PDA

View Full Version : steve's log (bw/gymnastics)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Steven Low
08-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Weds: 8 hrs

Excellent.. 'cept I woke up tired b/c I was REMing up to that point. Oh well.

slide OAC: 2x5
knee maltese leans: 2x5
manna: 5s 2x5

Slides felt a bit harder, but I am a bit sore. Same with the maltese leans.

Manna work is getting there.. boosting the hips up as high as possible to get used to the short contraction of triceps and posterier shoulder.

Back is a bit sore so giving it a break. + shoulder stretching

~ wrists = wrist pushups..... feeling good
~ R knee = massage, ice ..... 'lil bit sore from a lot of moving around today
~ L ankle = ..... it's fine but still have the lack of 10 deg at edge of ROM. Meh.

Steven Low
08-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Thurs: 8 hrs

9 holes of golf... went pretty bad. I had one par and a couple bogeys, but man I was all over with most of my shots today. Oh well.

~ wrists = ..... feeling good
~ R knee = massage, ice ..... some soreness. Expected with ~2 miles of walking up and down hills and awkward angles.
~ L ankle = .....

Steven Low
08-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Fri: 2.5 + 7 + .5

Lots of sleep.

Anyway, apparently I'm going to the beach with my family.

knee maltese leans: 4x5

Since I know I'll be eating fairly well... phillips + ribs tried to hit everything hard. Letting the knee recover from yesterday's work.

~ R knee = massage..... a bit of soreness. Should be back better than ever in a couple days. Now to get strengthening to eliminate the quad atrophy
~ L ankle = .....

Steven Low
08-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Sat: 2.5 nap + 5 + napping all day under an umbrella

Rest

Steven Low
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Sun: 5 + napping all day

Well, I did get out in the ocean and sun (who knew you could get sunburned when under an umbrella 90% of the time...).

Also, ate lots of ribs & seafood so it was good. :)

Back into things tomorrow.

Steven Low
08-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Mon: 6.5 + 1.5

assisted GHR: 2x4

OAC felt the strongest they've been in a while. I am pretty sure I can pull 3-3.5 on the left and 4 on the right if fresh. Still need a bit of work to go to get the 5 then 6 though. I may need to undulate the reps or volume some.

The leans were OK... elbows getting acclimated again.

Manna.. push feels OK, but I didn't continue stretching over the weekend, and tightened up some. So I did regress a bit. :\ +shoulder stretching

My lumbar posture is crappy thus giving me sore backs in the DLs so I'm gonna sub GHR for now while focusing on improving my posture. These are hard.

~ R knee = massage..... A bit sore from ocean wave hopping, hah.
~ L ankle = .....

Steven Low
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Tues: 6 + 2

Rest.

A bit odd to take a rest day because I'm not sore, but I was working on application stuff and just got caught up.

Blair Lowe
08-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Why not do stiff leg deadlifts from the hang instead of GHR. Lots of load, can focus on posture. Of course, they will put a hurt on you like GHR cannot ( unless you are doing the floor kind ).

Steven Low
08-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Hammies aren't that flexible anymore cause I don't stretch them.. haha.

Weds: 6.5

rings PPPUs w/ feet off at bottom: 2x10

Had to cut short tonight (bad time management). OAC I feel like I can hit 4-4.5 again. Maybe I'll do a test set here and there, but I don't wanna risk a massacre of my shoulders.

rings PPPUs I actually like the higher reps with these (8-12ish). My anterior delts are my weak link with pressing (probably why my planche lags behind my dips), and higher reps tend to hit it better. I'll stick with this for a few weeks and see how it turns out.

GHR getting easier... but still not really close to full strength. I can probably take it to where my body is about 30 degrees off the ground before collapsing.

~ wrists = ..... R a bit iffy again
~ R knee = massage..... did a bunch of squatting at work today, and it feels good! Progress!
~ L ankle = .....

Steven Low
08-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Thurs: 4 + 3

Meh.

Decided to take it light. Umm, may be able to pull 5 with R. probably 4-4.5 with L.

Full work tomorrow. Rest Sat.

~ wrists = .....
~ R knee = massage..... did a bunch of squatting at work today, and it feels good! Progress!
~ L ankle = .....

Steven Low
08-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Fri: 6 hrs

2x10 R leg lunges focusing on quad contraction
Shoulder stretching

Felt pretty tired today actually so a good finishing for rest tomorrow. OAC I tested first set free and got 4 each arm +1 assisted slide to finish set. Maybe more when fresh

Maltese work felt easier (yes!), but rings PPPUs afterwards the maltese felt harder.. go figure.

Manna is still being flexibility limited and GHR is getting there.

~ wrists = wrist pushups.....
~ R knee = ice..... bit sore after the work we'll see.
~ L ankle = .....

Steven Low
08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Sat: 4 + 2

Rest.

Going to get at least 7 hours tonight. Hopefully a nap after that too.

Steven Low
08-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Sun: 7 + 3.5 nap

Rest again. I'm feeling pretty overall tired.

Should get 8-9 hrs tonight and hopefully up for some more work tomorrow.

Seeing Usain Bolt break 100m WR makes me want to do some sprints too. :)

Steven Low
08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Mon: 8 + 2.5

rings PPPUs w/ feet off at bottom 1s: 2x10
sprints: 3x10m, 2x45m, 3x20m

OACs felt a bit harder than last time. We'll see where they take me the next couple times.

rings PPPUs felt much stronger. I may have to make them more difficult than they are.

Manna is getting there as long as I continue to improve shoulder flex.

Sprints! Working on the start mainly today regulating breath, initial arm/leg drive, keeping the body down and driving forward, etc. My starts are definitely getting consintent and improving though. Stopped when I felt the quality was going downhill.

I ended up doing the 45m by accident (wasn't thinking), but when I did I figured out how to relax my body during the sprints (second was for confirmation). There's a HUGEEEEEE difference I wasn't getting before now that I get and it feels more effortless which will hopefully translate to improved times. I feel like all my runs up until now except maybe that freak 5.87s 45m or whatever I put up were all when I was running tight. But I'm saving this for later after I work more short stuff.

Knee is holding up well, but I'm gonna ice anyway.

edit: looking at some of the analysis of 3 point start I've been using the wrong stance (left hand down instead of right hand down). So yeah. I'm gonna have to switch this up, haha.

~ wrists = wrist pushups.....
~ R knee = ice..... looks to be fine so far!
~ L ankle = ..... we'll see

Steven Low
08-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Tues: 9 + 1

slide OAC: 1x5
knee maltese leans: 1x5
rings PPPUs w/ feet off at bottom: 1x10
manna: 5s 1x3
assisted GHR: 1x5

Went with 1 set of everything since I'm a bit tired today and don't want to be up late. My core is definitely sore from the sprint work. Going to keep it fairly low volume-ish tomorrow.. probably 3 exercises then rest day (OAC, one push, sprints).

OAC felt a bit weaker today. I may reduce the volume a bit if I am going to back to 3/1/2/1. I need to set a schedule and stick to it.

Maltese was a bit weaker, but PPPUs a bit stronger. Manna.. needs work still. GHR was ok considering yesterday.

~ wrists = .....
~ R knee = ..... feels good
~ L ankle = ..... also feeling good

Steven Low
08-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Weds: 9 + 1

rings PPPUs w/ feet off at bottom: 1x11
manna: 5s 1x3
sprints: 7x20m, 1x45m

~Slide OACs felt about the same. Glad I'm taking a rest day tomorrow though.
~Knee maltese was a bit improved, but hard to tell progress
~added 1 rep to PPPUs with good form... progress
~manna is getting better... feeling better contractiosn at higher hips

~Retooling my sprint 3 point stance... focusing on everything except opposite. Ended up running a 6.49s for the last 1x45m which is much worse than the previous stance so MUCH improvement still needed. Plus, I was obviously fatigued but no excuse. :(

Top speed felt good (I can tell b/c I sweat a lot after if I hit top speed real well), but the start was probably very bad.

~ wrists = ..... bit sore
~ R knee = ice..... good so far
~ L ankle = ..... feels good as well!

I may just leave my L ankle alone for the time being. I am only missing about 10 degrees dorsi and plantar flexion, and it doesn't really bother me in sprinting or Parkour or anything. Just if I hit front squats or anything where the knee goes over the toe a lot... which I won't be doing a lot soon.

Steven Low
08-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Thurs: 6 + 2.5

Rest

Steven Low
08-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Fri: 6 + 1.5

Blah.

5x wall handstands 'til shake

rings PPPUs w/ feet off at bottom: 1x12
manna: 5s 2x3 + shoulder stretch
sprints: 4x20m, 2x30, 1x45m

Gonna start trying to get in handstand work everyday now. TRY. Felt pretty good today... I got some decent time off the wall + a bit of endurance work on the wall once I started getting fatigued.

OAC felt a bit weak. Probably still a bit fatigued. I may take off tomorrow as well.

Maltese felt a bit weaker too. PPPUs were better by a rep however with good form.

Manna is getting there... very slow. Still flexibility limited. Am shoulder stretching!

The sprints were mediocre. Had a few good starts, and a few poor ones. The 45m was a poor one and got 6.43s which is an improvement from last time, but still terrible from what I've done before. I need to get my start on vid in the near future.

~ wrists = ..... its been fine. sore here and there but nothing worrisome. Yet at least.
~ R knee = ice..... not sore at all after sprints. Icing anyway.

Steven Low
08-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Sat: 5 + 3

I was going to do my handstands + workout, but I tweaked my neck out alignment so I didn't want to aggravate it.

I think I got it fixed now so I should be able to workout today.

No sprints though.. I think the combo of sore neck + not being able to resist the axial rotation screwed me up there.

Steven Low
08-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Sun: 4 + 3

5x wall handstands 'til shake

L-sit to adv. tuck PL: 5s 2x3
rings PPPUs w/ feet off at bottom: 2x12
elevator descend as low as possible then up no assist: 2x3
manna: 5s 2x3
GHR: 3x5

Handstands are improving in time and stability. Cha ching. Probably close to a 30-60 seconds of solid work for all of them. Not great compared to what I can hold, but it's with MUCH improved form.

OAC felt about the same. I may just do them alternating days to give my body a bit of a break.

PL work didn't feel too bad today. Haven't done it in a while so I was expecting to fail out sooner, but I did OK. Straddle planche is still probably inconsistent if I tried it right now. PPPUs were MUCH improved form + 2 additional sets.

Doing some elevator work again. No assist I can get to about 110-120 or so elbow degrees and pull it back up approximately right now. Just gotta get that last 60... the hardest part.

Manna is coming along slowly with the shoulder stretching too. Feels much better.

GHR I finally was about to take about 1-2 reps per set down to the ground without collapsing. So I'm getting there... slowly, haha. Now I gotta progress to concentrics. :D

~ wrists = ..... good
~ R knee = massage..... good but tighter patellar tendon

Steven Low
08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Mon: 6+2

Definitely getting 7-8 tonight, even if I have to cut food intake.

5x wall handstands

inverted eccentric to hang: 10s 3x2
elevator to bottom + assisted conc.: 2x3
RTO dips (30-45 deg out): 1x20
GHR: 2x4
pistols: 2x10B

Wall HS -- averaging ~30-40s free + 10-15s until can't maintain form
Inv. Ecc -- great exercise for front lever, front lever still strong
Elevator -- very tough still :(
RTO dips -- near max, overall decent I suppose
manna -- a bit worse today.. still probably around 30 past vert
GHR -- bit worse than yesterdays.. almost to ground in most eccentrics
pistols -- L was full ROM, R was to box slightly below parallel; felt good no pain in R

~ wrists = ..... little achy
~ R knee = massage, ice..... will see how it feels with the pistols tomorrow

Steven Low
08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Mon: 7 + 3

Not bad.. a bit of restless sleep though.

Overall, rest day.

5x wall handstands -- tired but these felt much more solid today. Less wobbly during freestand.

HS wall runs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1okSA32sFWs): 3x50 (25 taps per shoulder)

My overhead shoulder stability is probably the weakest out of any of the planes I have besides maybe inverted pulling which I am trying to retool with the elevators. I need to work on improving it so I can work back into OAHS, and so that I have more endurance during my workouts, hah.

Plus, strong handstand work is excellent for all of the pushing isometrics like planche, maltese, etc. This stuff should help me in my attempts.

Going to keep trying to remember hitting up HS + HS stability everyday.

