PDA

View Full Version : Michell's log

Michell Kaarne
09-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Trying to type up something at least semi-interesting to start of this log while shoving my mouth with Cheerioes and yoghurt. I’m at the end of my 4th strict week on the AD and started my carb-load last night at 20:00 instead of this morning. Going to go for a 48h load this weekend.

Ok, since I couldn’t come up with anything clever to write let’s just start with some basic background stuff:

29 year old Swedish male living in a southern suburb of Stockholm with my girlfriend and our son who turns two in December.

I’ve wanted to have a log that I could access online for a while now, and as I’ve just changed up my workout schedule to fit my lunch breaks this was as good a time as any. I also think that posting on a public forum might get me to push myself a bit more.

Right now I have a one hour lunch break and a gym with Olympic bars, bumper plates etc at work so I’m trying to do a 5/2 split with short and intense workouts.

Feel free to critique my grammar and spelling if you feel I’m butchering your language. :D

Stats

171cm, 5'7''
66-69kg, 146-152lb (I think…)
Body fat around 14% maybe. Can see my upper two abs through the fat, sometimes I can even see my obloquies and almost my upper four, albeit I need to set the mood with some careful lighting and a water draining workout.This was supposed to be
A log of my experience working out on a 5/2 split while on the Anabolic diet. I want to mix metcons/gpp-drills with ME days and some gymnastic moves, but most of all I want to have fun working out.

However. I ended up joining an Olympic lifting club and am building my training around my workouts there instead. As soon as I feel I have adapted to this training I may start adding in some lunch-break metcons again. For now, I have oly lifting on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. I do some Planche and Front Lever work a few hours before that. At the club I do what the coaches tell me but it goes something like this:

C&J or Snatch day:
1 – 2 limited rom drills with lighter weight (hang variations etc), something like 5 sets with low reps
5 sets (some times more), low reps of the full lift
3-5 sets of the lifts shrug variation
Then 5 sets, 3-5 reps of front/back squats

I don’t worry about weight/rest. I rest until they tell me to lift and add weight when they tell me to add weight. I write down what I remember when I get home.

After that it’s kind of free for all but they do want me to work lower back and abs. Pull-ups and dips seem to make them happy also witch is fine with me :D.

Stuff not in my log
Water: 2-4 litres a day.
Coffee: 1-2 cups of black coffee a day.
Supplements: I use a quality vitamin & mineral supplement and a teaspoon of creatine monohydrate from time to time as a pick-me-up.
Warm-up: I like jump rope, mobility drills, Crossfit type warm-ups or just using the lift I’m about to perform with light weights.

Michell Kaarne
09-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Monday 15 SeptemberFran Rx'd 23m18sMy first Fran ever! :) After the first 6 reps I failed to do a 7th thruster and thought I'd gone for too much weight. Was about to lower it but figured I should just push through and see how far I could go. Ended up finishing it eventually!

Diet
4 cans of tuna
450g frozen spinach
2tbs mayo
13tbs evoo
Tuesday 16 SeptemberME Squat CleanFrom Full extension 5x20kg 3x22.5kg
From Hang 5x25kg 5x35kg 5x50kg
From Floor Failed repeated reps at 60kg
Hang shrug 5x60kg
From Floor 3x50kg
From Full extension 5x20kg
It's painfully obvious I need to find someone to teach me a proper clean. I have no way of recording myself atm but I think I am reverse curling rather then pulling under and not getting to full extension before doing so. I also have a really hard time getting under the bar as the weight gets closer to BW. I'll try to get to the local olympic club this weekend and see if they'll let me join. I'll try to work on my 3rd pull from full extension and hang to shrug with a broomstick at home.

Diet
150g feta cheese
750g ground beef
600g string beans
6tbs evoo

Wednesday 17 SeptemberReally sore from the previous two days so I warmed up and did Ross Enamait's GPP#1 from Infinite Intensity as active recovery.GPP#1 AMRAP

Burpees x 30s
Jumping Jacks x 30s
High Knee Dumbbell Press (5lb) x 30s
Shadow Box x 30s
Repeat entire circuit 5 times without restBeen a few months since I last tried this and I really had to fight to finish it. Would have liked to do more work each round but I know I'll do much better next time.Had time for a mini core circuit2 rounds
DB Side bend 5x30kg (per side)
Back extension x10
Russian twist on an ab-bench 8x5kg (per side)

Diet
500g salmon
125g mozzarella
800g frozen broccoli
9tbs evoo
3tbs butter

Thursday 18 SeptemberReally sore today. I was thinking of moving this workout to Fridays lunch break and do that days metcon after work but I got in an argument with a co-worker just before my lunch break and needed to let off steam :)ME Deadlift5x50kg 5x65kg 5x80kg
3x95kg 3x105kg 3x110kg
Failed 115kg
Took 21 minutes. Will rest more next time...

