Yup, I can make it through 9 days.

Here's a link:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/plp_the_60day_challenge

Derek Simonds
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Yup, I can make it through 9 days.

Here's a link:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/plp_the_60day_challenge

Well that is simple isn't it. I like it. I like simple for sure.

Derek Weaver
07-14-2011, 03:50 PM
7/13/2011 Wednesday
1/2 get ups + arm bars along with normal bird dogs etc for warm up

1 leg DL w/ 16 kg kb for 4s and 5s by something like 5 sets
KB High Pull 16 kg kb 4 x 10, outside the legs instead of normal swing to high pull

3 times through:
KB Front squat 2 x 16 kg kb x 6 reps + KB Press 2 x 16 kg kb x 10 + Overhead Walk

PLP: 61

Notes:
- Bit of a recharge workout. Needed blood flow as PLP begins to wind down.
- 8 more days of PLP and I can't wait to have a day off from pull ups. The push ups and air squats aren't bad, but the pull ups.... sore.

Here's a DUHHHHHH moment:
I have a pretty significant imbalance in terms of activation and size between my glutes (snicker here). Left size "tuns on" easier and I can extend my hip much easier on the left side. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, no matter what I tried.

And here is the "a ha" moment: I was standing outside and for some reason decided to point my toes directly ahead. I felt my right knee turning in pretty hard. Looked down and, in fact, my right knee was turning in pretty hard. It makes sense since the hip flexors also have a role in internal rotation I believe.

Figured out I had done the 1 leg rdl's wrong and figured that out watching a DJ video on the Intervention stuff on Youtube.

Yesterday I did this:
1) LAX ball on the internal rotators and just outside of my groin. Ouch
2) Stretch the hip flexors for minimum 90 sec.
3) Do squats with band around knees. Right side wanted to cave in hard, but I got through it. Right side is much more fired up and sore today. Not necessary an indicator of effectiveness, but we'll see.

That's it for now.

Derek Weaver
07-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Well that is simple isn't it. I like it. I like simple for sure.

It is simple, but it stops being fun around day 35 or so. While I have seemed to get a touch bigger, I am not any stronger at all. In fact, most of my workouts, at least on the upper body, are using very light weights because I lack stability and am in a pretty constant state of fatigue.

which brings me to

7/14/2011 Thursday
PLP: 62

Derek Weaver
07-16-2011, 06:53 PM
7/15/2011 Friday
PLP: 64

Put off normal workout because i saw didn't sleep Thursday night. got about 3 hours from 11am to 2pm.

Left shoulder getting quite sore

7/16/2011
Get up, bird dogs, stretching etc for warm up

1 leg rdl 16 kg kb 3 x 5/side
Assisted Pistol 3 x 5/leg + TRX "W's" x 10
KB Press x 6 + waiter's walk x 3/side

Notes:
- If I get to PLP stuff today it'll be #64. I am honestly a touch conerned for my left shoulder and may take the day off. I felt pretty good during the normal workout, which was light again because I again struggled with pretty insane insomnia, but the shoulders have taken a beating lately.
- If I take a day off of this PLP thing, I'll re-evaluate on Monday to see how I feel and see if I can get 60 days of this crap done in 61.

Derek Weaver
07-17-2011, 05:49 PM
No more PLP. Left shoulder very sore, but not injured. Any more and I think I would be toying with fate.

On a cool note, I was outside of my parents house doing some yard work today, and one of their neighbors asked me if I would work with his son to help him get stronger heading into his first HS Baseball Season. Pretty cool.

Derek Weaver
07-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Shoulder still sore.

7/18/2011 Monday
TBDL 2 x 5 @ 235 (notes)
Assisted Pistols 3 x 6/side
TRX Face Pull x 40 reps
Waiter's walk + Rack Carry + Suitcase Carry w/ the 24 kg kb x 2/side

Finished up with some 1/2 get ups w/ the 16 kg kb
About 15 total reps/side of 1 arm push ups

Notes:
- Low back pretty stiff so I didn't want to push anything.

Arien Malec
07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Rest.

Derek Simonds
07-20-2011, 06:30 AM
No more PLP. Left shoulder very sore, but not injured. Any more and I think I would be toying with fate.

On a cool note, I was outside of my parents house doing some yard work today, and one of their neighbors asked me if I would work with his son to help him get stronger heading into his first HS Baseball Season. Pretty cool.

For god's sake man don't have him do the same workouts you do. The boy wants to play ball... :D I couldn't resist. Yeah that is cool when you get asked to help with stuff like that.

Derek Weaver
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
For god's sake man don't have him do the same workouts you do. The boy wants to play ball... :D I couldn't resist. Yeah that is cool when you get asked to help with stuff like that.

Hey now. I try these things out on myself to save other people from hurting themselves.

At least, that's my story.

Arien Malec
07-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Hey now. I try these things out on myself to save other people from hurting themselves.

It's experimental workouts.

Derek Weaver
07-20-2011, 01:00 PM
A lot of what I do is to test and see. The good news is that I have finally started throttling back before something breaks down completely.

The baseball players are going to have a different look to their workouts. Gangly freshman ball players get stability as the main focus.

Derek Simonds
07-20-2011, 03:58 PM
A lot of what I do is to test and see. The good news is that I have finally started throttling back before something breaks down completely.

The baseball players are going to have a different look to their workouts. Gangly freshman ball players get stability as the main focus.

And I am thankful that you are willing to do those "experimental" workouts...

On a serious note read everything Cressey has written. He really is a baseball genius. I am going through a lot of baseball stuff as my bosses son is a true prospect. He got invited to the Under Armor development team try outs at 12. So I have been paying attention to a lot of the baseball guys. If by stability you are including core I think you are right on the mark. Some mass gain and a super solid trunk and he is good to go.

Derek Weaver
07-21-2011, 12:39 AM
And I am thankful that you are willing to do those "experimental" workouts...

On a serious note read everything Cressey has written. He really is a baseball genius. I am going through a lot of baseball stuff as my bosses son is a true prospect. He got invited to the Under Armor development team try outs at 12. So I have been paying attention to a lot of the baseball guys. If by stability you are including core I think you are right on the mark. Some mass gain and a super solid trunk and he is good to go.

Yes, go be productive and actually compete. I'll Weaver myself repeatedly and let you know if something looks to be worthwhile.

EC is the first name that came to mind when their Dad asked me if I would be interested in helping them out. The good news is that I can coach other people well, but I destroy myself all the time. That = serious injury prevention measures for these kids.

I actually have already discussed some stuff with a couple people around the 'net far smarter than I that know how to handle young kids like this. Paying it forward from Cressey through other smart guys to me, the dunce.

7/20/2011 Wednesday
Deadlift (regular barbell): up to a ridiculously easy double @ 315 - read the notes why something like this is significant.
Clean and Press 2 x 10 @ 24 kg kb
Pistols 3 x 3- assisted w/ TRX, hung out at bottom on each side
Pull ups x 10, Chins x 10, Neutral Grip x 10
Abz

Notes:
- So I've been watching and rewatching the intervention clips from DJ and especially the ones on the deadlift/hinge. Chest up, wiggle the toes. I spent a lot of time working up in increments of 10-20 pounds or so, making sure my hammies were loaded as much as possible before even breaking the knee on my set up. 315 should go up easy, but with my low back being a little touchy from all the sitting, I have trouble psychologically depending on the day.

That is frustrating for a bunch of reasons, but mainly because it makes me a pussy on any sort of pull that may not be considered terrible for a guy my size.

Anyway, I stopped even though I had a ton more in the tank because I have a feeling my hamstrings aren't going to feel that great tomorrow.

I believe that even though my set up may not have been horrible, that it was still pretty much wrong for the last several years. Pretty much as long as I've been deadlifting.

Derek Weaver
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM
7/22/2011
a)TBDL 6 x 2 @ 235 done for speed
b) Pistols- assisted, in sets of 5 x 3 sets.
c1) BP 175 x 6 x 3 reps done paused
c2) TRX 1 arm body rows x 6 x 3

With the 24 kg kb
Waiter's walk down and back + rack carry + suitcase carry x 3/arm

Arm bars later on to loosen up since I'll be at my desk for a while.

Notes:
- Felt pretty good, but didn't want to push much since I have a really stupid birthday challenge I am thinking of doing next week.
- Hamstrings were also pretty sore yesterday from the new and improved set up work on Wednesday.
- Even though the TBDL results in a different set up, some of the same stuff was still implemented regarding "the hinge" that made the move sooooo different. Let's see if I can keep this momentum going and get less weak.
- Lately, even with the PLP thing, I have realized how good of a workout I can still get, even working at 60-70% of my maximum weights. My touch and go BP 1rm was I think 260 or 265, meaning I am working at ~90 lbs less than my 1 time maximum. Yet, I am feeling strong on some lifts, reasonably healthy, and not in the gutter all the time. Bets on how long it takes me to forget this and blow myself out again?

Arien Malec
07-22-2011, 04:38 PM
- Felt pretty good, but didn't want to push much since I have a really stupid birthday challenge I am thinking of doing next week.

Bets on how long it takes me to forget this and blow myself out again?

Uhh, your birthday? :)

Derek Weaver
07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Uhh, your birthday? :)

Yeah, but, uh... that's planned so it's okay. Right?

Derek Weaver
07-25-2011, 11:10 PM
7/25/2011 Monday
Warm up: Stretch a ton for everything. Band dislocates, bird dogs etc.
RKC arm bars + half get ups to finish warm up w/ 16 kg kb
Assisted pistols for about 20 reps/leg in sets of 3-4
Deadlift (speed pulls) @ 185 for maybe 15 reps, this actually made my back feel pretty good
Bench + TRX W's 3 x 8 (bench) @ 135 done easy + 3 x 10 (w's done easy)
Pull ups x 10, Chins x 10, Neutral Grip Pull Ups x 10
ABZ- lots

Notes:
- Another cross it off, recharge, feel better workout. Lower back fried from too much sitting. Flexibility + speed pulls feel like it's ironed it out. A wise person once said that the cure for an overtrained back is speed work. Sitting makes my back feel overtrained.
- Birthday challenge is to deadlift BW x 2 for 28 reps (years). Not touch and go, because I am not stupid, or insane. But this, as long as I don't get hurt, should be plenty.
- I may do some bag work, finally, and some conditioning stuff in the next day or two. I have mild eczema and my knuckles started cracking slightly so even though the bruises were healed, the skin wasn't. Gross.

Kevin Perry
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Good challenge to shoot for. And touch and go's suck anyways, no point in weavering yourself.

Arien Malec
07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Any opportunity to drop it between reps? Most of the injury nastiness is in lowering.

Derek Weaver
07-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Good challenge to shoot for. And touch and go's suck anyways, no point in weavering yourself.
Yes. Weaver is going to do his best to not Weaver himself on this. Being toasted for the day? Fine. Blown out completely? Not so fine. A double BW dead is likely to be 330 or 340 depending on what I eat tomorrow night (first morning weight may be impacted). Nothing too crazy, but considering how banged up I've been, it'll be a test.

Any opportunity to drop it between reps? Most of the injury nastiness is in lowering.

I'll probably drop the weights.

Derek Weaver
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Birthday challenge was an exercise in failure.

First rep went up a little slow, but fine. Second was good. Third was snappy. Fourth pretty good. Fifth.... slooooow. Sixth..... stapled.

All of a sudden I couldn't get tight, I felt stress in my ribs and it felt like I was trying to lift a car.

I have never experienced anything like that.

I know that I have mainly used the trap bar and that I've been beat up with the groin/lower ab stuff, sitting too much, lower back and whatever, but geez.

This was frustrating, a bit embarrassing, and not what I had in mind.

I'll obviously need to be more consistent if I actually want to get better instead of taking a step back from year to year like I have since age 25 now to 28.

Arien Malec
07-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I figure this was an unfamiliar movement for your body, and your body said "no way"

Derek Weaver
08-02-2011, 06:03 PM
I figure this was an unfamiliar movement for your body, and your body said "no way"

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm going to start swapping the barbell and trap bar since the groin is still improving. Even after all this time, it's not 100%, but probably 90% or so.

8/2/2011 Tuesday
This was supposed to happen yesterday, but I dealt with headaches all day.

