PDA

View Full Version : steve's log (bw/gymnastics)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Steven Low
08-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Going reupdate this first post with the last 10 workouts I've done in a bit. Namely because powerathletesmag which I was using has gone down again, so I'm probably going to make a permanent switch over to here with my log.

Need to rearchive my previous entries (65 pages worth of 15 posts on each page) and send them to e-mail (because I only have them on this computer ATM). However, starting now we should be good.

Previous log was here from 05.07.23 to 08.08.13. Rest in peace.

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=453&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Couple misc vids I uploaded within the past month or two (2x OAC & 15 lbs OAC statics):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6924615925896854457&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4120919978966498394&hl=en

-------------------------------------

Last page of logs:

Thurs: Rest again.

Might be up for some light work tomorrow.. we shall see. My snuffed up nose is almost gone. :)

Fri: 1x3b OAC

Still have my strength thankfully. Went for a fourth but it didn't happen.

I will probably do something tonight, but I don't know what yet. Probably about same volume with OAC and add in a bit of planche work moving back into my cycle again.

Sat: Was out doing stuff all day so when I got back didn't feel like working out (not to mention I only got 3 hrs of sleep).

Sun:

OAC: 5x2b
rings PPPUs: 4x3 + 10s hold

Felt pretty good today. This was the most volume I have done with OACs in a session (10 each arm).

We shall see where I going to go from here. Probably something light tomorrow (expecting some soreness) and then back into some heavier work Tues/Wed then onto regular schedule.

Mon:

Eccentric from invert, straddle FL pullups, pull to invert: 3x5
BLMPL: 4x4

Kind of a moderate workout.. made me perspire very lightly.

Tue:

OAC: 1x4.5l, 1x5r @ 20s rest pause; 1x3.5l, 1x4r @ 20s rest pause.
rings PPPUs: 3x3 + 10s hold

Tough OAC work. Rested 20s between left immediate right OAC... did a bit better than I expected volume-wise, but this felt really good overall. My posterior shoulders start to cramp up after too many OAC so I gotta massage them now.

Planche work was ok. Unfortunately, I don't get much of a good gauge from pseudos, but overall yesterday the BLMPL felt pretty good. Um, last time I approached straddle planche like this it kind snuck up on me; I should be able to get a decent gauge on Thurs as I am going to the gym. Will probably check out the Galimore progression (front lever - muscle up - straddle planche) as well. Going to rest tomorrow to be fresh for that.

Wed:

Some stretching.. (need to do splits :x) but mostly rest today. I'm actually pretty sore as well so rest is good.

Thurs:

Played around in the gym. Got on the dream machine with some L-cross, maltese and planche work and a couple inverted cross (hard to find the balance point). I can pretty much do these pretty easily with half my weight now (2 pulleys = 1/2 weight) so that's great! :) In other news, tried a couple galimores in a row -- GREAT exercise. If I had the setup I would do these. I also want to set up a pulley system so I can do maltese work. Bah.

OAC: 1x3b alternating; 1x3l, 1x2.5r alternating
PPPUs: 3x5 (purposely squeeze every muscle while pushing -- helped a lot I think)

Med-light day. I feel pretty good right now.

Will probably go hard tomorrow.

Fri:

OAC: 4x2 alternating @ 1min rest pause
On knee rings maltese: 3x5 pushouts (can do about 1-2 then need to assist slightly)
straddle FL pullups: 3x5

More work in less time with the OACs. Feels pretty good -- 8 with 3 mins of rest. Previously was 8x1 w/ 1 minute rest (about a week or two ago) and then recently did 5 w/ 20s rest pause but that's only 5 in 1:20 which is unsustainable for me at the moment. I'll probably try this next week or go for 1x4. :)

Started back up with the pure maltese work. I want to hit horizontal because I didn't feel like I was getting good stress, and I was right. These are insanely hard even from the knees... it's cross progression all over again (back of the knees moving to heels), lol.

straddle FL pullups mainly just for scap retraction!

Tomorrow I'll be playing golf so I'm gonna rest after that and then Sun will probably be rest as well. Give my elbows a break although they're not feeling bad at all right now.

Steven Low
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Notes: I will identify exercises for you guys just so you know what they are (if anyone reads this because I mostly use acronyms). Obviously, once I insert my previous about 10 or so workouts in the above you probably won't know what some are BUT I am currently going through a lot of the same work so I'll describe them later (unless you wanna look through my past log).

Generally, I do most of my pure strength work with about 5 mins of rest between each so if there's a comma (or sometimes semicolon) it tends to mean 5 mins of rest unless denoted otherwise.

Sat: Played golf and rested. Got pretty poor sleep unfortunately.

Sun: Rest

Mon: Feel pretty good today. Got about 7 hrs of sleep.. nutrition was half decent.

OAC (one arm chins): 1x4L(eft), 1x4R(ight), 1x3B(oth), 1x3B
maltese leans & pushout (knees on block): 4x5
FL (front lever) pullups: 3x3 slightly hollowed

OACs I had a PR today with 1x4 with both left and right. At the moment, keeping the volume low (10 is the max I've done in a day) to avoid overuse. Also, endurance-wise my left is probably lagging slightly behind than my right so I generally try to prioritize it. However, I may start doing more alternating work so we'll see.

Maltese leans are fairly simple just put a block at ring height and then put my knees right now on the block and lean forward and push out. EXTREMELY freaking hard. In any case, I'm going to approach these much like the iron cross progression I wrote for PMenu... working from my knees to my shins to my toes and then weighted to work towards maltese. Probably gonna test periodically with leans to see how far I am.

As for front lever pullups I use these mainly as my scapular retraction exercise. Namely because pretty much everything else -- any type of pushing, vertical pulling and such -- tend to emphasize protraction and I don't use any weight work such as bench press to hit retractors. I find if I don't do this I lose my strength on stuff like weighted muscle ups. Just to keep on balancing myself out I do a couple sets of these (normally on lighter days).

At the moment my schedule is more or less 3/1/2/1 starting the 3 on Monday (rest Thurs & Sun). If I need to (aka my body feels like it) I take an off day or do light days. Tues and either Fri/Sat I generally take a light/medium day depending on how hard the previous days workouts are.

As for legs... still rehabbing the knee. I occasionally do pistols with my left to keep up my strength but the right is being a persistent piece of crap to heal. I also have splits as my goal, and one arm handstand which I really, really, really need to get cracking on.

Goals in progress
~one arm pullover
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~rings full planche
~rings maltese
~Broad jump 10 ft (well, get leg to heal moreso first)
~one arm handstand
~Splits!

Goals/skills/techniques on hold
~floor glute-ham raise / bodyweight hamstring curl
~2x bodyweight squat
~2.5x bodyweight DL
~Increase vertical to over 42" (about 30"-32")
~Break 11s 100m & 50s 400m
~butterfly cross, inverted cross, manna [long term]

Goals completed!
~Iron cross (12/08/06) & solidified.
~2x bodyweight dip (03/11/07)
~2x bodyweight deadlift (03/20/07)
~one arm pullup (08/01/07)
~straddle planche (10/30/07) & solidified.
~front lever (12/24/07)
~2x bodyweight pullup (07/28/08 )

Current PRs -- of the weights I have actually tried o_O
285 lbs DL (triple) (07/20/07)
+130 lbs pullup (07/28/08 )
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )
9'5" broad jump (08/XX/07)

severely out of condition + reinjured my knee. Oops:
100m: 12.41 (06/23/08 )
400m: 106:93 (06/23/08 )

Frank Needham
08-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Nice to see you posting your log here Steven, even if it does mean you had difficulties at the former location :) I can't visualize what this maltese lean is, any pictures about on the net that might show it?

Steven Low
08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Nice to see you posting your log here Steven, even if it does mean you had difficulties at the former location :) I can't visualize what this maltese lean is, any pictures about on the net that might show it?

I am fond of illustrations, but I like to use Paint. So if you guys ask a lot, it will end up being a lot of painted illustrations since I don't like to take vid much (hassle).

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6919/malteseleansmq0.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=malteseleansmq0.jpg)

---------------------------------------

Tues: Pretty decent sleep today (7-8 hrs) except I got woken up a few times so it didn't feel as good. :(

Change of plans though. Since I am going to play golf on Sat (barring some stupid rain which it looks like it unfortunately), I am switching up to M,Tu,Th,F training so I'll just go fairly tough with the strength work each day.

Knee feels pretty good at the moment.. been icing and massaging a bunch. I feel like I could jog again and can almost do airsquats without pain. However, I am going to hold off for now since if I reinjure it (for like the 4th time) I will be extremely PISSED. Taking it very, very slow.

Tue:

OAC: 1x4B, 2x3b
maltese leans: 4x5 knees
FL pullups: 1x2, 4x1 15s rest pause

OAC condensed yesterdays work down into less time (~5 mins less). Progress. Elbows still feel great.. no aches right now albeit these are making me sore still at my posterior delts which seem to be lacking in strength compared to anterior (even with balanced push/pull).

Maltese work I added another set and put a cushion under my knees on the block/bench so I'm more level at the position I need to be. Made it a lot more difficult which is good; this is one of those things if I'm not sweating I'm not working hard enough because it's a full body movement.. even moreso than OAC.

FL pullups were pretty good too this time. Focused on keeping body straight and just did as many as possible with 15s rest between each set.

Ice for my knee and food time now. :)

Frank Needham
08-27-2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks, got it now. Anyone who asks a question and gets an intelligent response, no matter the format, ought to be happy with that. That looks like a tough movement.

Steven Low
08-28-2008, 01:22 PM
It is a tough movement indeed.

Wed: Rest & a bit of stretching.

Should be a good workout tonight. Going to shoot for 1x5 OAC, but I'm not expecting to make it. After I hit 1x5 I expect to benchmark myself on OAC + weight so we'll see how good it is after that.

Gittit Shwartz
08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Looking forward to following your log! Best of luck rehabbing your knee!
G

Steven Low
08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Looking forward to following your log! Best of luck rehabbing your knee!
G
Thanks. :)

----------------------

Thurs: Sleep was cut in half but ended up feeling decent out of it. Took another nap later.

OAC: 2x4b, 1x3b
maltese leans: 4x5

OAC added another 1x4 set. Feels pretty good.. definitely extremely taxing. I knew by fighting up the 4th rep that I couldn't do another unfortunately... 5 is still a bit away.

Maltese leans seem to be improving a bit.. latter sets are more solid than the were last time I think. Was sweating a bit more this time so it's more effort. Unfortunately, that's all I'm able to tell at the moment because it seemed like the same knee position. :)

Ice for my knee, ice cream for my stomach... going to stretch a bit afterwards.

Steven Low
08-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Fri: poor sleep

OAC: 6x2 90s rest pause
maltese leans: 5x5

OAC struggled with the last set or so.. had to assist left arm very slightly. Overall, good increase in density as I got the 12 done in about 7:30 as opposed to the 11 I generally get in 10 mins with max sets. I kinda like this setup with some max set days, some volume days and some density work. It's gotten me up from 1 OAC to 4 OAC in pretty much about a month.

Maltese leans.. felt pretty good. Am going to continue and maybe add in some pseudos planche work again.

Jogged on the knee today some about 200m albeit kinda involuntarily since it was to escape the rain. It's sore tonight which is not necessarily a bad thing.. hopefully I didn't set myself back again. One thing I know is that 200m pace at like 50% of my max left me breathing hard... which means I have sucky cardiovascular ability now. Great....

Steven Low
08-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Sat: Poor sleep but got a nap.

Played 9 holes today.. par 31 shot a 44. Probably the best golf I have played in my life, haha (plus the fact a week before I shot 57 on the same 9 -- one of my worse outings). Shot bogey, bogey, par, bogey, dbogey, dbogey, par on last 7 which was best "streak" I've put together (without a double par or triple bogey). Generally, I average about double bogey aka ~49 so it was fun. Now my goal it average bogey and also to get birdie... never gotten one before. Should be playing Monday. :)

Will do some stretching tonight mostly on glutes, hip flexors and hamstrings. Self massage on upper body (cross friction.. some myofascial).

Steven Low
09-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Sun: Rest. Bad sleep... gah.

Mon: Golf.. shot 60 over a par 34 9 holes. This course was much harder so I mean.. I guess it's okay. But still. :(

OAC: 1x3B, 1x3L 1x2R, 1x3A(lternating)
Maltese Leans: 5x5

OAC felt weak. Can't tell if it was because of golf in the morning or just crap sleep over the weekend with not so great eating.

(oops, wood in the way.. guy you gotta take my word for not feet assisting):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7041959875491323695&hl=en

Maltese leans felt not bad... deteriorated in like the last set though. Gonna do some planche work tomorrow I think.

Pretty light today. Going to go harder tomorrow... with Weds rest again. Thurs I should be going down to Primal. And then we'll go from there...

------------------

For some posterity since I did upload these for a different forum to show progress (haven't done any REAL maltese leans in like a couple months):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3704720853498793939&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4334710522531386235&hl=en

Steven Low
09-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Tues: Decent sleep, semi-good eating

OAC (concentric only): 1x5L 1x4.5R, 1x5A, 1x4A, 1x3A
1/2 layout maltese leans (no bench; 1/2 lay = straight hips, bent knees): 5x10s

OAC volume was pretty high today... 16.5/17 reps although concentric portion only. The eccentric does kinda zap a lot of strength cause I was able to do 5 as opposed to my PR of 4, but I'm not sure how much I would've been able to do with the eccentric since yesterday was a bit off. Um, rest tomorrow and we'll see how the elbows feel going into Thurs.

1/2 lay maltese leans felt pretty good actually (just no block support really). Uh, well, I guess there is more activation of everything stabilizing, but without the block (or spotter) you're not really hitting the position. I'll probably trade back and forth with these a bit to develop the strength for each since both are needed (work in support and work to hit the position).

Food time baby.

Steven Low
09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Wed: slept 4 hours... crappy.

Thurs: Slept 4 hours... crappy.

OAC: 3x2

They were so bad I decided to stop. Could be CNS fatigue from the large (+20 more OAC than usual basically), but I strongly suspect it was the crap sleep for the past two days.

We'll see how it feels tomorrow. Should be able to get 8-10 hours tonight. :)

Steven Low
09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Fri: Great sleep like 9 hrs (although one slight interruption). Also, got a nap. Feel pretty caught up,

Knee is doing great. Felt a bit sore yesterday and past few days because of walking, but icing has been helping. Jogged a bit today with no problems. Time for more ice.

Going to postpone working out for probably ~3 days. Shoulder is feeling iffy so I'll probably do some prehab work. Elbows feel great which means they are fully adapted to OAC work it seems.

Hopefully, work my splits now too... o_o

Time for some food, ice and ice cream.

Steven Low
09-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Sat: Rest.

Did some RC work (external) for both my shoulders. Made them feel a bit better instantly so am probably going to readd some work with these after any workout from now on.

Steven Low
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Sun: 4 hrs of sleep. Got a couple naps though which helped make up for it.

OAC: 1x1B; 1x1B +10 lbs; 1x1L(f 1/2) 1x1R 1x1L(f 3/4) +15 lbs; 1x1L +12.5 lbs, 1x1R(f 1/3) +17.5 lbs

Decided to test OAC strength just because I feel like it. Shouldn't be that intensive since 1 OAC is not my limit strength anymore and maxing isn't that intensive either with so few sets to do it.

In any case, got up to OAC +12.5 lbs for left and +15 lbs for right. About halfway to my goal of hitting +25 lbs with both arms by the end of the year. I am probably going to start mixing in some max strength (weighted OAC work) with the repetition sets aiming towards 1x5 and beyond (probably not more than 2-3 sets because it wears on the elbows).

Otherwise, with pushing still going to work towards maltese and planche. Haven't done much triceps work to my honest, but they are one of my strong points and I'm trying to bring up biceps/posterior delt strength anyway.

~Knee rehab work between my sets.
~RC work on external rotation only. Side lying ER & cubans.
~Some splits and shoulder flexibility work.

Veronica Davis
09-08-2008, 05:07 AM
I heard that you were over here. I miss your wisdom on the crossfit boards, but at least I know you are still around.

I've read your journal... What does OAC mean?

Allen Yeh
09-08-2008, 05:11 AM
One Arm Chin

Steven Low
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Mon: ~7 hours of sleep but felt like 5-6.

OAC: 1x1B, 3x2B +7.5 lbs
Maltese leans (from support): 5x10s in 1/2 lay

OAC felt pretty good with doubles at +7.5 lbs. I like weighted version better because it feels better overall. Less wear and tear on the joints.. well, even though it's more weight they're tough enough that enough repetitions can do you in clearly. So am definitely going to mix in more weighted work.

Maltese leans felt pretty good.. although can't tell progress. From what I can tell OAC work does help protect the elbows so I don't have to worry much about any hyperextension which is nice.

Holding off on RC work. Going to try to operate on a 2/1 on/off schedule as I need to give them a break b/c they are small muscles. Shoulders feel great right now though and today is the rest day.