Goals in progress
~Improve shoulder ROM and stability
~manna

~rings full planche & maltese & elevator
~slide OAC up to 10

~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~improve 100m time to sub 11.5s

Long term goals
~2.5x BW DL
~weighted dips to 200 lbs / 1.5x bodyweight
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC + OA pullover, OA rope climb (?)
~Break 11s 100m & 50s 400m + vertical to 36", broad 10'
~butterfly cross, inverted cross, OAHS

Goals completed! (vids may not reflect completion date)
~Iron cross 06.12.08 & solidified at homeshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1NFYM13ew).
~2x bodyweight dip 07.03.11
~2x bodyweight deadlift 07.03.20
~one arm pullup 07.08.01 1x4 L (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOcSdwCIzc), 1x4 R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2ugvbnEMI)
~straddle planche 07.10.30 & solidified.
~front lever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtRV_DymdJk) 07.12.24
~2x bodyweight pullup 08.07.28

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28
+190 lbs dip 09.06.18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFM-umtLm4)
+70 lbs muscle up 08.12.04
30 MU for time 2:08 08.10.07

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
30" vertical leap 07.XX.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07
100m: 11.96 09.06.07
400m: 106:93 08.06.23
285 lbs DL (triple) 07.07.20

Steven Low
08-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Tues: 8 hrs

Pretty sore actually.. delts, upper lats, etc. Lats are very sore probably from the inv. eccentric ot hang. Thus, gonna be a shorter workout.

5x wall handstands
HS wall runs: 2x60 (30 taps per shoulder).

inverted eccentric to hang: 10s 2x2
rings adv. tuck PL: 10s, 8s, 8s
GHR: 2x5

Wall HS: better quality, but less endurance. Probably a bit overworked. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

HS wall runs: Increased by 10.... still taxing which shouldn't be the case!

Eccentrics were about the same as the day before. First one was a little bit stronger, but second was worse.. probably soreness kicking in.

PL work was near max holds. Need to improve this some more.

GHR was very good. I was able to control 4-5 of them to the ground without face planting. I hope soon I can do the concentric... but probably not, haha. Will take a little while of building up to that.

~ wrists = ..... good
~ R knee = massage..... hitting up something tomorrow.. maybe sprints/pistols/GHR

Steven Low
08-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Thurs: 7+ 2

3x wall handstands

rings adv. tuck PL: 15s, 13s
pistols: 2x15L, 2x7R

Wall HS -- bit shakier today. Probably need a break since I've been doing them 4-5 days straight + cond

slide OAC -- felt OK today. Not the strongest set, but I do feel a bit tired
rings PL -- energy is picking up a bit
rings PPPUs -- 10 reps instead of 12.. but PL work ahead of it probably was limiting. Felt solid besides last few reps
Elevator -- 1st rep is good, 2-3 reps are sucky right now
manna -- It's getting there.. can push my hips up farther than I have since Jan, but not quite to where I've been at.
GHR -- endurance is improving (over whole set) but a little less strength today = little bit of faceplant
pistols -- L felt good, R was 30 degrees below parallel. Will see how feels tomorrow.

~ wrists = ..... good
~ R knee = massage, ice..... will eval tomorrow

Steven Low
08-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Fri: 5 hrs

Peh.

support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x8
GHR: 2x4

Everything was slightly worse than yesterday (thus taking tomorrow off) except manna and rings support hollowback to shoulder stand. Those are MUCH better than rings PPPUs, and I'm gonna do those instead now.

Basically, (support hollow back to shoulder stand) is the first half of the (support straight-body-press-to-handstand)... except I'm eliminating the shoulder stand press to handstand. Tougher on the upper body than the PPPUs as well.

~ wrists = ..... good
~ R knee = massage, ice..... feels pretty good. Gonna ice later.

edit: currently 134 lbs

Steven Low
08-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Sat: 6 + 3

Rest!

Lots of eating. Up to 135 plus food for dinner + ice cream. So we'll see.

Definitely feel like I'm supercompensating. Hopefully some strength gains either tomorrow or Mon. We'll see how I feel about working out (probably at the very least with skill work).

Steven Low
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Sun: 3+3

Rest.

Don't feel like doing handstands today.

Steven Low
08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Mon: 7 + 2.5

support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x9
rings adv. tuck PL: 8s, 8s
manna: 5s 3x3
GHR: 3x3

slides -- felt good. Feel really close to 5 OAC.
hollowbacks -- +1 per set. Probably my favorite exercise... everything is worked,
planche -- not so great. hollowbacks took a lot out of me
manna -- can push hips consistently far now.. may be back to 45 past vert.
ghr -- decent, but not great.

Weights at 135 lbs when hungry. Putting on some mass it seems, heh heh. I can feel like I did at least.

~ wrists = ..... good
~ R knee = massage..... feels good so far

Steven Low
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Tues: 4.5 + 5

3x handstands

support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x10
RTO dip to tuck PL: 2x5
pistols: 2x15L, 3x15R

handstands: bit shakey today, but what can you expect from a couple days off.

slides -- felt ok today. little fatigued so quality was slightly less.
hollowbacks -- +1 per set. I eliminted negative for some, but am gonna put it back.
planche -- not bad.. not as good as they used to be though
manna -- feels easier so I hope this is a good sign
pistols -- L I went down to sitting and back up. R was slightly below parallel. Focusing on quad contraction (R glutes are working much more than L which is expected).

Tweaked my neck again while rotating it on OAC. :( I need to start doing some neck strengthening work as I am not doing any. Neck is unstable strength-wise compared to my shoulder girdle strength. Anyone know of any good neck exercises?

~ R knee = massage, ice..... a bit sore. we'll see tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Steve, are you looking for specific neck exercises or wrestler's bridge stuff?

Steven Low
09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Steve, are you looking for specific neck exercises or wrestler's bridge stuff?
Anything you think is effective to strengthening neck in all positions.

-------------------------

Weds: 7

slide OAC: 2x6
support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x10
RTO dips: 1x20
pistols: 2x15L, 3x20R

OAC -- 6th one was tough. Gonna be stepping it up now.
hollowbacks -- Did the eccentric back to support. Solid work today -- improvement.
dips -- 1 set of failure goodness. Tough. @10-30 degrees RTO
manna -- need to keep working shoulder flexibility. About the same as yesterday
pistols -- Max jumping with L, R is getting there (slightly below parallel again)

Skipped HS b/c even though my neck is back in order it's still sore. Don't wanna risk popping more stuff out of place.

~ R knee = massage, ice..... not bad today. did another workout

Derek Weaver
09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Neck training is tricky. I think wrestler's bridges are always a good start, and certainly aren't neck specific.

A quick search turned up this article: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson21.htm

As well as this from Jim Wendler: http://elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm

And this one from Dragondoor: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/254/

I think I like what Wendler and the DD article say the best. Although I don't have the same reservations with neck bridges Wendler seems to have.

Steven Low
09-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Neck training is tricky. I think wrestler's bridges are always a good start, and certainly aren't neck specific.

A quick search turned up this article: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson21.htm

As well as this from Jim Wendler: http://elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm

And this one from Dragondoor: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/254/

I think I like what Wendler and the DD article say the best. Although I don't have the same reservations with neck bridges Wendler seems to have.
Thanks. I'll check 'em out

------------

Thurs: 6 + 1

Rest.

Steven Low
09-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Fri: 6+3

slide OAC: 1x6

Wasn't feeling it today so terminated the workouts.

Steven Low
09-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Sat: 8 +2.5

I was gonna workout. But after the nap I just decided to not workout because of how tired I am feeling.

Skill work at the very least tomorrow. Will probably do at least 1 set of other stuff as well.

On the plus side, my knee is ready to go, and my neck is 100% feeling better. Now to just strengthen them more...

Steven Low
09-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Sun: 3+4

support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x11
pistols: L hops = 10,5; R = 5,10,10

Slides felt weaker as did manna. Hollowbacks were improved 1 rep though.

I am up to 136.5 lbs... whenever I hypertrophy I tend to get a bit weaker so hopefully it's just that and I actually didn't lose any strength.

Pistols coming along (starting from the ground)... working on hops w/ L (probably gonna go lower numbers and higher quality). R side this time was down to 3" above the ground so I can pretty much do full ones now! Haven't done any of these since 2 years ago. :)

~ R knee = massage, ice..... feels good so far. Eval tomorrow

Steven Low
09-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Mon: 7

slide OAC: every 45s on 45 1 slide OAC = 8 rounds
support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x12

slides I am going to do some volume work instead of just the 1-2 sets again. This felt good. Minimal assist through 5-6 rounds, but had to assist a bit in the last two.

Hollowbacks improving by a rep each time. This was VERY difficult.

Manna quality a bit less probably from triceps getting destroyed in the hollowbacks.

Resting knee.

~ R knee = massage, ice..... bit sore so resting

Steven Low
09-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Tues: 7 hrs

Lots of balance work (legs).

I was gonna workout, but I was tired so I didn't.

Also, ordered some 5000 IU vitamin D. So am gonna see if that works decently for me.

Steven Low
09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Weds: 11+1

Got to bed early again yesterday (like Mon). Really tired though even with eating a lot and such. Sleep overall hasn't been great; woke up 3 hours into the sleep. The room I'm in is really hot in the night though so that may have something to do with it. We'll see if it improves with a week of good rest (then with vitD -- since I don't get out much).

Early workout..

support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x12

Overall, a bit better than Monday's workout.. although still feeling fatigued. Hmm. May hit up some pistols tonight as well.

Steven Low
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Thurs: 9+3

Really just gonna rest it up for now. I guess I need a break as I haven't really had a nice planned one for a while.

I am going to continue to do some skill work though. I haven't the past few days, but I will get back to it tomorrow.

Steven Low
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Fri: 5.5+2.5

I lied, I didn't do any skill work.

Steven Low
09-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Sat: 6+2

Some handstand work.

May do a short workout tonight.

Steven Low
09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Sun: 6

Some handstand work.

Steven Low
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Mon: 8+2.5

Still feeling a bit washed out with a runny nose. Nice.. probably caught something from somewhere.

Gonna try to get a nap somewhere today, and hit up some HS+manna later.

Edit: nevermind I probably have a full blown fever. Argh.

Drinking lots of fluids and sleeping.

Steven Low
09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Tues: 12 hrs

Sleep was on and off which wasn't very good. Sweated out a lot of my fever during the night though.

Haven't been eating a lot but trying to force down food today.

edit: I got my vitD3 today yay. 5000 IU per capsule.

Not expecting anything big to happen but will welcome it if it does.

Hopefully I can get back to something light tomorrow. I feel like I can do stuff today, but I really don't want to waste any of my body's energy especially when I'm not eating a lot right now as is.

Blair Lowe
09-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Right now, I'm popping the fish oil and D3 quite a bit besides lots of fluids. Clear pee so it's all good of sorts. drink milk and yep there has been the sweating out the fever on occasion.

Steven Low
09-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Mon: 6.5 hrs

Wow, woke up feeling like a million bucks. On so little sleep too.

Only have the sniffles and a slight amount of congestion.

I still haven't lost any muscle mass from the past couple days which is nice of my body to afford me that. Usually when I got ill in the past I lost at least 3-5 lbs of weight, and my fevers would last 2-3 days. Probably due to some supercompensation... but the vitD3 seems to be working pretty well so far.

We'll see how it translate to physical performance when I can get back into it. If I can suddenly bust out 5-6 OAC, I will "sing vitD3 praises from the rooftops" (actual quote, hah). And give Garrett some major props (since I didn't listen to him earlier).

Going to be alternating days of 1 and 2 vitD 5000 IU pills and fish oil (also supplementing my left over ZMA) for now. Unless I need 10k IU constantly (which I probably don't).

R knee ice. That's been my only problem.. haven't been eating a lot so haven't been getting a lot of calcium for my bones. I suppose my osteoclasts are working overtime. :\

Steven Low
09-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Tues: 7.5 + 2

Feel overall pretty good. A bit of sniffles still though.

Well, I think I've beaten into my brain that I can't do OAC more than 3-4x a week. So I'm gonna stick with them 2x a week... probaby gonna go on an A/B schedule.

Going to couple OAC with hollow backs.. probably manna and some leg work. For the 2x a week A workout. Probably gonna alternate that with some planche/front lever work on the other days with sprint work there.

slide OAC: 1x6b
hollowback to shoulderstand: 1x10
manna leans: 5s 2x3

Slides were weaker, obviously. Hollowbacks had less endurance. Manna was actually halfway decent. At least something is still normal although I wasn't expecting it to be. Not gonna mess with my knee tonight.

But then again I have been off.

Probably gonna take tomorrow off as well. This was just a prelude to getting back into things.

edit: Gah, might've gotten gastroenteritis from the clinic. Having diarrhea... stomach not feeling too well either.

Probable flu then gastroenteritis. Unlucky. :( Hopefully I can sleep this off.

Meh, I want to get rid of this crappo. 20k IU vitD until I get purely unsick.

I was reading some of the old VitD threads, and I think there was one Garrett referenced about 2k IU per kg per 3 days. Well, I'm 136 lbs / 61.5 kg so that's like 122k IU / 3 = ~40k IU per day. So we'll go with half of that and see what happens.

