PDA

View Full Version : steve's log (bw/gymnastics)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Steven Low
02-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Sat: 9 hours. Thankfully.

Okay so.. weighted pullups recovery work...

Weighted pullups: 10 mins every 30s (20 total) of +50 lbs

Started out as every minute, but first felt too easy so I just went with every 30s. Ended up being too easy anyway. Went with the formula of (weight + weighted weight)/(weight + max weighted pullup) = (130 + 50)/(130+130) = 69% 1 RM.... which turned out to be too easy. Maybe need to go with like 80% or something... BUT on the other hand it is a rest week.

RTO at top ring dips: 1x20

ER/IR work for shoulders + a bit of lat/chest stretching. Feels much better now.

Wrist prehab. Knee massage + rehab + ice.

George Mounce
02-22-2009, 06:18 AM
I think you'd rather enjoy the fact its a rest week for you. Have you tried Barry's stuff yet, as I can't go to that forum anymore...and can't read it, just wondering if you had tried it out during your rest week.

Steven Low
02-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I think you'd rather enjoy the fact its a rest week for you. Have you tried Barry's stuff yet, as I can't go to that forum anymore...and can't read it, just wondering if you had tried it out during your rest week.
Yeah, that's what I was experimenting with now. We'll see how it works... shrug. :p

I usually just do nothing, but as I get stronger I find that I need to keep it medium/low intensity otherwise I actually lose strength by just full out resting and doing nothing. Kinda corny. So that's why I was experimenting with Barry's stuff in the first place.. or might move onto my own experiments for low/medium intensity work.

George Mounce
02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah, that's what I was experimenting with now. We'll see how it works... shrug. :p

I usually just do nothing, but as I get stronger I find that I need to keep it medium/low intensity otherwise I actually lose strength by just full out resting and doing nothing. Kinda corny. So that's why I was experimenting with Barry's stuff in the first place.. or might move onto my own experiments for low/medium intensity work.

Cool, it will be interesting to see what you come up with. I started a log over at the Gymnastic Bodies with the template you helped Chris come up with to give that community a chance to give comments. Going with the first full week of it starting tomorrow. I'm excited to see how I feel come next weekend.

I will say one thing about gymnastics training - my forearms have never been sore like this! :)

George Mounce
02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
One more question, going to update your workout construction paper to involve more of gymnastics type things with Coach Sommer's new website and books?

Steven Low
02-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Sun: 8 hours

6 rounds +25 lbs
5 pullups
5 ring dips

ER/IR work + massage for shoulder. Ice & massage for knee. Prehab for wrist.

Basically, lazy workout above... no rush as it was untimed. Just recovery work. :)

Chris Salvato
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about writing up something specifically for bodyweight programming... in the future. Don't have the motivation to do it now.

I have also written down the format of my training structure as well, so that's in the work too.

I definitely think your programming is superior to Sommer's. Steady state seems wickedly boring....

Charles Moreland
02-23-2009, 06:05 PM
One thing about Sommer and steady state, I think Sommer's been teaching kids for an extremely long time. While steady state may be a great way to get a 5 year old a front lever, it may not (and probably isn't) the most effective way to get an adult one.

jake oleander
02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
steve is a great athlete and definitely a guru of bodyweight strength training, but calling his programming superior to sommer's is a bit of a stretch, heh. :o

you know i got love for you, steve. :D :cool: :eek:

Steven Low
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
steve is a great athlete and definitely a guru of bodyweight strength training, but calling his programming superior to sommer's is a bit of a stretch, heh. :o

you know i got love for you, steve. :D :cool: :eek:
Well, I've found my method is superior for gaining strength in the short term at least.... but injuries are more of a concern given consistently higher intensity than in his program from what I've seen.

I *seem* to be at the level of strength of some of his older athletes that have probably been doing his strength work for at least a few more years than I have. Maybe true, maybe not.

It is what it is really... find something you like that works and go with it. There's generally multiple ways about getting to the same goal!

--------------------------------

Mon: 7 hrs

3 sets:
8 rings adv. tuck PL pushups
5 FL pullups

PL pushups felt pretty good. FL pullups degraded to slightly hollow as I fatigued. That's fine though.

Probably the "most" intense one I've done so far, but the volume is so low and my work capacity should still be enough that this is recovery.

1. Rice bucket the wrists.
2. Ice & massage & jumping work for the knee.
3. Massage & ER/IR & ice for shoulder.

Derek Weaver
02-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Hey Steve, I missed it way back when, but what happened to the knee?

Steven Low
02-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey Steve, I missed it way back when, but what happened to the knee?
Oct 5th, 2007

Ugh. Seriously. Okay, so I was practicing some wall runs and then started doing some other leg wall runs with top outs. On my last top out before I was about to move on I maybe either hit the wall or pushed my leg back too fast for the top out or something. The area where the patellar tendon attaches to the knee (where Osgood Schlatter's is basically) is in a huge amount of pain. I stayed off it for the rest of the jam and worked on some bar stuff, underbars, turn vaults (with really one leg takeoffs) and some other stuff. Then I iced. Man, it still hurts to bend my knee at all though. I hope it's only sprained and goes away especially since it was on my overuse injury leg; I think something in there either just broke because I'm pretty sure I didn't hit it.. but I don't remember it too well because the climb up went extremely fast.

Oct 10th, 2007

Welp, looks like I got it confirmed (by said aspiring PT) as my patellar tendon pulling away from my tibia. Nice. Looks like I'm going to be out for at least a month or two or maybe more. Dunno if I'll be able to do much after it heals either since it will be already partially weak from said tear. Sigh.. we'll see though. [...]

Between then and now... ~5-6 reinjuries from going too intensely. -_- Each time progresses slower than last time so..

Derek Weaver
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I remember several posts over the last year + mentioning your knee and never realized how or what you had done to hurt it.

I'm no stranger to reinjuring limbs and joints... With your bodyweight training expertise it seems it's been more than manageable for you. I'd be screwed.

Here's a to a speedy recovery (again).

George Mounce
02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
As you've helped me and Chris with programs, I'm looking forward to your writeup on your bodyweight programming.

jake oleander
02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Well, I've found my method is superior for gaining strength in the short term at least.... but injuries are more of a concern given consistently higher intensity than in his program from what I've seen.

I *seem* to be at the level of strength of some of his older athletes that have probably been doing his strength work for at least a few more years than I have. Maybe true, maybe not.

It is what it is really... find something you like that works and go with it. There's generally multiple ways about getting to the same goal!

Thats all true, but his programming is more broad than just strength. He is training a number of athletes, some of whom will be future olympic gymnasts, in a wide variety of disciplines. Your training is mostly for yourself and focuses on pure strength.
Coach Sommer is a premier gymnastics coach of world-wide reputation. Personally, I don't even like the the guy too much and would rather ask questions to you. lol. you gotta respect his programming though...

Steven Low
02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I remember several posts over the last year + mentioning your knee and never realized how or what you had done to hurt it.

I'm no stranger to reinjuring limbs and joints... With your bodyweight training expertise it seems it's been more than manageable for you. I'd be screwed.

Here's a to a speedy recovery (again).

Yes, hopefully, haha. Feels pretty good today actually.

As you've helped me and Chris with programs, I'm looking forward to your writeup on your bodyweight programming.

I'll try to spare the motivation for it... sometime, lol. "How to construct..." always comes in spurts of inspiration. Can't just bang out articles anymore like I used to. :(

Thats all true, but his programming is more broad than just strength. He is training a number of athletes, some of whom will be future olympic gymnasts, in a wide variety of disciplines. Your training is mostly for yourself and focuses on pure strength.
Coach Sommer is a premier gymnastics coach of world-wide reputation. Personally, I don't even like the the guy too much and would rather ask questions to you. lol. you gotta respect his programming though...

This is true. That's why purely for strength I stick with my stuff, mostly because that's what my experience has been aiming for it all these years (3.5 now about). It was actually pretty fun going through multitudes of different types of training to see what works... but I do like the quick rate of improvement I am getting now that I have found something that works REALLY well.

On the other hand, if I was training gymnastics still I would DEFINIETLY be asking questions everyday on how he operates everything in his program. Technique/skill work, strength, flexibility, injury prevention, etc... I am nowhere near his level of skill of integration of all those things into one program. When you have 3-4 hr practices 5-6 days a week you can't focus purely on strength at all because it can interfere with everything else... so his workouts reflect that.

Hopefully some day.

Steven Low
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Tues: 6 hrs + 2 hrs

Full rest today.

Some coaching and then a couple press handstands and a straddle planche attempt. The straddle planche ended up being a non-shaking solid 3-4s hold, but I asked someone who saw it and he said it was slightly high so boo. Oh well, but I feel MUCH stronger than before.

Massage = shoulder, knee, wrist
Ice = shoulder, knee
Prehab = just wrist today (shoulder gets a break).

Okay so I'm probably gonna start up strength again on either Wed or Thurs.

I am not going to do much, if at all, OAC this week probably.. let my shoulder get stronger with ER/IR first. Build back up with some sequences or movements, and then transition over in a week or two to OAC hopefully. Maltese + planche will be a priority along with some type of pulling work I haven't selected yet.

edit: ah yes, also now 134 lbs... was 132 lbs same time last week.. so I supercompensated 2 lbs of something. Hopefully ALL muscle (though unlikely, haha)...

Steven Low
02-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Weds: 7 hrs

Rest again. Was actually too tired to workout later. Oh well.

Did 30 dips at work + some agility work.

We'll see what happens Thurs.. I am expecting to do a light workout at the very least.

Steven Low
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Thurs: 9 hrs

5 sets:
5 RTO dips to adv. tuck PL
5 Yewkis

Felt pretty good although tired... bit sore from yesterdays dips, lol. Will evaluate tomorrow if I wanna workout then or Sat. Something very light Sunday and then Mon we will start the cycle most likely.

New format for prehab/rehab:

1. B shoulder = ER/IR work, massage..... Feels GREAT. OAC work here we come next week.
2. R knee = massage, ice, jogging/agility..... Little sore to the touch.
3. R wrist = massage, ice..... Feels pretty good now.

Steven Low
02-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Fri: 3.5 + .5 + .5

4x of rings hollow back to shoulder stand, partial elevator negative & reverse everything

Light work. Probably will do something tomorrow. Tired from today.

1. B shoulder = massage..... feel good.
2. R knee = massage, ice, some lifting..... bit sore - we'll see how it is tomorrow.
3. R wrist = massage..... kind of on and off nagging now. Will do prehab tomorrow.

Steven Low
03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Sat: 3.5 hrs + 2 hrs.

Junky... rest.

Did basically nothing but eat.

Also met CFers (well, for lack of a better term) Jamie Skibicki & Emily Maisannes. Nice people... I suppose. ;)

Wrist has been the only thing a bit bothersome so I massaged it. Going to do a bunch of specific prehab on it.. still. Light workout on Sun with maybe a couple OAC into heavier amounts of OAC Mon.

Steven Low
03-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Sun: 6 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC: 1x1b, 3x2b
RTO dips: 3x8

Light day.. gonna go harder tomorrow.

1. B shoulder = IR/ER..... feeling good.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... just a smidge tender; probably gonna do work tomorrow.
3. R wrist = massage, rice bucket..... wait and see approach.

Steven Low
03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Mon: 6.5 hrs

OAC: 1x1b, 2x3b, 1x4b
3x RTO dip -> hollow back press to HS + slow negative

OAC felt particularly good... last 1x4 set just wanted to see if I could make it... made it but it was probably the hardest thing I've done in the past few months, hah.

1. B shoulder = IR/ER..... feeling good.
2. R knee = massage, ice, agility + step work..... same - just a smidge tender; probably gonna do work tomorrow.
3. R wrist = just massage..... wait and see approach still.

Steven Low
03-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Tues: 7 hrs + 1.5 hrs

OAC: 1x1b, 3x2b
3 sets of 2x(RTO dip to 5s adv. tuck PL)

Lighter work today... active rest tomorrow.

1. B shoulder = IR/ER..... feeling good. Keeping this up.
2. R knee = massage, ice, ~800m running..... feels good now.
3. R wrist = ..... wait and see. I think I need to get off it more though. Too much computer.

Steven Low
03-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Very active rest today. Can't really tell if I actually did too much, lol.

Worked for an hour mostly on rings, but did a little bit of pbars and phorse. Mostly showing different skills but back uprised straddle Ls, shoots, shoot shoulder stand, press handstands, dislocates, etc.

Felt pretty fatigued today comparitively.. probably would not have enough gas to hold a cross which I should be able to do with 4 OAC. So I may take tomorrow off as well.

1. B shoulder = massage..... feeling a little weird after rings work.
2. R knee = massage, ice, ~400m running + agility..... sore
3. R wrist = massage..... wait and see; definitely tried using it less today which helped A LOT. Same for now but maybe some light work to get blood flowing

Gavin Harrison
03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Hey Steven,

For wrist prehab/rehab, I've found that wrist push ups as shown on coach sommer's web site are pretty good for this. I have somewhat recurring sharp pain in my right wrist, probably from a combination of computer use and holding handstand positions on the floor. I can only do them from my knees, because of the pain, but I think helps prevent the pain, and helps to rehab the flexibility I lose and the pain.

Steven Low
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Hey Steven,

For wrist prehab/rehab, I've found that wrist push ups as shown on coach sommer's web site are pretty good for this. I have somewhat recurring sharp pain in my right wrist, probably from a combination of computer use and holding handstand positions on the floor. I can only do them from my knees, because of the pain, but I think helps prevent the pain, and helps to rehab the flexibility I lose and the pain.
I know... I am doing those and rice bucket. The problem has been it's like overuse so first I have to let it rest enough so it doesn't hurt. If it hurts, and I do prehab on it then it hurts even more (as I've tried). Don't worry I know what I'm doing here, lol.

Steven Low
03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Thurs: 5 hrs + 4 hrs

Active rest day. Was moving around and spotting people, so it wasn't fully sit-on-my-butt-all-day laziness.

1. B shoulder = massage..... feeling better but I think R infra is tight. Gonna rip it to shreds with some massage today/tomorrow
2. R knee = massage, ice, ~200m jogging..... little sore. Feels stronger than it has been; gonna try to rest it today
3. R wrist = massage..... feels pretty good (tried to use comp significantly less). Prehab starts back up today.

Probably light OAC work today ramping back in.

Steven Low
03-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Fri: 6 hrs + 1 hrs

OAC: 1x1B, 1x4L, 1x4R
rings hollow back press HS: 3x4
hips @ manna height leans: 3x10s

Gonna go for OAC 1x5 PR tomorrow. I felt like I couldn't do it today, so I just stopped there and hopefully will be able to break it tomorrow. R shoulder feeling a bit weird today, we'll gauge it tomorrow and see what's up.

Restarted manna work... feel like I've lost maybe ~15 degrees of progress although it should come back quick.

1. B shoulder = massage, ice..... L is perfect. R is a bit shady.. wait a see approach.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... still sore. It has been a lot of work so gonna take it easy for a couple days.
3. R wrist = massage, wrist pushups..... feels pretty good.

George Mounce
03-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Good luck on the PR, want to thank you again for your help on designing the program I'm using - if you get the chance every once in awhile please visit my log and critique or give pointers!

Thanks again!