Already did knee rehab + ice. Feels good. Very close to being able to do an airsquat without it twinging. Can go to parallel without it hurting at the moment but am going to take it VERY slow.

Hopefully work splits a bit later. Have also decided to work english handstand before one arm handstand. Will do some of that tomorrow though.

Steven Low
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Tues: 7 hrs sleep. Not bad.

Skill work stuff on rings.. press to handstands, L-sits, shoulder stand, swings
cross: 2x5s
OAC: 2x4A concentrics

Felt pretty good. Crosses were solid but they still feel like they're ripping my chest apart. I am much stronger in the movement now though.. I can see how much OAC work has helped my strength for this.

Um, rest day tomorrow and Weds we'll see.

Steven Low
09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Weds: 6 hours of sleep. Felt ok.

Supposed to be a rest day but I went and did some press handstands on rings, attempted a couple malteses, held a cross for a couple seconds and other work on pommels, pbars. Was fun though so I can't complain. Not sure how this will mess with recovery though.

Did knee work + ice. It's regressed very slightly but overall still improved much over two weeks ago.

Starting working english handstand a bit. This will be fun.

Oh yes, and I weighted myself today: 126 lbs. WTF seriously.. I guess that's why all of the OAC work has gotten so easy. My legs have atrophied a bit since the knee, but my upper body has hypertrophied some. I don't understand where the mass is going to. However, I am going to try to get on a more daytime schedule instead of staying up 'til 3 AM so I can get more meals in. I want to get back up to 130-135 again and hopefully when my knee gets better into 140-145 range. Hard right now that I can't squat, DL, oly and sprint....

Steven Low
09-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Thurs: 5.5 hrs of sleep. Got a 1 hour nap too.

Felt pretty sore today.. stupid cross work two days in a row plus other stuff. However, as I warmed up felt not bad.

OAC: 1x1B.. decided to quit for today
inverted hang eccentric to hang: 3x10s
straddle hang pull to inverted hang: 3x5
OAD (one arm dips): 1x1B, 1x2B

Hmm, overall didn't really get any pushing work in today. But I did get to do some work on english handstands. My left arm in front is much stronger. Although my form sucks (I do arch and I could correct it but it's going to be tough) I can definitely get some good about 5s holds or so now. Being stronger really does help a lot.

Inverted hang to eccentric is too easy now. I am going to have to work cranks (see http://gymnasticbodies.com) or do some work with straight body pulls from hang to inverted hang like I am now. I do them with no momentum which is good.. straddled so far.. cheated a bit with the latter set last couple reps. Good stuff though.

One arm dips.. haven't done these in a while and they are easier now then they were last time. I can probably do around 5 or more if I went all out (I do these on a ledge by the way and let my feet hang against the wall). Pretty good stuff.. was going to do freestanding HSPUs but I didn't feel like it.

Knee work + ice.

Gonna eat ice cream and maybe a bit more then sleep.. need more cals..

Derek Maffett
09-11-2008, 11:39 PM
126? Definitely not a good thing at your height. What happened to your knee?

What are you up to with the OAC now? I seem to be a little stronger in that now with all the Olympic lifting, but I still can't pull from the bottom. So frustrating... even if I haven't trained pull-ups seriously since forever.

Blair Lowe
09-12-2008, 12:40 PM
You need to sleep way more. And I'm pretty sure eat way more too as I'd guess you don't eat much. You are a stick amongst other sticklike asian ppl. However, a very strong stick.

While I can run on a biphasic sleeping schedule, 3.5+2-3, it ain't fun not even with 5+ in the first phase. Little naps help but it still sucks for working out imo. It might be ok for a pure strength modality if I could get past the WU when I'm that sleepless.

I figure the cross hurts simply because you don't do it much anymore.

How clean is your press to HS?

Steven Low
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
126? Definitely not a good thing at your height. What happened to your knee?

What are you up to with the OAC now? I seem to be a little stronger in that now with all the Olympic lifting, but I still can't pull from the bottom. So frustrating... even if I haven't trained pull-ups seriously since forever.
Tendon/ligament pulling away from my tibial tuberosity last Oct. I have reinjured it multiple times so am taking it extremely slow this time. Like... insanely slow.

OAC my PR is 1x4 with both arms. I have pulled 1x5 without the eccentric portion though. And yeah, work the negatives and work weighted pullups. Assisted positives can work... but I felt they didn't help me as much as I wanted. Emphasize the portions you are weakest on by going the slowest in them or do a static in that range. My sticking was the bottom so I did super-slow work with the bottom; now my weakness is the top, lol.

You need to sleep way more. And I'm pretty sure eat way more too as I'd guess you don't eat much. You are a stick amongst other sticklike asian ppl. However, a very strong stick.

While I can run on a biphasic sleeping schedule, 3.5+2-3, it ain't fun not even with 5+ in the first phase. Little naps help but it still sucks for working out imo. It might be ok for a pure strength modality if I could get past the WU when I'm that sleepless.

I figure the cross hurts simply because you don't do it much anymore.

How clean is your press to HS?

Yep.. more sleep would be good. Trying to transition my schedule more... I've gone to bed at like 1-2 AM past couple days so it's getting better.

I don't like splitting sleep it's no good. Trust me.. did a lot of that in college, hah.

As for cross, it's not that it hurts so much. When I get fatigued I can't keep my shoulder girdle depressed well and it pushes my shoulders up into my ears more or less. This pinches my supraspinatus either tendon/bursa or whatever is there into the acromion which makes it sore and painful to do more. The couple crosses I held on Tuesday were not enough to make it fatigued, but the one on Wed was after I did heavy work the day before.

As for press to handstand. When fresh I'd estimate I could do about 4-5 good pike presses. Straddle presses probably 7-8 or so. They're VERY strong now that I'm much stronger. Like silly easy.

----------------

Anyway, I am probably gonna try to do some maltese work tonight and maybe some type of crank/front lever work. Shoulder is sore where the cross hit it on Wed, and OAC aggravated it a bit as well so I'm going to try to stay away from those two at least until next week or so.

Steven Low
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Fri: 4 hrs of sleep + 2 hrs nap. Yeah yeah.. poor sleep but I had to get up a 6 so I had to make do with my poor schedule. Actually got to bed pretty early comparitively.

maltese leans (1/2 lay): 5x10s
front lever holds: 4s, 6s, 10s
rings OA pushups: 1x5B

Hmm, ended up being a fairly "crap" workout namely because I'm sore from yesterdays. Probably the negatives I'm guessing. Maltese leans were crappy. I guess front lever work got better cause soreness was going away (gonna start entertaining ideas of one arm front lever work or weighted front lever work we'll see)... one arm pushups good for the core.

Um, ended up being 5 on this week so I'm probably gonna take tomorrow and Sun off then start again Monday. Prehab work for the shoulders through self massage and some ice.

Knee ice now + ice cream. :)

Kevin Perry
09-12-2008, 11:18 PM
enjoy the weekend off and the ice cream.

Steven Low
09-13-2008, 11:37 AM
enjoy the weekend off and the ice cream.
Haha, thanks.

Gonna do some more gymnastics/bodyweight stuff in the future I hope? ;)

Steven Low
09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Sat: Sleep 4 hrs + 2 hrs again. Oops. Aiming for 7-8 tonight. Eating lots.. (I think -- don't really keep track).

Knee feels the BEST it has been in a while probably 4-5 months or so. Going to keep taking rehab work slow. Ice after this post.

Right shoulder is still feeling a little iffy near the acromion/supraspinatus tendon/bursa area. Left feels pretty good right now although maybe slightly sore. Going to ice this as well.

Will force myself to stretch splits and possibly asian squat a bit tonight. My mobility/gait is a bit messed up because the knee has been injured so long. Ugh. This is going to take a bunch of work to fix.

Kevin Perry
09-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Haha, thanks.

Gonna do some more gymnastics/bodyweight stuff in the future I hope? ;)

I plan to as soon as I get my strength where I want it.

Steven Low
09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Sun: eating more than usual. Sleep was 5 hrs + 2. Plan on getting 8 tonight...

Rest. Asian squat stretching.. right side is a bit tight since that is injured knee side. Also, ice.

Lots of massage on the shoulders. Feeling a lot better. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Allen Yeh
09-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Asian squat stretching.

So for you wouldn't that just be "squat stretching?" Heh.

Steven Low
09-15-2008, 09:00 PM
I suppose Allen,... :p

Mon: 8 hrs + 1 hrs nap

OAC: 1x1B, 1x1B + 10 lbs, 1x1F (3/4 +15 lbs), 1x1 +15 lbs
OAC static top: 1x3s B +25 lbs (too heavy!)
OAC negs: 1x7s +15 lbs (shoulder does not like.. so..)

Basically going to try to stay away from OAC work and cross for a while now and let shoulders heal more. Need to find some alternate form of biceps work since they are apparently my weak point at the moment.

Maltese leans: 5x10s (felt pretty good)

I think I'm just gonna stop. I'll try to figure out something tomorrow that I can do...

In any case, already did knee work + ice. Probably gonna ice again.

Food time.

Steven Low
09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Tues: 7-8 hrs of sleep

Checked my weight up to 128.5 lbs from last week's 126 lbs. So... good I guess. Hope none of it was fat. :p

muscle ups: 1x5 +16 lbs

Challenged someone.. too easy. I wonder if I can max higher than my +65 lbs record now.

maltese leans:
assisted elevators (http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5108&highlight=#5108) (feet on bench): (1x3 partial ROM.. too hard lol)
negative elevators: 3x3 (slow as possible)

Um, worked felt not bad. Maltese's felt better. I like the elevator work but this is even more hard to gauge than maltese leans. You can't tell any sort of progression at all... besides the burning of my muscles. Very good on anterior delts and biceps though.

Also, did ~200m of jogging today. Felt fine. Ice soon. Moreeeee food too.

Planning on a rest week probably starting Sat to Thurs or so this coming week. I haven't taken one in probably about ~3-4 weeks or so now, and I'm pretty beat up so 5 days off totally would do me some good.

Steven Low
09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Wed: 7-8 hrs of sleep. yay

maltese leans: 3x10s
maltese leans push to tuck planche: 3x (5s hold + 5s hold)

sequence 2x: [(straddle hang to inverted hang, straight eccentric to FL, 1 FL pullup, eccentric to straddle hang) * 3 in a row]

elevator negatives: 2x3

Maltese leans felt fine. I LIKE the maltese leans push to tuck planche. Will try adv. tuck next time. These are much like maltese push to planche in the olympics which is awesome.. requires a lot of effort.

Sequence felt fine.. hollowed a bit on the straddles and straight body.. so will need to fix this in the future. I might try to bring back some more sequences because they're awesome..

Elevator negatives are good again. Hardest workout in a while so hopefully NOT sore tomorrow.

Knee is a bit sore from yesterday. Ice. Food time. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Steven Low
09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Thurs: 4.5 hrs of sleep. Not good. Fell asleep in class a bit. o_o

english handstand work (got some good holds 5s a couple times)
straddle hang pull to inverted hang: 1x5
maltese leans push to tuck planche: 4x (5s + 5s)
straddle hang pull to inverted hang: 3x5
pseudo planche pushups: 4x6

Work felt pretty good today. The pull to inverted hangs were done with PURE straight body unlike last time which means I am stronger (or rather maybe less fatigued.. probably both). Maltese leans + push to tuck planche was HARD on ~8 ft long cables. I like this a lot. Pseudos felt good.

Probably some intense work tomorrow and then break for 5 days.

Also, did some tennis ball rolling and groin stretching. Shoulders felt much better after the tennis balling (which I conveniently remembered today heh), so I am going to do this in the future.

Need to work flexibility more. Ice for the knee.

Still eating a buttload (well, trying to at least). Should be past 130 mark by next Tues I hope.

Steven Low
09-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Fri:

8 hrs of sleep + 2 hrs nap. Feeling good. Shoulders are a bit sore though probably from the tennis balling.

maltese lean push to tuck planche: 5x (7s+7s)
2 straight + 1 straddle crank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UESZxMKnh7M): 3 sets
elevator eccentrics: 3x3 @ 7s each

Maltese work feels pretty solid. I think I'm closer -- need to get a vid to check. As for tuck planche it feels ok. I want to take it to straddle, but I am definitely not strong enough after the maltese isometric and the push in front of it. I'll try to work it out to adv. tuck after the 5 day break.

Cranks felt good. First set was very good with no hollowing. Got a bit worse as the sets went on though.

Elevator eccentrics were fine. Still like them although I like OAC work better.. just kinda hard to tell progress with this as stablization is half the battle.

Knee feels much better after all the walking and stairs work it got yesterday. Gonna rest until tomorrow or Sun and then start back up with some work. +ice

I couldn't find a tennis ball so I'm using golf ball at home for my shoulder. Good times. It's feeling looser overall than it has though which is good. Also, integrated some external rotation work as well. :D

Looking forward to this break. Gonna stretch more often especially as knee is improving I can do more squat stretch work. Really need to do my splits though.. and back flexibility. Ugh.

Also, if you haven't read them before a lot of Coach Sommer's stuff is good:
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=892

Steven Low
09-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Sat: 2 hrs + 2 hrs nap + 2 hrs nap. Erf.

Well, still eating a bunch.

Knee is iced. Still feels a bit tender to the touch so gonna continue with ice.

Massage for the shoulders + stretching for the rest.

Steven Low
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Sun: 5 hrs sleep. Meh.

Lots of massage and some stretching for the right shoulder. Got in some squat stretching too. Left shoulder is feeling great now, but still gonna put in some work for it.

Forgot to ice the knee before I fell asleep.

Helped coach some gymnastics today.. rings and floor stuff mostly.

Steven Low
09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Mon: 10 hrs of sleep. Yay.

Two things I forgot to note:

1. Thurs - made TWO one ring muscle ups. Yes, one ring (grab top of the ring). I am going to try to get it without kipping and then if any of you guys are going to the CF Mid Atlantic Challenge I'll show you there. :p

2. Weighted myself Sun: at 129 lbs. Need to eat more than I have been.

Iced my knee already today. Feels strong actually, but is still a bit sore to the touch which is weird. Going to ice again later.

Also, iced the shoulder and have been doing some mad massage work on it + golf balling a little. It's definitely getting looser. It is something supraspinatus though I can feel it when I do the 45 degree side-forward, thumb pointing down arm raise.

Ah yes. Was feeling pretty tight today in my posterior chain (mostly back). The good thing about having 2 middle school siblings is that they can step on your back... free massage. Was pretty awesome. :)

STRETCHING. Yes. For my everything.

Steven Low
09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Tue: 8 hrs of sleep. Definitely on a good sleep schedule again (~12-1 AM to 8-9 AM or so). Awesomeness. Though tonight might not be good...

Did some moving around on the knee today. A bit of acceleration and agility/cutting work. Very light impact. Feels pretty good actually although a bit sore. Iced. Probably gonna just ice tomorrow and let it be and see how it responds on Thurs when I do lots of walking.

Shoulder massage and ice. Hmm. Can't really tell we'll see how it is tomorrow. I hope it's better by Thurs but if not I'll probably modify my workouts like I had been doing anyway to work around it (maltese + planche work.. pure front lever and elevator work I guess).

Asian squattage. Both sides feel pretty even now (tightness on my right side is going away) although I still can't stretch it as well as I want to because it puts a lot of pressure on the right knee which I don't want to risk at this point.

Helped coach. Um, yeah, did some random muscle ups and other easy strength work. Good active recovery I guess...

Steven Low
09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Wed: 8 hrs of sleep. Won't be getting any of that tonight though.. probably closer to 5-6.

Messed around a bit today on rings. Random muscle ups, press handstand, front lever but not enough to be tiring.

Got a NICE english handstand hold for 10s. These feel VERY strong. Now I need to learn how to do a straddle-L press into it. That would be sick.

Jogged on the knee some. Feels good. I might start doing controlled air squats for strengthening soon. +ice.

Shoulder feels GREAT. When I went to hang on it today it didn't feel tight at all except for a little bit. Still gonna keep on icing and massaging though. We'll see how it responds tomorrow though (not gonna do any cross/OAC work yet however...).

Goals in progress
~one arm pullover
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~rings full planche
~rings maltese
~one arm handstand
~Splits!

~2x bodyweight squat
~2.5x bodyweight DL

Goals completed!
~front lever (12/24/07)

+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )

Steven Low
09-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Thurs: 3 hrs of sleep + 2 hrs nap

15 mins english handstand practice. These were a crapshoot compared to yesterday. I got a few nice holds for like 5-10s but it was interspersed with like 1-2s fails.

maltese (1/2 lay) lean push to tuck planche: 5x (7s+7s)
full cranks: 3x3
elevator negatives: 3x3

Felt pretty good today. The malteses once I got properly warmed up I felt I hit some nice ones.. although need to get a side vid next time.

Full cranks were good but deteriorated as the set went on. Looks like I'm good for one set with straight body now..

Elevator negatives were nice. First time I tried without feet assist and it looks like I am strong enough to control it... but I need to focus on keeping the hands in more.