A) Dbl KB Front Squat 4 x 6 @ 2 x 24 kg
B) Bench Up to 185 x 5- easy money.
C) Fat Gripz DL 135 x 12 reps total
D) Pull Ups, Chins, Neutral Grip x 10 each
E) Fat Bar Curlz x 45 lbs x 2 x 10 + 2 x lots of band hammer curls

Notes:
- This was supposed to be a workout done this coming Saturday (kind of) but after the weekend and the headaches yesterday, I wasn't going to go for a max lift or even close to it.
- I actually was thinking of doing some sort of schedule like the 5/3/1 Full Body Wendler dropped on T-Nation. This either makes me smart as hell, or Wendler an idiot.
- The idea was two hard workouts, with a third done more bodybuilding style.

Arien Malec
08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
- I actually was thinking of doing some sort of schedule like the 5/3/1 Full Body Wendler dropped on T-Nation. This either makes me smart as hell, or Wendler an idiot.
- The idea was two hard workouts, with a third done more bodybuilding style.

I like it, particularly when the bb style work is re-prehab, to focus on areas that are holding you back.

Plus conditioning and mobility = awesome.

Derek Weaver
08-05-2011, 10:09 PM
In my view of things, pretty much all BB stuff is rehab/prehab. Recovery, pumpz, etc are good for joints and flushing sore and tired muscles.

Speaking of training and chasing "da pumpz"

8/5/2011 Friday
A) DB KB Front Squat 4 or 5 x 6 @ 2 x 24 kg- plenty
B1) Pull ups, chins, alternating set to set x 10 x 4 sets
B2) Dips x 10 x 4 sets
C1) Band Resisted Push up 3 x 15 reps
C2) Pull Aparts 3 x 20 reps
C3) Fat Bar Curlzzz 55 lbs x 3 x 10 reps
D) GHR x 3, 4 - ouch

Notes:
- Messed up the sequence on this workout.
- Couldn't get a bench press groove, again. Weird. Very unstable again as well. Even the bar felt strange, let alone loading it.
- GHRs with a miniband? Awesome idea if you don't like your hamstrings. My low back felt a little touchy for a deadlift of any sort, so GHRs got the call up. Geez.
- This workout was supposed to happen yesterday, but I spent the day buying a new computer and setting it up. I now have my old computer and monitor, my laptop, and this new All-In-One Touchscreen, that I bought solely because it was plenty for my needs and reduced wires, on my desk and side table. I don't see how I reduced anything at all. Face to palm, or palm to face depending on your style.

Did some push ups, band good mornings and pull ups on Wednesday.

Derek Weaver
08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
8/7/2011 Sunday
Speed Pulls 3 x 2 @ 135, 3 x 2 @ 185, I think 6 x 2 @ 215
Bench Practice: 135 x 7 x 3 reps- groove felt better towards the end.
RFESS x 3 x 10 left leg, 4 x 10 right leg with the foot farther out (posterior chain and all that stuff)
Rows 24 kg kb x 21 left, 25 right, 4 left (Krocs, I guess)
Push ups 2 x 20
Band curlz and press downs x failure x 1 set

edited:
Forgot I did rows.

Notes:
- Kind of a lazy, get pumped up day with a sprinkling of a plan in the workout
- Speed pulls were to make sure that my back, which felt great, continued to feel great. I stayed at a weight to see if I could keep accelerating pulls for a couple sets, then moved up. At 215, I stayed there until I slowed down.
- Bench press: geez. I felt real unstable, changed a few cues, moved my feet a touch, and got stable. That isn't even speed weight for me, but I'm doing my best to make sure I don't do something stupid. So far, so good.

Arien Malec
08-07-2011, 08:40 PM
The lesson of starting way lighter than you think you should is one that I keep (re)learning. REFSS is something that I should work back in; probably in my fat loss cycle.

Derek Weaver
08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
The lesson of starting way lighter than you think you should is one that I keep (re)learning. REFSS is something that I should work back in; probably in my fat loss cycle.

I would only do the rear foot/bulgarians if there is an imbalance. My hips are goofy, and I have begun to figure out that my pelvis may be slightly rotated. Right hip flexors a tad over developed from kicking out of an orthodox stance. Left glute stronger and activates easier during warm ups. Was wondering why stretching didn't seem to make stuff even out... then realized muscle imbalances a few months back. Still didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Arien Malec
08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
It's a pretty good assistance exercise for the squat, I think.

Derek Simonds
08-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Oh and happy birthday brother. I don't remember which exact day yours is but... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Derek Weaver
08-08-2011, 03:54 PM
It's a pretty good assistance exercise for the squat, I think.

I like them because putting a bar on my back makes me a little edgy, and I'm imbalanced a touch. I would figure that for an O-Lifter, they would be good to address any imbalance brought on by splitting lifts.

There are definitely worse exercises to use though.

Oh and happy birthday brother. I don't remember which exact day yours is but... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks Derek. You as well. Can't remember if I sent along a happy birthday wish in your log or not.

28 years old... not any different than 27.

Derek Weaver
08-10-2011, 12:05 AM
8/9/2011 Tuesday
A) Bench Press 135 x 8, 155 x 6, 175 x 5, 185 x 5, 190 x 4 (easy, felt good)
B1) Feet Elevated Push Ups 3 x 15
B2) 1 Arm KB Row 4 x 15 @ 24 kg kb
C) Bradford Press 3 x 12
D1) Fat Bar Curlz 2 x 8 @ 50 (yikes, light but somehow fatiguing), final dropset x 4 @ 45, couldn't get any lighter since I was using a barbell
D2) Band Press downs 2 x ouch
abz later

Notes:
- Got done pretty quick on this one. I was going to do 2 x ~50 1 handed swings with the 1 pood to get the heart rate going a bit.
- Very sore in the lower body yesterday, kind of sore today. This week looks like it'll be upper- lower- full. Not a bad way to go, and I'll have to try and compare how I feel recovery wise, and schedule wise. Not having any direction takes the guilt off of program hopping, because I don't have a program. I just want to not feel like hot trash.
- I guess I kind of do have a goal of trying to get my once less-pathetic deadlift back, but whatever. I am taking every pull double overhand, so things may take a while to push grip strength up again.
- Lots of work to do still before I call it a night. Things are building in a good way, but the late nights and stress aren't done yet. It's cool.

Derek Weaver
08-11-2011, 06:03 PM
8/11/2011 Thursday
A) TBDL up to 305 x 4 when my low back said that's enough. back down to 225 x 5
B) Pistols x 1/side w/ 16 kg kb held in front, then 10 more reps holding a 25 for 2/side then 10 lb plate (notes)
C) GHR w/ red mini mand: 15 reps total
D) Box pistols on right leg for 5 reps x bunch of sets working on balancing the hips

Abz later

Notes:
- Interesting in that the TBDL didn't feel right. The weight didn't feel heavy, at all. And well it shouldn't, but the low back just wasn't into it today.
- Pistols are rad, but I don't do them well. My ankle mobility is lacking and my balance needs to improve. Reading the single leg article on TBag made me remember a Dragondoor article from a little while back on holding a light weight in front to keep from tilting backwards.

I started squatting down w/ the 16, extended the off leg, then pressed up. Wasn't bad, and it forced me to push the hips back to protect the knee. Hammies and glutes fired. I knew that was a little heavy though and started lowering the weight.
Definitely worth a shot if anyone wants to work pistols for whatever reason.

Arien Malec
08-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Back when I was on a brief pistol kick, the 10# weight was the key. Just heavy enough to counterbalance, just light enough not to make it harder.

Kevin Perry
08-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I may be late but Happy Birthday!

Derek Weaver
08-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Back when I was on a brief pistol kick, the 10# weight was the key. Just heavy enough to counterbalance, just light enough not to make it harder.

Definitely. And the cool thing is that if you want (or I guess, if I want) I can make it harder, and use the pistol as a mobility, strength, balance exercise in one.

I definitely felt my hip and ankle being forced to mobilize a touch without pushing too far. Doing this with a 24 kg kb would be a bad idea though.

I may be late but Happy Birthday!
Thanks Kevin. I appreciate it.

Arien Malec
08-12-2011, 07:16 AM
I've been sleeping -- Happy Birthday!

Derek Simonds
08-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I was playing around with pistol box jumps the other day... just a thought :D

Derek Weaver
08-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I've been sleeping -- Happy Birthday!

Thanks Arien. Low key this year. Since I've been plugging away on this business stuff I took the day off, got some sun, drank multiple beers and called it a day. Not how I would usually do it, but appropriate and much needed this year.

I was playing around with pistol box jumps the other day... just a thought :D

You're psycho. Those scare the crap out of me. I take it you have seen the video of Steve Cotter doing pistol jumps onto a table? Insane.

8/14/2011 Sunday
A1) Ring Pull Ups for a total of ~60 reps. 10s w/ bodyweight, 5s with a vest
A2) Bar Dips 4 x 10
easy ab work

Notes:
- Lower back real cranky. It has gotten like this after real long car rides where the pelvis just tilts too far forward for too long, and eventually the lumbar compression etc gets to be a bit much. Gotta get out of the chair.
- much better today, and hopefully I'll be well enough to do bodyweight only, single leg lower body work tomorrow.
- I may try and actually stretch the workout days to 4x/week, a la EC's Regular Guy schedule: full-lower-upper-full. The only reason being that it's an extra day that will force me to get up, move, do my rolling, stretching etc.
- Going to Vancouver again on 9/5-9/9, so I'll probably focus on some bodyweight drills in the lead up so I can get a hotel room workout a couple days while I'm gone.
- I love Canada.

Derek Weaver
08-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Low back still sore, but improving...

8/16/2011
A) Ring Pull up 2 x 1/2/3/4/5/6
B) Dip 1 x 1/2/3/4/5/6
1b) Ring Dip 2 x 10
Toes to the sky (like the top half 1/3 or so of a dragon flag) x 3 x 10
High box pistols x 5l, 10r

Notes:
- Still pretty sore. Slept on the ground last night to force sleeping on my back. I've also stretched my hip rotators (int + ext), extensors, flexors etc. Low intensity, but long duration. Seems to help a lot.
- Done some Dean Somerset exercises from a couple articles he's done on assessing lumbar function. These also help quite a bit.
- Doing some more bodyweight stuff is always fun and humbling, but gets boring quickly. I should probably have more of this stuff in my workouts though. Keeping a quiver of workouts that can be done depending on how I feel and how much time I've got is probably a good idea.

Derek Weaver
08-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Did some ring and pull up ladders yesterday.

Chiro appointment tomorrow for the hip and lower back. More ladders on the rings is my guess for tomorrow.

No lower body stuff until I can get this figured out. A bit sensitive and achy right where I assume my SI joint is. Maybe slipped it doing pistols? Odd.

Arien Malec
08-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Get better!

Derek Weaver
08-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Late Friday night working. Took a break to update.

Chiro appointment for time. Soft tissue work on the left hip and right shoulder (makes sense).

Adjustment of pelvis, neck, T-Spine. Much better but still sore. I figure I am not alone here, but even if I feel better, I get a fair amount of soreness after an adjustment. It's a good sore though.

Early on though, I can feel that I am probably going to need another visit or two before I'm pain free.

Derek Weaver
08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Just keeping my thoughts in order.

My back began acting up the day after I did some TBDLs. They weren't heavy and I stopped once I could tell that my lower back was not up to snuff. Going in, I had the same feeling I often do, and nothing felt out of order.

The only difference were the pistols, but I felt nothing in the low back area. Doing them to a box for a while as I continue to work hip mobility is probably a good idea.

Low back is still sore today, but feels better than prior to my chiro visit. If yesterday was like a 6 on the pain scale, today's maybe a 4, so that's good. If I'm not feeling almost all the way better by Monday, I'll go back in.

Training moving forward needs to be evaluated further. They spotted quite a bit of tightness in my shoulders as well, which is likely tied in with hip immobility. It may be a good idea to do some stuff like Chad Waterbury has talked about in his Livespills (dude's a dork, and I hardly ever agree with him to be honest) of doing one or two of the big lifts a week, and focusing on bodyweight and frequency.

That may drive me nuts though, so we'll see.

Derek Weaver
08-22-2011, 06:20 PM
8/22/2011 Monday
A1) Ring L-Chins 5 x 1/2/3
A2) Ring Dips (full turnout at top) 5 x 1/2/3
B) 3 x 10 hanging tucks or whatever. Where you get raise up to a pike but not a full HLR
C) 1 leg squat to chair 2 x 7 on right side only

edit:
late night working but I've done band pull aparts, plus the Diesel Crew Posture Fix w/ the red mini: x 1 kajillion

Notes:
- After a week of sleeping on the ground, and a chiro appointment the back and hip seem to be healing. Still a touch sore, and not ready for anything else yet.