Diet
4 cans of tuna
450g frozen spinach
14tbs evoo

Friday 19 SeptemberThe Chief scaled PC to 50kg/110lb15 rounds total (3,3,3,3,3).Pulse was 200bpm right after, 1 minute later 170, 2m150, 3m145. Don't remember in-between rounds.

Diet
100g feta cheese
750g ground beef
3tbs butter

After 8pm
Multi grain Cheerios with natural yoghurt
Slice of beef pie
3 mini ice-cream cones
Crunchy cereal with yoghurt

Michell Kaarne
09-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Saturday 20 September

Woke up full of energy and almost no soreness at all! I was expecting to wake up in pain after this week but there is none. Thought that the food choices of last night and today would put me in a sugar coma but they haven’t…weird.

About the diet

This weekend is my third carb-up since going on the Anabolic Diet for real. I was kind of doing it for two weeks prior to starting but once I read through the articles on stronglifts.com (http://www.stronglifts.com) (safe) and the first 30 or so pages of the HUGE thread over at t-mag I got a bit more serious.

I count everything I eat (and drink) during the the low-carb days, but on the weekends I just eat. A lot.

I did the 12 day break-in at 2800 calories and then took it down to 2600 for the following two weeks. 2600 feels good so I’m going to stay there for at least two more weeks. I have no idea what I’m taking in over the weekends but I don’t care as my waist keeps shrinking and I look a bit bigger. Did I say I feel great? I do.

Both previous carb-ups were pretty much rice pasta and bread but this time I had a huge craving for cereal and it seems to be working out nice. Will have to see how this week goes of course, maybe I’m not that carb sensitive.

Diet, or lack there of…
More cheerios and yoghurt
More cereal and…yoghurt
Mascarpone ice cream
Beef pie
Thin crust pizza
Loads of candy

I do however feel a bit stuffed now. It's 10:30pm here so I have been loading for 28 hours and I don't feel like carbing untill 8pm tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll keep it to 36 hours this weekend after all and just get up early for a big bowl of cheerios :D

Michell Kaarne
09-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Sunday 21 September
Went by the local oly club but it was closed so I mailed the head coach when I got home.

Ended up carbing today after all... :rolleyes:

Diet
Cheerios and yoghurt
Cheerios and yoghurt
Full grain pasta with ground beef and crème-fraiche
Cheerios and yoghurt
2 ham & cheese pirogues
2 beef, eggs & olive pirogues
A tiny tiramisu
A hand full of Milk duds

Did feel a bit lower then yesterday tho I still felt like working out, can't wait for tomorrow.

Michell Kaarne
09-22-2008, 11:44 PM
<B>Monday 22 September
Magic 50
5 circuits of:
5 DB Snatches / arm (20kg)
5 DB Swings / arm (20kg)
10 Burpees
Rest 60s

Took 13m27s
Farmerswalk 2x30kg DB
40s 30s 20s 10s

Diet
550g beef steak
800g cauliflower
½ cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic
5tbs evoo

Tuesday 23 September
Morning:
Tuck planche 10s 8s 10s 10s
Advanced tuck lever 15s 15s

Lunch:
Advanced tuck lever 20s 6s

ME bench press
5x20kg 5x35kg 5x50kg 3x60kg 3x65kg 3x70kg
(last set was really 3 singles with 1-2 sec rest in rack)

After work:
Elevated tuck planche pushups 3x5 (anyhow)
Inverted hang row 1x3 (rings)
Tuck lever row 1x3 1x5 (rings)

Diet
150g Feta cheese
750g Ground beef
600g String beans
6tbs evoo

Wednesday 24 September
No workout. Want to be fresh on Thursday

Diet
500g salmon
100g cheese
1000g broccoli
9tbs evoo
3tbs butter

Thursday 25 September
Didn’t make it to the oly club after all… L

Diet
150g feta cheese
750g ground beef
1000g broccoli
2tbs evoo
3tbs butter

Friday 26 September
Morning:
Adv(mostly) tuck planche
10s 8s 10s 10s 10s

Lunch:
ADV TUCK LEVER
15s 15s

Tabata Something Else
Pull-ups 10 7 5 4 3 3 1 1 = 34
Push-ups 15 11 9 7 6 6 5 6 = 65
Sit-ups 13 12 8 9 9 10 8 7 = 76
Squats 15 14 14 15 14 14 13 14 = 113
Total = 288

Diet
240g smoked kabanoss
6 eggs
250g beef steak
125g mozzarella
3tbs butter
3tbs vegetable oil
</B>

Frank Needham
09-23-2008, 04:53 AM
A log of my experience working out on a 5/2 split while on the Anabolic diet. I want to mix metcons/gpp-drills with ME days and some gymnastic moves, but most of all I want to have fun working out.

