PDA

View Full Version : 105+ Category

Allen Yeh
08-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Highlights from the 105+ category

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0819_hd_wlm_en148r1&channelcode=sportwl

Wow.

Richard Thomas
08-20-2008, 02:50 AM
That final went right down to the wire didn't it! Glad to see him win after hearing his circumstances.

(I can't view the NBC links as I am in Australia and the broadcast rights won't allow me to watch it!)

Allen Yeh
08-20-2008, 03:16 AM
It was crazy!

Patrick Donnelly
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
"We're talking putting the entire US women's gymnastics team on the bar, and lifting them over your head now. This is ridiculous."

Loved it.

Dave Paton
08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
i just watched it online. it was incredible. the celebration afterwards was awesome. Does anyone know how Casey B's PRs would've stacked up? Top 15?

Greg Everett
08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Casey's bests - 182 + 224 = 406 - would have placed him 10th overall, 3rd in the B session.

Leo Soubbotine
08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I was really hoping Chigishev would win. It's incredible that he's easily 50-70 lbs lighter than the other guys and he definately brought up his C&J - hopefully by next olympics he's still in the game!

Allen Yeh
08-21-2008, 06:09 AM
I was really hoping Chigishev would win. It's incredible that he's easily 50-70 lbs lighter than the other guys and he definately brought up his C&J - hopefully by next olympics he's still in the game!

Me too, I kind of don't lik that the SHW's have such a broad range of weights that they can compete in, wouldn't it make more sense to diversify the class?

I think Chigishev was 278#'s and one of the biggest guys I saw was 331 that is a 24kg difference!

Arien Malec
08-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Casey's bests - 182 + 224 = 406 - would have placed him 10th overall, 3rd in the B session.

I saw on GoHeavy, Mike Burgener speculating that if Casey lifted at his potential, he could have placed 8th.

Arien Malec
08-21-2008, 09:18 AM
That final went right down to the wire didn't it! Glad to see him win after hearing his circumstances.

There have been a large number of utterly thrilling men's contests this olympics, with the 105+ class being clearly the most emotional. Many of the weightclasses have been won by someone pulling a lift out of nowhere to take gold.

Unfortunately, on the women's side, there have been a number of incredibly boring contests, where the gold medalist opened her lifting at a weight 5 kilos over where the silver medalist stopped.

China did an amazing job of finding some incredibly talented women whose power, strength and technique is impressive.

Dave Paton
08-21-2008, 05:29 PM
i'm sure this question should be on GoHeavy, but I am a little intimidated on that forum so i'll ask it here: Did Melanie Roach go too light on her lifts? Does anyone know what the thought process was? Wouldn't you want to go to absolute max at the olympics?

Kevin Perry
08-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Chigishev was pretty amazing but the German lifter was impressive also and the medal ceremony was pretty emotional. It was a great competition.

Greg Everett
08-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Dave -

Melanie is a very consistent lifter and nearly always goes 5 for 6 or 6 for 6 at meets. She made 2 American records with her Oly performance. This is a question that was circulating for a while after she lifted, but it's impossible to say why she/the coaches decided on the attempts she made. I think she did an amazing job.

Arien Malec
08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Melanie is a very consistent lifter and nearly always goes 5 for 6 or 6 for 6 at meets. She made 2 American records with her Oly performance. This is a question that was circulating for a while after she lifted, but it's impossible to say why she/the coaches decided on the attempts she made. I think she did an amazing job.

The snatch was a PR for her (and an American record) and the C&J looked to me to be near the limit. She said "good call" to the coach, leading me to think she wanted higher but was glad she did the weight she did.

At best, she could have squeaked a few extra kilos out, at worst she would be a few kilos down, but it wouldn't have changed the final standings a bit (there were 7 kilos on either side of her).

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/WL/C73/WLW053000.shtml#WLW053A01

Dave Paton
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Yes, definitely awesome job and kudos to Melanie. It just looked like her 3rd attempts probably could have been her 2nd attempts. but only she knows the answer so it's probably not worth speculating.