Steven Low
03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
NP George... was Chris' template though so he gets the bulk of the credit there. :)

Will do on the logs though... I try to look through everyones (well, at least the people who are doing bodyweight a lot) every day or two.

-----------------------------

Sat: 4 hrs + 2.5 hrs

Hmm, well crap for sleep... + family dinner at a buffet. Probably not the best stuff before a workout.

OAC: 1x1b, 1x4b
front lever: ~8s, 7s

Well, OAC didn't workout today so I kept it light. MAYBE tomorrow... I'll go for the warmup and see how I feel. UGH, I'm sooo close to my 5 OAC goal. Probably will up it to 8 OAC after this.

Felt like testing front lever although after OAC so probably wasn't that great. Slightly hollow apparently from the vid... here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtRV_DymdJk

1. R shoulder = massage, ice, IR/ER both..... L is perfect so just R now. Feels MUCH better after I obliterated it with massage yesterday, but still a little clicky with small amount of pain on the initial part of the OAC.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... not sore = good. Am still going to massage and ice. Work tomorrow with negatives.
3. R wrist = massage, wrist pushups..... feels pretty good.

Injuries are slowly clearing up. Also, did a bunch of stretching this morning and am going to do some more... a lot of the muscles around my pelvis are pretty tight. I haven't been keeping up with this but I am going to start now.

Oh, going through my goals and uploading various examples of stuff I have done. I am going to try to get everything demonstrated moreso for myself so I don't have to go back through my log for references. Although proof of feats is always nice.

Here's a nice blast from the past... homeshow rings '07:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1NFYM13ew

Goals in progress
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~elevator
~rings full planche & maltese
~Rehab knee to consistent (2-3x/week) sprinting/airsquat capability
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~OA pullover, OA rope climb (?)
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat
~vertical to 36", broad 10'
~Break 11s 100m & 50s 400m
~butterfly cross, inverted cross, OAHS

The following vids may not reflect actual completion date.

Goals completed!
~Iron cross (12/08/06) & solidified at homeshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1NFYM13ew).
~2x bodyweight dip (03/11/07)
~2x bodyweight deadlift (03/20/07)
~one arm pullup (08/01/07) 1x4 L (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOcSdwCIzc), 1x4 R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2ugvbnEMI)
~straddle planche (10/30/07) & solidified.
~front lever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtRV_DymdJk) (12/24/07)
~2x bodyweight pullup (07/28/08 )

Current PRs
285 lbs DL (triple) (07/20/07)
+130 lbs pullup (07/28/08 )
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )
+70 lbs muscle up (08/12/04)
9'5" broad jump (08/XX/07)
30" vertical leap (XX/XX/XX)

out of condition + reinjured knee :(
100m: 12.41 (06/23/08 )
400m: 106:93 (06/23/08 )

Steven Low
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Sun: 6 hrs + 2 hrs

Rest today... pure rest. Bunch of prehab work though.

Gonna test OAC tomorrow. Beyond that I might try to get a vid up of rings straddle planche as well.

Was also probing my shoulders today and there's some laxity in my R AC joint especially with retraction of the scapula & in overhead throwing motions. I'm not sure what that means, other than my articulating cartilage is probably getting worn down which will probably give me some arthritis in the future... So yeah, this sucks. edit - on the upside no pain so I guess that's cool.

1. R shoulder = massage, ice, IR/ER both..... Feeling good so far. We'll see how it deals tomorrow.
2. R knee = massage, ice, stair negatives..... feeling good.
3. R wrist = massage, wrist pushups..... also feeling good.

Chris H Laing
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey steven, since my SSC is over, I'm starting a plan with FL as a goal, and I'm gunna use weighted pullups to help bring up my strength, and I have a question about progressing with them.

Today I did 3x5 with 10#, but I had to kip the top of the last two reps of the last set to get my chin over. Should I try progressing in weight when I do them again on friday, or should I do 10# again and try to get all reps pretty strict?

Steven Low
03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Mon: 6 hrs

OAC: 1x1b, 1x4b, 1x2b
rings straddle PL: 3 sets of 2x3s
tuck manna: 3 sets: 2x3-4s

OAC didn't materialize. I felt fatigued today... not sure why... probably crappy sleep. Oh well. Just did a little more and called it a day. I'm thinking about doing some density and then trying for it later in the week.

R shoulder still a bit clickly but no pain. Am going to avoid it by not going to relaxed shoulder at the bottom, and keeping it active which I probably was supposed to do in the first place...

Shot some straddle PL vids, but quality was poor. Had a couple good ones with good torso angle but legs were slightly high or whatnot. Slightly bent arms here and there. I will shoot a good 3s shot soon... don't want to put up any crappy vids.

Manna work was actually back to normal. Worked on more of tuck pressing up... my hips can go up a bit higher -- if I straighted my legs I could get ~60 degrees past vertical. That last 30 is gonna be tough.

Overall, a fairly light day. I am going to get back into it tomorrow.

1. R shoulder = massage..... we're good so far.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... slightly sore from yesterday.
3. R wrist = massage, wrist pushups..... feeling pretty good. manna work didn't bother.

Steven Low
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Tues: 6 + 2.5 hrs

I think I have some mild adrenal fatigue. I am not recovering as well as I should and I'm getting decent amounts of sleep.

Rested this day.

1. R shoulder = massage..... a bit tight actually.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... slightly sore from yesterday.
3. R wrist = massage, wrist pushups..... feeling pretty good.

Steven Low
03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Wed: 6.5 hrs

Yeah, my lats still feel like they were hit by a dumpster. Recovery is definitely off and food has been pretty much okay.

I actually went in and work a little rings today except nothing tough. Tried out a combo of front uprise -> front bail (chechi) straight into back uprise. Apparently it looks pretty cool. Also did some press handstands, dislocates, shoots, back uprise straddle L, a couple english handstands and some other misc stuff.

Overall took it pretty easy and ate a lot.

I expect to feel somewhat down tomorrow. I think I blew out my adrenals from last cycle where I just got the 4 OAC and then kinda petered out. It seems that going back into this next cycle didn't help that much.

For now it's mostly gonna be active rest... maybe a few OAC here and there to maintain, but mostly let myself recover. I can FEEL pretty well how fatigued I am by the heaviness in my lats, and my poor recovery ability.

Will probably be working mostly skill work and stretching from here on until I feel up to ramping back into working out again. o_O Hopefully it won't take too long to recover.

1. R shoulder = massage..... good.
2. R knee = massage, 800m of jogging, ice..... slightly sore.
3. R wrist = massage, wrist pushups..... good.

Steven Low
03-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Thurs: 6 hrs

Rest. Moving around a lot, but overall nothing but eating. Sore today from yesterday. Go figure.

2. R knee = massage..... slightly sore.
3. R wrist = nothing..... a little stiff. We'll see how it goes.

Steven Low
03-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Fri: 2 + .5 + .5 + 2 + 1.5

Okay, sleep was crap. Just gonna take today easy again. Helped lift a bunch of stuff so still staying active.

Will do some "recovery" work tomorrow. Probably pullups and dips related or something with planche and front lever. Actually now that I think about it will probably go with the latter.

2. R knee = massage, ice..... got landed on today which wasn't cool as my patella displaced a bit. It's sore.
3. R wrist = nothing..... good.

George Mounce
03-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Fri: 2 + .5 + .5 + 2 + 1.5

Okay, sleep was crap. Just gonna take today easy again. Helped lift a bunch of stuff so still staying active.

Will do some "recovery" work tomorrow. Probably pullups and dips related or something with planche and front lever. Actually now that I think about it will probably go with the latter.

2. R knee = massage, ice..... got landed on today which wasn't cool as my patella displaced a bit. It's sore.

Steven, your sleep is downright horrid. I've noticed that ever since I've been reading your log. What's up? Just very busy?

Blair Lowe
03-14-2009, 03:38 PM
too much MMORPG'n or forum'n.

George Mounce
03-14-2009, 03:42 PM
too much MMORPG'n or forum'n.

I can attest to the MMORPG part. I was completely addicted to WoW back in the day. I found CF at the time and quit. I shudder to think of what is going to happen to me once Diablo 3 is finally released. :p

Steven Low
03-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Yeah right. I don't really play games anymore.

Mostly just waking early for Fri and Sat when I generally don't get up before 10-11 because of sleep schedule.

--------------------------

Sat: 4 hrs + 2.5 hrs

OAC: 1x1b, 1x3b

2 sets:
5 ring dip to tuck planche
5 rings flys
5 yewkis

Fairly light. I hope.

1. R shoulder = massage, IR/ER, IR stretch..... little iffy on those OAC.
2. R knee = massage, ice, step work..... a bit more sore today from yesterday's incident. We'll see.

Steven Low
03-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Sun: 7 hrs

4 sets:
3 rings dip to 2s adv. tuck PL
5 yewkis

1. R shoulder = massage..... wait and see
2. R knee = massage, ice..... aiming for some short sprints tomorrow
3. R wrist = wrist pushups..... feels good.

George Mounce
03-16-2009, 04:32 AM
3. R wrist = wrist pushups..... feels good.

One armed wrist push-ups? You are the man! :p

Steven Low
03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
No one arm wrist pushups... -_-

-------------------------------

Mon: 2.5 + 4 (was split up a little)

Rest. Feeling a bit run down... who woulda guessed.

Anyway, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

1. R shoulder = massage..... little tight.
2. R knee = massage..... was wet outside so no sprints.
3. R wrist = none..... we're good for now.

Steven Low
03-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Tues: 6 hrs + 2 hrs

Ended up resting again. I suppose that doing 2 days in a row worth of stuff is out for now.

Um, mostly interview prep and some stretching.

2. R knee = massage..... good.
3. R wrist = none..... we're good for now.

Steven Low
03-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Weds: 5 hrs + 3 hrs nap later

Another rest day, lol. Okay well, I have gotten my siblings to step on my back for massage so that's good.

Had my interview at UMaryland for med school today. Hopefully get in.. we'll see.

Going to do stretching and massage a bit later.

Aiming to workout tomorrow with some sprints + very light pushing & pulling. Maybe a few OAC.

1. R shoulder = massage. ER/IR..... a little tight today. It's really on and off how it feels day to day. Weird.
2. R knee = massage..... ready to do some running.
3. R wrist = wrist pushups..... I think I may be able to eliminate wrist from this injury list concern.

Actually I'm also thinking of doing a prehab list too. Um, we'll see. :p

George Mounce
03-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Had my interview at UMaryland for med school today. Hopefully get in.. we'll see.

Actually I'm also thinking of doing a prehab list too. Um, we'll see. :p

Good luck on med school!

Prehab list would be cool to see.

Steven Low
03-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Thurs: 6 hrs

OAC: 1x1b, 1x3b

2 sets:
3x (yewkis to 2s FL)
8 rings HSPUs

4x50m sprints

Felt a little weaker than last time with OAC. Sets were good. Sprints absolutely wasted me.... rofl. Only 200m of running too. Sad.

I'm definitely switching to 3x a week schedule for now along the lines of m,w,f. Less working out gives me body time to recuperate more + I can work skills on the non-workout days if I want. Maybe light handstand and manna work or something.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... still feel the OAC a bit. Still massaging.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... sprints felt pretty good and not as devastating on the knee as in the past

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups
2. Lots of hip area stretching. Since I sit a lot everything tends to get tight so I need to start my stretching again. Aiming at lower back, glutes, hammies, hip flexors, ITBand + some adductors. edit: + abs, obliques, transverse abdominis... pretty much everything around the pelvis!

Kevin Perry
03-19-2009, 11:52 PM
looks like your the type that needs lost of rest as well. Im starting to find that my body just can't recover with much more than 3 maybe 4 days of work when there is so much other stuff going on.

+2 on the Med school, good luck.

Steven Low
03-20-2009, 04:05 AM
looks like your the type that needs lost of rest as well. Im starting to find that my body just can't recover with much more than 3 maybe 4 days of work when there is so much other stuff going on.

+2 on the Med school, good luck.
Nah, it's just that I burned myself out last cycle pretty badly I think. Once I recover I'm gonna ramp up the intensity again.... although not as intense!

Steven Low
03-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Fri: 2.5+3.5+3

So I lost my drivers lisence at the interview I guess. Sucks. Got a new one today.

Overall just rest. Did a bit of handstand work trying to correct my slightly off form.

Probably gonna workout tomorrow.

My weaknesses right now are probably still horizontal pulling and vertical (overhead) pushing. So I'm gonna focus on those for a bit. Probably put elevator negatives back in as well as some manna work too.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... a bit sore today.
2. R knee = massage..... a bit sore today too. Not as bad as I was expecting = excellent.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups

George Mounce
03-21-2009, 05:25 AM
I have found that if anything my little jaunt in gymnastics has taught me a lot more about post work-out warming up, and gymnastics style prehab exercises. My handstand is solidified (I still miss sometimes and have to roll out but no big deal) and wrist push-ups have helped immensely; my wrists are never sore from doing OHS or snatches anymore. I guess I'm happy that this community even if just through logs allows information to move seamlessly to help people of all interests when it comes to fitness.

Steven Low
03-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Sat: 6 hrs + 2.5 hrs

Warmed up but too tired. I think I'm going to either stay with 3 workouts a week and cut back to 1-2 sets of exercise or drop down to 2 days/week with full exercise and then skill work on the other days.

4 min on min of HS -- 30s, 20s, 20s, 20s. Pretty poor... still trying to fix my handstand. Forearms toasted first which is good, but traps/shoulders also fatigued which indicates poor endurance on my part.

Stretching -- hips, shoulders

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... feels much better after stretching
2. R knee = massage, ice..... either rehab or sprints tomorrow. We'll see how it feels.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... they feel great TBH. Keeping up with these.

Ah yes, my carlson's fish oil is kinda cloudy after I froze it -- is this a problem? It did freeze when I put it in, but it's the lemony flavored stuff so I can't tell if it's contaminated or if it's just the food color/taste interfering it from staying in liquid form in the freezer. Any thoughts?

Garrett Smith
03-22-2009, 08:34 AM
It's probably fine. Smell it to be sure, but freezing shouldn't hurt it.

Chris Salvato
03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Yes...if your fish oil smells like a nasty dock where a ship full of lemons just came to port then it should be just fine :P

Steven Low
03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Sun: 5 hrs + 3 hrs

Okay, definitely gonna get some better sleep tonight. At least 8 hours consecutive. Then we'll see how I feel.

Went in today and felt like I could do stuff, but decided I want to play it easier just in case. Worked on some straddle and pike press handstands, circles, swing to handstands on pbars and just overall handstand form.

5 min on min HS: 23s, 35s, 25s, 20s, 23s -- 126s work

Stretching -- hips, shoulders

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... a little unstable but overall better.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... did some jogging. A little sore but should be good.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... feel good even after circle/hs work today.

Steven Low
03-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Great sleep. Still feel like I worked out. Did some extensive stretching yesterday so it was probably the shoulders stuff... lots of "eccentric" contracting of the muscles. Sad.

Anyway, full rest.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... fine.
2. R knee = massage..... fine.

Steven Low
03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Tues: 7 hrs + 3 hrs

5 min on min HS: 48s, 18s, 7s (fell over, lol), 36s, 18s -- 127s work

Going to go to 90s x4 for HS work next time.

Shoulder flexibility work.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... we'll see how it responds tomorrow.
2. R knee = massage, step work, ice..... knee feels really good

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... R medial side was a little weird today.

