PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Meal Replacement

Nick Cummings
12-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I have a busy schedule and when I am not busy there are 10 things I should be doing besides eating. I recently revived my old habit of making a protein shake in my blender once or twice a day. The ingrediants I throw in are milk, oatmeal, whey protein, and a banana. I chase this with olive oil. Anyone have any similiar recipes? Anyone have any paleo friendly recipes?

Scott Kustes
12-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Paleo friendly (although I don't use this so if it tastes bad don't blame me): ditch the milk and oatmeal, swap the whey for egg protein. Add fruit and some coconut oil and nuts and it might taste halfway decent. If not, hot sauce makes anything taste good.

Allen Yeh
12-20-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm not Paleo but I do use shakes in the morning becuase when I wake up at 4:30 am the last thing I want to do is make breakfast.

I typically use 16 ounces of milk or almond milk, one scoop of casein, 1 tbsp of greens powder, 2 tbsp's of milled flax seeds. I also take my first 10 of 20 fish oil pills of the day with this. I've found natural nut butters to be a great addition also.

Steve Shafley
12-20-2006, 06:25 AM
I think attempting "paleo" and "protein shake" all at once is probably a bad idea.

It's not religion, it's a matter of whether or not you tolerate that particular type or brand of whey (or other protein powder). If it doesn't make you feel weird, break out, or make you paranoid, and it satisfies you, then don't worry about it.

Some people are very sensitive to WPCs and WPIs might be a better choice. Others find more expensive proteins like MPIs or micellar caseins to be the way to go.

If maintaining "paleo" status is important to you, then eat meat. Make up some buffalo jerky.

If you want to add calories, try out coconut milk to mix your shakes in. I find that coconut milk is drastically cheaper at my local oriental groceries than in the regular grocery stores.

Neal Winkler
12-20-2006, 12:02 PM
I make my shakes with whey (because I'm too poor to afford egg protein), some kind of fruit like banana or apple (peeled), then with some frozen berries, topped off with coconut milk. I have used olive oil, before, but I prefer the very light tasting olive oil.

Mike ODonnell
12-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I've heard there is coconut milk with no sugar....never seen that. Almond milk and the like have too much sugar for me. I do whey too. (after all the recent talks and studies about caesin and it's neg affects, I'm cutting it out) Could always throw in a couple raw eggs (those give a cal boost too). Olive Oil is good for fat cal...or a couple tbsp of almond butter.

Steve Liberati
12-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Mike-
Coconut milk from Trader Joe's has zero grams of sugar. I use it regularly in my coffee, chocolate balls (desert) and tea. Believe it or not but it has a good taste to it.

For my morning shake (2-3 x's a week), I throw frozen berries, coconut shreds (much cheaper than oil), tsp of CLO, 3 raw eggs, 1 banana, 2 tsp of flax seeds, and a tsp of seasame seeds into a blender.

Other days I'll either fast or have eggs and bacon :>)

Mike ODonnell
12-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks Steve...as irony would have it they literally just opened a Trader Joes this week by my house (the first in GA I think)...and here I thought it was just good for the $3 wine!

Yael Grauer
12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
You gotta get the TJ's canned wild Alaskan salmon.

Scott Kustes
12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Steve...as irony would have it they literally just opened a Trader Joes this week by my house (the first in GA I think)...and here I thought it was just good for the $3 wine!
Argh! When will they get one in Louisville, KY? I'd buy enough stuff to keep them in business on my own!

Robb Wolf
12-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Second what Steve said. I have found this combo to be almost yummy:
1can coconut milk
protein powder (I've used egg...not tasty but what can you do for the dairy impaired?)
2 tblspns coco powder
dash of stevia
almond butter for some "substance".

This is ~1,000cals. 20 rep squat program anyone?

Scot- When TJ's came to Chico my quality of life improved 79.8% Approximately.

Mike Minium
12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
While we're discussing coconut milk...

For you TJ's shoppers out there, when you say you get your coconut milk from TJ's, are you talking about the Light Coconut Milk that comes in a green can?

That's the kind I get, but I'm bummed because it has only half of the fat content of normal coconut milk (I need as much fat as I can get). I lose out on 250 calories with each can I use.

Is there another type of coconut milk they sell at TJ's, like regular (fattier) coconut milk? I haven't been able to find it if so.