Kevin Perry
08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Good work though, hope to see you at 100% soon

Derek Weaver
08-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Thanks Kevin. Once I can pull again, I will likely focus almost exclusively on sub maximal work, near speed work, for a good long while.

I'm sick of making any modicum of progress, only to take a weird little injury again.

Derek Simonds
08-23-2011, 04:04 AM
You have definitely had your share of weird little injuries. I really think that sitting in a chair all the time for work is what gets us. I know when I am at my office instead of traveling I have to do a ton more mobility work. Good luck.

Derek Weaver
08-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I get ridiculous injuries for the last few years. I've always been a bit injury prone, but being smaller and playing contact sports tends to result in injuries.

It's only been since I fried myself doing CF that I started getting hurt doing such dangerous things as sitting in a chair.

8/24/2011 Wednesday
A1) L-Ring Chins 4 x 6
A2) Ring Dips 4 x 6 - full support at top
A3) Single Leg Squat to Chair right side only 3 x 7

Notes:
- Time to start ironing out the imbalances between right side and left side. Still holding out on the chiro appointment since I'm still improving a touch every day.
- Even if I can get relief quicker by going back to the chiro, I refer not to have things adjusted too often if I can heal and get pain free with just a couple days of extra time.
- I'd forgotten how hard ring dips are. Swooooooooooolez

Arien Malec
08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Ring dips are one thing CF got right. High rep muscle ups, no so much.

Derek Weaver
08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Ring dips are one thing CF got right. High rep muscle ups, no so much.

Agreed.

The only specific exercises I don't care from from CF are barbell thrusters (they're cool w/ kbs or DBs as part of a man-maker set), SDHP and "American" KB swings.

Everything else is pretty much fine, but the programming takes it to a level of stupidity that exercise doesn't need to go to. Nor does it need help getting there on its own. After all, Bosu balls have been around to dumb it all up for a long time.

Derek Weaver
09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Took this week off so far. Had a serious neck spasm that is a result from a whiplash injury when I was 18 and still playing rugby. I dumped the ball on a standard scissor run and as I ran through, probably three or four strides past the maneuver, I was leveled by a shoulder charge through my shoulder blades.

It's the kind of hit that can break a neck and one of the dirtiest things that can be done on a rugby pitch in my opinion.

Anyway, not sure if it was related to the lower back thing that is pretty much healed now or not, but I woke up on Sunday and was a little sore, and into spasms by Sunday night.

Flexeril and Ibuprofen kept me from ending up in the ER. (crazy story walking through Reno, by myself, wearing my fraternity letters after one of these episodes by the way).

I feel a lot better today and may workout tomorrow.

Ohbytheway...

I'm considering squatting again to try and strengthen my hips to deadlift. Starting real light and tight, then finishing with single leg work to help improve muscular balance.

Not sure yet.

Arien Malec
09-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Ouch. Get better.

I feel like I keep saying that to you.

Squat approach makes sense -- light oly squats to full depth + single leg (REFSS/pistol/lunge/stepup) work would strengthen all the bits nicely.

Derek Weaver
09-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks. I have always been somewhat injury prone. Smaller guy on the field or ring, court whatever. I played a lot because I was (not to toot my own horn too much) fairly athletic naturally and I was usually stronger than my opponent. I also took bigger hits when the bigger guys got their chance to crack. For the glory.

Squats went well today.

9/3/2011 Saturday
Squats: bar x 10, 10
Belt
95 x 3, 3, 3, 3
135 x 2, 2, 2, 2
155 x 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

I just went until I started to get tired and I wanted to feel like I was about 20-30 lbs shy of a final warm up set weight.

First time squatting since January (?) so I was nervous and with the back and neck I didn't want to come apart with a bar on my back.

I may hit some speed pulls if I feel good tomorrow and get an upper body workout. Then it's off to Vancouver BC from Monday to Friday.

Arien Malec
09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I was also thinking that a Starr rehab approach might work --- lots of very high rep work with light weights.

Derek Weaver
09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I had actually thought of that, but I have failed to focus in those high rep sets. Light squats, good mornings, whatever. I'll eventually not hinge at the hips, or my knees will cave and even with a broomstick or empty bar, I'll mess up.

Anything over ten and it's a screw up waiting to happen.

9/4/2011 Sunday
A) Light Bench 135 x 5, 145 x 5, 155 x 5,5,5
B1) Low Incline DB BP 2 x 10 @ 70 lbs
B2) 1 Arm DB Row 3 x 10 @ 70 lbs
C) L-Sit Chins 2 x 8
D) Band pull aparts through the day x lots

Notes:
- Fun workout, kept it light and not too high volume or anything. I don't know if I'll workout this week before I get back on Friday. I'll set some sort of a plan and finally start putting myself together (again) and regaining strength that I have built, lost, partially built, and lost again for various injuries and other reasons.

Derek Weaver
09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
9/6/2011 Tuesday
Walking Capilano, Suspension Bridge, Hills etc. ~2.5 hours
Walking Downtown Vancouver ~2 hours.

I love this city. I'm sitting here writing some (gettin' paid- always good), bout to go out on a walk to check out the hostle I stayed out a couple summers ago (not staying there now) and going to get a slice of pizza at the place on the corner assuming it's still there.

Arien Malec
09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Getting paid while walking the streets of Vancouver is always a good thing!

Kevin Perry
09-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Seriously, thats a sweet deal

Derek Simonds
09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Yep any time you can get paid to be somewhere you like that is good juju.

Derek Weaver
09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks fellas. I wasn't actually paid to go to Vancouver, but I got paid while I was there.

Between my website building (never did get that how to punch harder site built out, too many projects), and article writing I can go anywhere. I also tend to work between 60-80 hours for less (as of now) than I did at my previous job "working for the man".

What's good is that the income streams I have been working on are showing signs of taking off, and soon that 60-80 will be more like 30-50 hours, then hopefully down to about 30 hours or less. I'm very particular about the way I like things to be done, and will never get to the "4 Hour Workweek", but that's cool. I'd go crazy if I was making a lot of money and hardly ever working.

No lifting today after getting in to San Jose. I didn't sleep last night, as I almost always don't sleep the night before an early flight. Slept on the plane and in airport terminals, but no actual and restful sleep.

Coming back with a quiver of workouts meant to condition and strengthen the bits over time.

Ohbytheway, walking for a minimum of 2 hours is amazing for posture. Even just over three or so days my hips and back felt so much better...

That's another thing I know from doing it before, but don't know after a while. 2 hours each day in normal life isn't realistic, but an hour or so most days is. I need to do this at least as much as lifting.

Derek Weaver
09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
9/12/2011 Monday
a) L-Ring Pull ups 3 x 7
b) Bench to 175 x 3 x 4 reps
c1) DB Incline BP 3 x 10 @ 70 lb dbs
c2) 1 Arm Row 3 x 10/side @ 70 lb dbs

Defranco Shoulder Shocker (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/shoulder_shocker)

2 times through:
25 lb plate raise x 10
20 db lateral raise x 10
10 lb Seated Power Clean and 1/2 Press x 10

Notes:
- Did some L-pull ups to make sure I get a basic amount of ab work in and a little extra pulling
- Kept things pretty light since I didn't lift last week and only once the week before due to injuries. Been a while since I could go heavy at all without blowing myself out.
- Shoulders could use a little work since I don't overhead press much anymore. Tried that shoulder shocker and was pretty blown out. Couldn't make it through w/ 20 pound DBs though. Not with no rest at least.

Arien Malec
09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Ohbytheway, walking for a minimum of 2 hours is amazing for posture. Even just over three or so days my hips and back felt so much better...

That's another thing I know from doing it before, but don't know after a while. 2 hours each day in normal life isn't realistic, but an hour or so most days is. I need to do this at least as much as lifting.

QFT. Back to a job where I spend the entire day hunched in a chair. I try to get up as often as possible, but not nearly often enough.

Derek Simonds
09-13-2011, 06:16 AM
QFT. Back to a job where I spend the entire day hunched in a chair. I try to get up as often as possible, but not nearly often enough.

I am with both of you. I try and move as much as possible but find myself when in my office at my desk too, too much. Luckily I have a pretty wide open office and can do whatever I want but still sitting sucks. Slow death for sure....

Derek Simonds
09-13-2011, 06:18 AM
- Shoulders could use a little work since I don't overhead press much anymore. Tried that shoulder shocker and was pretty blown out. Couldn't make it through w/ 20 pound DBs though. Not with no rest at least.

I do a variation that he calls shoulder murder and it is plate raises, thumb up lateral raises and scarecrows. I do 25 lb plate and 3 lb db's (they are purple thank you very much not pink!). I could do more I think but not by much... Tomorrow I will do it with 5 lb'ers and at least they will be metal.

Derek Weaver
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I am with both of you. I try and move as much as possible but find myself when in my office at my desk too, too much. Luckily I have a pretty wide open office and can do whatever I want but still sitting sucks. Slow death for sure....

One thing I am conscious of is shifting posture often, and moving my legs around a bit in my chair. Not sure if it helps much, but I doubt it can hurt.

I do a variation that he calls shoulder murder and it is plate raises, thumb up lateral raises and scarecrows. I do 25 lb plate and 3 lb db's (they are purple thank you very much not pink!). I could do more I think but not by much... Tomorrow I will do it with 5 lb'ers and at least they will be metal.

I saw that in your thread. It's basically the same thing.

Overhead pressing has turned nasty for me most of the time, but just like he says in that article I linked, you want to look good.

My shoulders are banged up enough from rugby that doing some pre-hab while getting some direct pumpz is nice.

My shoulders actually feel great today. Kind of like when i did physical therapy before eventually having the right one scoped. I'd feel so good for a day afterwards.

Let's see how I feel tomorrow.....

Arien Malec
09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Teh pumpz is good for rehab. So is, amazingly enough, frequent training. People who went Broz-style daily training (autoregulated Bulgarian-light) report that injuries and such tend to feel better. Something going on there...

Derek Weaver
09-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah, gettin' all swole up is good with the blood flow and all that stuff. Everyday may be a little harsh for me right now with my inability to stay in one piece for a number of reasons.

9/13/2011 Tuesday
A) Squat 135 x 8 x 2 (speed)
B) Rear Leg Elevated Split Squat 2 x 8/l, 3 x 8/r
Wrist roller w/ a 10 spot 2 sets of two wind ups and let downs or whatever you want to call them.

Plank variations x bazillion

Notes:
- The good news: this felt like speed weight and my back and hip felt great. Sleeping on the ground is good for the back and hip.
- The bad news: I'll probably see the sun rise since I have a ton of writing to do.

Derek Weaver
09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
9/15/2011 Thursday
L-Ring Chins 3 x 8 + 3 and 2 point planks
Speed BP 175 x 10 x 3 reps
BB Rows 4 x 10 @ 135
Defranco's Shoulder Shocker w/ 25 lb plate, 20 lb dbs, 5 lb plate (yikes) x 2
Fat Gripz 20 lb DB Curlz (need heavier dbs here) x 8, 6

Notes:
- Figured out I shouldn't kill my grip too much with the FG since I'm hoping to pull some tomorrow. Probably speed pulls, but still.
- Bench felt lighter by set 7 than at set 2. Was going to go 8x3, but felt good. Counting warm ups and all I was probably around 50 reps total for the workout, but only the 30 speed reps tonight.
- May figure something out Saturday if I feel good since I was planning on working Lower-Upper-Off-Lower-Upper (or something similar, but lower first). Back and hips didn't want that this week. So, I may cram a lighter workout for the upper body on Saturday. Getting pumpz on

Derek Weaver
09-17-2011, 07:13 PM
9/15/2011 Saturday
Speed Pulls (sort of) 185 x 8 x3 w/ hard shrug on 3rd rep
1 Leg squat to box + 2 x 20 lb db (3x5 left, 4x5 right)
Reverse Crunches x 50 reps broken up

Notes:
- SI a little touchy yesterday so I took this workout today.
- I was going to make the speed pulls straight up speed pulls but decided it may be a good idea to chill out, get smooth reps, etc. No messing w/ the lower back. Big weights will come soon, but the first time I pull in almost a month of neck and back goofiness needs to be smarter than that.