I experimented with a static OAC at a top, and it looks like I'm pretty weak in the position again. Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild this strength up again. But since I have the muscle and previously had the strength it should come back fast -- just need to be wary of shoulders more this time. Will probably start working back into it on Mon perhaps.

Stretched my legs. Tennis balled my shoulder. Iced my knee and shoulder.

Steven Low
09-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Fri: 3 hrs sleep + 2 hrs nap. Ehh..

rings maltese/BLMPL pushups: 5x5

Pretty light today.. wanted to give everything a rest since I'm sore again.. go figure.

Thinking about going for the 30 MUs for time. I want to hit sub2 by the end of the year... that's my only real metcon goal. I'm going to have to recondition myself for that though. I'm trying to decide whether I want to do it sooner (early Oct) or later (probably in Dec if later).

Stretched asian squat, massaged shoulder, ice knee and shoulder.

Steven Low
09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Sat: 5 hrs sleep + 2-3 hrs nap.

Shoulders feel pretty good today. Knee is still a bit sore from wed/thur/fri but overall feeling better and much stronger. Tried an air squat but was a bit iffy so I decided not to do any.

Maltese (1/2 lay) push to adv. tuck planche: 5x (5s+5s)
OAC: 3x2A
elevator negatives: 2x3 7s eccentric

Maltese stuff felt good. Felt strong enough to go to adv. tuck planche. I got a bit of film on the maltese... looks somewhat improved but still need to work on it more. Need to focus a bit more on shoulder technique (rolling forward).

Shoulders felt good as mentioned so I did a bit of work with OAC. Felt great -- but I am lacking strength again at the top position. I will need to work on this going for 5 in a row again. Strength will come back fast again I am sure though because it always does.

Elevator negatives were pretty good. Felt a bit weaker doing them as opposed to Thurs but that's ok since I'm just getting back into things.

Straddle FL pullups mainly for scapular retraction to keep up that strength. (Is also the strength needed for weighted muscle ups in case you were wondering).

Rest day tomorrow and then back into things Monday..

Steven Low
09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Sun: 5 hrs + 2 hrs sleep. Meh.

Rest.

Mon: 7-8 hrs sleep. Still feel tired though overall.

maltese (1/2 lay) push adv. tuck planche: 5x (5s+5s)
OAC: 3x2A

Pretty light workout. Tomorrow I expect to go fairly harder (don't really want to be sore for tomorrow at least.. then going into rest Weds and workout Thurs).

OAC still feeling a bit weak so far (I think it's because I put on around 5 or so lbs since I last did the 1x4...).

Ice for knee and R shoulder.

Steven Low
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Sat: 7-8 hrs sleep + 1 hrs nap

maltese leans (knees on bench): 5x5
OAC: 2x2

Maltese leans particually hard probably cause I haven't done them in a while -- going to alternate these and the free ones again.

OAC.. lol so hard after true parallel maltese work. Biceps were fried from that. I think that's the other thing as well besides the weight gain.. I've been doing OAC after the maltese work instead of at the beginning. I may change it up some and see how it does next time. Ice for the shoulder though and some massage.. started getting a bit tight today before workout.

straddle FL pullups for scap retraction/posterior delt work.

Overall, tough workout even though volume seems the same as yesterday... maltese leans to parallel were definitely 3-4x as intense as yesterday, and still are a full body exercise.

Ice for knee too. Still a bit sore from last week. Meh. Have to be really careful.

Steven Low
10-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Wed: 7 hrs sleep, feel somewhat sleepy though

Jog 400m. Actually didn't mean to do this but ended up doing this because I was late (so it's actually an estimated distance). Felt pretty good on the knee.. didn't really hurt at all. I expect some soreness and tenderness on the spot though.

Otherwise, got some good stretching in for the back and hammies. No squat though should do that tonight.

+ Ice for shoulder and knee.

Steven Low
10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Thurs: 7 hrs sleep

maltese (1/2 lay) push adv. tuck planche: 5x (5s+5s)
hang pull to inverted hang straight: 3x3
elevator negatives: 3x3

Massage for knee & shoulder. Ice for knee and shoulder.

Am going to stay away from OAC tomorrow.

Steven Low
10-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Fri: 9 hrs sleep + 1 hr nap

Sequence 6x:
maltese lean (5s) push to adv. tuck planche (5s) to shoulder stand into elevator negative (5s) to front lever (5s)

Working out late so needed to keep things short. TOUGH workout though. I might just start working more sequences on "light" days because I can get through them fast and they hit basically everything.

Ice for knee. Massage for shoulder.

Steven Low
10-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Sat: 2.5 hrs + 3 hrs nap. Ouch.. still a bit tired.

maltese leans (knee on block): 5x5
full front lever pullups: 3x4
front lever hold: 8s
Elevator negatives: 3x3 7s each

Very little help on the maltese leans this time. Almost time to start going from my knees to my shins.

front lever pullups were good the first round.. deteriorated on the latter reps of subsequent rounds. But that was the first time I got a solid set with straight body, and I was amazed by how many..

Wanted to test front lever hold after and 8s was pretty good IMO.

Elevator negatives are coming along.. I may start to do some shoulder stand partial opens and then bring it back up. I'm not sure how I could concentrically assist myself with these though I need to figure out something.

+shoulder external rotations + shoulder stretch + shoulder massage
+knee rehabs
+wrist prehab
+hip/hammy stretching/mobility
+Ice for shoulder and knee

Basically, working every major joint (need to get my ankles in this too, hah).

Steven Low
10-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Sun: 4 hrs sleep + 3 hrs nap

Coached today mostly. Front lever hold for like 2s (with shoes and stuff on - tough).

Slight bit of jogging on the knee, and no swelling so we're doing pretty good right now. :)

Stretching, massage and ice mostly. R shoulder and R knee.

Steven Low
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Mon: 6 hrs sleep

I think it's about time for this.. 30 MUs for time. I'm going to spend the next week or so trying to game SUB 2:00.

Conditions:
~L/V-sit start (I use L-kip method (http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6992/lkipmuym9.png))
~slightly bent arms at bottom.. I'll work on this
~no eccentric

Time = 2:08 (although start and stop time takes ~2-3s..)

Methods: I am using a descending ladder scheme particularly 9,8,7,6 every 30s. This is the method I've used to game sub3 and sub2:30 so far.

Previous times have been:
1. Kip + slight bent arms + no eccentric = 2:24
Shattered this today; 6-6-6-6-6 [2:3X] or 8-7-6-5-4 [2:24]

2. Kip + straight arms + eccentric = 2:57
Schemed 5-5-5-5-5-5

3. Strict + straight arms + eccentric = 5:40
Missed last which would've been 5:25; 5 per min

Anyway, so I do like slightly bent arms as it allows TONS of more work in the amount of time. Like seriously mind blowing amounts of more work especially with muscle ups. Eccentric is probably approximately about ~20% extra work so it is significant which is why I tend to have qualms about dropping it. But since this week is going to be mostly 30 MUs to try to game it and get sub 2.. I don't really care about dropping the eccentric that much. :)

As my metcon ability increases by doing another 30 MUs I should be able to push it under 2 mins fairly easily.... hopefully. Also, took me about 8-10 minutes to recover after this BS, haha. So outta shape. :(

+Stretching for legs/hips
+ice for knee.

Shoulder should be fine because of the rowing like motion of the muscle up transition gives some good external work.

Steven Low
10-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Tue: 6-7 hrs sleep.

Oops. Was going to do stuff but ended up falling asleep.

Did teach some gymnastics stuff today though and did a couple random demonstrations so active recovery.

I suppose it's going to be on for Wed/Thurs/Sat with Fri and Sun off now.

Steven Low
10-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Wed: 9 hrs of sleep. Oh yeah.

Went down and helped out some. Messed around on Pbars, Phorse, Rings. Straddle planche on rings is still solid as I got a 3-4s non-max hold. Front lever is easy.

30 MUs on the minute(s):
0 - 10 strict
1 - 10 kipping
3 - 5 kipping
4:30 - 5 kipping

Mostly it just turned out that way, but I was going to near failure or just to it to help build up endurance. Probably should've shorted another 30s off but that's okay. Ripped a piece of my skin off my wrist.. so that was NOT cool.

Will probably work some strength tomorrow and then maybe some quick conditioning.

+ Ice for knee and shoulder.
+ Stretching

Steven Low
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Thurs: 5 hrs of sleep

5 rounds for time of
10 chest to bar pullups
10 ring dips

6:59 -- pretty painful... first two sets were fine but last 3 were broke up pretty badly. My lack of metcon is still killin' me.

Ice for knee and shoulder.

Steven Low
10-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Fri: 7.5 hrs of sleep

Rest & stuff my face with food. Actually did ~14 hrs of fast if that counts?

Anyway, some light work mostly to get rid of my lat and chest soreness from those stupid pullups.

Ice for the knee. Shoulder is feeling a lot better. Forgot to mention I did do some external rotations yesterday which I will continue doing.. when I remember.

In any case, gonna drop in on the Mid-Atlantic Hopper Challenge tomorrow after I get off work. Hopefully catch up with the peoples in my area (and hopefully not ostracized b/c of any CF board incidents... lol). :)

Steven Low
10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Sat: 6 hrs sleep

Went over to Mid Atlantic Hopper and caught up with some folks. Excellent job by the competitors. :)

maltese leans (block): 5x5
explosive adv. tuck FL pullups (to stomach): 2x10

burpee (diamond pushup) to chest-to-bar pullups (no jump b/c no space): 1x25

Still sore from Thurs, lol. So decided to keep it fairly strength oriented... mostly because my rip precludes me from doing muscle ups at the moment. I suppose it would be a good idea to add a short metcon after my workouts from now on because I figure it will help a bit when I want to increase volume.

Shoulder is feeling much better and knee let me do burpees today so that's awesome. Going to ice the knee and do some massage on the shoulder.

Steven Low
10-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Sun: 5 hrs + 2 hrs

Mostly rested today. Did some coaching and demonstration of skills on rings and pbars.

R shoulder is still a bit tight but not really painful anymore it seems. We'll see how it feels tonight.

Iced R shoulder and R knee.

Steven Low
10-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Mon: 9 hrs sleep

AM superset 5 rounds:
10s rings planche lean + 3 PPPUs
5 explosive adv. tuck front lever pullups (to stomach)

PM:
maltese lean (5s) push to adv. tuck planche (5s)

burpee (diamond pushup) to chest-to-bar pullups (no jump b/c no space): 1x15

Maltese felt REALLY good today.. hitting around 25-30 degrees lean consistently now. As for 2 workouts I just felt like doing them.. no reason really.

Burpee sequence I got tired on probably because of the 2 workouts so I just cut short when I started losing power on my pullups.

Ice and massage shoulder & knee.

Knee is feeling GREAT. Did about 10 airsquats and some other rehab work. Shoulder FELT good but then I aggravated it on something so I'm gonna be more careful with these workouts...

Steven Low
10-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Tues: ? hrs of sleep

Taught some gymnastics.

Did 30 back tucks into a pit. I tried a couple and they didn't hurt my knee on takeoff or landing so I just kept going. Actually, I am kind of blunting my takeoff power and its into a pit so the landings aren't that rough either. Felt pretty good to say the least.

Fell asleep before I could do workout but it's all good.

Steven Low
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Wed: 8 hrs sleep.

Went to the gym. Did some swinging on rings and demonstrated a bunch of stuff such as english handstands, backwards roll to support on rings, handstands, shoulder stands, front levers & progression pullups, etc.

Came home and did some planche work and a eccentric from inverted to hang. Kinda tired now and don't feel like finishing up. Shoulder is a little meh.

As it stands, I think right now I'm going to take a 5-7 day break from strength work. I will probably do some conditioning to help avoid soreness (not sure where I am in my cycle actually), but overall just wanna get this shoulder back to par since it has just been nagging me these past couple weeks. Left feels good but I'll probably do some work on it as well. Might take longer than that we'll see.

Ice for knee and shoulder. Knee feels great... jogging on it, some moderate impact + some rehab work.

Steven Low
10-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Thurs: 6 hrs sleep + 2 hrs nap

Ended up being nothing but ice for knee and shoulder and lots of massage for the shoulder. Fine with it though.

Trying to hydrate well (not doing a good job). My traps and abs are still sore from the back tucks.. which tells me I'm having a problem doing so. Ergh.

Steven Low
10-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Fri: 4 hrs sleep + 3 hrs nap

Massage for knee and shoulder. Ice for knee and shoulder. Stretching for shoulder.

Not much otherwise. I expect to do some light work tomorrow (today rather) especially for knee and probably some light conditioning work.

Steven Low
10-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Sat: 2 hrs sleep + 5 hours nap

Ugh. Okay massage for both shoulder and knee. Ice just for knee.

WAS going to do some knee exercise and shoulder stretching but I fell asleep again. Same with the conditioning. I will DEFINITELY get some in today though.

Steven Low
10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Sun: 6 hrs sleep

Massage for shoulder and knee. Did some running on the knee + stretching for the shoulder.

Knee overall feels great.. gonna hopefully get some airsquats in today, but it is a bit sore from yesterday.

Steven Low
10-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Mon: 9 hrs sleep

Both massage for shoulder and knee. Multiple ices for the knee + rehab work. No airsquats though.. but I decided to hold off. Stretching on the shoulder felt good.

burpee (diamond pushup) to chest-to-bar pullups (no jump b/c no space): 1x30

Was great.. left my outta breath. Tried to keep up the intensity.

Steven Low
10-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Tue: 6 hrs sleep

Massage & ice for shoulder knee.

3x10 back tucks into pit
~200-300m jogging on knee

Shoulder is feeling much better because I did about an hour of painful massage on the suprasinatus tendon adhesions/lumps I felt.. guess that was what I needed. :) Previous massage was slightly posterior where there was some nerves but that didn't help as much.

Steven Low
10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Wed: 8 hrs sleep

Massage + ice for shoulder and knee.

1x20 back tucks
~200m jogging
external rotation work for shoulders

Almost all of the tightness is gone when I hang on the shoulder. :)

Knee is still a bit sore so gonna try to stay away from doing too much tomorrow.

Kevin Perry
10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Steven, what time frame are you looking towards completing the muscle up wod?

Steven Low
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Steven, what time frame are you looking towards completing the muscle up wod?
End of the year although likely in Nov. Right now I have a rip in my right wrist that is just taking a while to heal so after it gets back I'll go again (shoulder should be good by then).

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be making half the goals I set out for this year... but I am significantly stronger I can feel so it's not a big deal.

Steven Low
10-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Thurs:

Lots of ice and massage for shoulder and knee. Stretching for the shoulder.

~Lots of walking a bit of jogging on the knee.

~English press handstand work. I got one yesterday to told.. I got a few today up to handstand but unable to hold. From handstand to one rail I got some decent holds though so it's just transitioning... working on doing it without trying to swing the legs as much.

A lot more balance work with both legs + stretching hammies, hip flexors and quads.

Oh yeah, and yesterday I also did 5x15s active ROM straddle holds to help increase my straddle L height.

People were randomly doing some weighted pullups today so I just did a random set with 70 lbs for 1x5.. probably could've gotten a couple more reps but.. my strength/endurance is kind of going sour. I need to get back into things soon!

Steven Low
10-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Fri: 6 hrs + 2 hrs + 1 hrs sleep

Iced a lot for the shoulder and knee. Knee is feeling pretty good right now.

Going to see how the shoulder feels with hanging tonight.

Steven Low
10-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Sat: 6 hrs sleep

Ice the knee. Massage the shoulder.

Didn't get around to working on it though. Feeling pretty good with some jogging overall.

Steven Low
10-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Sun: 6 hrs + 2 hrs

Did some hanging/stretching on the shoulder today. Just some residual tightness. I might try some OAC work tomorrow and see how it feels.

More massage for both knee and shoulder. Ice for the knee after some jogging.

Flexibility work for legs. Active flexibility for pike and straddle.

back tucks: 1x25

Chris H Laing
10-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Sun: 6 hrs + 2 hrs

Did some hanging/stretching on the shoulder today. Just some residual tightness. I might try some OAC work tomorrow and see how it feels.

Steven your such a beast. Rehabbing your shoulder with OACs...crazy

Steven Low
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Steven your such a beast. Rehabbing your shoulder with OACs...crazy
Uh, not really. I still have the strength... it's just getting the shoulder to feel better again so I can train with that strength.

Chris H Laing
10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Gotcha. Hope it gets better real soon. Once it does I'm looking forward to see what kinda stuff you do to work towards that maltese.

Also I was looking at your log on Power Athlete for some ideas for rep schemes and whatnot, and noticed you were doing parkour. When your knee heals up will you be continuing with it?

Steven Low
10-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Mon: 6 hrs sleep

Iced the knee. Feeling good. Massage for the shoulder...

OAC (start slightly bent at bottom): 1x1, 2x3A, 1x2A
rings PPPUs: 3x (3 + 7s hold)
explosive adv. tuck FL pullups: 3x5

OAC felt pretty good... better than I expected. I am going to do these with slightly bent elbows at the bottom because breaking the bottom is rough on the shoulder. Did better than I expected though because I had been only pulling 1 or maybe 2 reps when I was out demonstrating and that felt like my max strength. Suprised myself here but I guess it was cause I wasn't wearing a lot of clothing or shoes.

