fighting a cold" any day.
- Officially done with the hard workouts. I think it's 3 super easy workouts next week... then testing.

Derek Simonds
12-24-2010, 05:48 AM
This is tempting... will you test all these on the same day?

I am in and will be testing: BS, Press, DL, Bench and max chin ups.

Samuel Hughes
12-24-2010, 12:47 PM

If I can work out a decent place to test, I'm in. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I'm back in Cville. I'd like to do BS, DL, Power Clean, Bench, and Press.

Kevin Perry
12-24-2010, 01:35 PM
I might be in too

Derek Simonds
12-25-2010, 08:56 AM
My wife said she was in as well. Normally I have at least a couple of other guys who would be in but I got one out of town and one down with bad reaction to a vasectomy... eeek. I am going to call Chile and see if he wants to come over and go for some PR's also.

Derek Weaver
12-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Cool. It's a max out party. Before it was a Pmenu TSC, now it's a Pmenu Moving Day.

Derek,
Tell your buddy I hope he feels better after the vasectomy. OUCH.

It seems when Derek and I get into a PR kind of mood it catches steam around here. That's awesome and something I think we can and should be proud of.

Hope everyone's Christmas is a Merry one.

Samuel Hughes
12-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Cool. It's a max out party. Before it was a Pmenu TSC, now it's a Pmenu Moving Day.

Derek,
Tell your buddy I hope he feels better after the vasectomy. OUCH.

It seems when Derek and I get into a PR kind of mood it catches steam around here. That's awesome and something I think we can and should be proud of.

Hope everyone's Christmas is a Merry one.

Yeah, I'm really working on finding a place to do it. I'm a little fired up to be honest, haha. Merry Christmas everyone!

Kevin Perry
12-25-2010, 03:37 PM

I'll test this too, I don't expect to hit as good numbers as I was a few months back because of lower BW but it will give an idea of where to focus on after

Derek Weaver
12-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Emile,
I'm pumped too. For me it's the culmination of 16 weeks. Having a specific start and end has been good for me.

Kevin,
Good to see you're in with us. Good way to end the year.

Derek,
Mrs. Simonds is in? Rad. It's hard enough to get most women to lift weights, let alone go for a max effort.

12/27/2010 Monday Max Strength Phase 4 Week 4 total body mash up
A) BB rev lunge (light ) 2 x 8 @ 95
B) Nat GHR 2 x 5
C1) CGBP 2 x 8 @ 185
C2) Seated Cable Row 2 x 8 @ 150
D1) Scap Wall Slide 2 x 12
D2) Hammer Curlz 2 x 12 @ 30

Notes:
- Wasn't feeling all that well yesterday. Whole family besides myself has been sick, and I've dodged it thus far. Feeling a little froggy yesterday had me skip it and hang out.
- forgot Pallof Presses. oh well
- I may get some light work in tomorrow, but it'll likely be a Yoga thing we've got OnDemand with our cable network. Flexibility and all.
- Wednesday I will squat and bench, and chin up to maybe 85% of what my openers will be on Thursday.
- For Squats that equals: ~ 250 (I'll open at 265 to get a lift on the board, then work with a goal of 330), Bench would be: 195-200., chins I don't know cause I don't know how much I weigh today.

Just to recap:
My broad jump was a pathetic 65", box squat @ 280, bench 245, deadlift was untested, 3rm chin was BW + 73.5lbs.

My goals on testing are whatever I get out of the broad jump, Box Squat to 330, Bench to 275, deadlift to finally hit 400, 3rm chin BW + 90 depending on what BW is on testing. I've put on at least 10 lbs I would guess.

If I come within ~10-15 lbs on most of these I will be okay and will have made pretty good progress.

Derek Weaver
12-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Testing Day 12/30/2010
Weighed in at 169 lbs this morning. I think that's 10 lbs up from a few months back.

A) Broad Jump 68" + 3 inches. meh
B) Box Squat made 335, plus 45 lbs. I credit part of this to being in a squat cage, but still 45 lbs is a good jump.
C) Bench 265. + 20 lbs. Came up without too much effort, but had a weak spotter since I had to grab random people. 275 is doable, but I'll still take the jump. Close to BW + 100 lbs is fine by me.
D) Deadlift..... oh boy. 365 was easy. Made the leap to 405 as I didn't want to tap the tank too much with an intermediate weight. Broke it off the ground but crapped out just before the knees. I am super weak on the bottom portion of every lift but the squat. No points for "broke it off the ground" and 365 goes down as the only made lift. BOOOOO.
E) 3rm Chin = BW (169) + 90 lbs. 16.5 lb jump.

Notes
- I saw the sun rise from my desk twice this week. One of them being today. I slept a few hours, and think this played a role with the deadlift. Psychologically I had a hard time getting into that lift. considering the somewhat recent troubles I've had with the deadlift, it makes sense.
- I made some good progress on this program. Got the majority of my squat strength back from a couple years back, my bench is good again, and my chins are good and strong with almost no chin or pull up work, and very little of it weighted.
- I ate a TON of carbs throughout and only put on 10 lbs, and not a lot of fat overall. I am officially calling a hearty BEWARE NSFW LANGUAGE ABOUT TO FOLLOW:
Bullshit on low carb, and near bullshit on paleo. I stay majority paleo by nature, but I noticed a few things with more carb sources. I didn't get fat overnight. I'm a little heftier, but nothing crazy. I still have sight of my abs. they're a bit blurry, but nothing crazy. Also, I don't really break out too much if I get all non paleo EXCEPT for milk. If my weight gets too high (lower 170s) I start to break out. Adding in some aerobic work brought me back down and I began clearing up again.