Steven Low
03-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Wed: 7 hrs

Buncha skill work today. Went in and did some rings, pbars.

pbars: english handstand, OA elbow levers, straddle/pike presses (5,4 straddle max in 2 sets), uprises, swing to HS.

rings: press HS, front uprise, back uprise to shoulder stand, hollow back press, etc.

Next time I'm in I want to work back uprise reverse stutz on pbars... I like the movement and it looks cool, but I've never seriously tried to learn it. (Endo does it after the drop cast and before the pirouette in this video (http://www.ighof.com/videos/endo_video.html)... he died BTW.)

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. It was fairly intense skill work so I'll probably be tired sadly.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... a bit tight but responded well today.
2. R knee = massage, jogging, ice..... bit tender now but overall good I think.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... feeling solid.

Steven Low
03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Thurs: 8 hrs

Definitely sore, but not as sore as I was expecting.

Rest day.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... a bit tight (same as yesterday). Loosened it up.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... slightly tender

Garrett Smith
03-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Steven,
Have you ever tried avoiding nightshades, or upping your D & K intake?

Steven Low
03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll try it. I don't think it's those, but it's worth a shot.

-------------------------

Ah yes, yesterday did some back tucks onto ~2 ft high mat. So I still have my explosiveness. That was also why my knee was slightly tender.

Fri: 4 hrs

Coached for the show and moved a bunch of stuff.

Um, rest again.

Definitely gonna get in some handstands and hopefully manna work tomorrow (or rather today.. Sat).

Oddly, I think I am still supercompensating which is weird. Maybe I had some chronic level of overtraining (even with performance increase). My lats, back, chest and arms have all gotten noticably more muscular along with some of my glutes and hammies. I am also now up to 135 lbs.. heaviest I've ever been. :p

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... shoulders feel pretty good.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... still tender since I was lifting stuff and moving around a lot yesterday

George Mounce
03-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I am also now up to 135 lbs.. heaviest I've ever been. :p

Poor baby! :D

Steven Low
03-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Sat: 4 hrs + 4 hrs

5 min on min HS: 23,23,30,20,25

Bad day. Oh well.

Shoulder stretching.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage, ER..... good.
2. R knee = massage..... still a bit tender. Gonna do some steps work tomorrow.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... good.

Steven Low
03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Sun: 4.5 hrs + 1 hrs

Definitely getting 8+ hrs tonight.

30 abs pullups
30 rings dips

Definitely very fatiguing. My endurance REALLY sucks now.

Shoulder flexibility.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... keeps getting tight. I may have to figure something out.
2. R knee = massage, steps work, ice..... will eval tomorrow

Prehab:

Steven Low
03-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Mon: 8.5 hrs

Very nice sleep. Feel well rested.

Did half of the GB WOD:

Complete four rounds:
1 minute Wall HS
15 Swinging Dips
20' L-sit Walks

2 rounds... first was straight through. Second HS in 30" x2, 8-7 ring dips, full L-sit.

Endurance is worth a piece of crap. I actually was gonna do the whole thing, but I figured I should quit while I'm ahead since I did a "workout" yesterday as well. I hope I didn't overdo it.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... feels pretty good today although I think my levator scap is a bit tight.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... sore today. Lots of walking and stuff.

Prehab:

Steven Low
04-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Tue: 7 hrs

Feel pretty good actually... somewhat sore I move to edge of ROM, but nothing to bad. I don't feel like I could do a workout though. Overall improvement!

Rest day.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... great.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... sore today. Lots of walking and stuff.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups.....

Steven Low
04-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Wed: 8.5 hrs

Rest day.

Moving around a lot, but not much in the way of working out. Gonna do some rings work tomorrow I think.

Injury/borderline:
2. R knee = massage, ice..... sore today again. I should be fine tomorrow I'm thinking.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups.....

Steven Low
04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Thurs: 5.5 hrs

Ah, first bad sleep day in a while.

Anyway, played around with rings some. Nothing too stressful, but at the end I tried a cross... got a nice solid 3s hold or so. Still got the strength.

Plus, I only had some discomfort in my shoulders, and no pain afterwards. Haven't had a cross like that since probably late '07. So my shoulders are getting better... probably not good for OAC yet but we'll see about that in the future. Gonna try to stay away from those for now since they're very taxing.

MAYBE a workout today. Still trying to take it really easy.

Injury/borderline:
2. R knee = massage, ice, bit of jogging..... knee much better.

Steven Low
04-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Fri: 7 hrs.

Ended up not working out.

The show (coaching) went pretty well though. Might do something today... we'll see.

Injury/borderline:
2. R knee = massage, ice, bit of jogging..... good.

Goals in progress
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~elevator
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat

Goals completed!
~Iron cross (12/08/06) & solidified at homeshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1NFYM13ew).
~one arm pullup (08/01/07) 1x4 L (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOcSdwCIzc), 1x4 R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2ugvbnEMI)

Current PRs
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )

Steven Low
04-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Sat: 5 hrs

Took today off again.

Last homeshow so I was helping out there spotting and carrying.

The superior aspect of my L5 spinous process is a bit sore... probably from carrying something with bad form I guess. Dumb.

I've decided that I'm gonna work myself back in with GB WODs starting today. Probably gonna start off with 50% WODs and then ramp up as I gain my endurance back.

Steven Low
04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Sun: 11.5 hrs

Amazing sleep which made up for the previous days.

Complete four rounds:
10 Clapping Pullups
1 - 15' Cirque
10 German Hang Pulls

I did 2 rounds.

Clapping pullups = pronated. 2 full sets. Solid.
Cirque = pullups to simulate climb. 5s negs first time, 1-5s negs second time. Poor endurance.
German hang pullups: broke up sets... because of my poor grip endurance. The actual pulls were easy.

So my weaknesses are my grip and overall endurance right now.

Was going to sprint but knee is sore so I'm just gonna massage and ice.

Injury/borderline:
1. R shoulder = massage..... good. Didn't feel any twinges at all during workout too.
2. R knee = massage, ice..... sore.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... R wrist acting up a little.

Kevin Perry
04-05-2009, 04:32 PM
yay for sleep

Steven Low
04-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Mon: 7.5 hrs

Still a bit tired. Maybe yesterday was too much. Am pretty sore in the lats/chest like I expected.

More or less a rest day.

Some manna work pushing the hips up... and then some shoulder flexibility because my manna work SUCKED BALLS.

I also feel consistently good enough to promote my shoulders off the injury list. Now all that needs to be done is this KNEE!

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice, step work..... maybe a sprint or two tomorrow?

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... feeling good.
2. shoulders = massage..... great.

George Mounce
04-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Good to see you are getting better!

Steven, if you had to give advice for ways to improve rowing specifically (other than of course row more and have someone instruct you on rowing) that would involve gymnastics, what advice would you give?

Chris H Laing
04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Yea steven, its great that your finally getting back into some serious training. How is the manna coming along since you last posted that video of it?

Steven, if you had to give advice for ways to improve rowing specifically (other than of course row more and have someone instruct you on rowing) that would involve gymnastics, what advice would you give?

Front levers are pretty similar to rowing so that might help. Just a thought.

Steven Low
04-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Tues: 8 hrs

Okay well, I was going to workout but I passed out at about 9 PM or so.

From how I've been feeling I think that workout was a bit much... probably because of the OAC negatives basically.

I am going to reduce to 25% besides HS work. Going to do the rings HS one today (Wed) later.

Steven Low
04-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Weds: 9 hrs +1 hrs

After 9 hrs felt realllllly tired. But after that one hour nap I feel AWESOME. Haha.

Perform:
12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:
1) Each cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

Did 8 rounds. By the 4th round my delts, traps and tris were killing me.

This is a terrible workout. TERRIBLE! lol.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... fairly good I think.

Prehab:

jake oleander
04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Weds: 9 hrs +1 hrs

After 9 hrs felt realllllly tired. But after that one hour nap I feel AWESOME. Haha.

Perform:
12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:
1) Each cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

Did 8 rounds. By the 4th round my delts, traps and tris were killing me.

This is a terrible workout. TERRIBLE! lol.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... fairly good I think.

Prehab:

those GB workouts are all terrible!

Steven Low
04-09-2009, 08:54 AM
those GB workouts are all terrible!
Mostly cause my endurance is crap...

Otherwise, I shouldn't have too much of a problem if I wasn't burned out still.

Sucks bad.

Steven Low
04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Thurs: 1 hrs

Okay, this was the weirdest days ever. I couldn't get to sleep last night... but I was so full of energy. Not tired at all during the whole day.

Decided to rest since I was only on the 1 hour of sleep. Went to bed at 8.

Steven Low
04-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Fri: 14.5 hrs

I actually woke up feeling rested with 8 hours.... looked at the clock and then went back to sleep because I knew I probably needed it.

Feeling pretty good right now.

Perform:
3 sets of MU - XR L-sit - tuck PL - forward roll to FL - MU - Bulgarian Dip - roll backward to BL (3-5 mins rest between sets)

3x5 Tick Tocks (2 mins rest between sets)

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions

Sequence: As rx'd with 3 mins rest between sets with L-MUs, adv. tuck PL, full FL, full BL.

Tick tocks: straddled but form degraded some as I got tired.

Sequence was pretty easy TBH. Tick tocks were rough especially the 4-5th times, and it's bad on my elbows since I never do BL work at all.

5x50m sprints. Ended up with X, X, 6.26, 6.21, 6.23.

Not great by any means but knee feels pretty good. Probably gonna be a bit sore tomorrow. Considering the times I put up last summer of 12.41 over 100m it's about the same considering the start is in the first half of the run. I feel my running technique needs a bit of work though... I can still hear my footsteps meaning I'm too loud.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... we'll see tomorrow.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... feeling good. I'm on my feet if anyone is wondering. If my wrists are feeling a bit iffy I sometimes do them from the knees.
2. shoulders = massage, maybe ER..... great.

Steven Low
04-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Sat: 6.5 + 2.5 hrs

Gonna rest today.

Slight-moderate soreness in hammies and back.

I actually feel good enough to do a workout, but since I'm still recovering or whatnot I don't want to risk it.

Gonna keep up with the GB WODs for now.

Hips/shoulder stretching.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... not too shabby. Very little soreness. Big improvement.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... great.

--------------------------------------------------------

edit: Also, in the work capacity thread I added up all my sleep since my last cycle Jan-Feb and I've gotten an average of 7.39 hrs of sleep in 52 days. In 33 days since I "noted" I probably had some adrenal fatigue I've gotten ~7.50 hrs of sleep (7.2 for the first 19 days after cycle).

So I'm not deprived as pretty much all of you think when you see my retarded 1 hrs or 1+.5+4 hours or whatever I've done before. That's MAYBE once a week at most you see something utterly retarded although I do split up sleep/naps about 25-30% of the time. However, most of the time it's a big chunk plus a nap like 6+2 or something. Otherwise, my sleep is overall decent.

No more hating on me!

Also, the thread is pretty interesting. But I'm gonna sleep now and have lots of stuff to do tomorrow so I may not reply until Monday if I need to.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4154

Steven Low
04-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Sun: 5.5 + 2.5

Lots of eating.

Total rest.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... we'll see tomorrow.

Steven Low
04-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Perform 3 sets each of:
1 Embedded BL + 5 XR Bulgarian Rows
1 Embedded PL + 5 XR Bulgarian Pushups
1 Embedded FL + 4 Circular HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

10-20s rest between intraset; 1-2 mins rest between global sets.

Shoulder stand reverse curl -> 5s 1/2 lay BL -> no exit + 5 rows w/ 60 lbs
RTO dip -> 5s tuck PL -> rings bent arm press HS + 5 pushups w/ 60 lbs
L-sit -> 5s straddle FL -> pull to invert (crank basically) + 3-4s circular HLR

10 Bridge wall walks... suck.

Basically, each of the progressions ended up being something lower than you can normally do b/c of the entry and exit skills and the extra rows/pushups/HLR work + low rest times.

Pretty good overall workout.

I'm actually doing the whole things now because I'm feeling pretty energized and sleep + diet have been good. The last couple workouts haven't affected me badly at all like they used to for about the past month, so I think I might be over the worst. Just need to try not to push it too hard getting back.

Shoulder stretching.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... the bridge wall walks actually did a bit of work to R knee b/c of the tough negative portion so we'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Steven Low
04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Tues: 8.5 hrs

Feeling not bad actually. Weigh in at 133.5 lbs.. eh. Gonna do a bit of work today.

Iron cross: 2x5-6s
3x straight body pull to invert
3x rings L-sit hollow back press to HS
3x MU -> 5 RTO dips -> front lever hold (5s, 4s, 1s)

I was suprised at the cross holds since my lats and chest were a bit sore today, and they didn't "feel" as strong as they could be.

Overall HOPEFULLY a decently light-medium workout. Gonna see how I feel tomorrow. Will be a rest/prehab/rehab day.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, jogging, steps, ice..... Not bad after yesterday.. will reeval tomorrow after this work.

Prehab:
1. wrist pushups..... R wrist likes to act up on me sometimes.
2. shoulders = massage, ER..... shoulders feel ok; cross def. taxes my RC.

Steven Low
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Wed: 7 hrs

Total rest day.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... Not bad after yesterday.. will reeval tomorrow after this work.

Prehab:
1. shoulders = massage.....

Steven Low
04-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Thurs: 8.5 hrs

Went outside and played about 20-30 mins of basketball. I hate basketball, but it was warm out... probably gonna play a bit more now with my brother anyway. :p

Went to the gym and did a bunch of work. Ended up working out the knee pretty intensely today. Managed to get on a spring floor:

standing "box jump" vertical to ~51"
Thief/dash vaulted the 54" too.
Running jump vertical to ~64"

Played catch on the trampoline for about 20 mins.

Knee tweaked a bit on the running jump vert so I layed off it after that. A bit sore now but should be good tomorrow hopefully.

Injury/borderline:
1. R knee = massage, ice..... We shall see!

Steven Low
04-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Fri: 6.5 hrs

Rest pretty much.

Steven Low
04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Sat: 7-8 hrs

Lots of balance work 60+ mins plus running today ~30 mins.

Knee is a bit sore.

Steven Low
04-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Sun: 6 hrs + 1 + 1

Actually was going to work out today, but decided not to. Just gonna rest and do something light tomorrow.

Knee is feeling much better after I got some ice on it.

Did some pushups just to keep my upper body "in shape" haha.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... Not too bad.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage..... bit tight today, actually. Throwing a frisbee around some.

Steven Low
04-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Mon: 7.5 hrs

Light workout

5 rounds:
5 abs pullups
5 ring dips

Non-timed. Endurance is still crap... got tired at around 15 or so.

Massage for knee, shoulder.

Steven Low
04-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Tues: 6.5 + 2

Okay, I've been slacking lately, and I'm not gonna start it up back today. Perhaps by the weekend.

cross pulls: 2x5 (feet on ground.. assisting maybe 10-15 lbs).

2 sets:
1x5 leaned foward RTO dips
1x3 yewkis

2x5 push hips to manna height.

My manna has regressed.., need to get back on it. Also, cross work is a nice addition... probably try to get an L-cross solidified or something... it's slightly more chest than regular cross.

Ice on the knee. Feeling pretty good.. although still recovering from Thurs + weekend.