Sounds like good goals to me. Welcome aboard Michell and you can't possibly do worse with the language than we do. I'd wager that you speak more than your native tongue and ours right?

Allen Yeh
09-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Welcome to the board.

I also think that posting on a public forum might get me to push myself a bit more.

It took me a while to do it but posting your goals on a public forum will help push yourself a lot more. Best of luck.

Michell Kaarne
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome. :)

Sounds like good goals to me. Welcome aboard Michell and you can't possibly do worse with the language than we do. I'd wager that you speak more than your native tongue and ours right?

I do have more specific goals but this is really what I want to do right now. I wish I knew more languages...

It took me a while to do it but posting your goals on a public forum will help push yourself a lot more. Best of luck.

I think, the fact that likeminded people can pop in and look at your progress and thoughts is kind of a psychological kick in the ass. It's like someone is always watching... :)

Michell Kaarne
09-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I got a mail from the oly club. I'm going to train with them on Thursday!!!

Michell Kaarne
09-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Week in re-viewThis week went by a bit too fast. I had next to zero soreness all week but I also missed two workouts. I’m not going to make up for it this weekend though as I didn’t feel strong at all this week. I didn’t feel recovered when I started warming up for M50 on Monday so the workout was tough, especially the burpees. Tuesday was a bit better considering I haven’t benched in over a year. I’m hoping for a PR next time. In contrast, the push-up part of Tabata Something Else was a surprise. I rarely do them but two weeks ago I dropped down a few times and did 20 easy. Around 25 they started getting hard so I think I could have pushed to 35-40 but during Fridays workout I could only get to 15 on the first interval. Next week will be intresting…

Diet update More red meat this week. Cals around 2600/day. Started carb-up at 8:00am today and will end at 8:00pm tomorrow. Waist and weight were both up this morning but I have a lot of food in my system atm...I did eat a lot of fibre Monday-Thursday but I also switched my hours at work which messed things up a bit.

Waist and weight
5/9 31.10” 66.6kg
13/9 30.71” 67kg
19/9 30.51” N/A
27/9 31.5” 67.2kg

My forearms, shoulders, chest, back and quads look a little bigger and more defined but my gut looks same as ever. I think I’ll go at least two more weeks at 2600 during the week (and “free for all” on the weekends). I don’t want to jump the gun and change things up more then I already have.

Derek Simonds
09-27-2008, 04:48 AM
Just saw your log for the first time. Welcome to the forum. Training with the local Olympic Lifting Club will be fantastic.

I agree with posting goals. Making them public changes everything. Best of luck.

George Mounce
09-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Welcome!

Good to see the change away from Cheerios towards red meat!

Michell Kaarne
09-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Just saw your log for the first time. Welcome to the forum. Training with the local Olympic Lifting Club will be fantastic.

I agree with posting goals. Making them public changes everything. Best of luck.

Welcome!

Good to see the change away from Cheerios towards red meat!

Thanks guys! :)

Really psyched about the athletic club, can't wait. I won’t give up my Cheerios just yet though…at least they are the multigrain kind… ;)

Michell Kaarne
09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Saturday 27 September
Woke up a little sore but feeling great the first few hours. Around lunch I started to looze energy. I got irritated and the soreness got worse with every hour. I should have eaten more food and less sugar tbh…

(Die)t
Bran flakes & yoghurt
2 sandwiches
Mini ice cream cone
Bran flakes & yoghurt
Mini ice cream cone
Cupcake batter
3 cupcakes, no frosting (as if that makes it better)
Loads of beef tacos and few nachos
Milk duds

Sunday 28 September
Kept my blood sugar I check today. A lot less sore, much better energy. Not fully recovered yet but I’m hoping I will be tomorrow.

Diet
Bran flakes & yoghurt
Burger & fries
Chocolate & oatmeal treat
Roasted garlic-chicken & baked sweet potatoes
2 huge bananas

Rant…
For now I am putting off posting Steven Low type goals as I really just want to have fun with it for a while. I’m taking a few weeks/months to try whichever workout I feel like doing while getting some benchmark times and checking my 1-5RM in a few lifts. If I manage to get stronger, leaner and better conditioned doing this, great. If in two months I have a >2xBW dead lift, 5-10s straddle planche, <10%BF and <5m Fran, awesome!

Michell Kaarne
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Monday 29 September
Morning:
Advanced Tuck Planche (low hips) ~10s
Air frog (frogstand without knees on elbows) 8s 10s
Tuck Planche 10s

Lunch:
Air frog 5s
Tuck planche ?s
Advanced Tuck Front Lever 15s 15s

ME Bench press
47.5kgx3 50kgx3 60kgx3 65kgx3
70kgx1 75kgx1 80kgx1*

*Got a guy to spot me for the 80kg rep. He swears he didn’t help me with the rep but he reached for the bar mid-rep and it felt lighter then it should. Got a bit pissed and tried another rep on my own after 60 seconds and failed…should have waited 5 minutes…

Straddle lever (bent back) 5s

After work:
Short neck-workout.