Derek Weaver
09-19-2011, 11:18 PM
9/19/2011 Monday
L-Ring Chins 3 x 9
CG Bench Press 5 x 5 (135, 155, 175, 185, 185)- ramped up and this finally felt as light as it's supposed to
Incline DB BP 3 x 10 @ 70s
1 Arm Row 3 x 10 @ 70s (dead stop)
Defranco Shoulder Shocker (same)
+
Fat Bar Curlzzzzzz 2 x 9 @ 60 lbs

Notes:
- Quick one. Went out to dollar ribs and got a pitcher for recovery.
- Need to get another chiro appt. SI/Hip thing is a touch achy. Doesn't really hurt, but letting me know something isn't quite right today.
- If I feel okay tomorrow, then light/speed pulls will happen and single leg squats like on saturday will be up. If not, then GHRs, single leg squats and abz.

Arien Malec
09-20-2011, 08:07 AM
- Quick one. Went out to dollar ribs and got a pitcher for recovery.

Both good things.

Derek Simonds
09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Both good things.

Seconded.

Derek Weaver
09-21-2011, 10:45 PM
That place is amazing. Each rib is like 7 @fit zone blocks. I had 11, the record is 13. I'll break it in two weeks.

9/21/2011 Wednesday
Speed pulls @ 205 for 11 x 2. Kept going til speed dropped off. It'll come back
1 leg squats to box + 2 x 20 lb Dbs x 3 x 5 left, 4 x 5 right
GHR 2 x 8
Reverse crunch x 30 reps
Planks + variations
Brisket tonight + Texas toast and a burger to top it off.

Notes:
- Was thinking squats but I realized that the pulling the bar towards me keeps me more balanced than squatting does with regards to imbalanced hips. So, I am still going to squat light, as in 135lbs max to concentrate on form and keeping the right side tight and "on", but I won't log it.
- The single leg stuff is... rouch. Hips back. HIPS BACK! Makes the glute on that side fire and strain like crazy. It does on the left side too, but the right side is so inhibited and weak most of the day that these single leg to a box reps makes for a tough workout.

Arien Malec
09-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Two quick points:

1) I can take 13 ribs any day of the week.
2) Solid work on the single leg squats. Given your history, no shame in just going down the Boyle route.

Derek Weaver
09-22-2011, 01:27 PM
1) that's what I figured. I don't think it'll be that tough, but they sneak up on you. They put Costco ribs to shame. Closest to Texas BBQ I've seen except for a place that used to be out in Niles.
2) Thanks. I think Boyle's taken some crap on the single leg route. He kind of deserves it for acting like back squatting is evil for everyone, but he's made some good points and it's resonated with me.

Derek Weaver
09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
9/22/2011 Thursday
Bench 8 x 3 @ 185 60 sec rest, semi-speed style
BB Row 4 x 8 @ 155
Ring Push Up 3 x 8
Standing "Y's" 3 x 10
Shoulder Shocker (per the usual)
Fat Gripz DB Curls 3 x 10 @ 20 lb dbs

Notes:
- Quick workout. Felt pretty good.
- Used a belt the whole way and was surprised at how stable I felt in the bench. Not sure if it was in my head or what, but I don't know why I waited to long to belt up on each lift.

Derek Weaver
09-25-2011, 03:06 PM
9/24/2011 Saturday
A) Deadlift up to a pretty quick and easy 305.
B) Single Leg Squat to box 3 x 5 l, 4 x 5 r @ 2 x 20 lbs
C) Reverse Crunches 3 x 12
Messed around with a reaching one leg deadlift that I saw Nick Tuminello demo (I think it was him) a few months back. May be a good corrective on the right side. Forces the glute med. to fire pretty hard, which is the main weak point that I can tell on my right side.

Notes:
- Quick one. Had a "family reunion" at the house. I hate family reunions.
- I am, today on Sunday, extremely hung over. I don't drink Budweiser too much anymore (it was an upgrade beer in college... go figure) but even that watered down excuse for a lager can do what's needed during family events.

Arien Malec
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
How are you working progression on the box? That is, what height box are you squatting to now, and when will you lower?

Derek Weaver
09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
The box is usually a bench.

I don't plan on lowering it since it's slightly below parallel anyway. I think my back stuff started acting up more because of excessive lumbar rounding and strain doing pistols.

At some point I may lower them, but for now, the progression is reps + weight. I'll be looking for maybe 10 rep sets across before adding weight, dropping back to 5s or 6s, then working back through.

Derek Weaver
09-27-2011, 02:14 AM
9/26/2011 Monday
A) Ring Chins 3 x 10
B) Bench up to a comfortable 205 x 3 close grip
C1) Low Incline Neutral Grip DB BP 3 x 10 @ 70
C2) Head Support Db Row 4 x 10 @ 20s (very strict, squeeze at top, still light but not excessively light)
D) 2 x 10/side 70 lb db row
Defranco Shoulder Shocker + Zottman curls 2 x 10 @ 20s (shoulder shocker done w/ weights similar to before)

Notes:
- Bench is finally feeling as light or heavy as it should at each weight. Working up to comfortable weights or hitting more sets in a speed fashion has been good. I don't really feel run down or needing a deload either. Kind of a-regging this thing.
- Bench probably could have been done for a grinding 7 reps or so. Still a bit off, but closer.
- This forum is pretty dead now. It's been tailing off, but with Wilson's thread shutting down there's not much going on. I guess there's only so much to talk about w/ the lack of Paleo, IF, CF questions to be asked these days. I don't want to drop my log since it's got a couple years of ups and downs, screw ups, personal events I logged etc, but the community is wasting away each day. If I had let my log slip for three or four days a year or so ago, I'd be on the second page.

Kinda bummed.

Derek Simonds
09-27-2011, 05:44 AM
It is probably just a lull... I was thinking about hiring a internet worker to copy all of my posts over into a blog as I know I would never do it and I don't want to lose the last 5 years of my log. Who knows what will happen.

Arien Malec
09-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Much of the oly-focused discussion has gone to Pendlay's forum or the WLE, dunno where paleo went but probably to something focused around Robb, etc. Some of the key people I used to enjoy reading posts by (Gant, DvS, etc.) don't post anymore, and Andrew's thread quickly became the "what CA forum is about". I've been thinking about moving my log over to Pendlay's forum, but I'll keep it around for a bit and see what happens.

Derek Weaver
09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
I noticed probably a year ago that things were tailing off. Little to no KB talk, martial arts/fighting stuff has died off. I guess a combination of normal forum attrition and the fact that you apparently can't comment on Greg, Robb or Pmenu at the CF forums has reduced the stream of new sign ups.

I think enough people got off the low carb/Paleo stuff that the nutrition forum stuff has all but ceased as well. I still like IF though...

9/27/2011 Tuesday
Speed pulls @ 185 for what I think was 12 x 2
Single Leg Squat to box/bench 3 x 7/side @ 2 x 20 lbs
Reverse crunches 3 x 12

Notes:
- Got really fatigued doing the single leg stuff so I quit. From a systemic point of view I feel fine, but muscularly I was beat. No need to add extra for the right side today.
- I noticed that for years I had initiated a reverse crunch with my hips and legs and less w/ my abs. Pulling the legs in with the abs has changed this move in a serious way for me.

Derek Weaver
09-30-2011, 01:14 AM
9/29/2011 Thursday
Bench press (phone book) 3 x 8 @ 175 (90 sec. rest)
BB Row 4 x 10 @ 155
Shoulder Shocker + BB Curlz w/ Fat Gripz at 60lbs
2 x 10 face pulls w/ TRX to make upper back/ a little happier
Pull ups and dips where you just do the shoulder blades. Like a reverse shrug. Can't remember what they're called: a bunch of each, fooling around

Notes:
- Quick one. My shoulders didn't love benching to my chest so I slid the taped up phone book I have stuffed with a magazine in the middle in there to shorten the range. Felt pretty good after the workout, so I'm guessing a little motion and a few reps were all that was needed.
- As always, band pull aparts through the day.

Derek Weaver
09-30-2011, 06:37 PM
9/30/2011 Saturday
Deadlift up to 310 x 1- fast, double over hand, hook grip
TBDL 3 x 8 @ 185 - just cause
Speed Skater Squats 3 x 10 BW/leg
Swiss ball abs

Notes:
- I got a swiss ball to sit on at my desk. It's not a perfect fix, but it's nicer than a chair. Keeps the torso kinda turned on I guess.
- Business wise things seem to be ticking up. time till tell if this is a momentary upward blip or not, but these last couple of weeks have looked like the potential that seemed to be there could be realized soon. It's been a rollercoaster, so hopefully things settle. I've got no complaints though. This last year (!) has been incredible and an amazing learning experience.
- Didn't have a huge plan other than to hit a "PR" (current, recovering back type of PR) w/ a double overhand grip and then do whatever.

Arien Malec
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Swiss ball abs

New big thing: I'm so lean, I have swiss ball abs.

This last year (!) has been incredible and an amazing learning experience.

Excellent!

Derek Weaver
09-30-2011, 08:27 PM
New big thing: I'm so lean, I have swiss ball abs.

Excellent!

Thanks Arien.

And on the Swiss Ball Abz: there is a marketing opportunity in there.

Derek Weaver
10-04-2011, 01:09 AM
10/3/2011 Monday
Bench 8 x 3 @ 185 -speed
B1) DB Low Incline BP 3 x 12 (need heavier bells)
B2) Pulls to face 3 x 12
Chins x 32 total reps (12, 12, 10)
Abz

Notes:
- My name is Derek, and I'm kicking my addiction to 10 pound plates. Nothing less than a quarter from now on. I've seen this written many times, most recently by Dan John. It'll be tough, but I can do it.

Derek Weaver
10-04-2011, 11:06 PM
10/4/2011 Tuesday
Deadlift 225 x 8 x 2
Rear Food Elevated Split Squat (front foot on 45 lb bumper) 3 x 10 + 2 x 20lb dbs
GHR 3 x 10, 10 , 8
Planks, swiss ball

Notes
- Did extra bird dogs and some other stuff for the right side throughout the day.
- Getting rid of the 10 lbs, and only using the 45s or the 25s. Time to nut up or shut up. Own a weight, then jump and grind til I own it.

Derek Weaver
10-08-2011, 03:40 PM
10/8/2011 Friday
Screwing around:
Bench 2 x 8 @ 185 (easy, but shoulder felt odd) 2 x 15 @ 135
Stiff leg Deadlift off of 45 lb bumper 3 x 8 @ 185
IYTs, pull aparts etc. with TRX
Chins w/ 15 lbs 3 x 8
Speed Skater squats 3 x 8/side w/ 20 lbs
Abz

Notes:
- Have a crazy big project I'm working on that scuttled training. Probably good cause it forced a deload.
- Deads off of a plate, w/ my back, are not a great idea. I feel okay today but can tell I shouldn't have done them. Regular deads, barbell or trap bar, are just fine.
- I had planned on combining things a little better than I did, but when my left shoulder got a little unhappy, all hell broke loose.
- I'm still going through withdrawals not using 10 lb, 5 lb, 35 lb etc. plates. I felt like 185 was as light as it's supposed to be. Either speed weight or rep weight for 8s or higher. Getting less weak in the bench. Now to get the dead healthy again.

Derek Simonds
10-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Kick butt on your project. Love the 45/25 plan.

Arien Malec
10-09-2011, 11:53 AM
One of these days, I'm going to do Mass Made Simple, which uses the large plates plan. High reps to low reps. Pretty brutal.

Derek Weaver
10-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Kick butt on your project. Love the 45/25 plan.
Thanks. I'm tired of writing.

One of these days, I'm going to do Mass Made Simple, which uses the large plates plan. High reps to low reps. Pretty brutal.

It forces me to take a step back. I usually can grind through something heavier, but if it feels like hot trash, then I drop back. And a 50 lb drop off is a pretty good deload for the session.

Case in point:
10/11/2011
Deadlift for speed 8 x 3 @ 185
1 and a half RFESS 3 x 7/side with 2 x 20 lbs
GHR 2 x 8

Abz before + bridging etc.

Notes:
- Kind of a quick one. Did this at about 12:30 am. Was going to skip and combine today, but I needed to take the edge off from a stupid dealing I had yesterday. Felt pretty good, but I could tell that I wasn't going to get the bar speed I wanted at anything heavier.

Derek Weaver
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
10/11/2011
A) Bench 5 x 5 @ 185
B) BB Row 4 x 8 @ 135
Assorted face pulls etc.
Shoulder shocker
band resisted push ups
abz

Notes:
- another late night workout. Just wanted to get something one.