Planche work.. coming along I suppose. I'll try out some straddle planche holds and see where I am in the next few.

Explosive adv. tuck FL pullups for horizontal pulling work. Good stuff.

More massage for the shoulder and we'll see how it's doing tomorrow.

Steven Low
10-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Tue: 2 hrs + 3 hrs

Ice the knee, massage the shoulder.

Did a bunch of jogging and landing from back tucks on the knee. Feels pretty good. Some jogging doesn't make it swell any but too much does make it swell a little bit. Still got some work to do to build up the volume.

back tucks on pit mat: 1x20, 1 min rest, 1x10

Was going to workout, but I'm sore so I don't wanna mess with the shoulder too much right now. It can wait. Shoulder was a little bit tight hanging on it though so we'll see how it feels later.

Steven Low
10-30-2008, 06:07 AM
Wed: 11 hrs sleep

Massage for both shoulder and knee. Ice for the knee.

OAC: 5x2
ring maltese pushups: 3x5

chairs handstand work... one of my old Gymkana teammates has a talent show in his area. So three of us are going to perform in it. This should be interesting. :)

Jogging on the knee feels good. Still residual swelling. Am going to try to take off from jogging today.

Steven Low
10-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Thurs: 9 hrs + 2 hrs

Mostly messed around today with a pullup bar (swings, muscle ups, etc.), rail (balance work, handstands, etc.), and doing some random "climbing" like stuff on the bottom of some platforms.

Good news is shoulder is feeling 100%. Bad news is knee was a bit iffy, but it did get some nice work and now it's cold with ice.

Massage for both though and we'll see how each feel tomorrow. :)

Need to probably reevaluate goals in a little bit but here they are (I display 40 posts per thread so I'm gonna have them at the beginning of each page mostly so I can keep track).

Oh, also 132 lbs now.. going to try to hit 140-145 once the knee is squat and deadliftable on.

Goals in progress
~one arm pullover
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~rings full planche
~rings maltese
~one arm handstand
~Splits!

~2x bodyweight squat
~2.5x bodyweight DL

Goals completed!
~front lever (12/24/07)

+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )

Anthony Bainbridge
10-31-2008, 09:11 AM

You have a 32" vertical jump? Ie, distance measured from standing reach to highest touch? And you want 42"? I think you'll be getting a call from the NBA ... Kobe Bryant's is 38"!

Steven Low
10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
You have a 32" vertical jump? Ie, distance measured from standing reach to highest touch? And you want 42"? I think you'll be getting a call from the NBA ... Kobe Bryant's is 38"!
Haha.. sure why not.

And highest vert is somewhere around like 55" by some skinny dude like middle eastern looking guy. :D

Steven Low
10-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Fri: 6 hrs + 2-3 hrs

OAC (bent ~10-20 deg): 1x4, 2x3
maltese leans (knees): 3x5
FL pullups (slight hollow): 3x3

Shoulder is working at 100%. Knee feels about 85% from what it's been. Gonna rest some more and ice. Massage for both.

Workout overall was good. I think I'm going to decrease reps for maltese lean and increase difficulty.

Blair Lowe
11-01-2008, 10:37 PM
My friend in HS was about Steven's size, actually quite a bit ligher around 110 and could dunk. Damn Japanese bboy bballer. 42" would guarantee a one hand slam.

Steven Low
11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Sat: 5 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC (bent ~10-20 deg): 1x5A, 1x4A, 1x3A
maltese leans (knees): 5x3 (much more solid)
FL pullups (slight hollow): 4x3
rings L-sit to shoulder stand to handstand & reverse: 3x3

Bit more than yesterday since I have a rest day tomorrow.

Shoulders feel great. Still operating 100% -- although will be doing some massage to make sure they stay that way.

Knee is still a bit iffy though. Gonna ice and massage more.

Steven Low
11-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Sun: 5 hrs sleep

back tucks (pit): 1x25, 1 min, 1x10

Shoulders feel great.

Knee got some jogging work + back tucks. Ice.

Steven Low
11-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Mon: 8 hrs sleep -- though not too great quality.

OAC: 1x5A, 2x4A
rings PPPUs: 2x5 + 7s hold

superset 3 rounds:
rings PPPUs: 1x5 + 7s hold
inverted eccentric to hang: 2x10s

Shoulder is feeling great.

Knee is still a bit iffy. Can't tell if it's the weather or if I should be doing more work with it in terms of light stuff to get blood flowing. Weather is cold today which may or may not help.. probably from the jogging/back tucks yesterday. Gonna do some light work tomorrow I think (maybe back tucks we'll see).

Steven Low
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Tue: 6 hrs sleep

OAC (bent ~10-20 deg): 3x4A
BLMPL: 2x3

superset: 3 rounds
rings adv. PL pushups: 1x3
explosive adv. tuck FL pullups: 1x5

Workout kinda petered out in the supersets. Didn't get good quality work there in the latter 2 rounds.

R shoulder is a bit tight. Massage for it.

Knee still has some swelling. Did the rehab work and then iced a couple times. We'll see what's up tomorrow.

Steven Low
11-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Wed: 8 hrs sleep (poor though.. maybe need some ZMA or something, heh)

Did jogging on the knee. Felt decent overall. Ice for it and it feels pretty good right now.

Messed around in the gym demonstrating stuff. Handstands on chairs preparing for show. Rings back lever, front lever, back uprises, handstands, kip to L-sit. Some straddle and pike presses, V-sits. Couple english handstands. Basically lots of work but no workout. Did attempt 1 set of parallette full ROM HSPUs of which I got 6 reps.. probably 7-8 fresh I believe.

R posterior shoulder feels painful I think on the fascia... I'm gonna sleep on it and see how it feels. I don't feel any pain when I do anything though so we'll see.

Steven Low
11-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Thurs: 5.5 hrs sleep

OAC: 1x4A, 2x3A
freestand parallette HSPUs: 3x6
rings tuck PL pushups -> front lever hold: 3x (5 + 7s)
active pike and straddle flexibility: 3x10s each

Lots of stretching today for the legs and massage for basically everything. Shoulder got tennis balled and the little bit of pain actually moved down lower into my deltoid.. weird. But it's just sore now I think so I'm good. Knee is doing ok. We'll see tomorrow how it is.

Feeling a bit tired since I got less sleep than I wanted so it wasn't the best workout. But overall I'm fairly pleased with what I was able to do while a bit tired.

Blair Lowe
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Pseudo planche pushups on rings...pffft

Tried them on a ball...no

Tried them on my little chair-stool...no

Tried them with rings almost on floor so feet we're stable...no

Not happening man. No way, Jose. Esta loca in la cabeza.

If I straddled my legs and got into the same lean I could manage them. It's a weird position, though since the lower body isn't realy tight like a straddle planche. It would probably work in tuck. It's just being able to push out of that planche lean instead of pushing the shoulders back to do a regular pushup. Bah.

Steven Low
11-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Pseudo planche pushups on rings...pffft

Tried them on a ball...no

Tried them on my little chair-stool...no

Tried them with rings almost on floor so feet we're stable...no

Not happening man. No way, Jose. Esta loca in la cabeza.

If I straddled my legs and got into the same lean I could manage them. It's a weird position, though since the lower body isn't realy tight like a straddle planche. It would probably work in tuck. It's just being able to push out of that planche lean instead of pushing the shoulders back to do a regular pushup. Bah.
Hah, you just need to get stronger. :p

Fri: 5 hrs + 2 hrs + 1 hrs sleep

Fasted for like 14 hour or so.... which I broke with pizza cause it was sitting there.

Now I feel like junk since then (been 5-6 hrs now).

I am going to try to workout tonight so we'll see.

Steven Low
11-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Fri:

OAC (bent ~10-20 deg): 1x4A, 2x3A -- struggling today.

superset 3x:
rings straddle PL 4s + 1x3 rings tuck PL pushups
explosive adv. tuck FL pullups 1x5

Kept it short today since it's late.

Steven Low
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Sat: 4.5 hrs + 2 hrs sleep

OAC: 3 rounds of (1x2A, 1 min, 1x1A, 1 min) -- work = 12 with 7m rest
maltese leans (knees -1"): 3x3

superset 3x:
rings straddle PL 2s + 1x3 rings tuck PL pushups
front lever hold 5s

OAC starting to increase density. This is what I did when I moved from 1 rep to 4 reps in like 5 weeks. I think I may go back over my log and note this progress somewhere because it was very, very fast.

Starting to move out the maltese work. Sooo frigging hard though I had to assist myself getting out of the hole.

The OAC work seemed to burn me out for the rest. Quality wasn't as good for the supersets as yesterday unfortunately. I am guessing my lack of sleep is not helping very much.

Shoulders are both feeling great. Knee has been a bit shady over this weekend.. am icing now though and going to probably massage it some more after this.

Steven Low
11-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Sun: 5 hrs + 2 hrs.

Gonna get some well needed rest tonight, heh.

Spotted a lot today. Demonstrated a bunch of pbars stuff.

Worked active flexibility both straddle and pike probably 3x each for 15s.

Shoulders feeling good. I think I'm going to go density tomorrow with OAC 4x3 with 2 min rest (12 rep in 6 mins down from 7 min Sat).

Knee was feeling a lot better. Got about 200m of jogging on it and some ice. Also, did some rehab work. Looking to airsquat tomorrow possibly... need to work on form as well!

Steven Low
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Mon: 7 hrs + 1 hrs

Did 50 reps of about 12" ROM pistols for injured leg (down to a chair and up.. slightly above parallel) + 1x10 pistols for good leg. Overall, this is probably the best it has felt since early 2008. Ice and some massage and hopefully it will feel good tomorrow for some more work.

Also figured out a decent exercise to get my quad working again. Basically lean forward against a wall/counter and elevate foot on a step. Then basically step the uninjured leg down and back up. Kind of like walking up and down the stairs except you can control the eccentric and concentric portion better without putting too much stress. More the knee goes over the toe = more quad work.

OAC: 1x5A, 2', 1x3A, 2', 1x2A, 1', 1x2A, + 2x(1' + 1x1A)
Density over 12 OAC = 5'; 14 over 7'

4 sets of rings straddle PL 3-4" + 3 rings adv. tuck PL pushups (slow = 3-4s/rep)

superset 3x
3 rings L-sit to shoulder stand to handstand & reverse
10s inverted hang eccentric to hang

Shoulders still feeling good. Left arm OAC is weaker than right.. felt like I could've kept going with it on the sets up there. Left arm is limiting I may have to do some work with the top portion.

Overall, good workout. Straddle planche on rings is solid. Need to get rings planche!

Steven Low
11-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Tue: 7 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC: 13 rounds rest 30s between rounds. Had to assist L arm a bit on the last.
4 sets rings straddle PL 4s + 3 rings adv. tuck PL PUs (slow = 4s/rep, pause top)
explosive adv. tuck FL pullups: 3x5

OAC felt pretty good. Density wasn't as great as yesterday though.. this was more of a light/testing day to see what I could get with this. As always, starting bent 10-20 deg until further notice as it's easier on the shoulder.. haven't had any problems since I started doing this.

Straddle planches felt pretty good today although last set suffered a bit. Explosive front lever work for retraction.

Knee = 3x10 pistols to parallel w/ R, 1x5 full ROM with L. Ice + massage. Stretching for everything in the hips area.

Shoulders are still good to go although am going to add some massage today and tomorrow just to keep everything in line. Ulnar nerve is a bit tight on both sides (from OAC work I believe). Massage/stretch for that as well.

Steven Low
11-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Wed: 8 hrs + 1 hrs

Massage and a bit of work for the knee. Some TKEs and the quad activation thing I came up with yesterday. Ice.

Stretching for my hips.. mostly glute stretching though.

Massage for shoulders, elbows. Elbows a bit but overall they're solid.. Considering the level of OAC work though it's awesome that they're full adapted pretty much.

Steven Low
11-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Thurs: 6 hrs + 1 hrs

OAC: 3x4 (had to assist a bit on each 4th reps)
parallette freestand HSPUs: 1x7
iron cross: 4s hold (peer pressurez)
3 sets of parallettes 3-4s straddle planche + 5 adv. tuck PL pushups
OAC negs: 2x 2x10s

OAC felt pretty mediocre today. However, the cross was solid AND after the OAC work even though I got peer pressured into it. Twinged my right shoulder a bit though so I'm gonna stay away from these for now as well.

Straddle planche was feeling good today. It might be almost time to start bringing my legs together towards full planche.

Ice for the knee and massage for the knee and R shoulder. R Shoulder is feeling fine after the twinge. We'll see what's up tomorrow.

Steven Low
11-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Fri: 8 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC: 1x2A, 1x3B +5 lbs, 1x2B +10 lbs. (assist last rep of weighted w/ L)
3 sets of rings straddle PL 3s + 3 rings adv. tuck PL pushups 3s each

Light day.

Not as good progress with the OAC as I would like so I'm going to mix in the weighted OAC with the density work and max reps like I did a couple months ago. Sparingly though.

Straddle planche felt weaker today, but I am a bit sore and tired from yesterday. Decent work overall.

Knee ice! Feeling pretty good actually much better than usual after Thurs night. Hopefully some good strength work on it tomorrow.

R shoulder is sore where the twinge was but overall operating well. Will keep it in mind though.

Steven Low
11-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Sat: 6 hrs

OAC: 1x2A, 1x2B +5 lbs, 2x1B +10 lbs
3 sets of rings straddle PL 5-6s + 1 rings adv. tuck PL pushups 3s

superset 3x:
straddle FL pullups: 1x5
rings L-sit to shoulder stand to handstand & reverse: 1x3

Overall worse quality today. Probably cause I'm tired. Although straddle planche feels more solid; took a quick vid to see my position and correct it; legs were slightly low but torso is perfectly flat so I fixed that during subsequent sets.

Performed chairs today which was fun. If the vid appears on youtube I'll link it here.. but not expecting it. We'll see though. We did have some screwups though and I was unfortunate enough to smash my bad knee so I'm gonna stay away from work tonight (plus I did a lot of walking/jogging anyway) and just ice.

Shoulders are going great BUT they are tired. Rest day will be definitely useful.

I need to check back over my log and see when my next rest break is.

edit: on second thought since you guys are probably wondering; here's the chairs act we did back in 2007 that won best act that year. Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBK9iNcnKw

Steven Low
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Sun: 8 hrs sleep

Focused mostly on ice and massage today for shoulders, knees, some elbow work.

Should've done flexibility.

Otherwise, shoulder is still iffy if I try cross but otherwise not. Still indicates something is a bit wrong there though so I'm going to try to solve it.

Knee has been sore and did a bit of inadvertant jogging/walking on it so just mostly ice and massage to get the bit of swelling down. Going to evaluate today if I'm ready for more work.

Steven Low
11-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Mon: 8.5 hrs

OAC: 1x2A, 1x2A +5 lbs, 1x1 +10 lbs & 12.5 lbs, 1x1R +15 lbs L-fail, 2x2A +10 lbs

maltese leans (1/2 lay): 3x5s w/ 1 min rest (testing)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7174077454033883399&hl=en

superset 3x:
rings straddle PL 4s + 3 rings adv. tuck PL pushups 3s
10s inverted eccentric to hang

straddle FL pullups: 8,7,6 (good form to failure)

Working today was an overall success I believe. I did what I wanted to do with the first two exercises and then it was just extra work from there.

Maltese looks to be about ~25 degrees away. Definite improvement from my 30-40 or so degrees back in September.

OAC were worse than I thought overall. I was hoping to hit +15 lbs with both, but that's okay. My previous records were +12.5 L and +17.5 R. However, that was with full ROM.. I am skimping the first 10-20 degrees so it is probably a big difference but I don't want my shoulder in that ROM anymore. Overall, solid though since I am up to 134 lbs (+8 lbs from when I pulled those PRs) so that would equate to +20.5 and +25.5 lbs (but not really, lol) which is good progress in the two or so months even with the shoulder rehab work I did for a couple weeks.

R posterior delt is sore now and I could tell that during the last exercise it was feeling unstable. So hopefully tomorrow we'll be good to go again. Lots of massage for it now.

Knee is doing better. Still a bit sore so I'm gonna hold back for now. I did do a bit of stair climbing so mostly ice and massage for it. We'll see how it holds up by tomorrow.

Steven Low
11-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Tue: 9 hrs

Did my warmup and then just wasn't feeling it today. Right posterior delt (and probably external rotators) is also pretty sore so shoulder does feel a bit unstable shall we say. Just gonna massage then ice some.

Did about 2x400m jogging on the knee. Not on purposes though since I had to park way far away from a place because of Maryland BBall game. Retarded. Anyway, knee was GREAT during the runs but sore now. I'll take it. Ice and some massage.

Hopefully will do some flexibility later as well.

Steven Low
11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Wed: 7 hrs

Not much structured work today.