Greg Everett
01-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I haven't seen the real coconut milk at TJ's. I used to get mine at FoodMaxx (I would take the whole box). Cheaper and with all the fat!

Pierre Auge
01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
People must read this stuff and think "THESE PEOPLE A WACKED! Not enough fat content? More fat? WTF?"

Ahead of your time boys!

Michael Hill
01-06-2007, 05:52 PM
I looked on the label of my coconut milk (Wild Oats store brand) and it reads 5 grams of CHO per serving, giving me 30 grams per can. If you add some almond butter (3) and coco (2), this brings the total CHO in the shake to about 35 grams. If I remember my arithmetic correctly that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for green stuff on a 50-60 gram CHO limit.

Are the labels wrong? The only ingredients are coconut milk and guar gum. Or am I just worrying about nothing? :confused: BTW, I'm following a cyclical low carb diet, hence the 50-60 g limit.

Thanks for any help.

Pierre Auge
01-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Robb, you and Mary Dan Eades just inspired perhaps the greatest breakthrough in Paleo Meal replacement EVER!

Ref. http://www.proteinpower.com/drmd/archives/2005/12/

Homemade Custard-Style EggNog

1 Can Coconut Milk (~2 Cups)
8 whole eggs
3/4 cup granular Splenda
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)

1. Heat coconut milk over medium low heat in a heavy pan.
2. Separate the whites from 2 of the eggs and refrigerate and reserve to whip later.
3. Beat the 2 yolks and 6 whole eggs with the granular Splenda until pale yellow.
4. Temper the egg mixture (to prevent curdling) with about 1 cup of the hot cream, dribbling in a bit at a time as you beat with a whisk.
5. Pour the tempered egg mixture into the remaining hot coconut milk and stir continuously over medium low heat for about 4 or 5 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken very slightly and will just coat the back of a spoon.
6. Strain through a mesh seive to remove any lumps or clumps.
7. Stir in the nutmeg, the vanilla, and the liquors.
8. Pour into a gallon zip closure bag, seal tightly, and quick chill by placing the bag flat in the bottom of a shallow pan (a broiler pan works well) and covering with ice and water.
9. Once cool, place zip bag in refrigerator and chill eggnog base for at least 1 hour--longer if you have time.
10. Just at serving time, whip the reserved egg whites and 1 packet Splenda to soft peaks. Whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream with 1 packet Splenda to stiff peaks.
11. Pour the chilled nog mixture into a serving bowl, gently fold in the beaten egg whites and then the whipped cream, leaving some chunks of meringue or whipped cream visible in the mixture.
12. Grate or sprinkle a bit more nutmeg on top.

Now, ladle into a cup and drink a toast to your health and happiness this holiday season and in the coming year!

Technically it should work, coconut milk has a very similar cooking consistency to heavy cream when applied to heat and being mostly saturates unaffected by high heat. Dudes Coconut Egg Nog are you with me on this one?

Steve Shafley
01-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Magnificent.

Pierre Auge
01-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Magnificent.

Oh yeah I know you can feel it Steve this is going to become one of two things. 1) A staple in the daily dietary musings of the paleo athlete.
or
2) Something completely wretched!

I'm rooting for option number 1. Why the hell not? Eggs, Nutmeg, Coconut and BOOZE, what more could you ask for in a calorically not to mention nutrient dense performance supplement? Add a tsp of fish oil and you've got the makings of greatness!

Yael Grauer
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
That's funny, I had the same problem when i went to TJ's yesterday. They only had "light" coconut milk. So I just use twice as much. :)

Here's a meal replacement shake I used to replace my raw milk/raw eggs/blueberries shake that I'm bored with. This is enough for breakfast for several days (for me, I'm little.) I guess I should add more eggs to this for more protein but I think it's yummy! Sometimes I eat some scrambled eggs too and then just take my shake to work.

2 raw eggs
2 scoops hemp protein and fiber powder
1 bag frozen organic blueberries
1 "green" banana
1 tbsp probiotic BerryGreen powder
2 cans coconut milk
1 tbsp cinnamon-flavored CLO
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp or tbsp cacao nibs
1 tsp bee pollen

Scott Kustes
01-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I made one today that was good.

