PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mac's SS mass gain log

ryan mac
08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Sadly I've been at this strength and conditioning thing for far too long. Ultimately I had not reached the levels to which I aspired. Jan 1, 2008 I did my first ever CF workout. Over the following 7 months I improved in strength, lean muscle, flexibility, durability, mental fortitude and determination. I learned a great deal more information during that 7 month period in large part to CF principles, but I also picked up Starting Strength very early on. I had seen SS utilized by many to achieve new levels of strength. I felt like it was an intelligent move so that I could develop my technique in the important lifts. I believe I have enough knowledge at this point to do a true strength/mass building phase.

Please, if you have any suggestions or recommendations feel free to point them out at any time.

I will first start by putting in logs from the beginning of my program which started on August 4th, 2008.

Vitals:
Male 36 years old
Cyclist, mountain and road
Hockey player
A lovely supporting wife
Father of two 5yr daughter, 1yr son
182lbs
6'2"

Aug. 4th
Sport comments: Starting Strength:

Squat
45x10
95x10
135x5
155x5x3

Press
45x5x2
65x5
75x5
85x5
90x5x3

Dead
135x5x2
185x5
225x3
265x5

Aug. 7th
Squat
45x5x2
65x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
160x5x3

Bench Press
45x5x2
65x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
150x5x3

Power Clean
45x5x2 (hang)
95x3x2
105x5
115x3
120x5x3

Aug. 9th
Planks
90sec front
90sec L side
90sec R side
120sec stability ball

Squat:
65x5x3
85x5x2
105x5
135x5
150x5
165x5x3 work set

Press:
45x5x2
65x5
75x5
85x5
90x3
95x5x3 work set

Dead:
135x5x2
185x5
205x5
225x3
255x3
275x5 work set (hard)

Aug. 11th
Squat
45x5x3
75x5x2
115x5
140x5
160x5x3

Bench Press
45x5x3
65x5x2
95x5
135x5
150x3
160x5x3

BW back extension
x5
x5
x5
x5
x5

Strict Pull ups
x5
x5
x5
x5
x5

Aug. 13th
Plank FR 1:45
L side 1:45
R side 1:45
Stability ball front plank 2:00

Snatch practice:
PVC 5x2
15lb bar 5x2

Squat:
45x5x3
75x5x2
115x5
135x5
155x3
175x5x3 (missed the last rep, of the last set)

Press
45x5x3
65x5x2
75x5
85x5
95x3
100x5x3

Clean
45x5x2 (hang)
65x5x2
95x5
115x5
135x5x3

Out of town from Aug. 14th - 17th

Aug. 18th
Squat : *reset the weight on this*
45x5x3
75x5x2
95x5
115x5
135x5x3

Bench Press
45x5x2
65x5x2
95x5
115x5
150x3
165x5x3

Pull Ups
bw x 6
bw x 6
bw x 6

Back Extension
bw x 10
bw x 10
bw x 10

Allen Yeh
08-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Welcome to the board.

What does your nutrition look like at this point?

ryan mac
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Currently i'm eating mostly paleo. I have a relatively good grasp of nutrition, but I want to optimize this cycle. So any recommendations, criticisms or comments are welcome.

My goal is to eat between 4,500 to 5,000 calories per day. Shooting for 200+ grams of protien daily. I only started logging my nutrition yesterday, but you can check here (http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=flee22) for details.

I plan to make up the majority of my daily calories with the following food units:
Steak/pork/chicken (with a focus on steak)
eggs
olive oil
flax oil
broccoli (this gets a category all to itself. I eat it 3 times a day usually)
fresh fruit
fresh veggies
64oz of milk per day
almonds/cashews
ice cream

Ryan

ryan mac
08-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Today I was up at 6am. Unfortunately I didn't sleep well last night. Getting my sleep cycles sorted is one of my biggest challenges on this program.

Squats: (I recently reset the weight on this)
145x5x3 (work set)

Press:
105x5x3
this is getting heavy, I hope to go up for a few more weeks

Dead Lift:
280x5x1
this is also very heavy for me. Maybe with my increased volume of calories, I can continue to go up. I'll try to add 5lbs next week

Over all pretty good workout. Particularly with the lack of sleep. Focus on rest and recovery until my next work day.