1. Went through our chairs routine again. And played around some with different poses.
2. Messed around with some front uprises and other swinging elements on rings.
3. Did some back uprise to straddle planche, one cross (against my better judgement), front lever, back lever, handstands
4. Played around with handstand -> english handstand -> lower to elbow lever -> shoulder stand -> HSPU back to handstand. Nice combo.. I'll try to get it on video.

Bit of jogging on the knee. Cross hit my shoulder a bit so I dropped out of it after about 3s. Ice and massage for knee. Gonna stick with some massage for shoulder and see how it feels.

Thinking of taking my off week next week starting at Thanksgiving as the food will help me supercompensate well. Just gotta make it through this week and half of next. :) Won't mess with the shoulder anymore with cross though.

Steven Low
11-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Thurs: 4 hrs + 4 hrs

Started getting a stuffy nose and a bit under the weather so I decided to take a longer nap and not to do anything today.

Have been doing massive amounts of massive for both my shoulders hopefully breaking up adhesions. It's pretty hard to get the posterior delt and external rotators well, but I'm trying.

A bit of massage for the knee as well. Felt pretty good walking around today although the tibial tuberosity is still a bit sore.. not sure why.

Gonna try to get work Fri and Sat and then Mon->Wed. Or maybe everyday. We'll see how the body holds up though.

Also, as you may or may not know I don't really take any supplements. However, I decided to order some ZMA and fish oil today... so I'm gonna be black boxing it when it comes. Probably the ZMA first for a week or two (as my sleep quality hasn't been all that great); if positive results then I'll add the fish oil on top and we'll see how we do. Unless I should be doing it the other way around, eh?

Chris H Laing
11-21-2008, 03:27 AM
Probably the ZMA first for a week or two (as my sleep quality hasn't been all that great); if positive results then I'll add the fish oil on top and we'll see how we do. Unless I should be doing it the other way around, eh?

IMO, you should take the fish oil first, because it's generally accepted as a necessity in living a healthy and active lifestyle. I could be biased though because I haven't done any research on ZMA.

Steven Low
11-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Fri: 7-8 hrs

OAC: 3x4
rings L-sit to shoulder stand to handstand & reverse: 3x5

Quick work.

Lots of massage for the shoulders.

As for supplements, I may just go with both at once. Shrug. We'll see.

Chris H Laing
11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Yo Stevo :D , i started a log here with the basic workout thing you designed for me, but changed it a little to make it more oly based. Check it out sometime and see what you think about the program. Also let me know how the zma works out because i've been hacing some unrestful sleep lately too.

Steven Low
11-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Sat: 1 hrs + 5 hrs

Not so great day yesterday.

Just decided to take it off.

Looking to work out today -> Wed.

Steven Low
11-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Sun: 8.5 hrs

7 rounds w/ 1 min rest between each
5 pullups, 5 dips w/ both +60 lbs

Man, my endurance SUCKS.

In any case, lots of massage today. Feeling pretty good overall although my shoulders are both feeling a bit loose (a good thing I'm gonna take it unless it's chronic b/c tight shoulders = no good).. Am going to start up the rotator cuff work again during the next couple days and through break.

I might do a couple two a days we'll see.

Steven Low
11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Mon: 7 hrs

supersets 5 rnds, 5 min rest:
5 BLMPL
3 explosive adv. tuck FL pullups

Er, probably gonna do some multiple work stuff until Weds. Am definitely going to hit the RC work tonight.

Here's a vid of our chairs performance. Almost died once and we were crappy, but it was fun nonetheless. :p
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=639341537328

Steven Low
11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Mon #2:

8 rounds w/ 1 min rest between each
3 pullups, 3 dips w/ both +80 lbs

superset 3 rnds, 5 min rest:
3s rings straddle PL + 3 adv. tuck PL pushups
10 adv. tuck FL pullups

band ER and IR both L and R shoulders 2sets 20reps. Going to do some more and maybe some supraspinatus work too.

The fact that my shoulders feel better after RC work tells me that they're probably weak or imbalanced. I'm going to focus on mostly ER again, but will probably end up doing some IR (R shoulder felt a little smidge better with some IR too).

Knee is feeling pretty good. Will give it some more work tomorrow after I coach (should get some decent jogging in as well).

----------------------------------------------

Also, got my copy of Coach Sommer's book today. Some interesting exercises in it that I hadn't thought of. Pretty good although not much in the way of actual programming examples or a general template (mostly exercises and then some general prescription information). If you want to do a lot of bodyweight work I would recommend on getting it. There's a bunch of useful stuff in there.

I am probably going to try to take up manna training again (since it's a good triceps and posterior delt exercise "static" too).

Steven Low
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Tues #1: 7 hrs + 1 hrs

superset 3 rnds:
6 rings L-sit to shoulder stand to handstand & reverse
5 explosive adv. tuck FL pullups

My anterior delts and a bit of chest are sore. Otherwise, I'm pretty good to do. I'm gonna try to keep it more strength work though (4 reps and below or so) from now on.

+massage for both shoulders right now

Steven Low
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Tues #2:

galimores (rings front lever 1-2s, muscle up, straddle planche 1s): 3x3

Superset 3 rounds:
2x10s elevator negative
3 explosive adv. tuck FL pullups
5 rings turned out dips @ 45 degrees

3x10 pistols to parallel R leg (bad) & full L leg
+ RC work both shoulders ER & IR 3x20

Knee is feeling pretty good. Shoulders feel great. Probably only one workout tomorrow at night or something thereabouts.

Eating some ice cream and icing the knee right now... possibly while listening to CF radio, lol.

Steven Low
11-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Wed: 7 hrs.. crap sleep.

Going to keep it very brief since it's 4 AM. Going to skip the shoulder work until tomorrow. Knee work I'll just integrate with the other sets.

7 rounds w/ 1 min rest between each:
2 pullups, 2 dips w/ both +100 lbs

Superset 3 rounds:
5 rings turned out dips as far as possible
8 explosive adv. tuck FL pullups
1x10 pistols to parallel R leg (bad) & full L leg

Ice for knee.

Got my supplements today. So starting to take fish oil + ZMA. Hopefully I'll be getting some better sleep this next few weeks. Well, that and I clearly need to be on a better sleep schedule.... I'll keep ya guys updated.

Steven Low
11-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Thurs: 3+2+1 hrs

Um, first night with ZMA. Oops drank too much water the night before so I had to pee. Then I got woken up by a vaccuum cleaner... So I'm not gonna put too much stock into this.

Did shoulder and knee massage. A little bit of knee work since I didn't feel up to the pistols today. Overall, SEEMS like less inflammation in knee after work. I guess the fish oil is good for something, eh?

RC work 2x20 each shoulder IR and ER.

Steven Low
11-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Fri: 4+3 hrs.

Had a problem with drinking too much water again, so I had to wake up. Did have one dream though, and I generally don't dream much if at all.

Mostly a rest day here. I did do some shoulder and knee massage, but I didn't do any exercise at all. Is very nice just to do absolutely nothing. :)

Steven Low
11-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Sat: 7 hrs

Well, sleep was actually pretty good. No dreams though. Not a large difference at all from the good sleep I was getting before. When I was experimenting with leaving my phone far away I think I got better quality sleep. So I guess my zinc and magnesium levels seem to be fine I guess. I still have the whole bottle left though (about 27 or so days left) so I might as well keep taking and see if there's a noticable difference by the next week or so.

Fish oil seems to be working fairly well I suppose. Well, we'll see how everything turns over once I get back into the normal swing of things. So far looks like the inflammation is down some from my knee, but that may be because I haven't been really doing anything with it either. Had knee in flexion a lot today, and it doesn't get as painful/sore as it has been (from less time too) so I'll take it as a good sign.

2x12 chest pullups and ring dips
5x10 RC IR and ER

Massage for both shoulders and knee. Ice to knee.

Also working on How to construct your own workout routine v1.2 View v1.1 (http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1037). Fun stuff it is... any comments or suggestions for what I should add or clarify?

Proposed changes (all complete except 1):
~Added more on goal setting specifically on aligning goals with an overarching “aim”
~Breaking up CNS/muscles topic into two topics... CNS/muscle interaction & energy pathways.
~Finished energy pathways section – brought in previous material to complete it rather quickly
~Finished hierarchy of a routine complete with integration of goals per my personal method (if you choose to accept) note: not done
~Minor editing to be more concise in some sections though still long winded, sorry!
~Added overtraining & soreness to the Q&A.. probably the most common two, heh
~Revamped a bit of the strength and power section. Did not add any power yet though.

Goals in progress
~one arm pullover
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~rings full planche
~rings maltese
~one arm handstand
~Splits!

~2x bodyweight squat
~2.5x bodyweight DL

Goals completed!
~front lever (12/24/07)

+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )

Steven Low
12-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Sun: 4+3+3 hrs

Ugh, such inconsistent sleep. On the other hand, I did sleep through my alarm which means pretty deep sleep. I haven't done that in years. So maybe ZMA is making a difference.

Pretty much did nothing otherwise except some massage.

Steven Low
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Mon: 5.5 hrs

Actually sleep felt pretty good today. Not tired at all like I usually am after a shorter sleep like this except once.. but that may have been because of food. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Mostly nothing again. Trying to hydrate well.

Going to start to get back into it slowly tomorrow (aka today). That'll make 5 full rest days. I feel pretty much recovered albeit with a bit less endurance (what little I had) than usual so we'll probably start slow and then move back into the strength work.

Steven Low
12-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Tues: 6 hrs sleep

Actually took ZMA about ~3-4 hrs before sleep this time, and I actually woke up feeling pretty well rested. I've never felt that well rested from this little sleep ever. I'll have to try this again later (since it's too late to do now :\).

Did a lot of rings turned out dips and chest pullups + 1x10 pullups and dips +60 lbs

Massage for both shoulder and knee.

We'll see what lies in store for tomorrow. Strength & endurance felt pretty lacking today. Generally, this happens when my muscles hypertrophy some so.. I'm expecting a bit of lag as I bring up my strength again. Weighed in at 134 lbs.

Steven Low
12-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Wed: 9 + 2 hrs

Sleep was pretty good to say the least. Although not as good as yesterday. Past couple days I've felt like I needed to crash after coming back from work though.. maybe cause of messed up sleep schedule or something not sure.

Massaged both shoulders and knee again. Doing pretty good so far.. lots of walking tomorrow so we'll see how it holds up.

Did mostly skill work today. Worked on my floor handstand (sucks compared to my parallette HS) + manna + one arm elbow levers. My wrists are taking a beating so I need to do some prehab for them again especially if I'm going to work OA handstand again which I should.

Melissa Byers
12-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Hey Steven Low,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the plank tips. I've been working my hollow holds, and cranking down on the hollow position while in plank. I think I'm doing something right, because (a) it hurts and (b) I can't hold a perfect hollow plank for quite as long as I was holding my crappy hip flexor-assisted plank. Good stuff.

Get some sleep - and keep me posted with your interview progress.
Melissa

Steven Low
12-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Melissa: Will do.

Thurs: 1.5 hrs + 2.5 hrs

Er, had an exam sucked.

OAC: 6x1 had to assisted with last ~3-4 L arm and last 1 R arm.
Weighted MUs: 1x1 20 lbs, 40 lbs, 65 lbs, 70 lbs F, 70 lbs PR, 75 lbs F
MSH Manna (http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=574): 3x10s (will be working these 60s approximately from now on)

Overall, pretty light. But I'm kinda sore today so.. whatever. OAC strength will come back fast as I've demonstrated before. I tried 1-2 full range OAC and they felt pretty good on the shoulder. I might mix a couple in again.. we'll see. Shoulders are doing well. Knee is doing pretty well too.

Steven Low
12-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Fri: 8 hrs + 2 hrs + 1 hrs.

Guess I was more tired than I though from yesterday. Didn't get to take any ZMA last night though because I just fell asleep before I could eat my ice cream + ZMA it up.

Hodgepodge 4 rounds w/ random rest:
OAC: 1x1 full ROM
rings STRDL PL 3-4s + 3 adv. tuck PL PUs
MSH manna: 1x10s
3-4 straddle press HS + 10-20s trying to fix my handstand on floor

6 rounds:
5 chest pullups, 5 dips

My endurance was sucking during the hodgepodge rounds so I decided on a short metcon. Will probably just keep doing that until I feel better during it and not getting wiped out.

Massage for shoulder and knee.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2008, 02:05 AM
What do you do for wrist prehab?

I've never had anything set for my wrists other than some rotations and some stretching. I know it's a weakness of mine as my wirsts can't tolerate a false grip and when doing handstands off the floor tend to start hurting not too far later.

Steven Low
12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
What do you do for wrist prehab?

I've never had anything set for my wrists other than some rotations and some stretching. I know it's a weakness of mine as my wirsts can't tolerate a false grip and when doing handstands off the floor tend to start hurting not too far later.
Rice bucket circles, wrist curls/extensions (generally last resort) or Coach Sommer's version (http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=860&start=15#p4430). I prefer rice bucket as that has been tried and true for me, but Coach Sommer's works when you don't have any equipment which is nice.

edit: Rock climbing & bouldering work as well.

Steven Low
12-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Rice bucket circles, wrist curls/extensions (generally last resort) or Coach Sommer's version (http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=860&start=15#p4430). I prefer rice bucket as that has been tried and true for me, but Coach Sommer's works when you don't have any equipment which is nice.

edit: Rock climbing & bouldering work as well.
Sat: 2 hrs + 5 hrs

Naps yesterday killed me. Couldn't get to sleep so... got screwed.

3 rounds:
1 full rom OAC
2 straddle-L press HS
3 RTO dip to 2s adv. tuck PL
4x5s MSH manna
3 RTO dip to 2s adv. tuck PL

6 rounds:
5 chest pullups
5 dips
=2:01 (progress towards that sub2 30 MUs...)

Making progress on the manna. Switched up my grip to hands facing backwards so previous attempts were basically crap. I finally figured out how to do it... depress shoulder blades, lean back against arms and then push off. Getting about 1-2" of push now compared to just sitting there pushing. With hands forward I was getting about 3-4" of push so still not up to there yet. Will keep working.

Fatigue killed my straddle-L press attempts. But getting this solid will make everything easier. Funny how press handstands correlate well to anything else.. everyone who does gymnastics/like bodyweight work needs to get a straight arm press HS.

Minor flexibility work for hips and shoulders. Need to do more.. argh. So much to do. :(

Massage for knee and shoulder. Ice for knee. Need to get on my rehab for this, heh..

Adjusted goals.

Goals in progress
~one arm pullover
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~rings full planche
~rings maltese
~Rehab knee to consistent (2-3x/week) sprinting/airsquat capability
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat
~vertical to 36", broad 10'
~butterfly cross, inverted cross, OAHS

Goals completed!
~front lever (12/24/07)

Current PRs
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )
+70 lbs muscle up (08/12/04)
30" vertical leap (XX/XX/XX)

out of condition + reinjured knee :(

Steven Low
12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Sun: 2 hrs + 3 hrs

Didin't do much except for some massage. I can't recall if I did some flexibility for my shoulders or not though.

Steven Low
12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Mon: 13 hrs sleep

Woke up like 3 different times during hte sleep. It was crappy because of that. I didn't get to take my ZMA either cause I just fell asleep unfortunately so that sucked.

3 sets:
3 straddle-L press handstand
1x2A OAC full ROM (had to assist the L arm a bit on second)

6x3 band maltese leans (hit maltese position using bands to counterbalance)

3 sets of 3x7s MSH manna.

Band maltese lets me hit the position which is nice. I want to rig up a pulley system and get on that which would be better IMO.

Manna work is turning out fine. I actually tried a tuck one and I like it better so I might be doing that from now on -- it ends up turning out to be kinda like a tuck planche except the other way. Focusing on pushing the hips high and forward.

Otherwise.. regaining strength. Probably tough/higher volume workout tomorrow.

Shoulders feeling fine. Massage for them and my knee + ice. My knee is doing pretty good now as I can hold it bent without it hurting much and I did a full ROM squat today without pain for the first time in like a year. I think the lack of work but having it bent all the way a lot (and walking up stairs) has been helping significantly.

Steven Low
12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Tues: 7 hrs.

Amazing sleep. Aside from my neck.. I think I slipped a certical vertebrae last night (either c5 or c6). Rotation hurts as does extreme flexion/extension. I can palpate something moving there.. gonna ask the PTs I work with tomorrow to take a look at it... gonna try to work out on it but we'll see. If it hurts I'm done.

Ah yes, past like 3-4 days I've gotten my siblings to step on my back as well a couple times to massage out the kinks around my scapulae. I strongly doubt this has to do with my cervical spine because I tell them to stay away from there, but might be related who knows. I think it popped during one of the manna exercise believe it or not.

3 rounds
3x5s elevated STR/tuck manna (hybrid & went back and forth.. like both)
10 tuck/adv. tuck PL PUs
10 adv. tuck FL PUs

Massage for my neck. Some stretching and massage for shoulders and knee. Maybe ice for the knee.