1 small can of coconut milk (only 5.5oz...all I had)
1 square of Giradelli 100% cocoa (need to get some powder)
Almond butter
Unsweet apple sauce
2 eggs
Cinnamon

It was pretty dang tasty.

Mike ODonnell
01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
This is all great stuff! Went to TJs today (only opened a month ago) and hunted for the "light" (all they had) coconut milk and organic coco powder...look forward to the many experiments that now will follow. Yummmm.

Now I am assuming the following?
1) You have to use a blender and it is not really shakeable
2) No additional water is required

Scott Kustes
01-08-2007, 05:30 AM
This is all great stuff! Went to TJs today (only opened a month ago) and hunted for the "light" (all they had) coconut milk and organic coco powder...look forward to the many experiments that now will follow. Yummmm.

Now I am assuming the following?
1) You have to use a blender and it is not really shakeable
2) No additional water is required
1) I use a blender, but it may be shakeable.
2) Depends on how thick you want it.

Allen Yeh
01-08-2007, 05:56 AM
After reading a few of these recommending coconut milk from TJ's I went ahead and got some for my little IF experiment I'm doing at the moment and I guess I'm just behind on my nutritional literature because it said it was 5 grams of fat per serving...which is cool but 4 grams of that is saturated? Is that no problem I would assume but I'd like to know why?

Mike,
There is an almond milk at TJ's that has no sugar btw, I just bought some this weekend I think it's called Almond Breeze, there are sweetened and non sweetened versions.

Mike ODonnell
01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
I am assuming that Coconut Milk is pretty much the same as Coconut Oil and water? So after a little math....one can of coconut milk is (light brand) 25grams of fat at $0.99 a can. You can get a jar of coconut Oil for what...$10? The jar servings are 17grams and has 30 servings. So is the coconut milk really cost effective or would it seems that getting a jar of coconut oil and adding it to shakes be more reasonable?

Yael Grauer
01-08-2007, 12:08 PM
What about the yumminess factor?

Scott Kustes
01-08-2007, 01:53 PM
It's not the same as oil and water as it contains carbs and protein to go with the fat, whereas the oil is 14g of fat per serving...pure oil.

Yael Grauer
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't have my coconut milk right in front of me, but iirc it is all fat.

Robb Wolf
01-08-2007, 05:55 PM
After reading a few of these recommending coconut milk from TJ's I went ahead and got some for my little IF experiment I'm doing at the moment and I guess I'm just behind on my nutritional literature because it said it was 5 grams of fat per serving...which is cool but 4 grams of that is saturated? Is that no problem I would assume but I'd like to know why?

Mike,
There is an almond milk at TJ's that has no sugar btw, I just bought some this weekend I think it's called Almond Breeze, there are sweetened and non sweetened versions.

Allen-
so long as you have a balance of sat, monos and n-3/6 you are fine with some coconut milk. Steve S. mentioned asian food markets as a source for inexpensive but good quality CM. Great idea.

Allen Yeh
01-09-2007, 03:31 AM
It's not the same as oil and water as it contains carbs and protein to go with the fat, whereas the oil is 14g of fat per serving...pure oil.

The stuff I got at Trader Joes is 5 grams fat per serving, >1 grams carbs and >1 grams protein. 5 servings per can.

Scott Kustes
01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
The stuff I got at Trader Joes is 5 grams fat per serving, >1 grams carbs and >1 grams protein. 5 servings per can.
I just ran a Google for "coconut milk nutrition information" so it may have been incorrect. I will check the coconut milk I have at home tonight.

Pierre Auge
01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Scott,
this is about the most useful nutritional tool you will have find.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

It will give you very detailed nutritional values on a great number of foods.

Mike ODonnell
01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Pierre....that thing is useless if it can't find the basic elements of nutrition....

"Search result from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference

Click on the round "button" next to the item of interest. Then click on the Submit button.
Click here to enter a new query.
Found items about : guinness Not Found!

Please check your spelling, or try a related term again. "

Pierre Auge
01-09-2007, 05:29 PM
LOL,
search beer!

I thought you were serious until the last line, geeze... I didn't know what to think for that second or two.

Mike ODonnell
01-09-2007, 05:47 PM
These are my only choices??? Put them under "water" or just "crap".....USDA owned by Bud?? Wow....

