PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Chicken and Pork

Grissim Connery
08-26-2008, 07:15 AM
---

Garrett Smith
08-26-2008, 07:25 AM
From what I have heard regarding Amish meats, go for it.

As for eggs, the deeper the color of the yolk, the better.

Jay Cohen
08-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Try to visit the farm, meet the farmer, look at his animals. If not possible, just buy your meats from NON Industrial farm sources.

Pigs should be out rooting, chickens out pecking the ground for bugs/grubs, cows all happy eating grass and none of these animals should be eating chemicals, hormones or antibiotics.

I do by local range eggs, but don't worry to much about Omega 3 content as I get that from my beef sources.

Eat some Organ Meats, it does the body good.

Grissim Connery
08-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Do people buy hearts and eat them? That seems like the king of organ meats.

Frank Needham
08-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Do people buy hearts and eat them? That seems like the king of organ meats.

We buy chicken hearts and liver occasionally. They're quite good and a nice change-up meal from beef, pork, etc. I like to cook them in lots of fat with plenty of seasonings.

Mike ODonnell
08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Eat some Organ Meats, it does the body good.

need that on a t-shirt

Jay Cohen
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
need that on a t-shirt

Good point, might have to check out Cafe Press to get a few made.

Darryl Shaw
08-29-2008, 05:41 AM
From what I have heard regarding Amish meats, go for it.

As for eggs, the deeper the color of the yolk, the better.

The colour of the yolk can be misleading as chickens often have E161i citranaxanthin added to their feed to produce a bright yellow yolk.

Garrett Smith
08-29-2008, 06:46 AM
You're right, Darryl.

If I was buying eggs from an Amish farmer, I'd pretty much trust that the deeper-colored yolks meant more time in the pasture feeding.

When I see the egg carton at my Trader Joe's that advertises "The eggs with the golden yolk", I make sure NOT to buy those.

Scott Kustes
09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Listen to Jay.

And the brighter color in the yolks indicates a higher beta-carotene content (vitamin A precursor).

Scott Kustes
09-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, chickens have livers. Here's the thing about the liver. Yes, it is a filter. No, it doesn't just store toxins. An animal raised on pasture, not loaded up with hormones and antibiotics...basically a properly raised animal, will have a clean liver, much like yourself. The liver filters and EXCRETES toxins. Only when the daily bombardment is too much for the liver will there be issues, such as when an animal is raised in a confinement operation. If the liver didn't excrete toxins, we'd all be overloaded in short order.

So livers from pastured chickens and cows are good. In fact, they are probably the most healthful meat you can eat. Livers from confinement chickens and cows....avoid them.

As for cooking them inside the chicken...I can't see why not, though I've never done it.

Liam Dougherty Springer
02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
I couldn't find anything around the threads on grass fed pork I get my pork localy but the farm is pretty darn big the pigs are pasture raised year round but they are fed grain I know of a farm near by that grows veggie gadens specificaly for the pigs to root in however here http://texasgrassfedbeef.com/id78.htm you can get 100% grass fed pork Many of you may know of this site but I am interested in trying some has anyone here had this?

Jay Cohen
02-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Liam;

Interesting, but at some point, cost vs hype becomes a factor. When I bought my pig off a local farmer, I met the family and their pigs. Yep, they did feed some grains, but for the most part, the pigs just rooted around in the pastures, and BTW, there isn't any grass, just packed dirt, as pigs can root/tear up soil as only a John Deere could hope to do.

The pigs did NOT receive any added chemicals or medicines in their diet, so I felt it was pretty good meat, and fully processed, sitting in my freezer, price was under 2.00 bucks a lb and the pig dressed out at 230 lbs.

Now my farmer that raises my beef and has 12 piglets ready for slaughter next month, says I'll be able to taste the diff in his meats as he feeds better then the folks I bought from last time, we'll see and I'll get more information later.

Try as hard as you can, even if you have to make a couple hundred mile road trip to find local farmers raising great meats and veggies. I will be a great story, you'll meet new people AND you'll be supporting local raised foods, not the big chains or Internet guys.

Just my two cents.

Jay

Patrick Yeung
02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I buy the bulk of my groceries from the weekly farmers markets, and this asian grocery store.

I know many of the farmers, and how they raise their animals/vegetables, so I get pretty lucky. But, seriously... I cooked someone an omlette using organic eggs, and now they wont eat anything other than organic eggs.

As far as organs go, you cant beat asian supermarkets. Theyll have every part of an animal there, no waste. I can even buy solid cakes of cooked blood from cow or pork, bags of chicken hearts, legs, liver, gizzard, etc.

If youve got one around, you should check em out. They are usually very fresh as well, unlike most grocery stores because of the high turn over rate of those items.

Id never buy fish from a Ralphs, or stater bros.

Liam Dougherty Springer
02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Liam;
Try as hard as you can, even if you have to make a couple hundred mile road trip to find local farmers raising great meats and veggies. I will be a great story, you'll meet new people AND you'll be supporting local raised foods, not the big chains or Internet guys.

Just my two cents.

Jay

Yeah I know you will always keep me on the good path.... I am gonna go down to a farm about 200 miles away funny you chose that number and get my dairy beef pork eggs its the one I described were they have veggie gardens specialy for the pigs I have already spoken to the lady and the family that owns it is just awsome. I am probably gonna try this site out however as I am paying as much or more for my local and grass fed meats from whole foods.

As soon as I get a car or can find some one willing to drive me I am going down to the farm though and hope to set up a by monthly trip. I have aquired an extra fridge in my garage for dairy and eggs and have a stand alone freezer ariving mid march.

Still for internet meat sites this one is pretty cool I am gonna get my cat some food as well.

Scott Hanson
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I couldn't find anything around the threads on grass fed pork I get my pork localy but the farm is pretty darn big the pigs are pasture raised year round but they are fed grain I know of a farm near by that grows veggie gadens specificaly for the pigs to root in however here http://texasgrassfedbeef.com/id78.htm you can get 100% grass fed pork Many of you may know of this site but I am interested in trying some has anyone here had this?

Liam,

I don't know of anyone within a 200 mile radius of me that raises grass-fed or "natural" pigs (too cold and dry to raise them efficiently on pasture in eastern Idaho). I ordered some from Slankers (texasgrassfedbeef.com) a few weeks ago. It's quite good. Although he's an "internet guy", he seems to be a zealous proponent of grass-fed animals. You actually have to call and talk to Mr. Slanker to order, and he's a nice guy. Service was great. I bought mostly cheaper cuts like butts, shoulders, fresh hams, and they've been very good. I'll continue to patronize my local farmers as much as possible (beef, lamb), but I had a hankering for some pig and I'll definitely order from Slanker's again. I also got some macadamia nut oil which is great for cooking (very high mono, very high smoke point, although I generally don't cook at high temps).

Jay,

I think you live in the promised land when it comes to local meat.