Whether I would recommend the Maximum Strength Program to someone... yup. Depending on their goals, I certainly would. Plenty of variety, and I am definitely more balanced than I was before. Hips are getting better between some soft tissue work, the programming, and the Mwod stuff.

I stopped following the 2 warm up routines as I began to find what worked best given on the workout. I made up for it at night with extra stretching, band work for prehab stuff etc.

Moving forward. Don't know. I may just lift 2 days a week for a little while with a 3rd day if I feel like it. Or dust off my kettlebells again. I really do like KBs.

I want to do some endurance work too. I am thinking of plotting some sort of a program and doing some shorter races, like 5k or 10k.

to be honest, I kind of want to do some stuff to show up CFE.

Arien Malec
12-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Nice work! Great PRs, and 405 has to be close.

But that excercise ADD voice is the devil. Kick him in the nuts.

Samuel Hughes
01-01-2011, 08:13 AM
What Arien said. You are strong, I bet you have 405, it just needs to be the right day.

Derek Simonds
01-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Agree with everyone. You got the 405. Give yourself a day or two and nail it so that is done then decide where your ADD is going to take you.

Derek Weaver
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Deadlifting on Wednesday, in which case I'll chase 405 again.

I figure for at least a little while I'll probably lift twice per week, with a third optional workout being thrown in (upper back stuff, and other weakspot training).

thanks for the pump up fellas.

Re: training ADD.
I'm actually at peace having actually completed a program from start to finish with one hitch at the beginning. I really just want to enjoy my workouts, feel better each day, work on flexibility and maybe move into some endurance or middle distance stuff.

I have nothing to compete in, my personal life is all over the map considering I've had a few planned moves that fell through, some job stuff workout and then not workout etc. Training is the point in the day that I can be alone with my thoughts, even in a crowded gym. I'm not really into mucking it up with any extra planning.

Today, Sunday 1/2/2010
Squat up to 275 x 2 x 2, 135 x 26- Yeah.... not sure why I did this.
Natural GHR 2 x 6 - hammies smoked. got about 3 per set unassisted. this is a pr of sorts

Bench up to 225 x 2 x 2, 135 x 12- still not sure why I did such a dramatic backoff set.
Low Incline DB Bench 2 x 8 @ 80
Seated Cable Row 4 x 8 @ 150
Pulls to Face 3 x 12
Zottman CURLZ 2 x 8 @ 25

Notes:
- Good work today. Squat light compared to 1rm box squat, but these were free squats and I just maxed out a few days ago. I felt pretty good.
- With the 2x/week, I'll try Sq-BP, then BP-DL with necessary assistance.
- Abs tonight.

Derek Weaver
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
1/3/2011 Monday
4 x 400 m repeats, medium intensity. Walk a lap w/ a HR + 140. Between warm ups, rest laps etc. total volume = ~ 3500m

Arien Malec
01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how you did GHRs after 135x26.

Samuel Hughes
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
As a member of the 400 club (self-mocking voice intended), I would not go after 400 again so soon unless you are really feeling it (in which case...nail that fucker). Just get some volume in around 350, keep squatting for a couple of weeks, build confidence, then try again in like a 3-4 weeks. Just my $.02. Any time I know I am close to a PR/goal of sorts and I miss it... this is my kind of approach and it has served me well. Good luck either way!

PS. like the 400m repeats, I should work them in some time. I bet I have lost a lot of running coordination.

Derek Weaver
01-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how you did GHRs after 135x26.

After the second set of Natty GHRs I sat there for a solid 5 minutes before deciding it a third wasn't happening. Really bad idea. reps that high with a load that low isn't really productive as far as I can tell.

As a member of the 400 club (self-mocking voice intended), I would not go after 400 again so soon unless you are really feeling it (in which case...nail that fucker). Just get some volume in around 350, keep squatting for a couple of weeks, build confidence, then try again in like a 3-4 weeks. Just my $.02. Any time I know I am close to a PR/goal of sorts and I miss it... this is my kind of approach and it has served me well. Good luck either way!

PS. like the 400m repeats, I should work them in some time. I bet I have lost a lot of running coordination.

Yeah, I was feeling pretty good and not realizing that even though i didn't feel spent, I am a little fatigued from the max effort session with five movements (broad jump being the one non-lift)

I'll wait a little while before going after 405.

Derek Weaver
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
1/5/2011 Thursday
Bench Press 2 x 2,3,5 205 , 2 x 5 @ 185
Deadlift 2 x 3 @ 315 RPE ~6
Pull ups 5+5 Chin ups x 2, supersetted with 3 x 12 Band Face Pulls

Notes:
- Meh. New gym opened up and old one closed down. Absolutely terrible tonight. No parking. Couldn't even get into the gym. Between New Year's resolutions and a terrible plan for the parking lot and this was a disaster. Drove home and had to dig out my equipment.
- Didn't realize just how unstable having a padded bench can be. Tough to set my back after working with an actual good bench lately.
- Hopefully if I go either later at night or earlier in the day I can get a parking spot.

Arien Malec
01-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Or just wait a month until 90% of folks quit. Sad but true.

Derek Weaver
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
True. There's a different one in Livermore that isn't likely to be so packed. It's farther away from me though.

Derek Weaver
01-06-2011, 06:19 PM
1/6/2010 Thursday
3 x 800 3' rest. Pace approx 8:00/MILE

Warm up with walking lunges, 400m light jog, cross over steps etc. Total warm up volume approx 1000m.
Cool down with out and backs approx 60m just above a power walk pace. Out = run backwards, back= run forwards. So I guess that = 120m/OUT+BACK combo. Done in 3 sets of 2 out and backs. Approx 720m in cool down.

Total volume = +/- 4220m