Diet
408g beef steak
6 large eggs
4 avocados
1tbs butter
4tbs evoo

Tuesday 30 September
Morning:
ADV Tuck Front Lever 25s
Straddle Front Lever 15s 15s
Air frog 8s

Lunch:
Was stupid enough to try and show off for a mate.
Straddle Front Lever to Bent arm Front Lever and back to Straddle FL. Twice.
30s later my traps started get sore.

After work:
Went to the Olympic Lifting Club for my first workout with them. It was awesome!

Don’t remember weights/sets/reps but we did tons of C&J followed by slow cleans from the floor to full extension (clean shrugs?) and then 5x5 back squat. Finished with some core work.

Diet
500g salmon
450g spinach
226g hamburger
100g cheese
2tbs butter
2tbs rapeseed oil
4tbs evoo
1tbs fishoil

Wednesday 1 October
Lunch:
Jumprope + bag work 4x3min

Diet
800g ground beef
450g spinach
100g cheese
1tbs butter
1tbs rapeseed oil
4tbs evoo

Michell Kaarne
10-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Thursday 2 October
After work:
Snatch workout at the club.

We did: Hang snatch. Bar behind neck drop to squatsnatch. Full snatch. Snatch shrugs. Don’t remember sets and reps…was too busy learning…

Backsquat: 60kgx5 70x3 80x2 85xfail 85x1
60x5 60x5 60x5

Finished with some sit-ups, dips, side bends and snatch grip behind the neck press.

Diet
408g beef steak
6 large eggs
4 avocados
1tbs butter
4tbs evoo
1tbs fishoil

Michell Kaarne
10-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Friday 3 October
No workout. Needed an extra rest day.

Diet
332g beef steak
240g smoked kabanoss
8 large eggs
600g string beans
1tbs butter
1tbs rapeseed oil
6tbs evool

Michell Kaarne
10-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Olympic lifting update
So, I did a C&J workout on Tuesday and a snatch workout Thursday. Both at the Olympic lifting club.

I LOVED IT!

Previously I have done some ballistic lifts with kettlebells and dumbbells, plus a few power cleans with the Olympic bar, but learning the C&J and snatch from a professional coach is so much more fun and challenging. Working out with a group of guys who all want to build maximum strength, explosiveness and technique is completely new to me, at least in the gym. It’s kind of like martial arts practice. :D

I’m able to train with them on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays so I’ll have to build the rest of my training around that as soon as I adapt to it. I still want to work on the planche and front lever as well as some high-rep met-con/gpp.

I’ve had a hard time remembering sets/reps/weights after the workouts. I’m so concentrated on doing what coach says. Weights are kept low though. Funny thing is they are letting me add weight and complementing my technique even though I’m a beginner. I was sure they would give me a broomstick and then critique the hell out of me but coach says he’ll expect more of me after each workout. Next workout is tomorrow!

Michell Kaarne
10-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Saturday 4 OctoberTuck Planche 10s 10s 15s
Advanced Front Lever 30s
Straddle Lever 6s
Advanced Tuck Planche 10s

Diet
3 cheese sandwitches
Salmon burger and potatoes
Cinnamon bun
Chicken tikka massala
Ben & Jerry’s half baked ice cream
3 low alcohol beers (3.5%)
Bunch of candy

Sunday 5 OctoberMorning:
Advanced Tuck Lever 23s 15s 10s

At the club:
Lots of C&J work. Don’t remember sets/reps.
Front squats 50kgx5 then 5x5@60kg.
3 rounds of 6 pull-ups & 10 dips.

Diet
Oatmeal with blueberries, blueberry jam & milk
4 big cheeseburgers
100g potato chips with yoghurt dip
2 mini ice cream cones
the rest of the milk from this morning (1 litre)

Michell Kaarne
10-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Monday 6 October
Rest day.

Diet
600g beef steak
4 avocado
5tbs evoo

Tuesday 7 October
Adv Tuck Planche 10s

Snatch workout:
Hang power snatch 5x5 (I think) don’t remember weights
Hang squat snatch 5x5 or 5x3 don’t remember weights
Full snatch sets of 5 3 2 1 don’t remember weights but I finished with 2 singles at 40kg. Guess that’s ok since it was my second time ever snatching (a barbell).
Slow snatch shrugs (from floor to full extension) 5x3@70kg
Back squats 3x5@60kg 2x5@70kg

3 rounds of pull-ups & dips 6&10 6&10 6&7

Diet
750g salmon
4 avocado
1tbs butter
1tbs rapeseed oil

Wednesday 8 October
Rest day.

