PDA

View Full Version : G's Log

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Starting a log here. I have an internet stalker who likes to spam my blog, so gone with the blog.

Today - rest day.

This will be a recipe and workout log.

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I plan on moving all my own recipes here as well (closing the recipe blog tonight), rather put it all in one hidden place.

Today I smoked a chicken for 6 hours. Used mesquite wood.

Mop sauce consisted of:

1/8 cup single malt scotch
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp of organic maple syrup

Damn this chicken is good.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/wowsyzygy/004.jpg

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Flax Breaded Chicken Breast

Made this for lunch today - great!

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp oregano
1/8 cup flaxseed meal
1 Tbsp real, organic butter

Pound chicken breast to 1/8 inch thickness with meat mallet. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Rub both sides until covered with flaxseed meal.

Heat a skillet to medium high heat and melt butter. Fry chicken breast for 3-4 minutes per side, or until done. Enjoy!

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Buckwheat Banana Bread/Muffins

This recipe is amazingly good, and easy to make. You can either take whole buckwheat groats and make the flour yourself, or buy organic buckwheat flour and use the same amount of flour as you would of whole groats.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp flax seeds, ground or 2 tbsp organic flax seed meal
1/3 cup water
1 1/3 cups buckwheat groats, "white" (unroasted) divided or organic buckwheat flour
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups bananas, mashed about 4 medium
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons water, boiling

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F, Combine flax meal with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and immediately remove from heat. Set aside to soak until needed.

In a food processor, grind 1/3 cup of the groats into fine flour. Place strainer over a mixing bowl and pour in flour. Rub the flour through with a spoon, returning unground pieces to blender: Repeat three times or until all groats have been ground.

Oil and flour an 8x4 inch loaf pan. Tap the pan gently to coat the bottom and sides with flour: Tap any extra flour back into the mixing bowl. If you are making muffins, oil and flour two 6-muffin trays, or silicon muffin trays (I prefer these).

Combine pumpkin seeds, salt, and spices. Blend on high 1 minute, stopping twice to scrape the bottom. Add seed mixture and chopped walnuts directly into the flour; and whisk together well.

Combine in blender oil and add 2 ripe bananas, broken into 1" chunks. Blend. Continue to add banana chunks until the 2-1/4-cup level is reached. Add the flax mixture and blend for one minute.

Pour the liquid mixture over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Add to the batter and stir with a few swift strokes until water disappears (don't beat it). Quickly scrape batter into pan and place in hot oven.

Immediately reduce oven temperature to 325. Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a toothpick thrust in the middle comes out dry (will be about 45-50 minutes for muffins, if that). Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn bread/muffins out on a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.

Nutrition Facts - Muffins (1P/2C/4F)
Serving Size 68 g (1 muffin)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 191
Calories from Fat: 112
Total Fat: 12.4g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 311mg
Total Carbohydrates: 17.5g
Dietary Fiber: 3.2g
Sugars: 3.6g
Protein: 5.4g

Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 2% Iron 10%

Nutrition Facts - Bread (1P/2C/6F)
Serving Size 101 g (1/8 loaf slice)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 286
Calories from Fat: 168
Total Fat: 18.6g
Saturated Fat:2.3g
Sodium: 466mg
Total Carbohydrates: 26.3g
Dietary Fiber: 4.9g
Sugars: 5.3g
Protein: 8.1g

Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 3% Iron 15%

sarena kopciel
09-21-2008, 05:39 PM
I plan on moving all my own recipes here as well (closing the recipe blog tonight), rather put it all in one hidden place.

Today I smoked a chicken for 6 hours. Used mesquite wood.

Mop sauce consisted of:

1/8 cup single malt scotch
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp of organic maple syrup

Damn this chicken is good.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/wowsyzygy/004.jpg

Gotta try this one!!

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Angry Jerky

This stuff is amazingly good!

Ingredients:
1 (4-pound) London broil, sliced into 1/8 slices, trim excess fat throughout

Marinade: This is for 4 pounds of meat!
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp kosher salt
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp Mrs. Dash Seasoning Chipotle Seasoning
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp molasses

Directions:

Put meat and marinade in a sealed plastic bag (in a bowl or dish in case it leaks) for 24 hours in refrigerator. Turn over whenever you open fridge to keep marinade moving around.

You will need cookie sheets and wire racks. 1 sheet/2 racks per 2 pounds of meat if drying in oven.

Take meat out and drain in a colander for 5 minutes in sink. Place strips over wire rack in cookie sheet and place in an over set to WARM or LOW with oven door cracked open 2-4. The heat is just to keep the air moving, it is not to cook the meat, that is why it is important to keep the oven open. You can also use a dehydrator if you have one. Keep the meat in place for 6-12 hours (this really depends on type of meat and the WARM/LOW setting on your oven. most will be done at the 6-8 hour point) until it turns dark and slightly brittle (like gum). Keep refrigerated, as there are no preservatives.

Nutrition Facts (2P/1F)
Serving Size 57 g (2 oz)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 102
Calories from Fat: 34
Total Fat: 3.8g
Saturated Fat: 1.4g
Cholesterol: 46mg
Sodium: 728mg
Total Carbohydrates: 1.3g
Sugars: 0.9g
Protein: 15.0g

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Banana Bread Pancake

I was adventurous with this one! I used my buckwheat pancake recipe and decided to try almond flour. Was I in for a treat!

Ingredients:

2/3 cup almond flour (blanched or raw will work just fine)
2 Tbps milled flax seed (I prefer to grind mine in a spice grinder so its fresh)
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 banana cut into slices
1 tsp pumpkin spice, or a 1 tsp mixture of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves
1 pat of butter

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together, let sit 5 minutes.

Divide into four pancakes on a griddle or in a cast iron skillet with butter and cook each side for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes until done. Top with butter and natural organic maple syrup (just a dab)!

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes

Makes 4 pancakes!

Ingredients:
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup fresh or defrosted blueberries (you could also use a 6 banana)
4 egg whites or 2 whole eggs
2 tbsp flaxseed meal

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together, let sit 5 minutes.

Divide into four pancakes on a griddle or in a cast iron skillet with PAM or oil (adds fat) and cook each side for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes until done.

Nutrition Facts - Blueberry (1P/1C/1F)
Serving Size 85 g (1 pancake)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 101
Calories from Fat: 23
Total Fat: 2.5g
Sodium: 58mg
Total Carbohydrates: 14.6g
Dietary Fiber: 3.5g
Sugars: 4.2g
Protein: 6.3

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Just Plain Wrong Brownies

This recipe is a mix of three different recipes I found on the Food Network site, and changed to be friendly. They are delicious and are well, just plain wrong. I suggest having many friends over after you make these, as you will want to eat them all.

Ingredients:
6 oz unsalted butter cut into 1 oz squares
3/4 cup flax seed meal
1 cup honey
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (2/3 cup)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp boiling water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Take some of the butter and lightly coat a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish

In one large bowl, mix together flax meal, salt, buckwheat flour and walnuts. Beat eggs in a separate large bowl.

Place chopped chocolate in a third glass or metal bowl over boiling water to melt. When chocolate is roughly half melted, add honey, cocoa powder, butter, and vanilla and continue to slowly stir until all of the chocolate is melted. Remove chocolate from heat and pour half into the beaten eggs while stirring the eggs to temper them. Once this is fully mixed, add the rest of the chocolate to the eggs and continue to stir until a smooth consistency. Pour the new chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Time is now important, as the flax will begin to soak up the wet ingredients, once the batter is fully mixed you want to have it in the oven within the next 5 minutes. Dissolve the baking soda in the 2 tbsp of boiling water and pour over the brownie batter. Quickly stir and spread out batter in the prepared baking dish. Bake about 25 minutes, just until brownies test moist but not wet (can be checked by placing a toothpick into the brownies, if it is clean, they are done). Cool completely before cutting. Cut into 24 brownies.