Steven Low
09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Fri: 8 + 2

Rest.

Gonna hit up my handstand and leg work along with the usual tomorrow. Probably non-OAC sets.

Oddly, I am not that sore from yesterday even though it was low volume.

20k IU vitD today. I'm pretty much feeling 100%. A slight cough here and there maybe every couple hours which is nothing at all.

This stuff is like a miracle drug for those who are deficient.

Steven Low
09-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Sat: 5 + 4

inverted eccentric to hang: 1x15s,10s ; 1x10s,6s (1min between reps)
rings tuck planche: 1x25s,12s ; 1x20s,15s
20 pullups, 20 rings dips
manna work: 5s 2x2
seated explosive pistol: 3x5b

Bit of handstand work

Overall decent workout.

Ice for the knee.

Steven Low
09-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Sun: 5

slide OAC: 3x3
rings hollowback to shoulderstand: 2x10
sprints: 5x60m walk back, sprint again (just getting back in shape)

Steven Low
09-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Mon: 8+3

Rest!

Steven Low
09-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Tues: 6+2

inverted eccentric to hang: 1x10s straight, straddle (1 min rest)
rings adv. tuck PL: 8s, 8s

2 sets
straddle crank: 1x3
RTO dip to tuck PL: 1x5

seated explosive pistols: 4x5

Felt fairly light. A bit sore from Sun it seems so.. yeah. Ice for the knee.

Steven Low
09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Weds: 8.5

slide OAC: 2x4B

Light day.

Knee ice.

Derek Weaver
09-24-2009, 12:25 AM
How's the neck training going?

Steven Low
09-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Not. I haven't had anymore problems, so it's been dumped to the wayside. I'm gonna try to get something in tomorrow or tonight. Probably just arm resist work.

---------------------

Thurs: 7.5 + 1.5

assisted cross pulls: 2s 1x3
(went home)
straddle cranks: 2x4
rings hollowback to shoulderstand (RTO): 2x10

So feels like I can still hold a cross fairly easily. Spotter said I was probably ~15-20 lbs of pull strength from doing the pullout, so I got a bit of ways to go still. That's why the cross is a B skill and pullout is a C skill I guess, hah.

cranks were the strongest I've ever felt.

Hollowbacks were RTO the whole time which made them way harder.

Manna.. slowly getting there. I'm doing my shoulder stretches before I do them. I really need to focus on the abs compression now as that counter balance of the legs helps out significantly with pushing the hips up.

Knee is a bit achy today so I decided to rest again. Massage and ice.

edit: weight is up to 137-138 lbs now (I feel no fat gain; lats/biceps/triceps/chest/etc. have all gotten bigger). Not even really trying to mass gain, but I recognize that at my current strength level I need more mass if I want to complete any of the upper level strength moves. So it's a welcome addition. Optimally, I think I'd be best around 145-155 at my 5'8" height, but I don't know if I can eat that much especially since I'm allergic to something in milk.

Steven Low
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Fri: 6.5+3

Rest.

Past couple days I didn't take my ZMA with VitD, and felt more "tired" than usual. Last night I took it and felt better waking up (although the other more "tiredness" waking ups before VitD were worse than these recent ones).

I think I read somewhere that you're supposed to take VitD with Mg or something.. so that would make sense. Just a little weird observation.

Blair Lowe
09-26-2009, 05:29 AM
I generally pop one tablet of CalMagZinc with the VitD.

Roman Ryckman
09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Optimally, I think I'd be best around 145-155 at my 5'8" height, but I don't know if I can eat that much especially since I'm allergic to something in milk.
Hey Steve! Just thought I'd drop by and see how you were doing... good stuff! It seems your body responds very well to low volume high intensity strength work, which is cool!

Just wanted to give my two cents about eating enough food... I've been getting very serious about nutrition these past few months, and in terms of eating strategies I found from experience that you really don't have to eat a LOT in terms of quantity, but rather it's a question of choosing the right foods which have a higher caloric value! Specifically fatty foods are great for this since as you of course know fat has more calories in it than carbs, so for me, eating a lot of nuts (mainly peanuts) which are also very rich in protein, and also adding good quality oil to some foods really helps in terms of getting those extra calories/day (for example I use Omega-3 & vitamin enriched oil with my tuna fish/Salads). One tbspn of oil is about 90 KCals fyi... 100 grams of Peanuts have nearly ~580KCals in them and ~26 grams of protein. These are just some examples...

So yeah, hope that helps in some way! Good luck with reaching your goals :-)

Steven Low
09-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Hah, thanks. I'll keep it in mind

Sat: 5.5 + 1.5

Unplanned rest. Don't really feel like doing a workout on little sleep even though it would probably be decent.

Handstand work.

Gonna hit up the sprints tomorrow definitely.

Vitamin Doping is serious business. There's no way I'm hypertrophying this much with less calories than usual. I'll just ride this out and then see where my strength is. Generally, when I hypertrophy my neural efficiency drops so I'll have to wait a bit probably until I can see strength gains.

Goals in progress
~manna

~slide OAC up to 10

~floor GHR / BW HS curl

Long term goals
~2.5x BW DL

~Iron cross 06.12.08 & solidified at homeshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1NFYM13ew).
~one arm pullup 07.08.01 1x4 L (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOcSdwCIzc), 1x4 R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2ugvbnEMI)

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Roman Ryckman
09-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Btw, been meaning to ask... "VitD" is shot for Vitamin D, right?

Steven Low
09-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Btw, been meaning to ask... "VitD" is shot for Vitamin D, right?
Yep. If you're deficient you're missing out.

Plus, immunomodulation apparently staves off flu and other sickness extremely well.

Roman Ryckman
09-27-2009, 08:49 AM
So how many IU's of it do you take per day?

Steven Low
09-27-2009, 10:41 PM
So how many IU's of it do you take per day?
Right now I'm hitting up 10,000 IU per day for about 2-3 months as from the reading I've done it takes that long to bring up severely deficient levels up to normal (around 50-80 ng/mL -- conservative estimates at 35-55 ng/mL). 100 IU is supposed to bring up levels 1 ng/mL, so about 5,000 IU will maintain at 50 ng/mL which would be maintenance for me after that.

Sun: 5+1

maltese leans: 2x5

OAC -- feel like I can hit 3-3.5 L, and 3.5-4 R at the moment. We'll see how it turns out once the hypertrophy phase of vitD is over.

maltese -- getting back into this. I am stronger now on these, but I can't hold at the bottom all the way even with feet on the ground.. have to go to knees.

manna -- free manna push is up to about 45 past vertical or so. My assisted push I can probably hold almost 70 past vertical. The key on these once you get up past vertical I am finding out now is to really focusing on abdminal compression to help pus the hips forward. I'll try to grab a video soon perhaps.

knee -- lots of jumping on trampoline today. Bit stiff. Ice.
shoulders -- stretching as per usual

Steven Low
09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Mon: 8

lots of handstand work today

inverted eccentric to hang: 12s (1') 10s; 8s (1') 6s
RTO 45 deg dips: 2x8
manna leans: 5s 3x2
GHR: 3x6

Decent work today. Nothing ground breaking.

+ shoulder stretching, + knee ice

Aiming for sprints tomorrow.

Roman Ryckman
09-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Right now I'm hitting up 10,000 IU per day for about 2-3 months as from the reading I've done it takes that long to bring up severely deficient levels up to normal (around 50-80 ng/mL -- conservative estimates at 35-55 ng/mL). 100 IU is supposed to bring up levels 1 ng/mL, so about 5,000 IU will maintain at 50 ng/mL which would be maintenance for me after that.
Hmmm... that's very interesting as I've read here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/vitd.html) that:
"5000 IU is the established toxicity line, but usually it is recommended to not exceed 600 IU." and "400 IU is the needed dose, 600 is usually the maximum, but I advocate the use of an 800 IU's. I'll get into it in a bit. Megadosing is only used in medical treatment and only under medical supervision."
So since you've been taking up to 10,000 IUs for a while now with no ill effects, I'm guessing that is obviously not true!

Thus, can you please recommend some *good* articles for me on the topic? :D

Chris Salvato
09-29-2009, 07:18 AM
So since you've been taking up to 10,000 IUs for a while now with no ill effects, I'm guessing that is obviously not true!

Thus, can you please recommend some *good* articles for me on the topic? :D

If that statement were true at all it would be impossible to get unregulated tablets of 10,000 IU and there would be a warning on Vit. D labels...but there's not ;)

In 1999, Vieth indirectly asked the medical community to produce any evidence 10,000 units of vitamin D a day was toxic, saying "Throughout my preparation of this review, I was amazed at the lack of evidence supporting statements about the toxicity of moderate doses of vitamin D." He added: "If there is published evidence of toxicity in adults from an intake of 250 ug (10,000 IU) per day, and that is verified by the 25(OH)D concentration, I have yet to find it.

Roman Ryckman
09-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks Chris! Great link! :)

@Steve: nvm I guess I have what I needed, unless you have any other good links to add?

Steven Low
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Chris! Great link! :)

@Steve: nvm I guess I have what I needed, unless you have any other good links to add?
I actually just read most of the stuff on this forum posted by Garrett besides stuff on like wikipedia and some random googling. Most of the information is in these two threads:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3657
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3470

And the recent t-nation article is fairly good too:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/d_is_for_doping

VitaminDCouncil.org has tons of stuff too. Most of the links are from that.

Seems like the upper limit for toxicity is probably around 20,000 IU for months or something of that nature.

Oh yeah, I was digging and I found this study (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WBK-45B57K4-19&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1029042269&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=5b1bd2dc4720bbfd1acf910890fd1d92) on how VitD receptor (VDR) stimulates muscular tyrosine kinase cascade which is responsible for cell growth/proliferation.

Also, sourced wiki states:
The vitamin D receptor belongs to the nuclear receptor superfamily of steroid/thyroid hormone receptors, and VDRs are expressed by cells in most organs, including the brain, heart, skin, gonads, prostate, and breast. VDR activation in the intestine, bone, kidney, and parathyroid gland cells leads to the maintenance of calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood (with the assistance of parathyroid hormone and calcitonin) and to the maintenance of bone content.[20]

The VDR is known to be involved in cell proliferation and differentiation. Vitamin D also affects the immune system, and VDRs are expressed in several white blood cells, including monocytes and activated T and B cells.[13]

-----------------------------------

Tues: 6+1

slide OAC: 1x1, 3x3
sprints: 7x60m & walk + 30-60s rest between -- # strides xx, 29, 30, 28.7, 28.4, 28.2, 28

OAC -- felt good today but harder than Sun.. decided to do them again b/c of VitD.
manna -- weaker than yesterday
sprints -- # of strides to complete decreased as my focus on form improved. Not sure how my steps correlate to time or 100m time. There any calculators out there for this?

I honestly feel like I'm cheating with vitD. Up to 138 lbs.. still gaining mass without eating more. Feels like I'm taking steroids. Hope this continues for the probable 2-3 months until I am undeficient.

Knee ice, shoulder stretching

edit: something of note... my analysis on why thumbless grip bench press increases force production over non-thumbless. May benefit everyone's lifting.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpost.php?p=672043&postcount=39

Steven Low
09-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Weds: 8.5 hrs

Rest!

I may rest tomorrow as well depending on how I'm feeling. Probably going to hit up the handstands and maybe something else.

Knee ice.

Steven Low
10-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Thurs: 7.5+1

RTO hollowback to shlder: 1x11,10
manna leans: 5s, 1x1, 2x2
glute bridges: 60 lbs, 1x10,15
sprints: 6x60m, #strides = 30, 30, 29.5, 28, 29.2, 29.2

OAC -- strength about the same for now
RTOs -- a bit improved from last time (2x10) RTO
manna -- bit worse, probably from the work before
glutes -- excellent. Have weak L glute, and R erectors.. single leg bridges next
sprints -- 4th felt the best, but it still felt terrible in terms of form. Sigh. Working on form sucks since I'm so inconsistent.

R knee ice, shoulder stretching

Steven Low
10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Fri: 9.5

Handstands.

Set of glute bridges. Need to find some way to get in some more weight on these.

R knee ice

Blair Lowe
10-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Don't you have access to a bar. That article has the athlete put the bar on the hips.

For right now, I'm having the boys work single leg trying to start with the shin vertical. Typically the foot is higher than their shoulders are and we have some various body bars and small DB and ankle weights.

If no bar, perhaps a big dowel and hang off buckets on each end. This is how I made a rail in my garage to hang my rings off. Doesn't work for pullups though, I think.

Steven Low
10-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Sat: 6 hrs

Rest. Er, didn't plan on this but I'll roll with it.