Diet
512g ground beef
600g spinach
125g mozzarella
1tbs butter
1tbs rapeseed oil
Total ~1800cals

Dinner with two friends I haven’t met in a long time;
2 big plates of pasta, root veggies and chicken
1 slice of blueberry pie with cream

Thursday 9 October
C&J workout followed by front squats
3 rounds of pull-ups & dips 7&10 7&10 4&8

Diet
392g beef steak
250g salmon
250g broccoli
250g cauliflower
1tbs butter
1tbs rapeseed oil
4tbs evoo

Friday 10 October
Rest day.

Diet
4 cans of tuna
200g guacamole
10tbs mayonnaise
2tbs evoo

Michell Kaarne
10-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Update to my intro post:

This is was supposed to be

However. I ended up joining an Olympic lifting club and am building my training around my workouts there instead. As soon as I feel I have adapted to this training I may start adding in some lunch-break metcons again. For now, I have oly lifting on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. I do some Planche and Front Lever work a few hours before that. At the club I do what the coaches tell me but it goes something like this:

C&J or Snatch day:
1 – 2 limited rom drills with lighter weight (hang variations etc), something like 5 sets with low reps
5 sets (some times more), low reps of the full lift
3-5 sets of the lifts shrug variation
Then 5 sets, 3-5 reps of front/back squats

I don’t worry about weight/rest. I rest until they tell me to lift and add weight when they tell me to add weight. I write down what I remember when I get home.

After that it’s kind of free for all but they do want me to work lower back and abs. Pull-ups and dips seem to make them happy also witch is fine with me :D.

Stuff not in my logWater: 2-4 litres a day.
Coffee: 1-2 cups of black coffee a day.
Supplements: I use a quality vitamin & mineral supplement and a teaspoon of creatine monohydrate from time to time as a pick-me-up.
Warm-up: I like jump rope, mobility drills, Crossfit type warm-ups or just using the lift I’m about to perform with light weights.

Michell Kaarne
10-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Last week
Was in an accident at work leaving the right side of my lower back cramping whenever I did lower body work. I had no problem with the gymnastic stuff so I stuck with that for a week.

Sunday 12 October
Morning:
Advanced Tuck Planche 8x5s
Advanced Tuck Lever rows 1x4
Tuck Lever rows on rings 2x4

Tuesday 14 October
Lunch:
Superset
a. Advanced Tuck Lever 6x10s
b. Tuck Planche negative pushups to bent arm Straddle Planche 5x3

Thursday 16 October
Lunch:
Superset
a. Advanced Tuck Planche 5s 5s 5s 5s 5s 5s
b. Various Tuck Lever pull-ups 5x3

Michell Kaarne
10-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Sunday 19 OctoberMorning superset:
a. Advanced Tuck Lever 15s 15s 15s 15s
b. Pseudo Planche push-ups 10 10 10 10

C&J workout at the club:
3 Hang cleans 1 jerk for something like 5 sets
C&J doubles for 8 sets?

Coach says my technique is getting really good but my legs are too weak…will have to work on that.

Back squats 10x50kg 5x60kg 5x70kg 5x75kg 2x80kg(failed 3rd rep) 1x80kg(failed 2nd rep) 5x70kg 5x70kg
Finished with 3 rounds of:
7 pull-ups (ended up doing 7 6 5 and added another set of 3)
33 sit-ups
10 dips
10 back extensions

Felt great working out again :).

Michell Kaarne
10-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Tuesday 21 OctoberMorning:
Advanced Tuck Planche 2x5s (was supposed to do 6 sets but forgot…)

Lunch: Was supposed to superset AdvTP and some dynamic lever exercise but again I forgot…need to buy some more fishoil…

Snatch workout at the club:
Overhead squats
Drop from standing with bar on shoulders to overhead squat
Hang snatch
Snatch

Front squat 3 sets of 5 reps at 50kg then 3x5 at 60kg

Finished with 3 rounds of:
8 chin-ups (ended up doing 8 7 6)
33 sit-ups
10 dips (ended up doing 12 10 10)
10 back extensions

Michell Kaarne
10-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Thursday 23 October
Lunch superset:
a. Advanced Tuck Front Lever 6x10s
b. Tuck Planche negatives to bent arm straddleplanche 5x3

C&J workout at the club:
Hang power clean
Hang C&J
Hang from below knees C&J
C&J …worked up to a double at 60kg
Clean shrugs

Back Squat (not super deep) 5x50kg 5x60kg 5x5x70kg 3x50kg

50 sit-ups
6x30kg DB side-bends (per side)
8x5kg back extensions

Sunday 26 October
At home:
ME Advanced Tuck Planche 11s
Started with my hips a lot higher then last time I checked my max hold, but they dropped fast and it was really hard to stay off the ground after that.