Derek Weaver
10-14-2011, 03:23 AM
10/14/2011 Thursday
Deadlift up to 345 x 1- easy
GHR x 40 reps
Abz

- Sat on my back side all day working at my computer. I need to get out of the house.
- It's not like the dead is anywhere near a PR, but it went up so fast I was surprised. It was more like a triple weight once I got it about 2 inches below the knee. A bit slow off the ground, which is normal.

Tweaked the knee messing around with my dog, so only pulls and GHRs.

He's 15, so when he decides he's up to play around and do a little tug of war, you do it. He's only a 16 pound terrier, but damn if he's not still fast and agile.

Enough about my dog, it's getting weird. I've got some more work to do, then we'll see how late I sleep tomorrow. got a little window to chill... I think.

Derek Weaver
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM
10/14/2011 Friday
Bench 10 x 3 @ 185 w/ pause
BB Row 2 x 10 @ 135, 1 x 6 @ 185- bit sloppier than comfortable, 1 x 10 @ 135
Assorted face pulls, Y/T/W etc w/ TRX
Abz

Notes
- Pretty quick one. Window to chill: negative.

Derek Weaver
10-18-2011, 01:50 AM
10/17/2011 Monday
A) Deads (speed) 10 x 2 @ 225. Felt snappy around the 4th set
Fat Grip deads x 3 x 3 @ 135 w/ a max hold at the top of 3rd rep-screwing around
Speed skater squats BW x 3 x 10l, 3 x 10r+ 5, 3, 3 rest pause-ish
GHR 2 x 8
Abz

Notes:
- Felt good on the deads. Things are starting to feel good. Extra work with glute bridges before the workout seems to be a good idea. Single leg stuff to hammer the right side + bird dogs off and on through the day.
- I feel like I'm starting to finally find a save and really powerful groove on the deads again. I'm thinking of gearing up for a near max pull next week, which will mean lighter and faster pulls again on Thursday if I even decide to pull at all. I'm not sure though, so we'll see if life scuttles the plan.

I'd like to pull though and see if I can nut up and get something meaningful off the ground. Anything within 20 pounds of 400 would make me happy given the back issues I've been dealing with off and on for a long while now.

Derek Weaver
10-19-2011, 12:27 AM
10/18/2011 Tuesday
A) bench 10x3 (I think) @ 185- actually went x 5, then 9 x 3
B) DB Rowz 1 x 6 @ 90lbs of plate + db weight (dunno poundage), 2 x 10 w/ straps: same weight, 1 x 12 @ 80 lbs of plate + db handle weight
C) Face Pull + Ext. Rotation 2 x 10 on suspension trainer
Abz

Notes:
- Yowza. Tired. I thought I could just do 5s, but I felt like I was losing focus, so I kept it to 3s. better to push volume through more sets w/ less reps than more reps and less sets I suppose.

Derek Simonds
10-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Especially when you are tired.

Derek Weaver
10-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Truth. I find some lifts I just can't concentrate and hold a groove for more than 3-5 reps. Sometimes nothing more than 3s. Others, like with DBs, I can go forever. Odd.

No training lately. I seem to have strained what I think is the brachialis in my left arm dong the db rows. I want to protect the biceps since I am planning on going for a near max on Monday or Tuesday. Whichever day I feel crappier, I'll go on that day to try and play some reverse psychology on myself.

Of course, since I'm trying to trick myself, is it really a trick? I don't want a bum forearm/biceps area muscle/tissue to hold me back on what I'm hoping will be a less than crappy pull.

Arien Malec
10-22-2011, 09:35 PM
I find some lifts I just can't concentrate and hold a groove for more than 3-5 reps. Sometimes nothing more than 3s. Others, like with DBs, I can go forever. Odd.

FWIW, I find that there's an odd gap between 1-3-5 and 10-20. That is, squat singles, sets of 3, or even sets of 5 are fine, but there's a grey zone between 6-9 where everything sucks. If I can squat to 10, I feel like I can go on forever (except for some bitty muscle somewhere that gets a twinge).

Derek Weaver
10-24-2011, 01:41 AM
FWIW, I find that there's an odd gap between 1-3-5 and 10-20. That is, squat singles, sets of 3, or even sets of 5 are fine, but there's a grey zone between 6-9 where everything sucks. If I can squat to 10, I feel like I can go on forever (except for some bitty muscle somewhere that gets a twinge).

Hmm, that makes sense. I thought of doing a run of 20 rep squats to groove the movement as I continue to improve my hips, but I'm not sick enough to do that.

I may have to give it a try sometime soon to test it.

Derek Weaver
10-25-2011, 05:07 AM
10/24/2011 Monday
Dead lift up to 345 which was super easy and fast. I thought "let's nut up and finally pull 4 bills off the ground." I went ahead and got my lifting straps for extra grippage, belted up tight and took 4 attempts at it and missed each.

Finished with a few GHRs and abz.

Notes:
- The weight didn't even feel heavy in my hands. I broke it a few inches off the ground, but there is something in my mind that is holding me back. A true max effort in any lift is something I can't seem to get past. It is especially harsh in the upper body lifts because of the past hip and back issues I guess, but damn.
- I don't do any psyching up, and never have. I've never had the training partners or training environment to do it.

Arien Malec
10-25-2011, 05:36 AM
- I don't do any psyching up, and never have. I've never had the training partners or training environment to do it.

Same for me -- I rarely get excited after a lift, and almost never get worked up for a lift. I'm sure that in a comp, 400# would have gone up nicely.

I liked these two articles:

http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/09/29/zen-mind-big-snatch-part-i-yin/
http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/09/30/zen-mind-big-snatch-part-ii-yang/

On a "mysteries of the CNS" sidebar, I've found that wave loading often helps get the big number. Back down, do a few sets of lower reps until the weight gets "easier", then go back up.

Derek Simonds
10-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Intersting stuff. I will check out those articles. You know I struggled for 2 years to get 400 then it was 415 within a couple of weeks. Heavy pulling is mental fo'sure.

Derek Weaver
10-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Same for me -- I rarely get excited after a lift, and almost never get worked up for a lift. I'm sure that in a comp, 400# would have gone up nicely.

I liked these two articles:

http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/09/29/zen-mind-big-snatch-part-i-yin/
http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/09/30/zen-mind-big-snatch-part-ii-yang/

On a "mysteries of the CNS" sidebar, I've found that wave loading often helps get the big number. Back down, do a few sets of lower reps until the weight gets "easier", then go back up.

I'll look at those links. Thanks.

I honestly had forgotten completely about wave loading. I'll rest, may do some speed work on Thursday and may give it a go again in a week or two. I honestly feel charged up today. Not anywhere near the edge of burnout. CNS is as primed as it's been. Hardly slept, feel great... weird.

Derek,
What's weird, is that it didn't feel heavy in my hands at all. It felt like I had the grip to take it double overhand. There is that barrier that I'm going to crush and rip 400+ off the freaking ground before Thanksgiving Day.

Granted I was using straps, but it's just odd how I just shut down for some reason. My upper back didn't even feel like it rounded.

I'm going to go punch a hole in a brick wall (not really, I need these hands to pull)

If I bench 300 before I pull 400 I'm going to be so pissed.

Derek Weaver
11-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Crashed a bit towards the end of the week. Not sure if it was delayed fatigue from the Monday Failure or what. It also could be that I pulled an all nighter the other night transferring a site between web hosts.

10/31/2011 Monday
Deadlift 225 x 3, 275 x 2, 315 x 1 x 3 times through. Took one more single @ 315 cause I felt fast. That last single felt slow
RFESS 2 x 10/side @ 2 x 20 lb dbs
2 x 8 GHR
Abz

Notes:
- Felt good. Good reps and was kind of testing something out that I'd seen mentioned. Not sure if I got it right, but I liked it.
- Another wave like in PTTP or BBB or whatever the Pavel book was is something like: 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5. Kind of an Eastern Euro thing.
- 400 is going to get crushed so bad. Time to start the psyche up.

Derek Weaver
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
11/1/2011 Tuesday
Bench 135 x 7, 185 x 5, 135 x7, 185 x 5, 135 x 7, 185 x 5
Pull ups 3 x 8
DB Rows x 70 lbs in plates + db handle x 3 x 12

Notes:
- Good workout. Had to get it done so I can be on the call I need to take in about 5 minutes.

Derek Simonds
11-02-2011, 07:25 AM
It's nice when you can get in and punch your workout out like that sometimes.

Derek Weaver
11-02-2011, 08:17 PM
yeah, it was a good one. I am slowly starting towards a quiver of workouts that I can track progress on and continue to get stronger and more "fit".

For the most part, I want, in each week to get a speed-ish type of pull workout, GHRs, benches, and more back work than anything. The actual movements and reps are rounding themselves out.

Today: 40 minute walk, then got the geezer dog and took him around the block. Old mutt sleeping and snoring under my desk now.

Plenty of work t do now.

Arien Malec
11-04-2011, 09:41 AM
The latest DJ + Pavel book is pretty good; redefined "punch the clock" workouts for me. Seems like the DJ method might work:

1) Have a known stable workout approach that at least maintains strength
2) Experiment on the base of that known stable workout.

Derek Weaver
11-05-2011, 02:29 AM
I think you're right. That's kind of the way I've been heading. Itching for a bit more movement though with my back feeling about 100%. Just anxious enough to do something stupid soon.

11/3/2011 Thursday
Front Squats for a bunch of 3s w/ 135 (pause) - notes
Stiff Leg Deads in squat shoes 4 x 8 @ 185
Abs

Notes:
- Front squats because I've been doing some reading and it appears that trouble breaking the bar off the ground might be due to weak quads. Interesting in that I tend to view the deadlift as a purely hip/low back lift even though I know it's a whole body movement. Let's see if this can get the bar moving a bit.

11/4/2011 Friday
Bench: repeat of Tuesday
BB Row 4 x 12 @ 135
Bands
Abs

Notes:
- Wasn't feeling it. Punch the clock big time here.

Derek Weaver
11-07-2011, 06:29 PM
11/7/2011 Monday
Deadlift: 135 x 5 no belt
185 x 5 no belt
225 x 3 no belt
275 x 1 no belt, hook no belt, hook belt
315 x 3 x 2, 2, 3 w/ belt
225 x a few to test something on positioning.
GHR 2 x 8
Work on the abz

Notes:
- I ran out of steam today.
- I was going to do 7-10 singles, but somehow I started doing doubles, on the 3rd set I was slow, slow, fast... took the victory and ended it.

Arien Malec
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
on the 3rd set I was slow, slow, fast... took the victory and ended it.

Good call.

Derek Weaver
11-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I've been so good lately that I feel like doing something stupid soon. Let's see how long I can last.

11/8/2011 Tuesday
Bench up to a slightly grindy 3 @ 225, back to 185 x 8, 135 x 10 reps x 2
DB Row 70 lbs plates + db handle x 3 x 12
TRX Ws x 2 x 12
+
FG Curlz x 2 x 10 @ 65 lbs.

Derek Simonds
11-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Patience Brother, patience...

Arien Malec
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
There was a really nice (!) article in T-whatever yesterday about semi-big plates autoregulation. The idea is to do 45s + 25s + 10s (or allow combinations of 25s and 35s) to get weight jumps: 135, 155, 185, 205, 225, 245, 275, etc. Thought it was a decent approach.

Derek Weaver
11-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Derek,
I know. I'm like a crack addict looking for his fix. Only in this case, I'm not a drug addict and I'm more of an idiot looking for his stupid fix.

Arien,
I saw that article as well. Everyone of the articles that are actually good I end up bookmarking. Nice to have a writer to add to the bookmarks that isn't Cressey, Gentilcore, Robertson or DJ.

It was pretty solid.

Arien Malec
11-09-2011, 08:20 PM
We just need a little DJ doll, where you can pull the cord, and he will say:

"What are your goals?"

"What do you think works for you?"

"What are the three most important things you need to do?"

And stuff like that.

Pull the cord a few times before every workout.

Derek Weaver
11-10-2011, 12:14 AM
We just need a little DJ doll, where you can pull the cord, and he will say:

"What are your goals?"

"What do you think works for you?"

"What are the three most important things you need to do?"

And stuff like that.

Pull the cord a few times before every workout.

There's probably a market for that online. Seriously.

Pull the string:
Doll DJ says- "The goal, is to keep the goal, the goal."