Nutrition Facts (2C/4F) May change depending on chocolate used.
Serving Size 48 g (1 brownie)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 191
Calories from Fat: 107
Total Fat: 11.9g
Saturated Fat: 4.9g
Cholesterol: 47mg
Sodium: 118mg
Total Carbohydrates: 20.9g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7g
Sugars: 16.3g
Protein: 3.4g

George Mounce
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Morning Delight Creamy Applesauce

2 apples, chopped (I used Pink Lady apples - if you can get these they are out of this world!)
1 cup strawberries, sliced (I used frozen)
50g vanilla protein powder (or whatever your powder is for 5 blocks protein)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
8 macadamia nuts

Throw it all into a food processor and turn it on low until a creamy applesauce forms. Eat and enjoy!

Frank Needham
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
George, I'm glad to see you posting this stuff here. Your recipes are great, simple and tasty. I tried to follow some of the stuff you posted on CF but for the most part this is the only fitness site I read on a regular basis any more. Keep it up!

Gregory L. Johnson
09-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Yummy! Those recipes look good. I'll have to give them a try and keep an eye on your log.

George Mounce
09-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Flying went so long that I didn't get a workout in today, but I'll start tomorrow. Going to try the basic program as outlined by Greg Everett and add metcons in. I really want to start getting good at the Olympic lifts.

Bought a C2 Model D today, looking forward to it!

Gregory L. Johnson
09-22-2008, 06:51 PM
You will love your C2 rower. Use it to warm-up for the CA WODs. I used to try just using light kettlebell work and DROM drills but still didn't feel like I was warmed up enough. So I started dragging my C2 rower out of the garage into the backyard where I workout. I feel much more ready to lift after 3 minutes on the rower. Enjoy!

George Mounce
09-23-2008, 06:58 AM
BP1-16 hour fast

CJ 135x3x1
SN 85x3x1
PU 3xmax (10?,22,18)

Patrick Haskell
09-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Angry Jerky

This stuff is amazingly good!

Thanks for posting this here. I tried to pull up your blog this morning for the express purpose of getting this recipe started tonight and couldn't find it. Such bad timing would have been too ironic for me, and I would have had to wing it.

Gant Grimes
09-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Nice to see you here, George. It's much more sane.

George Mounce
09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for posting this here. I tried to pull up your blog this morning for the express purpose of getting this recipe started tonight and couldn't find it. Such bad timing would have been too ironic for me, and I would have had to wing it.

I had a stalker on my WOD blog, and well it was a female from that other community. Needless to say, I like it here much more, so here I am. I too think its much more sane.

George Mounce
09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Oh and another thing on that jerky - I know some are against nightshades, but damn I love adding ground chipotle to it, gives it an awesome flavor.

sarena kopciel
09-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Whoa, that sucks!! I am going in on a joint venture to make the smoked chicken recipe but we will probably do it with turkey!!

Oh and they're asking about you and your recipes big time on the other site~~~LOL

How is life going now with the little guy?

George Mounce
09-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Whoa, that sucks!! I am going in on a joint venture to make the smoked chicken recipe but we will probably do it with turkey!!

Oh and they're asking about you and your recipes big time on the other site~~~LOL

How is life going now with the little guy?

Life is great, thanks for asking! Little guy eats a ton, I see a future in the Oly lifts for him! :D

They can wonder all they want. :mad:

Allen Yeh
09-24-2008, 04:46 AM
A belated welcome. I just took a look at some of your recipes at your other log, good stuff. I had exited the other site a bit ago and had tried to go back earlier this year but that wasn't meant to be.

George Mounce
09-24-2008, 04:56 AM
A belated welcome. I just took a look at some of your recipes at your other log, good stuff. I had exited the other site a bit ago and had tried to go back earlier this year but that wasn't meant to be.

Thanks! Now if I could only get my Paleo donut to stay together. It is vexing me! The batter was very delish on this last attempt but couldn't stand up to the frying. Back to the drawing board.

George Mounce
09-24-2008, 08:22 AM
BP2-No fast

BS 205x3x5
Snatch DL 95x2, 135x2 (This can go way up, but is it supposed to be 105% of snatch, maybe Greg can comment on this as its from his book)
Press 125x5x5

First time doing high bar squats in a long time so my numbers went way down, my quads suck. Learning a ton already about myself going back to basics like this. Can't wait for rower to arrive in a couple of days, I want to break 1:20 on my 500m.

George Mounce
09-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Shitake mushrooms and sauce

1 package of dried shitake mushrooms
1 1/2 cups red or white wine
1/2 cup cream
2 tsp of capers
Salt and pepper to taste

Place mushrooms and wine into a small pot. Simmer mushrooms for 15-20 minutes in the wine. Add cream and capers and simmer 5 more minutes. Pour over meat and enjoy.

sarena kopciel
09-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Just found this blog (http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com) and began to play! Made several things today and all are really good! Thought you may like to know

George Mounce
09-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Just found this blog (http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com) and began to play! Made several things today and all are really good! Thought you may like to know

Looks great, but it seems a lot is like candy food and a bit on the classy side for a caveman like me. I'm kinda more in the meat mind frame lately.

George Mounce
09-25-2008, 05:10 AM
BP3-12 hr fast

Technically a rest day, but I threw some metcon in for this morning:

Run 400m
10 x 1 pood KB cross chops (L then R side)
20 knees to elbows
Run 400m
20 knees to elbows
Run 400m
20 knees to elbows
Run 400m

Time: 12:40

I was reading Olympic Weightlifting this morning and some part of me wanted to do cross chops and knees to elbows as well as run and this was born. Felt good in the cool morning air.

John Barney
09-25-2008, 10:42 AM
George,

Sorry to hear of your blog troubles, but glad to find you posting over here now.

Thanks for bringing up the recipes, it's truly appreciated.

Best regards,

John

Jay Cohen
09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Nice job on the C2, have one myself, always nice on a rainy, snowy day.

Pig is coming next week, have pork butt thawing as I type, plan to make some Pulled Pork this weekend.

You drink Red Wine, have friends that are into serious wine making. They are finishing the pressings this weekend on 15 tons of grapes.

I'll ship ya few bottles if interested.

Your bud

Jay

George Mounce
09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Nice job on the C2, have one myself, always nice on a rainy, snowy day.

Pig is coming next week, have pork butt thawing as I type, plan to make some Pulled Pork this weekend.

You drink Red Wine, have friends that are into serious wine making. They are finishing the pressings this weekend on 15 tons of grapes.

I'll ship ya few bottles if interested.

Your bud

Jay

Absolutely, you should still have my address. Let me know what I owe ya.

George Mounce
09-25-2008, 08:03 PM
New note - dropped almost all static stretching. Done a dynamic flexibility warm-up and cool down and the only thing I've really kept is ankle stretching (using the one in Olympic Weightlifting) notice no stiffness and I'm a rather flexible guy already, so this was something I seemed to be doing that wasn't helping much.

George Mounce
09-26-2008, 05:24 AM
BP4-14 hour fast

Sn 85x1, 90x1, 90x1
CJ 140x1, 140x1
PU 25

Forgot about my son's checkup I have to go to so I cut out a few things, will make it up with some hard flying this afternoon.

Anthony Bainbridge
09-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Banana Bread Pancake

Looking forward to trying this one out! Wife just picked up the ingredients, so I'll report back tomorrow morning with the results.

PS - I'm not a foodie ... *shudder* ... but I do like the paleo style pancakes. :D

sarena kopciel
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Hope your son has gained nicely!!

I found this jerky recipe (http://paleoodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/09/jerky.html) and gonna try the ground turkey jerky tomorrow night (defrosting in fridge now)!! I may make it into meat cookies. Oh and I found Eden brand dried cranberries, although they are apple juice sweetened and have sunflower oil in them. Not the worst thing for sure. The blog looks real good with nice ideas.

When is the rower due to arrive?

George Mounce
09-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Hopefully soon!

George Mounce
09-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Looking forward to trying this one out! Wife just picked up the ingredients, so I'll report back tomorrow morning with the results.

PS - I'm not a foodie ... *shudder* ... but I do like the paleo style pancakes. :D

Just make sure not to burn them, the almond flour tends to burn pretty quickly at high heat.

George Mounce
09-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Flew today with a Japanese exchange student (amazing kid, fun to fly with) and one of our future pilots. Got a great workout in the air pulling Gs!