ME Advanced Tuck Front Lever 21s

ME Tuck Planche 10s
Waited 5 minutes between each hold but the previous two zapped me good L I think I’ll go back to working on the Tuck Planche until I can hold it for 45-60 seconds before working on the advanced version again.

3x3 of each with an empty bar
Overhead squats
Drop from standing with bar on shoulders to overhead squat
Hang snatch

Snatch did a couple of triples at 30kg then 35kg then doubles at 40kg. It was going so good I was sure they would let me go for 50kg but for some reason I just managed to do good on every other lift at 40 so I wasn’t allowed to go higher. It did feel very light though.

Front Squat sets of 3 reps
3x50kg 3x60kg 3x65kg 3x70kg 2x75kg(failed 3rd rep)
3x65kg 3x65kg 3x65kg

Finished with 2 rounds of:
7 pull-ups
33 sit-ups
12 dips
11 back extensions

At home:
7 pull-ups
6 ring dips

Michell Kaarne
11-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Diet updateThings have gone bad lately…I couldn’t get the anabolic diet to work for me…I couldn’t control my weekend carbups so I started cutting calories wich just made the weekends worse. I went back up to 2800 calories and initially seemed to lean out but then I started putting on fat again. Finally I was just fed up with it. I found it hard to get all my meals in, I lost my appetite, there was nothing pleasant about eating so I went back to eating like a normal person again.

I feel pretty good but my allergies are acting up…

Training updateLast workout was awesome but with the diet crap and loads of stress (and some overtime) at work I did nothing for the last two weeks.

Sunday 9 NovemberAt home:
Tuck Planche 12s 10s 10s 10s 6s 6s 6s

Still not allowed to go over 40kg. Last workout I had some pretty good singles at 40 but 2 weeks off set me back.

Front Squat (sets of 5 reps)
40kg 50kg 55kg 60kg 60kg 60kg 60kg 60kg 60kg
I think ATG 5x5@60kg is where I should stay until it feels easy.

2 rounds:
7 pull-ups (only did 4 2nd round)
10 back extensions
10 dips
8 ghd sit-ups

Not the best workout but if I can make it to practice more I should be pretty strong by Christmas.

Michell Kaarne
11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Tuesday 11 NovemberC&J workout at the club:Started from hang at 30kg and worked up to a few sets of doubles at 60kg from the floor.

Deep back squats, sets of 5 reps
50kg 55kg 60kg 65kg 65kg 65kg 65kg 65kg

3 rounds of
7 pull-ups (7 4 5)
10 ghd sit-ups
10 dips
10 back extensions

Michell Kaarne
11-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Thursday 13 NovemberDid several sets of tripples from 30-35kg of the following:
Hang snatch & overhead squat
Snatch & overhead squat
Snatch
Worked on technique, trying different angles etc…

Snatch grip, snatch style deadlift 5x5 @ 50kg
Press 4x8 30kg
Front squat 5x6 50kg

10 GHD sit-ups
10 Back extensions

Michell Kaarne
11-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Sunday 16 November
C&J workout at the club:
Loads of hang cleans and full C&J at 40 then 50kg. Again, working on technique. It still takes a few sets to get the technique ok every workout. I am improving though. It’s an awesome feeling when you nail a lift, the difference is amazing.

3 sets of 3 Jerks @ 50kg

Back Squat 5 sets of 6 reps @ 65kg (will go for 70 next time)

5 pull-ups
12 ghd sit-ups
10 back extensions
7 dips
5 chin-ups

Ran out of time so did this at home:
5 pull-ups
7 ring dips (anyhow)
4 hanging leg raise
21 superman

Michell Kaarne
11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Thursday 20 NovemberSnatch workout at the club:
Over head Squat 20kg x 5 x 5
Snatch Balance 20kg x 5 x 3 (Finally learned the English name for this move!)
Hang Snatch 30-32.5kg x 5 x 3
Snatch 30-35kg x 3 x 5
Snatch Pull 50kg x 5 x 5

Front Squat sets of 5 reps (ATG)
40kg 50kg 60kg 60kg 60kg 65kg 65kg (will go for 65kg x 5 x 5 or 70kg x 3 x 5 next time)

Finished with some random core and upper back stuff…

Michell Kaarne
11-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Sunday 23 November
Tuck Planche 5x6s

As weight and body fat has gone up I’ve neglected the gymnastic holds…will have to put more work in. I think I’ll drop the Front Lever for a while as I am focusing on the C&J and Snatch as well as the Planche and Squat.

C&J workout:
Worked my way through different variations up to 50kg. Cleans were great today but the Jerk didn’t go as well so I did a few sets of partial Jerks (will have to check what it’s called), went up to 80kg.

Back Squat
70kg x 5 x 5 (Will try sets of 6 reps next time.)