Steven Low
10-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Sun: 8.5

slide OAC: 1x1, 2x4
maltese leans: 3x5
glute bridges: +105 lbs 2x20
manna leans: 5s 3x3

Knee ice, shoulder stretching

Steven Low
10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Mon: 7.5+3

Decide to revert my "non-heavy strength days" to more basic strength instead of just doing another tough routine. Making it higher rep, and staying short of failure. Kind of akin to heavy-light days.

Hopefully will get me back on track. :) I feel like I've been stuck in a limbo of progress since I did the weighted dips in early June even though I've hypertrophied some.

Sunday dehydrated and without food in stomach I weighed 136 lbs solid.

ice cream makers: 10
rings PPPUs: 13
pullups: 10
dips: 20
yewkis: 8
rings flies: 10 (surprisingly easy)

glute bridges: 60 lbs 1x50 explosive

Steven Low
10-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Tues: 4-5 terrible hours, 1.5 nap

I was gonna do handstands, but didn't get around to it.

Steven Low
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Weds: 7.5

Chairs handstand press to 5s holds ALL consecutive -- 5R, 5L, 5R, 5 middle. I missed the last one for the middle. So it ended up being about 140s or so of handstand work in a row. It was tough.

maltese knee leans + straight press out: 5x5
manna: 5s 4x2

Broad jumps, jogging, steps work for knee. Ice for knee.

Stretching for shoulders.

Maltese work.. is a blower. It really deserves its own workout altogether. Manna is a good pairing because it hits triceps and posterior shoulders well. Another good pairing would be some victorian work... but yeah, I'm not up for that yet.

Gonna take a little break from OAC work for now I suppose. I feel like the past two days blasted me a bit again.

Gymnastics world champs on Oct 15th - 18th live on the internet:
http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2009/10/universal-sports-gymnastics-world-championships-online/

Rasmus Thomsen
10-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Cool thanks for the link!
Good work aswell following here regularily and its always an exciting log to read.

Razz from GB

Steven Low
10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Thurs: 7.5 + 1

Gonna cut my D to 5,000 IU tomorrow. It's been about a month so I should be un-deficient now.

maltese knee leans + straight press out: 3x5
rings flies: 3x10

Felt fairly good today on all of them. Flies were MUCH harder after maltese work than in the more conditioning-ish workout I did a couple days ago. Figures.

Manna is coming. I think I'm close to 60-70 degrees past vertical now. Limiting fact is shoulder flexibility combined with triceps pushing my hips forward.

GHRs were much weaker than they have been though. Probably cause of lack of specificity.

Shoulder stretching, knee ice

My aim with the knee is to try to stay away from too much impact until swelling is pretty much permanently down. The swelling is almost down which is good (but still gets sore after some work). I've noticed that my tibial tuberosity calcification is getting much closer to my patella which is gonna give my quads more fits so... I gotta just keep the inflammation down as much as possible to avoid some compression issues there in the future. For now, no sprinting, no full ROM work like pistols. I'm gonna have to stick with stuff like the glute thrusters, targetted hamstring work, and slow walking down stairs and such

Steven Low
10-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Fri: 7.5

Was gonna do some handstand work.

Ended up getting caught up writing Vitamin D article. At least I finished it after about 5-6 hrs of writing.

Probably will post over in one of the VitD threads in supplements forum as well as things tend to get lost in logs.

I have some interesting analysis in the 4th section which many of you will find... particularly interesting most likely. Am running it by Lyle McDonald and Robb Wolf for some confirmation hopefully.

Enjoy:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/

Oh yeah, I am going to continue to take 10,000 IU for another 2-4 weeks or so. I reread the other post, and the guy started with ~21 ng/mL and was up to 58 ng/mL by 5 weeks. So I probably have a bit ways to go if I was <10 ng/mL.

Steven Low
10-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Sat: 2 + 2

Was up late writing the above article so I didn't get much sleep.

Gonna rest again and recuperate.

Definite workout tomorrow.

edit: scratch that I did some handstands.

Blair Lowe
10-11-2009, 05:59 PM
How about partial ROM pistols and lunges for quad/ham work?

Steven Low
10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Gonna just pass for now.

--------------------------------------

Sun: 4.5

Ew.

rings flies: 1x10, 10 lbs 1x8, 20 lbs, 2x5

Similar workout than Fri albeit with improvements in all of the areas. Maltese, flies, GHR all felt improved.

Manna I'm probably going to approach it backwards by elevating my hips/legs up to proper height on a couch, then "leaning back" and trying to self support. Theoretically, I should be able to get it this way with some positive work as well. :)

R knee ice, shoulder stretching

Steven Low
10-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Mon: 8.5

OAC: 1x1, 3x2b

Otherwise, rest.

Steven Low
10-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Tues: 7+2

rings flies: 20 lbs 3x6

Shoulder stretching.

Improvement all across the board. Everything is getting easier... might also be because of my body starting to learn the skills as well. Whatever.. I'll take it.

jogging, negative steps for R knee. Ice.

Up to 139 lbs. Still hypertrophying it seems.

Steven Low
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Weds: 8.5

Rest.

Steven Low
10-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Thurs: 6.5 + 3

maltese knee leans + straight press out: 5x5
manna: 5s 5x2

Maltese I can finally push out from my knees. Sometimes. Haha... maybe full body leans and press outs now.

Manna is chugging along.. I'll try to get you guys a vid once I take my next cycle break. Then I'll see what weaknesses I have to work on.

My cycle will continue pretty much until I stall out with maltese work gains. I'm just gonna keep going if I keep getting stronger which the Vitamin D is helping immensely with.

Walked/jogged a bunch today, so just taking it easy on the knee. Plus, banged it once. That sucked.

Steven Low
10-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Fri: 7.5 + 2.5

maltese full leans + press out: 5x5

Short again. Continuing to develop.

Sat awkward on the knee today so icing. :\

Will be heading out to the mid-atlantic hopper tomorrow as a volunteer. So should be exciting. :)

Steven Low
10-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Sat: 5

Helped out at mid-atlantic hopper. Good times.. got to meet a bunch of people haven't met in a while. :)

manna: 5s 6x2

maltese -- bit worse than yesterday. Rest tomorrow.
manna -- assisted pushing hips up higher. Much harder.. sigh.

Ice for knee. Used it a lot helping to load weights and walk around and such today.

Will be able to check my weight tomorrow so we'll see if I hath broken the 140 mark. Maybe.. maybe not. I haven't eaten as much in the past couple days.

Steven Low
10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Sun: 6.5 + 1

Rest

Measurements:
40.5-27.5-35

Previous (spring/summer)
39-27-34

Haha, just for fun. :)

137 lbs weighed today dehydrated and without food. I have this weird thing with fluctuating a lot of weight now which is pretty odd... probably all water weight from eating then getting dehydrated.

I have little doubt I will break 140 lbs sometime in the next couple weeks and stay there though. I'm looking to get up to about 145-150 if possible, but that may take a year or more of continuous growth to do that. We'll see. Enough to get maltese, planche, and inverted cross would be sick. :p

Steven Low
10-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Mon: 8.5

Bit weak today on maltese, but not as compared to the other session.

Manna working on the full hips up position with the couch boost again.

Step work with knee + ice. I may do a bit of fasting running (not full speed) a day or two from now and see how it turns out.

I may rest again tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling. Hoping for 9 hours of sleep tonight. Huge bags under my eyes means I'm extremely sleep deprived from the weekend of little sleep.

Steven Low
10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Tues: 7 + 2

Handstand work + cast wall walks

Shoulder mobility, leg stretching.

Jogging + steps for knee. Ice.

Feel much better energy-wise. I warmed up today to see if I could go workout, but felt too fatigued so just kept it easy today.

Steven Low
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Weds: 9

Iron cross: 3s

Tested at the request of one of the guys. It's still solid and comfortable. Could hold probably ~10s or so if I wanted.

Straddle and pike compression work + hamstring/pancake flexibility.

rings hollowback press HS: 5x
RTO dips (all the way turned out + held rings 20 deg from body): 2x6
front lever pulls to inverted: 2x6

Hollowbacks were triceps limited. Haven't done the HSPU for a while so I got roasted on those.

RTO dips felt pretty good. A bit wobbly but I tried to lean them forward as much as possible as well.

Front lever pulls were very slow. 0 momentum, perfectly straight body, about 1s up and 1s down. Very intense.

Fairly happy with the workouts today especially because they were on regular length straps.

Steps + jogging for knee. Ice. I gotta keep remembering to eat lots of food with calcium with my Vitamin D.

Also, I'm dropping down to 5,000 IU tomorrow.

Steven Low
10-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Thurs: 8

maltese -- best it's ever been. Not saying much though, hah
manna -- working with the open shoulders right now

Bit of jogging. Ice for the knee. Gonna hit up the sprints tomorrow or Sat.

Down to 5,000 IU.

I think I may start trying to take a calcium supplement with the D. I can't get enough in my diet without dairy.. and dairy makes bad things happen. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Steven Low
10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Fri: 9

Rest!

I might do some handstand work later, but I wouldn't count on it.

Steven Low
10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Sat: 5+4

Gah, couldn't fall asleep last night so I had to take a massively long nap. After chinese buffet of course.

Handstand work, scapular mobility, and shoulder stretching.

Knee feeling pretty good so... probably some work tomorrow outside. If it's not raining and abysmal like today was.

Steven Low
10-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Sun: 5+1

Well, chinese buffet isn't exactly good for the complexion so I'm gonna have to avoid that from now on. Poor sleep. Aiming for 9-10 hrs tonight.

Wanted to workout, but didn't want to do it exhausted. Decided to do short circuit:

10 rings HeSPUs
10 yewkis
15 CTB pullups
15 dips
15 rows
15 rings pushups

Man, I'm gassed. So outta shape, haha.

Did a fair amount of moving around today with knee so am icing just in case. We'll see about work tomorrow. I might just integrate this as a recovery week instead.

edit: Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stick with glute activation work, handstands, and shoulder mobility stuff for a week. My endurance still hasn't been the same since that burnout in february.

Steven Low
10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Mon: 8 hrs

Ended up "active" resting.

5-6 swing to handstands
10 circles
1 inverted rope climb
couple leg raises, including 1 armers

Dream machine:
some crosses with weight, nothing heavy
cross push to inverted cross
planche to maltese to planche
malteses

Fun stuff but nothing really too difficult.

Knee ice.

Aiming for glute, handstand, and shoulder flex/mobility tomorrow.

Steven Low
10-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Tues: 6+1

Handstand form

rings maltese leans 1/2 lay: 3 sets 3 attempts ~2-3s each
manna: ~3-4 sets of 1-2 press to as far as possible
glute: activation work with bridges, elevated shoulder bridges with and w/o 60 lbs

Shoulder stretching, bit of jogging, knee ice.

Light day. Just starting to feel out maltese on rings again balancing. HARD. I need to get back to this and mix it up with the pushouts as well.

It's recovery so I kept everything fairly low intensity I hope.

Goals in progress
~manna

~Improve knee

Long term goals
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Steven Low
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Weds: 9

Worst 9 hours of sleep I ever got. Not sure why either.. went to bed around 12-1 AMish with time to sleep in. No stress. Tired going to sleep. Just never got into a deep sleep. Ugh.

Got to play around on rings more today.

Worked on: sequence of dislocate, shoot to support, straight body backwards felge to support, front swing, straight body front felge to support, hollowback press to handstand.

Looks pretty sick I think. I may have to get a video of it although the forward swing isn't allowed in a real routine. :P

~dream machine worked a lot of cross pulls to maltese

And oh yes, I can still do a english (single rail) straddle-L press to handstand. It's a pretty sick move I need to get it on vid.

Jogging and landings on the knee today. Feels pretty good. Ice.

Kevin Perry
10-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Watched that vid of your muscle up on the pullup bar, crazy cool stuff

Steven Low
10-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Watched that vid of your muscle up on the pullup bar, crazy cool stuff
Hah, thanks.

----------------------

Thurs: 8+2

Rest!

Knee ice + stretching mostly.

Steven Low
10-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Fri: 7+2

Rest again.

Shoulder / hip stretching.

May do a bit of handstand work as well. Not counting on it though.

Steven Low
10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Sat: 5.5+2

maltese full leans + press out: 3x5
manna: 2x (1 press to manna, 1 assisted lift)
1 full crank
1 solid rings PPPUs
Hip and shoulder flexibility/mobility
Handstand work

Light work. Maltese was the strongest I've felt so this rest has been good. Probably gonna keep it light and do more skill work for another couple days.

Still can hold the manna with hip assisted push up, but I need to work on pressing into it again.

Rasmus Thomsen
11-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Good work and strength:eek:

Is it possible to see a video of your assisted manna push up + hold?

/Razz

Steven Low
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Good work and strength:eek:

Is it possible to see a video of your assisted manna push up + hold?