Shoulder massage.

Steven Low
04-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Wed: 6 hrs

Rest.

Steven Low
04-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Thurs: 5.5 + 2

cross pulls: 2x5 (feet on ground..)

5 rounds:
5 abs pullups
5 ring dips

Also, thinking about taking up some breakdancing again... heh heh. Did a little bit of top rock & six step work after/before some of the sets. Good work for the knee, ironically,

Ice & massage for knee.
Massage for shoulders.

Steven Low
04-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Fri: 6 hrs.

Rest.

I know I am not going to be getting good sleep... probably the next couple days so.... yes. Ready for the fun to begin. Might as well rest to save my adrenals just in case they're still stressed (probably).

Chris H Laing
04-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Good to see your starting to work the crosses again. Are you gunna keep working OACs also?

Steven Low
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Good to see your starting to work the crosses again. Are you gunna keep working OACs also?
Hah, no. Gonna try to not traumatize my shoulders for now.

----------------------------

Sat: 2.5 hrs

Yes, I know bad.

I can tell my adrenals are stressed badly though because I'm thirsty all the time... This is something I actually noticed the first time around but didn't really catch me until it occurred again. I'm pretty sure that my aldosterone (mineralocorticoid produced by adrenals) output is less than normal, so there's less reabsorption of water by the kidneys. This would lead to urinating a lot + very thirsty all the time b/c of lower blood pressure. Interesting.

I'm gonna get sleep back in line though so we'll be okay, but I'm gonna keep the workouts pretty light until at least a week from now.

Derek Weaver
04-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Fri: 6 hrs.

Rest.

I know I am not going to be getting good sleep... probably the next couple days so.... yes. Ready for the fun to begin. Might as well rest to save my adrenals just in case they're still stressed (probably).

Why do you know you're not getting good sleep?

I finally checked your work on constructing a routine. You should write a book. Fantastic stuff.

Steven Low
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Why do you know you're not getting good sleep?

I finally checked your work on constructing a routine. You should write a book. Fantastic stuff.

I knew I was gonna be up late a couple nights, and I have to work early on some days.

Plus, I tend to like staying up late sometimes... which works against me. -_-

And thanks. People were suggesting I should eventually turn it into an e-book or something.

---------------------

Sun: 8 + 1.5

Rest.

Slowly starting my "recovery" back from terrible sleep.

Will mostly work on skill stuff + probably some breaking work as well this week.

Planning on hitting 8 hours at least everyday. :)

Derek Weaver
04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
yeah, I have the same issue. I am a complete night owl but tend to be on early at work in the morning. Ends up with sometimes up to a week or two in a row of 3-6 hours of sleep followed up by 2-3 days of 10+ hours.

Kevin Perry
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Ah now we can start a night owls group here too.

Steven Low
04-28-2009, 07:20 PM
lol, guys. I'm trying to move off that train!

------------------------

Mon: 8 hrs

Lots of moving around, but nothing for working out.

Steven Low
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Tues: 7 hrs + 4 hrs

Not bad sleep... but I had a great nap later. :)

Light stuff...
4x10 pseudo planche pushups
1x5 push hips to manna height

Stopped manna work cause shoulders were feeling a bit iffy. R side always gets more tight, and I think that's what is causing the "pain" whenever I get it... decrease ROM = more potential for injury. Have to be diligent about my stretching.

Shoulder mobility/strength work instead.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... Actually started hurting again during the time of "bodily stress" last week from not much. So I'm taking it easy for now.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching.....

Steven Low
04-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Wed: 6 hrs

Rest.

Shoulder stretching + knee ice and massage.

Steven Low
05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Thurs: 7.5 hrs + 2 hrs nap

I got back home pretty late so decided to rest again, hah.

Am definitely going to be doing work today (Fri).

Steven Low
05-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Have recently been writing a bit for my blog on the KISS principle -- keep it simple, stupid -- as well as on "the relationship between diet and exercise." Probably nothing new for most of you, but maybe some insight into how to think of everything in simple terms.

I also posted a question in the beginning of the KISS blogged, and no one answered me there so if I could get some feedback on that question that would be great. Preferably THERE if you have an account as I want to keep the log "how to construct..." free for now....

http://eshlow.blogspot.com/

----------------------------------

Fri: 7.5 hrs + 2

rings hollowback press HS: 5x3
yewkis: 5x5

Some handstand work.

Also, finally ordered a dip belt today.... so we're gonna see some more weighted pullups and weighted dips again soon. Will be interesting to see what I can work up to again since I haven't done them since June/July last year. :p

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... Much better. Maybe some sprint work tomorrow or something.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... feeling a lot better with the constant stretching... especially lats.

Steven Low
05-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Sat: 1.5 + 5

Taking it easy...

Wall handstand work focusing on holding proper form without shaking/deviating.

Got my dip belt... so probably gonna do some work tomorrow! :)

More stretching for the shoulders.

Steven Low
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Sun: 7.5 hrs

Weighted dips: 1x3 35#, 60#, 100#, 120#, 140#

That's my 3 RM for right now I think. Would not have been able to push out another 5 lbs. We'll see if I can build it back up to 170 lbs... previous 3 RM was 155 lbs. I figure I should gain a bunch of strength back as I get used to moving the heavy weight again.

5x -- L-pullups, tuck FL pullups, inverted pullups

Unfortunately, with the dip belt I do not have enough room to do weighted pullups.... so I'm out of luck in this category. I may have to stick with like weighted tuck front lever pullups or something.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice, steps work..... Feeling pretty good. My goal right now is to prepare it for Memorial day beast coast. Probably just gonna do a lot of non-impact rehab work for now.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching, ER..... feeling a lot better with the constant stretching... especially lats.

Goals in progress
~elevator
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC -- for now...
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat

Goals completed!

Current PRs
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )
30 MU for time 2:08 (08/10/07)

Blair Lowe
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Damn, man, damn.

How about if you bend your legs at the knees with heels to butt or into a tuck position? I guess you could do it, L pullup style.

Steven Low
05-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Damn, man, damn.

How about if you bend your legs at the knees with heels to butt or into a tuck position? I guess you could do it, L pullup style.
The problem is the weights physically hit the ground even hanging from the dip belt because the bar is only ~4.5 feet off the ground in the first place.

------------------------------------------------

Mon: 8.5 hrs

Whenever I think about it now I'm working on my handstands.. or at least trying to. Doing wall ones focused on tight everything with perfect form and push off slowly trying to balance. Might as well get it solid again, and this is the best way to improve it.

Overall rest... prepping for the dips tomorrow + other work.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice, activation work..... Feeling pretty good. Everyday I need to be working on getting my vastus lateralis/medialis back up... they're "loose" now because the tib tuberosity has enlarged.. and thus has atrophied. Same with the handstands whenever I think I need to be doing contraction work.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching, ice..... yesterday it was hurting along a nerve somewhere. Today it feels a little twingy, but I don't think it should bother me. We'll see and modify accordingly though.

Milly Williams
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Thank you for the advice on limiting your workouts to 20 mins or less. I will try to have the workouts scaled to my level from now on.

Steven Low
05-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Thank you for the advice on limiting your workouts to 20 mins or less. I will try to have the workouts scaled to my level from now on.
Yeah, no problem.

-------------------------

Tues: 8 + 2 hrs

weighted dips: 1x4 60 lbs, 1x3 100 lbs, 1x5 120 lbs, 1x5 + 1x4 130 lbs.

Previous 5 RM was 135 lbs I think.. so we're close. I could only push out one set though which is disheartening. It may take a few weeks to get myself back up.

But I did get the first set on vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Wd4wCtMVc

L-slap thigh pullups: 5, 4, 8

I was actually recording these because I said on CF that I could do them so I figured I might as well show that I could do them. First set was a little too kippy, so I went to do another set. After my 4th rep my setup falls apart... so I have that on video. FINALLY, I get a good set with minimal stretch reflex assist. Chalked up thighs so you can see I actually slap.

Blooper first, 8 second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZaQ8Rg8tw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blb8oO0mOXw

Manna lean push hips up to shoulder/head height: 3x3

Manna has definitely regressed... need to keep plugging my shoulder flexibility.

Interspersed handstand work.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... going to get some quality non-impact step work in tomorrow.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... morning has some twingy, but feeling good now.

Chris H Laing
05-06-2009, 03:37 AM
weighted dips: 1x4 60 lbs, 1x3 100 lbs, 1x5 120 lbs, 1x5 + 1x4 130 lbs.

Previous 5 RM was 135 lbs I think.. so we're close. I could only push out one set though which is disheartening. It may take a few weeks to get myself back up.

But I did get the first set on vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Wd4wCtMVc

Nice dips steven. I love how you just keep piling on the weight, vest, belt, then neck weight, haha.

Also nice slap pullups

John Filippini
05-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Damn - those pull-ups are sick.

Kevin Perry
05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Ha loved the second vid when that box almost flew off the shelf

Steven Low
05-06-2009, 11:38 PM
lol, thanks guys.

--------------------

Weds: 6.5 hrs

Lats and chest getting sore.

Went to the driving range (golf) for about 75 mins. Ironed out some inconsistencies in my swing. Supposed to play ~9-18 holes Fri... so we'll see.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage..... feeling pretty good... golf did some work on it, but I don't think it needs ice.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... a bit of discomfort that went away. Need to keep plugging the chest and lats stretching.

Steven Low
05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Thurs: 7 +3 hrs

Was gonna workout, but my chest is a bit too sore to.

Did a bunch of handstand work against the wall again as well as lots of shoulder stretching.

Started to write up "how to construct your own bodyweight workout routine" as well.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, step work, ice..... a little 'eh' today. We'll see.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... feeling good.

Chris H Laing
05-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Started to write up "how to construct your own bodyweight workout routine" as well.

Cant wait to read it

Steven Low
05-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Fri: 6 + 3 hrs

Yes, no more soreness for me.

Slap thigh pullups: 3,6,7,7

Weird that my ability to pull powerfully was less than the recording the other day. Maybe cause I did them after strong activation of my CNS (heavy dips). Interesting. I'm gonna try to work these up to 10 or so.. then maybe add the weighted vest.

weighted dips: 1x3 60#, 100#, 120#; 1x4.5 & 1x3 140#

Meh, well, I was hoping to hit 140# with 1x5 but still almost a 10# jump in 1x5 since the Tuesday workout. Some progress albeit nothing "concrete" to show for it yet. I'm probably gonna try to hit the 140# 2x5 on Mon instead. Finished with a set of endurance dips which was pretty much my limit.. 1-2s pause at 30 and 35.

dips: 1x40

Intermittent wall handstand work.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... feeling GREAT today. More work tomorrow. Beast Coast is in 2 weeks! I need to work on some technique as well. Actually I might throw a bunch of QM into my warmup as well.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... Less crackly on the power pullups today. Getting better... no pain at all.

Steven Low
05-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Sat: 4 hrs + 3 hrs

Um, was trying to alter my sleep schedule to get to bed earlier. Looks like it worked a little as I'm sleeping now. But still pretty bad.

Total rest.

Steven Low
05-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Sun: 4.5 + 2

Got outside moving around some today.

Rest.

Lots of food obviously (Mother's day relatives over).

Derek Weaver
05-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Steve,
When you say 4+3 or whatever it is for your nightly sleep totals, is that because you just wake up? Or is something else causing your restlessness?

Also, I'm going to take the next 6 weeks to spend some time on some bodyweight stuff along with a lot of mobility and flexibility stuff to try and head off some emerging issues from my first desk job. Just thought I'd drop the line that I'm joining the ranks for a little while.

Steven Low
05-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Steve,
When you say 4+3 or whatever it is for your nightly sleep totals, is that because you just wake up? Or is something else causing your restlessness?

Also, I'm going to take the next 6 weeks to spend some time on some bodyweight stuff along with a lot of mobility and flexibility stuff to try and head off some emerging issues from my first desk job. Just thought I'd drop the line that I'm joining the ranks for a little while.
Nah, 99% of the time it's a nap later in the day.

It's just bad planning most of the time.

Sounds good on the bodyweight though.

---------------------------------

For the record I usually warm up with some pullups and dips pretty much every workout or do something like burpees with stuff. Today I did 13 abs pullups, 13 dips. I probably won't really write any of this stuff down anymore though.

weighted dips: 1x3 60# 100#; 1x2 120#; 1x5,3 140#; 1x12 100#

Okay, so hit 140x5... kinda. On 5th rep my feet hit the underside of the as I strained which actually gave me a bit more tension in my hammies which helped me push it out (probably actually hindered me a bit cause I was pushing up against it). But yeah.. I guess I'll count it. Endurance at that weight was still terrible though. Only 1x3 on second set. Finished with max reps of 100# for 1x12.

Slap thigh pullups: 5, 8, 6, 8

Little better. First set was weird cause my R shoulder felt off, but after I did a little dynamic warmup afterwards it was fine.

Others -- little shoulder stretching, knee is doing well. We'll see how it responds tomorrow.

Steven Low
05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Tues: 4.5 + 3

Okay, no more broken up sleep tonight. Aiming for a solid 8 hours.

Played 9 holes of golf today. Ended up with a par, 3 bogeys, 4 double bogeys and.. a 13 on a par 4. The course we played was actually pretty hard -- the trees were tight, and there was a huge amount of hills. Considering I haven't played a course since about 8-9 months ago, and I generally average bogey-double bogey on all holes on easier courses it was actually a pretty good day (besides that AWFUL 13...).

Putting was VERY good today except for a few holes where I 3 putted (and like 5 putted on that 13). My hitting was just bad though. I was like 50/50 for making good contact, and even the good contact I was slicing some. This is sad since last week I was getting good hits like 70-80% of the time STRAIGHT if you recall. Guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board a bit.

Anyway, my knee held up pretty well over the approximate 2 or so miles of walking up and down hills, and through the swinging. Gonna ice it anyway.

Intermittent handstand work, and some one arm elbow lever work. Also, shoulder mobility & stretching.

Steven Low
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM

Good sleep... but bad in the sense that I woke up during REM so I felt tired for most of the day. Considering such I am going to take an easy day.

Warmup (13 abs pulls/13 dips) + QM

Slap thigh L-pullups: 7,8
freestanding HSPU: 6, 6
assisted hips up manna leans: 2x5

Light day.. only 2 sets of slap thighs.

freestand HSPUs.. Eh. Form was pretty poor although I haven't really done these in a while if you'll take that as an excuse. :p I was pushing out sets of 7 a couple months ago so whatever. Figured I might as well record this for you guys so here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfx7E5nuFk

Manna stuff is working out to be fine again. Although wrists are taking a beating. I haven't done the wrist prehab in a while going to add it back in everyday. :\

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... a little bit sore from yesterday, but the soreness went away. Going to take it easy today and hopefully maybe do some sprints tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... little tight at the acromion today (especially in the QM). Am going to keep an eye on this and ice if necessary as well.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... getting back into the swing of things.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Nice HSPUs. Do you have any idea how much you can press? Probably WAY over BW, right?

Steven Low
05-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Nice HSPUs. Do you have any idea how much you can press? Probably WAY over BW, right?
Never tried.

I'm not used to pressing barbells though so it's probably lower than you'd expect, but it would probably improve very rapidly with a bit of work.