5 pull-ups
10 GHD sit-ups
8 dips
8 back extensions
5 pull-ups
10 GHD sit-ups
8 dips
12 med-ball throw sit-ups
10 back extensions
5 pull-ups
12 med-ball throw sit-ups
…something like that anyways…

Michell Kaarne
12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Sunday 30 NovemberTuck Planche 5x6s

C&J went up to 50kg…still need loads of work on the Jerk.

Back Squat 70kg x 6 x 5

Michell Kaarne
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Tuesday 1 DecemberSnatch workout at the club:
Over head Squat 20kg x 10 x 3
Snatch Balance 20kg x 5 x 3
Hang Snatch 20kg x 5 x 3
Snatch worked my way up to a single at 47,5kg
Snatch Pull 60kg x 5 x 2 & 80kg x 5 x 1
Front Squat sets of 5 reps
40kg 60kg then 65kg x 5 x 5 (will stay at 65kg until it feels easier)
3 rounds:
12 back extensions
4 leg lifts (left, both, right = 1 rep)
10 dips

Bench press 40kg x 12 & 42,5kg x 8 x 2 (a bit too easy, even after dips)

Michell Kaarne
12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Thursday 4 December
C&J workout:
Worked my way up to 55kg. Jerk is slowly improving.
Clean pull 2x3 @ 60 70 80 90kg

Back Squat sets of 5
50kg 60kg 70kg 80kg then 4 reps at 90kg (PR! Should be at 1.5xBW soon!)

3 rounds:
6 pull-ups
10 back extensions
10 GHD sit-ups

DB curl & press 12,5kg x 5 x 2 (per arm)

Michell Kaarne
12-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Sunday 7 December
Worked my way up to a single at 45kg

Front Squat 65kg x 5 x 5 (easier then last time)

Finished with random core work…

Michell Kaarne
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Tuesday 9 DecemberSnatch workout at the club:
Worked my way up to a single at 50kg

Back Squat sets of five reps
50kg 65kg 75kg 75kg 75kg 75kg 80kg

3 rounds:
Pull-ups 7 6 5
GHD sit-ups 10 10 10
Back extensions 12 10 10
Dips 12 10 10

Michell Kaarne
12-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Thursday 11 December – The crashC&J workout:
Worked my way up to 60kg (first rep at 60 went fine but then I started missing repeatedly, managed to finish with 1 ok rep at 60).

Clean pull 70 80 90 100kg (could only do doubles at 100)
Front Squat 60kg x 5 x 5 (legs felt weak)
Bad workout. I hit a wall at 60kg with the C&J and the rest of the workout suffered…

Michell Kaarne
12-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Sunday 28 December – Back in businessC&J workout at the club:
Worked up to 55kg then did rack jerks up to 65kg. It didn’t feel heavy but the speed isn’t really there yet either…getting better though…

Back Squat sets of 5
50 60 70 75 75 80 80 80kg (Quite easy, should have done 80kg x 5 x 5)

Finished with some pull-ups and ab work.

Michell Kaarne
12-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Tuesday 30 December

Hang snatch triples from 20-40kg followed by some full snatches at 40-45kg.
Slow snatch pulls 60kg x 5 x 5

Front Squat sets of five reps
65kg x 5 x 5

Finished with some sit-ups and back extensions.

Michell Kaarne
01-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Thursday 01 January – New PR!C&J workout:
C&J went up to 60kg then continued to clean up to 70kg
Push press sets of 5 up to 55kg then did some some jerks at 50kg

Back squat pyramid
50kg x 10
60kg x 8
70kg x 6
80kg x 4
90kg x 2
100kg x 1 (PR!)
90kg x 2
80kg x 4
70kg x 6
60kg x 8
50kg x10 (Was supposed to do 80kg x 5 x 5 but coach had me do this instead, totalling 3900kg :D)

Finished with some bent over rows and good mornings at 40kg.

Also tried a dragon flag. Felt really strong but my left bicep cramped on the way back up from parallel so I stopped.

Michell Kaarne
01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Sunday 4 JanuaryWorked on both lifts today as my first competition is coming up in two weeks.

Snatch 50kg (Was sure I would get a new PR but as soon as the weight was bumped up to 50 I put my right knee on the ground on the first two attempts. Made the third one but then they wouldn’t let me add more weight.)

C&J 70kg (Easy but I pressed the weight out in the jerk so no new PR.)

Front Squat 50x5 60x5 70kg x 3 x 5 (should have gone for 70 x 5 x 5)

Bent over row 40kg x 8 x 3
Good morning 40kg x 6 x 3
Weighted dips 6kg x 6, 10kg x 6 x 2
Hanging leg raise 3x3 (left, both, right)
Behind the neck press 20kg x 10 x 3

Michell Kaarne
01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
And so. I’m sick…

Yesterday I started coughing a bit and today got worse. Constantly freezing, coughing up some soft “mucus-kind-of-thing” that surprisingly hurts like hell. Joints and muscles ache off course…

Got home at 15:45 and took a bath and then tried to sleep for two hours. Been sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself for another two and thought I’d watch some k-1 and and type up this post.

