PDA

View Full Version : Derek's Garage Experiment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Derek Simonds
01-07-2011, 05:42 AM
This year is always interesting in commercial gyms. I will be training on the road next week so I will get to experience all of the resolutioners in their not so native environment.

Nice work on the repeats.

Derek Weaver
01-09-2011, 08:12 PM
First workout at the new gym. I'll post some pictures as a bit of a photo essay on what it's like.

1/9/2010 Sunday
A) Squat 135 x8, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5, 265 x 5, 2. 135 x 2 x 10 to work the groove a little
B) Bench 135 x 8, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, 185 x 7
C) Low Incline DB BP 85 x 3 x 7
D) Cable Row 4 x 8 @ 175 (feeling beastly on rows of all things)
E) Face Pull 3 x 12 @ 80, Low Face Pull 2 x 8 @ 80

Notes:
- Mash up workout.
- I smacked the side of the cage after the second rep @ 265 on squats and called the set.
- Forgot my belt and wrist wraps. They're a bit of a security blanket.

Derek Weaver
01-12-2011, 11:44 PM
1/10/2010 Monday
Warm up with 400 m jog, + ~400-500m of warm up drills (shuffles, cross overs, toes, heels etc.)
2 x 1600 meters run @ 8:00 pace. 800 m walk maintaining HR @ or > 125 between and after runs.

So, approx 800m as warm up, 3200m total + 1600m walking brings the workload to 5600m +/-.

Wednesday 1/12/2010
A) Bench 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5, 235 x 4 RPE 8.5
B) Pull Up x 10 + Chin Up x 10 without dropping down. + 7 pull ups as second set.
C) Hammer Iso Row 4 x 8 @ 160
D) Tricep Rope Press Down @ 130 x 4 x 12 + Face Pull 2 x 12 @ 90

Treadmill @ recovery pace for 30 minutes.

Arien Malec
01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
You doing autoregulation on the weight training?

Derek Weaver
01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, more or less. On the compound lifts I'm just looking for something in the 3-5 rep range with 1 or 2 reps in the tank. Focusing on form and trying to evaluate as best as I can, during the set, where I am at.

I figure I'll try and a-reg the stuff that can potentially blow my CNS out since I'm looking to get at least 3 runs of varying intensity and distance per week.

for the runs I'm hoping to get at a minimum of 1 lsd, 1 interval/repeat of 400-800m repeats, and either 1 recovery set up or a continuous high intensity of 15-20 minutes as conditioning improves.

Once a few benchmarks get ticked off I'll re evaluate and adjust and potentially lay out a little more specific plan.

I did a lot of cardiac output stuff during the Maximum Strength program, but it was on the EFX and the bike for the most part. My lower legs need to be conditioned to deal with the volume and the lactic acid build up of jogging and running.

Derek Weaver
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM
1/13/2010 Thursday
400m runs done at a moderate intensity looking for technique.

1200 meters total in warm up. Then: 8 x 400m with a walk around the track for one lap in between.

1200 + 3200 + 3200m in walking for a total of 7600m in volume. Whoa. Not anything catastrophic, but more than I anticipated. May pay for this later though.

I have seen the recommendation not to increase total volume by more than 10%/week. I may need to re evaluate even my previous post and try and plan for the next several weeks.

Derek Weaver
01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
http://olatn.tumblr.com/post/2670374969/want-to-get-fit-quickly

putting this link here about developing/re developing fitness levels quickly. Found it on the site linked in Andrew Wilson's sig line. I didn't want to lose the link and my bookmarks are packed with other stuff right now.

this is worth a link as well.
http://olatn.tumblr.com/post/2671442850/priority-no-1-for-middle-and-long-distance-runners

this too.
http://olatn.tumblr.com/post/2664555068/boosting-your-vo2-max

Samuel Hughes
01-14-2011, 07:11 AM
http://olatn.tumblr.com/post/2670374969/want-to-get-fit-quickly

putting this link here about developing/re developing fitness levels quickly. Found it on the site linked in Andrew Wilson's sig line. I didn't want to lose the link and my bookmarks are packed with other stuff right now.

this is worth a link as well.
http://olatn.tumblr.com/post/2671442850/priority-no-1-for-middle-and-long-distance-runners

this too.

Nice runs Derek! I really need to get on the track. I am pilfering these links as well.

Derek Simonds
01-16-2011, 12:36 PM
All three of those are good articles.

Derek Weaver
01-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, each one has resonated with me.

I think the idea of "chronic cardio" has been overblown. Just like the anti/low carb, paleo, and countless other health and fitness movements.

Being a marathoner may not be the best for health, but being able to run a 5k-10k whenever you want to is a good thing IMO.

I personally think once my low back (tweaked it again) and shin (a little shin splint from running last week) I am going to train with a 1500m in mind and set a progression off of that for increasing distance.

Basically, work towards a time goal at a given distance, then work towards the next distance. Hit that time goal and move along.

Why would I do that instead of just picking a distance, working at completing it and then work at completing it faster? Because I get bored and like to switch it up.

edit: BTW. Took the whole week off of training due to the hip/back and shin. gone for the weekend last weekend. Leaving at o'dark thirty tomorrow morning, coming back late Monday night, then possibly on the road again.

Arien Malec
01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I should do the same - nagging shoulder and hip issues. Rest up.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Pretty rested, but way out of sync from travel. Freaking busy too. 24 hour day last Thursday, 19 hours Monday.

Today 1/26/2011 Wednesday
First time doing anything other than mild stretching with the back and hip stuff happening... been 2 weeks

Power clean for a bunch of doubles at 135. First time doing these in a loooong time. Started getting pretty snappy after a while.
KB C&P 50 reps total with the 16kgs
GHR 2 x 5

Run following this from Andrew W's sig
Day 1
Run for 3 minutes as far as possible eg 800 metres. Rest 6 minutes and run the same distance at 80 per cent of the time eg 3mins 36 secs with 30 secs rest. Repeat many times.
Day 2
Run 10 second intervals with 20 second rests for 30 minutes. Attempt to cover more than 50 metres per run.
Day 3
Run for 90 percent of the time for the distance achieved on Day 1. In this example 800 metres in 3 mins 18 secs with 60 secs rest. Repeat many times as long as target time is achieved.
Day 4
Repeat Day 2
Day 5
Run the 3 minute distance in 85 per cent of the time. Example – 800m in 207 seconds with 45 seconds rest. Repeat as many times as possible.
Day 6
Repeat Day 2
Day 7
Rest
After one month of repeating the Astrand weekly cycle, it will be necessary to do a 3 minute maximum effort run again to determine whether there is a major improvement and also to amend the training distance. For example a distance of 1000 metres may be run in 3 minutes and this distance will be a constant throughout the month.
It is not necessary on Day 1 to do the initial maximum 3 minute run again, this is done only once to determine the training distance.

distance = 620 meters. Only got through 3 before I had to call it quits. Ankles and lower legs started taking a beating.

I'll go through the first couple of days this week and then I guess start over on Monday according to the normal schedule. Not optimal but I wanted to do something and it won't kill me either.

I think I'm going to try and train for something like a 5 minute mile for a couple reasons. It's not that far, even though it's hard. Mile runners may not be as physically imposing as a decathlete or a thrower, but whatever, they're not scrawny marathoners either. running through an airport is something that can definitely benefit from a good mile run time.

Arien Malec
01-26-2011, 08:53 PM
running through an airport is something that can definitely benefit from a good mile run time.

800 m more like, in my experience. If you have to run a mile, you've already missed the plan. I've had many an 800m sprint to catch a plane, though.

Travel and long work days mess up the training schedule something awful. Glad to see you getting back in the swing of things.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I figure having the endurance for something a bit longer is a good way to cover it.

Agreed that if you're running more than 800m, you're likely screwed.

Unless you are at DFW running from gate to tram to gate. Or at Detroit Metro which is just a stupid ass plan for an airport. Especially when you get stranded there for like 7 hours between missed connections and delayed flights.

I hate Detroit.

Derek Weaver
01-27-2011, 06:17 PM
1/27/2011 Thursday
Run 30 minutes @ 10 sec on, 20 sec off, but not like CF "Tabata".

No idea how many meters I covered tonight. Definitely in the range of 3000 I think though.

Funny how the easier I made my stride, the more ground I covered. Calves and ankles better today. Knees took a pounding when I screwed up my stride a bit.

Years ago before I started sitting at a desk for most of the day, I didn't have to think about this kind of stuff. I'm still just 27 too... better get this stuff squared away and relearn how to run.

Derek Simonds
01-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Funny about Detroit I spent a lot of time there in the last couple of days.

Derek Weaver
01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
The airport is actually pretty nice, but it sucks sprinting from one terminal to the next to get on a very small, plane that had to be de-iced three times before going to Toronto.

Including the looooong layover due to a missed connection.

Arien Malec
01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
De-icing is just evil. Well, better than having the plane crash.

Derek Weaver
01-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah. Considering the alternative, it's alright with me. Was frustrating because the delays were so bad that they would de-ice it, then get delayed again.... and it would ice up again.

It was like the airport/airline version of who's on first with all the starting, stopping, de-icing etc.

1/29/2011 Saturday
Had planned a repeat of the other day with the 620m repeats, but it wasn't happening. Had a few beers last night, slept a whole lot (finally think I paid off the sleep debt from the travel) and just wasn't it.

Got 4 x 400m in 90sec. with as much rest as needed to get the HR back to 120.

Total volume ended up approx 3600m including warm ups and cool downs.

Not a bad day, but the shins started getting a little touchy. Lift tomorrow if I feel like it, get back on the track Monday. Hopefully.

Derek Weaver
01-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Way fatigued from being hungover yesterday morning, being out late nursing a single beer, then driving back across the East Bay and getting home @ 3:00am. couldn't sleep even though i was tired.

May lift later on. If not, tomorrow.

Dealing with some shin splints. The longer I run in one tempo/interval, the more I get the splints.

May have to re evaluate and reprogram accordingly on the distance I will focus on. Thinking 400m time goal. Then once I tick that off, set an 800m goal and train accordingly. Eventually move onto 1600m or more. Over time, longer distances are runs that have a greater chance of improvement anyway. Plus, the mileage required is good from a CV standpoint and the training is fun.

Still kicking things around, and once my shins stop hurting I may get back on the 1600m bandwagon. It's early yet, and can't blame this on training ADD. Just want to stay healthy, have my heart not explode, be able to run around in case something goes horribly wrong and I wind up with a kid before I'm 40.

Arien Malec
01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
in case something goes horribly wrong and I wind up with a kid before I'm 40.

It's not the end of the world :-) (my first was when I was 26)

Derek Weaver
01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
It's not the end of the world :-) (my first was when I was 26)

Yeah, mankind has gotten this far by being resilient through disasters. The Weaver men have a long history of holding off on fatherhood until the mid thirties to mid forties. I don't see myself breaking that pattern anytime soon.

Training:
1/31/2011 Monday
6 x 600m @ 3:36 with 45 sec rest.

Made it 600m instead of 620 simply because I would lose my place on the track.

Changed things a bit to compensate for my fitness (or lack thereof) level. Extended rests to 45 seconds with the goal of cutting it down to the actual 30 seconds.

No shin problems today, although I am not 100% healed.

I easily could have gotten 10+ today. That would have been cool. I usually had ~70 sec cushion making the rests much better.

Only had to quit because my left calf was acting up a bit, and I began to get a little raw on the arch on my right foot.

Things were clicking today. Lift tomorrow I think.

Derek Simonds
02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Ha on the kids thing. I waited until I was 30 for our first. I do agree with Arien it definitely isn't the end of the world it will just feel like it for the first 3-5 months... :D Seriously being a dad is the single biggest joy I have in the entire world.

Sounds like your training has been fun lately. I have tried to run a couple of times in the last 10 days and only got one session in. Got to get committed.

Derek Weaver
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Kids scare the crap out of me. I like 'em and all, but I really like it when they go away. For now, I'm good being the cool cousin.

Training has indeed been fun. Been a little less often as I would like so that I don't blow my shins out or blister up my feet too bad. Looking to push the frequency a bit more often. Would ideally like to push the total mileage to 20+/week. Edit: thats over time. Not like i am going to log 25 miles or anything a week from now. Endorphin high for the win.

2/2/2011 Wednesday
Did yesterday's workout today.
10 sec on/20 sec rest (walk) for 30 minutes. Shins and all felt good except on the deceleration a few times.

I had my heart rate monitor on and found that once I was into my session about 10 minutes, my heart rate got no higher than 170 BPM, and would inch down closer to 155 or so within the 20 sec. Midway through, I was covering more ground per run, so long as I stayed smooth. If I pushed it too hard, it was worse, the HR got higher and I would break down on my mechanics.

This is not a Tabata workout anywhere near the CF sense. Or even HIIT. It is a lot of fun though.

Derek Weaver
02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Another good link from Andrew's blog. Not sure if I actually put this one in here yet, but here it is on boosting Vo2 Max.

Derek Weaver
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
2/3/2011 Thursday
4 x 600m in 3:18 or less w/ 60 sec rest

Cramped up big time, left oblique. Wouldn't have gotten through 200m on the 5th.

Did some suuuuuuper light squatting for the first time in a few weeks. A bunch of doubles @ 185 to remember what it's like to have a bar on my back. Felt light and snappy which was a surprise since this was after running.

GHR 2 x 8
Pull up + Push up 3 x 10
TRX Jack Knife 3 x 12

Notes:
- oddly enough, my shins didn't bother me until my cool down.
- Cool stuff today, took my heart rate sitting down, after a couple cups of coffee and it was 56 bpm. Not bad. guessing this is whatever base I built during the Max Strength phase when I was getting up to an hour 3-5 days/week on the bike or treadmill as well as some of the work I've done in the last month or so. Even with the interruptions in training I've done more aerobic in the last 20 weeks than I had likely done in the last 200.

Interested to see where my heart rate gets to once I am actually aerobically fit. Hopefully not too low. No death by marathon for me.

Derek Simonds
02-04-2011, 05:46 AM
56 BPM is very impressive. I would be happy anything under 80 with caffeine.

Arien Malec
02-04-2011, 08:50 AM
No kidding. I have a friend who bikes long distance up steep hills multiple times weekly. He's triggered emergency situations in health care settings when his HR drops to absurdly low levels.

Derek Weaver
02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks to both of you. I drink a lot of coffee since I am still doing some kinda odd hours and sleep patterns. One or two cups is just enough to hedge against a headache, but doesn't seem to have much of an effect past that. When I sleep at a normal time for a normal amount, my HR is pretty low.

What's odd is that my endurance still sucks for running. Heart is getting pretty efficient, but I am still not really ready to handle the lactic acid and impact I guess.

Rest day today. Shins are oddly sore. Like I posted yesterday, felt fine running, except for the cramp in my side. Then, on the walk back to my truck, my shins got sore. Ice and rest and I'll reevaluate tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Got out and ran today. Shins felt pretty good, but I kept it low key.

Walked a mile, ran ~600 meters. Did about 400 meters worth of skips, sprint starts, and other work.

Then just ran 2 x 600m. Shins started to talk to me a little, so I called it quits while I was still ahead. Also, started getting a cramp in my left foot.

I think I'll have to re-evaluate my running distances and maybe do this barefoot or in vibramz in the grass. Force myself to go slow, get my feet and calves/ankles ready and spare my shins for a while.

I'll get there with this stuff. I enjoy running after the first 15 minutes or so. In the past though, I just focused on that dreadful first 15 and bitched about how much I hated it.

Weights:
Turned into a simple upper body day because of curlz in the squat rack. This gym sucks.
Anyway:
Low Incline DB BP 3 x 10, 10, 8 @ 80
Neutral Grip Chins 2 x 10
Hammer Iso Row Machine 4 x 10 @ 130
Face Pull + Rope Press Down 2 to positive failure, in the range of 15 reps or so.

Hollow rocks x 100

Notes:
- Got the blood flowing. Since I haven't lifted much in a long while now this was fine. Thinking of using some sort of linear periodization (not linear progression a la SS) scheme. Not sure yet when it comes to the weights.
- Day could have been better, definitely could have been a whole lot worse.
- Had a few breaks to rip into the Metabolic Conditioning thread a few times, and got my workout in. Looks like I may see the sun come up tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
2/11/2011 Friday
Got the Vibramz out and wonder why I didn't do this earlier.
400m walk, 400m run (kind of a pitter pat pace)
10 x 50-60m run outs, skips etc.

400m x 4 @ maybe 75% of what I could usually run a 400m in. Didn't time it but I would guess in the 90-120 sec range. Just a guess though. Could have been slower.
walked 400m in between. Total volume in the range of 4500-4600m I think, including warm ups and walking.

4 sets of chins and pull ups alternating between sets x 10 reps
2 x 12 tempo push ups, failed on the third set. Muscular endurance sucks for the upper body.

Notes:
- last couple of days, I've been doing more HLRs and dead bug variations. Seem to help the back pain.
- Even though I've got reasonably strong abs, I think that throughout the day, as posture and all breaks down they may be "turning off"/deactivating. Working them with frequency may be the key. I don't know though, so we'll see if I have more back issues even with the extra work.

Derek Weaver
02-12-2011, 06:55 PM
2/12/2011 Saturday
got the vibramz going again.

walked a mile, ran 400m, did another 400m lap doing warm ups drills- cross over steps, skips etc.
another 400m doing run outs real easy.
then 8 x 200m w/ 200m walk between. 800m walk for cool down with some HLRs between laps

Total volume including walk, warm up cool down etc. = ~6800m, I think. Correct my math if I'm wrong. I was supposed to be a history teacher, not math. Only about 1600m with any sort of intensity, and that was never more than maybe a 7 out of 10 on a subjective scale. Heart rate got up and got a sweat going. I'll call today a a success.