Steven Low
05-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Thurs: 6.5 + 3

Weighted dips: 1x3 60# 100# 120#; 1x1 140# 160# 165f 165f; 1x7 120#
deadhang no false grip L-muscle ups: 5, 5, 4
Sprints: 5x50m X, X, X, 6.29, 6.34
Manna push hips up to head height: 1x5

I am kinda pissed that I couldn't get 165 today. If you want the vid of my 160# it's not as slow as my max should've been:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MF83EWZjU4

Since I don't have room to work on the thigh slappers with a straight body, I figure I can do these since they force me to keep on pulling past where I would let go for the L-slap thighs. So far so good... my max is less than what it is with the L-slappers. I am terminating the sets as soon as I can't basically explosvely pull to my belly button above the bar which means I am leaving some muscle ups in the tank..... but muscle ups are too easy anyway, and not terminating would negatively affect my power.

If you have any thoughts about any other bodyweight power pulling progressions let me know. I'm blanking out at the moment. I know I could use the weight vest to do L-thigh slappers, but that's kinda of not really a good goal to work towards other than just to work it...

Considering I haven't sprinting (or run) about 35 days this wasn't too bad. I noticed on the second to last run I was trying too hard (thus too high stride frequency) and lengthened out my stride which felt better. On the last one it started raining so I didn't get enough rest time, but I ran with the lengthened stride and it felt really good except it was probably only 90-95% of my max since the lack of the rest time. So I think I can break the 6s barrier if I fix my mechanics a bit which would be excellent.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... probably gonna be sore from the sprints. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... feeling pretty solid today.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... feel good today. Doing them again.

Chris H Laing
05-15-2009, 03:19 AM
If you have any thoughts about any other bodyweight power pulling progressions let me know.

Clapping FL pullups!!!!

Steven Low
05-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Clapping FL pullups!!!!
Yeah, I can do those in tuck/adv. tuck. Probably not in straddle though. I still don't see the point/application of that though.

Fri: 6.5 + 2

Total rest.

Okay aiming for 7 hrs tonight.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... knee isn't that sore. We'll eval tomorrow.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... bit tight today, stretching.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... feel good today. Doing them again.

Chris H Laing
05-16-2009, 07:43 AM
I still don't see the point/application of that though.

I dunno, it would just be a harder variation. It'd be cool if you could work up to thigh slap FL pullups. Pretty much itd just be a nice party trick :D

Steven Low
05-17-2009, 08:22 AM
I dunno, it would just be a harder variation. It'd be cool if you could work up to thigh slap FL pullups. Pretty much itd just be a nice party trick :D

Maybe I'll record a set of adv. tuck clapping or something.

--------------------------

Sat: 3.5 hrs

Okay, this was pretty bad. I went to sleep so I could get 7 hrs, but I couldn't fall asleep for 3.5 hrs which just sucked badly.

Rest day.

Lots of eating hopefully to offset the bad lack of sleep.

Chris H Laing
05-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Maybe I'll record a set of adv. tuck clapping or something.

Behind the back claps :p

Steven Low
05-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Sun: 3.5 hrs

Terrible, terrible.

Did a set of handstand work... and rested. Don't wanna tax myself when I'm unrested.

On the upside, since I'm writing this today I know I got 8.25 hrs of sleep already. :)

Steven Low
05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Mon: 8.25 hrs

Warmup = 5 abs pullups, 5 dips, 15 burpees. I suppose I should do two rounds or something.

Weighted dips: 1x3 60# 100# 120#, 1x8,6.5 130#
1/2 lay yewkis (abs touch the bar): 7, 7, 7

Okay, well, much improved over 13 days ago in which I got 130x5. I got 130x8 which is about 1 rep for every 4 days of training which isn't bad especially at this weight.

You guys can make the call if I got that last rep or not though (locked out arms, but I can't control the top and fall). :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYA5C-DKl_Q

New pulling exercise is basically yewkis but pulling powerfully enough to touch my abs to the bar (1/2 lay position works better). If I can't make a rep, the set is terminated. It's a good exercise for horizontal pulling which I have been a bit slacking on for a bit.

I was gonna sprint tonight, but probably gonna save that for tomorrow. I'll probably add the sprinting to alternate upper body days for now. I still feel like I have some linger adrenal fatigue issues. I need to get some better quality sleep consistently.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... Feels good today.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... good
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... R is a bit sore
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... the one I previously sprained has been swelling a bit with my increased leg work. Boo.

Kevin Perry
05-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't care if you think you didn't get that last one, 130 is a lot of weight on the dips, that is insane.

Garrett Smith
05-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Steven,
Would you mind, for demonstration purposes, trying a max # repetition set of unweighted dips sometime?

I'd like to see how the carryover is for someone with as much weighted dip strength as you have. Just curious.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Dude... That's sick.

Steven Low
05-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Steven,
Would you mind, for demonstration purposes, trying a max # repetition set of unweighted dips sometime?

I'd like to see how the carryover is for someone with as much weighted dip strength as you have. Just curious.
I actually did that 10 days ago... max set of endurance dips I got 40. I did a 1-2s pause at 30 and 35 though if that still counts.

---------------------------------------

Tues: 8 hrs. Mmm goodness.

sprints 5x50m -- 6.48, 6.13, 6.33, 6.19, 6.22

4/10 X, X, 6.26, 6.21, 6.23.
5/15 X, X, X, 6.29, 6.34

Hmm, comparitively my times are dropping slightly besides the first and third runs from 4/10. That was when my legs were a bit more in shape too. From 4/10 -> 5/15 my times dropped a bit it seems, but that's probably due to atrophy. My legs felt a bit stronger today than last time which is good.

The low times, I improved my drive phase by keeping it out a bit longer than the others before picking the head/chest up which helped I think. My technique at full stride still needs some work though.

I fully expect some improvement as my legs get a bit stronger because they are still out of shape.

I am going to move up to 60-70m sometime or another though.... and just for note my street is on a hill and the grade is probably about 5 degrees or so uphill for the last 50m, but if I back up for100m it's like maybe 15 degrees and then improves almost linearly until 5 degrees at the 50m mark.

edit: hammies are starting to get sore already, lol

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... felt pretty good after sprints. We'll see tomorrow.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... good
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... feels good.. continuing
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... felt good during sprints today. We'll see tomorrow.

Garrett Smith
05-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Well then, thank you for doing that! Sorry for not looking back in the journal that far.

I ask as the CFN elite standard is 50 ring dips, and I'd like to train simple dips as little as possible on the way there, I'd rather do harder dip variations and some weighted dips.

Steven Low
05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Well then, thank you for doing that! Sorry for not looking back in the journal that far.

I ask as the CFN elite standard is 50 ring dips, and I'd like to train simple dips as little as possible on the way there, I'd rather do harder dip variations and some weighted dips.
Yeah, some of those standards are whack. I think the 15s front lever one is as well... can't remember any of the others. Gonna take a look at it again soon.

Tues:

+ some handstand work as well.

Steven Low
05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Weds: 8.5 hrs

weighted dips: 1x3 60# 100#, 1x2 120#, 1x1 135#, 1x5,4 150#
straddle FL pullups: 5, 5

Smashed my previous 5 RM PR of 140 (from the other week). Doing 5 at this weight makes me think I could've done 170 or 175 today... but who knows. I have gotten some pretty good sleep the past few days though. Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASxuRpvo470

Wasn't really feeling the pulling work afterwards so I just cut it short.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... on and off hurting, but only slightly sore. I think some of it is psychological. Will eval tomorrow.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... R is tight today.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... had to hold a lot of stuff at work today which made them feel "ehh" but afterwards they feel much better.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... Distal end of the medial side of the tibia is a bit sore near the talo-tibial articular surface. Massage is focused there.

Patrick Donnelly
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
It's good to see that your knee is healthy enough for sprints now. Take care that you don't overdo it though - you want to train to make it stronger, not injure it more. Humans may get two knees, but unlike kidneys, you need them both!

Steven Low
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Thurs: 8.5 hrs

sprints 5x50m

4/10 xxx, xxx, 6.26, 6.21, 6.23
5/15 xxx, xxx, xxx, 6.29, 6.34
5/19 6.48, 6.13, 6.33, 6.19, 6.22
5/21 xxx, 6.19, 6.16, xxx, 6.05

Today the xxx's were just problems hitting the "stop" button. I'm using a watch and sometimes I don't hit it as precisely because I am sprinting... lol.

Otherwise, pretty good day. The last run even though I was a bit fatigued was the best. On that one the only things I focused on were "drive the knees" and "relax the upper body." I say it turned out fairly well as I recorded my best time yet.

Holy crap. Just used google earth to measure the distance I was running and I'm only doing 45.5ish m compared to 50m :eek:. I'm not sure how much the incline works against me though. I've mapped out the 60m run though which uses a bit more of the hill, so I expect to be posting in the mid-high 7s when I run next.

Need to get out to my high school track in the next week or two to get a feel of where I am with 100m. I figure I might be able to beat my time of 12.41... but not sure how close I am to sub 12.

edit: also, watching some vids on how to improve my start and first steps on youtube, hah. :p Mainly since I don't have blocks.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... feels good today even after sprints

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... we're good.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... we're good.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... little sore in the same spot. Gonna work working it.

Garrett Smith
05-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Dips = awesome.

Your weight getup = hilarious.

Nice work!!!

Steven Low
05-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Fri: 6.5 + 2.5 hrs

Rest today. I was originally intending to do weighted dips, but decided to do HSPUs instead... but I just don't feel like doing anything so it's gonna be a rest. :)

Beast Coast jam tomorrow. Can't wait!

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... little tender today, but much improved after nap. Should be a go tomorrow (but will be careful)

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... excellent.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... R still a bit tender with lots of pressure (see manna work :()
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... not sore today, icing in prep for tomorrow.

Steven Low
05-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Sat: 4.5 hrs. Ouch.

Beast coast... got out today. Estimate that my knee is about 90% so I didn't go all out on anything, and tried to avoid any high impacts.

Worked on a lot of stuff I haven't in a while especially dashes, kongs, bar/underbar work, all of the other sorts of vaults, and cats. Good times.

Ran to the metro after it was over which was probably about 800m (with a few breaks because of stop lights). My endurance is MUCH improved from the sprinting, ironically. I think I might be able to hit sub 60s 400m. We'll see when we get to the track next week or the week after.

Beast coast continues tomorrow, so I'm hardcore icing and massing my knee and ankle.

Also, lots of massaging & hot shower for my neck because I think I strained my levator scap and maybe twisting one of my vertebral facets out of alignment... fail.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... little sore but we'll see how it responds tomorrow.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage..... R posterior shoulder a bit tight, but didn't bother me today.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... much improved.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... was a bit twingy today in some spots. We'll see tomorrow.

Charles Moreland
05-24-2009, 03:39 PM
strained levator scaps are fun! You should ignore it so you can join the club

Steven Low
05-24-2009, 04:44 PM
strained levator scaps are fun! You should ignore it so you can join the club

lol, fail. I learneth from my previous injuries! :p

Sun: 6 hrs.. not good but not bad

Worked on some precisions today among other stuff in Gateway Park in Rosslyn. Then headed over to Georgetown and did more stuff there.

We did backwards QM up the exorcist stairs. I went up and down TWICE... the second time going up was TERRIBLE. My traps are now sore from this.

I'm thinking of dips tomorrow, but we'll see how I feel after a good night's sleep.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... definitely sore, but it doesn't hurt to walk down stairs which is a good sign I didn't do too much.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage..... excellente
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... same
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... was good today, so we'll see tomorrow.

Goals in progress
~elevator
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat

Goals completed!

Current PRs
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )
30 MU for time 2:08 (08/10/07)

Steven Low
05-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Mon: 12.5 hrs (woke up twice & went back to sleep) + 2 hrs nap

Rest day. Pretty much overall sore and a bit sun burned from the past two days.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow if I wanna do anything.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... feeling pretty good today.. just slightly sore. yay.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage..... good
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... good
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... feels fine today. yay.

Steven Low
05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Tues: 5.5 + 3 hrs

Another rest day.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... Same!

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage..... great
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... great
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... little, eh.

Steven Low
05-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Weds: 7.5 hrs

weighted dips: 1x3 60# 100#; 1x2 120# 140#, 1x3 160# PR, 1x1 175# PR, 180#F
sprinting 3x60m: 8.33, 8.23, 8.24

Was aiming for the 160# PR today for 3RM and made it. MAYBE I had one more left in me. But decided to stop. Was going to go for 160x3 again but decided what the heck and go for a 1 RM PR... and made it with 175#! Sick. Although I had an "incident" with the 175# where my legs touched the support; however, I didn't push or anything as you'll see. Your call or not. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9Cu4Vd5rQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCsae5nZNto

First sprint was really bad. I'm doing the 40 yd dash start position, and I sprung up into full up in like 2 steps by accident instead of keeping head down and low in the drive phase + form on the latter 40m was poor... way too tight. Very disappointing time too. Second had better start, and knee drive, but forgot about being loose. Third was better than the second, but I hit the stopwatch late across the line... probably should've been about .1 better. But I won't say that's official 'til I run another one.

All in all, eh session. ~6.03 -> 8.23 is approximately 3/4 from the 45m to 60m, but overall I should be improving a bit more than that since I'm already at full speed. I REALLY hope that my starting on about 10 degree incline for those extra 15m is causing that dip in performance...

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... evaluating tomorrow. Felt good the whole day.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... doing well. I think the lack of OAC + cross is helping it improve a lot.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... achy here and there, but overall better. I need to stop using the mouse.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... same as knee... eval tomorrow.

Blair Lowe
05-27-2009, 11:57 PM
F'n A man. How close were you at 180. Did you push out of the hole or just go down, down, down?

Steven Low
05-28-2009, 11:49 PM
F'n A man. How close were you at 180. Did you push out of the hole or just go down, down, down?
I got up to a bit above parallel, but then it just went downhill.

--------------------

Thurs: 4 + 3 hrs

Did a bunch of jogging today running paperwork around.

Overall, rest.

Ice for the knee and shoulder... ankle is feeling a bit tight overall. We'll see how it deals tomorrow.

Aiming to do dips and some pulling tomorrow before I leave for meatfest.

Steven Low
05-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Fri: 7 hrs

Ended up not doing anything.

Traveling ~5.5 hrs to Jay's for the meatfest.

Steven Low
05-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Sat: 8 hrs

Sleep was ok. It was on a couch so it didn't feel the greatest, but it worked.

Avoided the workouts because I was afraid for my knee. Kettlebell toss overhead + pushups for every throw; sled drag; modified fight gone bad with burpee broad jumps to get to stations. Definitely not so great fairly decent impact or rough weights.

However, I was hungry by time to eat and the meatness was awesome. :)

Steven Low
06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Sun: 7 hrs + 4hrs of 5.5 hr car ride napping

Sprints in the morning with Scott Kustes
2x of 15m, 25m, 30m; 1x40m

Knee & ankle felt pretty good.

I actually think that drained my adrenals pretty badly because I was fasted state. Slept on the car ride home for most of it, then was tired as crap after I got home and ate. Oh well.. I'm not going to work out fasted in the morning again anytime soon.