George Mounce
09-27-2008, 06:30 AM

What exactly is a foodie? :p

George Mounce
09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
BP5-No fast

OHS 140x2x3
FS 175x3x5
Clean Pull 155x3x2

AMRAP in 15 min of:
500m run
15 pull-ups

4 rounds, 300m

George Mounce
09-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Just a thought - I finally realized what the stretch reflex feels like today while doing the front squats of all things (while I was probably also using it in the OHS, I didn't focus on it in my head). Those front squats when I actually mentally focused on the stretch reflex occurring were ridiculously easy. I swear I think I could have just added another 40-50 pounds easily for the second two sets when the light came on during the first. Hopefully this awakening of body awareness will stay with me through my rest day tomorrow.

Plan is on rest days to throw in skill exercises with just the bar to help keep the muscle memory on track for training days. Very excited at the things I'm learning through reading Olympic Weightlifting and having the tools finally in my home gym to do the exercises.

Anthony Bainbridge
09-27-2008, 04:43 PM
What exactly is a foodie? :p

Someone who obsesses over flavor and recipes and ... :D

We tried the banana bread pancakes - pretty good, but not as good at the ones in Scott's book (with hot blueberries). Gonna make a few tweaks tomorrow and see how they turn out though.

George Mounce
09-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Someone who obsesses over flavor and recipes and ... :D

We tried the banana bread pancakes - pretty good, but not as good at the ones in Scott's book (with hot blueberries). Gonna make a few tweaks tomorrow and see how they turn out though.

Not for everyone, and you have to be perfect with almond flour or it does tend to not work so well. It was more used as a way to get rid of all the extra almond flour I had and the bananas sitting on the table before they went bad. I tend to make up recipes out of necessity, or they just happen when an idea pops into my head. If you find a better way to make them, by all means do tell!

You should fuss over flavor, why would you eat something that didn't taste good?

Anthony Bainbridge
09-28-2008, 06:42 AM
You should fuss over flavor, why would you eat something that didn't taste good?

I don't eat things that taste bad, but I'm not fussy if things taste "plain" either. Grilled meat with no sauce or spice, garden salad, and nuts or nut butter and I'm good to go.

I'm eating a second attempt your pancakes right now - much better. She blended everything and used a bit of coconut milk and water to thin it out so the pancakes cooked more like a crepe. I think she added a bit more pumpkin spice too - either that or my cold is finally going away. :D

Patrick Haskell
09-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Just a thought - I finally realized what the stretch reflex feels like today while doing the front squats of all things (while I was probably also using it in the OHS, I didn't focus on it in my head). Those front squats when I actually mentally focused on the stretch reflex occurring were ridiculously easy. I swear I think I could have just added another 40-50 pounds easily for the second two sets when the light came on during the first. Hopefully this awakening of body awareness will stay with me through my rest day tomorrow.

Plan is on rest days to throw in skill exercises with just the bar to help keep the muscle memory on track for training days. Very excited at the things I'm learning through reading Olympic Weightlifting and having the tools finally in my home gym to do the exercises.

Feeling the SSR is a great epiphany. When I took up SS this spring, I found it pretty quickly, thanks mostly to my inflexible hamstrings. :D Now that I'm working on a HB squat, I don't have as good a feel for it. It's there, but with an upright torso, it doesn't do me as much good. I do think that will improve with practice, but to find it on the front squat of all things (as you said) is remarkable.

I'm loving Greg's book too. As an added, um, bonus, I'm recovering from a back injury, so I'm getting lots of practice doing drills with PVC and an empty bar. :rolleyes: My bumps and bar are en route, so hopefully I'll heal up soon, so I can play with some weight when they do.

George Mounce
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't eat things that taste bad, but I'm not fussy if things taste "plain" either. Grilled meat with no sauce or spice, garden salad, and nuts or nut butter and I'm good to go.

I'm eating a second attempt your pancakes right now - much better. She blended everything and used a bit of coconut milk and water to thin it out so the pancakes cooked more like a crepe. I think she added a bit more pumpkin spice too - either that or my cold is finally going away. :D

Hope you are feeling better! I agree with you on that point, a long time ago when I went Paleo I was amazed at how good plain items can taste without the need to super spice things up.

Coconut milk sounds like a great idea!

I'm currently smoking some pork ribs for tonight, trying out a new mop sauce, I'll post it if it adds the flavor I'm hoping for. I really want to get a sauce I can truly call my own.

Daniel Olmstead
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
George, you are totally a foodie. Where I come from, that's a good thing. Of course, I'm one, so I'm biased.

George Mounce
09-28-2008, 05:55 PM
George, you are totally a foodie. Where I come from, that's a good thing. Of course, I'm one, so I'm biased.

Mop sauce tonight was good - not exceptional. Got another one to try in a week (I smoke some sort of meat every Sunday for my rest day activity).

Patrick Haskell
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Finally made the angry jerky. Forgot to pick up chipotle seasoning so I threw in some good BBQ sauce instead, but that made it a little on the vinegary side. Still, way better than commercial jerky and cheaper, too. Will do this regularly - next time with a bigger batch of meat. There's no point in going through it in a week, if I'm going to have the oven on for 6 hours (although that will have benefits come winter). Thanks for the good idea.

George Mounce
09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Finally made the angry jerky. Forgot to pick up chipotle seasoning so I threw in some good BBQ sauce instead, but that made it a little on the vinegary side. Still, way better than commercial jerky and cheaper, too. Will do this regularly - next time with a bigger batch of meat. There's no point in going through it in a week, if I'm going to have the oven on for 6 hours (although that will have benefits come winter). Thanks for the good idea.

A dehydrator will make it come out even better, but the oven is easily workable if you don't want to go that route.

Glad you liked it! I plan on making some next week.

George Mounce
09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
BP6-12 hour fast

Early week.

SN 85, 90, 95
CJ 145, 150, 155
PU 17, 22, 17

George Mounce
09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
BP7-No fast

FS 180x3x5
CLDL 205x2x2
SNPP 75x5x5

George Mounce
10-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Metcon Day-12 hour fast

AF PFT

1.5 mile run
Max push-ups 1 min
Max sit-ups 1 min
Waist measurement

Score = 100 out of 100 points

George Mounce
10-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Concept 2 arrived yesterday, got it put together today, the real fun begins! :D

George Mounce
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Random thoughts today:

Last year I did the AF PFT - got a 100. Since then I haven't done CrossFit even close to as much as I did last year. In fact this last year has been more strength training including Gant's Hybrid program and now the beginner program as outlined in Olympic Weightlifting by Greg.

Last year I weighed 171, and got a 100. This year I weighed 181, and got a 100.

Last year I did the WOD's verbatim for the most part. This year I didn't, hardly ran except a few times, and was only 6 seconds slower than last year without running much (honestly the only big running things I've done have been in the last 2 weeks, last time I took over a month to prepare for the test).

What this has led me to believe is that the strength base is much more important overall for functionality than the metcon base, and that strength and power are more important factors overall for completing high intensity training than cardiovascular endurance as far as fitness goes. I know plenty of people that can run as fast as I can, but I don't know even close to as many who can lift like I can (granted I've dropped my weights down to make sure my form is correct for the Oly lifts lately, but I can do more).

Also - I've kept nutrition over the last year pretty much constant using the IF protocol, rather than the Zone. I've finding more and more, the Zone is pretty weak on science and is more of a method to portion food and measure things. With the adaptability of the body during varying amounts of calorie intake, it is entirely possible and plausible to see the results that have occurred - having 10 pounds more muscle, a lot more strength yet the metcon result is nearly the same (last year I sprinted the last 100m, this year I didn't knowing I had already gotten a 100 score).

With the basic program I've chosen two days a week to do CrossFit WODs. I believe this is more than enough along with my current Oly lifting program to keep my fitness level pretty high, and with the strength and power gains move me into higher levels. I have come to believe that the current CrossFit program lacks any "introduction" methodology for people starting out, and I like many others just jumped into a potentially dangerous situation which makes many very prone to injury, or worst case rhabdomyolisis. The warnings are there sure, but the preventative measures are completely lacking. A warning isn't good enough. A strong, thought-out and tailored introductory and scaling program is necessary that is logical in nature, and much more than just diving into scaled WODs. Something to the effect of progress checks should be implemented in the training of people new to CrossFit (i.e. a kipped pull-up, good form on an air squat, running form, gymnastic ability) and training to build these skills would go a long way.