Notes:
- this was more conditioning my calves and ankles. I'll stick to the vibramz for as many workouts as I need, even getting on the grass until the shins stop hurting. Didn't hurt at all today until the last two intervals.
- Feet feel tired today. Hopefully my long term performance will be improved by finally throttling down and taking the barefoot baby steps. Again.
- It feels like I just went through these realizations over the summer. Maybe because I did, and I idiotically forgot, then ignored the need to fix my stride and work into things intelligently.

Arien Malec
02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Sprinting in teh vibramz feels sooooo good.

Derek Weaver
02-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Doing anything in the Vibramz is nice. People crack on them all the time because they look ridiculous, but I think they are life savers.

Got a little antsy today and decided to get a real light lift in, planned this for tomorrow

2/13/2011 Sunday
Power Clean light reps at 135. something like 10-15 total.
Light Squats @ 185 x 3 x 5
BTN Press @ 95 x 5
Push Press @ 95 x 2 x 5
Chins 3 x 12 + Push ups tempo style, but not done for series x 3 x 12

Notes:
- Press stuff was an experiment. I feel the need to open up my shoulders a bit. The benching and rowing has felt nice, but I have noticed that I am getting tighter up top. Light push presses to see how my shoulder felt. Didn't feel that great a little while back with the KBs, but doing a few BTN Presses in the warm up and then a weighted set and I felt surprisingly good.
- Still considering messing around with linear periodization (not SS linear progression). Not sure though. Still need to get the shins healthy, loosen up some tight spots and figure out what'll be good and fun.
- May toss the bench for a while and focus on push up variations for horizontal pressing. Just stuff to kick around for a while.

Arien Malec
02-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Re: overhead pressing, came across an article recently on keeping your external rotators up and keeping pressing volume low. Tried to find it again, but no luck.

Derek Weaver
02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Makes sense. I think that part of what causes problems going overhead is a combination of failing to (using the RKC term, or close to it) put your shoulder blades in your pocket, poor flexibility, and past shoulder issues that are unresolved.

Add in that most people don't pay mind to their external rotators and likely don't address thoracic mobility, shoulders rolling forward from sitting at a desk all day (ties in with external rotators) etc. and it's a recipe for disaster.

Actually, the second set of problems is probably worse.

Arien Malec
02-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Mmm. Pain ball. The mobility wods on thoracic mobility are awesome. I particularly like the single pain ball along the rib/spine interface to break up adhesions and increase scapular mobility. The double pain ball is good as well.

Derek Weaver
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Pain ball indeed. I prefer the single pain ball along the rib, along the scapula as well.

Training:
2/14/2011 Monday
Ran, ended up with close to 2400m in warm ups and running. Stupidly tested out the track again and aggravated the shins.
Took off for the field, and did really well. Ran around the field out there twice for what i would guess is another 2500-3000m or so.

Tomorrow, if I feel good, I'll stick only to the grass. It may be a little muddy. Gonna rain out here.

Derek Simonds
02-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Mmm. Pain ball. The mobility wods on thoracic mobility are awesome. I particularly like the single pain ball along the rib/spine interface to break up adhesions and increase scapular mobility. The double pain ball is good as well.

I almost cried the first time I did that one. I guess that means I should be doing it more often. Derek your workouts are looking good.

Derek Weaver
02-17-2011, 09:17 PM
2/17/2011 Thursday
approx 70 minute Fartlek run. Had some 1000m runs I was going to do, except the track was flooded. Pretty stormy the last day or two.

Shins held up. got ice on them now. Crossing fingers that I'll get out again tomorrow.

Arien Malec
02-17-2011, 09:28 PM
It's an odd world when DC has nicer weather than here...

Derek Weaver
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah, it was mid to high 70s a couple days last week. Then the last two days or so we get hit with a near monsoon.

Derek Simonds
02-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Just got home to sunny central FL and am so happy to be somewhere with out snow! You guys enjoy the good weather.

Derek Weaver
02-20-2011, 02:50 AM
Weather's still nasty out here. Face got numb today when I was running

Wicked case of insomina going right now. So I'm updating my training log at 2:44am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning.

2/19/2011 Saturday
2000m warm up jog
12 x 100m hill sprints at an intensity = kind of hard

Notes:
- Need to figure out some sort of a consistent plan for each week. I'm doing okay and definitely noticing that it's been easier to warm up, but I need to figure out if it's worth it to go back to one of the get fit quick templates I was working on until my shins went haywire or if I can or should move into something else.
- I guess I'll attempt some sort of an evaluation soon
- Good friend just had a baby boy. Spent part of the day out there seeing the family and the new addition. Way cool. He was born with a full head of hair and it looks like it's already been cut/styled, or whatever guys do with their hair. I keep my head buzzed. Of course, he's 2 days old, so no haircuts yet, but it's still kinda funny to see him with hair that a kid may have at 3 or 4, or 14.

Derek Weaver
02-21-2011, 06:02 PM
2/21/2011
1600m jog + approx 800m warm up drills (skips, hops, cradle walks, butt kicks etc.) + 8 x 60m run outs

4 x 100m, 4 x 200m, 4 x 100m

Didn't time anything, was just focusing on pacing and getting an idea for where I was at with regards to distance and effort.

Tried to keep the maximal effort no higher than what felt like 85-95% for each distance.

Approx 800m cool down.

Notes:
- stuff up ahead pretty much said it. Shins are still a tad sore at times, but have greatly improved to where I can be on the track now, and run in my Frees. More speed in the frees, and my stride is smoothing out quite a bit. Still do work on grass and all in the Vibramz
- I figure, seeing so much about the Decathlon thanks to AW, and the repeated mention of using a decathlon program for general strength and fitness, I'll give it a shot as best as I can.

Minimum 3 runs/week, progressing up to the distances in the guide he had in a thread I'll link to later, lifting 2x/week. Will likely add a recovery pace run or two to help the heart out a bit and get the blood flowing. Several potential amendments to be made.

I need to remember, slow and easy wins the (proverbial) race. It'll be a while until I can work to all the volume that was in that program, if ever.

Derek Weaver
02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
2/22/2011 Tuesday
Light and easy lifting today
Power Clean for a bunch of doubles @ 135 - light
Olympic Squat up to 215 for quick and easy doubles x I think 4 sets
Push Press 3 x 3 @ 135
TRX Body Row + push up 4 x 12
HLR 2 x 10

Notes:
- Feeling really fatigued today. Shot awake after only sleeping ~ 4 hours. Can't get back to sleep, but I've felt like a zombie.
- Time to start bumping the weight a bit. On the PCs, I'm really focusing on the 2nd pull. I can definitely feel a difference in how I catch the bar, the speed etc.
- One thing I'm not sure of, is how to sub out swimming since our pool is really cold right now, and I think I'm going to get out of the globo gym that just opened up. Impossible to get a good workout in there.

Derek Weaver
02-23-2011, 07:27 PM
2/23/2011 Wednesday
~1600m warm up
10 x 120m hill runs

Shins a little sore

Derek Weaver
02-24-2011, 06:30 PM
2/24/2011 Thursday
1600m warm up,
Warm up drills, 10 run outs.
Had planned for 10-15 200m runs, but my right shin started barking at me really bad.

Time to start swimming I think until the shins heal 100%. Looks like I'll have to figure out how to brave the cold, or get back into the globo pool.

Derek Simonds
02-25-2011, 05:53 AM
2/24/2011 Thursday
1600m warm up,
Warm up drills, 10 run outs.
Had planned for 10-15 200m runs, but my right shin started barking at me really bad.

Time to start swimming I think until the shins heal 100%. Looks like I'll have to figure out how to brave the cold, or get back into the globo pool.

Globo pool yeah! Check craigslist for a triathlon wetsuit. They are great to swim in.

Derek Weaver
02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
They look like they can be fairly affordable new as well. Or very unaffordable. Broad range of costs there.

I'm so tired of the shin splints. Taking an extra day or two off is fine, but I think they're just not going to heal completely unless I eliminate the running for a while. Swimming to stay fit, lifting and avoiding pain. Get back on the track in a week or two (hopefully). I figure the first day I have zero soreness, I'll give a light workout a go and continue to evaluate.

Doing some research, it looks like really bad shin splints can take several months to heal. Hope that's not me. I actually am growing to enjoy running, even the mile+ warm ups.

Arien Malec
02-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Ouch. Hope it's not a stress fracture -- I suspect that's the "several months" category. Has always been a week or so for me.

Have you tried "upstream/downstream" stuff? E.g., pain balling the plantar fascia, working ankle flexibility, and working on the IT band, etc.?

Derek Weaver
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, pain ball on the feet, reefing the calves across a baseball bat (that one SUCKED) upper leg mashing all around.

When I was initially working on my stride, my knees and shins were beat to hell because each forefoot strike resulted from driving up instead of forward. Evened it out pretty well now, but still recovering.

Shins feel good barefoot, not as good even with low soled shoes on.

I'll just swim to keep the lungs healthy. Plan right now is to get on the grass barefoot next week Thursday or Friday to see how I feel. That's assuming there is some improvement. Right now, each shin is a little sore to the touch, but I've got to dig to find the soreness.

Oddly enough, lifting, even powercleans, don't hurt at all.

Derek Weaver
02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
2/25/2011 Friday
Power Cleans- Doubles up to 165, then took a single at 170 and 2 x 1 @ 175
Push presses- 3 x 5 @ 145 - this was plenty heavy after the PCs.
3 x 12 Chins + Push Ups
3 x 12 HLR

Swim 35 minutes at the Globo late night.

Notes:
- Plans fell through last night so I started on this swimming thing. It's odd in that I can swim around all day, but when I actually start doing laps, I feel like I'm going to pass out fairly quick.
- I got 3-5 laps, at most before having to rest. Out of a 35 minute session, I'd be shocked if more than 20-25 minutes was actual swimming.
- PCs had enough juice to get more weight, but I'm a little hesitant in that I tend to screw up the catch now and then and don't want to compress my wrist.

Derek Simonds
02-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Two great swimming workouts for you.

1) Swim laps on the minute and rest until the start of the next minute.
2) Swim a lap slowly, time it and then rest for 30 seconds, swim the next lap faster then the one before it, rest 30 seconds, keep doing this until you can't go any faster then pyramid back the other way with each lap being a little slower.

Those are two of my favorites which only involve one lap. Once you do that for a couple of weeks you will be amazed at how quickly you can swim 1600 yards without stopping.

Are you swimming in a "bathing suit" or a real swim suit? Bathing suits add so much drag that they aren't any fun to do laps in. Also check out http://www.totalimmersion.net/ lots of really good stuff on swimming based on this concept. I swim the total immersion way and I love it! I think the cold medicine has me sounding like an infomercial testimonial...

Derek Weaver
02-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Two great swimming workouts for you.

1) Swim laps on the minute and rest until the start of the next minute.
2) Swim a lap slowly, time it and then rest for 30 seconds, swim the next lap faster then the one before it, rest 30 seconds, keep doing this until you can't go any faster then pyramid back the other way with each lap being a little slower.

Those are two of my favorites which only involve one lap. Once you do that for a couple of weeks you will be amazed at how quickly you can swim 1600 yards without stopping.

Are you swimming in a "bathing suit" or a real swim suit? Bathing suits add so much drag that they aren't any fun to do laps in. Also check out http://www.totalimmersion.net/ lots of really good stuff on swimming based on this concept. I swim the total immersion way and I love it! I think the cold medicine has me sounding like an infomercial testimonial...

Those look good, Derek. Thanks. I may go swimming tonight on the late night. I prefer a near empty gym and this carries over to the pool as well.

Swimming in a bathing suit. No fun to do laps, but I'm mainly just trying to keep the heart and lungs going while my shins heal.

I'd happened across Total Immersion before but hadn't paid much attention. What a mistake. Thanks for linking to the site.

Cold medicine is fun, but not when you've got a cold:cool: (just kidding). If you leave your job someday, you may have a future writing and recording testimonials. A post retirement career so to speak...

Derek Weaver
03-01-2011, 01:11 AM
2/27 +2/28/2011 Sunday + Monday
Late night swims. No idea how many laps. Tried the workouts Derek posted, the only issue is that I have two speeds when swimming, like most sporting things I do. All out, and easy. I don't really pace myself well, and considering I am a piss poor freestyle swimmer, it gets a little nasty with inhaling pool water.

30 minutes on Sunday, 40 minutes on Monday.

For Monday: I noticed that if I relaxed a bit, and just tried to make each stroke a clean one, things went much better. Just like running, when I put an all out sprint effort together, I'm not much faster than when I concentrate on only going 90% or so. I remember Lyle noting similar things when he was still skating in Utah. Tension and all that I guess.

Likely swim again tomorrow, take Wednesday off and give blood. It's been too long since I donated.

Derek Simonds
03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
You nailed it with swimming. The easier and cleaner your stroke the faster you will be going. I have swam with some people who were violent swimmers and they were damn near in cardiac arrest and only slightly faster then me and I wasn't even breathing hard. Lots of nuggets in that total immersion site. Have fun!

Derek Weaver
03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah, it's kind of amazing. I have a hard time clocking my laps, but it seems as though I'm 5+ seconds faster when I'm just keeping a decent stroke rate opposed to trying to power through.
3/1/2011 Tuesday

Another late night swim. Did this one in 8 minute intervals x 4. Again, the less I tried to swim fast, the easier and faster I went.

Derek Simonds
03-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Since you are working on swimming easily lets go with a new workout. I picked this one up from TI I think. The goal is to swim each length of the pool with fewer strokes. This will result in you going slower but you will glide more and you will become more aware of your body position. The goal is to push your chest "over the barrel" so that you use your chest as the main flotation and your spinae erectors and the very back of your head are all that is out of the water. I think if I remember correctly I worked up to where I could easily swim the length of the pool in 8 strokes.

Derek Weaver
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Since you are working on swimming easily lets go with a new workout. I picked this one up from TI I think. The goal is to swim each length of the pool with fewer strokes. This will result in you going slower but you will glide more and you will become more aware of your body position. The goal is to push your chest "over the barrel" so that you use your chest as the main flotation and your spinae erectors and the very back of your head are all that is out of the water. I think if I remember correctly I worked up to where I could easily swim the length of the pool in 8 strokes.

That's rad, thanks. I believe I will work on that one tonight. Highly valuable as a form drill as well as an entire workout? Or best used as a whole workout.

I found this site that looks okay, but I don't really know.
http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html
http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/SwimforExercise.html
http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/VeryBasicSwimming.html
http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/AdultLearner.html

Derek Simonds
03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Those are good but I am imagining that you are only swimming freestyle. If so the basic template was good, one day long, one day fast and one day varied. Can't go wrong with that.

Derek Weaver
03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Actually, I'm only doing a few laps freestyle. I am relatively fast (still slow as a snail compared to most anyone else) swimming freestyle, but I have a tendency to suck down a lot of water. It's something I more or less have to relearn every year ever since I was a kid just learning how to swim.

I always preferred the breast stroke, but that won't get me far if I ever do a triathlon or something, which is a possibility but not happening anytime soon.

Derek Simonds
03-04-2011, 05:58 AM
Allrighty based on that you absolutely need to work on the glide and use one of those first two ideas I suggested. I have worked with a lot of people on freestyle and I have a couple of coaching cues that really help. It would be a ton of typing so if you want to call me email me and I will get you my cell number and I will walk you through some drills and technique stuff that will help.

Derek Weaver
03-05-2011, 06:40 PM
3/5/2011 Saturday
Swam last night for 45 minutes
Did a few things with my freestyle stroke and was much smoother, but I run way out of breath quickly. Even breathing every stroke.

Tweaked the groin a little kicking while swimming breast stroke.

No squatting, tried deadlifting. Pain only maybe a 3 or 4 when doing something, at a 1 when just hanging out.

Deadlifts @ 185 and realized I was having pain and stopped
Press x 5 @ 120 RPE ~7, x 5 @ 100 Power to the People Style

Notes:
- Still trying to figure out what is good and what isn't. As my conditioning continues to improve, I feel better physically. Less beat up feeling.
- Maybe some sort of PTTP set up or something like 5 x 5 x 5 ala Beyond Bodybuilding would be worthwhile.

Eduardo Chile
03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
If you check out Eric Talmant's DVDs he recommeneds a lot of GPP workouts and a lot of lifting, he uses Sheiko. But this requires a lot of time available.

I feel the same way about being in shape and it helping how I feel.

There seems to be a misconception out there that people doing powerlifting type of workouts are out of shape cardio-wise.

Arien Malec
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Dan John's 40 day program? (which is just PTTP, really).

What's going on when you run out of breath? Is it a breathing pattern thing (not breathing deeply enough)?

When I was in swim team, oh, 30 years ago, we used to do breathing drills (every 3rd stroke, 4th stroke, 5th stroke) to train, essentially, being able to time the breath on the right pattern. If you are off pattern, you feel like you can't get a full breath; if you on on pattern, you can actually swim faster (by rolling a bit and exploiting the reduced drag).

Quick aside: One upon a time, when I was in high school at Berkeley High, Matt Biondi had a student teacher thing going on when he was swimming for Cal for a class that I was taking. Mostly, he coached from dryland, but once, he hopped in the pool. Most of the kids had no idea what they were seeing, but that man was on a different planet. His freestyle was a thing of magic, and when he breathed, he was like a dolphin cutting through the water.

Derek Weaver
03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes, I would say it's a breathing pattern thing.

If I go say, every third stroke, I'm tapped out after only 15 meters or so. If I go every other stroke, I may get a full length, but the turn around suuuuuucks and I have to pull up.

I'm guessing I'll end up doing DJs 40 day Program, or something close to it.

Derek Simonds
03-06-2011, 03:57 AM
I am kind of floating along right now and might do the DJ 40 day program with you.

Allen Yeh
03-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Check out the Lean Hybrid Muscle program, currently I'm on week 4 and enjoying it.

Arien Malec
03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
If I go say, every third stroke, I'm tapped out after only 15 meters or so. If I go every other stroke, I may get a full length, but the turn around suuuuuucks and I have to pull up.

