PDA

View Full Version : i am so sick of eating...

Yael Grauer
12-24-2006, 11:38 AM
It looks like I've been eating the same damn thing for months on end:

breakfast: eggs, or eggs and bacon, or a shake with raw milk/raw eggs/berries
lunch: salad with salmon or tuna, some kinda homemade dressing and kimchee
dinner: beef or chicken with some veggie or other
snacks: nuts, avocados, fruit, sometimes carrots with almond butter
high carb day: sweet potatoes and such and less protein

Anyways, I'm pretty tired of this and need some variety. Suggestions?

Steve Liberati
12-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Yael,
The food possiblities are limitless. I mean there is so many different meals you can make and experiment with I don't even know where to tell you to start. If you're a salad person like myself - you can throw all kinds of different stuff in a bowl in order to karal your taste buds. Fried red onions, tomatoes, veggies, calamari rings, olive oil, spices, etc the list can go on and on. Check out some of Art DeVaney's concouctions....he has a lot of tasty suggestions.
The key to it all is creativity. Pick out your favorite foods and just play "kitchen." Have fun with it.

Yael Grauer
12-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I love making salads but they are always the same: spinach or lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, a little kimchee. I guess I could actually use that Weston Price cookbook I bought. :rolleyes:

I guess I just really miss all the food I used to make in the past...minestrone, lasagne, dal, chili with corn masa dumplings, burritos, paella, rice croquettes, quiche, tamales, couscous, tabouleh, Thai noodle salad...not to mention rice pudding and pancakes and all that.

I've been trying to buy different veggies whenever I see 'em but can't get over the feeling that meat, veggies and salad is just not as much fun. :(

Eva Claire Synkowski
12-24-2006, 04:31 PM
yael - have you tried almond flour for the panackes, etc? ive been meaning to order some (http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/flour.html) and looks like a good paleo sub for baked goods.

and youve likely tried it too, but boiled spaghetti squash, and then using a fork make "noodles" is a pretty good sub in noodle dishes.

Yael Grauer
12-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks, yeah I have some recipes from Lucy's Non-Specific Carbohydrate Diet or whatever it's called that I've played with... but almond flour is expensive and I like baking ALL THE TIME. Or I used to...

That is funny about the noodles. I first saw people doing that at a raw foods cult I visited. Maybe I just need to play with more stews and soups or something. I just bought a ton of sunchokes for variety.

I just miss my house smelling of minestrone or fresh-baked bread or chocolate-chip cookies in the winter. Now it smells like...salmon and spinach, or something. :(

If anybody knows any good paleo comfort food, please share. I'll buy some more P-Menu back issues too.

Frank Needham
12-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Well, since you like meat, and you like salad, why not meat salads....otherwise known as chef salads. You can put any kind of meat in salads and they are quite tasty that way. Chuck in some nuts or other crunchies for texture differences and you're good to go. Krikey!! now I'm hungry!!

Neal Winkler
12-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, hopefully it comes back up but this page had more recipes than you would know qhat to do with.

paleofood.com

Bobby Spencer
12-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Why not just go ahead and eat your lasagne or cookies every now and then. Maybe once a month or so. Depending on how long you've been eating Paleo or just plain healthy, you'll probably barely be able to stomach them anyway which will probably make them easier to resist in the future. All of my friends know how meticulous I am about my food, but on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, I eat what everyone else is eating. I am usually so sick the next day that all I need are those 3 days per year of eating like "everybody else".

I would like to try those Paleo Thanksgiving recipes though.

Yael Grauer
12-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Actually I had some microwave lasagna the other day at my friend's house who I'm catsitting for, and it just makes things worse! Wheat makes me super depressed for some reason. Then I spend the next day trying to figure out why I'm so depressed until I put 2 and 2 together. So I think wheat makes me really slow, too. Next time I'm craving it I'll substitute quinoa or something, or at least presoak it...

Maybe I'll try minestrone without the shells, it's mostly the spices and things that smell yummy, right?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I'll try to come up with some creative recipes soon to keep everything varied and yummy...

Mike ODonnell
12-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Actually I had some microwave lasagna the other day at my friend's house who I'm catsitting for, and it just makes things worse! Wheat makes me super depressed for some reason. Then I spend the next day trying to figure out why I'm so depressed until I put 2 and 2 together. So I think wheat makes me really slow, too. Next time I'm craving it I'll substitute quinoa or something, or at least presoak it...

Minus the cat sitting I agree with you....if I have a heavy carb meal...I am basically slower, more tired, brain fog, not motivated, can't really focus much....and yes depression can happen because of all of the above....so I try to stay away from even during the holiday season....I find that meats, fats, eating light and a little hungry with a shot of expresso makes me super focused....and as soon as I add the carbs.....slllloooooowwwwwwweerrrrrrrrrr

PS. Guiness is not a carb....it is life blood.

Yael Grauer
12-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Strangely enough, massive amounts of sugar don't make me depressed, but one bagel will do the trick. It's weird.

Mike ODonnell
12-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I can tell a difference between a "brain fog" from carbs....and a "blood sugar" drop.....usually #1 comes if it's carbs that are not high in sugar,.......#2 comes from the high sugar kind....cause it's quick energy then the crash....either way....carbs not my friend...unless pwo....I need more DHA for me brain..

Nicki Violetti
12-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Try doing some curries with coconut milk...and other soups. Soup is awesome comfort food...warm and tasty. And you can vary it up a bunch.

Yael Grauer
12-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Good call Nicki! Also, maybe lamb balls will be a good sub for dumplings. I think that's what I'm really missing... corn maza dumplings, chicken dumplings, butter bean dumplings, potato dumplings, samosas, matzah ball soup...

Also I need to find something to replace the noodles in my minestrone...

Mike--I think it's different than the gluten allergy. Actually I had a house guest once that had a hardcore gluten allergy and he would feel worse if he ate whole wheat, whereas I'd feel better. So we decided his was an allergy and mine was a blood sugar thing. I never realized how awful it made me feel emotionally until I stopped... It makes me wonder if I used to feel like that all the time?

Joyce Behrendt
12-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I follow almost the same eating formula, Yael. You can have endless possibilities using different herbs or thinking about ethnic flavors.

I make minestrone without any grains. I use grass-fed beef or even ground beef. Then add some beef broth (homemade is really good, but only if you have time to simmer the bone for hours). I add one can of tomatoes and then either swiss chard or kale and some red peppers, celery, mushrooms, green beans and whatever else. I use some Italian herb blend and garlic. It freezes well in individual serving sizes.

I also make a fajita skillet with chicken, peppers and onion. I add lots of cumin, chile powder and cilantro and just eat it as is.

Thai food is so good when you add some basil, green chiles, cilantro, wheat-free Tamari sauce and sesame oil to stir-fry combinations. I use ground meat to save prep time. Chicken, green beans, mushrooms and basil is a good combination. Or you can do a soup version with these ingredients and flavors and just add some chicken broth. I love bok choy in it too.

I often search the foodnetwork.com for recipes using a certain ingredient. Surprisingly, many recipes can be used as-is or you can just get inspiration.

I used to enjoy baking too. Oh well!