Don't get me wrong, the theory is sound pertaining to CrossFit. But is the amount of training people do necessary? I think not if functional living is their goal. I also believe CrossFit has become too much of a sport, and a production of revenue - corporate sponsorship and trademark frenzy have led to some breaking away from CrossFit due to the pack mentality of the leadership and affiliates.

In my own life, I am still trying to find a reason outside of CrossFit to do a thruster. To date (since March 2007) I have not done one outside of CrossFit. The CrossFit games have become an event of who can do CrossFit movements better. I have seen they are going to change the format of the 2009 CrossFit games. I believe the more completely random, and the more life-pertaining the events become, the ability to judge who really is the fittest CrossFitter becomes easier. The goal of a sub 2 min Fran is commendable, but the goal of being able to accomplish any task, no matter how completely random it is with not only technical skill, but power, strength, and efficiency is much more important in day-to-day life. This is the real test of a CrossFitter, not the times or weights in their logs.

Enough of my random thoughts.

Allen Yeh
10-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Good food for thought.

sarena kopciel
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Here, here!!

Kevin Perry
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Bravo

George Mounce
10-02-2008, 12:40 PM
BP8-No fast (going for weight gain now :D)

CJ 160,160,165
SN 95ML,95,100 - finally felt the third pull, big day for me, light came on
PU 28,22,13

Off to go fish for 3 days, back Sunday!

Garrett Smith
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
George, those are anything but random thoughts...well put.

Patrick Haskell
10-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Some excellent thoughts there George and well put. I agree that an introductory program is sorely needed for solo CFers. The relevant information is there, but it's buried deep in the journal or on the boards. After a year and a half, I feel like I'm finally getting myself on a proper program of fundamentals (admittedly after a bunch of strength, conditioning gains and one nagging injury that I did know better when I got it, but which could even more easily strike an uninformed beginner). It's unfortunate that CF is caught between it's mantra of infinite scalability (and the associated marketing appeal of that) and the reality that absent the attention you can get at an affiliate, a separate introductory program would be hugely beneficial for the vast majority of solo CFers starting out. There's definitely a need for it. Perhaps that need will motivate the creation of such a program. I won't hold my breath (I'm sure the rest of the to-do list is pretty long), but eventually, I could see this happen.

George Mounce
10-04-2008, 03:58 PM
So in two days, we ended up with 450 pounds of catfish. We even figured out a way, with the proper credentials of course, of easily making $60k a year just fishing catfish. But hey, I have a job. :D

Much blackened catfish will be on my plate over the course of the next few weeks. The two days of rest were well worth it. Didn't think about work, didn't think about lifting, hell didn't think about much. Drank really good whisky.

Thanks for the support on my observations. They are just that, my observations, and well they would fall on deaf ears, and eyes probably most other places.

Patrick while I agree with you on point about the affiliate thing, I disagree on substance that I've seen.

There is a HUGE disparity on what you will find at an affiliate. I've been to some that are right on point, and some that do nothing but chipper metcon until everyone is dying on the floor every day. This disparity concerns me, because the corporate question of "what is a CrossFit affiliate?" cannot be answered with a standard answer every time. Maybe its the pilot in me where flying has clear standards, just like a squat has clear standards (parallel and lower is clearly defined for each individual). There is no standardization, and the ability for a level I certified person to make an affiliate is scary. They do not even have close to the training required to take on clients and train them effectively. I would require at least level II certification before being able to start an affiliate.

So this makes a bunch of people more prone to injury. To date, the best CrossFit affiliate I've been to is CrossFit SoCal in San Diego. They were all level III certified, had other credentials as well outside of CrossFit and had a gym full of every implement you could ask for in a black box. I am aware other CF gyms have this all as well, but out of 5, only one had this. Heck I think my garage gym has more then some do, which scares me because I put mine together for the grand total now of $2300 with my new rower.

Perhaps this and other discussions will spark ideas (such as a reworked and defined introductory program). My main interest is really more into the Oly lifts now, and I supplement with WODs twice a week. Its obvious I don't need more then that at this point to reach my goals.

Back to finish this week tomorrow morning!

Derek Weaver
10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Good points George.

At my Level 1 Cert. Tony Budding and Dave Castro both made the point that in metcons, couplets and triplets should make up well over 90% of the programming. They were talking about how affiliates get into the "intensity" thing and come up with these insane chippers for like 90% of their work... or they think that Fran isn't enough and they make it 21-15-9 x3 + 100 pushups for time etc.

I'm thinking that eventually the programming on the main page is going to start reflecting some of these things. When you've got a ton of the "old school" athletes from CFHQ who are now at CF Santa Cruz Central starting lots of days with strength and then shorter metcons it should be a strong indicator of what's needed.

George Mounce
10-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Good points George.

At my Level 1 Cert. Tony Budding and Dave Castro both made the point that in metcons, couplets and triplets should make up well over 90% of the programming. They were talking about how affiliates get into the "intensity" thing and come up with these insane chippers for like 90% of their work... or they think that Fran isn't enough and they make it 21-15-9 x3 + 100 pushups for time etc.

I'm thinking that eventually the programming on the main page is going to start reflecting some of these things. When you've got a ton of the "old school" athletes from CFHQ who are now at CF Santa Cruz Central starting lots of days with strength and then shorter metcons it should be a strong indicator of what's needed.

I heard the same thing at my cert. For me, the most intense part of my day is Zen meditation, and believe me when done with the utmost of concentration, that alone is more intense than any 1RM deadlift, or the hardest metcon out there. People define intensity too much as "getting your ass kicked". One can put all their intensity into anything they do and be just as wiped out.

Patrick Haskell
10-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Patrick while I agree with you on point about the affiliate thing, I disagree on substance that I've seen.

There is a HUGE disparity on what you will find at an affiliate. I've been to some that are right on point, and some that do nothing but chipper metcon until everyone is dying on the floor every day. This disparity concerns me, because the corporate question of "what is a CrossFit affiliate?" cannot be answered with a standard answer every time. Maybe its the pilot in me where flying has clear standards, just like a squat has clear standards (parallel and lower is clearly defined for each individual). There is no standardization, and the ability for a level I certified person to make an affiliate is scary. They do not even have close to the training required to take on clients and train them effectively. I would require at least level II certification before being able to start an affiliate.

I do see the disparity in programming at affiliates and have recommended to folks that they consider training themselves in a globo rather than continuing to get worn down by the Chipper of the Day. I'd need to get out to more affiliates to evaluate the range of quality of training, so I'll leave that be. The Level II certification requirement to start an affiliate does makes sense now (actually, I'd like to see other certs required, too), but unfortunately there were hundreds of affiliates founded by Level I trainers before the Level II cert existed. Hard to put the genie back in the bottle at this point. Standardization is tough to come by in an affiliate model, and Coach has assiduously avoided the franchise model and all the complexities that entails. It certainly dilutes the brand, but it doesn't change the way I'll train or the value of CF as a whole to me.

George Mounce
10-05-2008, 05:27 AM
I do see the disparity in programming at affiliates and have recommended to folks that they consider training themselves in a globo rather than continuing to get worn down by the Chipper of the Day. I'd need to get out to more affiliates to evaluate the range of quality of training, so I'll leave that be. The Level II certification requirement to start an affiliate does makes sense now (actually, I'd like to see other certs required, too), but unfortunately there were hundreds of affiliates founded by Level I trainers before the Level II cert existed. Hard to put the genie back in the bottle at this point. Standardization is tough to come by in an affiliate model, and Coach has assiduously avoided the franchise model and all the complexities that entails. It certainly dilutes the brand, but it doesn't change the way I'll train or the value of CF as a whole to me.

Here, here! I wore my CF shirt out to dinner last night and the waitress was impressed, and I have no issues letting people know I do CF WODs.

George Mounce
10-05-2008, 09:27 AM
BP9

SNB 100x2x3
BS 210x3x5
SNP 135x3x2

Daniel Olmstead
10-05-2008, 12:24 PM
This is an interesting conversation, and I hope, George, you don't mind if I butt in with my two cents.