I'd recommend slowing way down and working the roll and head turn with an every three strokes breathing pattern. My guess is that one or all of the following may be true:

1) Holding your breath in the water and trying to exhale during the head turn
2) Insufficient body roll in your stroke
3) Inefficient head turn (should be just to the side)

Derek Weaver
03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I am kind of floating along right now and might do the DJ 40 day program with you.

Yeah, I will likely end up doing something very much like it. Likely only 3 or 4 dedicated exercises. Ab work a little different as I'm still struggling with the remnants of LC syndrome- an unfortunate byproduct of desk work

Check out the Lean Hybrid Muscle program, currently I'm on week 4 and enjoying it.

I've seen that one mentioned a few times by guys like Cressey, Gentilcore, Brian St. Pierre etc. I have been working fairly high volume on the track (pre shin splints) and want to get back to that with a mixture of swimming as well. Not sure it'll work, but I'll definitely check it out.

Great to hear from you by the way.

I'd recommend slowing way down and working the roll and head turn with an every three strokes breathing pattern. My guess is that one or all of the following may be true:

1) Holding your breath in the water and trying to exhale during the head turn
2) Insufficient body roll in your stroke
3) Inefficient head turn (should be just to the side)

thanks, I'll work on these things. At some point I'll talk with Derek as well, and also got some of the free stuff from Total Immersion. I'll likely work on all these issues tonight for a while.

Arien Malec
03-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Has to be the most evil fitness hard sell website ever. Lots of "please don't leave me" popups everywhere.

Derek Weaver
03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I don't really like that dude who's in the deadlift videos. Seen him on other parts of the web. I hear the program actually is really good though.

Went ahead and lifted today
3/6/2011 Sunday
Light Deads 2 x 5 @ 185
Press 1 x 5 @ 125, 1 x 5 @ 105
Pull ups 2 x 5
TRX pikes or V's or whatever they call it 2 x 12

Notes:
- Groin still a touch sore. Not too bad, more like a really mild strain. No pool tonight, get back in the water tomorrow.
- Kept deads super light cause I got a little tweak in the groin from the push through at the top. Working the movement a touch.
- Plan on taking all deads double overhand, no straps unless I work a heavy triple or single. This ought to limit the weight substantially without mixing grip or strapping up.

Derek Weaver
03-07-2011, 04:38 PM
3/7/2011 Monday
Deads 1 x 5 @ 255, 1 x 5 @ 215 Kinda messed up the backoff set. Wasn't paying attention
Press 1 x 5 @ 120, 1 x 5 @ 100
Pull Ups 2 x 5
1 Arm Swings 16kg 15/arm
Finished with deadbug variations

Notes:
- Groin felt a bit better. Double overhand grip, nothing too bad. Getting used to deadlifting again after only power cleaning in the last few weeks, and pretty much no pulls from the floor or hang in the last 2 months or so.
- I should have been doing swings every day for a long time. Stupid. Hips and lower back feel better after even just a short set of swings. The hip hinge is something I think we, or at least I sure as hell do, seem to lose from sitting and not doing regular mobility through that range of motion. Just something i've been thinking of.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2011, 05:49 AM
I agree on the swings. I think I might give that lean hybrid a try for a couple of months and use swings as one of the movements between sets. I snatched a KB for the first time in forever on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Kind of silly the things that we can do and enjoy and end up not doing... Call me when you can I am around the rest of the week it looks like. My cell ends in 1212 if you need to find it in your call log.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Has to be the most evil fitness hard sell website ever. Lots of "please don't leave me" popups everywhere.

I hate that stuff also. Apparently it works at some level or you would think people wouldn't do it.

Arien Malec
03-08-2011, 09:26 AM
It's funny how we all rediscover stuff that we know works but leave out due to time, attention, etc.

Things I need to be doing more of:
swings, farmer's walks, odd object lifting, hill sprints

Alas, throwing them all in there leads to madness. Perhaps Dan John was right with his randomized workouts.

Derek Weaver
03-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I agree on the swings. I think I might give that lean hybrid a try for a couple of months and use swings as one of the movements between sets. I snatched a KB for the first time in forever on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Kind of silly the things that we can do and enjoy and end up not doing... Call me when you can I am around the rest of the week it looks like. My cell ends in 1212 if you need to find it in your call log.

Thanks, I was wondering what that number was. I have been getting a lot of telemarketers on my cell phone lately and usually let numbers I'm not familiar with go to VM. Should start picking them up.

I've been on the phone most of the last day and a half dealing with fraud prevention departments. Looks like I am one of the 10 million Americans who this will happen to this year.

It may take me a day or two to call you. I'm just checking in here to take a quick break and then get back to figuring out what the next step is.

I hate that stuff also. Apparently it works at some level or you would think people wouldn't do it.

Standard internet marketing stuff. One pop up is usually the deal when trying to make the initial sell. Then you may go through multiple upsells once they've opened their wallets. That's the side of things I don't care for with my new line of work.

It's funny how we all rediscover stuff that we know works but leave out due to time, attention, etc.

Things I need to be doing more of:
swings, farmer's walks, odd object lifting, hill sprints

Alas, throwing them all in there leads to madness. Perhaps Dan John was right with his randomized workouts.

The swing is an interesting exercise. Do it wrong, and even 16kg will jack you up. Do it right, and you can do it nearly every day, and keep the back and hips working and hinging, and get your heart rate up with little problems towards recovery. Like anything, finding the sweet spot is the issue. 200+ swings may not be a good idea every day, even when done lazy style with a light bell.

Tinkering and adjusting.

Derek Simonds
03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I've been on the phone most of the last day and a half dealing with fraud prevention departments. Looks like I am one of the 10 million Americans who this will happen to this year.

It may take me a day or two to call you. I'm just checking in here to take a quick break and then get back to figuring out what the next step is.

Well that is an uber high level of suck. Get it handled I am around all week. Don't forget to tip your bartender and waitresses... rimshot.

Derek Weaver
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Well that is an uber high level of suck. Get it handled I am around all week. Don't forget to tip your bartender and waitresses... rimshot.

Uber suck indeed.

Took the last two days off, today was:

3/10/2011 Thursday
SLDL (light) 2 x 5 @ 185 (groin a little iffy)
Press 125 x 5, 115 x 5
Towel chins 2 x 5 @ BW (yikes, grip fryer)
1 Arm KB Swing 16kg x 20 L/R
Dead bugs and a max hold plank that I forgot to start my clock for but was pathetically short

Notes:
- SLDLs to focus the hammies. I realized that I tend to muscle up anything starting at a moderate weight with my back and my hammies tend to get left out. Seeing if working SLDLs and RDLs may help to activate and strengthen the hamstrings.
- Towel chins... I used an old bath towel instead of a gym towel. Not sure if that makes it much harder but these were tough.
- Swim tonight.

Derek Weaver
03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
3/11/2011 Friday
SLDLs (light again) 2 x 5 @ 185
Press 2 x 5 @ 115
KB 2 Handed Swing x 25 @ 24kg
Towel Chins 6, 5
Planks 2 x 1 minute

Notes:
- Swam last night. Some things are getting better. Definitely embarrassing to be relearning how to swim. Have I said that yet?
- I actually think my groin is more of a hip flexor thing. Very low grade, but a little aggravating. It's getting better, but slowly. Swings don't hurt it, maybe it's the slightly wider stance than what I deadlift with?
- Have to give a ride to the airport at 4am tomorrow morning, which means I'll likely swim later tonight after I get back from the Warriors game, and pull an all nighter since I keep odd hours anyway. sleep during the day and try and get on a normal schedule tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
03-14-2011, 05:00 PM
3/14/2011 Monday
Light SLDLs again 2 x 5 @ 185, groinage at about a 3 on a scale of 1-10
Press 2 x 5 @ 120
Towel Chins 3 x 5 @ BW
1 Hand KB Swing 16kg 15r/l
Ab Wheel 1 x 10

Notes:
- Easy stuff today. I think I can start adding some weight on the deads without my groin falling apart.
- Presses can move up
- Don't laugh, but I am actually enjoying this 4-5x/week low volume, practice like approach to workouts. Between this identity stuff and a few other things going on, I don't have a whole lot of nerve left and don't want to smash whatever I've got in the weight room (aka my garage).
- If I am forced to go lighter on some things, I am going to go heavy on other things. That means incorporating more towel chins, and possibly picking up some fat gripz. Grip's always been a shortcoming for me anyway. I'm pretty sure grip has been a deadlift limiter in the past, but now it's a combination of grip, hips/hamstrings and the groin keeping me from wanting to push over a measly 185.

Arien Malec
03-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Farmers walks are always fun to add to the rotation.

Derek Weaver
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Farmers are a good idea. I need to build some bars.

3/15/2011 Tuesday
Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 205- light weight
Press 2 x 5 @ 130 - not so light weight
Towel Chins 3 x 6, 6, 5
KB High Pull 16kg x 20 r/l
Ab Wheel 1 x 10

Notes:
- Whoa on the press. Rep 1-3 felt fine, grind on 4 and 5, for both sets. Once upon a time I pressed something lik 155 x 3 x 5 without feeling exhausted.
- Late night swim around 40 minutes. Same on Sunday and Monday.

3/16/2011 Wednesday
Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 225. light weight.
KB Push Press 2 x 5 r/l @ 32kg
Towel Chins 2 x 6
KB Swings x 30 @ 24kg
Ab Wheel 12, 10

Notes:
- Went with a KB for the overhead press stuff today. Shoulder felt a little off with a barbell, but was solid with a KB. Same but different.
- Basically, each workout I want to get a hip centric pull, a press (vertical or horizontal), upper body pull (chin, pull up, towel chins, or curls), KB movement like a swing or high pull, and some sort of an extension dependent ab exercise (ab wheel, TRX stuff, planks). Pretty much like the workout Dan John laid out, making changes on the fly if necessary, such as a touchy shoulder or low back or something.

Arien Malec
03-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Looks like a great approach.

Don't know if you've seen this:
http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/26605/

Heavy dumbbells can proxy for real farmer's bars.

Kevin Perry
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
130 on the press isn't so bad, have you played around with a false grip for presses? it really adds a new dimension to the lift.

Derek Weaver
03-18-2011, 07:33 PM
I do all my barbell presses with a false grip. By add a new dimension, I take it you mean it is infinitely easier to rack the bar and press it without jamming wrists, elbows and shoulders?

3/17/2011 Thursday
Deads 2 x 5 @ 225
Floor Presses 2 x 5 @ 155 (not a good choice here)
Towel Chins 2 x 6
Swings @ 24kg x 30
Ab Wheel 2 x 10

Notes:
- Beat up, didn't want to workout, but I needed an escape from my computer

3/18/2011 Friday
Deads 2 x 5 @ 185 - groin
Loaded Push Up BW + 25 lb Plate 2 x 8
Chins no towel: 2 x 12, 11
Planks 2 x 1 minute
No Swings today

Notes:
- Workout just to do it today. Light stuff all around
- Considering messing with push up variations when needed instead of horizontal barbell work. Shoulders didn't feel good doing the floor presses, even with elbows tucked. Need to be careful. Between the swimming and the presses, my shoulders are feeling it.

Kevin Perry
03-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't know, I have shoulder problems and it takes a lot of strain off of the shoulder for me.

Derek Weaver
03-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't know, I have shoulder problems and it takes a lot of strain off of the shoulder for me.

The false grip right? That's what I was saying. It still f's my shoulders over time between swimming and pressing. Too much overhead work overall. Even if I hadn't had the shoulder issues I've had (torn rotator cuff, jacked biceps tendon on the right side alone) I would probably be getting a little sore.

Gotta find some balance.

Derek Simonds
03-21-2011, 06:01 AM
I think the balance comes in the form of pulling either vertical or horizontal to offset whichever type of pressing you are doing. I know anytime my shoulders start to squawk it usually because I have neglected my pulling exercises. YMMV, yada yada and all that.

How is your swimming going? I see that you are swimming for a longer period of time. I swam with the kids at the lake and it felt great. I guess I do miss it.

Derek Weaver
03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Swimming is going much better, thanks. I have gone through those TI manuals I linked a little while back and break up the swims into drills, then start doing one length freestyle, one breast stroke, and just alternate.

I always lose track of distance and just aim for at least 30 minutes, looking to push it to 45 minutes or longer.

this week will be a little odd as I have bitten off quite a bit. Had some good stuff happen, and that has triggered a little more aggressive stuff regarding work/business goals.

Re: Shoulders/pressing/pulling. I definitly agree. The one caveat though, is if you're doing a lot of overhead work outside of the weight room, then moving to more horizontal pressing and pulling, in addition to neutral grip vertical pulling and chins. Baseball and volleyball players are a good example of athletes who rarely, if ever, do overhead pressing work.

The fact that my shoulders have been a little tricky off and on in the past adds to the need to be a little more measured than I usually am.

Derek Weaver
03-22-2011, 02:08 AM
3/21/2011 Monday
Deads (light still) 235 x 2 x 5
Loaded Push up 45 lb plate on back x 2 x 5
Towel Chins 2 x 5
KB Swing 24 kg x 30
Ab Wheel 2 x 10

Notes:
- No late night swim. It's 2 am, and I'm still going building back links. Plus, the shoulder felt a little off, but I'm thinking it's because I was talking about shoulders and overhead stuff.
- I've noticed that the movements are getting smoother, even though they're still pretty light. Groin is still "there" so I'm going easy on the deads for as long as it takes.
- It's odd in that I think I am basically doing this program the way it's meant to be done, I don't feel trash or sore (usually), and have noticed exercises getting easier from a quality of movement stand point. Any bets on how long it will take until I Weaver myself and end up blowing myself out?

Derek Simonds
03-22-2011, 06:08 AM
- It's odd in that I think I am basically doing this program the way it's meant to be done, I don't feel trash or sore (usually), and have noticed exercises getting easier from a quality of movement stand point. Any bets on how long it will take until I Weaver myself and end up blowing myself out?

Nope, sounds like a sucker bet to me... Have you read any of Adam Glass new writings. One of the things he is saying all the time is that when you have excess tension stop and that you should not be sore all the time from training. He also talks about making the movements easier. Kind of interesting where you are going with your training today.

Arien Malec
03-22-2011, 08:19 AM

Nice -- I'm going to guess you'll see some nice gains. Can you use "same but different" for intentional variation?

Derek Weaver
03-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I think the biggest gains I'll see will be in terms of safety. I've had problems for the last couple of years with my set up and feel like I'm finally getting a good, tight set up again. Relaxed above the sternum, and tight and solid everywhere else.

Still a long way to go. I have no idea how many days I've been at this, but it can't be more than 15 or so.

3/22/2011 Tuesday
Deadlift (light) 235 x 2 x 5
Loaded Push up 2 x 5 + 45 lb bumper
Towel Chins 1 x 5, Chins 1 x 10
Swing 24 kg x 25 (no snappy today)
Ab Wheel 1 x 10

Notes:
- Groin a little touchy today. I thought I was catching a cold, but it seems to have faded in the last 6 hours or so and seems to be allergies. Itchy throat.

Derek Weaver
03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
3/23/2011 Wednesday
Deadlift 235 x 5, 245 x 3, 255 x 2- smooth, easy and fast
Loaded Push up 2 x 5 @ 45 lb bumper
Towel Chins 2 x 5
Swing 24 kg x 30
Ab Wheel 1 x 10

Notes:
- this workout can and probably should be quite a bit heavier. The double wasn't remotely challenging, which is good since it's less than 100 lbs my last semi 1rm single.

3/24/2011 Thursday
Deadlift 235 x 5, 185 x 5
Loaded Push up 2 x 5 @ 45 lb
Towel Chins 2 x 5
Swing 24kg x 21 (lost hip snap)
Plank 1 minute followed by a bunch of deadbugs

Notes:
- Felt off today. Didn't get to sleep til 4am, when some are waking up. Computer problems had me restoring the OS on my desktop. Once I got going I couldn't stop and had to get my internet connection stuff set up, files transferred back from external HD to HD on computer etc.
- Hips a little goofy cause of the late night sitting as well. Looooong day yesterday.

Derek Weaver
03-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Having a bunch of soreness in the IT band area. Friday and today (Saturday) as complete rest days with some light stretching.

Not sure what could be causing it. The only real culprit is the deadlifts. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Took Friday though Monday off. Aside from the IT stuff, my grip was slipping and I slept 10.5 hours through on Sunday. I think I remember reading that grip strength can be an indicator of CNS fatigue. I have weak grip anyway, but I was getting weaker.

Tuesday 3/29/2011
Suitcase Deadlift 2 x5/side @ 94
Loaded Push up BW + 45 lbs 2 x 5
Towel Chins 2 x 5
Swings 24kg x 25
Ab Wheel 2 x 10

Notes:
- Grip was solid today, but I went with suitcase deads because I didn't feel like full deads. That's the only reason.
- Groin was good all around. Usually on my warm up I can feel if I may have a little more soreness, but no problems today.
- Side note on extra recovery days: I was talking with my cousin who is completing her Phd in Physical Therapy about this hip flexor thing that's been bugging me (intentionally specified as hip flexor) and she said I should be careful that I don't develop a sports hernia.

Did some searching, and it looks like that could be a potential outcome, except my discomfort has been no more than a 3 on a pain scale of 10, and I have taken zero pain medication. Either way, I figured resting an extra day or two would have the added benefit of getting me closer to 100%

- Going to be time to switch things up a little to a different approach for one very important reason: two of my favorite people are getting married the first weekend of May and I need to be sure that my suit fits well. I know, kind of a pansy excuse. Whatever. In the past, depending on how well I eat, and how hard I can work, I can usually milk the noob gain and add a little meat to the upper back while bringing the waist down a notch. We'll see if it'll happen again here, given I've done a lot of conditioning in the last couple months, but not lifted as often or as heavy.

Either way, I'll be moving into an approach like this: (http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1713121), but with the weight work aimed at not passing an RPE of 7.5/8.0 and the conditioning intervals to be done at a moderate intensity instead of high.