Derek Weaver
11-10-2011, 04:24 PM
11/10/2011 Thursday
Front squats done light to try and drive deep for hip mobility. Not worth bothering reps or weight.
TBDL 3 x 1 @ 345- felt off

Notes:
- Sleepy. Realized I wasn't on and punching the clock meant just doing a rep or two today.
- Needing to get my flexibility and conditioning moving again soon.
- I'll finally get 400 to fall on the DL and then make a shift. Not going to shift until I knock that goal down.
- I also realized today that while I'm flexible enough to get into position for the lifts, I probably couldn't throw a kick comfortably right now. That's got to change.

Derek Weaver
11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
11/14/2011 Monday
Deadlift up to 400 x miss, miss
GHR 1 x 10, 2 x 10 + 10 lbs
Abz

Notes:
- I felt good, took 315 no hook, no straps, no belt for a really fast single. Took 365 no belt, straps for a pretty good single and thought, let's do this.
- Couldn't get the bar pulled back and think i missed the first because I was forward. Should have found a way to get video. The second was just toasted. I went to drop to 225 to get practice and felt heavy as hell in my hands. CNS done, so I hit the GHRs to hit the hammies and low back a little and called it.
- 400 may not fall before Thanksgiving, but it's coming down soon. I think I would have had it today because it broke the ground fast and then stalled ~5 inches up. I usually have problems breaking the lift and have never missed if I've gotten to the knees.

Arien Malec
11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Good that you are healthy enough to make the attempt. It will fall...

Also:
http://bastardolifters.blogspot.com/2011/11/adding-100-pounds-to-my-deadlift-by.html

Derek Weaver
11-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Good that you are healthy enough to make the attempt. It will fall...

Also:
http://bastardolifters.blogspot.com/2011/11/adding-100-pounds-to-my-deadlift-by.html

Thanks for the link. The damn 400 isn't even that heavy. I didn't have any problems with my grip and took it double overhand with straps.

11/15/2011 Tuesday
Turned into a light back day:
Chins x 12, Pull up x 12, Ring Chins x 12
Head supported row with a pronounced scap retraction x 3 x 12 w/ 20 lb dbs, significant squeeze at top.
TRX Ts and Ws for a bunch.

Notes:
- Little tendonitis in the front of my shoulder. I did some push ups and those felt fine. Getting overhead doesn't feel all that great though. Keeping my right arm extended results in a very slight twinge. It's maybe a 2 of 10 on the pain scale. I'm not worried, but I did decide to not push it today.
- I'm planning on hanging the heavy bag and working back in to it. I'll scale the upper body work back with this. I'll also do my best not to jack my hands up.

Could this be the stupid thing I have been urging to do? I don't think so since I'm trying to edge away from some of the heavier upper body work that makes me feel beat to hell from time to time. We'll see.

Been taking a lot of walks lately and have felt pretty good with this. 2-3 miles is all, but it's been nice to get out a bit. been getting home and taking the geezer dog for a quick lap around the block. He does pretty well for such an old timer and crapped in our neighbor's yard yesterday. It's been a dog crap war with them for a while. I am very attentive to making sure I've got the crap bags when I walk him because there is nothing more rude than to let your dog crap in public and not pick it up so that people have to step over it. But with these neighbors... there's a long dog crapping history that they started years ago. I hope they google my name and see this post.

Derek Simonds
11-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Dog crap wars can end up like the Hatfield and McCoys... Pa what started this whole feud thing we got going on? Well son one day that gosh darn Weaver walked his old dog right down the street to crap in our yard. Our Yard, son that is where our dog craps! :D

I unfortunately know all about this one. :D

Heavy bag doesn't sound stupid to me at all FWIW. Enjoy.

Derek Weaver
11-16-2011, 03:39 PM
We've been at war for a long time. Fighting over parking spaces, them bringing their dog over to take craps in our front yard (seriously, who does that?) and many more things.

They fired first. I'm pretty gung ho about competing in these asinine things though.

Eduardo Chile
11-17-2011, 06:22 AM
11/14/2011 Monday
Deadlift up to 400 x miss, miss
GHR 1 x 10, 2 x 10 + 10 lbs
Abz

Notes:
- I felt good, took 315 no hook, no straps, no belt for a really fast single. Took 365 no belt, straps for a pretty good single and thought, let's do this.
- Couldn't get the bar pulled back and think i missed the first because I was forward. Should have found a way to get video. The second was just toasted. I went to drop to 225 to get practice and felt heavy as hell in my hands. CNS done, so I hit the GHRs to hit the hammies and low back a little and called it.
- 400 may not fall before Thanksgiving, but it's coming down soon. I think I would have had it today because it broke the ground fast and then stalled ~5 inches up. I usually have problems breaking the lift and have never missed if I've gotten to the knees.

If you post a video from side, maybe I could give you some advice if you want. Sounds like you lost some upper back tightness.

Derek Weaver
11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks Eduardo, I'll see if I can get video soon.

Took the last couple days off. Didn't go to sleep til 6 this morning. It appears I've turned another professional corner *knock on wood*, or at least am in the process of doing so. Hard charge has been happening lately.

Got in a long walk each day and got the geezer dog out each day as well.

11/18/2011 Friday
TBDL up to 295 x 3 reps x 2 sets, 225 x 10
Chins x 12, Pull ups x 12
Head supported rows by a few sets
external rotators
abz

Notes:
- Bagged any pressing or pushing in favor of light back work. Shoulder's getting better, but I still prefer to work the upper back a little in an effort to realign a bit. I'm fearing that I'm developing a little bit of a forward head posture + rolled forward shoulders.

Derek Weaver
11-22-2011, 01:02 AM
11/21/2011 Monday
TBDL 135 x 5, 5
185 x 3, 3
225 x 3, 3
TBDL ladders 3 x 1/2/3 @ 275 light

Ab wheel- hella

Notes:
- Midnight workout in the garage of busted PRs
- Spent the day with my Dad. Hit up a deli, hung out a bit. Went to Thai food as a family. Gots work to do

Derek Simonds
11-22-2011, 05:37 AM
I have a trap bar in my cart at elite fts and just haven't pulled the trigger yet. So close...

Derek Weaver
11-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I have a trap bar in my cart at elite fts and just haven't pulled the trigger yet. So close...

I like it. The one at elitefts is more expensive than the one at Jesup Gym, but it will hold more weight.

If you are using all metal plates and not pulling more than 450 or so it's probably fine.

I like that I can a) get a more complete lower body workout without squatting and b) if inclined I could work a pull/farmers combo. I don't do that, but I could if I wanted to. I would guess I wouldn't have any more grip issues if I worked on that for a bit.

Steve Burke
11-23-2011, 07:46 AM
How are you finding the stiff legged deadlifts? I had done them for a while and had got some decent benefit from them.

Derek Weaver
11-23-2011, 03:11 PM
I haven't done them for a little bit, but I like them. I'm growing more convinced that those of us who sit much of the day may benefit from lighter, but more direct, hamstring, low back, glute work. I've been on glute hams and bridging variations lately.

I do notice that if I'm not smart about warming up and stretching out my hips and hamstrings that my low back takes a hit.

I stretch a lot before I work out. I'd rather be more confident I can get into position, even if there is a strength drop off from static stretching.

Derek Weaver
11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
11/23/2011 Wednesday
TBDL @ 275 for a few
Some heavy bag work
Some head supported rows
Push ups

3 total walk. one in the morning, hung out with the folks, took the dog.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Steve Burke
11-24-2011, 02:24 AM
I haven't done them for a little bit, but I like them. I'm growing more convinced that those of us who sit much of the day may benefit from lighter, but more direct, hamstring, low back, glute work. I've been on glute hams and bridging variations lately.

I do notice that if I'm not smart about warming up and stretching out my hips and hamstrings that my low back takes a hit.

I stretch a lot before I work out. I'd rather be more confident I can get into position, even if there is a strength drop off from static stretching.

I definately think there is a place for going heavy with them. A powerlifter at the gym i train at focussed on these to get his conventional deadlift from 250 - 300Kg. Granted, he is a freak of nature but worth exploring none the less.

Derek Weaver
11-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I like lighter versions but that's just me.

I think Dr. Ken likes them off a platform and done heavy. I'll have to dig around and see.

Dr. Ken Leistner's version of HIT is the only type that doesn't look idiotic. Well, him and Martin Berkhan's training style which is pretty HIT-centric.

Derek Weaver
11-30-2011, 10:59 PM
11/30/2011 Wednesday
Did some stuff on Monday:
TBDLs: light @ 225 x 4 x 6 I think
Abz

Today:
50 chins + Dips
Started some renegade man-makers or whatever Gym Jones called them, stubbed my toe on a DB and called it.

Notes:
- I took only two training days last week, but I've been walking 2 or 3 miles every day. Not much, but it's been nice to get up and out with a simple walk through the neighborhood.
- I realized I'm starting to butt up against some adrenal fatigue. I usually don't realize it until I am several weeks in. I've taken a few short training weeks lately. Include that with some shoulder tendonitis and general apathy towards any sort of strength work and I'd say I'm in it.
- I'll just walk, take some time from heavy work, maybe do some heavy bag and some very light metabolic work to get a different type of work in.

Reeeeeeal light stuff though. Time to get my lungs and legs back in shape anyway. I also noticed that as I creep into the mid to high 170s I break out (28 now, can't be happening) and I start getting little aches and pains that aren't usually there.

Steve Burke
12-01-2011, 04:10 AM
11/30/2011 Wednesday
Notes:
- I took only two training days last week, but I've been walking 2 or 3 miles every day. Not much, but it's been nice to get up and out with a simple walk through the neighborhood.
- I realized I'm starting to butt up against some adrenal fatigue. I usually don't realize it until I am several weeks in. I've taken a few short training weeks lately. Include that with some shoulder tendonitis and general apathy towards any sort of strength work and I'd say I'm in it.
- I'll just walk, take some time from heavy work, maybe do some heavy bag and some very light metabolic work to get a different type of work in.

Reeeeeeal light stuff though. Time to get my lungs and legs back in shape anyway. I also noticed that as I creep into the mid to high 170s I break out (28 now, can't be happening) and I start getting little aches and pains that aren't usually there.

Best to mix things up when you feel like that. I'm interested, what basically is adrenal fatigue, and how do you know you have it? Cant say i have ever really heard of it before.

Arien Malec
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM

This is something that I need to be doing more of. Simple walks are goodness....

What's causing this, do you think?

For my part, I'm finding that volume kills me, but frequency and intensity (i.e., daily training) is fine. Is there any parameter that you can adjust to find a more sustainable approach?

Derek Weaver
12-01-2011, 04:51 PM
This is something that I need to be doing more of. Simple walks are goodness....

What's causing this, do you think?

For my part, I'm finding that volume kills me, but frequency and intensity (i.e., daily training) is fine. Is there any parameter that you can adjust to find a more sustainable approach?

I'm thinking that I've just been burning the candle at both ends. I am behind my computer 12+ hours most days of the week, I haven't been training overly hard, but a combination of things I guess.

I can't do much about the work hours, but I can adjust training. I do feel like the walks are good from both mental and physical. Endurance stuff (well, for me endurance stuff) didn't seem to drag me down the same way.

Since I am not into the Oly lifts, and I'm not about to enter a push pull meet in this lifetime, I don't have much of a goal other than to be healthy and try to look better than most people around. I can do a better job working the low level endurance stuff in with smarter strength work.

Best to mix things up when you feel like that. I'm interested, what basically is adrenal fatigue, and how do you know you have it? Cant say i have ever really heard of it before.

Hey Steve,
Adrenal fatigue is a tricky thing. Some don't believe it exists. Others do, but aren't sure as to how to specifically identify/diagnose and treat it.

This link sums up this thinking well enough. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583.

I notice things like I get crankier than usual. My already random sleep schedule gets more random. I start waking up after just a couple of hours, then can't sleep even if I've been up over 20 hours etc.

Basically, I get more fatigued, my mood starts to tank, and then I can't sleep even when I'm more tired than ever.

Couple it with little bouts of tendonitis and I go from my current age of 28 to 78. Maybe not that bad, but you get the picture.

There's an article that I remember from T-Nation a few years ago that made some sense of it too. I'll see if I can find it.

Arien Malec
12-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking that I've just been burning the candle at both ends. I am behind my computer 12+ hours most days of the week, I haven't been training overly hard, but a combination of things I guess.

This makes total sense. If daily life already makes you exhausted, the margin for training is very small.

Steve Burke
12-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Thanks Derek, I'll check out the link.