/Razz
Soon. :p The assisted hold is to about 70 past vertical I believe. Now if I could just press into it..

----------------------

Sun: 6+1

Flexibility work mostly.

3-4 rounds of hollow holds.

Rest.

Steven Low
11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Mon: 8+2

The 8 wasn't particular good so I took a nap.

Rest.

Gonna do some skill work tomorrow of some sort.

Steven Low
11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Tues: 6.5+1

4 rounds of hollow holds. With the guys I'm coaching. They need it way more than I do, but I need it a bit as well.

~30s long rings support hold. Maybe I should work these again... shaky a bunch. :)

maltese full leans + press out: 4x5
manna: 5 press attempts, 4 high holds

Maltese was about the same besides one set where I felt MUCH stronger than anything I've ever felt before.

Manna.. I've been doing too many high holds. I need to focus on my pressing attempts now. Going to focus on both.. probably more on pressing now actually.

I can high hold 70-80 degrees past vertical. It looks like I can only press 45-50 past vertical at the moment which I recorded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bubIS-oVB28

Fast running on the knee. At least 600-800m fairly fast pace + some landings. Ice.

Icing my R AC joint as well as it twinged a bit.

Fairly light day overall. We'll see how I respond by tomorrow.

Rasmus Thomsen
11-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Congratulations on the manna progress! that's pretty insane

Steven Low
11-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Weds: 7

Finished article today -- The truth about lactic acid.

Debunking the myths surrounding lactic acid: delayed onset muscle soreness, cramping, muscular acidosis, fatigue, as a fuel and in exercise.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/the-truth-about-lactic-acid/

Anyway, did a bunch of uneven bars work as well as playing around on pbars. Just a fun day.

AC joint moving around a lot.. sucks. Might have to do more specific shoulder stabilization work.

Knee feels a bit sore today. Did a bit more jogging on it. Ice.

Steven Low
11-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Thurs 8:

Probably just stretching and the like.

I'm gonna be up in Philly for the weekend.

Visited CF Center City with Greg Privitera.

Steven Low
11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Fri: 10

Actually, not very good sleep at all... slept on a futon.

Rest.

Visited CF Center City again.. this time with Erin Davidson and crew.

Steven Low
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Sat: 8 hrs

Better sleep.

Hit up CF Tribe - Steve Liberati, Erin, Pat, etc.

Steve Liberati
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey man, thanks for coming by this weekend, hanging out and fixing a few of us.

Great meeting you in person.

Steven Low
11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey man, thanks for coming by this weekend, hanging out and fixing a few of us.

Great meeting you in person.

Yeah, dude, was fun. I'll try to make it out again sometime in the future.

------------------------

Sun: 6.5

Feel pretty good.

Past few days I've just been resting pretty much. But I have been doing a lot of body work (massage) for people, so good practice for me and fixes them up. Keeps my muscles from atrophying too.

I like how CF Tribe & Center City incoporate tons of mobility work into their warmups. Definitely a plus more affiliates could follow. Tissue quality of the posterior delts and infraspinatus was good.

Could probably use some more rhomboids, upper/mid trap and anterior delt work there. And definitely biceps too. Well, while we're at it probably some tennis ball to the gluteus medius, and same thing to the quads/IT band/calves. Hammies depends upon the person.

If you're reading this Steve. :p

Anyway, probably gonna do a little something tomorrow.. probably my regular warmup and maybe some handstands.

Steve Liberati
11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Made some notes. Thanks.

Steven Low
11-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Mon: 8+3

Rested.. again.

Steven Low
11-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Tues: 5.5

Rest.

Definitely going to do a little bit of work tomorrow. Haha.

Steven Low
11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Weds: 11 hrs

Just stretching and foam rolling trying to loosen up any tight muscles. That counts as my work.

Unfortunately, I do not think I am recovered yet from my drained adrenals. Ugh.

Steven Low
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Thurs: 8

Stretching + siblings feet stepping on my back massage. Awesome.

Steven Low
11-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Fri: 9

Rest. Did a little bit of stretching too.

Steven Low
11-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Sat: 6+3

Pretty good soft tissue work.

10 belly button pullups, 10 dips

Steven Low
11-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Sun: 6

Pretty good soft tissue work.

10 belly button pullups, 10 dips

Okay, I've taken off like ~2 weeks now.. I'm gonna rest another week with upped Vitamin D because it helps me sleep better. Then hopefully on Sat or so I will start working out again, and see how my body responds.

I generally feel like I'm not fully recovered from my super stressed out condition I was in yet. :\

Steven Low
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Rest. Again.

Steven Low
11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Tues: 6

Stretching and mobility work

~1200m of jogging. Knee handled well.

Steven Low
11-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Weds: 8+2

Worked on maintaining proper posture.

Steven Low
11-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Thurs: 7+1

Stretching

Aiming to hit a light workout Sat.

Steven Low
11-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Fri: 6

Finished up my new article on "shoes, sitting, and lower body dysfunctions." Just have to do some HTML formatting now.

5 part series... going to be posted starting Sunday and ending on Thanksgiving Thursday.

It's very detailed so put on your reading hats. 37 pages total in Word.

Focused today on scapular mobility and some shoulder stretching. Maintaining proper posture was also emphasized. Getting better with it again.

Probably gonna be something light tomorrow. Hopefully 7 hours of sleep tonight.

Steven Low
11-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Sat: 6

Shoes, Sitting, and Lower Body Dysfunctions. Part 1 of 5.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

I suppose I'll also make a post in the injuries forum, since I guess not many people read my log?

----------

OAC slides: 2x3
RTO PPPUs: 2x10

Lots of moving around on the knee. Feels good.

Light work. Maybe DL tomorrow or Mon.

Steven Low
11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Sun: 5

Played around on rings some.

MUs, handstands, getting used to stabilization work again basically.

-------------

Part 2 of 5 is now up:

In this post we discuss the systemic biomechanical issues that arise from part 1.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/2/

If you haven't read part 1:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

Derek Weaver
11-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Sat: 6

Shoes, Sitting, and Lower Body Dysfunctions. Part 1 of 5.

I suppose I'll also make a post in the injuries forum, since I guess not many people read my log?

----------

OAC slides: 2x3
RTO PPPUs: 2x10

Lots of moving around on the knee. Feels good.

Light work. Maybe DL tomorrow or Mon.

I think we all read your log. I just know next to nothing about gymnastics and bodyweight stuff that you do and keep to being an observer.

I think your article series is off to a good start based on Part 1. I'll check part 2 out later this week.

Steven Low
11-24-2009, 04:15 AM

Part 3: Evaluation of lower body dysfunction and corrections

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/3/

--------------

Actually decided to rest today because my stress levels are through the roof with the lack of sleep overall. This is sucking.

And no, it's not cause of the article.

Steven Low
11-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Tues: 5 (worst sleep ever) +1.5

cross: 2x 2x3-4s

Worse than usual. Probably cause of the sleep. Also did some random muscle up and pullup work

Jogging for the knee. Feels good. May do something tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling would LIKE to hit up the DLs.

------------------

Part 4: Soft tissue optimization and corrections

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/4/

Like I said in the other threads... anyone interesting in a shoulder series? I know there's a lot of resources out there already like Neanderthal no more and such though so I don't know how well it's needed. But yeah.. shrug. Up to the interest it garners.

Kevin Perry
11-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Well considering all the shoulder issues I'm having as of late I'm certainly not opposed to one.

Rasmus Thomsen
11-25-2009, 02:11 AM
I would be very happy for a shoulder series, trying to gain as much knowledge on healthy shoulders as possible atm

Steven Low
11-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Weds: 8

Sibling-step-on-my-back massage. I am definitely sore from those crosses, lol.

Okay, seriously I am going to get some deadlifts in. I have been doing glute activation work pretty much all the time if I'm standing around doing nothing. Knee SHOULD handle well. We'll see.

--------------------------

Part 5: Summing it up

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/5/

Yeah, I think I may do a shoulder series although I may postpone it for a few articles since I don't want to write another monster so soon... it's pretty draining.

Steven Low
11-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Thurs: 9 +1

Just relaxing and eating yesterday.

On another note, I am going to do some deadlifts today (Friday); knee feels really good.

I am also going to be switching from ZMA to a cal-mag-zinc (http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc-with-L-Glutamic-Acid-250-Tablets/1625?at=0) supplement. Much cheaper, plus I need the calcium instead of drinking a lot of orange juice which is annoying me.

I do know that Ca/Mg/Zn are probably competitive inhibitors for absorption (since all are 2+ cations), so I'm gonna spread out the take during the day. We'll see how this works out.

Also, was planning to get more Vitamin D but they're OUT OF STOCK of the one I recommended (http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/). That blows... guess I'll just have to wait to order. On the upside, at least people are taking the article seriously.

I am still taking 10,000 IU/day split up with morning meal and evening meal. Seems to work better for me that both at night (although I haven't recompared to post workout again yet). I take it with almonds b/c it absorbs better with fat.

I have my thing of colostrum sitting right here next to me, but I haven't been able to string together another cycle yet to start taking it and test its effectiveness. Argh!

Blair Lowe
11-27-2009, 05:46 PM
colustrum? nice. how expensive was it? i'm nearly out of VitD so I've been doing just 1 5k until I can buy some more.

Steven Low
11-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Fri: 7+1

DLs: 2x25 110 lbs

Felt really good on the knee... no twinges or anything. Going to build up slowly.. probably stay around 10-15 reps from now on.

My recovery has still been fairly crappy and I hate not training. What I have been doing at the PT clinic is using their small DBs and doing very high rep extensor work. Actually brought up my grip strength about 20 lbs or because my forearms had the strength but didn't let me expess it because of imbalance.

Since compounds are apparently too taxing ATM, I may try to hit up my weaknesses with some isolation work I guess. My strong points have always been my lats and triceps (hence super heavy dips). But I am fairly weak biceps, anterior delts, posterior delts, and possible a bit of chest.

Probably gonna hit up some front raises and prone I's. Maybe some curls, har har.

I'll see how my recovery is tomorrow after these DLs.

Goals in progress
RECOVER.

~manna

~Improve knee

Long term goals
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Steven Low
11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Sat: 7+3

front raises & I's: 5x10 15 lbs

shoulder stretching

Sore from the DLs... lol.

Steven Low
11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Sun: 5+3+1

Worst day ever.

Shoulder stretching.

What I am learning is that naps never work for me getting good quality sleep. Been thinking about this for a while now. Going to attempt to go to bed early, then if I wake up I'll take my nap there and wake up a bit later. I can't get to sleep reliably if I nap within ~8 hrs of having to sleep again.

In other news, going to keep it low intensity with stretching and mobility work and try to sleep off everything else..... again. Probably just screwed myself with the whole last week.

Steven Low
12-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Mon: 9

So it begins. Probably going to continue with the shoulder stretching, and mobility drills with stuff like QM.

Some stretching.

Steven Low
12-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Tues: 8+1.5

Shoulder stretching, focusing on good posture.

Steven Low
12-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Weds: 8

Rest.

Garrett Smith
12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I suck at naps too, LOL. If I even fall asleep, that is.

Steven Low
12-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Thurs: 10 hrs

Stretching

Steven Low
12-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Fri: 10 hrs

Revelation time in my head. They always come this way.

Okay, now I'm going to going into hardcore regulation of what I eat. I think I've been unknowingly eating like 60-70% carbs which is SEVERELY hindering my recovery. The reason I say this is because I have been over carbed before, and that was back in '07 when my recovery when to the crapper after workouts.

Unfortunately, being in an asian household right now I'm eating rice everyday... plus veges, fruits. Sparse amounts of protein and virtually no fats. Yes, I'm killing myself on this with inflammation and destroying my recovery.

Going to start eating at least 6 eggs a day, stock up on the butters and nut butters, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados (though I don't like the taste but I will force myself to), etc. Cut severely down on the rice.

Damnit. I think this is what is jacking up my sleep too... rather it's poor quality overall even though I'm getting massive amounts.

And I'm getting very little tonight damnit since I can't fall asleep.

$#%^$^

Oh yes, and my mom is a nurse and dad is a doc. So they believe in the conventional food pyramid so I'm going to get crap about this. Lots of it. "You shouldn't eat more than 2 eggs A WEEK" and "You need more carbs for energy" etc. This is gonna be EPIC!!

edit: Oh yeah, since my training is high intensity that's what was keeping my carbs in check. But now that I'm not training... they're killing my recovery instead.

Rasmus Thomsen
12-06-2009, 07:57 AM
If you're out of vitamin D, bodybuilding.com has 120 pills of 5kIU for 8$ in stock:) looking forward to seeing workouts again and good luck with the food fight:p

Kevin Perry
12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
well that sucks

Steven Low
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Sat: 3

Definitely not out of D guys. Just wanna stock up and give some as christmas presents. :p

Yeah, this was a terrible day. I feel and probably looked like I aged 10 years.

