PDA

View Full Version : IFing for Ramadan

Philip Stablein
09-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Looking to do 28 days of IF. I did it for a few days last Ramadan, but then I was injured in a car accident, and decided to eat, and make up the fasts later in the year (which I did with random IF days).

This year, like last year, I have no intention of being in a collision, but I am curious how 28 straight days of IF will work. My eating window is projected to be short though....6:30 to 11pm.

As I found out last year, not interrupting sleep to eat makes the whole fasting thing quite a bit more manageable.

So... Is IF for 28 days a good idea? Most of what I have read stresses the "intermittent" part, being more randomized. Can I get my (90% paleo) calories in ~5 hours?

(edit: I realized this is my first post...been lurking over a year though)

Derek Weaver
09-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Wait, are you doing this for religious reasons or just to do it?

I'd say... try it. If you start dragging and don't feel well then it's not a good idea. Lots of fat makes up calories quick if that's a major concern.

Philip Stablein
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Haha, good point Derek. My fiancee is Muslim, so I am fasting as well. I've fasted before for the month, but previously the pattern was: wake up at 4:45 am, eat, go back to sleep (poorly) for a little, then continue with the day, breaking the fast during the evening. However, I found this to be unpleasant for several reasons. First I was hungry all day, second, the sleep I got was bad and interrupted, and thirdly...well back then I didnt know how to eat. Last year was my first year with CF/paleo/good things, but my IF was aborted due to the injury.

If I start dragging, I will expand my eating window a little bit. Otherwise...time to go get some coconut milk!

Thanks for your feedback though.

Derek Weaver
09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Nice of you to fast along with your fiancee. I would think that if you worked at it, you'd have no problem getting calories in with a 6 hour window.

Plenty of people around fast for 18 hour or so on average... maybe not everyday, but it can be done.

I'm interested to see how you're doing at the end of the month... please keep us informed on your experience.

Scott Kustes
09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I fast most days around 18 hours, at least 5 days a week most weeks. I've found no issues with it.

Philip Stablein
09-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Aye Scott, I've followed your blog for many months. I knew you did long fasts, but the 5 days a week thing. Hrm.

I will periodically update this thread with my experiences. Ramadan ends on Sept 30th. Thus far, 2 days, no problems, no lack of energy (i'll put my workout log link in my sig now)

Oh, and the strict Ramadan fast involves no water consumption during the fast. However, I have never liked the idea (or the sensations) of dehydration, so I've drank water during my fasts, and intend to do the same this year. However, I make sure I am not chugging water to keep myself feeling full, just enough to maintain healthy water levels.

Derek Weaver
09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I prefer longer fasts myself... 16 on the short side, 20+ on the long side. Anywhere from 2-5 days/week... sometimes I'll go 7 days in a row.

I'm definitely interested in seeing 28 straight days at 18 or so hours. I look forward to seeing how things go.

Allen Yeh
09-03-2008, 05:54 AM
I think a 28 day stretch of 18 hour fasting will be fine. Things to look out for are a decrease in performance, body temperature being colder than usual, stuff like that.

6 hours is plenty to get in quality calories.

Scott Kustes
09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Hell, I usually pull off 3000 calories in 3-6 hours.

Derek Weaver
09-03-2008, 12:47 PM
That is some serious and determined eating Scott.

I find that I can get more calories in a shorter amount of time with longer fasts... if I've been active all day. By the time I get to eat I can shovel in a ton of food and don't realize how much "damage" I've done on my food stocks.

Scott Kustes
09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Well, about 60% of that is fat, so you're looking at 200g of fat coming from oils and meat. Add in about 25% protein and 15% carbs and I'm packed to the gills, but not uncomfortably so. Just pleasantly full.

Philip Stablein
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Thus far, pretty good. I could not swing 30 straight days of fasting though. I am eating normally (paleo + some cheese) for 1 day out of every 7-10. No odd feelings, and no performance decreases, although I suspect they might be hard to detect immediately. Pretty standard IF format and results. Eating window is a bit small, about 6:30 to 10-11, but glugging some olive oil along with 2 large meals seems to be covering me just fine, hardly feeling hungry.

Lost about 4lbs thus far, which was not my intent, but since it seems to have been fat loss, who can complain.

Philip Stablein
09-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Weight maintaining at 188lbs, which is nice.

2 out of 3 days, I manage to get all my food before bed, in the 6:30-11 window. Sometimes I don't feel like eating a lot, and have a quick snack at 4:30am.

Energy has been good. Plenty of strength and gymnastics work getting done, and some short metcons. I have a national tournament for Australian Rules football on Oct 10th, so I'd like to be able to do some more sprinting with my training time, but that is limited as much by space/environment as by eating patterns.

But really...the whole IF thing is a lot less troublesome that I/most people anticipate. I just have to remember to chew my food real well and not just inhale it.