PDA

View Full Version : Ring Dips vs. Bar Dips

Kevin Perry
08-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Which one would technically build better overall strength?

Im guessing ring dips would but im assuming both should be used as equally. Just curious.

Steven Low
08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Rings.

Anything you can do on the bar, the rings is better with (except deadhang muscle ups). Better overall recruitment.

It's funny/odd because the same applies for DB as compared to BB for something like bench. But since rings lets you manipulate your body in space compared to moving an external weight it tends to come out superior... Most likely due to increased neurological activity/proprioception with bodyweight exercises.

Craig Loizides
09-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Has anyone tried dips on a single bar or on top of a pullup bar? I first tried them about a year ago on vacation when the only piece of exercise equipment I could find was a swing set. I find them to be harder than ring dips.

Steven, do you do most of your dips on rings? I saw you post a pretty big weighted dip recently.

Steven Low
09-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Weighted dips at home I do on parallel bars because I have the setup for that. If I had the space for weighted rings dips I would do that instead.

My maxes are:
weighted dips: +170 lbs (~6-8 weeks ago)
weighted rings dips: +150-155 lbs (~16 weeks ago IIRC)

Once you try rings dips you'll see that as you get the poundages up that they become really stable (except in the bottom portion of the dip).

Bar dips (horizontal bar) are much like bulgarian dips which Coach Sommer put out an article on. Go read it on his site... http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/routine/archives.html

Craig Loizides
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks.

Here's the link for Bulgarian dips.
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513

Kevin Perry
09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Very strong dips there Steven.

Steven Low
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah. Actually, last cycle I did with them (hitting 170 lbs) basically my triceps insertion tendon/bone started to get sore so I stopped doing them. Gotta be careful with the elbows as the weight comes up much like you would have to with OAC work.

Otherwise, working up to heavy weight is just a matter of hard work (and good programming preferably).

Ben Reynolds
07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I went to the gym to do my bare minimum circuit of pullups, bar dips, and squats. I could manage 20+ of bar dips per set. Some old crossfitter was dipping on rings across the gym, managing only 10 reps per set. Out of curiosity, I asked the guy if I could try the rings for a set. He was kind enough to oblige. I managed to push out 5 reps in horrible form. I could only do 1/4 of the reps I regularly performed on bars. I haven't done bar dips since. My strength and overall upper body definition have improved in leaps and bounds since ring training.

Blair Lowe
07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
some testing I did showed a ratio of about 2:1 that possibly could be trimmed down to 3:2 or 4:3 if you were very competent on rings.

Steven Low
07-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I agree... probably closer to 4:3 or 5:4 with competency on rings.

Maybe I'll test this one day for you guys. :p

Mike ODonnell
07-15-2009, 12:30 PM
My maxes are:
weighted dips: +170 lbs (~6-8 weeks ago)
weighted rings dips: +150-155 lbs (~16 weeks ago IIRC)

Damn....What are you...like 115lbs of bodyweight? Crap....drink some beer already. :P

Steven Low
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Damn....What are you...like 115lbs of bodyweight? Crap....drink some beer already. :P
I'm up to 190 lbs on the parallel bar dip now. at 135 lbs. :)

Jesse Woody
08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
And we all hate you for it ;)