Derek Weaver
12-02-2011, 10:05 PM
No problem. Any questions on the train wreck that is my log, feel free to ask. I've hurt myself, burned out, done all sorts of stupid stuff etc more times than I'd like to admit in the 140 pages of this log's life.

I'm not on the forum as much, but I'm around a bit and have decent insights when it comes to stupidity.

Derek Weaver
12-03-2011, 08:36 PM
12/3/2011 Saturday
4 mile walk, picked up the geezer dog and took him for his ~.5 mile walk.

30 L-Chins + 30 dips
90/90 split squats 2 x 10/l, 3 x 10/r

Notes:
- Was going to go out, but things are getting all screwy, so I'll hang around, get a pizza for recovery, get some work done. Maybe top things off with a glass or two of Singleton.
- There is talk of doing a warrior dash with my cousins. One of my cousins is rehabbing a torn gastroc after she ran some trail race and I think her husband will be on leave in a few months, so we may get a few of us together to run it.
- Thinking i"ll do couch to 5k or something since my ankles are getting better and my lower legs are getting better conditioned since I do all my walks in Vibramzzzzzz. I should be okay to ramp up running a bit more intelligently than last year.
- Just want to avoid shin splints and soft tissue problems.

Derek Weaver
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Little over 5 miles total today. Walking in the Vibramz. Funktified. Feet sore.

Arien Malec
12-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Vibramz and climbing shoes are good for tha funk.

Derek Weaver
12-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Vibramz and climbing shoes are good for tha funk.

On so many levels.

Derek Weaver
12-05-2011, 06:57 PM
About a 3 mile walk today.

Active rest. Starting to feel better from the burned out feelings.

I had a post last year, (or the year before) and noticed that I hadn't ever really recovered from pneumonia and other problems. Then I beat the hell out of myself again.

I'm determined to get rested and feel good before I even think about ramping intensity with any ME stuff.

Derek Weaver
12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
3 mile walk

Derek Weaver
12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
A little over 3 mile walk

Derek Weaver
12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
12/8/2011 Thursday
Deadlift practice @ 185
Dips + Chins 3 x 10

Abz later

2 mile walk. Short route today.

Derek Simonds
12-09-2011, 04:32 AM
I am starting to dream about pain free dipz...

Arien Malec
12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm dreaming about daily 3 mile walks :)

Derek Weaver
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I am starting to dream about pain free dipz...

How're the shoulders?

Oddly enough, with the shoulder problems I've had, I have felt really good doing dips. I have to be careful to keep the shoulders up, shoulder blades back an down etc.

I'm dreaming about daily 3 mile walks :)

I will probably make them the warmup for strength work, and then make strength stuff more practice like for as long as I can until mentally exploding.

Derek Weaver
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM
12/11/2011 Sunday
Deadlift practice working on stance width for a bunch of reps w/ just 135. Figured out a modified sumo stance more or less forces me to externally rotate on the right side, get the glutes + associated hip musculature to fire. Stick with this for a little, then make a couple week run up to a heavier weight and see if I can finally crack the 400. Probably make some sort of PTTP run out of it so I can make incremental progress as I move towards a mix of endurance. Probably the only way to keep from turning into a skinny dweeb and possibly make progress at both endeavors.

Dips and pull ups.

Derek Weaver
12-13-2011, 01:48 AM
I think a shade over 4 miles walking.

This is going to sound weird, but the modified/Coan style deadlift stance seems to be pretty effective for my intentions of rebalancing my hips.

Derek Weaver
12-14-2011, 12:27 AM
About 4.5 mile walk.

Derek Simonds
12-14-2011, 07:57 AM
How're the shoulders?

The left shoulder is a bundle of mess. I can't do dips or TGU's at all without shooting pain. I can press or bench as long as it is light and I am super tight.

I really wanted to do the TGU challenge for December but the only way I could have done it was with a 8 KG bell on the left and even then it hurt. Internal rotation of any kind is horrible.

I like the walks a lot. My dogs really liked the walks as well. Hmm.

Derek Weaver
12-15-2011, 12:47 AM
That's tough about the shoulder.

The walks are great though. I can break away for 30-60 minutes/day and I am way more relaxed than with lifting. I don't want to turn into a weak and skinny dork though, so some tweaking is still in order.

12/14/2011 Wednesday
Warmed up with the inchworm complex from Tony Gentilcore: http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/exercises-you-should-be-doing-inchworm-complex/
Coan Style Sumo DL 5 x 3 @ 185- light, easy, felt good. still working on making each rep and set up the same.
Dips and L-Chins 4 x 8 each

Derek Weaver
12-20-2011, 02:00 AM
12/19/2011 Mondaya
A) Coan style sumo dead for a bunch of light triples at 185. Took a couple sets of 5 conventional to see how it felt. (notes)
10 times through on the minute
B1) Chins x 4
B2) Band Pull Aparts x 4
B3) Dips x 4
Abz

Notes:
- Did an upper body circuit kind of like in the Tbag article from Monday.
- Spent the weekend in Reno with the fam for my Dad's 71st (!) birthday. I hadn't played for a while, but played (very) semi-professionally while in college. I learned to play at a young age (stud, draw games). Now, it's all hold 'em, which is the dunce's choice of poker. Either way, it's what they spread, and I like to sit around a table and be bored. Felt like Teddy KGB after a couple hours (in the beginning of Rounders, not the end). Played well in most hands except for one, which I lost big. In hindsight, I didn't play the hand well, but I could have actually played it worse, so I guess that's good.
- Going to try and pull light to medium 3-5x/week so I can get regular work along with the walks. Only takes 15-20 minutes, so if I plan it right, I can fit it often. Upper body stuff 2-3x/week.

Derek Simonds
12-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Rounders, wow that brings me back a bit.

Derek Weaver
12-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Rounders, wow that brings me back a bit.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_96Qi693ZMTs/Svp2jHIay1I/AAAAAAAAAeE/ZW3ypXlfASs/s400/KGB.jpg

Derek Weaver
12-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Did some stuff last week. Started to feel a lot better from a fatigue standpoint. Got hammered on Christmas Eve with some family friends. Wiped out yesterday but had a great Christmas.

12/26 Monday
6 rounds x 6 reps:
"Iron Cross GHR"
Lay Back Chins
Band Resisted Push ups

Notes:
- 50 minute walk earlier today.
- Feel good and starting to enjoy workouts again. Still tired from the weekend. Too many adult beverages, but well worth it with long time friends who are closer to us than most of our family.

Arien Malec
12-26-2011, 08:21 PM
- Feel good and starting to enjoy workouts again.

This is good!

Derek Weaver
12-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks. I think I was definitely into over reaching and was flirting with over training. Tough to tell until a full crash comes, but I feel a lot better now. Joints feel pretty good too.

12/27/2011
50 minute walk, not sure of distance + 20 minutes with the geezer dog.

Derek Weaver
12-29-2011, 11:24 PM
12/28/2011 Wednesday
Deadlift practice, messing with set up to make it more hip centric and less low back. Lots of reps and only went up to a smooth 225. Have to toy with this a bit more to see how things feel.

Iron Cross GHRs

Abs

Notes:
- This turned into a pull/hammie/light upper back thing today. Still a touch sore from Monday, so I took it easy. Could have pushed it, and probably should have, but I'm distracted a bit right now

Derek Weaver
12-29-2011, 11:25 PM
12/29/2011 Thursday
50 minute walk, just shy of 4 miles.

Look for a super walk tomorrow of ~8 miles if I can fit the time + workout. We'll see.

Derek Weaver
01-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I've been sick since 12/30. Got whatever this crupe is that's running around here.

Done a lot of stretching/MWOD and some body weight stuff. Not really feeling any better, but I'm not getting any worse.

Arien Malec
01-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Yuck. Ease back into it.

Derek Simonds
01-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Dang man, get better.

Derek Weaver
01-17-2012, 12:27 AM
12/16/2011 Monday
I was doing body weight stuff + mobs, but I figured I needed to rest and finally kick it.

About 90% better I think.

Today :
Pull up ladders 4 x (1,2,3)
Band resisted push ups 4 x 6
Glute stuff, single leg deads (bw), split squats etc.

Ab wheel

Notes:
- Felt fine.
- Thinking of following a deadlift + bodyweight + kbs/rucking type of routine. Nothing overly stringent since I have training ADD and enough to distract me. Still early, and I've got a week or two of not killing myself with workouts to get through first.

Arien Malec
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Still early, and I've got a week or two of not killing myself with workouts to get through first.

Easy and slow.

How 'bout a DJ 40 day program? Or a PTTP variant? Something where you work on easy for a bit?

Derek Weaver
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Easy and slow.

How 'bout a DJ 40 day program? Or a PTTP variant? Something where you work on easy for a bit?

Yeah, we'll see. I'll get bored at some point.

Right now, I'm working on loosening the left hip and ankle, and the right hip flexors. Strengthening and activating the right glute/hip extensors.

1/18/2011 Wednesday
Chins 3 x 7
Ring Push ups 3 x 10
Band Pull aparts 5 x 10
Miyagi's, Flutters etc on rings for whatever my abzzz could take.

Stretch.

Derek Weaver
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
1/20/2011 Friday
Screw around with bodyweight stuff. Still working on getting the right hip caught up/balanced/activated. Doing my best to stay away from other stuff until this begins to work out.

Arien Malec
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Good move.

Derek Weaver
01-24-2012, 02:25 AM
1/23/2011 Monday
Push ups 1-12-1
Diamonds x 22
Pull ups 1-3-1
Chins 1-3-1
Sternum chins 1-3-1
90/90 split suqats 3 x 8
Dips 2 x 8

Hollow holds, "squeezes" (from relaxed to hollow) etc.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2012, 05:00 AM
1/25/2011 Wednesday
Lower volume version of monday. Tri's and shoulders kinda sore.

Pushups 1-8-1
Skip diamonds
Pull ups 1-3-1
Sternum Chins 1-3-1 (notes)
Chins 1-3-1
Glute and leg stuff. 50 air squats. Working on mobility, super light conditioning of the legs etc.

No reason to pull or squat with a barbell. Bodyweight variations are plenty right now.

Hollow holds x 28 secs, 19 secs, 23 secs, x 10 "squeezes or whatever they would be called"

Notes:
- I've been up for 22 hours as of this post. I did this at 1 am and zoned out during the chins. I may have gone: chins 1-3-2-2-1-1, essentially doubling the downside of the pyramid for both sternum chins and regular. Not sure.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
PS
Slept about 6 hours, and woke up feeling like a million bucks. Short sleep, soreness about 90% gone.

On days that my ankles feel loose (probably to do with how my hips are feeling), I'm going to try and get some barefoot jogging on the grass. Gotta protect the soft tissues and eeeeeaaaaaase into it.

I don't think this will matter much if its a off day or not. Not strenuous enough to cut into recovery but enough to start working on conditioning in hopes of being able to run and condition more as spring and summer get here.

Arien Malec
01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Sleep = good

Agree that easy barefoot jogging should be active recovery.

Derek Weaver
01-28-2012, 11:24 PM
1/27/2012 Friday
A little sore:

ring push ups x 1/2/3/4/5
Pullups x 1/2/3/4/5

Handstand pushups against wall 5 x 2-3 reps
Sternum Chins with a pause at toop x 5 x 2-3
Band pull aparts
60 sec total of hollow hold (2 x 30sec)

Notes:
- Not bad. The bodyweight stuff is nice on the joints at the moment. If I can keep my focus (BIG IF), I may work towards a front lever and just add in deadlifts at some point, maybe KBs.
- I'm serious. Even with so many pushups this week, my shoulders feel incredible. They don't really hurt as long as I don't do anything stupid like I did before, but holy cow. Elbows a touch sore, but not a bad sore.

Remind me of this post when I go and do something stupid in a few weeks.

Derek Simonds
01-30-2012, 05:43 AM
Remind me of this post when I go and do something stupid in a few weeks.

Snicker...

Derek Weaver
01-31-2012, 03:10 AM
1/30/2012 Monday
Stretch, glute stuff.
1 arm push ups 6/side (r,l,r,l etc) with short break between sides.
Pushup Pyramid 1-10-1
Pull ups: 1,2,3,4,5
Tuck Lever Pull ups (or whatever they're called) 1,2,3,4,5
Sternum Pull ups: 1,2,3,4,5
Hollow hold for 60 secs total (34, 26)
Arch hold for a beat or two x a few
Some other crap that I can't remember the name of it that's hard.

My abzzzz are going to be sore.....

Derek Weaver
02-02-2012, 03:46 AM
2/1/2012 Wednesday
Stretch, mobility etc.