Allen Yeh
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a good nutritional plan to me. Keep an eye on it as you progress.

Any supplements? Fish oil, ZMA...etc?

ryan mac
08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a good nutritional plan to me. Keep an eye on it as you progress.

Any supplements? Fish oil, ZMA...etc?

Fish oil. Yes.

ZMA. Never heard of it. Does it actually work? I'll check into it tonight.

Allen Yeh
08-22-2008, 04:46 AM
There is a substantial thread on this board. As a sleep/recovery aid I've found it to be great. I'm currently taking the NOW brand ZMA which you can look on google/froogle for $10 a bottle which is a month's worth.

Frank Needham
08-22-2008, 05:44 AM
It'll be interesting to see how things go with your progress. What is your ultimate goal?

ryan mac
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM
There is a substantial thread on this board. As a sleep/recovery aid I've found it to be great. I'm currently taking the NOW brand ZMA which you can look on google/froogle for $10 a bottle which is a month's worth.

Seems like a good price. Any side effects that you are aware of? I typically don't like to supplement, take over the counter meds, or substitute for whole foods. With that being said, I have considered creatine for improved recovery, so ZMA might be an option. The main issue is that with a greater commitment and discipline I can concur one of the main barriers to success. Sleep! I have no pattern. I am working hard to sort that out.

Thanks for the heads up on ZMA. I will post in my log if/when I start to utilize it.

ryan mac
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
It'll be interesting to see how things go with your progress. What is your ultimate goal?

Frank,

Here are some specific goals that I have outlined for my program.

Program Goals:

Increase strength
Back Squat 250lb single
Press 160lb single
Dead Lift 400lb single
Bench Press 225lb single
Clean 200lb single
Kipping Pull up 40 reps
Increase core strength

Increase Body Weight
20 to 30lbs of body weight
Notable increase in size of leg (quad/hamstring/calf), back size, shoulder size, glutes, trapezius, chest.
Minimize increase in waist/gut
Minimize increase in BF%

Baseline details (at start of program on Aug. 4th)
Weight 182lbs
13-18% BF
I have before pics.
Back Squat 185lb single (depth below parallel, but not like new depth)
Press 120lb single
Dead Lift 325lb single
Bench Press 190lb single
Clean (never done a single)
Kipping Pull Ups 26 reps
Fran as rxd - 9:34
Filthy 50 41:16 with scales
The Dead/HPC/FS/Jerk 135lb WOD Scaled to 95lbs 26:20
Cindy - 12 rounds + 5 pull ups + 10 push ups
Gwen 105lbs

Feel free to comment. I came up with many of these numbers without much thought. Didn't look at percentages or anything of the sort. I might be out of my mind on some, while others might be low.

Thanks,

Ryan

ryan mac
08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Help!

I have already encountered my first road block. Hopefully from what I have seen of this community, I can get sorted.

MILK! I thought it might be a problem. And it appears it is. It seems I have a milk allergy. And it is a prominent one. Prior to this strength program's beginning I had been off dairy for about 2 months thanks to the paleo diet. For the first time since I can remember I was not suffering from nasal congestion, throat/lung phlegm, allergy symptoms (sneezing, coughing, stuffy head), and finally cold symptoms when consuming milk in excess. I did a very short SS cycle in Feb. this year and was sick for almost 3 weeks straight. It was the heavy consumption of milk. I hoped that it was also due to gluten as I removed both from my diet at the same time.

It's got to be the milk. I basically started with the 64oz of milk 4 days ago and I am already noticing a difference. Allergy symptoms have returned. I have a stuffed up head, and I feel like I might be coming down with a cold. It could be the new sleep cycle, which is proving difficult (but i'm sticking with it no matter how hard because I know I will adapt).

Do I have any options? Should I try lactose intolerant milk to see if I experience the same results? What will be a caloric alternative to milk if I am unable to consume it in high quantity's? I don't know that I can eat any more solid food daily.

I'm also willing to be patient. I'm going to try to get most of my milk calories early in the day and see if they symptoms will dissipate by afternoon/evening when symptoms seem to be worse.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ryan

Derek Simonds
08-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I will be watching the responses. I think Rip has said just suck it up and do it if that is what you are after. I know that I feel the same exact way.