Steven Low
12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Sun: 12 hrs on and off

So far so good.

Sweet potatoes + butter + cinnamon = amazing

Steven Low
12-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Mon: couple naps + 9 hrs (~7 consecutive, 2 resleep)

Starting to feel better.

Been trying to cram down as much fat and less carbs as possble. Avoiding rice like the plague although I had some yesterday.. just looking to fruits/veges/sweet potatoes for limited amounts of carbs and I'm trying to limit these as much as I can as well.

Steven Low
12-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Tues: 5.5+1.5

This is was not so good.

Steven Low
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Weds: 8 hrs

Steven Low
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Thurs: 6 hrs

Going to get at least 9 hrs tonight.

Steven Low
12-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Fri: 9+1.5

Oh so good sleep. Feel much better.

Aiming for 8 tonight.

Steven Low
12-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Sat: 5+1.5

Couldn't fall asleep argh.

Steven Low
12-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Sun: 8.5 + 1.5

Feel better.

Aiming for 9 tonight

Steven Low
12-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Mon: 8.5 but got to bed late.

Going to aim for another >8 again.

Steven Low
12-16-2009, 06:09 AM
Tues:3+3 woke up in the middle :\

Steven Low
12-16-2009, 06:09 AM
Weds: 13

I guess waking up isn't good.

Blair Lowe
12-16-2009, 07:26 PM
So I see you are sleeping instead of WOD's. Funny, I just told that to my friend a few weeks ago who suffered from a stint of overtraining ( same WOD in one day 2x on his usual lack of sleep ).

Steven Low
12-17-2009, 06:51 PM
So I see you are sleeping instead of WOD's. Funny, I just told that to my friend a few weeks ago who suffered from a stint of overtraining ( same WOD in one day 2x on his usual lack of sleep ).
Yeah, it sucks.

----------------

Thurs: 6.5+3

Chris H Laing
12-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Hah, maybe the title should be steve's log (rest/sleep)

Steven Low
12-19-2009, 08:03 AM
For now. -_-

Fri: 7 +1.5

Getting better slowly...

Steven Low
12-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Sat: 8 hrs

Shoveling snow... hope I didn't overdo it with exertion...

Steven Low
12-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Sun: 8 hrs

More snow shoveling. I don't know if this is too much or not. I hope not.

Steven Low
12-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Mon: 8

Feeling a bit worse. May have overdid it. :\

Steven Low
12-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Tues: 6 ugh

Steven Low
12-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Weds: 10.5+1

Made up for yesterday but still feeling a bit fatigued. :\

Nick Hunter
12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey Steven,

I'm due for another operation on the 5th of January. Something I wanted to run by you though, is this:

I have noticed during therapy that whenever I do hamstring curls in therapy I do not have knee pain. These are done relatively heavy (10RM) for multiple sets with just the injured leg, are through a FULL ROM, and produce no pain. If there is structural damage causing this pain how could it not present during this full ROM exercise? You've been helpful so far. Thought I'd throw that at you.

Steven Low
12-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Thurs: 7.5

Steven Low
12-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Fri: 8.5

I feel like I'm starting all over again because of that shoveling. DAMNIT.

Chris H Laing
12-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Steven, I'm beginning to get worried. Why exactly haven't you been training? I miss seeing your log full of FSHSPUs and OACs.

Steven Low
01-02-2010, 12:08 PM
12/25/09-1/2/09

Lots of rest.

Just my luck though. Right when I'm starting to come out of the adrenal fatigue pit again (I can tell via my motivation to want to write articles), I get sick from my brother who's been coughing up a storm.

Sigh. Thankfully, I did get some work done though, and starting to work on another...

Oh well, gonna up the vitamin D and try to sleep this thing off...

Steven Low
01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
1/3-1/14/09

Resty. Been a bit spotty.

OK so....

New years resolution is to get to sleep every day by at least 12. Aiming for 10 though.

My appetite is severely hindering my total recovery which is problematic because I need to workout to eat more (like really stuff myself), so I'm gonna add back in exercise slowly.

10 abs pullups/10 dips yesterday.

Rest today. Basically, only way I'm gonna get back to 100% is to eat my heart out, and be disciplined with my sleep schedule. It's gonna be hard for me :(

Steven Low
01-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Slept at ~11:45 for 10 hrs

Gotta keep myself honest when I go to sleep. So I'm gonna post it up.

DL: 1x10 110 lbs, 1x5 160 lbs

Taking it light. I don't really feel like being sore.

Am going to work into DL, pullups, dips moving up slightly in volume probably 2-3x a week for now.

APpetite starting to come back.

Steven Low
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
1/16 -- 11:45 for 8.15 hrs
1/17 -- 12:00 for 7.5 hrs
1/18 -- 11:15 for 9 hrs
1/19 -- 11:15 for 7.5 hrs

Going to do some work today. Probably 1 set of each pullups, dips, DL then try to get to sleep at about 10 PM.

Take it back gonna sleep early tonight and see if my sleep improves. Otherwise, hit up exercise tomorrow and try to fatigue myself into some deep sleep.

Sleep, although, long above isn't quality. :\

Steven Low
01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
1/20 -- 10:15 for 10 hours
1/21 -- 12 for 9 hrs
1/21 -- 12 for 6 hrs

Meh, sleep not improving as good as I hoped. Have been waking up after 6 hours for the past probably 30 or so days which means I'm losing the quality of sleep between 6->9 hours. It's not very restful. :\

Decided to DL again to get the appetite back up. This is important for the healing process, and I can't really force myself to eat a lot without the exercise.

DL: 90x5; 140x5; 170x5; 220x5,3

Sad that I've lost that much strength. 220 fresh is probably close to my 5 RM. Maybe coulda got 2-3 more reps out of it. 2-3 mins rest got me only 3 more reps with good form.

Gonna see how I feel tomorrow and play it by ear from there pretty much. Off to stuff my face again.

Steven Low
01-23-2010, 08:42 PM
1/23 -- 11:30ish for 7 hours

Feel pretty good today. Going to take it off. DLs made me sore sadly enough. Still stuffing my face as much as possible.

Likely some pullups tomorrow if I feel good.

Getting my fill of shoulder mobility in + sibling step on my back/legs = good.

Goals in progress
RECOVER FULLY.

~manna

~Improve knee

Long term goals
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Steven Low
01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
1/24 -- 12 for 8 hrs
1/25 -- 10:45 for 8 hours

Rested the 24th.

Ran fairly intensely up and down hills for about 600m today. Surprising feeling not too bad.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I want to DL at the very least.

Steven Low
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
1/26 -- 12 for 4.5 +1.5 actually woke up during which means high cortisol levels from yesterday. Sucks.

Gonna try to hit up at least 9 tonight even if it's still messed up.

Steven Low
01-27-2010, 06:40 PM
1/27 -- 12:45 for 8.25 hours.

Blah, broke the new years resolution, but still got decent amount of sleep. Feel pretty good today, so gonna DL.

DL: 115x5, 165x5, 215x3, 235x3, 265x2,1, 235x4

Well, not too bad. My max right now is likely 275ish. So I'm getting back up there slowly. (edit -- ah just realized it's approximate 2x bw... good but not great)

I want to do pullups and dips too but not enough time tonight. I'll try to hit it up Fri.

Goal weight by summer is 145; currently approximately 135. Would be nice coming into PT school at a higher weight, and much stronger and heavier than I've been.

Definitely aiming to get good with my sprinting ability + rings strength + Parkour.

Steven Low
01-29-2010, 05:00 PM
1/28 -- 11:15 for 7 hours
1/29 -- 11:45 for 6.5 hours + 2 hour nap

Was planning to workout today, but decided against it. I helped lift a buncha equipment today anyway.

Should hit it up tomorrow.

Steven Low
01-30-2010, 06:20 PM
1/30 -- 11:45 for 7 hours + 1 hr nap

DL: 135x5, 185x3, 235x3, 245x4x2
Pullups: 55x3
OAC negs: 7s 2x2
RTO 45 deg whole time dips: 15,13

Pretty decent workout today. Longest I've done in a while. I'll see how I do tomorrow.

Felt pretty good overall.

Steven Low
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
1/31 -- 11:15 for 9 hours.. woke up once during + 2 hours nap

I guess I either tired myself out a lot from the week or from the workout. Probably both. Hopefully not another burnout in my case.

Am going to cut down on the volume though to probably 1-2 sets of work DL and 1-2 sets of dips/pullups with no warmup for the upper body. Should be OK and cuts down on overall stress.

Blair Lowe
02-01-2010, 12:56 AM
umm, wtf?!

Pullups: 55x3

Steven Low
02-01-2010, 06:14 AM
umm, wtf?!
That's weight x reps which is why I designated the other "just reps" as 15, 13 like the dips were written. :)

Steven Low
02-02-2010, 06:29 PM
2/1 -- 1:45 -- 7.5 hours. VERRRY bad of me. Won't happen again.
2/2 -- 10:45 for 7 hours.

DL: 135x5, 185x3, 235x2, 265x1, 275x1, 285x1

OAC eccentric: 2x7s
inverted rows: 20
rings flys: 10

That's my 1 RM for DL atm. Gonna back off and do some more work at around 4-6 RM probably. Don't need the heavy stress right now.

Rest felt OK. Gonna try to get at least 9 hours of sleep tonight.

Steven Low
02-05-2010, 07:22 AM
2/3 -- 11:45 for 7.5 hours
2/4 -- 3:00 for 6 hours.. DAMNIT.

Steven Low
02-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Ehh, missed a day somewhere

2/6 -- 1:00 for 1+6+2 not very good either.
2/7 -- well, power went out so I went to bed around 8 and woke up about 4-5 different times but slept until about 9:30 the next day. So 13.5 hours?

Hoping to do some workout tonight.

Steven Low
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
2/8 -- 12 for 8

Not very good woke up a couple of times. Looks like having some cortisol issues from the weird sleep and snow shoveling. Gah.

Need to rest until I can resolve them.

Steven Low
02-10-2010, 06:03 AM
2/9 -- 12:15 for 6+1.5 MEHHH.

RTO support holds @ 30-45 deg: 85, 70s

Gonna try to work up to RTO 60-90 deg for 2 minutes. This is one way to become a lot more proficient at rings if you can't do much intensity stuff on it. Support holds..

Anyway, I'm dedicated to fixing my sleep still.

2/10 -- 1:15 for 7.5

Went to bed late, but finally got some quality I think. Basically, I self massaged myself into relaxation + did some stretching in the shower. Gonna try this again tonight and hopefully I'll see more improvement! First "feel good" sleep in a while.

Steven Low
02-11-2010, 07:39 PM
2/11 -- 12:00 for 9 hrs but woke up twice :\

RTO: 45 deg for 83s

Going to get up to 2 mins @ 45 deg first.

DL: 110x5, 185x5, 245x5, 265x2

I have this colostrum I'm supposed to be testing for muscle recovery/PWO. But instead I'm going to try to use it for my adrenal recovery. So we'll see how this turns out.

Put down some choco milk for PWO. Hopefully I won't break out with acne. Added some orange flavored fish oil to it... doesn't taste half bad. Hint of orange to choco flavor. :p

Steven Low
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
2/12 -- 12 for 9 hours (2x woke up) + 3 hrs

RTO @ 45: 78s
RTO @ 60: 37s
plank RTO 45: stopped @ 30s (could do more but I set the rings wrong so it was aggravating me)

Pretty much just light work + full body stretching

Steven Low
02-15-2010, 06:45 PM
2/13
2/14
2/15

Forgot amount of sleep... but the past two days I got some good uninterrupted sleep for 7.5 hours which is good.

Have been doing a lot of RTO support work. Pretty sore in the shoulders.

Steven Low
02-22-2010, 06:11 AM
2/16 -- bunch of RTO support work
2/17 to 2/20 -- did nothing because VERY busy and not enough sleep
2/21 -- a bit of RTO work + 2x8 hollow back to shoulder stand

Steven Low
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
2/22 -- 12 for 9 hrs
2/23 -- 1 for 5 hours :\

DL: 110x5, 160x4, 210x2, 235x1, 265x2,1
rings 2x8 hollow back to shoulder stand
manna: 3 sets of 3x5s holds

Unfortunately, very sleep deprived.

Still a bit sore from 2 days ago hollowbacks. Unfortunately, my DLs sucked from last time.. couldn't get more reps at 265.

Gonna try to do full body 3x a week with low volume DL + push and a pull. Pull will likely be manna work, and push will be something on rings for now.