Arien Malec
03-30-2011, 04:03 AM
I need to be sure that my suit fits well. I know, kind of a pansy excuse. Whatever.

I'm on the same approach; nothing wrong with wanting to look sharp.

Derek Simonds
03-30-2011, 06:07 AM
I use how my skinny suit fits as an overall fitness indicator. Looking good in a suit is a requirement for a wedding.

Derek Weaver
03-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm on the same approach; nothing wrong with wanting to look sharp.

Yeah, especially considering what I spent on that damn suit. I had never had a whole suit that was just for me. Now, I gotta keep the measurements in check so it stays right over time.

I use how my skinny suit fits as an overall fitness indicator. Looking good in a suit is a requirement for a wedding.

Indeed, especially this wedding. It's down in the Pebble Beach area. Using suit fit as a fitness indicator is probably a good idea.

Arien Malec
03-31-2011, 07:36 AM
It's funny: I just bought a suit online that fits wonderfully, except for the damn thighs. I'm hoping that getting down to 10% will help weightlifter thigh syndrome. :-(

Derek Weaver
04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
It's funny: I just bought a suit online that fits wonderfully, except for the damn thighs. I'm hoping that getting down to 10% will help weightlifter thigh syndrome. :-(

Ahhh, weightlifter thigh syndrome. A classic yin to the yang of strength (or whatever good and bad is). That happened to me when I was finishing up SS.

Last week: I think 3 workouts total. One bodyweight fool around session. Another doing 1 leg rdl, pull ups etc. Nothing crazy or worth getting into.

4/4/2011 Monday
A1) 1 Leg RDL 4 x 6 reps @ 2 x 24 kg kb
A2) Chins 4 x 6 BW+ 20 lbs

Metabolic:
a1) Push ups 3 x 30 sec
a2) Split squats subbed to baby jumps 3 x 30 sec (groin)
b1) TRX Row 3 x 30 sec.
b2) Plank 3 x 30 sec.

Notes:
- That actually really sucked. this groin/low ab thing is getting to be a bit more of a concern. Not trying to be a hypochondriac, but it's not going away. Oddly enough, there's little to no pain, but there is discomfort. Not sure if that makes sense.
- 1 Leg DL options cause zero groin and low ab discomfort. Still looking for a trap bar/farmers handles, we'll see how the different set up affects things once I score one of those two.
- Split squatting didn't bother me on the left side (healthy), but the right side was a little tender.

Derek Weaver
04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
4/6/2011 Wednesday
A1) Low Incline BP 4 x 6 @ 155
A2) Squat BW+70 lb weight vest 4 x 6

Metabolic stuff 3x through a pairings, then b pairing:
a1) KB swing-low and lazy 30 sec x 16 kg
a2) Body row low positioning on TRX x 30 sec
b1) TRX scarecrow 30 sec
b2) supine psoas hold 2 x 5-10 sec holds

Finished up with 1 x 5 side lying leg raise/extension or whatever you call it.
Notes:
- Getting proactive with this groin/low abdominal thing. In looking for resources on working through a groin strain I was eventually linked to this: http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1606.cfm

It's actually on sports hernias, but depending on where you look, some people seem to think they're pretty much one in the same.

The warm up went:
Foam the ever loving S*** out of my quads and hip flexors (ouch)
Cook hip lift 2 x 5/side
Bird Dog 2 x 5/side
Internal and External hip stretches 2 x 20 sec
Hamstring AIS 2 x 10 reps
Short Level Side Planks for a couple per side

I'm hoping that paying attention and working to strengthen the hip stabilizers will help me avoid any sort of further injury.

This freaking thing won't go away. Each day it's been a little sore when I lay down at night to sleep, and certain exercises made me think twice. Double KB work is out for now, wide stance is unforgiving. Single bell work, done low and lazy and light like today likely fits fine.

We'll see how I feel later and re adjust, add, delete etc. to get blood flowing, get the strain healed and the muscles strengthened.

PS.
Ordered a trap bar from jesup today. Had to. Too good of a deal to pass up. The work where the weight is centered a bit is much better than stuff like front squats.

edit to add bird dogs

Arien Malec
04-06-2011, 05:41 PM
This freaking thing won't go away.

Seen a doctor? (says the guy who's rehabbing his shoulder that's been sore for 3 months)

Also, pain ball for the quad/IT interface and a large diameter PVC pipe do wonders.

Derek Weaver
04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Seen a doctor? (says the guy who's rehabbing his shoulder that's been sore for 3 months)

Also, pain ball for the quad/IT interface and a large diameter PVC pipe do wonders.

Not yet. From what I understand, it's not uncommon for groin strains to take several weeks to even a couple months to heal, even without a full sports hernia.

Lots of pain ball is on the menu, and the PVC pipe needs to happen quick.

I had always gotten hurt relatively often playing sports and whatever else, but these little freak injuries that are messing me up never happened until CF.

I shutter to think what a true assessment by someone else may show. I have done a decent job on myself, I think, but if someone like a Mike Robertson or Cressey type did one.... jeesh.

Derek Weaver
04-09-2011, 04:58 PM
4/8/2011 Friday
Warm Ups Stuff:
Static stretch hip flexors, adductors (reaaaaallllly right), ext. rotators, int. rotators, hammies, ais on quads and calves today
Iso Holds 3 x 10 sec. holds/side if applicable
Cook Hip lift
Bird Dogs
Side Planks with a short lever

Moved Side lying adduction (2 x 10) post workout and deleted the psoas holds.
Should have kept psoas holds and not gone with the adductions yet.

Air Squat + 70 lb vest x 10 (stupid) BW only 2 x 10
1 leg RDL 3 x 10 @ 16 kg kb offset (I like these)
Weighted Chins BW + 23 lbs 3 x 8
Band Push ups + Body Row 3 x 12

Notes:
- Surprisingly beat after this one. Workout schedule looks completely different than the plan, but whatever, getting my groin to stop bugging is more important.
- Groin a little iffy after the adductions. Will re test this exercise Wednesday or Friday. Keep the psoas holds in though.
- It's odd in that I have ZERO limp, I can do just aboute verything, but it seems more like my groin/lower abs are like a brake. Like the muscles are just damaged enough to let me know I can't go full throttle, but I don't have to idle around either.
- Let's see how things go. Trap bar I think is going to be here next week Thursday or Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to move Air Squats into light trap bar deadlifts.

Derek Weaver
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
4/11/2011 Monday
Warm up:
Foam roll quads, ITB, Hammies, T-Spine (+T Spine Extension) lats
Static stretch hammies, hip flexors, quads, calves, lats, pecs (~2-3 x 10-15 seconds)
Started stretching with AIS for hammies. This is something I've toyed with and it seems to be pretty effective combination. Just one set of 10 reps may do it.
3x12 sec Iso:
Cook Hip lift (per side)
Bird Dog (per side)
Side Bridge 2 x 12 sec with a shortened lever
Super Man Fall Outs on TRX 3 x 10 with a pretty easy angle

Strength/Rehab Stuff Lower Body Only:
Air Squats 3 x 12 (felt good)
1 Leg RDL 3 x 10/side @ 20kg KB + 1 x 8 for right leg w/ a 16 kg kb
Finished 2 x 8 Glute Bridges
TRX Face Pulls 3 x 8-12 (I think it went 11, 9, 9 today)
Notes:
- Again, surprisingly toasted. Between the point that I can't cheat on the one leg RDL stuff, the balance required etc I'm beat.
- Making another tweak to try and get some work each day for lower overall volume and intensity on a per day basis. On lower body stuff I'll try and get some upper back stuff and maybe push ups or something.
On upper body days I'll work some sort of activation or something low level for the lower body so long as I don't impede recovery
- The original idea I had for training was good, but I need to do a few things. First and foremost is to try my best to get this groin thing sorted. Second is to actually work perfect technique as much as humanly possible. I usually had passable to solid technique, but at this point I care more about being healthy from an orthopedic standpoint first. Strength will follow again if I can stick to it.
- Otherwise, with the exception of at least two times per week doing this lower body thing, the training will be pretty fluid.
- Diet is tightening up. Utilizing more of an Eat Stop Eat thing 2x/week. I was thinking of going with Lean Gains, but I like to eat carbs every day. I got pretty lean following Eat Stop Eat summer before last following the V-Diet disaster, took a break, UD2.0 (successful), took a break and went with ESE for about 10 weeks (most successful).
- I think I get, without even seeing it, what Charlie Weingroff means on his DVD title Training = Rehab, Rehab = Training

Arien Malec
04-11-2011, 08:31 PM
- Diet is tightening up. Utilizing more of an Eat Stop Eat thing 2x/week. I was thinking of going with Lean Gains, but I like to eat carbs every day. I got pretty lean following Eat Stop Eat summer before last following the V-Diet disaster, took a break, UD2.0 (successful), took a break and went with ESE for about 10 weeks (most successful)

Rule #1: do what works!

You can eat carbs every day with LG, just make off days lower carb and on days higher carb. Honestly, the only things that matter are:

1) Getting enough protein on rest days
2) Keeping calories lower than maintenance.

There are reasons to keep carbs low (increased fat mobilization, etc.), but honestly, in the eating window and thereafter you are hypercaloric anyway so you aren't going to get mobilization; you get most of the benefits from the tail end of the fasting period anyway. Low carb on rest days is just a tweak.

Derek Weaver
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I'll stick with ESE for simplicity. It's the only approach I've used where I was successful and did zero counting.

4/12/2011 Tuesday
Lower body warm up/rehab stuff as before.
Did the RX Single leg progression only from this Tbag article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_lost_art_of_movement_capacity

General upper body mobility etc.
A1) Bench Press: Bunch of Triples at 165. Focused on being explosive + perfect technique. Tough combo
A2) KB Row (1-Arm): Bunch of Sets of 6-8 @ 32kg kb
B1)Ply Push up 3 x 5
B2) TRX Face Pull 4 x 8
C) TRX IYT (3, 3, 3) x 3

Notes:
- We'll see how the groin/lower abdomen feels. Nothing hurt while I was working, we'll see about after.
- Plyo push ups probably weren't a good idea given the issues I'm facing. As well, unilateral work isn't likely a great idea for pulling or pressing. May end up doing a bunch of upper body work on the TRX until this irons out.
- Trap Bar is expected to be here tomorrow according to tracking. Light TBDLs are going in place of air squats, and we'll see how that goes. Can always change back.

Derek Weaver
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Trap bar came in today. I feel like my groin/lower ab thing needs rest, but I really want to get some TBDLs.... Distract with work is the only alternative I think.

Derek Weaver
04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
4/14/2011 Thursday
Warm up:
Static stretch: quads, hip flexors, hams, external rotators, int. rotators
Cook Hip Lift 3 x 10 sec. hold
Bird Dog 3 x 10 sec. hold
Side Bridge: 2 x 10, short lever
TRX Fall Out w/ an easy and short lever 2 x 10

A) Trap Bar DL 3 x 10 @ 135
B) Single Leg RDL 3 x 10 @ 20kg

TRX Upper Back Work:
a) Face Pull 2 x 12
b) IYT x3 each x 3 sets

Notes:
- Trap bar is nice. Very comfortable to set up, I could get tight without feeling like I just wanted to bail out, back was good. I think this was a good idea. Seem to get a little more upper back involved too. Upright back angle I suppose.
- Groin seems to be getting better in some ways, and either holding or worse in others. Still no limp or anything. For the most part I think it's getting better.
- Upper back work every day in one form or another if I can manage. Upper back is very difficult to over train from what I understand. We'll see.

Samuel Hughes
04-14-2011, 08:12 PM
When I had access to a trap bar I was digging doing rows with it. Think BB upright rows with little risk of shoulder impingement.

Samuel Hughes
04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
thought id share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Derek Weaver
04-14-2011, 09:35 PM
When I had access to a trap bar I was digging doing rows with it. Think BB upright rows with little risk of shoulder impingement.

With my shoulders I stay away from upright rows in any form, but I can actually see myself doing some presses with it. The neutral grip should work with my shoulders where a barbell doesn't.

I'm already extremely happy I got it though.

thought id share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Thanks for posting that. I've seen that video before, but have to be brutally honest in that I think that guy comes off as a total twat and I couldn't disagree further.

What people forget is that protein and carbs have a similar effect on insulin, and that a meal of only protein and fat has a similar (slightly less) effect on insulin as a meal of only carbs and fat.

Brad Pilon explains it well here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coUlGtAqmNg&feature=player_embedded

I credit that video with getting my thinking on this stuff going again.

Okinawans eat almost all carbs, yet are usually slight in build, fairly fit overall and live long lives. All the work on the Blue Zones shows similar findings in that: people move around a lot doing manual labor type activities, have a strong sense of community, and eat less. The labor varies, the communities vary, but the eating less stays constant. And they lead relatively low stress lives as well. That helps as much as anything.

I'll trust thousands of years old Japanese society before that guy, even if he is an MD.

Sorry for the rant on your post, but these things make me want to pull my hair out.

Side note, my 1/8 of Japanese ancestry descends from Japan. My great-grandfather migrated over to Hawaii just past the turn of the last century. That has nothing to do with anything, just thought I'd share.

Samuel Hughes
04-14-2011, 09:43 PM
With my shoulders I stay away from upright rows in any form, but I can actually see myself doing some presses with it. The neutral grip should work with my shoulders where a barbell doesn't.

I'm already extremely happy I got it though.

Thanks for posting that. I've seen that video before, but have to be brutally honest in that I think that guy comes off as a total twat and I couldn't disagree further.

What people forget is that protein and carbs have a similar effect on insulin, and that a meal of only protein and fat has a similar (slightly less) effect on insulin as a meal of only carbs and fat.

Brad Pilon explains it well here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coUlGtAqmNg&feature=player_embedded

I credit that video with getting my thinking on this stuff going again.

Okinawans eat almost all carbs, yet are usually slight in build, fairly fit overall and live long lives. All the work on the Blue Zones shows similar findings in that: people move around a lot doing manual labor type activities, have a strong sense of community, and eat less. The labor varies, the communities vary, but the eating less stays constant. And they lead relatively low stress lives as well. That helps as much as anything.

I'll trust thousands of years old Japanese society before that guy, even if he is an MD.

Sorry for the rant on your post, but these things make me want to pull my hair out.

Side note, my 1/8 of Japanese ancestry descends from Japan. My great-grandfather migrated over to Hawaii just past the turn of the last century. That has nothing to do with anything, just thought I'd share.

Yeah, you sure its the same video? I'll agree he is pompous (you get used to it in high profile academia), but he covers a LOT of material very concisely. This presentation is all on fructose... He's not a low carb-er. He endorses carbs in a non-sucrose/HFCS context. He even talks about the japanese being healthy. The biochemistry portion alone is spot on and as simply/shortly explained as could be....Surprised you didn't like it.

Arien Malec
04-14-2011, 10:01 PM
- Trap bar is nice.

Surprised you didn't hit the trap bar farmers?

Derek Weaver
04-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah, you sure its the same video? I'll agree he is pompous (you get used to it in high profile academia), but he covers a LOT of material very concisely. This presentation is all on fructose... He's not a low carb-er. He endorses carbs in a non-sucrose/HFCS context. He even talks about the japanese being healthy. The biochemistry portion alone is spot on and as simply/shortly explained as could be....Surprised you didn't like it.

I actually had seen that one but think I was thinking of another one. I was listening to that one while typing in my log and doing some other work.

I still think it's looking for something that's not there. Sucrose, fructose, HFCS, doesn't matter. Insulin doesn't matter for fat loss either. There are plenty of instances of people losing fat in a high insulin environment. Most overweight people have elevated insulin as a result of overeating.

Sure, if someone eats ingests too much HFCS, they'll get fat and a screwed up blood chemistry, but the issue is the same of any calorie source.

And I do appreciate your posting the link, I just didn't like that presenter.

He's no more pompous than the Political Science professors I had when I was in college though. They were perhaps the worst. History professors were surprisingly neutral at my university...

Surprised you didn't hit the trap bar farmers?

Trying to be smart with this nagging groin/ab strain or whatever it is. farmers may happen on Saturday. We'll see how I feel tomorrow and then Saturday morning. If I have any discomfort then I'll stay the course I'm on.

I do want to hit some farmers though.

Derek Weaver
04-15-2011, 05:40 PM
4/15/2011 Friday
a1) Bench x 3 reps by who knows how many sets. Up to 185 for fast triples.
a2) TRX Body Row pulled to "low position" for sets of 6-8 w/ a paused retraction
b1) low incline bench 3 x 6- trying to get this groove back
b2) TRX Face pulls 3 x 10-12
c) TRX Ext. Rotations 3 x 5
d) IYT x 3 reps each x 3 sets

Notes:
- Woke up feeling about 90% with the groin/ab stuff. Surprised cause I was fairly sore last night. Perhaps a little more aggressiveness was needed and met by the TBDLs? I'm clueless, but do feel like the stuff I've been doing will hopefully lead to better balance in my hips.

Derek Weaver
04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
4/16/2011 Saturday
Messed around with some of the neural charge (http://www.t-nation.com/neural-charge.jsp) stuff that has gotten a little play at TBag in the last few months of last year. Supposedly it's supposed to be good for CNS and everything. I have no idea how he came to his conclusions but I'll try it out.

Usually when Thibaudeau comes out with something I think a) steroids and b) hawking supplements.

I don't see much of a departure in this regard, but he's got a little bit more of a conservative approach, even though it seems how he's talking out of his ass with the "geeky science". Either way, I'm curious.

I'd done one or two of these little things in the past stopping right when I started to feel better and noticed that I did seem to carry that feeling through the day.

So, with the metabolic stuff on the fritz until I get my injury stuff sorted out, I can pretty effectively work some of the principles he's laid out with the whole Perfect Rep, auto regulation, neural charge stuff.

I'll either end up buried (likely outcome), or I won't. Either way, I'll try and log my stuff a little better to keep up with it.