Here's my perspective: I grew up in a fairly cult-like religion. I won't go into the details of that, but suffice to say it was a relatively mild charismatic leader kind of thing. When I became an adult and realized what was really going on, I left, but to this day I continue to believe and follow some of the tenets I learned there. There was much of value behind the bullshit, the trick is just to recognize which is which, and keep what's valuable and good and let go of the rest.

I see much of the same thing with Crossfit. The jokes about it being a cult have a kernel of truth in them, and there are many people who really do elevate Coach Glassman and the Crossfit precepts rather higher than I feel they really deserve or am comfortable with. That said, I find there is much of value in Crossfit, and approached with the proper level of..well..sanity, it can be extremely useful. As long as YOU'RE using IT, and not the other way around.

I'm currently thinking of getting certified to start help training at my local affiliate. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, so I'm thinking of combining the CF cert with maybe an RKC or a barbell or something. I'm not that worried about my ability to maintain the perception of Crossfit as a tool, or a means to an end (and not an end itself), and I would strive to keep that perspective in my affiliate.

George Mounce
10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the convo Daniel! I do think if you are going to train people it's worth it, unfortunately to get to level 2, you need level 1, and you need to be serious or that $1000 is not worth it at all. The concepts that are taught at the level I are easily found throughout the forum. Heck I think if you have any other nationally accredited cert you should be able to just go right to level II.

I also agree, that too many people (even Coach himself at times) make CF the only answer. Its not, and they also (even Coach) put the money aspect ahead of the fundamentals aspect. CrossFit isn't anything new, I saw doublets and triplets of the CF variety 15 years ago in Men's Health. The packaging is great and the website brings about recognition, but it isn't something new, the model of bringing it to the masses is.

I'll give you an example of a piece of silly BS - the pull-up bar that is endorsed by Glassman that he says is in his house. I'm going to call BS that Glassman does pull-ups in his house. That is the kind of crap that irks me about CF - when it comes down to it, its about the money aspect now for him, not the helping and training of people. While it was at one time a pure thing, those days are gone, and the recent trend I'm seeing on the CF boards and the affiliate blog are unfortunate. Its why I left for the most part over there.

Kevin Perry
10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the convo Daniel! I do think if you are going to train people it's worth it, unfortunately to get to level 2, you need level 1, and you need to be serious or that $1000 is not worth it at all. The concepts that are taught at the level I are easily found throughout the forum. Heck I think if you have any other nationally accredited cert you should be able to just go right to level II.

I also agree, that too many people (even Coach himself at times) make CF the only answer. Its not, and they also (even Coach) put the money aspect ahead of the fundamentals aspect. CrossFit isn't anything new, I saw doublets and triplets of the CF variety 15 years ago in Men's Health. The packaging is great and the website brings about recognition, but it isn't something new, the model of bringing it to the masses is.

I'll give you an example of a piece of silly BS - the pull-up bar that is endorsed by Glassman that he says is in his house. I'm going to call BS that Glassman does pull-ups in his house. That is the kind of crap that irks me about CF - when it comes down to it, its about the money aspect now for him, not the helping and training of people. While it was at one time a pure thing, those days are gone, and the recent trend I'm seeing on the CF boards and the affiliate blog are unfortunate. Its why I left for the most part over there.

But does'nt it end up always being about money anyways? I personally have never been to an affiliate. However, I was initially aprart of the group that was opening up the affiliate out here in Greenville but walked away when they were more interested in contract commitments rather than quality training. There current training emphasis is primarily on heavy long drawn out metcons and I have yet to see any strength element in their training.

I like crossfit, but have been finding myself more and more drawn away from it due to their too competetive nature and their elitism atttude towards other styles of training. Right now im not sure what direction to take once I get the training cert from school in the spring. Not sure if it's worth the $1000 right off the bat to get a CF Lvl 1 or if it is even worth it to go into personal training period.

Oh woe me, end rant.

P.s. Where are you stationed? And what do you fly?

George Mounce
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
But does'nt it end up always being about money anyways? I personally have never been to an affiliate. However, I was initially aprart of the group that was opening up the affiliate out here in Greenville but walked away when they were more interested in contract commitments rather than quality training. There current training emphasis is primarily on heavy long drawn out metcons and I have yet to see any strength element in their training.

I like crossfit, but have been finding myself more and more drawn away from it due to their too competetive nature and their elitism atttude towards other styles of training. Right now im not sure what direction to take once I get the training cert from school in the spring. Not sure if it's worth the $1000 right off the bat to get a CF Lvl 1 or if it is even worth it to go into personal training period.

Oh woe me, end rant.

P.s. Where are you stationed? And what do you fly?

Columbus AFB, MS. I'm a T-6A IP.

Kevin Perry
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Columbus AFB, MS. I'm a T-6A IP.

Oh I am envious. I was raised around airplanes my whole life but stopped short of going forward with college and ROTC ( very bad at math). So I joined the Marines...

Allen Yeh
10-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Guys,

Not to be the dickhead board mod but Greg E. does have some rules about what he doesn't want mentioned on this board. As you may or may not have noticed myself and the other mods very rarely say much in regards to these rules. Right now you guys are skirting with it fiercely.

While I may be inclined to agree with certain opinions, I still have to ask that you guys veer away from this course a bit (Georges original post in this thought, was ambiguous enough to pass inspection) and converse over PM or email.

Sorry to be the party pooper.

George Mounce
10-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Guys,

Not to be the dickhead board mod but Greg E. does have some rules about what he doesn't want mentioned on this board. As you may or may not have noticed myself and the other mods very rarely say much in regards to these rules. Right now you guys are skirting with it fiercely.

While I may be inclined to agree with certain opinions, I still have to ask that you guys veer away from this course a bit (Georges original post in this thought, was ambiguous enough to pass inspection) and converse over PM or email.

Sorry to be the party pooper.

Understood, sorry to go against the rules.

In better news, I'm trying a shepard's pie recipe this week I will post, should be mighty tasty. My folks are in town so I have two good testers! :D

George Mounce
10-06-2008, 11:03 AM
BP10

CJ 170x3x1
SN 105x3x1 (the recent realization of the third pull should help this lift go up quickly in weight)
PU 31, 24, 21 (pull-ups are on an upward trend in reps recently)

Great workout! Parents are here so in between my lifts I went over rowing, basic deadlift and squat positions as well as a dynamic warm-up and cool-down.

George Mounce
10-07-2008, 10:32 AM
BP11

BS 215x3x5
SNDL 140x2x2
PP 130x5x5

Rest 5 min

3 rounds of:
500m row
30 sit-ups

9:16

George Mounce
10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
More thoughts - after reading about pull-ups, I think I'm going to incorporate kipping pull-ups during my Monday workout, and then do dead-hangs on Thursday. I don't do the pure BFK (doesn't get me high enough), more of a hybrid of a standard and a BFK. Should add more tools to the toolbox.

I wonder if this will adversely effect numbers on each spectrum or increase both. We'll have to see!

George Mounce
10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
BP12

SN 105x3x1
CJ 170x3x1
PU (strict) 13, 10, 12

George Mounce
10-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Shepherd's Pie

This recipe takes awhile to make since I prefer to bake the sweet potatoes rather than boil them. Read through the whole directions before starting, you'll be doing multiple things at once to save time. I have put alternate directions at the bottom if you are making this over a fire.

Ingredients:

3-4 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 lb chuck steak, diced
1 lb ground pork
2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
1 Vidalia or Walla Walla sweet onion, coarsely chopped
2 large portabella mushroom caps, coarsely chopped
2 cups okra, chopped
2 Tbsp organic butter
1/4 cup milled organic flax seed
1/2 cup whole organic milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

Topping:
Preheat oven to 400. Place sweet potatoes on foil and poke holes into them with a knife or fork. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife goes easily through the entire
potato. Remove from oven (but keep oven on) and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove skins and place potatoes into a small bowl. With a potato masher, mix in 1 Tbsp of butter, milk, dash of salt and pepper, cinnamon, then mash until a good consistency. Set aside.

Insides:
Before the potatoes are done, get out a cast iron Dutch oven and place on stove with medium high heat. Put in 1 Tbsp of the butter and add meat, cooking until browned. Mix in carrots, onions, and mushrooms, allowing all to cook for 10 minutes with the lid on the Dutch oven. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Remove lid and pour in flax seed, mixing in with the meat and veggies. Remove Dutch oven from heat.