Neck is definitely bothersome although not so much during exercise thankfully.. hopefully can get this sorted out.

Kevin Perry
12-09-2008, 11:13 PM
are you still working towards that Muscle up pr for time?

Steven Low
12-10-2008, 01:04 AM
are you still working towards that Muscle up pr for time?
I am going to continue adding in the metcon work at the end of my workouts (once my C-spine is better) so inadventently yes. I'm totally focused on getting my work capacity and strength back first.

Steven Low
12-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Not so great sleep b/c of C-spine.

Got the PTs to look at it. Flexed rotated side-bent Left at I believe C5 is what I gots.. still tight after they did some work on it. But it's a bit better.. need to continue stretching for it to help loosen up muscles.

Rest and massage mostly.

Steven Low
12-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Thurs: 2 hrs + 4 hrs

Neck is still tight albeit slightly better. Been massaging the heck out of my tight muscles especially levators. It's getting there.. slowly. Didn't take ZMA.

OAC full: 1x1 (hurt neck so no more)
band maltese: 5x3 w/ 2-3s hold

3 sets:
2x10s tuck/MSH manna
3 rings adv. tuck PL PUs
3 full FL pullups (slight hollow)

Knee is kinda sore because of lots of walking. Maltese made me sweat which is good.. I kinda feel my strength coming back which is nice.

Evaluate some more tomorrow depending on how neck feels.

Chris H Laing
12-12-2008, 03:37 AM
3 sets:
2x10s tuck/MSH manna
3 rings adv. tuck PL PUs

Are you doing these for time?

Steven Low
12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Are you doing these for time?
No, my sets are generally one right after the other.. maybe with a short break. Generally, I only use them as a time saving technique to get in volume of pushing + pulling without taking too long as I generally rest a bunch inbetween sets (~5 mins more or less).

In these cases, I will rest ~5 mins after I have done each superset/set. So after doing this I will rest ~5 mins then do it again 2 times:

1 sets:
2x10s tuck/MSH manna
3 rings adv. tuck PL PUs

For extremely intense exercises (maltese, OAC and such) it's best to do them as their own exercise regardless of how much time you wanna save.

If I want them to be for time I'll record it. ;) For example:

6 rounds:
5 chest pullups
5 dips
=2:01 (progress towards that sub2 30 MUs...)

Chris Salvato
12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
lol 30 dips and 30 pullups for Muscle up Prep eh?

The boys on the CF board would be proud -- but you should really be doing 120 of each, fyi :D

Steven Low
12-12-2008, 10:12 PM
lol 30 dips and 30 pullups for Muscle up Prep eh?

The boys on the CF board would be proud -- but you should really be doing 120 of each, fyi :D
Psshh, that's for people who are trying to get MUs... and a poor sub I might add.

--------------------------------------

Fri: 7 hrs

No ZMA.. wasn't the best rest but it was okay. Didn't wake up fresh like I have been with ZMA. Neck is still pretty sore when I woke up which probably didn't help. Anyway, gonna take ZMA tonight.

5x rings band assisted 2x(planche -> maltese -> planche) w/ 2s holds

3 sets:
2x10s tuck/MSH manna
5 RTO leaned forward dips (far as possible)
3 FL pullups (slightly hollow)

The planche-maltese work was insane. Totally killed my anterior delts such that I had trouble with not-so-great RTO dips.

Knee got a lot of work coaching today walking and standing. Ice. Some massage for everything (neck, knee, shoulders). Neck is feeling MUCH better. Like 50% this morning & past few days -- now it feels like 90%. Shoulders are doing great as well.

jake oleander
12-13-2008, 06:21 AM
5x rings band assisted 2x(planche -> maltese -> planche) w/ 2s holds

3 sets:
2x10s tuck/MSH manna
5 RTO leaned forward dips (far as possible)
3 FL pullups (slightly hollow).

putting in work! how much do you weigh now?

Chris Salvato
12-13-2008, 08:09 AM
steve weighs as much as an average sized woman for his height ;)

Steven Low
12-14-2008, 09:51 AM
putting in work! how much do you weigh now?

steve weighs as much as an average sized woman for his height ;)

Har har... although true. 5'8" ~135 lbs.

Eventually want to get up to about 140-145 lbs but it will be much easier when I can use my knee to run sprints and other leg exercises.

Sat: 2 hrs + 1 hrs + 1 hrs

Christmas party for PT. Ended up eating a lot of meat at Fogo de Chao which was pretty awesome.

Did not end up doing a workout although I checked out the gym at a hotel. It was crap (all treadmills... junk DBs).

Am going to do my workout today (Sunday) and then go from there.

Also, this has been going around but reasoning on integration of gymnastics and Oly lifting. But most of us already knew this was good anyway:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/oly_lifting_for_gynmast.htm

Steven Low
12-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Sun: 7 hrs + 2 hrs + 4 hrs

More tired than I thought. No ZMA yesterday night as I was out.

Gonna keep it short today since it's pretty late.

5 sets:
rings band assisted 2x(planche -> maltese -> planche) w/ 2s holds
3x7s tuck/STR manna (2 sets) & of pseudo manna leans (3 sets)

Pseudo manna leans = awesome. Basically, the opposite version of the pseudo planche leans.

Neck is still a little tight. Shoulders are good. Knee will be getting some ice. Massage for all.

Steven Low
12-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Didn't take ZMA again. Poor sleep. Okay, so missing it really does help a lot.

5 sets:
rings band assisted 3x(planche -> maltese -> planche) w/ 2s holds
3x7s pseudo manna leans

3x rings sequence:
2 adv. tuck PL PUs -> 2 5s elevator negatives -> 4s front lever

Good workout. Increased the planche and maltese work. Manna is seriously insane... getting the butt so high up in the air is sooo hard.

Massaged my shoulders and neck a lot. Knee is getting a lot of walking tomorrow so I'm gonna hold off on work on it. It feels pretty good at the moment.. did some random agility work today on an agility ladder and it held up admirably.

Chris H Laing
12-16-2008, 03:26 PM
3x rings sequence:
2 adv. tuck PL PUs -> 2 5s elevator negatives -> 4s front lever

Are you working towards an elevator too?

Steven Low
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Are you working towards an elevator too?
Good call. Didn't include that in my goals but yes I am working towards the elevator.

-------------------------

Tues: 2 hrs + 4 hrs + 2 hrs

Poor sleep cause of exams. Took ZMA anyway which helped some I think.

Ended up just randomly messing around in the gym. Hollow back press on pbars = pretty easy. I'm not so great off the ground though.

I worked a bit with some attempts at elevator negative to back lever which is kinda cool. Did some straight body backwards roll to supports which are awesome.

Messed around a bit on the tramp and made my neck sore again. So lots of massage.

Steven Low
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Weds: 3 hrs

ZMA made my sleep amazing and I'm still awake now even after the disjointed yesterday, lol. Gonna aim for a full night rest tonight though.

5 sets:
rings band assisted 5x(planche -> 2s maltese -> planche)
3x7s pseudo manna leans

3x rings sequence:
2x dip to adv. tuck PL PUs -> 2 5s elevator negatives -> 5s front lever

Basically, same workout as Tues. Except it was a bit harder as I modified it somewhat to make the maltese sequence more dynamic. Sooooo ready for sleep but am stuffing my face right now.

Knee is feeling good after moving around a lot today. Will ice though as full ROM squats feel a bit off. Rolled/balled my glutes which was great.

Shoulders are feeling a little "loose" so I'm gonna do some RC work tomorrow. Neck is doing much better.

Steven Low
12-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Finished v1.2 of "How to construct a workout routine"

http://eshlow.blogspot.com/

Check it out and give me your comments.

---------------------------------------------

Thurs: 7 hrs sleep

Woke up a couple times. Still satisfying though.. has happened a couple times on ZMA and it doesn't seem to affect sleep quality that much.

Not much in regards of structure. Today was actually mostly a Parkour day. I participated as much as I could with my broke knee in the class. Worked a bunch of swinging tricks from bars to ropes to rings and so on. Bunch of underbar work as well. Went out side and did some conditioning on the steps. Ended up getting in some good non-max effort jumping work in which I was able to jump up 4-5 stairs without pain in my knee! So yay for me.

Otherwise, more along a recovery day because yesterday was a BEAST.

George Mounce
12-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Finished v1.2 of "How to construct a workout routine"

http://eshlow.blogspot.com/

Check it out and give me your comments.

I have for a long time thought that your article is a must read for anyone who is, or has been doing any type of training. There are a couple of typographical errors (might want to spell check/grammar check), but I'm not sure if this annoys you at all. My comments will focus mainly on format, not on content, because the content is sound. They are in no particular order, and I reformatted in Word (I get it free, so I don't use Open Office).

I'm wondering if the specific programs section should be incorporated more into the topics they relate to - Bill Starr's is in the specific programs, but you mention SS as a great start in the strength area, there is no mention of Bill until that program. Now you know I can make the logic jump, but a beginner might not. Also - just hyperlink the names of the programs, its a bunch of extra effort to talk about something then relink the whole thing again.

There are portions where after a paragraph you have a space, and many where you do not. Some numbers are indented, some are not.

Change notes should go at the end, not in the beginning it breaks up the document.

So...to stop being a butt about formatting, here is a reformatted (http://www.mediafire.com/file/4m3rwyk5yya/SL Training Doc.doc) version with the majority of things changed.

Steven Low
12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
I have for a long time thought that your article is a must read for anyone who is, or has been doing any type of training. There are a couple of typographical errors (might want to spell check/grammar check), but I'm not sure if this annoys you at all. My comments will focus mainly on format, not on content, because the content is sound. They are in no particular order, and I reformatted in Word (I get it free, so I don't use Open Office).

I'm wondering if the specific programs section should be incorporated more into the topics they relate to - Bill Starr's is in the specific programs, but you mention SS as a great start in the strength area, there is no mention of Bill until that program. Now you know I can make the logic jump, but a beginner might not. Also - just hyperlink the names of the programs, its a bunch of extra effort to talk about something then relink the whole thing again.

There are portions where after a paragraph you have a space, and many where you do not. Some numbers are indented, some are not.

Change notes should go at the end, not in the beginning it breaks up the document.

So...to stop being a butt about formatting, here is a reformatted (http://www.mediafire.com/file/4m3rwyk5yya/SL Training Doc.doc) version with the majority of things changed.
Re: format

I specifically clumped certain paragraphs together as they relate to each other more than other paragraphs in the topic. I didn't want to space all of them as that would make it disjointed in some areas especially with some paragraphs only being a couple lines... but I didn't want to make all of them clumped together either.

I'm gonna take a look at it and see if I want to rewrite some of the paragraphs so I can space them all out more if that's preferable?

edit: Ah, I see you want to remove the paragraph formatting with indents and make them their own paragraphs. I still want to edit a bit to make better paragraphs because some are short.. but that's probably a good idea.

re: specific programs

Good idea. Well, I may just incorporate better descriptions into the specific programs section later. For example, for strength I do like something like Bill Starr's 5x5 intermediate directly after SS so I suppose including that detail would be a good idea.

As for the links.. hmm. I like them in the section TBH. I did the same thing for the exercise selection part which is why I'm hesitant to change it. I may just add more detail like I said about specific programs and then link from the initial name instead.

George Mounce
12-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Its all good - its your writeup! Just trying to help the creative juices.

Steven Low
12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Fri: 6 hrs + 5 hrs

Sleep was okay. Then I got some more which was awesome.

5 sets:
rings band assisted 5x(planche -> maltese -> planche) @ 2s each hold
3x7s pseudo manna leans

3x rings sequence:
3x dip to adv. tuck PL PUs -> 2 5s elevator negatives -> 4s front lever

Basically an amped up version of Wed which was an amped up version of Mon. Felt pretty good.

Knee is sore today. Gonna ice again. Shoulders are doing great. Neck got tight again so massaging a lot for that.

Steven Low
12-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Sat: 3 hrs + 5 hrs

Uh, slept in a little late because I set my alarm wrong and missed first 40 minutes of work. Oops. ZMA made those 3 hours good though.

Rest day. Not as good as I was hoping but overall was nice. Knee is still a little sore so I iced it. Some massage for everything else. Neck is much better.

Steven Low
12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Sun: 2 hrs + 3 hrs

Not so great on the recovery sleep. Body still feels tired so I'm probably gonna skip workout today.

Massage for EVERYTHING! Gonna try to remember ice for the knee later.

Steven Low
12-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Was tired after this. Going to assume it was because I haven't been getting much sleep the previous days. Odd though. My phone was close by however...

5 sets:
rings band assisted 3x(planche -> maltese -> planche) 2s each hold
1x5s manna leans + 5 feet assisted press hips to shoulder height

3x superset:
5 rings dip to adv. tuck PL PUs
5 small hop to full FL pullup

Felt pretty light. I actually went to a lower setting on the theraband so this is hard. I might stick with this until I can work back up to 5 sets handily like last time. I was failing on the 3rd rep most of the time.

Going to increase the volume 'til Wed and then rest Thurs by pigging out to recover.

Knee is feeling great. I was doing a bunch of cutting/agility on it in the clinic (floor agility ladder was out) and then I did some quick movement at home. Feels pretty good but probably gonna be sore later. Ice. Massage for shoulders, knee and neck as well.

Steven Low
12-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Tues: 6 hrs + 3 hrs

Short work today since I'm tired.

6 rounds:
5 chest pullups
5 dips
time = 1:32

MUCH improved from the 2:01. I'm thinking of changing it to 35-40 total next time to see what we got. Then maybe a 30 MUs time....

Ice for knee.

Chris H Laing
12-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Thats a blazingly fast time. Do you do it on rings?

Steven Low
12-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Thats a blazingly fast time. Do you do it on rings?
Nah, my current setup would probably fall apart if I did it on rings.

Bar + a little wider than normal for me dip bars.

Pullups make no difference though and dips on rings are pretty much the same on bars to me so it doesn't really matter. If possible, work all your stuff on rings IMO though if you're not proficient enough. It's just better.

Chris Salvato
12-24-2008, 11:41 PM
were these kipping?

Steven Low
12-25-2008, 12:17 AM
were these kipping?
Kinda. I generally start off about through 15-20 non-kipping and then gotta kip the rest. It's whatever... gonna kip when I get on rings. :p

Wed: 4.5 hrs + 2 hrs

Didn't take ZMA. Decent sleep. Hopefully on a decent schedule now as long as I can get back to sleep tomorrow night fine.

5 sets:
rings band assisted 2x5 & 3x3 (planche -> maltese -> planche)
1x5s manna leans + 5 feet assisted press hips to shoulder height

6 rounds:
5 chest pullups
5 dips
time = 1:23... 9s improvement from yesterday.

Surprising BUT I didn't feel as winded this time around. Maybe 35/40 Fri-Sat and then try for sub 2 30 MUs next week before new year.

Goals in progress
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~elevator
~rings full planche & maltese
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~OA pullover, OA rope climb (?)
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat

Goals completed!
~front lever (12/24/07)

Current PRs
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )

Chris H Laing
12-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Steve have you been checking out the GB wods? There definitely something right up your alley.

Steven Low
12-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Steve have you been checking out the GB wods? There definitely something right up your alley.
Yes. The problem is they're too simple/basic though. For example, I don't really need to be doing back lever or front lever work much anymore because most of the time I can hold them for 10+ seconds fairly easily.

Most of my work needs to be rings work, and I need to be training the higher level strength moves. Basically, I'm waiting for the time when he starts programming after the rings book has been released but that may take a while. By then I might have all of these moves (hopefully).

Chris H Laing
12-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Yes. The problem is they're too simple/basic though.

I didn't think about that. I also think they're too short, and don't involve enough movements. If I was doing them I would probably do all 3 in one day, maybe alternating the giant pushing and pulling sets, and then doing todays as conditioning afterwards.

Also, do you feel like you could use the one today for conditioning purposes, or would you rather have harder moves in the metcon as well?

Blair Lowe
12-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Steve, by the time Sommer comes out with his ring book, you'll have maltese and be working something like back lever to maltese or something Jotchev-ish. Heh.

Steven Low
12-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I didn't think about that. I also think they're too short, and don't involve enough movements. If I was doing them I would probably do all 3 in one day, maybe alternating the giant pushing and pulling sets, and then doing todays as conditioning afterwards.

Also, do you feel like you could use the one today for conditioning purposes, or would you rather have harder moves in the metcon as well?

Well, as Coach Sommer said... right now they're VERY basic. He's going to add more and more into them to bring them up to normal level. This is just to get most introduced to movements if they don't know what they're doing. There was a forum post on this somewhere.

Also, today's is nowhere near enough conditioning for me. In fact, even the 30 pullups/30 dips is a bit short which is why I'm increasing it. I hit a wall around reps 20 on each so going maybe 15-20 reps beyond that will be all I need for 30 MUs for time. That's the most conditioning I'm gonna do until I get my knee back up for sprints.

Circles are great conditioning but doing sets of 20 is nothing except for those who are not proficient at them. Was working sets of like 40 in a row a while ago and generally you work at least a couple hundred at a time if you're gonna do those. Same with a lot of the other work.