Steven Low
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Mon: 8.25 hrs

weighted dips: 60 100 x3; 120 140 x2; 160 x1; 180 x1 F
+200 10s x2 supramaximal slightly bent arm holds

So my 1 RM attempt didn't go too well. 160 went up fairly easily so I thought I had it, but I guess my body decided no. One thing noticed is that if the weight FEELS really heavy I generally tend to get worse results than usual. Back a year ago when I was working with 160 it was VERY heavy, but this year 160 doesn't feel that heavy anymore. I can thusly put up 160 more easily now (obviously cause of more strength). The same is true of DLs and I suppose squats (since I've never actually squatted with an appreciable amount of weight) along with many other movements.

Anyway, I strapped on 200 lbs and did some supramaximal slightly bent arm + locked holds to get used to the feel of the heavy weight. Damn that is some heavy weight... I was almost shaking even though I was close to lockout. I'm going to experiment a bit with this and see if it helps improve my 1 RM faster. I recall I did this a bit last year with supramaximal negatives, but that progressed quite fast to a sore triceps tendon so I want to avoid that. Honestly, when I'm doing supramaximal after this I'm not going to do it with bent arms.. too much stress to put on triceps tendon, and I'm feeling it a bit right now.

I think I am going to transition to a 2 on 1 off where one of the work days is heavy dips and the other is pulling + sprints. We'll see how this works out. I can't trust my adrenals right now to do more unfortunately especially as the sprints improve, and the dips get heavier. I am going to try to improve my sleep more than it is now, and I am drinking whole milk now (although chocolatized) so my recovery should be better hopefully.

In other news, going to update my goals and such.

Injury/borderline:
~ R knee = massage, ice..... feels pretty good.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... getting much better although my lats are still fairly tight
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... pretty good
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... little bit iffy. Will see what I'm gonna do.

Goals in progress
~weighted dips to 200 lbs
~improve 100m time to sub 12s
~Improve shoulder ROM

Goals on hold
~manna

~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat

Goals completed!
~Iron cross 06.12.08 & solidified at homeshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1NFYM13ew).
~2x bodyweight dip 07.03.11
~2x bodyweight deadlift 07.03.20
~one arm pullup 07.08.01 1x4 L (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOcSdwCIzc), 1x4 R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2ugvbnEMI)
~straddle planche 07.10.30 & solidified.
~front lever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtRV_DymdJk) 07.12.24
~2x bodyweight pullup 08.07.28

Current PRs
285 lbs DL (triple) 07.07.20
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28
+175 lbs dip 09.05.27 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCsae5nZNto)
+70 lbs muscle up 08.12.04
9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
30" vertical leap 07.XX.XX
30 MU for time 2:08 08.10.07

100m: 12.41 08.06.23
400m: 106:93 08.06.23

Steven Low
06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Tues: 6 hrs

Not good.. gonna sleep well tonight assuming I don't nap.

2x15m
6x45m timed

4/10 x.xx, x.xx, 6.26, 6.21, 6.23
5/15 x.xx, x.xx, x.xx, 6.29, 6.34
5/19 6.48, 6.13, 6.33, 6.19, 6.22
5/21 x.xx, 6.19, 6.16, x.xx, 6.05
6/02 6.18, 6.12, 6.32, 5.86, x.xx, 6.01

1st and 2nd were meh. I think that's my optimal turnover so far seeing as how I get around there with the previous runs, but not that great. 3rd and 5th I mistimed some so they're off.

4th and 6th I rocked. 4th felt GREAT. That time I was focusing on driving the knees and relaxing the upper body, but this time I added in plyometrically "bouncing" in my stride (which was lengthening it CORRECTLY -- unlike forcing the length it seems to reason). 6th felt good overall, but not as good as the 4th and I felt fatigued during it. I was impressed that I still put up the second best time I've ever run while fatigued though. Now I just need to focus on this improved technique a bit more.

I got some vids of the 5th and 6th after I got that good run b/c I wanted to analyze stride, but it's soooo far away and poor quality that I'm not going to upload it.

Knee has been feeling good for at least 3 weeks now so I'm going to move it into prehab/strengthening mode finally. :) No more injuries!

edit:
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/tp100.htm
Judging from here for an 11s and 12 100m sprint at 45m I should be hitting 5.71s and 6.23s respectively. So I *might* be able to break 12s 100m right now seeing on how I'm doing fairly well even running slightly uphill. Going to try to get out to the track on Friday.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching.....
~ wrists = wrist pushups.....
~ R knee = ice, massage..... we'll see
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... we'll see

Timothy Holmes
06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Is the 6x45 a typo? If not, why did you do 45m reps instead of 50m? I thought you'd would want to extend the length of the runs.

Or 50yd = 45m?

Steven Low
06-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Is the 6x45 a typo? If not, why did you do 45m reps instead of 50m? I thought you'd would want to extend the length of the runs.

Or 50yd = 45m?
I actually measured out the 60m, and I knew where the 45m mark was... but I didn't mark off 50m, and I didn't want to eyeball it.

Plus, I wanted to compare my times this time again after I improved my technique somewhat. If I do a new distance, I don't have any time comparison for the first couple runs really which sucks.

Timothy Holmes
06-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh, just read all of your 5/21 post. Now it makes sense...

It sounds like you might benefit from doing some bounding to lengthen your stride and help with the "bounce". Charlie Francis recommends about 20 foot contacts after speed work. Then again, Charlie Francis recommends speed endurance work too. ;)

Steven Low
06-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Weds: 9.5 hrs + 2 hrs

No warmup

50 burpees unbroken w/ chest to ground

That was possibly the hardest cardio thing I've done since my 400m run last year when I was out of shape. At about 25 I thought this is getting a little hard. At 35 I was thinking what the hell am I doing. At 43 I remember wanting to stop really badly, but I kept going by throwing myself at the ground so I wouldn't bend over and take a breath. Last 5 I did without thinking, and now I'm just hurting for breath still like 10 minutes after. :(

Probably aiming for some non-dips work tomorrow.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... Good.. haven't been as good with the stretching (no more than a few stretches), so gonna try to do a longer session tomorrow
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... not bad, not good
~ R knee = ice, massage..... feels pretty good today overall
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... calves feel tight.. gonna stretch them as much as I can

Steven Low
06-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Thurs: 4 hrs

Guh. Decided to rest instead.

Prehab:
~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... little tender today. Supposed to rain tomorrow, so I probably won't be able to run at the track unfortunately.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... little tight.

Steven Low
06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Fri: 7 + 2 hrs

rings free HSPUs: 5,2
adv. tuck FL pullups: 10
regular abs to bar pullups: 10

Requisite blooper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZYgS1psJKc

Form was crappy, and I didn't lock out for fear of falling forward and smashing myself. I HATE doing them so close to the ground... for obvious reasons. Chris suggested I upload though, since they are free and like 90% ROM. Shrug. This was all I had tonight.. probably could get 6-7 if I was fresh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiJTSe0oQvw

Pullups work was actually pretty fatiguing for so few reps.... sadly enough. I need to get back into the explosive pulling some more.

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... excellent
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... R wrist a bit iffy
~ R knee = ice, massage..... excellent
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... ankle is tight, not muscles

David Boyle
06-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Awesome stuff....however I thought the roof was going to come down on you.

Is that your home gym/training area?

Steven Low
06-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Awesome stuff....however I thought the roof was going to come down on you.

Is that your home gym/training area?Yeah, hopefully that doesn't happen.

And yes, training area.

-----------------

Sat: 3.5 + 4

Man,.. poor sleep this weekend. Going to be tomorrow too.

1x20 abs to bar pullups.

That's my probably my pullups limit.. endurance sucks still sigh. If I can work it up to a set of 30 I might consider shooting for the 30 MUs again, hah.

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... excellent
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... Need to get off the computer. Gonna try to take a day away tomorrow.
~ R knee = ice, massage..... excellent
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... been stretching it to try to get ROM so I need to ice to prevent swelling. Been going well I think.

Blair Lowe
06-07-2009, 04:03 AM
Geez man, 20 pullups to abs. Definitely making a case that pure strength gives over to endurance reps for far easier progressions.

Apparently those are too easy for you. :D

Steven Low
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Sun: 3.5 + 1

Very bad. Decided to run today anyway.

3x20m w/ 2-3 mins rest between each
2x100m w/ 15 mins rest between each

06/23/08 100m: 12.41s (out of shape)
06/06/09 100m: 12.08s, 11.96s (w/ 6 sets of 4-6x45m runs in past month leading up b/c nursing knee)

PRed on both. Both of the runs didn't feel as crisp as the one I did for 45m on 6/2. Speaking of which, the previous PR with the 45m at 5.86s calculated out that predicted to be a 11.3s at 100m run WITH the slight incline (5 degrees). However, since I'm self timing there's probably a bigger error at shorter distances.

Here's the things I noticed that negatively affected me:
1. Didn't relax upper body/face during both runs (was focused moreso on driving the knees).
2. Arm swing was straight, but elbows were not bent enough giving my arm swing too long of an arc = bad.
3. First run I got confused where the finish was and slowed down very slightly about 10-15m before the finish.
4. Held breath during about 40-50m of the second 100m. Knowing me I probably also did this for the first one too. Oops.

With a couple more runs I should be able to figure out if that was just a freakingly good time or what for the 45m. I'm gonna try to get out probably on Tues or Weds this week again and run 100m twice or thrice trying to get form better and see how it feels.

Disappointed my runs weren't that crisp as I said earlier, but I am satisfied for now since I broke the 12s barrier.

Probably will do a set or two of pullups later today.

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... we are good besides in flexion stretch my shoulder feels a little unstable. I need to do a little ER work again.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... Forgot to do them yesterday, but they are feeling much better today since I've been off the computer.
~ R knee = ice, massage..... will eval tomorrow. Felt good going into 100m today.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... will eval tomorrow. Felt good going into 100m today.

Blair Lowe
06-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Nice. You and your damn legs. First they jump high, now they run fast. I envy. Though I might be able to hit around 12s hand timed.

Steven Low
06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Hah, I got some decent genetics as far as the hips go. I'm naturally hamstring/glute dominant. Unfortunately, not super gifted like Usain Bolt...

Go for it though. Chris Salvato says he can break 12s too.... challenge time. Hop to it.

(Yes, this is a call out!)

-----------------------

Updating goals and such.

Goals in progress
~improve 100m time to sub 11.5s
~Improve shoulder ROM
~Keep my shoulders healthy with vertical/horizontal pulling

Long term goals
~manna
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC + OA pullover, OA rope climb (?)
~2.5x BW DL + floor GHR / BW HS curl
~Break 11s 100m & 50s 400m + vertical to 36", broad 10'

Goals completed! (vids may not reflect completion date)
~Iron cross 06.12.08 & solidified at homeshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1NFYM13ew).
~one arm pullup 07.08.01 1x4 L (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOcSdwCIzc), 1x4 R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2ugvbnEMI)

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28
+180 lbs dip 09.06.11 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV-6aL34xRs)

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07
100m: 11.96 09.06.07

Scott Kustes
06-08-2009, 10:25 AM
11.48 with a shit start Saturday. 11.2 by end of July.

Scott Kustes
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Oh, and mine was electronically timed. :-P

Steven Low
06-08-2009, 07:59 PM
11.48 with a shit start Saturday. 11.2 by end of July.

Oh, and mine was electronically timed. :-P
Psshh, you don't count! :p

----------------------

Mon: 6 + 2.5

weighted dips: 60# 120# x3, 160# 1x1, 3x3

Initially was going to go for the 180 PR, but it felt too heavy with the 1x1. But as it turned out I ended up being able to do 160 3x3.

R elbow is a bit sore. I bashed it into things 2-3 times already today (fail) and then the heavy dips tonight. I'm gonna ice it with my knee and ankle (both of which are feeling great though).

Here's the plan...

Tue: sprinting + pulling
Wed: rest
Thurs: Dips PR hopefully
Fri: sprinting + pulling

And then going on a cruise Sat-Thurs. :)

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... doing well. More lats stretching is needed
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... Feeling overall well.
~ R knee = ice, massage..... GREAT!
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... GREAT! Little tight at edge of ROM but that's expected

Steven Low
06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Tues: 7.5 + 2.5 hrs

100m: 12.23s

Didn't feel that great today... got up too fast, start and whole run felt sluggish, think I tried to lengthen my stride too much and slowed down, etc.

Decided after the first just to call it quits because it felt THAT bad... plus, clouds came in during my rest break and it started lightning-ing so it was like confirmation to just leave. :)

I need to get some more film on myself to see what's going on.

Gonna rest and stick to schedule:
Wed: rest
Thurs: Dips PR hopefully
Fri: sprinting + pulling

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... doing well.
~ wrists = wrist pushups.....
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... GREAT!

Scott Kustes
06-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I'd advise not doing many, if any, 100m sprints in training (I haven't done a single 100m or 200m run in training this year). Focus on shorter sprints for speed and acceleration, no longer than 60m, and rarely over 40m. The 100m is actually 3 phases (or more depending on who you ask and how complicated they want to make things):
- Acceleration: Up to about 30m, getting yourself moving at maximum velocity and into sprinting position.
- Maximum speed: Up to 60-70m. You're at top speed here.
- Speed maintenance: otherwise known as decelerating. Goal is to decelerate, which is inevitable, slower than the guy in the next lane decelerates...that is, you're holding speed better. This comes down to speed endurance and working multiple 100s isn't going to build it as well as other things.

For speed-endurance, 120s-150s will help you maintain down the last 40m.

Steven Low
06-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I'd advise not doing many, if any, 100m sprints in training (I haven't done a single 100m or 200m run in training this year). Focus on shorter sprints for speed and acceleration, no longer than 60m, and rarely over 40m. The 100m is actually 3 phases (or more depending on who you ask and how complicated they want to make things):
- Acceleration: Up to about 30m, getting yourself moving at maximum velocity and into sprinting position.
- Maximum speed: Up to 60-70m. You're at top speed here.
- Speed maintenance: otherwise known as decelerating. Goal is to decelerate, which is inevitable, slower than the guy in the next lane decelerates...that is, you're holding speed better. This comes down to speed endurance and working multiple 100s isn't going to build it as well as other things.

For speed-endurance, 120s-150s will help you maintain down the last 40m.
Yes, I realize this (have been doing lots of reading + previous stuff I've read). :p

Anyway, I've trying to get a gauge on what my 100m time is accurately. I'm probably gonna run 1-2 on Friday when I'm fresh again (hopefully), and then we'll see what I have to work on. May also run a 400m to gauge where I am here as well.

But yeah, my legs are still adapting because they are hypertrophying which is a good thing I guess although this will probably negatively affect my upper body strength, hah.

I will be pretty much off for a week or so after this, so it will be fine if I overwork/overreach myself a little bit.

Scott Kustes
06-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Not really an issue with overreaching. Just making sure your entire training regimen wasn't built around 100m runs. ;-D

It's going to be very hard to get an accurate time timing yourself. Do you have a "countdown-chrono" feature on your watch? If so, you can use it like a starting pistol...set a 10 second countdown, get ready to roll, when it hits 0 and beeps, take off. Then you just have to stop the chrono at the end.

And yes, adding mass to your lower body is going to hurt your upper body strength, relatively speaking.

Steven Low
06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Weds: 6+2

Rest

~ shoulders = massage..... doing well.
~ wrists = wrist work.....
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... GREAT!

Steven Low
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Thurs: 4.5 + 1.5

Yes, I know bad sleep.