Alcoholic beverage, beer, light
Alcoholic beverage, beer, light, BUD LIGHT
Alcoholic beverage, beer, light, BUDWEISER SELECT
Alcoholic beverage, beer, light, MICHELOB ULTRA
Alcoholic beverage, beer, regular, all
Alcoholic beverage, beer, regular, BUDWEISER

Pierre Auge
01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
I agree with you there pure crap!

What I think is cool though is that alcohol has 7kcal/per gram. Which means if you really want to supplement for mass gain and you're looking for lots of calories real easy ;)

Scott Kustes
01-10-2007, 06:45 AM
An alcohol and fat shake PWO would be a great caloric boost. Hmmm...next up, coconut milk, coconut rum, and whiskey PWO shake! And a touch of cinnamon.

Mike ODonnell
01-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I'll start branding my "Whey Guinness Post Workout Drink"

Robb Wolf
01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
I think that is the Sumo diet...for real. Beer, white rice and a "little" fish. Works for them!

Pierre Auge
01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Good Lord to be a big ass fat guy!

Pierre Auge
04-04-2007, 04:59 AM
MOD,
I was reviewing this thread for some ideas and keep seeing your Guiness posts. Dude that shit is gross, I honestly have no idea how you can drink it, its like syrup!

Anyway my thoughts are now:
1 can coconut milk
1 cup pasteurized egg whites
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp coffee extract or concentrate

Mike ODonnell
04-04-2007, 06:07 AM
and now Pierre has made it personal........

it's like Mother's Milk to any Irishman.....looks bad....tastes sooooo good....

Robb Wolf
04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
MOD,
I was reviewing this thread for some ideas and keep seeing your Guiness posts. Dude that shit is gross, I honestly have no idea how you can drink it, its like syrup!

Anyway my thoughts are now:
1 can coconut milk
1 cup pasteurized egg whites
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp coffee extract or concentrate

Pierre, yoou are a friend but those are damn near fight'n words! I'm still on the wrong side of the "gluten iron curtain" from my precious Guiness....just amking do with RedBridge...

Scott Kustes
04-04-2007, 09:47 AM
MOD,
Motion to ban Pierre. All in favor say "I".

Derek Simonds
04-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Man there are some people who are awful sensitive about Guiness on here.

My best friend and I used to use the Guiness / PWO Shake methodology many years ago to add mass and keep us feeling tip top.

Pierre Auge
04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
LOL I'm just messin' with you folks, I admit Guiness isn't my fav but its not bad!

Dave Van Skike
04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Motion to ban Pierre. All in favor say "I".

Seconded.

Of the three food groups; Guinness, meat and inky black espresso, Guinness is the only one truly essential to human life.

Mike ODonnell
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Messing about Guiness with an Irishman is like going into a bar in Canada and turning off the hockey game for American Idol....it's just not done.....and you don't make it out alive....

Pierre Auge
04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
MOD,

someday I'll bring you a real Irish beer - Alexander Keith's and you'll wonder what you've been doing without it all your life... Its lower carb then Guiness and higher alcohol content, tastes better too, frankly thats all a bad combination because you end up getting shittered alot faster!

I guess the old adage of "If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?" is true. If you never knew anything better existed you wouldn't miss it!

I know, I know, you're going to kill me - but someone of sound mind had to say something eventually!

Peace...

And to be truthfull a Canadian sports bar will have about 50 individual TV's in it all showing different stuff. If anyone were to change one TV to American Idol someone would call that person a fag, the tv would get switched back and that would be the end of it on average if anyone even cared enough to say anything! Some exceptions apply...

We're mostly far to complacent to care!

Pierre Auge
04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
1 can coconut milk
1 cup egg whites
1 tsp brown sugar splenda

REALLY YUMMY! Like really! But OMG is it hard to get the whole thing into you!

800 calories

Chris Forbis
04-05-2007, 02:31 AM
I've been doing 3 scoops of MRM Metabolic Whey (chocolate) and 1 can of coconut milk. 1100 calories... ~77g of protein. It's been helping with the mass gain tremenedously, methinks.

Pierre Auge
04-05-2007, 02:49 AM
I really can't handle the Whey so I use the pasteurized egg whites it has greater nutrient density as well.

Greg Davis
04-05-2007, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Shake I just created:

Coconut kefir
Avocado
Raw egg
Hemp protein
Berries
Cinnamon
Green tea

Pierre Auge
04-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Greg,
is it any good?