Two upper and lower days, with the lower being pretty rehab centric and more rigid than upper where I'll go with what feels solid for the day in terms of movements. Keep reps fast and hard, work weights back up. I'll hit these neural charge workouts when I feel thrashed and see how recovery goes, but I'll probably get at least 2/week. They're over and done with in 20 minutes or less.

No Mag-10, Anaconda or any other BS supplement stuff though.

Derek Simonds
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
4/16/2011 Saturday
Messed around with some of the neural charge (http://www.t-nation.com/neural-charge.jsp) stuff that has gotten a little play at TBag in the last few months of last year. Supposedly it's supposed to be good for CNS and everything. I have no idea how he came to his conclusions but I'll try it out.

Usually when Thibaudeau comes out with something I think a) steroids and b) hawking supplements.

I don't see much of a departure in this regard, but he's got a little bit more of a conservative approach, even though it seems how he's talking out of his ass with the "geeky science". Either way, I'm curious.

I'd done one or two of these little things in the past stopping right when I started to feel better and noticed that I did seem to carry that feeling through the day.

So, with the metabolic stuff on the fritz until I get my injury stuff sorted out, I can pretty effectively work some of the principles he's laid out with the whole Perfect Rep, auto regulation, neural charge stuff.

I'll either end up buried (likely outcome), or I won't. Either way, I'll try and log my stuff a little better to keep up with it.

Two upper and lower days, with the lower being pretty rehab centric and more rigid than upper where I'll go with what feels solid for the day in terms of movements. Keep reps fast and hard, work weights back up. I'll hit these neural charge workouts when I feel thrashed and see how recovery goes, but I'll probably get at least 2/week. They're over and done with in 20 minutes or less.

Come on man with all that work you are doing go all in on the supplements :D

Arien Malec
04-16-2011, 07:43 PM

But Thibs refuses to train anyone without the Mag-10 and Anaconda, it's that good. 20 lbs lean gain, for sure :)

Derek Weaver
04-17-2011, 04:21 PM
You guys are both right.

I should also start with 40mg of Anavar/day moving up.

This will still not be enough unless I double the Mag-10, hit a double dose of Surge (peri-intra-post etc.), hit 10-20 caps of flameout/day, and also drop a few caps of the Elite Pro minerals for those times when you have to counter act all the reactions that my food is having with itself.

The Anavar is probably the least important component of all of that.

note:
- I'm not going to use any of the above in case anyone comes along with a stick in the wrong place and doesn't realize the joking and sarcasm.

Arien Malec
04-18-2011, 09:37 AM
We ask, and we receive: Thibs lays it all out. 5% fat loss and muscle gain in 6 weeks with star complexes and super-anabolic supps (have to work with Thibs directly to get the super-secret supps that work synergistically with Anaconda, Mag-10 and Surge workout fuel).

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/6_weeks_to_superhero_how_i_build_muscle_and_strip_ off_fat_fast

Derek Weaver
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Epic. It seemed like he may have taken a short break from shark jumpage, and then this.

I love how they make the whole Mag 10, Anaconda stuff seem like magic, when it's just casein hydrolysate and aminos or something. I read a while back that hydrolysates are potentially damaging to internal organs.

I'll stick with this little experiment and forgo the star complexes. Talk about a potential sports hernia.... that could get ugly.

Derek Weaver
04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
4/18/2011 Monday
Definitely should have tried one of those short neural charge workouts today to see if I would have felt better.

Warm up:
Foam roll and static stretch the usual groups, hammies, quads/hip flexors, int.+ext. rotators of the hip, calves etc. for 15-30 sec depending on how each group felt.

Cook hip lift 3 x 10/side
Bird Dog 3 x 10/side
Side Bridge (short lever) 2 x 12 sec/side
Psoas Holds 2 x 10 sec/side
TRX fall outs with an easy angle, 2 x 10

a) TBDL 135 x 3 x 10
b) 1 leg RDL 20kg 3 x 10/side
c) GHR 1 x 5
d) TRX IYTx 3/move x 3 sets
Notes:
- Time to start progressing a touch on the TBDL. I woke up each of the last two days with almost zero discomfort.
- I'll add in adduction stuff real easy next lower body workout and see how things go.
- May experiment with some light bounding and hopping. Was messing around and noticed that bounding type stuff hasn't bothered me, and is a decent way to get a little power and conditioning stuff in. This may be held off for another week or so to be safe. Depends on how stupid I feel at the time.

Arien Malec
04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I woke up each of the last two days with almost zero discomfort.

Excellent news.

Derek Simonds
04-19-2011, 03:55 AM
We ask, and we receive: Thibs lays it all out. 5% fat loss and muscle gain in 6 weeks with star complexes and super-anabolic supps (have to work with Thibs directly to get the super-secret supps that work synergistically with Anaconda, Mag-10 and Surge workout fuel).

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/6_weeks_to_superhero_how_i_build_muscle_and_strip_ off_fat_fast

It's always the damn super secret stuff that I miss out on.

Derek Weaver
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
It's always the damn super secret stuff that I miss out on.

The biggest secret I think I've figured out recently is that it was actually impossible to get stronger or build muscle before TBag came about. Everything else is incidental rubbish.

edited for a touch more snark.

Derek Weaver
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
4/19/2011 Tuesday
A1) Bench for a bunch of triples (maybe 10x3 or more?) @ 185. Couldn't get any more speed at 190 or 195 so I stuck here
A2) TB Rows @ 95 with a 1 second pause and hard contraction at top for sets of 8
B1) TRX Push Ups 4 x 8
B2) TRX Face Pull 4 x 12
C) IYT 3 x 3 series

Notes:
- Tweaked my left knee a touch stretching ext. rotators. Fine now, but it made some of the daily lower body stuff uncomfortable, so I left that out.
- Messed with a few McGill approved ab moves to see how they feel
- Only discomfort is very mild in the actual groin. Lower ab discomfort seems to be subsiding
- I think the plan will be to add another set of mild extensions for ab work tomorrow or Thursday, and bump weights for TBDL and see where things fall regarding pain/discomfort. THEN, I'll modify moves and get some plyo stuff going on a very limited basis.

Derek Weaver
04-20-2011, 06:55 PM
4/20/2011 Wednesday
So, Batwings 4 x 5 @ 2 x 16kg kb w/ a 3 sec. hold
25 outside the legs kb swings x 2 sets x 2 x 16 kg kb

Notes:
- this took all of about 10-15 minutes because I was lazy.
- Tried the outside the leg swings and these seem to be pretty neutral. Makes sense that a normal KB lifting stance would be a little more traumatic for a groin/lower ab thing. Did them somewhat low, but very lazy in a GS type of tempo.
- I like batwings, but realized how week my rhomboids are, even with the specific upper back stuff. Wow.

Arien Malec
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
- I like batwings, but realized how week my rhomboids are, even with the specific upper back stuff. Wow.

I should try this as well. DJ is the man...

Derek Simonds
04-21-2011, 03:37 AM
I need to do them also.

Derek Weaver
04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Oddly enough, I wasn't really sore today like I thought I might be. I didn't see where DJ put any guidelines for frequency in though...

4/21/2011 Thursday
warm ups like usual: Foam roll and static stretch hams, ext/int rotators, hip flexors, calves. Arm circles and stuff get included too but I forget to put that in there.
Cook Hip Lift 3 x 10 sec hold + additional 2 x 10 for right side
Bird Dogs 3 x 10 sec hold/side
Side Plank/shortish lever 2 x 10sec/side
TRX Fall outs with a slightly more strenuous angle 2 x 10

TBDL 3 x 10 @ 155
1 Leg RDL 3 x 10/side @ 24 kg kb
GHR 1 x 6
Messed with some abz stuff for 2 x 10

Notes:
- So I guess I'll end up with some sort of linear type of progression on the TBDLs until I get to maybe 200 or so by 3 x 10. Not sure, as that's a long time to have that weight in the hands. Not sure what the pain free groin + strength/strength-endurance bench mark should be here.
- I think I will try and ride single leg stuff as long as I can. Good way to single out the glutes and hammies with all the sitting I do.
- Did a neural charge workout the other day before upper body (maybe 4-5 hours before) and felt pretty good. Not sure where the balance will be, or if I'll find it.
- On GHR's, I don't have a valslide or slide board to do hamstring curls as outlined in the Boyle approach, but I can do bridges on the TRX and GHR's, so I'll go 1x6, then 1x7 up to 10, then drop down to 2 x 6, then 2x7 etc. until I get on to something else or hit 3 x 10 and then start changing load and all.

Arien Malec
04-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Oddly enough, I wasn't really sore today like I thought I might be. I didn't see where DJ put any guidelines for frequency in though...

I've seen him schedule 3x week, or daily as part of a 40 day type program.

Derek Weaver
04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
That was one of my thoughts with the 40 day program, but I'm getting more upper back/pulling volume than just the batwings and didn't want to overdo it.

I figure I'll just toss an extra day of varying volume and intensity in to make it 2-3x/week

Arien Malec
04-22-2011, 07:47 AM
His mass gain program uses batwings as the main upper back movement (it does use barbell complexes, however, for more volume).

Derek Weaver
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Ahh, I see. I didn't pick that one up.

So, today is Horizontal Friday, which we all know means...... lots of rows, benches and push ups of course.

4/22/2011 Friday
A) Bench 6 x 3 @ 185, no pop today
A2) Batwings 5 x 4 @ 2 x 16 kg kbs (notes)
A3) 1 Arm TRX Rows 1 x 10/side, didn't like these
B1) Weighted Push up, Feet Elevated BW X 45 lb plate on back 1 x 10, elevated more, 3 x 8
B2) TRX Body Rows, horizontal body, pull lower on ribcage than batwings 4 x 8-12 with a hard squeeze on each rep.
C) Face Pulls + Ext Rotation 3 x 10, Steeper Angle 1 x 8

Notes:
- Apparently I hate my upper back
- No pop on benches so I bailed before getting overly fatigued in moved into push ups
- Was going to get some incline BP's but shoulder didn't like it today, so pushups it was.
- On Batwings, I forgot if it was 5x4, or 4 x 5, but I wanted 20 reps either way. These were much better today, may move to 20 kg kbs in next Friday and stick with 16's on Tuesday

Derek Weaver
04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
4/24/2011 Sunday (Happy Easter)
Easter BBQ.
"Workout": chase around and play hide and go seek, tag, basketball and every other kid game with 2, 4, and a 10 year old. total time approx. 120 minutes

Notes:
- Holy crap are little kids tiring. I am so sore and tired it's not funny. At all.
- I was there (not actually present in the delivery room) for all of these kids' births and it is insane seeing them grow up. Been friends with their parents and family for 20 years now and just can't get over that we're not the youngest generation anymore.

4/25/2011 Monday
Warm up:
Foam Roll + Static stretch all the hip muscles, and quads and hammies. Static stretch calves. 30 seconds on per side for 2-3 "reps"
cook hip lift x 3 x 10 sec
Bird Dog x 3 x 10 sec
Side Plank long lever 2 x 10 sec
TRX Fall Outs w/ More Challenging Angle 2 x 10

TBDL 175 x 3 x 10 reps
1 Leg RDL 24 kg 3 x 10 reps/leg
GHR 1 x 7 reps
3 x 8 sec Back Supported Crunches

Notes:
- Saw a link where the crunches were almost like an ab mat, but instead, just put your hands palm down your back, or roll a towel. Kind of helps develop a lever with no/minimal lumbar flexion.
- Gave the upper back a little rest. Just wanted to punch the clock today after yesterday.
- Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Derek Simonds
04-26-2011, 05:57 AM
There is something about an Easter egg hunt with kids that is just magical. Glad you had fun.

Derek Weaver
04-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Their grandfather, who just turned 50 so he's the young and ready to play grandpa (really cool) told them there was a golden egg with a $100 bill. Talk about a whirlwind. Turns out it was a $5.

Arien Malec
04-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Being a grandfather makes evil charming.

Derek Weaver
04-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it was pretty funny. the one who found the egg was a little pissed, but he got over it quickly.

4/26/2011 Tuesday
A) Bench 8x2 @ 185 (lost pop)
A2) Bat Wings 5 x 5 @ 2 x 16 kg kb (didn't mean to do 5x5, meant for 4 x 5)
A3) TRX Body row pulling low on rib cage 4 x 8 (staggered w/ bench, after bat wings)
B1) Feet Elevated Push up 4 x 8 BW + 45 lbs on back
B2) TRX Face Pull 4 x 12
C1) Blast Strap/TRX push ups 1 x 12
C2) IYT x 3 reps each, one time through.

Notes:
- this ended up being a pretty decent volume workout.
- My soon to be 15 year old dog woke me up repeatedly during the night for no good reason other than to pet him, then decided at 5 am once I'd finally been asleep for a whole hour in a row that he wanted to go outside to sniff around. Couldn't sleep for another hour after that and then had to get up to, you know, work and stuff. He's old, and doesn't see that well, but he acts and gets around like a dog half his age. And still knows how to piss me off like when he was just 1 or 2. Needless to day, I'm not real peppy today.

Derek Weaver
04-27-2011, 05:36 PM
4/27/2011 Wednesday
I'd forgotten I would log these neural charge workouts, so this is a log of one:
A) Hang Power Snatch x 3 @ 95 lbs
B) Band Pull down x 10-15 seconds
C) Vertical Jump x 3
D) Ply Push Up x 3-5

Notes:
Done 5 rounds through. I actually started feeling pretty peppy by the end of the fifth round.

This is all pretty goofy, and I realized that this stuff isn't all that different from WS4SB, but with Neural Charge stuff in to keep fresh. Well, that and Anaconda, Mag-10, Metabolic Drive, as much superfood as you can afford and possibly a touch of 'Var or D-Bol.

I am really slacking on that supplement list.

On a side note, anyone want to see a pretty cool website I've got together on auto restoration (http://www.autorestorationtips.org)? This is the kind of stuff I spend really odd hours doing.

It's put together using PLR and all, but the design and stuff is mine. I've got a bunch more, but this one was the most fun to put together. I'm doing some stuff in reverse on this one to see how things rank later on.

And yes, I did just give myself a backlink, but that wasn't really the intention of linking to the site.

Arien Malec
04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Nice design, clean layout. Could use better visual separation of the main content and the ad content -- I've been suit shopping to upgrade my wardrobe, and the men's fashion and autorestoration content sort of blend together. Rather odd :)

Derek Simonds
04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Three things.

1) I can feel you on the dog thing. 15 years is a ripe old age.
2) That golden egg deal is awesome and I will remember it for when I have grand kids
3) I like the site a lot. Interestingly enough I got a travel ad for Hilton Garden Inn. How did they know Arien was looking for suits and that I travel for a living... That is kind of spooky.

Arien Malec
04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Google knows.... Magic of cookies.

Derek Weaver
04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Google knows.... Magic of cookies.

Yes, google knows more about me than I do. It's freaky.

Three things.

1) I can feel you on the dog thing. 15 years is a ripe old age.
2) That golden egg deal is awesome and I will remember it for when I have grand kids
3) I like the site a lot. Interestingly enough I got a travel ad for Hilton Garden Inn. How did they know Arien was looking for suits and that I travel for a living... That is kind of spooky.

1) dog's a freaking nutjob still. He's part terrier and therefore somewhat manic. But he's still great, even if he has been waking me up for what seems like no reason other than to piss me off.
2) The golden egg is a long standing tradition among our families. I don't remember ever being told it was a $100 when it was really a $5 though...
3) Seriously, Google does know. I believe it's the DART cookie that figures out which ads to pitch to you. Most of the time it should be more relevant to the site you're on, but you may end up seeing an auto restoration ad on a hotels website later on. Thanks for the kind words on the design. The only intention so far with this one is to monetize with adsense. Still playing around with some layouts, but this one seems to be the cleanest.

Nice design, clean layout. Could use better visual separation of the main content and the ad content -- I've been suit shopping to upgrade my wardrobe, and the men's fashion and autorestoration content sort of blend together. Rather odd :)

Indeed. When I log into my admin account on the site, it switched the ads to local, bay area stuff. Some shop in Fremont is paying a good amount for adsense ads I guess. From here they dominate the banners.

Derek Simonds
04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
There are a couple of things that I need to talk to you about web wise. I will try and make time in May. Google is freaky fo sure...

Derek Weaver
04-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Sure, you can shoot me a PM or email too.

Derek Weaver
04-28-2011, 11:28 PM
4/28/2011 Thursday
Warm up: Foam roll ITB, hams, quads/hip flexors, T Spine etc.
Cook Hip lift 3 x 10 sec holds/side
Bird Dog 3 x 10 sec hold/side
Side Plank 2 x 10 (full length lever)
TRX Fall Out 2 x 10 (extended the angle a bit agai)

Trab Bar DL 3 x 10 @ 185
1 Leg RDL 1 x 10 @ 24 kg, 2 x 10 @ 32 kg
GHR 1 x 8
Supported CRUNCHES 3 x 10
IYT 1 x 3 reps each

Notes:
- Think I'm getting a cold.
- Laid off a bit on the upper back stuff due to soreness. The power snatches jacked my traps up even though they were real light.
- Slight groin discomfort today, means power snatches may have been a bad idea this soon after "feeling good". Jumps are probably okay.

Derek Weaver
05-02-2011, 04:35 PM
So I got a cold. Skipped upper workout on Friday, did nothing at all on weekend.

5/2/2011 Monday
Normal warm up stuff I've been doing
A) TBDL 3 x 10 @ 185
B) 1 Leg RDL 3 x 10 @ 32kg kb
C) GHR 1 x 10 couldn't remember if I did 1x9 last workout or not. Move to 2 x 6 next workout I guess
D) ABZ

Notes:
- After being constantly sick last year I dodged some nasty stuff this year until spring was upon us. Then I got this head cold. Even with regular dosing of Vitamin D, better sleep, even if at odd hours and overall less stress I got this from what seems like nowhere.
- Big bummer that I missed a bachelor party on Saturday. Booooooooo.
- Did the workout today to keep the hips/groin progressing and to get the blood flowing. Noticed that my balance was off and strength was okay. Didn't bother to make an actual progression the poundages, but wanted to keep the movements intact, so to speak.