Steven Low
02-26-2010, 06:54 PM
2/24 -- 9 hrs (woke up twice)
2/25 -- 7 hrs
2/26 -- 6 hrs

Sleep quality not so good. Aiming for 7.5 tonight.. hopefully superior quality.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to do Gymkana again since I will be in school again (univ of md system) so I can if I want. If I do, I will likely focus on 4 areas -- chairs, partner balancing, rings and parallel bars. Would also likely do high bar + vault but not put much work into making them better.

Even if I don't decide to we'll see. But I am going to start preparing for it like I would.

Did about 1 hour of flexibility/mobility work for everything, and consequently I feel much better after it too, haha.

Also, did about 5 sets of manna work.

My focus is going to be towards rebuilding my rings strength specifically in conjunction with handstands and proper mobility. This is in combo with what I said in the last post as well.

Blair Lowe
02-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Do they have NAIGC or is that the same college you were at before? Maybe with some work you could compete Rings@Nationals.

Steven Low
02-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Do they have NAIGC or is that the same college you were at before? Maybe with some work you could compete Rings@Nationals.
They do, but it's only women.

Steven Low
02-27-2010, 09:29 PM
2/27 -- 7.5 + ~2

Sleep wasn't too great so had to take a nap unfortunately.

Was gonna do a workout, but thought better of it after I had to take a nap.

More full body flexiblity/mobility work + manna work.

Steven Low
03-01-2010, 06:19 AM
2/28 -- 6 + ~1

Not good.

Shoulder/core flexibility + 3-5 sets of manna

Steven Low
03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
3/1 -- 10 hrs about 7.5 or 9 uninterrupted.

Was pretty good.

Shoulder stretching only. Need my sleep.

Derek Weaver
03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Steve, what's going on with all the adrenal stuff? Did you just crash and burn or did something else happen?

Blair Lowe
03-02-2010, 02:06 AM
They do, but it's only women.

Start a men's club :D

Steven Low
03-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Steve, what's going on with all the adrenal stuff? Did you just crash and burn or did something else happen?
No, that's all it is.

Basically, if I do a little too much (and a little too much is just like super low volume heavy for me right now I suppose) my sleep gets jacked up which sucks really bad.

Fortunately, I do have some plans to remedy this problem namely GABA and perhaps a couple other supplements to hopefully replace some parasympathatic neurotransmitters I've been lacking. We'll see.

I think one of the problems after it becomes chronic is that it's very difficult to deal with and/or break the cycle. So I'm focusing on the sleep aspect from a different angle. As you know I took off almost about 2-3 months, and it didn't really help that much so I gotta try something else.

Essentially, I think overtraining in most cases becomes just a sleep or diet problem -- unrecovery. Already fixed the diet stuff so onto the sleep which is vastly more important than the diet. I've been meaning to write something up on this, but we'll see after I experiment a bit. Right now I'm just gonna keep everything low volume until I can figure things out though.

Start a men's club :D

Hahaha. No.

Steven Low
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey hey well this is a nice coincidence the article on T-nation today is about adrenal fatigue or lack there of:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_truth_about_adrenal_fatigue

My problem is chronically elevated cortisol and here's what it says:

1) Chronically elevated cortisol:
a. Phosphatidylserene — 2g a day in divided doses
b. Adaptogenic herbs — panax ginseng, rhodiola, ashwaganda, eleutherococcus
c. Cytokine support — resveratrol, pycnogenol, green tea extract, pine bark extract
d. Neurotransmitter GABA support — taurine, valerian root, passion flower, L-theanine

I ordered some GABA, L-theanine, and 5-HTP last Thurs... so looks like I'm on the right track if this is correct. It comes Thursday so I'll let you guys know how it goes into next week.

I was going to order some phosphatidyl-serine but it's much more pricey so I held back for now. I'll evaluate as I go.

-----------------------

3/2 -- 7.5 hrs

Worked on handstands, manna, rings supports.

I can press probably as far into manna as I have so everything I have been doing is working so far to regain my form this fast.

Full body stretching.

Steven Low
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
3/3 - 7.5 hrs decent

Just shoulder stretching.

3/4 - 4.5 hrs bad

Full body stretching + manna + handstand + support work

3/5 - 7.5 hrs not too bad + 2

cross pulls: 4x5

Full body stretching + manna + handstand

Oh yeah, performed chairs today cause I had to sub for someone. Went well... pretty easy if you're relatively strong..

Steven Low
03-06-2010, 05:21 PM
3/6 -- bad sleep.. about 7 hours of crap + 1

cross pulls: 3x5

Rest day tomorrow. Likely lots of stretching.

Aiming for 10 hours of sleep tonight.

Steven Low
03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
3/7 -- 8 hrs... not so good.
3/8 -- 12 hrs... better but woke up 4 different times

Shoulder stretching.

Need to figure out the right combo of this stuff to take. So far it's not been working out too well... well, that and I've been a bit sleep deprived. I may have to take it a couple hours or earlier in the day before sleep.

Going to workout tomorrow.

Steven Low
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM
3/9 -- 7 meh

Pretty good quality. Can hold cross pretty easily, but about 5-10 lbs or so away from pulling to support myself. Degraded through the sets to 25-35 lbs by the end IIRC. Considering I haven't been training much, and haven't been on long rings in a while I'll consider it a success... Need to start training deeper for butterfly.

Shoulder stretching + couple crappy manna presses

Can still OAC from about 3/4 way down

Steven Low
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
3/10 -- 8.5 hours of meh.

assisted butterfly cross : 3x3

Apparently first couple were about 30-35 lbs of assist and the last couple were like 60s or so. This is approximate since obviously the person spotting can't really tell too well.

+Shoulder stretching on rings.

Did some handstands, and other swing technique work.

Steven Low
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
3/11 -- 4.5 rest
3/12 -- 4.5 EW. 1 + 1

I knew this was coming all week.. very busy with extremely early wake up times.

cross pulls: 5x5

hoping to get good sleep tonight.

Steven Low
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
3/13 -- 8.5 hours +1 not too bad.

Rest day. Went to CF MPH and helped some of them out with rings stuff.

3/14 -- 8.5 hrs... not bad

support hollow body to shoulder stand: 2x8
shoulder stretching

manna work likely tomorrow or tues.

Need to start integrating maltese with cross work and manna. That's probably what I'm gonna focus on for now.

Steven Low
03-16-2010, 08:13 PM
3/15 -- 11 hrs of meh sleep.

Some scapular mobilization work

3/16 -- 6 + 2 of decent sleep.

Shoulder stretching, bit of core/lower body stretching.

Decided to rest was too tired to workout.

Steven Low
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
3/17 -- 8.5 hrs of decent stuff. woke up a couple times though

rest.

3/18 -- 6 hrs. decent but not great.

Got my phosphatidylserine today. Been reading through the studies on serum cortisol and PS and it's supposed to be great albeit some of the dosing has been up in the 600mg+ range. I have enough to take 300mg/day for 30 days which I am going to start out with. Updates on how it goes.

Worked out today for good measure which usually means my sleep is likely to be poor considering my trashed state atm. We'll see.

support hollow back to shoulder stand: 8,9
manna: 3 sets

Cross pulls getting pretty strong. Can almost pull out of L-cross on my short cables at home without a bit of leg assist.

Hollow backs improving back up to level they were at a bit ago (think it was like 13,12 at max).

Manna.. is manna. Hardest freakin' skill I've ever tried to master besides possibly maltese.

If the PS works I'm gonna try to workout about 3-4 days a week (after likely a rest week), and add a bit of skill work (namely handstands) back in as well.

Steven Low
03-19-2010, 03:50 PM
3/19 -- 6+3 -- Actually a good 6+3... I woke up cause I had to go to the bathroom.. too much to drink. Best sleep I've had in a while. God bless you phosphatidylserine.

Cross pull to hollowback to shoulder stand: 3x5
3 sets of manna work (shoulder stretching + 3x5s high hold + 3 hips pushing attempts)

That's what I've been doing for manna basically the whole time when I say manna work. Stretch shoulders -> 3 high holds -> 3 attempts at pressing high

+ wall slides

In other news, finally finished up "the fundamentals of bodyweight strength training" article I was writing. So it will be published on the site on Monday so if any of you are looking forward to beginner programming for bodyweight strength work there ya go....

Steven Low
03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
3/20 -- 6 hrs not too bad but got to bed really late cause of the bball games, so I didnt get to sleep in. Gonna try to get 9-10.5 hrs tonight. Uninterrupted

cross pulls: 3x5
support hollowback to shoulder stand: 2x8
rings flys: 2x4
manna: 3 * (shoulder stretch + 3x5s high hold + 3x press forward)

+ wall slides

Cross pulls were pretty solid today. Almost can do a few unassisted with L-cross pullout.

Hollowbacks were much more tiring because I did proportionally more work on the cross. Rings flys sucked, but at least they were straight body and broke parallel.

Manna is coming along.... slowly. Need more handstand work.

Steven Low
03-21-2010, 06:14 PM
3/21 -- 10 hrs or so... woke up a couple of times but I guess that's to be expected when I train 3 days in a row unrecovered.

Full body stretching. I am likely going to take this whole week off except maybe some manna work in order to hopefully mostly recover from my cortisol issues.

I've been MUCH more rested even waking up with the phosphatidylserine. I'll probably write an article on this stuff too in the near future as it works well, and there's a bunch of good stuff in pubmed about it.

Reevaling goals. Probably gonna do a short cycle after this rest week (3-4 days?), and maybe cycle off the PS for a bit and see how I do.

Goals in progress
RECOVER FULLY.

~manna

~restarting maltese work...

~Improve knee
~be able to DL consistently 1-2x a week
~Sprint sometime in the near future

Long term goals
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL

Current PRs
+130 lbs pullup 08.07.28

9'5" broad jump 07.08.XX
51" box jump 09.04.07

Steven Low
03-22-2010, 06:23 AM
3/22 -- 9.5 hrs. woke up thrice. Still very good quality though, hopefully this will go away as I recover more.

Full body stretching today. Rest day overall.

Finally published this primer on bodyweight work. Have at it.

The fundamentals of bodyweight strength training (http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/the-fundamentals-of-bodyweight-strength-training/)

Steven Low
03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
3/23 - 6 hrs
3/24 - 8 hrs
3/25 - 5 hrs
3/26 - 9 hrs

I am reinstituting my go to bed before 12 policy, except I am going to make it 10:30....

Mostly stretching these past few days. On 2/24 (weds) I was able to get in a bunch of handstand work, and other pbars/rings related skill practice which was good.

Sleep quantity hasn't been great, so I know workouts wouldn't have been great either. Sleep quality has been good the days I actually got more than 7 hours... phosphatidylserine definitely works.

Gonna try to get much more sleep this weekend, but I am afraid I may not be able to.

Steven Low
03-29-2010, 07:04 PM
3/27 -- 7.5 hrs very bad I took a nap so it SUCKED.
3/28 -- 9 hrs pretty good

Helped out with CF wv/va/dc sectionals. Was pretty fun. Got to meet some new people, and saw a bunch that I haven't seen in a while. The community is still good even if HQ is on the fritz.

L-cross pulls: 3x5
Maltese leans: 3x5
manna: 3 * (shoulder stretch + 3x5s high hold + 3x press forward)

3/29 -- 11 hrs decent

Rest.

Workout yesterday was good.

But I think the poor sleep from last week and Sat set me back a bit. Overall I feel better since starting to take the phosphatidyl serine though, but I think I'm still a far bit from 100%. I still don't have the capacity I used to.

Going to schedule according to 2 heavy workouts per week with cross/maltese/manna, and 1-2 very light ones. Probably just some manna and skill work for those.

Hopefully I'll be recovered enough by a couple weeks to start working sprints back in as well.

Steven Low
03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
3/30 -- 7 hrs. Pretty good stuff.

Stretching for shoulders and hips

Cross pulls: 3x5

Ended up doing some today anyway, and demonstrated some other rings/parallettes skills. Feel pretty good right now. I'll see how I am tomorrow.

Am probably going to do a bunch of chairs work tomorrow, and get about 6 hrs of sleep. We'll see how it turns out.

Steven Low
03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
3/31 -- 6+3 Not bad but not good.

Lots of handstands among other things today because I was doing some chairs stuff.

Got back late so unfortunately am not making my before 10:30 sleep time (however, I have been keeping it up all week besides tonight) so we're good so far.

Trying to get about 6 hours tonight, and then good sleep fri and sat... workout on Fri or Sat depending on how I feel.

Steven Low
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
4/1 -- 6 hrs

shoulder stretching

4/2 -- 7.5+1.5 +2 hrs

Feel pretty good today. Gonna hold off on any significant work besides full body stretching.

Extensive hip and shoulder stretching today.. feel like I made some progress with the shoulders.

At the very least I'm doing manna tomorrow see where I'm at.

Steven Low
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
4/3 -- 7 + 2. Ugh.