Frank Needham
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
If it made me feel that way I wouldn't do it, but everyone's different. How about raw milk or kefir? How about goat's milk? GM is basically the same except its not from a cow, and it is quite a bit more $$. We buy it for our boy and it is like $4+ for a quart....I've tried it and there's no real difference.

ryan mac
08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
If it made me feel that way I wouldn't do it, but everyone's different. How about raw milk or kefir? How about goat's milk? GM is basically the same except its not from a cow, and it is quite a bit more $$. We buy it for our boy and it is like $4+ for a quart....I've tried it and there's no real difference.

I might look into these options depending on responses and how things go over the next couple of weeks.

I have already consumed 52oz today. Currently i'm OK. So I might just try to get in the milk early and see how things go.

Pesto ehh Frank? :D

Gant Grimes
08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
There are a couple threads like this on strengthmill. Check them out.

I should've taken you for the kind of dude that has milk allergies...:cool:

ryan mac
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
There are a couple threads like this on strengthmill. Check them out.

I should've taken you for the kind of dude that has milk allergies...:cool:

Links?

Alas....if that were my only flaw. :D

Allen Yeh
08-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Seems like a good price. Any side effects that you are aware of? I typically don't like to supplement, take over the counter meds, or substitute for whole foods. With that being said, I have considered creatine for improved recovery, so ZMA might be an option. The main issue is that with a greater commitment and discipline I can concur one of the main barriers to success. Sleep! I have no pattern. I am working hard to sort that out.

Thanks for the heads up on ZMA. I will post in my log if/when I start to utilize it.

Crazy dreams is one side effect.

I know some people have complained of being unable to fall asleep but this seems to be the minority.

Thread number 1:

(http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127)

Thread number 2:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471

ryan mac
08-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I will be posting the worksets only.

Squat
155x5x3 This felt pretty good. Kind of heavy, but not a huge threat of missing.

Bench Press
170x5x3 This was heavy. I will continue to increase by 5lbs until I fail.

Normally I do Back extension and Strict pull ups but I didn't have the time today.

ryan mac
08-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Milk is OUT! I had a completely debilitating allergy attack on Saturday morning. Looking to stream line the calories needed to meet my goals. I can provide as much detail as needed. I need to know the exact amount of daily calories needed, and the macro nutrient break down to be successful on this cycle.

According to Fit Day:
BMI + daily activity level = 3,209 kcals
Lifting days will add another 500 to 900 kcals burned
Total = 3,700 to 4,100 kcals.

How much of a surplus do I need on calories to grow? Would it be acceptible/advisable to eat more calories ONLY on lifting days? Is it a bad idea for the macro nutrient break down to be 50% or more fat? Is there any reason to be consuming more than 200grams of protein per day, and would less on non lifting days be acceptable?

Looking for answers. I have already seen improvements. I want them to continue....but loosing the milk makes it more complicated. Thoughts? *I will also be posting this under the nutrition portion of the forum as it might get more input in that location. Thanks.

Workout today: I decided to lower all my weights across the board to allow for a little extra recovery.

Squat: I can basically sit on my calves now. It's awesome.
135x5x3

Press: My shoulder is always somewhat painful. I still need to consider acupuncture or seeing an orthopedic to diagnose the issue.
95x5x3

Power Clean: Focus on catching. Mainly did hangs, and jumping + the catch. I did one set of power cleans. The catch is getting better, but I need to develop more consistency
95x5x3

Ushered my daughter off to her 1st day of school. Hello Kindergarten.

ryan mac
08-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Well. I felt pretty good on my weekly ride. Legs felt strong.

I should have decided NOT to ride the second lap as it interferes to much with my strength training. I paid dearly for the mistake. I wrecked pretty hard on this lap and it is likely going to affect all my presses for some time. The shoulder is very sore. It's superficial, but it's a deep bruise. Maybe even a hematoma.

Stephen Brown
08-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I have a hard time believing that the second lap will be bad for your training. The crash however...

First the milk allergies, now the bike crashes. Being healthy is eating you up.

ryan mac
08-28-2008, 09:18 AM
I have a hard time believing that the second lap will be bad for your training. The crash however...

First the milk allergies, now the bike crashes. Being healthy is eating you up.