Derek Weaver
05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Some gems from Anthony Colpo:
http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1461
http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1498

Hate to say it, but he works Robb on this one:
http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=932

He's got the same feel for tact and delivery as Lyle, which is either fantastic or a pox on the internet depending on which side you're on. I tend to be in the middle.

Derek Weaver
05-04-2011, 02:20 AM
5/3/2011 Tuesday
Still going real light as the head cold still isn't all the way clear. Fat Gripz came in today though so:

A) FB BP 5 x 5 @ 135
B) Bat Wings 5 x 5 @ 2 x 16kg kb's
C1) Weighted Push up 3 x 8 @ 45 lb plate, feet on ground
C2) Face Pull 3 x 12
D) "T's" Only 2 x 10

Notes:
- Feeling much better, but staying smart so I am not sick for this wedding on Saturday
- Crazy looking schedule for unrelated stuff the next couple days
- Fat Bar stuff is way different. Even more fatigue than I would expect in the BPs. More than if I was just dealing with a cold. FB stuff is quite a bit different, and that's just one exercise.
- May get some light squatting tomorrow to see how the hips, groin, shoulders and everything are. An assessment of sorts. Not sure though depending on time and schedule.

Derek Weaver
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
5/5/2011 Thursday
Warm up: Same as always
TBDL 3 x 10 @ 195
1 Leg RDL 3 x 10 @ 32 kg kb (notes)
GHR 2 x 6 with a hard squeeze
Abz stuff

Notes:
- Different ab stuff seems to be better than others. For instance, the stress the abs go under during something like chins or pull ups is a little more testy on the groin/lower ab area than a lower back supported crunch or curl up. Odd.
- TBDLs progressing and I may raise intensity and lower reps soon.
- Today, on the 1 leg rdls, I "felt" the exercise more than ever. Pretty stable from a rotary perspective, and the glutes and hams took a beating. I guess I was cheating before and didn't know it.

Derek Weaver
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
5/6/2011 Friday
Core Warm up like the other days, plus upper body mobility (t-spine ext + rot. arm circles elbow and wrist mobs)
Took a little spin with complexes so I can be a Superhero. I didn't write down the order of things and am pretty sure what follows isn't anything like what it's supposed to be. Even though Thibs said the program is more of an outline than a set in stone set up. I can't believe I've been messing with Tnation stuff.

A) 2 Phone Book Fat Bar BP x 3-5 @ 135 (FB changes presses so much it's nuts)
B) Speed BP x 3 @ 135
C) CGBP x 3-5 (5s all across) @ 185
D) TRX Push Ups x 10
E) Clapping Push ups x 5

Upper back stuff:
Chins to test if I can still do them and the ab/lower groinage x 3 x 10
Bat Wings 4 x 5
1 Arm TRX Rows 2 x 5
TRX "W's" 3 x 10

ABZ
Notes:
- Wanted to get a decent workout in as I'll be at a wedding that will be both formal and potentially as wild as anything can be tomorrow, then Mother's Day Brunch
- Cold finally feels like it's about 95% cleared. Hopefully this weekend doesn't mess me back up
- I failed on the Mag-10, so I guess I'm more like Aquaman than Superman. Damn. Lamest super hero ever.

Derek Weaver
05-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Wedding was awesome. The bride has been my friend for about 20 years now, and the groom has been my friend (and her boyfriend then fiancee) for almost 8. Two of my favorite people and I am really happy for them.

I stayed under control when it came to the OPEN BAR, for the most part. A couple of people I know were dangerously close to Mickey Rourke in Barfly. Rolling stag to weddings is over rated.

Here's where the ceremony was held, The Inn at Spanish Bay. Ceremony was around the other side of this building.
http://media3.justluxe.com/articles/images/news/InnSpanish_Bay.jpg
http://i1.bookcdn.com/data/Photos/LargePhoto2/56/5670/5670334/Pebble-Beach-The-Inn-At-Spanish-Bay-photos-Hotel.JPEG

Here's a link (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.pebblebeach.com/images/stories/meetings/inn-ballroom-gallery.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pebblebeach.com/meetings/the-inn-at-spanish-bay&usg=__VaPDyQlgDvf2FMddgNWcn3oROVE=&h=713&w=900&sz=139&hl=en&start=36&sig2=K9m9qqVNfC7zBoUFnNRXqQ&zoom=1&tbnid=ZbtKqEKKmAn0kM:&tbnh=145&tbnw=192&ei=aI7ITdrLIpO0sAPs4v2XAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dinn%2Bat%2Bspanish%2Bbay%26um%3D1%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D 634%26tbm%3Disch0%2C1609&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=623&page=4&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:36&tx=133&ty=70&biw=1024&bih=634) to the area right outside of the reception hall. Pics are a little big and are going to put a big enough drain on the bandwidth.

5/9/2011 Monday
TBDL 1 x 10 @ 135, 1 x 8 @ 185, 1 x 6 @ 205, 2 x 4 @ 225
Single Leg RDL contra lateral load 3 x 10/leg @ 32 kg kb
GHR 2 x 7
Ab stuff later

Notes:
- I forgot to log before that all the single leg stuff has been a contra lateral load.
- Time to start increasing intensity a bit. Looking to keep volume similar and top sets are still only done to an RPE of maybe 6. As I get to a higher RPE, volume will obviously drop off.

Derek Weaver
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
5/10/2011 Tuesday
4 times through w/ 60-90 sec rest.
Board Press (magazine rolled and duct taped) x 3 @ 185
Bench x 5 @ 185
Speed Bench x 5 @ 135
TRX blast strap style push up x 6-8
Clap Push up x 5

Bat wings 4 x 5 @ 16kg
Chins 4 x 10 @ bw
Neutral Grip Band Pull downs 3 x 15

Notes:
- Felt very unstrong today.
- For some reason, my elbows were bothered by the horizontal pulling, so I went with chins and felt good. That's a victory given the stress and strain that can happen on the groin/lower ab area.

Derek Weaver
05-13-2011, 01:31 AM
5/12/2011 Thursday
TBDL 2 x 10 @ 135 @ low handles, then high handles: 1 x 10 @ 185, 1 x 8 @ 205, 1 x 6 @ 225, 2 x 4 @ 235
1 Leg RDL (contralateral load) 3 x 10/leg @ 24 kg kb
2 x 8 GHR
Ab Stuff

Notes:
- Normal warm up with the foam rolling, static stretching etc. Doing this everyday whether I'm working out or not.
- My plan is that by the time I pull 300+ on the trap bar to declare myself more or less healed (assuming no pain comes up next day) and shift training a little.
- Since I am a little superstitious, I am not benching tomorrow. Planning on going to buy some chains to make loading chins/pull ups and push ups and other BW stuff a little easier. Buying from hardware store instead of online. Hopefully if the local shop has them they'll be even cheaper.

Arien Malec
05-13-2011, 08:29 AM
- My plan is that by the time I pull 300+ on the trap bar to declare myself more or less healed (assuming no pain comes up next day) and shift training a little.

Headed in the right direction!

- Planning on going to buy some chains to make loading chins/pull ups and push ups and other BW stuff a little easier. Buying from hardware store instead of online. Hopefully if the local shop has them they'll be even cheaper.

Plus, chains with pull/pushups just looks plain badass.

Derek Weaver
05-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Plus, chains with pull/pushups just looks plain badass.

And that's the most important part.

Couldn't get to the right store today. I think the local spot by my house has got what I need. Everything else was 3/8" at most. From Elite FTS' site the 5/8" are 20 lbs @ 5'. I'd like a round number for the weight if possible.

5/13/2011 Friday
A) Push Up 4 x 12 @ BW+45lb weight on back
A2) Bat Wing 4 x 6 @ 2 x 16 kg kb
C) Chins 3 x 10

Notes:
- Was going to hang the punching bag to test how it felt to throw a punch, but by the time I got done wrestling it and figuring out how to rehang it, I was over it. Tomorrow will be interesting. If I wake up without any discomfort tomorrow after messing with that thing I should be good.
- I am going to try and add in some sort of energy systems stuff a couple days per week. Right when I got hurt was when I was starting to really enjoy it all. I was running, then got shin splints. Swimming and then got this groin thing.

Derek Simonds
05-14-2011, 04:12 AM
I need to get chains. That is all.

Derek Weaver
05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
FYI, chains in a big enough size are difficult to find. 5/8", according to Elite FTS are 20 lbs/5 feet. Good luck finding anything bigger than 3/8" at a hardware store, even the local shops. And I don't want to pay $130 or so to order them from the internet.

For now, it's loading a backpack or a weight plate on the back until I can figure something out.

5/16/2011 Monday
Normal warm up/mobility/core stuff
TBDL up to 2x 4 @ 255- easy peazy
1 Leg RDL/SLDL 3 x 10/side @ 32kg kb, contralateral load
GHR 2 x 8
ABZ

Notes:
- I feel like the better I get at the one leg stuff, the harder it gets
- Went to a quincenera on Saturday. Odd stuff. I hadn't been to one in over ten years. Went ahead and got hammered so I wouldn't feel left out. Poor sleep afterwards, then insomnia Sunday night. Gave my Dad a ride to the airport at 6:45, when I fell asleep around 5 am. Ouch.

5/17/2011 Tuesday
A1) Bench Press 3 x 5, 5, 8 @ 185
A2) Bat Wings 4x6 2 x 16 kg
B1) Loaded Push up 3 x 10 45 lb plate on back
B2) Chins 3 x 10

Notes:
- Meh. Still tired after a total of maybe 5 hours of sleep the previous two nights.

A note on training:
It has been a little since I wrote down my thoughts on working out or training or whatever we're going to call it.

My shoulders have been acting up, and it's not just those stupid freaking complexes. Complexes are cool, but I was wondering the first time I went through it if it is a great idea to put like 5 exercises in succession like that. For shoulders like mine, I would say "not so much".

I'm trying to look at ways to avoid surgery on the left shoulder, since the right side already has been scoped, 8 years ago. Vertical pressing is more or less out at this time. Horizontal pressing is nice, but I need to be sure to incorporate enough closed chain stuff to balance it out. Lots of horizontal pulling too.

I saw a good blog by Tony Gentilcore (http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/only-four-exercises) a little while ago that I thought was interesting.
If you only had 4 exercises, which would they be? Much better than those idiotic "If you could only do one exercise" questions since you get a little more balance etc.

Either way, I'm with Tony on DL's (TBDL fits fine for me. I love my trap bar), loaded push ups and from there, I don't know. Maybe rows, and hill runs with the occasional hill sprint. Maybe sled work and chins?

Either way, I can see myself getting past the complicated training bug I tend to have, and focusing on a variation of only a few exercises each workout. Sometimes being a little more explosive, sometimes a lot heavier. The answer to the question of "How do I get a little bigger, stronger, and stay feeling like I can be athletic if I want/need to be?"

I have no sport, and trying to train like I have one is a bad idea. I tend to break down easily these days, so injury prevention is needed. And I need bang for the buck kind of stuff. Maybe a pulling sled, chins (loaded if need be), push ups (loaded) and maybe even something like KB snatches and TBDLs could make for a pretty decent program. That's 5 exercises, or pieces of equipment, but I don't see too much wrong with it.

To be continued.

Arien Malec
05-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Maybe a break is what you need? When I got back from Europe I could suddenly snatch again. (Everything else went to hell, but the shoulder was fine again). Random bits of your body going bad seems like a sign....

Derek Weaver
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Shoulder is/was related to overhead pressing. I started feeling all this trying to push press/press. I feel pretty good from a systemic breakdown stand point.

Too much sitting at a computer (unavoidable right now) has made for a bad experience pressing a barbell overhead.

I've gotten hurt easily all my athletic life, what I think is the result of being the small guy on the court, field and in the ring. It's been worse since CF, which means... maybe I need a bit more corrective exercise. Gotta stabilize a bit again.

I start doing stability work (TGU, RKC arm bars- been a really long time on this, single leg stuff) start to get better, and forget about it.

Arien Malec
05-20-2011, 08:10 AM
I start doing stability work (TGU, RKC arm bars- been a really long time on this, single leg stuff) start to get better, and forget about it.

Yep. It's been a while since I've done the shoulder rehab stuff or the mobility/tissue quality/pain ball stuff, even though it felt so good when I was doing it. Stupid humans :)

Derek Weaver
05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I should have said more of a corrective focus. Meaning more push ups, less benching. More spider crawls (recent demo in the Livespill on T-Nation), band pull aparts, upper back work in general. Basically the lower body set up I have been doing, but for the upper body.

A few tweaks and I should be good I think.

And yes, very stupid humans. I am the king of "It sounded like a good idea at the time..." Except it was a horrible idea.

Samuel Hughes
05-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Too much sitting at a computer (unavoidable right now) has made for a bad experience pressing a barbell overhead.

consider getting a desk you can stand at? makes a huuuge difference in your BMR and improves your workouts tremendously when you stand all day. I noticed this when I switched from a desk job to a restaurant job

Derek Weaver
05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
consider getting a desk you can stand at? makes a huuuge difference in your BMR and improves your workouts tremendously when you stand all day. I noticed this when I switched from a desk job to a restaurant job

Not too doable to get one of those desks right now. Definitely on the future agenda though. Good thought and I appreciate it though.

5/21/2011 Saturday
Light workout for several reasons
A) CGBP 185 x 3 x 5
A2) Bat Wings 4 x 6 @ 2 x 16 kg kb
B) Chins 3 x 12
B2) Push Ups 2 x 15
Band pull aparts x infinity

Notes:
- So, I have dealt with insomnia all my life to some extent, but nothing real terrible. I mean, I sleep every night, even if it is only for a few hours. It comes and goes in bursts of sleeplessness, and in general is not too bad. Except for Thursday night/Friday morning when I didn't sleep. At all. Finally got up at 7 am, took my dog out side, drank a cup of coffee and got to work. Wrote some articles, built some backlinks to a few websites I own and run, and then at around 3 pm I finally got sleepy. Slept for about 90 minutes, then could not sleep again on Friday. Slept from 5 am Saturday to 11 am Saturday. Could not sleep last night either, but finally slept all the way through close to 8 hours to an hour I would rather not state. Haven't been asleep at that time of day since I was in college after some craziness.

Now, my schedule appears to be all turned around even worse than usual. this is going to be interesting.

Derek Simonds
05-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Well that sucks on the sleep side of it. Good luck getting back on track.

Derek Weaver
05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
yeah, sleep has always been an off and on nemesis of mine. Last weekend was odd. Slept well last night and felt pretty good today.

5/23/2011 Monday
A) TBDL 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 3, 295 x 2, 305 x 1. Then 3 x 1 @ 305 on the minute. Why? Don't know
B) 1 Leg RDL 3 x 10/leg contralateral load @ 24 kg kb
C) GHR 2 x 10

Heavy bag by 3 x 2 real easy and light rounds.

Notes:
- Felt good so I went up to 300+ today. First time in a long time I have had 300 lbs in my hands. Not something to normally celebrate, but I seem to be healthy and healed from the groin, lower back is getting a lot better feeling also.

Derek Weaver
05-24-2011, 05:51 PM
5/24/2011 Tuesday
Started with heavy bag work. 15 minutes, no rounds, just work on something for a while, shake it out, work on the next. Worked jab exclusively both orthodox and southpaw. Single, double and triple jabs. Then worked 1-2's. Then inside, back to jabs, jabbing out etc.

Light work upper body:
Chins 4 x 10
Push ups 4 x 12
Band pull aparts: a lot

Notes:
- Forgot these gloves are a little worn down and the padding on my right hand, the power hand, is shot. They feel fine when they are on, but once you get to work.... Hands got sore so I stopped when I did. need to look into gloves again.
- Didn't feel like anything more for the upper body.

Derek Weaver
05-26-2011, 03:35 AM
Insomnia.

Forgot, I decided to get the PLP thing from Tbag as a try.

Started Monday @ 10 Push up, 10 Reverse Lunge, 10 Chins (pull ups sometimes)

Tuesday: 11
Wednesday: 12
Thursday: 13

Done as a "seperate or extra workout" preferably 6 hours before or after normal one.

If my joints get achy I'll stop. Check in to see how stupid this may be. Or not. Maybe I will try something on myself and it won't turn out to be stupid.

I remember when Gant used to make himself the guinea pig...

Derek Weaver
05-27-2011, 10:42 PM
4/26/2011 Thursday
A) TBDL 3s and 5s up to 315 x 4 x 1- lower back a little off but the 4th was the best rep. odd
B) 1 Leg RDL 3 x 10 @ 24 kg kb, contralateral load
C) GHR 2 x 10
Abz

Heavy bag just enough to test a couple different hand wrapping approaches.

PLP: 13
Notes:
- Nothing really to add. Felt pretty good by the end of the TBDLs

Derek Weaver
05-27-2011, 10:49 PM
4/27/2011 Friday
A1) CGBP 135 x 7, 155 x 7, 175 x 5 x 2 sets, 185 x 5 x 3 sets
A2) Bat Wings 2 x 16 kg kb (hard hold at top) x 6 x 7 sets- one for each bp set
Band Pull Aparts- lots
ABZ
Heavy Bag maybe 10 minutes working jabs, the 1-2s, then hook combos, inside etc. Not a lot of stuff. Knuckle on right hand got a little tender. Back at it Monday. Looking for 3-4 days on the heavy bag per week or so.

PLP: 14
Notes:
- I figured out I lose track of reps over maybe 12-15. This makes counting pull aparts and stuff tough.
- May be time to break out the jump rope tomorrow. Got to start getting a little bit of weight off the frame.