Putting it together:
With a spatula, spread sweet potato mixture over the top, sprinkle with salt and
pepper.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 400 lid on, then take lid off for another 15 min.
For the last 15 minutes I will sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top for even more taste.

ALTERNATE DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING THIS WITH A FIRE AND COALS:

Make a nice big cooking fire. Here is how to do it: http://www.eartheasy.com/play_campfire_cooking.htm

Place 3 sweet potatoes (poke holes in them) in foil and put into coals for 45 minutes. Make sure you can get them out later with a stick. Peel and mix with a wooden spoon in a separate bowl with the milk, salt and pepper, butter, and cinnamon.

Place your Dutch oven on top of coals and add in ingredients as stated above. Spread the potatoes over the top then put the lid on and place hot coals all around and over the Dutch oven and cook for 45 minutes.

Derek Weaver
10-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I've said this about Jay, and now I'm saying it about you George. You're a freaking resource. That recipe is awesome.

Keep up the training. Looks like things are progressing nicely eh?

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 01:28 AM
I've said this about Jay, and now I'm saying it about you George. You're a freaking resource. That recipe is awesome.

Keep up the training. Looks like things are progressing nicely eh?

Yes, slowly but surely. I'm being a form freak, so if all 3 lifts aren't technically sound and with good form, I'll redo them. I'd rather get the form down now with lighter weights then progress to heavier weights with bad form. I've set up a video camera and TV for instant feedback after each lift, kind of some self coaching. Once the weight comes up, I'll then start posting some vids for the community to critique my lifts.

That shepherd's pie is pretty darn good. I've made it twice now so far, with rave reviews.

sarena kopciel
10-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Hey I was just thinking of an interesting twist for your pie. What do you think of the use of celeriac for the potatoes?

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey I was just thinking of an interesting twist for your pie. What do you think of the use of celeriac for the potatoes?

I throw it out there, if you want to try something else, go for it! Imagination is not only encouraged, its required!

I personally haven't used celeriac in any recipe, but its worth a shot!

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Decided to take this day as a rest day (had to get up at 3 am and I feel tired) so I'll finish out the week tomorrow morning on a full night's sleep.

I was very inspired by this part of an article with Greg today:

From http://www.againfaster.com/articles/greg-everett-olympic-lifting-crossfit-and-catalyst-athletics.html.

Jon: Greg, one of my first experiences or I guess my first encounter with anything youve done was your Performance Menu Mass Gain Program and I know that well, obviously it didnt work for me because I didnt try hard enough. But you have put on significant amounts of size and I dont think a lot of people know that. There are videos of you floating around at a buck sixty.

Greg: I think, no, I think I leveled out at 167. That was my lowest since, you know, being an adult. But yeah, I put on a shitload of weight in the last couple of years.

Jon: And is that in service of weightlifting entirely?

Greg: Yeah, and you know, in prior to my getting involved with CrossFit I weighed about 200, 205. And then once I started doing the CrossFit thing I dropped way down and I was generally running between 180 and 185. But there was a point at which I dropped way, way down and I was like, I mean I was like five toothpicks sticking out of a potato basically.

Jon: You were on the crystal meth diet there? Or what happened?

Greg: Yeahwell, no. I was on the fucking Zone. And, I hate that damn diet. It just drives me nuts. But, no, you know, for CrossFit it worked out well for me, you know? Back then I was fairly good at it and probably because we there was only like 100 CrossFitters in the world, so I didnt have much to compare myself to.

But, you know, I had some of the top times and Diane and you know, those workouts. And, I had 60 kipping pull-ups and all this bullshit. Burpee back flips, and blah, blah, blah. And, you know, just a basically a bunch of parlor tricks. They really didnt do me any good. But, I finally when I said, Hey, look. Im bored with this stuff. I feel like Im just, you know, going around in circles and Im not progressing in any one particular way. I miss being a competitive athlete.

And, you know, I decided Im going to be a weightlifter. Well, shit, Im 511, which in the real world isnt very tall but in the world of weightlifting is on the taller end of things. And, you know, at that time I was basically like 82 or 83 kilos. And man, I was 6 inches taller than most of the 85 kilo lifters. And that just doesnt fly. Theres too much of a mechanical disadvantage there.

And so, I slowly went up to 94 kilos and did all right then and then after Americans last year that I competed in as a 94 I said screw it and Im gonna go to a heavyweight and you know, go up to 105 kilos so thats where Im at now and Im looking about 104. Im right there.

Everything about that interview is why I'm here, making sure my form is always improving, and enjoying the hell out of the Oly lifts.

sarena kopciel
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey so you didnt lift today??:confused:

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I just read this thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37993

And part of it is argued,

The Sumo Dead Lift High Pull: This movement is a precursor to the clean. It teaches proper kinetic chain when taking something from the ground to the chest. It is also a more functional version of the clean (in a manner of speaking, I know there is no drop under or third pull). Think about it like this: if your buddy gets shot in the streets of Iraq are you going to run him through with a bar so you can clean him up to your shoulder, or are you going to straddle him with your hands inside of your feet, violently extend your hips and then drop under him?

I guess after now really working on form for my cleans, its now for some reason escaping me on how the SDLHP actually functions like a clean, or is "more functional" than a clean. Maybe its because I'm so used to the third pull now, and the fact that the second pull ends a whole hell of a lot lower than shoulder high.

If any big brain who reads my log can comment on this to help my understand, it would be appreciated.

Rip's comments on arm bend are here: http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1731&

George Mounce
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey so you didnt lift today??:confused:

Nope, tired, drinking coffee and contemplating the SDLHP and stuff I need to study this weekend before I start flying again on Tuesday. This week off from work has been really nice for relaxing the brain.

George Mounce
10-11-2008, 08:53 AM
BP13-13 hour fast

OHS 145x2x3
FS 185x3x5
CP 160x3x2

Row 2000m - 7:23.7

Decided for metcon to start using the CFE C2 workouts for Tuesdays and Fri/Sat (I often switch my workout between Fri and Sat just because of scheduling).

Started video taping my workouts. Need to find my firewire cable so I can get them off my camera, but I did notice my form is pretty solid (hamstrings on calves for depth), probably so in part because I kept the weights light and am working up, rather than going all out.

Leo Soubbotine
10-11-2008, 09:11 AM
IMO SDHP sucks. I have not seen a great carryover from it to the clean at all, also it's never used with a heavy load (balancing that thing would be a recipe for disaster) and I just teach my folks how to clean and not worry about the medball clean at all.

I'm a prick when it comes to this stuff.

Plus the simple fact that SDHP are always done in metcon and are done much faster with a DL + Upright row setup makes me wonder about the value of this move done properly.

And that's exactly how I treat it - as long as the back is flat and arms don't really bend till you pass the knees, plus stance is wide toes out and knees out - I'm cool with that.

Having a luxury of being constantly coached and work with USAW Intl coach and after attending Coach B's and Greg E's oly seminars - I find no need in making SDHP a precursor for the clean.

But if someone is just starting as a coach - that's a decent beginners progression.

That being said - we do coach it as one of the 9 basic moves when a person starts because I find Sumo Deadlift to be an excellent stretch and it helps out with the Deadlift tremendously and after all - SDHP is an excellent metcon move.

Hope that makes any sense :D

P.S.
"It is also a more functional version of the clean "

That drives me nuts. Why not just get a log or a dummy and just lift them and be super duper functional?

Then we'd see stone lifting and tire flipping all the time in the workouts because they're more like "real life" and the snatch would be out in a blink of an eye. But it's not.

The Specificity Vs Functionality seems to be a popular debate.

Specific is a firefighter training running with a hose, scaling walls, dragging dummys.

Functional is doing pullups, thrusters, squat cleans, muscle ups etc.

People mix and match this stuff like the "F*ckA**" guy in the Boondock Saints movie.

George Mounce
10-11-2008, 11:40 AM
People mix and match this stuff like the "F*ckA**" guy in the Boondock Saints movie.