Hey brownie. Glad to see you over here.......bashing me. :D

You may in fact be right. I don't know for sure. But it has become apparent to me, that recovery is critical for gains. Particularly for us older lifters. I don't think riding my mountain bike, single speed at that, would be considered recovery between my workouts.

I am trying to increase weight with each workout. I need maximum strength to do so. I will continue to play around with the riding angle but I won't allow it to compromise my workouts. They are the focus at this time.

As far as the shoulder......it is already much better (lots of icing). Today was bench press and I had absolutely NO ill affects. Overhead is still quite painful. It's just a deep bruise to the lateral deltoid if I were a betting man.

Today's SS log
Squat: the weight felt on the light side, but the last couple of reps were difficult. No real threat of missing though
160x5x3

Bench Press: still going up in weight here. It's very heavy but I was still able to complete all reps. I will continue until I fail.
175x5x3

Strict PU's
BWx7x3

Back Ext:
BWx15x3

Super happy with this workout. Pleased that the heavy squat sets felt light enough on my back. Hopefully I can continue to go up for a while.

ryan mac
08-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Still doing well with the sleep cycle. Up again at 6am for another workout.

Squat: feeling heavy, but manageable. Wonder how long i'll be able to go up
165x5x3

Press: soon to be stuck. Don't know if I'll be able to get all reps next time.
110x5x3

Dead: i'm just happy I can do this. I can probably keep going up...but it's an insane amount of weight for me.
285x5x1

Great workout. I'm really happy with the sleep cycle. I just need to sleep a little better. I assume it's because my body is still not used to it. I'll just keep plugging away.

Side note. The shoulder felt fine in the over head press. In fact, it's my chronically painful left shoulder that was noticeable. The right....although it's bruised and scratched all to hell....fells fine. Again, it was just a deep bruise.

ryan mac
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Squat:
170x5x3

Bench Press:
180x4x2; 180x2x1

Clean:
145x5x3

Pleased with the Squat...I think I can go up a couple of more weeks. I knew the bench was ready for a stall. Need to work on the catch of the clean.

ryan mac
09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Today was a great workout. I hope to continue the trend. Exactly 1 month after my program began. I hope that it produces better recovery and increased strength.

Squat: I was happy to make all reps. I believe this can go up a few more times.
175x5x3

Press: I knew this would get stuck soon. I will try to get all reps next press workout. I'm still pleased with this weight.
115x5x2 - 115x4x1 -missed last rep in 3rd set

Dead: The dead still feels great. Again, it's heavy as hell, but I don't feel like i'm going to miss the reps. I reset my position after every rep. No more than 3 seconds between reps. With that in mind, I was able to complete all reps in a normal grip position.
290x5x1

I hope to continue to increase the weights. The eating is the hardest part. Yet, I know it is essential to maintain progress. I continue to add in more foods to try to reach my caloric goals.

Gant Grimes
09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Damn fine progress, Ryan!

ryan mac
09-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Damn fine progress, Ryan!

Thanks. I appreciate the support.

ryan mac
09-08-2008, 08:09 AM
This morning went really well. I have made a slight adjustment to my warm up sets, in order to limit their affect on my work sets. I was very focused on getting all reps on my back squat. I was expecting a major fight on the last reps of my work sets. I was pleasantly surprised.

Squat: really no threat of missing any reps. this seemed easier than my 175 work sets on Friday. I continue to gain weight and I had two recovery days. Impossible to say at this point which one made a difference or if it was some combination. I'm very happy with this progression. I'm optimistic that I will be able to increase in my future workouts.
180x5x3

Bench Press: well I missed some reps at this weight on Wednesday of last week. I kept the same weight, planning on getting all reps. I did. It will be interesting to see if I can continue to go up here as this was very heavy and the last rep was a battle
180x5x3

Power Clean: I continue to work on my form, which feels good at the lower weights. But when it gets heavy, I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. It's sloppy as all hell. I missed two reps, which I attribute to form issues. But I did each of those reps again so the work sets were complete
150x5x3

The challenge will be to see how the body handles the heavier weight, particularly the squat on a shorter rest period. I might move the workout to Thursday morning if I decide to ride on Tuesday night.

I started SS on Aug. 4th @ 182 to 183lbs. I weighed in yesterday at 197lbs. Things are going as good as I could expect.