First weekend for something like 6 weeks that I don't have somewhere to be, and I am going to do nothing all weekend. It's usually a good thing to have places to be, and people to be with, but time off is nice too. 3 day weekend...

Arien Malec
05-28-2011, 03:08 PM
First weekend for something like 6 weeks that I don't have somewhere to be, and I am going to do nothing all weekend. It's usually a good thing to have places to be, and people to be with, but time off is nice too. 3 day weekend...

Indeed. I'm specializing in Negroni this weekend.

Derek Weaver
05-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Interesting call on the Negroni. I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard someone mention that, but somehow I knew what it was.... Maybe someone at the wedding mentioned it or was drinking it before we sat down for the reception. Things were a little hazy...

4/28/2011
No jump rope. Left ankle gets stiff sometimes, and occasionally even feels a little swollen inside. Can't figure out what causes it, and it is not that common at all. Maybe a little arthritic. May skip tomorrow or take tomorrow off too and look to get going on Monday.

PLP: 15

Arien Malec
05-29-2011, 09:47 AM
What's PLP?

Negroni is a good hot weather cocktail. It wasn't exactly hot weather yesterday (rained here by the Bay) but whatever.

1 pt. Gin, 1 pt. sweet vermouth (I've discovered the secret to kick ass Negroni is high end vermouth), 1 pt. Campari., twist of orange peel.

Derek Weaver
05-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Also used as a pre dinner drink correct? It rained out here too. Our new weather girl on NBC has lots going for her but predicting the weather isn't one of those things.

Plp is a Chad Waterbury thing. Start day one at 10 each push up. Reverse lunge. Pull up. Add one each day for 60. Odds are this won't end well.

Arien Malec
05-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes -- aperitif. Today looks to be much more appropriate, so will have to repeat the experiment until I get it right.

Right, PLP was the one that guaranteed fat loss and muscle gain, right? Or was that the other t-nation article? Hard to keep track.

It's not a bad basic program; decent as a lead-in program or a way to get additional volume without grinding yourself into the ground. Self limiting, unless you get all Crossfit about.

Derek Weaver
05-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes, PLP will certainly make me look like Arnold without the pharmaceuticals. It's a good little thing to add in. I have read around a bit and some older school stuff that I used to read all had a similar thread of something like 50 push ups, sit ups and squat thrusts or something like it.

4/29/2011
PLP 16

Derek Weaver
05-30-2011, 06:51 PM
4/30/2011 Monday
A) TBDL 5's and 3's up to 305 where I went x 2, x 3, x 3 all with a few reps in the tank
B) 1 Leg RDL Contralateral Load 3 x 10 @ 24 kg kb
C) GHR x 10
D) Reverse Hyper 2 x 10
E1) 1 Arm BP at DB Handle + 50 - 3 x 8
E2) 1 Arm Row @ DB Handle + 50 - 3 x 8

PLP: 17

Notes:
- Am I proud and ready to tell everyone I pulled 305 for easy trips? Nope. Am I happy I did it without pain of any sort? Yes.
- Trying to switch things around a little bit. Have some training stuff I want to get done.
- Tomorrow, if the ankle feels okay, I will get some light "hill run outs" to begin getting on the road and running a bit. It'll be something like 100m, but done at a 20-25 sec. pace, walk back etc. If not, then lazy swings to avoid aggravating groin/lower abs.
- I realized that the stress from life is easily off set by the stress from training if the training is correct. By correct, I mean, if I can box a bit. Nobody to spar with, and my Dad does okay working focus mitts. I have my heavy bag and a speed bag that we never really used in Muay Thai. Between being able to keep my weight where I like it, the hands somewhat sharp, and the stress relief it could be a good way to go.
- Now to see if my hands will hold up.

Derek Weaver
05-31-2011, 07:27 PM
4/31/2011 Tuesday
Heavy Bag 4 x 3 minute rounds. Worked jabs and 1-2's first round. Then concentrated on inside work. Lots of power shots.

KB Breathing Ladder 1-10 @ 16 kg kb (light)
Snatches 2 x 10 + 10 @ 16 kg

PLP: 18

Notes:
- Ankle stiff still, but a little better. Still, not chancing it with rope skipping or running yet.
- Hands felt pretty good. I have been modifying the ribbon wrap a little to give some extra padding to my knuckles. I have a little tweak to the wrapping AFTER I ribbon the wrap over my knuckles that seems to stabilize my hands a bit. Still tweaking and figuring the best wrap.
- Tomorrow, we'll see if I can get the speed bag going. Should be *fun

*not fun. humiliating.

Arien Malec
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
- Am I proud and ready to tell everyone I pulled 305 for easy trips? Nope. Am I happy I did it without pain of any sort? Yes.

No pain is good, whatever the weight.

Derek Weaver
06-02-2011, 03:42 AM
No pain is good, whatever the weight.

Yes. I had some interesting stuff going on, but it looks like slowly but surely I am getting less weak. And doing it with no pain is very good.

PLP: 19

Insomnia: check

On a side note:
I decided to start this site as a pet project that I would like to work towards building into an authority. It only has the welcome post and a couple little odd things in there to get indexed by google a little quicker: http://www.howtopunchharder.net/ (http://www.howtopunchharder.net)

Eventually, I would like to expand it into other things, but for now, working on boxing and MMA striking. Obviously, I'll have the initial content specific just to punching harder.

Either way, if anyone that may stop in and reads this is interested in eventually writing something regarding martial arts and boxing (S&C, techniques etc) , leave me a note or PM. It'll be a good long while, but it may be kind of fun.

My big thing is to get it to the top of google by my birthday.

Derek Weaver
06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
6/2/2011 Thursday
A) TBDL up to 310 x 3 - nudging along progress
B) 1 Arm BP 3 x 8 @ db handle + 50
C1) 1 Leg RDL contralateral load 3 x 10 @ 24kg kb
C2) DB Row 3 x 8 @ db handle + 50
Finished with a couple sets of ghrs at 10 reps each

Worked the bag to test the hand and a couple things out. Hand felt alright, but I was kind of tired from lack of sleep and lifting.

PLP: 20
Notes:
- I was going to experiment with switching exercise pairings and ended up wasting some time doing straight sets on TBDLs and 1 arm BP
- Lots of work to do, so that's all for now.

Kevin Perry
06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Cool little project you have there, I've always wanted to learn how to build websites.

Good progress overall

Derek Weaver
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks Kevin. Websites aren't too tough to build out, but customizing things can get a little harrowing. It's a cool business, but it takes a long time to get visitors and sell stuff, and I could really use a pick up in business soon.

With regards to training, I'm just trying to hold the course, not reinjure myself and keep things right.

Boxing and the martial arts were my first sporting loves, all the way back to when I was just a little boy, maybe 4 or 5 years old. Trying to mix the iron work with bag work and the like. We'll see if I can get in good enough shape. I'm ruuuuuuuusty though.

Edit:
PLP: 21

Derek Weaver
06-04-2011, 06:33 PM
6/3/2011 Friday
PLP: 21

6/4/2011 Saturday
Bag 5 rounds x 3 minutes-
Rd1: Jabs and crosses: focused on doubling and tripling the jab. Pace fast but slow enough to prevent tech. breakdown
Rd2: Incorporated hooks. Jab-Hook, J-H-C, H-C-H etc.
Rd3: Focused on jabbing out of combinations
Rd4: Inside work starting at the body
Rd5: Inside work moving top to bottom on each combo
3 x 30 sec Speed punching.

PLP: 22

Notes:
- Wanted to keep going, but hands got sore.

Arien Malec
06-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Classic Weavering, but it's looking like a nice program. How's the conditioning on the bag work?

Derek Weaver
06-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Classic Weavering, but it's looking like a nice program. How's the conditioning on the bag work?

Whoa. This is far from Classic Weavering. It's more like a Weaver Myself 2.0 project. I have a direction I'm trying to head in, just kind of hazy on the way to get going.

Just messing around.

I previously jumped in and out of things every 3 or so weeks. I just finished up way more than that on the lower body stuff for the groin/lower ab strain or whatever it was. Set a point for progression, recently hit it and am moving forward. slowly.

I regularly drift back towards boxing/MA. had a hard time getting it going again in the last couple years, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. Plus, the shoulders and all had gotten a little touchy from the barbell stuff. 1 arm work is a nice switch up. I have some theories on this. Dan John has already theorized on it all I am sure. T Nation and his blog have featured articles I think. I know T Nation had an article on this (single limb stuff) from him.

Bag work is good. Rusty as hell, and my hands are still a bit sore. I do at least some of the PLP push ups on my knuckles or finger tips and that seems to be helping. I guess a stronger fist or something. Better clinch. I dunno.

Ankle's still stiff, so I may end up hopping in the freezing cold pool to get "road work" in. Don't want to hurt a calf or Achilles. No reason to rush things.

PLP: 23 by the way.

Derek Weaver
06-06-2011, 06:32 PM
6/6/2011 Monday
A) TBDL up to a reasonable 345 x 1, back down to 295 x 3 x 2 reps
B1) 1 Arm BP handle Plus 60 lbs 3 x 6
B2) 1 Arm Row Handle Plus 60 lbs 3 x 8
C) GHR 3 x 6

PLP: 24

edit: Taking a break @ 3 am and found this. http://www.fittwarehouse.com/?tag=nail-push-up-handles

May be a cool DIY project sometime so I can never use them.

Notes
- Was going to ramp up the activity a touch more today but had some unexplained soreness. Not sore at all yesterday from the bag work. In fact, I rarely have soreness from the bag except for my hands.
- Went ahead and skipped single leg work today. i'll live.

Derek Weaver
06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
6/7/2011 Tuesday
Heavy Bag 4 rounds x 3 minutes- mixed it up

Rope Skips 3 x 100 hops w/ ~1 minute rest

PLP: 25

Notes:
- Worked another wrapping style to protect the knuckles, which made far more of a pad, but sacrificed a bit at the wrist. Tweaked the right wrist, nothing bad and I don't feel it at all now, but I decided to be smart.
- Looks like I'll have to use a sponge as a knuckle pad so I can still get a good wrap at the wrist.
- Rope skips.... working my way up very slowly. Been doing AIS 2x/day on the ankles/calves and the left ankle that is usually a bit stiff and locked up has been better, so I gave it a shot today. Try to get some rope skipping in 4-5x/week.
- Never missed a skip though... Don't know if I'll get my skillz all the way back w/ the rope, but it is kind of fun just to jump.

Derek Simonds
06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
It is fun to jump rope. By the way check out this post. http://www.wimsblog.com/2011/06/video-update-conditioning-for-more-power-in-your-techniques/

Derek Weaver
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for that link. How did I not know about that site?

I used to be pretty good at skipping. Not like Buddy Lee or Floyd Mayweather Jr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2Vrg1Y25c), but I could skip a little.

Crossing my fingers I hold up and can keep going. Stress levels are much better when I have a workout schedule like this.

Arien Malec
06-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Buddy Lee. That brings back memories.

Derek Weaver
06-08-2011, 09:08 PM
One of the least douchey things Crossfit did was get someone in there to teach people how to jump rope. As odd as it sounds. It was always surprising when people come into the gym for the beginners Muay Thai classes and couldn't get more than 2 or 3 skips, then would start jumping harder, and spinning the rope faster, and destroying their toes.

Buddy Lee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHjnfABvhw)

Edit: plp26

Derek Weaver
06-09-2011, 11:38 PM
6/9/2011 Wednesday
A) TBDL up to a couple doubles @ 295. Something didn't feel right so this is where I called it
B1) 1 Arm BP DB handle +50 lbs 3 x 8
B2) 1 Arm Row " 3 x 8

Shadow box and shake the tension out for ~12 minutes

Heavy Bag 4 x 3 minutes kept it fairly easy and moved the whole time. Second two rounds southpaw. Snap coming back on punches.

PLP: 27
ABZ

Notes:
- Dropped the single leg and GHRs today. Lower body just kind of felt like it had it. Pretty light on the weights today.
- I feel like bracing myself on the bench and really focusing on keeping stable on the 1 arm BPs is much more difficult than advertised. I had a little movement before, and so I dropped the weight back down a couple pounds and focused on not letting myself rotate or wiggle on the bench and now my torso is very sore already.

Eduardo Chile
06-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Is your lifting geared more towards improving your boxing and staying healthy at the moment? Seems pretty neat.

I would like to skip for some of my cardio workouts!

Derek Weaver
06-10-2011, 02:39 PM
More health than anything. The trap bar is easier on my back, and I am still recovering over the last 12 weeks or so from a pretty nasty groin and lower ab thing. So, some stuff is getting the lower body and torso back to working right.

Skipping is awesome and can be real fun once you get good. I am not very good right now.

Derek Weaver
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
6/10/2011 Friday
PLP: 28

Derek Weaver
06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
6/11/2011 Saturday
Bag 4 x 4 minute rounds
Skipping 2 x 2 minute rounds

PLP: 29

Notes:
- Slept til 2. Up late last night working and saw the sun rise for the 4th time in 6 days.
- Threw an overhand right hand as I was slipping on the ground (going barefoot from now on until I get the surface worked out) and overextended the elbow. A little sore, but no real damage I don't think.
- I came across this free little tool that seems to make promotions much easier to handle. We shall see how things work out.

Derek Simonds
06-12-2011, 05:15 AM
Ouch on the elbow.

Derek Weaver
06-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah, it didn't feel good. Feels fine today though. Dodged a bullet.

Arien Malec
06-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Nice steady work on the PLP

Derek Weaver
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
6/12/2011
Plp: 30

Derek Weaver
06-14-2011, 04:27 AM
6/13/2011 Monday
PLP: 31

Notes:
- Limiting it to bag work, PLP, and whatever conditioning and extra activity I can muster. I need a mental and I think physical break from anything really iron related.
- Having a little funkiness with the knees. I should probably address the ITB, quads, hip flexors and calves. I do air squats for PLP as they are a little more knee friendly than lunging, and got a lot of pops.
- Bout to see the sun come up from my desk again....

Derek Weaver
06-14-2011, 06:12 PM
6/14/2011 Tuesday
Heavy Bag 4 x 3 min rounds on, 2 rounds as part of warm up, about 10 minutes shadow boxing to warm up before that.

PLP: 32
Abz later

Derek Weaver
06-16-2011, 01:36 AM
6/15/2011 Wednesday
PLP: 33

Derek Weaver
06-17-2011, 01:23 AM
6/16/2011 Thursday
PLP: 34

Derek Weaver
06-18-2011, 04:35 PM
6/17/2011 Friday
PLP: 35

Derek Weaver
06-19-2011, 01:56 PM
6/18/2011 Friday
PLP: 36

Arien Malec
06-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Like a machine with the PLP. How's it going?

Derek Weaver
06-19-2011, 07:34 PM
PLP is... going. I have a little bit of joint discomfort at times. And I have begun to break the workouts into multiple low rep sets. So 36 was 6 x 6 of each workout done in a (leisurely, non CF type) circuit.

I figure north of 40 reps it may end up needing to be broken up into 2 sessions. Not sure what the rest of my workouts will look like. My hips actually move a bit again though doing the air squats. I have been stretching, but this has re-enforced (again) the need to maintain movement patterns. No point in lengthening a tissue if you won't use that length, I guess.

Upper arms and upper back seem a touch bigger. not really any leaner because I am eating more than i should with my screwed up lack of a pattern and normal sleep schedule.

Looks like a corner may be about to be turned again soon though, which should hopefully offer more breathing room and an opportunity to not see the sun rise before I go to sleep.

Derek Weaver
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
6/19/2011 Sunday
PLP: 37 (felt good today)

6/20/2011
TBDL x 1/2/3 x 3 @ 225
BP x 1/2/3 x 3 @ 155

Heavy Bag: approx 15 minutes just throwing a bit, then not. No round timers. Wanted to test my hand as I bruised a knuckle again last wee.

Notes:
- PLP later on @ 37 + band pull aparts for upper back/ext rotation/shoulder health
- After no lifting the only way I could help make sure I didn't do something stupid was to do ladders. May do these for a while. Not sure how much I'll be lifting as I actually started feeling pretty good towards the end of last week without the iron. Don't want to waste away, but an eye on orthopedic health is becoming more of a priority.
-If I didn't have such a habit of hurting myself and doing stupid things, none of the above would be an issue. Desk work is bad for all this stuff too.

Arien Malec
06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm liking ladders as well -- good way to autoregulate with some upper bounds on foolishness.

Derek Weaver
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Yup. I started real light on both after the week off and am somewhat sore today.

If I don't put reins on myself, I will blow out again. And again. Between the sitting (low back) and the normal weight room stupidity, I have begun to realize that volume over intensity on a workout basis may be a good idea. Happy to be learning this while in my 20s instead of later on.

Now to not forget this stuff again down the line.

Derek Weaver
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
6/21/2011
PLP: 39

Notes:
- Starting to get the occasional knot. Dug one out with a lacrosse ball earlier in the mid back. Got another one on either side of my elbow. Feel good otherwise, and it feels like muscle stuff rather than connective tissues. We'll see how things go. It'll be interesting in another 10-15 days or so when I get up over 50/day.

Arien Malec
06-22-2011, 11:43 AM
This is #1 on the list of things I forget. Or farmer's walks. Or... But probably this.

Hit my upper back/ribs with the pain ball the other day and it was like I'd never started doing it before. Noticed that I was becoming slightly kephotic. Why'd I stop? Because it all felt better.

Derek Weaver
06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
This is #1 on the list of things I forget. Or farmer's walks. Or... But probably this.

Hit my upper back/ribs with the pain ball the other day and it was like I'd never started doing it before. Noticed that I was becoming slightly kephotic. Why'd I stop? Because it all felt better.

Yes, I do this with everything that makes me feel better. Once I feel better, I usually stop, or am not as vigilant.

6/22/2011 Wednesday
PLP: 40

Maybe hit the bag later on. Left wrist is a little tweaked.

Derek Simonds
06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I am so knotted up in the upper back I can't stop. Soon a taper maybe, please... until then pain ball and me are close.