Noticed that trend myself. Thanks you cleared it up for me. :)

George Mounce
10-13-2008, 10:08 AM
BP14-13 hour fast

I can say that video feedback is really awesome. I wasn't getting down enough in the snatch, and just seeing that made my last rep amazing, full depth, form was great. CJ needs improvement on the deadlift portion, hips rising too fast and I'm short-stepping the jerk. Glad to have video feedback on these things so I can fix them.

SN 105,110,110
CJ 175x3x1
PU(K) 25,20,DNA (right shoulder kind of tender for some reason, quit after second set)

George Noble
10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I appreciate the comments Leo. It's nice to have someone with your credentials give input on the subject.

Leo Soubbotine
10-13-2008, 10:27 AM
video feedback - post it up!

George Mounce
10-13-2008, 10:40 AM
- post it up!

Need to buy a card or a firewire cable, going to look for one today!

Once I get it, I have full on Adobe products so I can make a full production LOL, maybe with some lighting coming off the bar or something funny.

Leo Soubbotine
10-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Make barbell shine red on both ends and put up electric crackling sounds - Jedi training right there!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2592978104_eeeb6a5214.jpg?v=0

George Mounce
10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Make barbell shine red on both ends and put up electric crackling sounds - Jedi training right there!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2592978104_eeeb6a5214.jpg?v=0

ROFL good idea, light sabre barbells!

I might though put a sticky light on the end of the barbell and then put the lifts in slow motion to watch bar travel though.

George Mounce
10-14-2008, 07:25 AM
BP15-13 hour fast

FS 190x3x5
CLDL 210x2x2
SNPP 85x5,95x5,100x3x5

George Mounce
10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I got notified today there is a huge fitness competition within our squadron come February. I'd like to be #1 in the squadron. I am going to have to change my training around for it to be more GPP, but I want to keep including the OLY lifts. I'll come up with something tomorrow during my rest day.

George Mounce
10-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Well, I was worried yesterday about my right hip flexor area, and this morning confirmed it - something in there is pulled. I tried to walk and around it gave the reflex action of tightening up, wasn't fun almost fell over.

Sucks!!!!!

Allen Yeh
10-15-2008, 07:10 AM
From your workout or something else?

I hurt my left hip flexor recently when I fell down the stairs. My left foot was the leg that flew out in front of me as I landed on my back. Sucked.

George Mounce
10-15-2008, 07:14 AM
From your workout or something else?

I hurt my left hip flexor recently when I fell down the stairs. My left foot was the leg that flew out in front of me as I landed on my back. Sucked.

I felt a twinge during front squats yesterday, and it was sore all yesterday while flying. This morning confirmed my fears. I may take the rest of the week off to let it heal up.

Daniel Olmstead
10-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey George, we went and watched the Blue Angels this weekend, and watching them scream around the sky I thought of you and your g-pulling. Even from the ground it looks rough!

George Mounce
10-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Hey George, we went and watched the Blue Angels this weekend, and watching them scream around the sky I thought of you and your g-pulling. Even from the ground it looks rough!

When done, over and over again it can be a great full body workout. Its basically just a huge lower body isometric hold to force blood up to your brain, and then you valsalva breathe ever 2-3 seconds. You then have to be able to move your upper body to fly against the Gs so your 10 pound cranium is then 20-60 pounds. Great workout!

Unfortunately right now with my right hip flexor pulled, I'm kind of limited to flying as about my only full-body workout. I might do some light rowing today, but I want this to heal well before I start doing anything heavy again.

Haven't come up with a plan yet as far as how I want to train for this event. Will probably be CF + extra oly lifting.

Kevin Perry
10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
When done, over and over again it can be a great full body workout. Its basically just a huge lower body isometric hold to force blood up to your brain, and then you valsalva breathe ever 2-3 seconds. You then have to be able to move your upper body to fly against the Gs so your 10 pound cranium is then 20-60 pounds. Great workout!

Unfortunately right now with my right hip flexor pulled, I'm kind of limited to flying as about my only full-body workout. I might do some light rowing today, but I want this to heal well before I start doing anything heavy again.

Haven't come up with a plan yet as far as how I want to train for this event. Will probably be CF + extra oly lifting.

Major respect for you guys, I alays get dizzy watching the Blue Angels and the other pilots perform. Crazy cool stuff.

George Mounce
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
3 rounds of:
4 min row
2 min rest

1 - 1143m
2 - 1062m
3 - 1059m

George Mounce
10-18-2008, 01:48 PM
For time:
Row 750m
25 pull-ups
Row 500m
50 push-ups
Row 250m
75 sit-ups

11:04

George Mounce
10-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Right hip flexor area still tight. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

It feels like the area between where your leg and groin meet, and I can really feel it when going down into an OHS. It does not hurt when I turn my leg inward (foot pointed in) but I can feel when I turn my whole leg out.

Leo Soubbotine
10-18-2008, 05:06 PM
George - have you recently upped the volume of back squats or any squatting movement where your feet are turned out?

I've noticed with myself and a few of our folks - that sometimes the adductors get really sore whenever we a) introduce a heavy back squat load for the first time or b) up the volume of squatting/switch from singles to sets of 5 across etc.

Most recent one I had was after Rip's cert - when I squatted there 3x5 while normally I was doing 1-3 reps and I couldn't squat for a few days - my adductor would cramp up every time I tried to do so.

George Mounce
10-18-2008, 07:27 PM
George - have you recently upped the volume of back squats or any squatting movement where your feet are turned out?

I've noticed with myself and a few of our folks - that sometimes the adductors get really sore whenever we a) introduce a heavy back squat load for the first time or b) up the volume of squatting/switch from singles to sets of 5 across etc.

Most recent one I had was after Rip's cert - when I squatted there 3x5 while normally I was doing 1-3 reps and I couldn't squat for a few days - my adductor would cramp up every time I tried to do so.

Yes, front squats, lots more. That is exactly what is happening to me, I can't freaking squat right now and its pissing me off. Perhaps the change up I'm doing getting ready for the 2009 adventure challenges here in Mississippi instead of doing OLY volume may help me out.

My plan right now is to go WOD/OLY/WOD+CFE and switching up running and rowing for the CFE.

George Mounce
10-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Angry Ribs

I just posted this in a CrossFit forum thread about ribs, thought I would put it here.

I use the same recipe for chicken, turkey, brisket, you name it. Works every time.

Remove membrane, rub with cinnamon, salt, pepper, ground chipotle, and cumin (sorry amounts are my secret). Cover in plastic wrap and put in fridge for 24 hours.

Smoke for 4 hours at 200-225 with mesquite and hickory (I soak the wood for 1 hour prior to using). Use organic apple cider as your mop sauce, applying once an hour, I also flip the ribs at this time. After 4 hours, use mop sauce one more time, cover completely with tin foil (shiny side in) and keep in smoker or put in oven at 200 for another 4 hours.

Serve on platter, drizzling with juices that are left in the tin foil.

George Mounce
10-19-2008, 07:23 PM
So after talking to a friend, to go for the 2009 Columbus AFB challenges, it would be best to approach it with an endurance state of mind, rather than a strength state of mind.

So...while having enjoyed 4 weeks of Oly only type lifting, I'm going back to CF+CFE. What the last 4 weeks have done for me though is remarkable. My squat form has improved substantially, and I understand the Oly lifts now. That in and of itself was a huge hurdle surpassed. I can be much more confident in them and that is exactly what I wanted.

Too bad I have to lose some weight now, I was enjoying eating so much.

I've also picked up some ZMA, a 60-day supply. Going to see what effects if any this has on my training and daily life.

George Mounce
10-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Complete as many rounds as possible 20 minutes of:
95 pound Thruster, 5 reps
95 pound Hang Power cleans, 7 reps
95 pound Sumo Deadlift High-pull, 10 reps

9 rounds, 5 thrusters

Oh ya, metcon went down, lungs burning after this. Next month probably going to be complete hell as I work back into the CF metcons. What killed me go figure were the SDLHPs, thrusters were smooth, power cleans were a joke. Right hip flexor was tight for first 4 rounds then loosened up.

10 min rest

C2: 10:20 x 16

1227m

Holy crap, that kicked my ass more. Averaged 1:31/500m.

sarena kopciel
10-20-2008, 01:29 PM
WOW
Glad the hip loosened up!