So far I know of one co-worker, two relatives and my two year old son - for some reason he didn’t feel a need for whining on a public forum about it - who all got the same symptoms so I know what’s coming up. I should be good by this weekend I hope because my girlfriends brother gets married on Saturday and OL comp. is on the 18th.

Hope I can go to practice tomorrow. :)

Michell Kaarne
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh and I ran out of ice cream.

Michell Kaarne
01-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Feeling a lot better today…the fever finally went down around midnight last night. Took some painkillers (paracetamol) an hour ago just in case and all that is left now is the cough and a really bad cold. I guess the flu-shot I got at work helped me recover because everyone else has had several days of fever and about two weeks of heavy coughing. The upper part of my traps feel a bit sluggish but I think I’ll be fine.

Practice starts in one hour. Hope they’ll let me train as I work late on Thursday so I won’t get any skill work then. I’ll work strength on my own though.

Getting really psyched about the competition. I know I won’t make many points for my team…I’ll probably end up with a total of 120-130kg at a BW of 73kg. But it’ll be loads of fun anyways. :D

Michell Kaarne
01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Tuesday 5 JanuaryWorked up to a 40kg snatch and a 70kg(PR!) clean & jerk.Finished with clean pulls from 70 to 90kg.

Took it real easy today but at least I got some technique work in. The chough interrupted a few attempts but I felt pretty good by the end of the workout.

Michell Kaarne
01-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Thursday 8 January
No workout, had a fever.

Sunday 11 January
Snatch 50kg
C&J 70kg
Front Squat 80kg

Bent over row 42,5kg x 6 x 3
Good morning 42,5kg x 5 x 3

Thursday 15 January
Back Squat 70kg x 5 x 5 (was supposed to do 80 but 70 felt plenty heavy)
Push Press 50kg x 2 x 8
Bent over row 45kg x 6 x 3
Romanian deadlift 45kg x 6 x 3
DB curl & press 10kg x 12 x 3 (per arm)
Finished with some situps.

Saturday 17 January
Competition day. Weighed in at 69,75kg.

Snatch

45kg (Failed – Looked down, lost my balance and put my right knee on the ground.)
45kg
50kgClean & Jerk

65kg
70kg (Failed - Could/should have muscle cleaned it because the bar came crashing after me when I sat down to catch it resulting in me loosing balance and falling backwards.)
70kg (Failed – Pressed the weight.)Total = 115kg

Will have to do a lot better next time. Next competition is in five weeks (February 21).

Sunday 18 January
Hang C&J from 40kg to 65kg. Failed to hang clean 70 so I went back down and did a triple at 50 and a dpuble at 60.

Clean pull / dead lift from 80 to 115kg. Failed at 120kg.

Bent over row 40kg x 5, 40kg x 8 x 2
RDL 45kg x 6, 50kg x 6 x 2

GHD sit-ups 2x10, 1x6 (did some Russian twists in between sets)

Michell Kaarne
01-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Thursday 8 January
No workout, had a fever.

Sunday 11 January
Snatch 50kg
C&J 70kg
Front Squat 80kg

Bent over row 42,5kg x 6 x 3
Good morning 42,5kg x 5 x 3

Thursday 15 January
Back Squat 70kg x 5 x 5 (was supposed to do 80 but 70 felt plenty heavy)
Push Press 50kg x 2 x 8
Bent over row 45kg x 6 x 3
Romanian deadlift 45kg x 6 x 3
DB curl & press 10kg x 12 x 3 (per arm)
Finished with some situps.

Saturday 17 January
Competition day. Weighed in at 69,75kg.

Snatch

45kg (Failed – Looked down, lost my balance and put my right knee on the ground.)
45kg
50kgClean & Jerk

65kg
70kg (Failed - Could/should have muscle cleaned it because the bar came crashing after me when I sat down to catch it resulting in me loosing balance and falling backwards.)
70kg (Failed – Pressed the weight.)Total = 115kg

Will have to do a lot better next time. Next competition is in five weeks (February 21).

Sunday 18 January
Hang C&J from 40kg to 65kg. Failed to hang clean 70 so I went back down and did a triple at 50 and a dpuble at 60.

Clean pull / dead lift from 80 to 115kg. Failed at 120kg.

Bent over row 40kg x 5, 40kg x 8 x 2
RDL 45kg x 6, 50kg x 6 x 2

GHD sit-ups 2x10, 1x6 (did some Russian twists in between sets)