Ring Push ups 1/2/3 x 5
+
Sternum Chins 1/2/3 x 5

1/2 pistols for sets of 3 with a 2:1, R:L ratio. Can't remember how many sets.

90 secs total hollow hold + some arch holds. Got up to 42 seconds on the first hold. I don't think it's so much of an improvement as endurance through pain.

Band pull aparts: Hard to say how many, but somewhere between 100 and 1000.

Notes:
- None. 2 hours sleep last night and it's 3:46 am right now. Not feeling chipper.

Derek Weaver
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
2/3/2012 Friday
Chin and Pull up variations 5 x 3 w/ 15 added lbs, prolonged hold at the top.
+
Bulgarian Ring Dips BW 5 x 3 done hellllllaaa slow and all proper like

Abz

Notes:
- I realized that if I want to, I can make bodyweight stuff really freaking hard. No super slow stuff, just pause, concentric, pause, eccentric, hold. That kind of stuff.
- If I can get my other pull up bar set up soon, I'll start working on front level progressions.

Arien Malec
02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Bulgarian ring dips! Wow.

Derek Weaver
02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
On the first set, when I wasn't quite warm yet... it felt like my sternum was going to split. Then it was just hard.

Elbows and shoulders were oddly fine.

Derek Simonds
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
I am off to google Bulgarian ring dips. I know of no such thing. The BW stuff is progressing really nicely for you.

Derek Weaver
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks Derek. Holding off on turning into a skinny desk jockey and the joints feel really good.

On the Bulgarian Ring Dips, the hardest part was getting into support. I wonder if it's a flexibility thing, because once I get into support, it's not that bad, but getting there is tough. Weird.

Should I get the bug to get back to barbell lifting of some sort, I'll need to plot out a combo program or figure out a block schedule to move in and out of barbell lifting -> bodyweight -> barbell etc.

2/6/2012 Monday
Didn't really keep track of sets or reps today
Ring push ups + Pull ups
Ring 3/4 flyes + Pull ups
Fully Ring Flyes + Pull ups x 2 or 3 sets

Set of 8 chins to finish out and a 20 second handstand hold against the wall.

90 seconds total hollow hold.

Glute stuff

Notes:
- Ring flyes are stupid hard. It takes so much concentration to keep my shoulders from giving out in the down position. I got 2 in a row I think, backed off, got another. That was my best "set".

Derek Weaver
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
2/8/2012 Wednesday
Messed around with Bulgarian Ring Dips and Pull Up Variations. 1 arm push ups etc...

Sore

Did some handstand holds and HSPU against the wall yesterday.

Notes:
- Not much. Gotta figure out an actual program or some sort of a progression that I can plug workouts in to for the day.

Derek Weaver
02-12-2012, 02:18 PM
2/11/2012 Saturday
Handstand Wall Holds to a total of 3 minutes
L-Sit on Rings to a total of 60 seconds (shaaaaaky)
Frog Planche (I think that's what it's called) to a total of 30 seconds and the wrists didn't want it anymore
Tuck Front Lever to 3 Sternum Chins x dunno
Bulgarian Ring Dips x 3 x ??

Stretch + extra shoulder mobility + Jazillion Band Pull Aparts

Pistols x several (assisted) on the right leg trying to balance stuff out.
Notes:
- Messed around with a spin on Steve Low's Beginner Program on Eat Move Improve. Shortened time, and then lost track of what I was doing.
- So far, very pleasantly surprised at how good my shoulders feel. Wrists and elbows bark a little, but I've been smart about backing off and not doing anything excessively stupid.

Derek Weaver
02-14-2012, 02:11 AM
2/12/2012 Monday
Nothing too structured today:

Handstand holds + a press or two if I started to lose my balance when I tried to get free off the wall.

Push up variations + 3x3 1 arm push ups/side

Pull ups x 10, Wide grip chins x 10, Chins x 3- "Normal Style" no holding and hating life

A couple tuck levers for a couple seconds until i shook too much

60 total L-sits on the floor, pushing up off the knuckles

Tons of lower body mobility and shoulder mobility stuff.

Derek Simonds
02-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Looks like you are having fun. Tuck levers are challenging. Jr laughs at me when I used to do them as my face turns bright red and looks like it could shoot off my head. :D I look forward being able start working on the rings in the next 30 days.

Derek Weaver
02-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Looks like you are having fun. Tuck levers are challenging. Jr laughs at me when I used to do them as my face turns bright red and looks like it could shoot off my head. :D I look forward being able start working on the rings in the next 30 days.

Yeah, definitely a challenge. Doesn't seem like they should be... but they are.

Did some stuff last week along the same lines as above.

2/19/2012 Sunday
Warm the shoulders with push up variations
Handstand holds working to a free standing HS x 10 (maybe 8-15 seconds total, not freestanding)
Tuck Levers x 6-8 secs each (seriously, this hard?) x 10 or so I think + 6 pull ups after the first 3
Frog Tuck x 5 x 10 sec/average (balance, didn't feel heavy)
50 hollow rocks

2/20/2012 Monday
Deadlifts @ 135 x 10 x 3
HLR 3 x 8
Pistol practices

Notes:
- Felt light like it should. We'll see if I'm sore tomorrow. I suspect I will be, despite the warm up type weight.

Derek Simonds
02-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Ha I started to respond to you and then got distracted and wrote my entire workout update in your log.

I am going to do that add 1 rep a day additional work on push ups for the next 30 days to see how I do.

Derek Weaver
02-23-2012, 02:18 AM
That sort of pushup progression is nice. It's similar to the Chad Waterbury thing I did with airsquats, chins and pushups. I think you'll be happy with how your shoulders feel and that you'll probably put some beef on your chest, tris and a little on the shoulders. Volume and frequency without blowout = SWOLLLLLLLEEEEEEE SUCKAS.

2/22/2012 Wednesday
Fun one tonight. Realized I was due to workout a bit and made it a sort of flow thing. Stretching, T-Spine mobiilty, shoulders, hips, hams, hip flexors etc.

Bootstrapper pushups (I think that's what they're called) x 5 x 12

Handstand Holds on Wall x quite a few. *notes*

Back lever (tuck) x 6 x 10 seconds

Pull ups x 2 x 6 *notes*

L-Sit: x 1 x 8 seconds *nah*

Hollow Rocks x 70 total

Notes:
- fun, but toast. Like it though.
- I can do a pretty solid free standing negative down to the ground in a handstand. Pushing back up is a failure though. Not even close
- Back Lever tucks were a bit better. Shaky, but less so.
- Was going to do 3 x 3 tuck level pull ups, but that wasn't happening. Then 3 x 6 pull ups, but the second set was all she wrote.
- Abs fried. Gotta work on getting the scaps depressed and serratus engaged on the l-sits.

Derek Simonds
02-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Oooh I like SWWOOOLLLLLEEEEE... Nice workout last night.

Derek Weaver
02-25-2012, 01:48 PM
2/24/2012 Friday
Warmed up with mobility, rolling, pushup variations for ~60 total reps

Handstand Holds x 5 x ~10 sec then try to get frestanding. Didn't get it.
HSPU x 2 x 10

Couple planche progressions. Frog stand isn't too bad. Got into a sort of a bent arm, ball planche position a few times.

Front Pull + "Yewkis" progressions that I saw at the GB Wod: Ouch

Notes:
- Late night, working, got in a screw around workout. Supposed to be at some party tonight so I did some real work last night to free myself up for tonight.
- Got to put together a plan to progress through some of these. My joints feel good, shoulders feel nice and getting more mobile, not feeling like a twig or anything so far. Haven't done anything monumentally stupid yet....

We'll see.

Arien Malec
02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
My joints feel good, shoulders feel nice and getting more mobile, not feeling like a twig or anything so far. Haven't done anything monumentally stupid yet....

I just wanted to quote this for emphasis.

Derek Weaver
02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
I just wanted to quote this for emphasis.

On the "yet" or the whole sentence? I should have put "yet" in bold, italics, underlined, larger font...

Arien Malec
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Mostly to highlight the good parts, but yes, also to highlight the yet

Derek Weaver
02-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Note:
I guess I've been doing front lever work, not back lever. Go figure.

Yeah, yet is the key factor. It'll happen eventually.

2/26/2012 Sunday
Tired. Old dog's been waking me up to go out a lot lately. Weird schedule's screwing me up enough, but I don't know the last time I slept more than 3 hours without being woken up by something.

HS Bridge Wall Walks x 4 x 10 steps out. Do one, rest, do one, rest, not 4 straight through.
+
2 sets of 10 HSPU

Front Lever (tuck) x 8 x 10 seconds *notes*

Support Holds 4 x 15 seconds

TRX "IYTW" x 3 x 2 reps through each one

Abz

Notes:
- Tired.
- Levers better in that I'm less tucked, but I'd be lying if I said I got through each hold at 10 seconds straight. I probably got 4 or 5 at ten seconds, and the others ~8 seconds, I think. I hope.
- I'm always surprised at how fatigued my biceps, upper back, abs and even triceps are after doing these tuck levers.

Derek Weaver
03-01-2012, 02:51 AM
2 days off. Had the normal rest day on Monday, went to the Sharks game for a birthday party for a very close friend of the family. It was awesome. We were in some sort of executive or presidential suite in the club area. Food, full bar, then we had the first three rows full of people. I got to sit first row, on the mother-f'in ice. One of the coolest nights of my life, and I didn't even come close to having the most fun. One of those nights where everything just works. One of those nights where you're just thankful to be around and for the people that are in your life.

I don't do much in the way of religion these days, but something or someone out there has put me into a life that's a lot better than I realize a lot of times. I need to remember that more and better than I often do.

2/29/2012 Wednesday
Handstand Work x 5 max w/ an attempt at free work. When I lose it, I can usually stay somewhat vertical and do a negative HSPU.

Tuck Front Lever Holds x 5 x 12 sec hold (legit 12 tonight)

3 x 9 tuck yewkis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGMcEoDbg0)(link) - kind of, I guess.

5 Frog Stand and a handful of Tuck Planche holds- Frog stands can hold a while, ball planche, not so much.

A few ring biceps curls to get the swolz on
30 total v-ups

Notes:
- Not a bad workout. To keep from blowing myself out, I may either take a PTTP type approach to these workouts, hitting a Handstand Movement, Lever Progression, Planche Progression and 1 leg or deck squat movement. Not sure.
- If I go to a 3 or 4 day workout set up, it'll be something similar, but one day more focused on HS, another more on Lever, another on Planche, and rotate through with lower body still aimed balancing the hips.

Dunno.

Allen Yeh
03-01-2012, 03:47 AM
How has the training been going this past year?

Derek Simonds
03-01-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't do much in the way of religion these days, but something or someone out there has put me into a life that's a lot better than I realize a lot of times. I need to remember that more and better than I often do.

I try so hard to have an attitude of gratitude (what I call it with the kids, don't know where I heard it but like it). Every day I try and start and end with thanks. Lot's of stuff to be thankful for especially health.

Derek Weaver
03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I try so hard to have an attitude of gratitude (what I call it with the kids, don't know where I heard it but like it). Every day I try and start and end with thanks. Lot's of stuff to be thankful for especially health.

Indeed. Health and good friends and family are major reasons to be grateful.

Front row at the Sharks game is too, on a more shallow level.

Derek Weaver
03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
How has the training been going this past year?

Hey Allen,
Good to hear from you.

Training's been okay. Been trying to rebuild myself a bit and get things balanced. No real significant problems for a long while now.

I've lost my motivation to pile plates on the bar and just want to be "in shape", fairly strong and find something that I can sustain for a while.

The bodyweight/gymnastic strength exercises have been fun and humbling. I suppose if I lose access to a gym, developing some of these skills and movements is a good idea.

Makes for happy joints too as long as the wrists are prepped. So far.

How you been?

Derek Weaver
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Did some stuff on Friday and Monday that was pretty much like I did before. Just some chins and Ring Dips on Monday w/ a little work on the traffic stopping abz.

3/7/2012 Wednesday
2 x 10 Pull ups
3 x 3 Tuck Level Pull ups
3 x 10 Chins
IYT TRX for a few
40 Reps total of Ring Dips; not quite Bulgarians, but trying to get a little wider w/ the rings
Abz

Notes:
- A little foggy today, distracted, thought getting inverted with some handstand work wouldn't be the best idea.
- Getting into high gear with some professional ambitions. It's gonna be a bumpy ride...