Derek Weaver
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
So many trigger points on my right leg.... I am developing a relationship with the pain ball and my quads and hip flexors on my right leg like it sounds like you are with your back.

6/23/2011
TBDL 235 x 3 x 1/2/3
BP 135 x 3 x 1/2/3 (notes on this one)

Punching Bag for maybe 10 minutes just throwing random combos. Testing the hand and wrist. Felt good.

edit: plp = 41
Notes:
- Bench felt unstable and fatigued. Presumably from the PLP stuff. Since I workout alone, I kept this at 135 just to get reps in. Very sleep deprived.

Derek Weaver
06-25-2011, 01:00 PM
6/24/2011
Plp: 42

Derek Weaver
06-25-2011, 06:01 PM
6/25/2011
Heavy Bag around 20 minutes. Kind of a LSD bag workout. Trying to work a bit more footwork, but I am still rusty and work on my own, so things are slow to come back without some pointers. Start slow, begin to speed up.

PLP: 43 (done throughout the day)

Derek Weaver
06-27-2011, 04:58 PM
6/26/2011 Sunday
PLP: 44

6/27/2011 Monday
TBDL @ 245 x 1/2/3 x 3
Bench (phone book) 170 x 1/2/3 x 3 (real short rest)
Bands and stuff for shoulders/balance

PLP: 45 done throughout day. 5 sets x 9 reps
Pool "running" 15 minutes
Notes:
- I know I should probably get other horizontal pulling other than bands, but my elbow flexors are fatigued to where I don't really want to. I realized that my elbows would probably give out before my upper back if I were to work it every day. That still rings true.
- Ankle being stiff off and on makes me less excited about skipping and running on any surface. Took to the water and got to moving. Treaded water at a fast pace like a sprint, then chill a little. Do that off and on, but just keep moving. Better than nothing I guess.
- Still a little hesitant for real swimming and kicking stuff w/ the groin. I feel strong and healthy, but it was rather unpleasant, and it'll be a while before I amp up for anything that may affect that area again.

Derek Weaver
06-29-2011, 01:45 AM
6/28/2011 Tuesday
Heavy Bag: 4 x 3 minute rounds.

PLP: 46

Notes:
- Settled down a touch. Since I am reasonably stressed pretty much all the time, I tend to go hog wild on the bag. Not a huge deal except I kept bruising my knuckles.
Working a little more speed and technique has loosened up my punches again and also resulted in a bit more power. Bag's a swingin'. Even though I seem to be punching harder, my hands feel much better.
- PLP is getting to the point that I feel like I may be developing some overuse stuff. A slight feeling of what I would guess is tendonitis on the left elbow (both sides) and pretty much constant ache through my entire upper back. We'll see if it subsides. Hope it does. 23 more days to go and I am noticing that my arms do seem a touch bigger (don't really care to be honest), and sometime chin sets are freakishly easy depending on how fresh I feel on that day.

Arien Malec
06-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Nice on the bag work. It's amazing how the nervous system kicks in and remembers after a while.

Derek Weaver
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, what I think has held me back a bit is that a) I have nobody to work mitts, so things are a little different. Tough to go hog wild if someone is working the mitts for you, but easy to go nuts on a bag.

The other is that most of my work had been out of a Muay Thai stance with the defensive posture along the Crazy Monkey Defense lines. Trying to work a bit more of a boxing stance has also changed things a little. Not sure that's a great idea since, I'm not planning on getting in a ring since I am moving further away from age 20, even though I'm not even close to middle age yet.

Derek Weaver
06-30-2011, 12:25 AM
6/29/2011 Wednesday
Light Bag work for about 20 minutes. Just got to work. Right hand got a touch sore.

PLP: 47

Notes:
- Light workout in general to get blood flowing.

Beware: A touch political to follow.
Non training related, but Gov. Moonbeam signed a series of laws today, one being that Amazon (and other online retailers) must begin charging CA sales tax, even though they are not CA businesses (borderline unconstitutional). This is not good for anybody, no matter what he, or our backwards State Assembly and Senate, says. The thinking is that by charging taxes, the state can raise an additional $300 million. The only thing is that now myself, and countless others who conduct online business have had their affiliate accounts terminated. So not only has Amazon lost a ton of affiliates (who refer a TON of business for them), but they lost a ton of people who just won't shop from them because of the price increase with the associated taxes. The nightly news had a girl on who said she probably won't do much, if any, shopping online anymore since there is no advantage. Consumer spending from the big retailers doesn't figure to pick up as much either because people will have the chance to rethink their purchases before they make them.

It's a lose-lose.

I only made 4% of every sale, but it added up and was my most consistent stream of income. Nobody became a billionaire from Amazon sales, except Amazon, but it is a chunk of cash the state just took out of a lot of people's pockets.

I have been looking and trying to move for a couple years now, but it's getting to be high time to try and make a run for it whether things "seem right" or not. Any suggestions? Austin, TX is at the top of my list, and hopefully before the end of the year, I'll be living elsewhere.

I'm pretty worked up and pissed off, so I'll end this before I get myself banned if I haven't already.

Derek Simonds
06-30-2011, 06:27 AM
Your log your feelings and I don't think you are expressing anything that is that controversial. Our company is in FL and we have done work in CA for over 17 years. 2 years ago they came after us in an unpaid sales tax lawsuit that ended up costing us a significant amount to prove that we were in compliance with their laws.

As states revenue continue to drop from lower tax bases and the challenges are economies are facing they are going to get ever more aggressive looking for revenue.

Austin is a very cool city. I am a little partial to FL...

Arien Malec
06-30-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm bummed about the sales tax

Austin is awesome. Good music and BBQ.

Derek Weaver
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
It's been years since I've been to Austin, at least 15, so I would have a different experience and perspective. We used to go every once in a while when we lived in TX, but I was just a little boy then. I have some family friends out there and one of my best friends is considering moving out there since his parents just bought a house but are only out there 4 or 5 times/year. It's like a getaway home for them.

Derek, where in Florida? It'll be a ways still before I can get up and go, but I may as well figure out some spots to scout out.

Derek Weaver
06-30-2011, 08:52 PM
6/30/2011 Thursday
TBDL- 1/2/3 x 3 @ 265
Bench- bunch of reps @ 135 trying to establish the groove

PLP: 48
Abz

Notes:
- TBDLs are good. No issues. Back feels good, fast off the ground, easy as it should be at this weight. I probably could have started heavier or made bigger jumps, but in another month I'll be pulling 345 x 18 total reps, which is not great, but getting to where I'm not a complete waste. Careful with the lower back and groin. Getting there.
- Bench is big time affected by the PLP I think. I am nowhere near stable. Started to get better towards the end, but it just wasn't good. 135 is roughly 50% of my most recent 1rm, and it felt wobbly to start. Hmmm. Marching on because my shoulders feel really good, but my elbows and left wrist are a bit screwy.

Still REALLY pissed off about this whole tax thing. So stupid from every angle. I would hate this had it not affected my online business ventures, yet it does. And I'm freaking nuclear about it now.

Derek Weaver
07-01-2011, 08:42 PM
7/1/2011 Friday
Lots of work to do still at 8:40pm, and I did just a quick one to move a little

TBDL 185 for 5s and 3s
+
Alternating from Set to Set: 1 Arm BB Press BTN, Javelin Press, BTN Press, Bradford Press

Twice through

PLP: 49

Notes:
- Presses done with empty bar and total workout done in maybe 15 minutes.
- Toying around to see how the shoulders do and if it may be a good idea to move to loaded pushups like I had been contemplating before, along with different vertical presses. Just not sure BPs are great idea for posture with all the sitting I do. More than my old job I would say.

Derek Weaver
07-03-2011, 06:30 PM
7/2/2011 Saturday
PLP: 50

7/3/2011 Sunday
PLP: 51

edit:
I found this mentioned while lurking through the fiasco over at IGx. This stuff on Dan John's blog is well worth the time to read these posts:
http://danjohn.net/2011/06/great-workout-based-on-intervention/

http://danjohn.net/2011/06/my-conversations-what-i-am-listening-for/

http://danjohn.net/2011/06/the-four-steps/

Many things rattling around the head.

I've thought at times that what may be the best thing is to make sure to just hit a move each session for each pattern. Which is pretty much what DJ is saying, but smarter and better than I could.

I've heard it where people just look for a push, pull, and a squat each session. The thing though, is that from a personal standpoint, the only squats I am comfortable with (still) are air squats or goblet. For some reason the thought of a front squat or backsquat with more than the bar makes my groin and lower abs cringe. That may be a lesson. Get the bar (and only the bar) back on my back, and work that movement, adding weight when I get comfortable and never straining. Probably could get fairly far with that way of thinking.

Working a get up of some sort (I talk about how crucial this has been for my shoulers and stability every 6-9 months, then completely disregard), a carry, a squat, hinge (dls, TBDLs, whatever), push and pull makes more sense than my simple mind is capable of understanding.

Ladders, 5/3/1, PTTP, 3x8...should all fit without a problem.

Too much for this simpleton to absorb for the time being. I'll have to come back to this and figure it out.

Arien Malec
07-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Damn, I learn something new from DJ every time I read him, even from the same article.

There's also the Gable insight: if something is important, do it every day. Working the basic movements as correctives into your warmup is something he talks about in Never Let Go.

I really like the KB FS + farmers workout.... Need to do more Farmer's Walks. How many time have I said this?

Derek Weaver
07-05-2011, 02:53 AM
I actually was thinking about Gable during those reads.

Dan John has a way of explaining things in his writing that make me wonder if he was born saving people from screwing themselves up.

One of the things I liked was the RDL + row. I would figure this would be done very light, but that's cool. My low back and hammies could use sustained tension I think.

7/4/2011 Monday
Warmed up with: 1/2 tgus for a few sets + RKC armbars
TBDL @ 135 x 3 reps x a lot of sets. Probably something like 10. Very stiff and kind of hitched up in the entire SI/hip area on the left side. Got things ironed out and quit while ahead.
BP 3 x 8 1 minute rest @ 165
Bat Wings 3 x 8 @ 2 x 16 kg kbs

2 x 5 goblet squats @ 24 kg kb + Waiter's Walk ~25 feet out and back w/ 24

PLP done before and after: 52 (set of 12, then 4 x 10)
Notes:
- Quick one today and just feeling things out. I am really trying to figure out what makes sense and what doesn't from a stand point of not getting hurt again. For at least the immediate point in time, I could care less if I pull 135 or 400, so long as it doesn't hurt.

I figure I can make progress just working a movement to work it, not pushing it until it seems like a good idea to push it, and eventually progressing. I've got enough going on that maintaining and nudging along is probably the right medicine.

I remember trading posts w/ Kevin (I think) either in this log or his log, can't remember. The gist of it though, was basically that had I realized that just working to maintain is much more productive than forcing progress, and getting hurt, then having to work hard to get back to the point I was trying to maintain before.

I keep thinking things are about to take off and turn a corner, and that this move that has been in the works FOREVER is just around the corner. It looks that way again, so we shall see. Only one or two things needs to finally fall and this training log can take a different focus.

Positive thoughts, hard work, and getting past this hang over. Tomorrow (really today) is going to be interesting.

Happy Belated 4th of July to everyone as well. I hope you all got as much sun, pool or beach time, BBQ, and beers as I did. The fireworks were awesome, company and celebration even better.

And kind of corny, but my dog turned 15, and he's still moving along pretty good. Kind of blind and wakes me up for the hell of it, but still bolts around the place, and gets really excited for what seems like no reason every day or so. Can't ask for much more since the Great Ron White says (paraphrased) "If you want to beat that by much you need to get a tortoise, or a tree."

Even cooler, the 4th was 8 years since my Dad received a successful liver transplant. That's pretty cool. He's going strong and every year his doctors are amazed at how strong and healthy he is. Blessed.

/short novel

Derek Weaver
07-05-2011, 10:10 PM
7/5/2011 Tuesday
PLP: 53

Hung over most of the day

Derek Weaver
07-06-2011, 06:22 PM
7/6/2011 Wednesday
Warm up: Med Ball 1/2 get up (20 lbs) x 3 r/l, RKC KB Arm Bar r/l until I felt good
TBDL up to 315 for a few fairly easy singles
KB Push Press 3x5/side @ 24 kg- easy
Goblet Squat + Waiter's Walk 24 kg kb, 3 x 5 squats + walks (went squat, down and back right, down and back left, repeat)
Band PUll Aparts - a bazillion

PLP: 54
Notes:
- Today was very corrective in nature, but still a nice workout.
- Went overhead w/ the single bell, made sure the scap was pulled down, and paused at the top of each rep. Got a slight stretch on the pec and the shoulders were packed. May be able to go overhead a little more often, but don't know whether a barbell press is in the cards.
- Hit every movement pattern in a medium type of intensity, which I guess is the goal.
- I'm in a little bit of a wait and see mode with some business stuff, so I've gotten out in the pool and done some moving around, but no laps. Good sun exposure.

Arien Malec
07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Looks like fun....

Derek Weaver
07-08-2011, 02:35 AM
It has been fun. For a while now, I've been more into the movements than the actual weights, but these last couple have been good from a fun perspective.

7/7/2011 Thursday
PLP: 55

Derek Simonds
07-08-2011, 08:04 AM
In answer to where in FL from a while back. I live in East Central FL. I am partial to pretty much the entire state. If you ever start to look this way I will give you my input on any location.

The Dan John stuff you posted is very good. I read it all last night while sitting in the airport delayed. HE really has a way with simplifying what needs to be done. I told my wife that we were going to buy the Intervention DVD so that she can learn from the best about being a PT.

Derek Weaver
07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
thanks for the input Derek. The one thing that holds me back about moving somewhere like Florida is that I'm the only kid. And even though my folks are in good shape, my Dad is 70 and had a bout with vertigo two years ago that was so bad they thought he had a stroke and kept him in the hospital for almost a week. Every once in a while he still gets wobbly.

Long story short, going on the other coast makes me a bit uneasy, and there is nobody else to share the responsibility with if anything were to happen. I'll still want to check it out though, just in case my mind somehow eases.

RE: Dan John. He puts things so simply that I almost feel like an idiot. Not like he makes me feel bad or like an idiot, but there are so many "duh" moments...

7/8/2011 Friday
Warm Up: Normal stretching, bird dogs, activation and now get ups and arm bars
RDL + Row 1 x 6 @ 95, 1 x 6 @ 105, 2 x 6 @ 115
Outside the leg double 16kg KB swing x 10 + Double 16kg KB FS x 5 + 16 kg KB Mil. Press x 5 + Suitcase Carry (2 pood) 20 feet right, 20 feet left
Pool- moving around

edit:
plp: 56
Notes:
- Easy one today. The RDL + Row is interesting. Hammies didn't fatigue, but the low back, grip, and upper back felt it more. Trying to be super strict so as not to lose the low back arch made things much more difficult.
- Possibly an interesting way of going Heavy-Medium-Light and letting the movements kind of dictate the stress. Just making sure to get push-pull-hing-squat-carry-get up in some way or another and not worrying too much about the rest may carry me for quite a while. Or I could just make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Arien Malec
07-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Done with the PLP?

Derek Weaver
07-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Whoops. forgot to add it into the log. Up to 56 now. And this is a laaate night just typing away. Time for sleep.

Derek Weaver
07-09-2011, 07:10 PM
7/9/2011 Saturday
PLP: 57

Still have a few sets to get through. Barbecuing and watching the fights with a few people tonight. Low key weekend. Depending on how many beers get taken down I've got some work to do late night, and pool tomorrow.

May hit the heavy bag tomorrow as well. Hands have gotten a little bruised, so this week was taken to let them heal completely. Feels like they're good and I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
07-11-2011, 07:35 PM
7/10/2011 Sunday
PLP: 58

7/11/2011 Monday
TBDL up to 2 x 1 reps @ 345 w/ an RPE ~8
Bent Row 115 x 4 x 8 reps
+
Slow 1 leg rdl unweighted. I had been doing these wrooooooong.
Bench 3 x 8 @ 135 1 minute rest (notes)
Waiters walk approx 60 feet x 2/side w/ the 24 kg kb

PLP: 59
Notes:
- Decent workout. I do the weighted walks more because I feel like I get more out of them than farmer's carries. I snatch the bell, "crush the can" between sternum and hips and get to walkin'
- Bench: I just want reps when I even do the exercise. the pushups contribute a significant amount of fatigue and I am not that eager to get much past an RPE of 5 because I feel really unstable regardless of the weight.

Do I feel like I've gotten 50% weaker doing this PLP thing? No, but I am fatigued enough that it has impacted lifting.

Considering that today is day 50 and I still have a few more reps to go to get to 59, I'll offer a few thoughts going into the home stretch:
- It starts off ridiculously easy, and gets much more difficult and tedious
- I didn't feel like I was getting any bigger, and then all of a sudden realized that my shirts were much more snug. I eat like a little kid these days, and have kept my waist within normal ranges.
- Overuse injures have seemed to be imminent, and then suddenly not so imminent. On days I feel good, I feel really good. Then it seems like the next day I'm sore as hell.

That is all.

Arien Malec
07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
- I didn't feel like I was getting any bigger, and then all of a sudden realized that my shirts were much more snug. I eat like a little kid these days, and have kept my waist within normal ranges.

Good to know...

- Overuse injures have seemed to be imminent, and then suddenly not so imminent. On days I feel good, I feel really good. Then it seems like the next day I'm sore as hell.

I'm having the same experience with the daily oly.

Derek Weaver
07-13-2011, 12:50 AM
I have no doubt that a recomposition can certainly happen doing something like this, but I don't know that a full 60 days is a great idea. Extremely sore today.

7/12/2011 Tuesday
PLP: 60

9 days to go...

Derek Simonds
07-13-2011, 04:13 AM
I guess I really don't know what PLP is and I haven't googled it. So off to google I go...

You can do anything for 9 days!