Allen Yeh
09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
The creatine won't have that dramatic of an effect right away.

Good progress. On the power cleans I've noticed I get sloppy as it gets heavy as well. The best thing I've done is lengthen my rest a little and make sure I get a good starting position before every lift rather than trying to rush each rep per set. A typical set will look like:

Setup the lift, pull, catch, stand up, drop the weight
reset the bar
Repeat.

It might take a few seconds longer but I'm rather do it the right way than try to rush my set along.

ryan mac
09-08-2008, 09:08 AM
The creatine won't have that dramatic of an effect right away.

Good progress. On the power cleans I've noticed I get sloppy as it gets heavy as well. The best thing I've done is lengthen my rest a little and make sure I get a good starting position before every lift rather than trying to rush each rep per set. A typical set will look like:

Setup the lift, pull, catch, stand up, drop the weight
reset the bar
Repeat.

It might take a few seconds longer but I'm rather do it the right way than try to rush my set along.

Good advice. I will certainly take it into consideration. Thanks.

ryan mac
09-11-2008, 06:20 AM
It was tough times getting out of bed this morning. But I persevered. As you might guess, this didn't have me optimistic about my lifts. As mentioned many times over, preconceived notions are usually wrong, whether good or bad. So the lifting went well.

Squat: These are still feeling good. I plan to continue to go up in weight. It would be great if I could hit 200+ before I stall.
185x5x3

Press: It didn't surprise me that I couldn't complete the work sets. I will probably re-set this weight. I kept the weight and reduced the reps
120x3x3

Dead: I was feeling good, so I went up 10lbs from the previous WO. I wanted to hit 300lbs
300x5

The weight is still accumulating, both body and bar. I will just keep chuggin' along.

ryan mac
09-15-2008, 07:34 AM
199#'s I have been nursing a very stiff back for the past couple of days. It loosened up a lot yesterday with the help of some advil. This morning was in jeopardy. However, when I woke up I felt good to go. I really wanted to do this WO since I will be out of town for the next 5 days.

Squat: Still feel good on this. The weight was heavy, but I really didn't feel like I was going to miss. In fact, on the last rep of the last set, I did a 1 sec. pause in the hole. I didn't have too much of a problem standing up. It didn't hurt to watch some Ripp vids on Friday of last week talking about hip drive.
190x5x3

Bench Press: This is my second time to complete all reps at 180lbs. I might be able to go up 5lbs on the next one, but I might miss too. I guess I need some washers
180x5x3

Cleans: Out of time. Due to my travels I was more interested in spending the morning with my daughter and son. No big deal/

I'm happy to keep going up in weight on the squat. It's the focus of my work. As long as that happens I will be happy. Finally, my squat has handily passed my bench, so that is good news right there. I'm definitely accumulating some fat around the mid section. I'm also noticeably bigger in my chest, upper legs and glutes. The wife even commented. Things are going as planned.

ryan mac
10-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Off my game here for a bit. But i'm ready to roll again.

I'm going to mix it up a bit and incorporate some CF type stuff to keep the conditioning in better order. It was really tough to ride hard the past couple of times due to the added weight and no conditioning work.

Sept. 23rd
MTB ride 18miles. Hard pace

Sept. 25th
5 rounds for time 135lbs
15 dead lifts
12 hang power cleans
9 front squats
6 push jerk
I scaled to 95lbs. I stopped at 3 rounds as this was my conditioning wake up call.

Sept 28th
Race at OCNP
16 miles
Flat on first lap, while running 10th. Dropped chain on second lap as I did not secure my wheel well enough. Had to stop down for another repair.

Sept. 30
TNSS - Great ride
18 miles

Oct. 1st
26.5 miles recover road ride. Avg 16.7 mph.

ryan mac
10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Oct. 5th
Sansom race.
8 miles and then I had unrepairable tire failure
Coarse was super difficult.

Oct. 7th
Fran as rx'd
9:58

Oct 8th
24 mile road ride

I am going to do a hybrid program for a while. I need to add back in some met con. My conditioning went to shit on SS as expected. But this is the beautiful time to ride, so I need to get my conditioning back.

Going to mix MetCon, Strenght and Oly work. Lowering caloric intake to around 4k give or take. A little cleaner paleo.