Shoulder stretching -- german hangs

Manna: 4 * (1 press attempt + 3 pushing hips high)

So I'm pretty much nearly about the same place I was a bit ago. ~45 degrees past vertical. I *feel* like I'm close to being able to push it to 60 past which feels promising, but I can't yet. I need more shoulder flexibility, and pressing power.

Going to work press attempts for the next week.

We'll see about cross work and maltese depending on how I feel.

Steven Low
04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
4/4 -- 6 + 1 + 1

8 sets of manna press attempts. 1-3 reps per set. I can consistently push up to ~45 past. I got very close to 60 past, but couldn't hold it.

I also started working some speed pushes (accelerated) near the end, and they seemed to help a lot for developing the triceps/posterior shoulder power to push my hips forward more.

So I think what I am looking at is a combination of 50-60% work on pushing from the ground, 25% work on speed pushing to develop power to the position, and maybe another 15-25% supplemental work with high holds and assisted pushing the hips fowards. I think this translates into about 3-4 sets of pushing, 1-2 sets of speed pushing, and 1-2 sets of high holding/hips assistance pushing.

Of course, german hangs/shoulder mobility work is a must.

-------------------

Manna is my primary goal within the next few months. Since I am still recovering from low work capacity cross work is second, and maltese is third. I also want to get out and sprint and DL some more, but we'll have to wait and see how the recovery goes first.

If I decide to do Gymkana again (during PT school) I am planning to have butterfly cross, a resolidified rings straddle planche, and manna by this time next year. One arm handstand solid is primary focus for skill work. I am also going to aim for maltese, but with my long arms and current strength it would be a bonus as well.

If I can solidify the manna, I can just maintain it which would be a HUGE burden lifted off my training. Then I would be free to focus on one arm HS, buttefly cross, and maltese which would make life a lot easier.

--------------------

Secondly, am running low on phosphatidylserine, and it has done very well for my recovery so far. Still not where I need to be at though. As you may or may not have known I've been looking for some cheaper sources, so I ordered some more from puritan's pride (via this thread: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4431 ).

It's significantly cheaper so I'll let you guys know how it turns out. When I have the time I am going to write up an article on this stuff. I think it should be the next thing coming out on EMI.. if not some stuff dealing with about 3-4 other works in progress I have on injuries, overtraining, etc. We'll see.

Blair Lowe
04-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Straight arm kip to V-straight arm press to HS would be two very impressive B+B.

Steven Low
04-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Straight arm kip to V-straight arm press to HS would be two very impressive B+B.
Haha, I'll keep it in mind...

-------------------

4/5 -- 6 hrs
4/6 -- 6 hrs

Not so good sleeping so I decided to rest. We'll see what is in store for tomorrow.

Did shoulder stretch some today which is good.

Steven Low
04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
4/7 -- 8.5 hrs

Was good but not great.

Shoulder stretching.

I got my PS today so I'm gonna skip working out, and down 2 (300mg PS each) of these pills (they're monsters wow...) and see how the sleep goes.

Workout tomorrow is definite even if I only get decent sleep. Hoping for great though because I'm only gonna get about 7 due to having to be up early for work.

Blair Lowe
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Besides the butterfly cross, you know you want to do nakayama or pineda.

Of course uprise to straddle planche or Cross HS?

Steven Low
04-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Besides the butterfly cross, you know you want to do nakayama or pineda.

Of course uprise to straddle planche or Cross HS?
I can already do uprise to straddle planche. Inverted cross HS?

Butterfly is so much cooler than nakayama & pineda (even though they're all worth the same). But we'll see where I'm at. There's no use in trying to train 5+ things at once if I can't get one...

Steven Low
04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
4/8 -- 7 hrs decent but not great

Full body stretching.

Did more manna work today, but just pressing stuff.

I got some particular good views with an audience.

Best press with hold: 60 deg past vertical for 1-1.5s
Best press w/o hold: 70 deg past vertical

Pretty good progress. Just need to keep progressively stretching my shoulders more and more.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I may try to do some cross work, and of course more manna work.

Steven Low
04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
4/9 -- 9 hrs

Shoulder stretching. Moving equipment for homeshow.

4/10 -- 6 hrs

Stretching. Chairs handstand work.

4/11 - 9 hrs

Hiking for 2 hours (with some low intensity climbing thrown in). Got the heart rate up. I have poor stamina now... boo.

I'm just going to keep stretching this week, and we'll see what we got.

I haven't talked about it extensively but here's what is going on. I'm at a weird point in this 'overtrained' state where I can output maximal force but my capacity to work volume is severely reduced. If I workout hard for a couple of days in a row my sleep and recovery go to crap, and it takes about 2-3 days to normalize sleep so I can get a continuous 6 hours, and even then it's a poor 6 hours.

Right now I think I'm averaging in between 6-7.5 hours which is much better than I have gotten. The only weird part about this overtrained state is that I have been able to maintain muscle mass extremely well (may have to do a bit with the vitamin D though and playing around with PWO choco milk), so this hasn't been a problem with resting.

My sleep, in general, is my gauge for how I am doing. Once my sleep recovers everything will fall into line with enough time. I have been more tired recently with starting the PS, but this is normal because my body was running on high cortisol and the tiredness is the PS stopping the high cortisol and my body wanting to sleep more. I've been trying to get as much sleep as possible with disrupting my sleep cycle patterns. Thus, gonna try to not workout for a bit starting now to see if I can recover everything completely (although I have been trying this for a while damn it).

The big problem with not being able to train frequently with any type of volume is that I haven't been able to develop any type of significant strength gains within the past 6 months either which is extremely frustrating to me. This is why I need to recover fully. Argh.

So... all about recovery right now. I need to focus on flexibility anyway because I need them for a lot of other stuff. So I am going to likely do this and some very low volume handstand work as well for the next week.

Steven Low
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
4/12 -- 8 hrs

Shoulder stretching

4/13 -- 6 hrs + 1.5

Did a bit of shoulder mobility work, but not much. I accidentally napped because I was tired but it threw off my sleep pattern (always does when I sleep past 2 pm).

4/14 -- 7.5 hrs.

Was planning on 9-10 hours but got thrown off by the nap. Sigh. Sleep quality wasn't very good either.

Shoulder stretching again.

I'm aiming to get 7.5 tonight but we'll see.

Steven Low
04-18-2010, 09:38 AM
4/15 -- 6 hrs decent

4/16 -- 9 hrs good + 1.5

Shoulder stretching.

4/17 -- 6 hrs poor + 1.5

Okay, so I got into bed at 10 with the intention of sleeping 9 hours 'til 7... except I couldn't get to bed for 3 hours. Stupid naps.

Did about 3 run throughs of chairs act we are performing at a talent show next Friday. It's basically me doing a full ROM L to shoulder stand to handstand about 4 times, and chair press the other 3 times.

Not too bad... was a bit metabolically burned but nothing I can't handle.

4/18 -- 3+3 albeit felt decent.

I REALLY need to force myself to stay away today so I don't take a nap which will screw me up. As long as I can stay away I'll be fine.

Am just going to stretch today.

-----------------

In other news, I have decided to revamp fundamentals of bodyweight strength training (with more specific programming and more detail about all phases of the workouts), and add lots more other stuff and make it into an e-book!

I am planning on getting it out by at least the same time next month, so I have constant day and night writing to do.

It's tentatively 6 sections currently, with the rewrite of fundamentals being 1 section. Basically, fundamentals is a teaser for this.

I wouldn't have even thought about doing this until I thought up some "novel" stuff regarding skill progression. More details to follow if you guys are anxious for this I guess I'll talk about it more in subsequent posts.

Rasmus Thomsen
04-19-2010, 05:05 AM
I'm anxious, more info pleaseee :D

Steven Low
04-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm anxious, more info pleaseee :D
~Better order of everything
~All of the underlined stuff is being rewritten
~All of the bolded stuff is new material

The last 3 sections on programming (bolded) will likely contain some subsections which I haven't hashed out yet.... although I have already started writing most of them already.

These along with the progression charts are by far the most important new material, and as far as I can see it's ground breaking stuff.

1. Introduction

2. The foundations of bodyweight strength training

Decreased leverage is the key to strength

The basic hierarchy of a routine
Warm up and skill development
Prehabilitation, mobility, and flexibility

3. Methods of exercise selection

Exercise selection summary
Resources for finding exercises, goals, and equipment needed

4. Skill and strength progression charts

5. Programming for beginners

Routine construction
Summing up the parts

6. Programming for time constrained beginners (45-60 min)

7. Programming for intermediates

8. Programming for time constrained intermediates

Appendix

At the moment I'm estimating about 20-30 pages of solid programming information, along with skill and progression charts with helpful tips and technique description on each of the descibed skills on them (easily over 100) which will probably end up being 20-30 pages if not more...

Then the original and rewritten material from foundations which will probably end up being about 20 pages or so.

Then there's the misc stuff on appendixing available information on the net.. and other resources.

Likely 100 page book. If it's not enough we can probably add in some bonus detailed stuff on bodyweight and weight training integration... but we'll see.

I'm trying to complete everything within a month, so I will have to focus on this day and night.

Depending on how long it is, and how much information I have to add we're probably looking at a price around $20-25.

I am determined to make this as high quality as possible though compared to everything out there on the moment for bodyweight strength programming (which is actually not that much at all...).

Gonna send it to a couple people to write up reviews such as Robb Wolf after I complete.

Rasmus Thomsen
04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Sounds pretty damn cool. Now I have to ask, what will make this book different from BtGB?

Steven Low
04-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Sounds pretty damn cool. Now I have to ask, what will make this book different from BtGB?
The fact that it's pretty much focused on programming information -- routine construction focused on making progress.

BtGB is, for the most part, a book that shows the progressions. There's all of about ~10 pages in BtGB on programming, and it's not that strong of a programming book in my opinion... and many other people have told me similar things.

Shrug. Just my take on it though... Nothing against Coach Sommer or anything, but I don't think it was intended to be a primary programming book just like Starting Strength isn't for barbell work. Practical Programming follow up is more along the lines of what I'm going for if BtGB is akin to the gymnastics Starting Strength.

Steven Low
04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
4/19 -- 7.5 pretty good actually

Shoulder stretching!

4/20 -- 7 hrs quality but woke up a bit tired

I got conned into working out.

Cross pulls: 3x3 w/ 3s hold at bottom and ~30 degree low dip before the pullout

Manna: Got one nice hold at about 60 past vert for like 5-6s then the rest were a bit worse.

Played around a bit on the dream machine, and some other stuff on rings and pbars.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

By the way, any other thoughts/concerns/ideas about the e-book. I'm trying to gauge the interest level.

Steven Low
04-23-2010, 08:30 PM
4/21 -- 7.5 hrs

Did some jumping around and agility. Nothing major.

4/22 -- 7 hrs

Played around on rings and pbars some.

rings hollow back press to HS: 3x + 1 shld std

Muscled up with one arm straight to support a couple times. Then did some OAC with the other arm straight to cross.

I figured I can start working these as a progression for butterfly cross. Just add weight.

4/23 -- 7 + 2

Sleep was oddly decent albeit feeling a bit tired. Probably gonna rest until Tues and see what's up.

Oh yeah, I have a chairs show tomorrow but that won't be intense at all so it's all good.

Whoevers taking a vid I should be able to get it posted here within the next week or so.

Steven Low
04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
4/24 -- 6 hrs.

Tried to get a nap but no go.

Performed in chairs. Went well. Videos will be forthcoming as soon as I can get them.

4/25 -- 6+3.. then 1.5+1.5.

Naps... killing me. Full rest.

4/26 -- 1.5+3

Yeah, thats what happen when I take a lot of naps.

Aiming for 8 hours tonight or more.

As for vids here's the first one. Camara a bit too close, but it's all good. I am obviously the asian in the group..

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=897197222468&oid=108189395872630

Brendan Coad
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
By the way, any other thoughts/concerns/ideas about the e-book. I'm trying to gauge the interest level.

Definitely interested. Thanks for everything so far :D

Matthew Bacorn
04-30-2010, 06:10 AM
I would be interested in the book, but probably only with the extra info about incorporating it with weights, sports, etc. I've been thinking about getting some rings and this would be a great resource.

Rasmus Thomsen
05-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Great chairs show! You should do a straddle planche on top of 2 chairs once:D

Steven Low
05-03-2010, 06:17 PM
4/26-5/3 --

Not so good sleep. Been very busy with work, coaching, and weekend activities.

Have been recovering a bit some though. I did a bunch of stretching today which was good.

Probably am just going to do some skill work tomorrow. Nothing too serious.

Still focused on fully recovering.

Kevin Shaughnessy
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I would be interested in buying the book. I made the switch from gymnastics back to barbell partly because I know how to program barbells better and what I was doing with gymnastics wasn't working. I would like to train it again sometime in the future though.