Scott Kustes
04-05-2007, 10:38 AM
But OMG is it hard to get the whole thing into you!
:eek:

Greg Davis
04-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Yeah it tasts great.. the coconut kefir is a bit of a process to make but you can make a bunch to last 3 weeks and then yer good to go..

Good balance of sat from the coconut, mono from the avocado, and a small amout poly from the hemp.

I love this shake cuz its easily digestible and thats what I need cuz sometimes I climb in the evenings and need something after (but I'm not down with meals at night)

Robb Wolf
04-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Shake I just created:

Coconut kefir
Avocado
Raw egg
Hemp protein
Berries
Cinnamon
Green tea

I think I might need to double or triple up on the hemp to get that down. Then i suspect anything goes!

Sam Cannons
04-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Here a fav pwo shake of mine,

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 bannana
2 eggs
5g creatine

Sam In Aus

Nikki Young
05-14-2007, 01:01 AM
The MRP i use tastes awesome blended with water, i've tried whey and egg albumen before and couldn't stomach either without mixing with milk ( i couldnt stomach egg albumen at all actually).

I thought up a few shake recipes and names for them as more of a desert thing! I quite liked these ones;

Pecan and Date Shake

Blend together until smooth;
10 ice cubes
2/3 cup water
5 dates
8 pecan halves
2 scoops Protein powder

Coconut and Vanilla Gorilla Shake

8 ice-cubes
˝ cup light coconut milk
1/3 cup water
1˝tbs shredded coconut
˝ vanilla bean pods
2 scoops Protein Powder

Sunflower Power

8 ice-cubes
2/3 cup water
3tbs sunflower seeds
2 scoops Protein Powder

I also love making a shake with vanilla MRP with HEAPS of frozen rasberries, goes all thick and creamy.. soo good.

Pierre Auge
05-18-2007, 08:08 PM
This is what I'm having these days and it really is good.

3 whole eggs
3/4 cup egg whites
2 bananas
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1 heaping tsp cocoa

No Sweetner required!

thats all I had so I thought I was going to have to make do with something nasty but geeze was I pleasantly surprized at how very good it is. That's a 6 block shake with about 52 blocks of fat. - 8 3/4xFat

42g Protein = 168cal
54g Carb = 216cal
78g Fat = 546cal
54g Fat = 378cal (1/4 cup Olive Oil)
24g Fat = 168cal (1/2 cup Coconut Milk)

Total Calories = 930 Easy to Swallow Calories! SWEET

Michael Miller
06-02-2007, 02:13 AM
I usually cut my coconut milk with water to make it go further, also to cut the sugar. 1 can of milk to 1 can of water, i have even gone as far as 1 can of milk to 3 cans of water when i was short on funds. I just keep a gallon jug of it in the fridge then shake when i'm ready to use. Here are afew smoothie recipes i've been tinkering with...

Banana Berry:
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1 Banana
1 Handfull Frozen Mixed Berries
1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseed
1 Scoop Protien Powder Of Your Choice
1 Handfull Ice Cubes

Pina Colada:
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1/4 Cup Crushed Pineapple (Unsweetened)
1 Banana
1 Scoop Protien Powder Of Your choice
1/4 Cup Macadamia Nuts
Stevia To Taste (Optional)
1 Handfull Ice Cubes

Orange Julius:
1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 Oranges
2 Eggs
1 Scraped Vanilla Bean
1 Handfull Ice Cubes

Iced Cafe Mocha:
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1-2 Shots Espresso Or Strong Coffee
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
1 Scoop Protien Powder Of Your choice
1/4 Cup Hazelnuts
1 Handfull Ice Cubes

Iced Chai:
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1 Cup Strong Chai Tea (Cooled)
1 Handfull Ice Cubes

You can also take any of these smoothie recipes, pour them into a cup, and put them in the freezer for 1 hour for a ice cream like treat.

If anyone has a good protien bar recipe i would be interested! I have been experimenting with coconut flour, eggs, nuts, seeds, berries, spices etc.

Sam Cannons
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
The To Lazy To Cook Breakfast, Breakfast

2/3 Cup of Oats
1 Cup Berries
2 Eggs
60g Protein Powder
Dozen Macadamia Nuts
˝ Cup Water
˝ Cup Coconut Milk