Steve, by the time Sommer comes out with his ring book, you'll have maltese and be working something like back lever to maltese or something Jotchev-ish. Heh.

Yeah, I suspect as much unfortunately.

Emily Mattes
12-25-2008, 05:09 PM
And here I was looking at the GB WODs and thinking about how insane they are . . . There is a world of difference between the gymnasts and the ordinary people!

jake oleander
12-25-2008, 06:46 PM
. . . There is a world of difference between the gymnasts and the ordinary people!

No, usually its only about 12 inches. :p

Steven Low
12-25-2008, 10:35 PM
And here I was looking at the GB WODs and thinking about how insane they are . . . There is a world of difference between the gymnasts and the ordinary people!

Not really... just a couple years worth of strength work with a bit of conditioning and skill work.

No, usually its only about 12 inches. :p

Har har! :p

---------------------------------

Thurs: 6.5 hrs

Rest!

Supercompensation hopefully from eating a CRAPTON of food!

Blair Lowe
12-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Actually, it's more like 6 inches for either gender. Women just under or 5', average 5'4 or so. Most male gymnasts are 5'4 to 5'7, average of 5'10"

Chris Salvato
12-26-2008, 07:09 AM
im actually confused on what to tell people...

I am 5'10 and 180#, definitely not the "gymnast build"....

But I can do all the HS presses and splits and I am working on a OAHS, OAC, tumbling, full splits and a bunch of other gymnastics skills....yet when people ask me if I am a gymnast, I say no. Maybe i should change that? :P

I mean, steve is definitely a gymnast...i just usually consider someone a "gymnast" who has been doing it since they are very young :)

Blair Lowe
12-26-2008, 09:03 AM
gymnast by definition merely means someone who practices gymnastics and there are many forms of gymnastics besides artistic gymnastics.

Steven Low
12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I generally refer to gymnasts as ones who compete. Just shrug it off when people say I'm a gymnast.

I just say I strength train now.. using bodyweight exercises on rings. :) If that makes me a gymnast then so be it!

Blair Lowe
12-26-2008, 12:58 PM
there is a distinction between competitional gymnastics and that time commitment and recreational gymnastics which generally is very few hours a week with light conditioning at best.

if one has the skillset of at least a compulsory gymnast, I'd call them a gymnast. Thus I could qualify. Woohoo, L5-7!

Steven Low
12-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Fri: 7 hrs

5 sets:
rings band 3x5s negative planche -> maltese
5 feet assisted press hips to shoulder height

6 rounds:
5 chest pullups
5 dips
time = 1:35 -- started gassing @ 15 reps.. 12s worse.

Strength work was good but I guess that made the metcon a bit worse, lol. All in all I think this was better since it made me push myself more.

Shoulders are good. Need to so some external work though...

Knee is overall doing well. I keep it bent a lot recently so it aches at the tibial tuberosity, but it's operating well. Ice for it.

Steven Low
12-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Sat: 4 hrs

No ZMA.

Went out and didn't have time to workout today. But I did end up playing about 1.5 hrs of touch football. Knee held up pretty well... I didn't want to do any sharp cuts though. However, I did do some cutting and I didn't have any pain.

Still sore the next day though which should be typical.

Steven Low
12-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Sun: 9 hrs + 3-4 hrs

No ZMA. Making up for lack of sleep. Quality wasn't very good (as I slept on a couch) but what can you expect from that...

Rest day. Plus, it's too late to workout now anyway...

Chris Salvato
12-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Why are you metconning? Is this in prep for the sub 2 minute 30 Mu for time?

Steven Low
12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Why are you metconning? Is this in prep for the sub 2 minute 30 Mu for time?
Yes sir.

Mon: 5 hrs + 2 hrs

time = 1:54
7 rounds -- 5 chest pullups, 5 dips

First 6 rounds take me <90s but the last round takes me about 30s. Basically, if I am flirting with failure I may not make sub2 when it comes down to the 30 MUs. I think it's going to be close again when I try for real.

Knee is still sore. Ice. Feels overall good though besides the soreness.

Did some external RC work.

Strength + metcon tomorrow.

Chris H Laing
12-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Steven, where do you work out?

I am going to be switching to an all gymnastics thing soon and will be going to the nearest gymnastic facility today to ask them if I can workout there for an hour or two a couple days a week, but I'd just like to know where you workout for some ideas of other places to workout.

Steven Low
12-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Steven, where do you work out?

I am going to be switching to an all gymnastics thing soon and will be going to the nearest gymnastic facility today to ask them if I can workout there for an hour or two a couple days a week, but I'd just like to know where you workout for some ideas of other places to workout.
In my basement. If you want a quick view just look at some of the vids I posted on page 1-3.

Steven Low
12-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Tues: 7 hrs

No access to my equipments...

5 sets:
5 feet assisted press hips to shoulder height (manna)
5 slow pseudo planche negative to hollow back press to planche/pushup position

Knee still a bit sore. Will probably do some more running tomorrow.

Hopefully get to use my equipment tomorrow as well... since someone is staying over in our basement I can't use it at night. Stinks.

Steven Low
01-01-2009, 03:02 PM

Okay so... decent sleep.

No workout because person is STILL in the basement monopolizing my workout space. However, leaving in two days.. I'll figure out something tomorrow.

Rest + lots of eating. Knee is doing fine.

Looks like this might more or less be my rest break for the next few weeks, heh.

Steven Low
01-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Thurs: 7 hrs + 2 hrs

Person still in basement...

5 sets:
5 feet assisted press hips to shoulder height (manna)
+
1set - 5 slow pseudo planche negative to hollow back press to planche/pushup position
1set - 3 handstand negative to hollow back press to planche/pushup position
3set - 2 handstand negative to hollow back press to handstand -> handstand

At first I thought my pressing was horrible. But then I remembered manna has a huge triceps component (silly me), so I wasn't as disappointed with the fatigue in the pressing. Although I am having problems avoiding smashing my head on the ground still... need to get stronger in that bottom bent arms position (have been doing mostly straight arm work, eh).

Will probably do some running tomorrow. I *might* do 50 burpees later, so that might put off the running tomorrow. We'll see.

Steven Low
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Fri: 7 hrs + 2 hrs

4 sets:
rings band 8s negative planche -> maltese
+
1x of 1x8s OAC neg
3x of 1x2A OAC full ROM (little help with left arm)

6 rounds -- 5 chest pullups, 5 dips
time = 1:31

Can't tell if it was worse cause I did strength before or because I did no metcon for like 3 days. Hard to tell.. probably both.

Aiming for Sunday for 30 MUs. Hopefully enough rest, and then I'll do it before the football games. :)

Knee is doing pretty well. Didn't get out today unfortunately... will probably do some tomorrow depending on what we're doing.

Steven Low
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Sat: 1 + 2 + 1

Rest + food.

Going to postpone my 30 MUs on Sunday to later because I know my recovery is going to be crap.

Steven Low
01-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Sun: 7 hrs

Rested.

Did a small bit of pushups and such on the side.

30 MUs tomorrow afternoon.

Chris H Laing
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
30 MUs tomorrow afternoon.

Cant wait to see how you do. Are you gunna do it strict or kipping?

Steven Low
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Mon: 7.5 hrs

I put my setup at night since I didn't wake up in time to do it during the day. I made it "better" with some rope and carabiners mounted with rings on the tree outside.

Rings were very cold. Got therabands up to help keep my grip from slipping.

9-8-7-6 is the plan.

I got the first 9 although they're awkward because the knees up kip is weird. Theraband flies off. I try to continue without it but my hands slip for the next two and I waste significant amounts of energy muscling them. I try to pick up the theraband real quick and get it but the rings are swinging around and I miss them multiple times -- at least 5s from when I should be working.

I give up. It was not to be tonight.

However, I will tape my "grippy therabands" on and try tomorrow. First 9 were actually semi-hard; haven't really done much work on rings so it was definitely fatiguing. I ended up finishing the workout in like 5 or so minutes by doing 30-35 MUs (stopped counting after the 11) so I got the whole thing in.

I need to figure out a way to do a continuous kip like the L-kip except full ROM. I experimented a little bit with semi-butterflying it. I am going to try some tomorrow.

Wed is the next go date.

edit: If you guys have any better suggestions for how I should break them down. Here's the problem. I can do approximately 3s per MU for the first ~15-20 or so. But then it becomes about 4s. I need to rest somewhere because my max is only like 15-18 or so.

30s breakdown is nice if I can finish the 9 very quickly because then I get approxiately 3-4s rest going into the 8 and then 6s rest or so. Then the 7 is basically like sets of 4/3 or 3/2/2 and then 1-1-1-1-etc. for the last ones.

I'm trying to think of a better breakdown that would allow me to do this better but it's tough. 12 (40s) - 5 (60s) - 5 (80s) - 4 (100s) - 4 (120s) might work actually now that I think about it. I might try it this way.

I'll experiment a bit tomorrow. Post your thoughts if you have some better suggestions.

Steven Low
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Tues: 7 hrs sleep

Raining so I didn't do anything.

Steven Low
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Wed: on and off for 8 hrs

Woke up to throwing up at least 15x and diarrhea at least 5x. Um, yeah. This sucks.

Guess I won't be doing any 30 MUs today. Argh.

Garrett Smith
01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Probiotics in some form may be indicated. That and no more shady restaurants...

Does it seem like the flu?

Steven Low
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Probiotics in some form may be indicated. That and no more shady restaurants...

Does it seem like the flu?
* Fever (usually high)
* Headache
* Tiredness (can be extreme)
* Cough
* Sore throat
* Runny or stuffy nose
* Body aches
* Diarrhea and vomiting (more common among children than adults)

Those are the symptoms I have.

I strongly think it was the processed junk I ate yesterday right before I went to bed (doritos). However, it could be flu I suppose.

Ugh. Currently I'm on a fast of about 15 or so hours just cause I'm barely hungry... I can keep going if need be. Only thing I've had is water.

What would you suggest?

Garrett Smith
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
No more Doritos, obviously. :)

Probiotics. OTC kefir is cheap and has typically 12-14 different strains in it. I once had a patient who was an HIV+ RN tell me that drinking a 32oz. bottle of kefir in one sitting will cure any diarrhea he ever got. It worked for me the one and only time I've had to try it so far.

Consider vitamin D dosing: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2006-june-july.shtml
Plenty of you have e-mailed me that pharmacological doses (high doses) of vitamin D (1,0002,000 units/kg per day for three days), taken at the first sign of influenza, effectively reduces the severity of symptoms.
It may be a little late for this one though. Increasing your daily dose of D could potentially prevent this from happening in the future (assuming it wasn't something you ate).

jake oleander
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Woke up to throwing up at least 15x and diarrhea at least 5x. Um, yeah. This sucks.

some serious reps there, are you sure you have the conditioning for that kind of workout? :p lol, sorry couldnt resist. get well soon, take some vitamin C and shit...

Steven Low
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Thurs: Lots of sleep.

Pretty much still sick although I am feeling significantly better. My stomach feels a lot better.

I also haven't been eating much per day.. probably only about 500 or so cals because I'm not that hungry. Oh well.

Steven Low
01-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Fri: Lots more sleep.

Feel tons better but still somewhat tired. Starting to get appetite back. Drinking lots of water.

I can feel some of my muscles start to waste away, heh heh. Did a light workout.

2 sets (5 min rest)
15 chest pullups
15 dips

Pretty out of breath. Nothing intense that should destroy my immune system though, but should be good enough to help maintain my mass for now.

Steven Low
01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Sat: 5 hrs + 2 hrs

Feeling pretty good as I have my appetite back. Ate 3 meals today (yay!).

Going to rest today and do a bit of strength and possibly some endurance sets tomorrow.

Steven Low
01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Sun: 6 hrs + 1 hrs

Ended up doing

5 sets:
5 abs pullups
5 dips

Pulling to the first part of my abs muscles. Didn't time this, but did it continuously.

Steven Low
01-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Mon: 6 hrs

5 sets:
rings band assisted 5x(planche -> maltese -> planche)

3x of 1x5 press hips to shoulder level (manna)
2x of OAC neg 1x8s

3 sets:
5 abs pullups
5 ring dips

Goals in progress
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~elevator
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat

Goals completed!
~front lever (12/24/07)

Current PRs
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )

Steven Low
01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Tues: 7.5 hrs

5x8s manna leans (parallettes)
4x4 galimores
3x sequence -- rings L press to handstand negative to partial elevator negative back to shoulderstand to full elevator negative

Pretty exhausted after this. Seems my ability for strength work is still not up to par unfortunately.

Did about 400m of jogging on the knee. Not even sore right now. Gonna do sprinting tomorrow.

Steven Low
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Weds: 6 hrs

3x
sprint 100m, walk 100m

Hams are sore from the jogging yesterday. Wow, my legs are sooo deconditioned (well, the sickness didn't help), and only 3 100m sprints toasted me.

On the plus side, my glutes hurt for like 5 minutes afterwards which is good to know that they're still working.. significantly.

Steven Low
01-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Thurs: 6 hrs + 1.5 hrs

Mostly just a recovery day. Still pretty sore especially in my lats for some reason.

Went down to Primal and just messed around doing some pullups and other things but nothing too hard. Helped alleviate my soreness.

600m jogging + knee ice.

Knee is sore, but it's not really swelling which is good. Just gotta keep the soreness/swelling away after exercise and we should be good.

Steven Low
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Fri: 5 hrs + 7 hrs (20 min wakeup between).. 12 full hours really

5sets:
rings band assisted 3x (planche -> maltese -> planche)
rings band assisted 3x planche pushups
Yewkis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGMcEoDbg0) 6x

Um, I was gonna do more, but still feeling kinda sore and just overall not up to higher volume. I'm sure we'll work in some more stuff later.

In any case, knee is feeling good today thankfully. Iced it anyway. More sprints tomorrow to get conditioning & legs back up to par.

Steven Low
01-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Sat: 3.5 hrs + 3 hrs

5 sets:
rings band assisted 4x5s planche neg to maltese
assisted 1x7s 45 deg past vertical manna hold

3 sets:
1x2 assisted OAC
3x (RTO leaned forward dip, 1/2 lay hollow back press to shoulder stand, HSPU)

6x50m sprints

Knee feeling good (not during ironically but afterwards fine) + ice.

I am fairly satisfied with this workout. Volume is back although strength is a bit lacking as I had to assisted the OAC..

Steven Low
01-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Sun: 2.5 hrs + 3 hrs

Apparently it's not a good idea to go outside and run sprints in sub freezing weather. Starting to get a little head cold, heh.

Gonna try to sleep it off.

Rest day. I'm gonna have to find a sub for going outside for sprints for a while until it gets warmer.

Steven Low
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Mon: 13 hours.. woke up 3 different times though

Trying to eat enough to have my muscles heal to 100%, so I don't have strength dropoff like last time.

Rest.

Steven Low
01-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Tues: 10-11 hrs... woke up thrice again but went back.

Same with the food. Been craving fruit so I've been eating strawberries, grapefruit, and blueberries.

Hopefully healed by tomorrow!

Steven Low
01-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Wed: 9 hrs... woke up 2-3 times

Still recovering. Runny nose today.

However, we're doing fine as I have my appetite back full bore as opposed to like 2/3 or so the past few days. Expecting to feel great tomorrow. :)

Steven Low
01-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Thurs: 5.5 hrs of sleep. Not as much as I wanted... but I'm not tired probably since I've been getting tons the other days.

Going to do some pullups and dips tonight. probably 15/15 or 20/20 just to get working again.

Very slight stuffy nose. Dry throat. That's about all that's left of the cold.

Steven Low
01-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Fri: 8 hrs of ZMA superior sleep. Gonna get back on track with it now.

15/15 in sets of 5 ab pullups/ring dips. Same as yesterday. +2x10s OAC negs each arm.

Nose barely snuffy. Throat still a little rough and light coughing but feeling pretty good.

Steven Low
01-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Sat: 3.5 hrs + 3 hrs + 1.5 hrs

Rested today.

Am going to go back to trying to working back up to 5 OAC & +25 lbs OAC + planche/maltese work on the side starting either tomorrow or Sunday. Need to beef up my strength again.. I feel like I'm just weak now. :(

Steven Low
01-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Sun: 5 hrs + 3 hrs

OAC: 6x1

L arm is weaker than R for sure. Going to go higher volume with everything tomorrow.

Getting back into working out again. I dooooo really want to sprint, but I may settle for bounding or something inside in the basement. Knee has been a bit sore on and off but I'm massaging a lot.

Still have a random cough although my throat is better fully.

Steven Low
01-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Mon: 8.5 hrs

OAC: 3x2A -- had to assist a little with L arm on the last one or maybe two

5 sets:
1x5-8s manna
3x rings planche -> maltese -> planche w/ band

Manna progress (last set -- so might be the worst example lol). My guess is I can hold approximately 45 degrees past vertical right now it looks like when fresh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVdb53uJMVw

Finally youtubing. I'm kinda mad I didn't get vids of my 4 OAC, but I will now that I'm working up to it again. Same with some of the other stuff I can do just for archive purposes. Anyway, we'll get it down surely.