Weighted dips: 60x4, 120x3, 160x2, 170x1, 180x1 PR, 185x1F, 185x1F

I am pretty sure I can make 185 when fresh. The 180 went up oh so easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV-6aL34xRs

Ok so here's the plan besides sprinting + pulling tomorrow.

Cruise Sat->Thurs. Then I'm probably gonna try weighted dips one more time after this aiming for the 185 (well, I'm gonna try 'til I get the 185).

Then I'm gonna stop dipping for a while and go back to rings strength while I work on deadlifting (hopefully knee will cooperate) with my sprint work.

Previous PR way back when with DL when I had an uninjured knee was 285x3 in like 10 total DL sessions ever... so I think I have a lot more in me.

~ shoulders = massage..... they feel great honestly
~ wrists = wrist work..... doing well
~ R knee = ice, massage..... a little residual soreness
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... a little residual soreness

Chris Salvato
06-12-2009, 06:15 AM
The fact that you PR on 5.5 Hours of sleep or less consistently boggles my mind and shakes me to the core of my existence...

Steven Low
06-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Fri: 6 hrs

3x100m: 12.41s, 12.26s, 12.38s

Pretty bad overall. I think there's a correlation with the heavy dips I do the day before, and the poor sleep I have gotten this week, haha. Who woulda thought.

The last one felt the best. As I fatigue I think my body kinda "reverts" to better form because it's more energy efficient. Kind of retard that only when I fatigue that happens. Anyway, I felt like crap (or probably 80-85% of max capacity) 30m into the last run, but it ended up better than my first run so that tells me that my form was noticably better.

Anyway, we'll see what's up after I get back from the cruise. I am expecting some wicked supercompensation hopefully. Plan is to be running shorter stuff with DL after I break my dip PR when I get back.

adv. tuck FL pullups: 2x10

~ shoulders = massage..... gonna keep stretching them on the cruise
~ wrists = wrist work..... feels loose which is good
~ R knee = ice, massage..... both felt good today.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... both felt good today

Steven Low
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Sat-Weds: Sleep was variable depending on what we did.

I ate A LOT. But I did some IF here and there. At dinner I pretty much ate 2 main courses each day... one either with fish or meat (usually 2 meats) and then desert. Was pretty awesome.

Great fun overall.. although it did rain in the afternoon when we were at Cayman Islands and Cozumel Mexico unfortunately.

Anyway, preparing to do some dips tonight and then eat. So we'll see what happens in the next few hours.

Steven Low
06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Thurs: 6? + 2 hrs

We definitely stayed up late the last day among other things. Flight got delayed so I slept 2 crappy hours in the airport.

Anyway, I was gonna go to sleep on the airplane, but since I notice small things like the cute girl next to me was in pain. I asked her if she sprained her thumb and she said yes... so then I asked for a bag of ice + plastic bag from the attendents and ran her down with 15-20m on every hour + advised her on some massage. So that's why I didn't get another nap.

Weighted dips: 60x4, 120x3, 160x2, 170x1, 185x1 PR, 190x1 PR

Rocked out the weighted dips today. That break was something even with the poor sleep this last night. :) Seeing as how I dominated this, I am thinking about trying to hit 195 and then 200 within the next week. I'll think about it this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFM-umtLm4

Anyway, I still want to transfer into DL + sprinting and get back to the rings work, so that is definitely happening next cycle regardless of where I end this one.

Ankle and knee have "somewhat" healed up a bit since I was walking a lot and snorkling and stuff that did put a bunch of stress on them. I may do a prehab week for my ankle and knee while I go for the dips PR or something. There's so much I have to do to prepare myself, hah. Time to think some more. :)

Goals in progress
~Improve shoulder ROM
~Keep my shoulders healthy with vertical/horizontal pulling

Long term goals
~manna
~2.5x BW DL + floor GHR / BW HS curl

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28
+190 lbs dip 09.06.18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFM-umtLm4)

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Steven Low
06-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Fri: 8 hrs + 2 hrs nap

Rest day

I may workout tomorrow or I may not. We'll see how I feel.

Steven Low
06-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Sat: 5.5 hrs

Another rest day.

Also, I am pretty sure that drinking milk is giving me acne again (as I have been breaking out a bit ever since I started drinking it again). Therefore, I am probably going to cut it out, and try to eat more instead. Probably won't work though but I'll try. :(

Going to go for dips PR tonight. If I don't make it I am likely going to back off and go into rings + sprints/DLs. I don't have the patience to keep prolonging everything now. :) I'll probably come back to the dips sometime at the end of the summer or something.

Did none of these except ice for knee/ankle (but posting it here so I remember to update these again).

~ shoulders = massage..... gonna keep stretching them on the cruise
~ wrists = wrist work..... feels loose which is good
~ R knee = ice, massage..... both felt good today.
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... both felt good today

David Boyle
06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
ahhh Steve...your going through puberty that's it...

Don't worry man....

just kidding Mr Low...your a beast I shouldn't be talking smack.

Well maybe that is why I am...

Freakin haters....

haha...

Steven Low
06-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Sun: 6 + 2.5

Guh. Bad sleep. Not eating enough either.

15x2 burpees

weighted dips: 60x4, 120x3, 160x2, 180x1f

Couldn't even push 180 today so I'm just gonna give up. I know it may sound premature but yeah. My elbows are a little sore anyway so now it's time to transition over to rings work again + DL/sprints.

Gotta make sure I eat enough.

~ shoulders = massage..... they feel good. Probably gonna need some ER work once I start up rings
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... we'll see
~ R knee = ice, massage, some full ROM squats..... good.. definitely improving
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... calf a bit tight but overall good

Goals in progress
~rings full planche & maltese & elevator
~2.5x BW DL
~Improve shoulder ROM

Long term goals
~manna
~floor GHR / BW HS curl

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Steven Low
06-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Mon: 6+1

Rest. Tomorrow I start some rings work.

Day after I will probably do some short sprints. Focused on doing some full ROM squats right now for rehabings.

~ shoulders = massage..... great. may take these off.. but we'll see how they respond to rings + pullups work
~ R knee = ice, massage, 20 full ROM squats..... gets slightly sore after ~10 full ROM squats so it could be better.
~ L ankle = massage..... feels pretty good

Steven Low
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Tues: 8 + 2.5

slide OAC: 3x3
RTO dips to 5s adv. tuck PL: 3x2

I am doing the straight arm hand slide assist with OAC in hopes that it's more shoulder friendly. I can add weight to make it more like a real OAC if it is. OAC by itself likes to have its way with my R shoulder. Judging from the arm assist I use I can probably still do ~2-2.5 OAC.

My rings work is a bit shaky since I haven't done any in a while.

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... we'll see how it turns out in a few sessions
~ R knee = ice, massage..... gonna see how it responds after some short sprint work tomorrow
~ L ankle = massage.... indeed we shall see

Steven Low
06-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Weds: 6+1

Sprints 5x45m: X.XX, X.XX, 6.44, 6.26, 6.18

These were poor and had lots of faults with them. I am going to stop doing this and rebuild my start within the first 15-20m.

The first four I wasn't even thinking about the start, and since I was running with my brother we basically concluded I was getting up too early. I was focusing on powerful strides and getting them technically correct, but I was still having trouble anyway. So I'm going back to the basics.

Start sprints I'm going to focus on initial breath + getting out at the right angles (film) + staying down until ~15-20m. If there's anything else I should be working on let me know whoever reads this who also does sprinting.

Probably going to skip tomorrow and then do rings + slide OAC Fri.... then Sat with light DLs + start sprints for 15-20m.

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... they feel fine today. AC joint is moving around a bunch though & posterior delt is sore.
~ R knee = ice, massage..... we'll see.
~ L ankle = ice, massage.... we'll see

Steven Low
06-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Thurs: 6 + 1.5

Rest

Chris H Laing
06-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Whats a slide OAC?

Steven Low
06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Whats a slide OAC?
straight arm hand slide assist

As in.... right arm OAC with left arm staying straight and hand sliding out to the side on the rail.

You've probably seen it in some of the dumb ghetto workout vids. Similar to the circular ones.

Steven Low
06-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Fri: 6+1

Man, this poor sleep is getting to me a bit. It's not terrible, but I don't like having to take naps + throws off my sleep at night.

slide OAC: 3x4
rings tuck PL PUs: 2x10

Overall, decent. OAC work is still pretty strong although endurance is poor. Same with pushing endurance. Meh.

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... great so far
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... little irritated today
~ R knee = ice, massage..... BAD... during my nap I slept kinda funny, and it's been hurting a lot all day. I might have to cancel my DLs/sprint starts tomorrow :(
~ L ankle = ice, massage.... GOOD.

Steven Low
06-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Sat: 7.5 + .5

Better.

My knee is sore today, so I am going to play it safe and just ice + massage. I am going to reeval tomorrow to see if I can.

Right now it looks better if I just do some regular prehab stuff like some bodyweight squats.

~ shoulders = massage, stretching..... a bit sore/tight... good old DOMS
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... ok
~ R knee = ice, massage..... better
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... bit sore. weather change.

Steven Low
06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Sun: 3.5 + 3.5

Bad sleep. I'm gonna give the knee a day more of rest and hopefully see if it feels up to the DLs + sprint work. It's almost feeling top notch again.

burpees 1x15, 20

(have been warming up with 2x15 but I'll increase it as I need to warm up fine)

slide OAC: 2x5
rings hollowback press to shoulderstand: 3x5

I feel stronger today with the slide OAC, but I was significantly assisting some of the reps. I am going to try to work up to 10 each arm. No more than 2 sets else I probably risk burning myself out like last time's volume training.

Didn't feel like lowering my rings to the floor to get out the handstand... haven't done these in a while so it's hard enough and with the rings wide it's tougher than usual. Even without the HSPU it's a difficult pressing exercise.

~ shoulders = massage..... worked posterior delts hard we'll see
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... ok
~ R knee = ice, massage..... getting there
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... bit sore. weather change.

Blair Lowe
06-29-2009, 03:12 AM
An interesting note, Steve is that on the day of my last CFT my right knee was kind of achey and I thought it might give me some problems. It was achey when I was merely squatting with an empty bar ( though I didn't feel it on candle to deck squat and didn't try SLS, I think ). On the 2nd set around 95 it was still there and I think it was there at 135 ( using 5r ).

After that though, it went away and didn't feel it as I approached or went beyond 200.

Sometimes just moving gets things like this out of the way.

Chris Salvato
06-29-2009, 05:32 AM
An interesting note, Steve is that on the day of my last CFT my right knee was kind of achey and I thought it might give me some problems. It was achey when I was merely squatting with an empty bar ( though I didn't feel it on candle to deck squat and didn't try SLS, I think ). On the 2nd set around 95 it was still there and I think it was there at 135 ( using 5r ).

After that though, it went away and didn't feel it as I approached or went beyond 200.

Sometimes just moving gets things like this out of the way.

I had a similar experience with my patellar tendinitis. Low and behold, though, when I started getting back to maximal weights, the pain would resurface...it was something like this...

45x5 - Pain
95x5 - Less Pain
135x5 - Less Pain still
200x5 - No Pain
300x3 - Pain as bad as 45x5

Haven't squatted in a few months heavy and my tendinitis is worse as ever. Working through pain is always bad imho...

Steven Low
06-29-2009, 09:24 AM
That often happens with overuse... need to warmup better.

And rest more.

Steven Low
06-29-2009, 09:24 PM

2x20 burpees

deadlifts: 160x5x3

First set made my knee a little sore, second was better, then third made it as sore as it tends to get after sprints. Thus, I didn't hit up any sprint work after this.

Good to know I can start DLing again to rehab my knee though. I am not going to try to go heavy anytime soon though... going to take it pretty slow.. maybe 5-10 lbs per session or so.

Weight felt fairly light to me like 100 lbs dips do... so if I was estimating I could probably hit about 2x bodyweight DL (260 lbs) at the moment... maybe a bit higher. But that is just a guess. Knee probably wouldn't handle that so I can't try anytime soon either. :(

~ shoulders = massage..... they feel good. May take this off after a few more sessions of slide OAC.
~ wrists = wrist pushups..... R wrist is a bit aggravated again
~ R knee = ice, massage..... sore but good
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... good

Steven Low
06-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Tues: 6 hrs

I tried to get to bed earlier b/c I had to wake up early, but I was awake for 1 hrs before I was able to. Much better than the other times I've lied away for 2-3 hours. Need better sleep habits.. tired so should be able to get to bed by at least 12 or so tonight. As long as I don't nap.

Felt about the same from last time. Maybe slightly easier on the latter reps. I am going to stick with this a bit probably at 5 reps 'til it gets a bunch easier.

~ shoulders = massage..... good so far. :)
~ wrists = massage..... better.. more massage necessary
~ R knee = ice, massage..... pretty good today!
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... a bit sore

Steven Low
07-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Weds: 6.5 + 1

Went down to Primal.. ended up programming a workout for Christy Phillips (going to the games, 1st at mid atlantic) and Travis (traceur). If you guys wanna try it have fun:

4 rounds:
50 meters (or yds) pistol broad jumps alternating legs (pistol and immediate one leg jump)
2 rope climbs 15 ft
8 ring dips

I woulda done it too if my R leg was cooperative.. but not yet. My left is still good for work though, but that woulda been too much doing just left leg pistol broads

For me it was supposed to be a rest day, but I ended up jogging back to the metro... did probably 95% sustainable aerobic pace for 550m. I wonder if I can get a sub 60s 400m now seeing as how I mapped that out on google for how long it was being that it felt pretty quick...

I may true rest day tomorrow, but I'll see how I feel.

~ shoulders = massage..... good so far. R posterior is a bit sore, but not bad sore
~ wrists = massage..... better
~ R knee = ice, massage..... held up well
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... a bit sore

Júlíus G. Magnússon
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Looks like a cool workout you had them do.

I just came across Christy's log earlier. That chick is doing some impressive stuff. How long did it take her and Travis to finish?

Steven Low
07-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Looks like a cool workout you had them do.

I just came across Christy's log earlier. That chick is doing some impressive stuff. How long did it take her and Travis to finish?
I think it was 10:15 and Travis 10:19. She didn't use feet for the first round of rope climbs; Travis didn't use any feet for the rope climbs and started from seated on all of them.

edits: rechecked with Christy's log as she posted times. My memory is poo for remembering times other than my own workouts hah.

Steven Low
07-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I think it was 10:15 and Travis 10:19. She didn't use feet for the first round of rope climbs; Travis didn't use any feet for the rope climbs and started from seated on all of them.

edits: rechecked with Christy's log as she posted times. My memory is poo for remembering times other than my own workouts hah.
Thurs: 5.5 + 2.5

Rest.

Ice for the knee.

Steven Low
07-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Thurs: 5.5 + 2.5

Rest.

Ice for the knee.
Fri: 6 + 2.5

Another rest.

Patrick Donnelly
07-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Steve, I question how wise burpees are for a warm-up. They're not exactly joint-friendly, even when performed correctly (jumping from a perfect plank push-up to a flat-footed, tight back, ATG air squat, then exploding into the air.) I'd like to throw dumbbell swings out there as a possible alternative, especially to be considered for a deadlift warm-up. As with all things exercise-related though, it'd take some testing to see if it's better or worse.