Expecting some soreness tomorrow at the very least. Might have to make it a light day.

Chris H Laing
01-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Nice progress on the manna!

Steven Low
01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Tue: 6 hrs + 2.5 hrs

Rest.

A little bit sore.

Steven Low
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Wed: 4.5 hrs

OAC: 1x1, 1x2, 1x1, 1x2, 1x1

Also did some agility work on my knee. No swelling.. a small bit of "pain" I suppose.. we'll see how it responds without ice and if there's any soreness.

Higher volume tomorrow. Shoulders feel good but I'm gonna take precautionary measures and keep mass massaging them.

Steven Low
01-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Thurs: 7 hrs + 3 hrs + 1 hrs

OAC: 1x1, 4x2 (might have done 5 sets though not sure + had to assist L a bit on second of latter sets)

3 sets:
1x7s manna (couch press to ~70-80 past vertical)
1x7s maltese lean
2x RTO dip -> hollow back press & back to dip

I still like the couch pressing mannas. They give me a feel for how to hold the position past where I can currently press. This session (only 3 reps of 7s though) was particularly good... gave me a feel of what I have to do to get past the 45 degrees past vert which is namely (1) improve pike compression actively and (2) push the hips forward A LOT more (felt more forwards as opposed to pressing them up). I was almost able to hold the 70-80 past vert by myself so if I can get the press of the hips right I think I am very close to obtaining manna.

Rest was gravy though. Not sure if I'm gonna hit up a workout tomorrow.. I'll base it on how I feel probably.

Kevin Perry
01-29-2009, 10:10 PM
This will sound stupid but what is OAC?

Steven Low
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
This will sound stupid but what is OAC?
one arm chinup. I always use OAC... just because I generally do those, but even if I do one arm pullups it will be OAC. I do most of my pullups/chinups supinated grip as well.

Kevin Perry
01-29-2009, 10:21 PM
ah now i don't feel stupid anymore... I just never figured out the abbreviation.

Totally glad I started back with the regular ring training and static strength stuff, just awesomness all around.

Steven Low
01-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Fri: 7 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC: 5x1 (performance decrease overall.. rest tomorrow)
5 sets of 2x (RTO leaned forward dips -> hollow back press to shoulder stand & back)

Overall, hit my muscles pretty hard even though lower volume than yesterday. Looking forward to resting. Iced my shoulder and knee a little bit. + massage

If it's not too cold I may try some 90-95% running instead of all out sprinting.

Steven Low
02-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Sat: 4 hrs + 2.5 hrs

Um, rest day. Lots of eating.

25 burpees for active recovery.

Steven Low
02-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Sun: 4 hrs + 1 hrs

Still feeling underrecovered ... not really due to lack of sleep [IMO], but I guess it could be construed as such.

Anyway, ate a lot because of the Super Bowl. Gonna see how we feel tomorrow for doing stuff.

Steven Low
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Mon: 6.5 hrs

OAC: 1x1, 4x2B

I think I could've hit 1x3 if I do separately instead of one right after the other. I'll try tomorrow. Also, I think I may have had 1-2 sets left in me for the 1x2, but I want to save energy for tomorrow's attempt at 1x3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcvYQHw0_o

3 sets:
2x (RTO leaned forward dips -> hollow back press to shoulder stand & back)

Overall, pretty good workout. My endurance is gonna suck... Oh well. :)

R shoulder at ~posterior acromion has been a bit bothersome the past few days. Feels fine now ironically, but there is a little clicking though with no pain. I'm gonna ice a bunch. If it keeps bothering me I might postpone OAC for a while. I THINK it should be fine. L shoulder = perfect.

Knee is doing pretty good. Too cold to run, but I think I might start doing more air squats or something now. I also might try some bounding down in the basement.. lol.

Steven Low
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Tues: 7.5 hrs

OAC: 1x2.5L, 1x2.5x... thrice each.

Okay so, I failed 3 times trying to get 1x3 OAC each arm. Good part is that I'm fairly close since I can do the 2.5 again. I'll probably work some density maybe tomorrow or Thurs, and then redo max attempt on Fri. Shoulders are feeling great.

3 sets:
5x press hips to head height (past shoulder height)
2x (RTO leaned forward dips -> hollow back press to shoulder stand & back)
Yewkis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGMcEoDbg0) 1x5

Getting the feeling of pressing the hips that high for manna.. still got a bit to go. I should be able to hit the 70-80 degrees I've been doing for pressing the hips fairly soon... but getting that last 10-20 degrees is gonna be a bit of work if the hip pressing is any indication. I still like the integration of this as it tells me how much more I need to go. :)

Rest was pretty good.. definitely getting bigger and stronger. Back up to 132 lbs (although with clothes on). We'll see how I feel tomorrow if I'm gonna work out.

Steven Low
02-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Wed: 3 + 4.5 hrs.. ended up being separated by some awake time, oops.

OAC: Every min on the min 1x1B. 10 rounds.

Ended up having to assist L arm a little on rounds 7-10. R arm was pretty solid. Looks like I still have a fairly decent discrepancy between them. Am going to keep doing L arm first to remedy the problem. Going to aim for 1x3 on Fri.

4 sets:
RTO dip -> 2s adv. tuck PL
Yewkis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGMcEoDbg0) 1x5

Great series of work. I am actually sore in my L glute, lower back and R upper trap from spotting yesterday. Semi-sore in my lats/back overall probably from OAC work yesterday.

Wrist is a bit sore (like overuse sore) so I skipped the mannas. Gonna ice it some & do prehab. Same with the knee -- it's a bit sore. Been moving around a bit more agility-wise just around the house and at work so it's been getting some use.

Steven Low
02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Thurs: 7.5 hrs

Rest.

Helped move some mats around and lift a bunch of stuff so that was my active recovery for the day, hah.

Knee is a bit sore so I'm icing. Wrist feels pretty good after I massaged out my whole forearm and did some specific work on the area. Shoulders = good.

Steven Low
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Fri: 3 +1 hrs. Wow, well, my sleep got broken up and then I couldn't get back to sleep until an hour before I was supposed to wake up.

OAC: 1x1B, 1x3B. 1x3.75(F)ail B, 1x3B

Okay, well, don't have enough time for a full workout so I'm gonna do some supplementary work later. I was surprised I was able to do 1x3, but it was rocking.

First set I MAY have been able to pull 1x4, but I didn't want to chance failure that early which which would kill my other sets. Ended up second sets I got ~3/4 the way up on the 4th rep which was a blower, but overall good progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVvvIY3YCp4

Gonna do some more work tomorrow and see how it turns out... but first is first the later work. Probably some compound sets. Gonna keep avoiding manna for the moment cause I don't wanna restress my R wrist too much.

Steven Low
02-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Sat: 4 hrs + 6 hrs (sleep got broke up) + 1.5 hrs nap. Ugly but effective.

OAC: 1x1B, 5x2B every 90s on 90s.

Once I did the 1x1B warmup I knew I couldn't pull the 4 today so I did some density work. 10 chins/6 mins = 1.67 ratio. Gonna game towards beating ratios everytime I do density work from now on.

4 sets:
rings band assisted 2x (PL -> maltese -> PL)
rings band assisted 2x PL pushup
Yewkis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGMcEoDbg0) 1x4

Finished off with max hold front lever. Got 6s.

R shoulder feeling iffy from the front lever of all things. Gonna massage and ice.

Been massaging wrist, forearms, R knee, etc. just to keep my tissues loose. It's good.

Steven Low
02-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Sun: 6 hrs

Rest.. and try to eat as much as a I can.

edit: I think most of my R shoulder pain has to do with propping my arm up in abduction when holding the mouse. Trying to eliminate this.

Steven Low
02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Mon: 11.5 hrs

OAC: 1x1, 4x3

Second set I got 1x4L and 1x3.5R, on further review - camara - too much kipping to call it a good 1x4. I'll save that for tomorrow or Fri perhaps. Felt overall pretty good across all sets. Wasn't struggling like last week with the 3s really.

1 set:
6 rings HSPUs
2 Cranks (straight body.. slight hollow)

Eh, okay. Shoulder decided it didn't like the cranks so I just stopped. Working on keep my shoulder in position when I type or use the mouse now. Massage and ice.

Um, knee has still been getting work in clinic and at home (getting some good push off stairs and agility work moving around). Feeling a lot stronger day by day. Still trying to limit inflammation though. We'll see about some work tomorrow.. it's getting warmer (like 50s).

Steven Low
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Tues: 8 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC: 1x1, 3x3. Bit of assist for L arm. Short rest times.. 3-5 mins

Also did some random stuff:

~360 pull -- pretty easy
~two 2-3s straddle planches. First was shoddy, second was solid
~rings press handstand is still decent without much training
~Handstand -> elbow lever -> parallel body lower -> back lever (looks pretty sweet)
~almost have the Aguilar muscle up.. haha.

I think I aggravated my supraspinatus so I might have to take a break from OAC. I dunno... we'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Jogged on the knee and did some agility work. Little sore.. gonna ice.

jake oleander
02-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Tues: 8 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC: 1x1, 3x3. Bit of assist for L arm. Short rest times.. 3-5 mins

Also did some random stuff:

~360 pull -- pretty easy
~two 2-3s straddle planches. First was shoddy, second was solid
~rings press handstand is still decent without much training
~Handstand -> elbow lever -> parallel body lower -> back lever (looks pretty sweet)
~almost have the Aguilar muscle up.. haha.

I think I aggravated my supraspinatus so I might have to take a break from OAC. I dunno... we'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Jogged on the knee and did some agility work. Little sore.. gonna ice.

sounds like you could put together a pretty solid strength routine :cool:
you should film one!

Ryan Brown
02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Reading your log always makes me want to include ring strength series in my training.

Steven Low
02-11-2009, 09:43 PM
sounds like you could put together a pretty solid strength routine :cool:
you should film one!

Yeah.. maybe. Family camara though.. don't like bringing it places. I lose it I gotta pay for it. :\

Reading your log always makes me want to include ring strength series in my training.

Do it.

-------------------------------

Weds: 7.5-8 hrs

Mostly just a recovery day. I am subtly sore in the lats and shoulder area.

Did some fast running on my knee for ~125m twice.

Went to the gym to do some rings work.

~tried homna to support... failed.
~tried shoot to handstand... failed. But I got a decent attempt. Think I could get it with more practice
~back uprise 3-4s straddle planche -> 3-4s iron cross. Solid. No shoulder pain!

Demonstrated other stuff.. press handstands, hollow back press handstand, etc.

Overall, my R shoulder is a little tender. Not really painful I think.. just a sore RC. Gonna keep an eye on it though.

Some prehab for wrists. Massage and ice for knee and R shoulder.

Dunno if I'm gonna workout tomorrow. I'll see how I feel then if I'm recovered enough.

Steven Low
02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Thurs: 6 hrs

Decided to rest again. Still feeling somewhat fatigued.

Did a little demonstrating on rings, but nothing of note.

Also, gonna go for the 1x4 tomorrow -- reasonably confident I'm gonna make it. Feeling good... I'll try for the 1x5!

Steven Low
02-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Fri: 3.5 hrs + .5 hrs + 3 hrs

Gonna have to cancel working out today.

Sore for some odd reason + tired from having to get up REALLY early and probably didn't eat enough.

Tomorrow I'm going, and I might go Sunday too. Skip M, and then workout hard Tu & W.

Steven Low
02-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Sat: 4 hrs.. shoddy. Oh well.

OAC: 1x1B, 3x4B

Yes, finally got 1x4... three times! Aiming for 1x5 next week. Right shoulder feels a little funny near the bottom. There's been some clicking but nothing painful. I'll see how it pans out doing some OAC tomorrow. I HOPE I don't have to take a break, but I will if I need to.

Left: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEOcSdwCIzc
Right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2ugvbnEMI

Press to hips at/slightly above head height & hold: 5x15s
Theraband maltese holds: 1x5s (1 black), 5x10s (2 black)

Sigh.. manna progress is soo hard. I feel like this last ~45 degrees is gonna be like cross, maltese, etc. where the first 45 takes like a month or two and then the next 45 degrees takes at least a year if not more.

Maltese was too hard with 1 band loop so I went to 2 with 10s holds. Felt pretty good. Made sure I was flat with camara.

Knee a bit sore from lifting stuff on Thurs/Fri. Icing.

Wrists feel good... R is a little sore because of the manna work today so going to do my prehab work (wrist pushups, modified rice bucket work).

Goals in progress
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~elevator
~manna
~Splits/stretching

Goals on hold
~floor GHR / BW HS curl
~2.5x BW DL, 2x BW squat

Goals completed!
~front lever (12/24/07)

Current PRs
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )

Steven Low
02-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Sun: 8 hrs

OAC: 2/2/1/2/2/1 on the min every minute.

Density = 10 chins/5 mins = 2 chins/min

Previously...
10 chins/9 mins = 1.11 chin/min
10 chins/6 mins = 1.67 chin/min

This was hard. Very hard... especially from the 3x4 yesterday. These chins are seriously draining my recovery big time but the progress is pretty intense.

3 sets of RTO dip -> 2s adv. tuck PL -> press HS -> 5s str. negative to RTO support

Did more knee rehab work... stair negatives. Still a bit sore from Thurs/Fri so I didn't want to push it.

R shoulder a little iffy during the first couple chins but went away. An eye will be kept on it still. Ice & massage.

R wrist is a bit sore from yesterday. No manna for now. Wrist pushups & Ice & massage.

Thinking about a rest break in another couple weeks. Will be sorely needed I suppose.

Steven Low
02-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Mon: 8 hrs

Rest.

Bunch of massage for my knee and shoulder.

Felt a bit of the stress of the OAC pullups still. I can pretty much feel/sense how much I'm overworked which is kind of a little weird.. but it's nice to know how much so I can regulate my workouts better. The muscles just feel exhausted or something.. I dunno how to describe it. :p

Steven Low
02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Tue: 7.5 hrs

freestanding full ROM parallette HSPUs: 3x6
galimores: 3x3

Miscellaneous other demos... forward/backword rolls, RTO support -> back lever, etc.

Ran ~200m on the knee. Soreness is almost gone from Thurs/Fri.. icing & massage. Wrist prehab is good. Shoulder ice & massage.

Fairly light day overall. Might do OAC tomorrow or maybe something else depending on where I workout.

Blair Lowe
02-18-2009, 12:20 AM
You and your damn hspu and gallimores, grr. I am only pleased that you are a gimp. Do you do the full gallimore from FL to straddle planche?

Steven Low
02-18-2009, 08:11 AM
You and your damn hspu and gallimores, grr. I am only pleased that you are a gimp. Do you do the full gallimore from FL to straddle planche?
Of course. I'm actually doing them on rings + extension cables so the straddle planche is a bit shakier than I'm used to, lol.

Yesterday was more of a testing day than anything. Previous without practice I was cracking out 3x4 or 3x5 HSPUs so I know I improved without a bunch of practice which is nice.

Steven Low
02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Weds: 9 hours

Well, I went in today to get some strength done. Hopped up on the rings and could barely hold a front lever (2-3s hold.. good but not anywhere near my regular 8s+ hold). Straddle planche was a bit shaky. Tried a partial one arm, and it was hard as balls.

So anyway, seeing as how I was sleepy after 9 hours of sleep, I do think I'm significantly overreaching. So I'm gonna take off until next Mon.

I am going to do active recovery work everyday like I did today with messing around on rings except with probably light weighted pullups and some other stuff instead.

Ice & massage for shoulder and knee. Rice bucket for wrist. Also, working back in external rotations for shoulders... should've been doing that but I wasn't.

edit: oh yeah, did some running today. Generally, when I ice I run unless it's sore in which case I just ice anyway...

Steven Low
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Thurs: 5 hrs + 2 hrs + 2 hrs

Rest.

No sleep tonight probably... maybe 1 hour. Sigh.

Steven Low
02-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Fri: .5 hrs + 1 + 1 + 1. Horrible.

Helped move around a bunch of stuff at the show.

Other than that, rest. Once I got back home all I could do was pretty much eat and then go to bed.

Going to do the weighted pullups work (20 mins on the min weighted pullups) for recovery tonight.

George Mounce
02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Weds: 9 hours

Well, I went in today to get some strength done. Hopped up on the rings and could barely hold a front lever (2-3s hold.. good but not anywhere near my regular 8s+ hold). Straddle planche was a bit shaky. Tried a partial one arm, and it was hard as balls.

So anyway, seeing as how I was sleepy after 9 hours of sleep, I do think I'm significantly overreaching. So I'm gonna take off until next Mon.

I am going to do active recovery work everyday like I did today with messing around on rings except with probably light weighted pullups and some other stuff instead.

Ice & massage for shoulder and knee. Rice bucket for wrist. Also, working back in external rotations for shoulders... should've been doing that but I wasn't.

edit: oh yeah, did some running today. Generally, when I ice I run unless it's sore in which case I just ice anyway...

Enjoy the rest, you deserve it.