Steven Low
07-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Steve, I question how wise burpees are for a warm-up. They're not exactly joint-friendly, even when performed correctly (jumping from a perfect plank push-up to a flat-footed, tight back, ATG air squat, then exploding into the air.) I'd like to throw dumbbell swings out there as a possible alternative, especially to be considered for a deadlift warm-up. As with all things exercise-related though, it'd take some testing to see if it's better or worse.
For me?

They're great actually don't hurt my knee at all. I don't really go tight airsquat jump... I just do it relaxed with poor form I guess...

Sat: 6 + 2.5

1x25 burpees

Initial set felt easier, latter set felt harder than previous sessions.

~ shoulders = massage..... none
~ wrists = massage..... bit sore
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... is tight

Steven Low
07-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Sun: 2+4

Rest

DLs tomorrow barring any bad knee pain.

~ shoulders = massage..... none
~ wrists = massage..... bit sore
~ L ankle = ice, massage..... is tight

Patrick Donnelly
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
For me?

They're great actually don't hurt my knee at all. I don't really go tight airsquat jump... I just do it relaxed with poor form I guess...
Whatever works then. I was simply thinking of the last time I saw you do an air squat, which didn't look like it'd be too burpee-friendly. As long as your knee is improving from it though, go for it.

Chris H Laing
07-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Whatever works then. I was simply thinking of the last time I saw you do an air squat, which didn't look like it'd be too burpee-friendly. As long as your knee is improving from it though, go for it.

I dont think steve is doing air squats in his burpees.

Steven Low
07-07-2009, 08:00 PM

1x25 burpees

3 rounds:
15 rings PPPUs
5 160 lbs DL

Slide OAC... first set was good, second set was poor. Sleep still not the best.

The PPPUs and DLs ended up well. Knee was good to me.

Ice for the knee.

Steven Low
07-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Tues: 6

1x25 burpees

slide OAC: 1x5

Was at primal... decided not to do anything after. Slide OAC were terrible, but I expected them to be. My sleep schedule is sooo messed up.

Knee ice.

Steven Low
07-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Weds: 5 + 2

Rest

Steven Low
07-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Thurs: 4+3

Rest.

Am going to a wedding. Probably gonna be bodyweight exercises for me over into next week.

Steven Low
07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Fri: ~10-11 hrs of sleep although in 1-2 hour chunks as I kept waking up during the car ride.

Nothing this evening.

Steven Low
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Sat: 11 hrs

Went to wedding.

Figured out there was a gym in the place we were staying in so:

C2 row: 250-270m @ 1:40 pace

slide OAC: 3x5
weighted dips: 45x20x2

Pretty brief workout all things considered.

Steven Low
07-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Sun: 8 hrs

C2 row: 250-270m @ 1:40 pace

DB maltese pull outs: 25x8x3

First night I missed that I could actually use the DBs for some useful exercises so I used them for some maltese work. 25 lbs was really hard which it should not be, haha. Well, we'll see.

Also, worked on some precisions outside as we toured the city with the wedding people.

Steven Low
07-14-2009, 06:42 PM

C2 row: 500m @ 1:47.1 pace

First ever 500m I've done. Last 150m were very difficult for me like the 50 burpees and 400m runs have been. I just don't have the cardiovascular endurance to sustain better paces yet. If I did 1:40 should be fairly decent to get except at my bodyweight I don't think I could pull a 1:30-1:35 at all.

DB maltese pull outs: 30x5x3

slide OAC have been progressively getting worse throughout the 2nd and 3rd day due to fatigue. Planned rest on Tuesday.

Maltese work was a bit better as the movement felt more "greased" but it was still fairly difficult. I am definitely sore in the upper body (mostly chest though).

Steven Low
07-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Tues: 12 hrs (intermittent 1-2 hrs like on the previous car ride).

Feel pretty good right now. This is definitely a rest day.

C2 was actually good for my knee I believe although I think I overdid it with the precisions on Sun.

Gonna ice my knee and ankle tonight because I haven't been able to.

Also, just for clarification I usually post in:

sets x reps

But with weight I do:

weight x reps x sets

Steven Low
07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Weds: 6.5

Knee has been a little sore from sleeping wrong I think.

DL: 160x5x2

Only did two this time. Felt fine. I'll see about increasing next time.

~ shoulders = massage..... R has been a bit tight, but I think that's from supercomp
~ wrists = massage..... bit sore. I need to condition more frequently :\
~ R knee = ice, massage..... it's been a bit sore since the precisions. But overall not too bad
~ L ankle = ..... is tight same with the wrists

Steven Low
07-17-2009, 03:02 AM
Thurs: 4 + .5

I know. Poor.

6 rounds
3 abs pullups (switched between pronated/supinated grip)
3 ring dips (deep as possible)

Rest 10 minutes. Repeat.

Prepping for a 30 MUs for time attempt next week. Should be fun/interesting.

~ shoulders = massage..... good
~ wrists = massage..... sore still
~ R knee = ice, massage..... feels overall good
~ L ankle = ..... still a bit tight but less overall

I'm gonna take off my shoulder as it's been fairing me well for a while with the slide OAC. :)

Steven Low
07-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Fri: 7 + 4

20 burpees

7 rounds:

7 mins rest, then 5 rounds.

Haven't really decided how I want to approach it yet. I have the opportunity to use my skill with kip to supports (or even swinging back uprises) to abuse the muscle up standard. I am almost certain I can blow out the 2 minute barrier if I do about 10-15 kip to supports and then just do super kipped muscle ups for the rest. Or I could just do it straight up and try to break 2 minutes like I want to. Any thoughts?

Aiming to get DLs and maybe another upper metcon in tomorrow.

~ wrists = ..... feels good
~ R knee = massage..... burpees help a lot I think
~ L ankle = ..... improving without any work on it

Steven Low
07-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Sat: 2 + 4

Yeahhh. That wasn't good.

Rest.

Gonna go 3/1 then rest then 30 MUs on Thurs I believe.

Was also reminded about single ring muscle ups... so I figure I'll try to get that on video tape sometime in the near future. As far as I know there are none up on youtube.

~ wrists = ..... feels fine
~ R knee = ..... lateral aspect of tibial tuberosity is slightly sore
~ L ankle = ..... very little tightness

Timothy Holmes
07-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Prepping for a 30 MUs for time attempt next week. Should be fun/interesting.

I'm eager to hear the result... Get 'er done, Steve!

Steven Low
07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Sun: 2+3

20 burpees

8 rounds (might have been 9 I lost count):

4 mins rest, then 5 rounds.

Going to DL tomorrow.

~ R knee = ..... good
~ L ankle = ..... good

Blair Lowe
07-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I say try kip to support and the next 3/1 try typical MU from L or hang or kip even.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
07-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I say try kip to support and the next 3/1 try typical MU from L or hang or kip even.
Yeah, as much as I hate it when people replace muscle-ups with kips to support, I think you should try it and see what kind of ridiculous time you can get. Then do it with actual muscle-ups sometime later for comparison.

I could see this going up on the CrossFit main page as a video with the kips to support on one half of the screen and the muscle-ups on the other.

Chris H Laing
07-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, as much as I hate it when people replace muscle-ups with kips to support, I think you should try it and see what kind of ridiculous time you can get. Then do it with actual muscle-ups sometime later for comparison.

I could see this going up on the CrossFit main page as a video with the kips to support on one half of the screen and the muscle-ups on the other.

Fucking brilliant idea.

Steve, you should actually send it in.

Steven Low
07-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Eh, maybe. I honestly haven't practiced any technique stuff for a while now so it's unlikely my time with pure kip to support will be very good by rep about 15 on. But I'll see how I feel.

-----------------------

Mon: 7 + 2

15 burpees

deadlift: 160x5, 190x3

Felt pretty good. Then I tweaked my R knee a bit while I turned to pick up some more weight. Fail. Ice directly afterwards for 15 mins. We'll see how it does tomorrow.

9 rounds:

1 min rest, then 4 rounds.

That was pretty hard. I have no doubt I can do 30... but it doesn't feel like I have the ability to go sub2 although I am pretty sure I can do sub 2:30. I hope I'm wrong. I got explosive pull limiting fatigue at approximately reps 15-18, but even without that I am sure I can muscle through to about 24-25. It's just going to be about getting those last 5-6 reps in.

~ R knee = ice, massage ..... tweaked. Fail.
~ L ankle = ..... need to start stretching it again.

Goals in progress
~rings full planche & maltese & elevator (after this 30 MUs sessions)
~slide OAC up to 10
~2.5x BW DL
~Improve shoulder ROM

Long term goals
~manna
~weighted dips to 200 lbs / 1.5x bodyweight
~floor GHR / BW HS curl

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Steven Low
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Tues: 6.5 + 2.5 + 2

Caught up on a bit of sleep, but not very good overall.

15 burpees

10 rounds:

30s min rest, then 2 rounds.

Got a 2:08, but there is a lot of missed transition time between the pullups and dips (19 times I gotta go back and forth), so I would usually have some rest built in... and I don't think that I need to pull abs to bar to make it. On the other hand, I haven't been practicing false grip any at all, and the rings I will be on are much longer.

So it will probably be a crapshoot to break the barrier. I'm strongly considering doing the kips this time around, so next week possible I can do the real thing with a bit more metabolic advantage. I'll consider it over the next 2 days.

~ R knee = ice, massage ..... oddly feels pretty good. Quick ice helps a lot.
~ L ankle = ..... good today

Chris H Laing
07-22-2009, 05:29 AM
Just make sure you film it!

Steven Low
07-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Weds: 8.5 hrs

Rest day.

Steven Low
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Thurs: 10.5 hrs

30 MUs for time: DNF

Yes, I DNFed. Couple of things I noticed -- (1) I modifed my kip to the front uprise CF style which was a bad idea as it put more stress on my triceps -- shoulda stuck with the L-kip, and (2) not having been on long strap rings consistently for probably +12 months raped me. This meant that my dips were my failing point rather than the pulling I was getting in practice.

Scheme was 9-8-7-6 every 30s, and I was tired into the second set whereas generally I get badly fatigued into the middle of the third set. So it translated down to where I only got about ~20-21 MUs by the 2 min mark which was terrible.

Anyway, enough excuses. I may or may not try again. This workout really grates on me; not even sure if I wanna do 30 kip to supports for time. My lack of adaptation to the long strap rings will rape me again I think if I try it. Soooooooo frustrating.

In other news, filmed the single rings MUs (which turned out to be the only bright spot of the day):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tnlsa6O9A4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1YooDy8oBA

+ bit of jogging between the metro and Primal.

~ wrists = massage..... feels a bit off
~ R knee = ice, massage ..... Gonna DL tomorrow.
~ L ankle = ..... operated pretty well today

Júlíus G. Magnússon
07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Those single ring muscle-ups are awesome.

Steven Low
07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Fri: 6 + 3

manna attempts (assisted hip push up): 5s 3x3
PPPUs: 3x10

People in the basement so I can't workout down there late.

Going to be transitioning back into maltese/planche + manna + elevator + DL/sprints. Good mix of push/pull/posterior chain

~ wrists = massage, wrist pushups..... good sore
~ R knee = ice, massage ..... ended up doing some box pistols
~ L ankle = ..... leaving it be for now

Steven Low
07-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Sat: 3 + 3.5

Rest.

Yes, I have been staying awake when I need to sleep.

Steven Low
07-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Sun: 3.5 + 3.5 + 1.5

Rest.

So was planning to do something but ultimately didn't. Probably a good idea to rest anyway.

So updates.

L ankle is doing fairly well, I probably do need to rest and ice + stretch so I can get ROM back without aggravating it like it was kinda slightly perpetuatually sore for that 1-2 month period. Overall, it's probably 90% ROM which I can live with, but I'd like it to not get sore when I sprint or do Parkour. So we'll see.

R knee had been sore on the lateral aspect of the tibial tuberosity from the tweak earlier. Was a bit sore today (Sun) so I need to take it slow. The medial aspect I can pretty much hit as hard as I want so that means it's healed for the most part. Just gotta strengthen this side more.

R wrist is still sore occasionally. Just need to keep up with the prehab and add in some ice if possiblie because of the manna work again. That's originally why I stopped it... if I focus on not putting my wrist in a vulnerable position it should be ok.

Resuming shoulder stretching because they are getting tight again.

Steven Low
07-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Mon: 6.5

manna attempts (assisted hip push up): 5s 3x3
PPPUs: 3x10 + 1-2s hold feet off ground at bottom
wall handstand: 3x max

Overall, manna progress set back to maybe 10-20 degrees past vert from where I was about 45-55 degrees past before. So I got some makeup work ahead of me. Very tough on my back and triceps which is good.

~ wrists = wrist pushups..... manna is going well here so no complaints
~ R knee = massage ..... air squats

Steven Low
07-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Tues: 6 + 3.5

Rest.

Steven Low
07-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Weds: 6 hrs

Alrighty. Getting back into it.

Going with hopefully skill work + 1 push, 1 pull, 1 posterior chain... 4-5x a week. Posterior chain may not make it that many if the knee can't handle though we'll see.

rings PPPUs: 3x8
DL: 160x5x2, 190x3, 220x3

Slide OACs were much tougher than last time (thus used more assist) because haven't done pull strenght in like a week or more. Rings PPPUs felt pretty good and tough.

DL was good today. The fact that I let my knee heal up for the past week or so definitely helped. I think I could've gone heavier without aggravating. Will keep an eye on it though.

Also, didn't get to it tonight but gonna work my handstand (progressing into OAHS) + manna as skill work (although manna is heavy triceps/back work.. so may have to put it at the end instead of beginning).

~ wrists = wrist pushups..... feeling good
~ R knee = massage, ice ..... feels good so far

Steven Low
07-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Thurs: 6 + 3.5 hrs

Rest.

Gonna hit the stuff hard tomorrow.

Steven Low
08-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Fri: 6 + 2.5

Yeah, I need to get my 8 hours. Coming up... after I finish studying (next week!).

manna: 5s 2x3
rings PPPUs: 2x8
DL: 160x5, 190x7

Just 2 sets of everything to keep things short. Slide OACs felt worse today (probably cause of the sleep + not eating enough).

Manna and PPPUs felt better than last time which is good (movement pattern relearning gains probably).

DLs felt ok... after 7 reps at 190 my knee was kinda feeling it so I cut short. Gonna keep progressing slowly.

~ R knee = massage, ice ..... will see

Steven Low
08-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Sat: 2 + 5

Rest..... lol.

Steven Low
08-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Sun: 7 + 2.5 + 2

REST.

Steven Low
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Mon: 6.5

Rest.

Last rest. Transitioning back into working out now. :)

On the upside, given the knee much needed time to strengthen so it feels the best it has been probably since I injured it Oct '07. Gonna hit up the DLs tonight.

Steven Low
08-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Tues: 7.5 +2

Getting better. Aiming for 8 hours tonight. YEAH!

Working back into things AGAIN. Slowly.

knee maltese leans: 2x5
manna: 5s 2x5
DL: 160x5, 190x5

OAC are about the same. Maybe a bit tougher on the latter reps. Sigh. These breaks killing my pulling strength consistency.

Maltese is hard as usually working back into it. Hopefully I will adapt back to it fast.

Manna is getting progressively better. DLs are as well although my lower back is aching a bit from bad sitting posture. DLs will help keep me on track hopefully.

~ R knee = massage, ice ..... doing well. Didn't ache during DLs! YES.
+shoulder stretching