George Mounce
10-21-2008, 06:54 AM
14-hour fast

5 rounds for time of:
12 Burpees
12 Pull-ups

9:47

Decided to scale, as yesterday killed my back, my hip was darn near immobile this morning and took a longer warm-up to loosen, and if I had done 10 rounds, I wouldn't have time to type this in and I'd be late for work. Scaling is probably going to be the best option for the next couple of weeks as I move back into the CF WODs.

George Mounce
10-22-2008, 06:07 PM
12.75 hour fast

Run 5k

22:42

Row 3 x (250m + 500m + 750)
Rest length of interval after each interval

4500m rowing, 16:53, 1:52/500m overall

I didn't realize till after the rowing how far it was. Big mistake... :p . Almost fell asleep at work!

George Mounce
10-24-2008, 09:18 PM
No chance to workout today, work went way over.

Will do the CFE rowing and CF (rowing sub) tomorrow, rest 3 or so hours then hit up that day's WOD.

George Mounce
10-25-2008, 10:01 AM
4 rounds of:
Row 500m
Rest 2 min

1 - 1:46.3
2 - 1:44.0
3 - 1:45.5
4 - 1:43.6

Average: 1:44.85/500m

George Mounce
10-28-2008, 03:04 AM
Been taking this week off to let my hip heal, plus I seem to have gotten a bit of a sniffle.

The rest is going to be nice.

Derek Weaver
10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
When is your competition George?

I take it the hip's been a little slow to heal. I had a hip issue around the early part of June that would just show back up all the way up into July. Bugged the crap out of me.

George Mounce
10-29-2008, 05:28 AM
When is your competition George?

I take it the hip's been a little slow to heal. I had a hip issue around the early part of June that would just show back up all the way up into July. Bugged the crap out of me.

It is multiple competitions throughout next year. They are called the "adventure series" and are basically triathlon-like competitions, lots of trail running and biking, along with swimming and team events.

I did two when I was at Beale and my team always won, but I'd like to be able to win a couple individual events as well.

This rest is nice, gotten some 17 hour fasts in and I can feel the excess weight coming off.

Derek Weaver
10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
I've definitely been missing my fasts as I've been putting on weight. Actually looking forward to leaning back out in a couple of months. Never thought I'd say that...

Good luck on the comps. should be a good time.

George Mounce
11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Back at it, going to scale as I work back in after 10 days of rest. I needed that long for sure.

AMRAP in 10 min of:
10 pull-ups
10 x 65# thrusters

6 rounds + 5 pull-ups

Wow, 65 pull-ups after 10 days rest is going to hurt tomorrow, I can already tell. Hip still tight, did some stretching after.

5 min rest

On C2:

2 rounds, next round starts after the 1 min rest.
20 sec on 20 sec off, 30 sec on 30 sec off, 45 sec on 45 sec off, 1 min on 1 min off.

R1: 798m, 1:46.7/500m
R2: 821m, 1:45.2/500m

Rowing felt good, form still good. Glad to be back to my rowing.

Derek Weaver
11-05-2008, 07:00 PM
good to see that you're back at it George.

Solid effort on that metcon and rower after 10 days off. I'm sure that after a few days to "re adapt" you'll throw up a few PR's after the long lay off.

George Mounce
11-06-2008, 01:39 PM
good to see that you're back at it George.

Solid effort on that metcon and rower after 10 days off. I'm sure that after a few days to "re adapt" you'll throw up a few PR's after the long lay off.

I hope so! Next three CF and CFE cycles are going to be scaled to allow for a transition phase back into the full swing. I don't want to be one of those rhabdo stories.

George Mounce
11-06-2008, 02:06 PM
3 rounds of:

BW (175#) floor press (I don't own a bench nor do I ever want to)
10 pull-ups

Rested 3 min between rounds.

George Mounce
11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Extra rest day. After the 0330 wake-ups all week, and the nap today where my wife said I spent the entire time talking in my sleep about flying (indicative of sleep deprivation and brain not processing events until then) I need it.

Back to it on Sunday! The soreness feels good!

George Mounce
11-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Meant to work out Sunday and today. Man life has been hectic. Tomorrow for sure!

George Mounce
11-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Going to start doing the CF NJ Kettlebell WODs and the Navy Seal CF WODs. They are more the kind of thing I think will help me accomplish my goals next year. Plus I love KBs.

sarena kopciel
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Going to start doing the CF NJ Kettlebell WODs and the Navy Seal CF WODs. They are more the kind of thing I think will help me accomplish my goals next year. Plus I love KBs.
I too love KBs, can you send me that link?

George Mounce
11-12-2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.crossfitjerseyshore.typepad.com/jersey_shore_crossfit/

1/2 Deck of cards

Hearts = pull-ups
Spades = Push-ups
Diamonds = sit-ups
Clubs = Squats
Jokers = 500m row

14:36 Lousy!

sarena kopciel
11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.crossfitjerseyshore.typepad.com/jersey_shore_crossfit/

thanx

Emily Mattes
11-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey George, I read that you do meditation. I've been trying to get started on it, just sitting on the floor and focusing on my breath for five minute intervals, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to empty my mind. Do you have any recommendations or tips or resources for someone starting out?

George Mounce
11-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey George, I read that you do meditation. I've been trying to get started on it, just sitting on the floor and focusing on my breath for five minute intervals, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to empty my mind. Do you have any recommendations or tips or resources for someone starting out?

Yes, a book called Zen Training by Katsuki Sekida (you can find it on Amazon). Probably the best book on meditation that I have ever read, and it helped me a ton. It made me enjoy meditation so much more! Course, I add that Zen flavor to my meditation.

It is normal for people first starting to find it difficult to empty the mind, because its full of thought!

Here is a simple trick I learned from the book, its called one minute zazen. Look at something, anything, then hold your breath and really stare at it for as long as possible (preferable one minute). I bet you can't think of anything else when you do that. In fact, you've just learned that the body can control the mind, and the true way to empty the mind is through the body - they work together, not separately. And in fact, its that breath control that leads to mind control.

The book goes much, much more into how the mind works, and how the two work together, and explains everything way better than I ever could. Its worth way more than the paper its written on.

JW Luckett
11-13-2008, 03:30 AM
You know, I thought about asking sort of the same thing, George. I was wondering whether you had had some kind of training. I learned quite a bit doing Aikido in college. There are a couple of temples not far from where I live that offer zazen to the public for basically free. That is one of the things I want to get to here before long, zazen in the temple.

George Mounce
11-13-2008, 05:34 AM
You know, I thought about asking sort of the same thing, George. I was wondering whether you had had some kind of training. I learned quite a bit doing Aikido in college. There are a couple of temples not far from where I live that offer zazen to the public for basically free. That is one of the things I want to get to here before long, zazen in the temple.

Go...now! I did Aikido for four years in college myself. I have met a few people along the way since who practice Zen, and they have helped, but you can't pass up an opportunity like that.

George Mounce
11-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Warm-up: Clean skills: 5 X 45, 65, 85, 105, 135

For time:
500m row
20 Front Squat 95lb
25 Push ups
15 Front Squat
25 Push ups
10 Front Squat
25 Push ups
5 Front Squat
500m row

12:53

George Mounce
11-17-2008, 08:40 AM
1/2 Tabata Metcon: 4 Rounds per exercise, 20 seconds on 10 seconds off

Wallball 20# = 37
Burpee = 21
Box Jump = 36
25 foot sprint (1 rep is back and forth) = 5
double unders = 31

Total = 130

Derek Simonds
11-17-2008, 09:00 AM
That was a nice little 10 minute workout this morning. Real nice in fact. I like the half tabata. I started doing 6 intervals when I read Gant's stuff a while ago.

Thanks for posting that book recommendation to Emily. I will check it out as well.

George Mounce
11-17-2008, 08:57 PM
That was a nice little 10 minute workout this morning. Real nice in fact. I like the half tabata. I started doing 6 intervals when I read Gant's stuff a while ago.

Thanks for posting that book recommendation to Emily. I will check it out as well.

Enjoy!

Yup, still doing 1/2 intensity as I scale back into the CF stuff. Very fun!

George Mounce
11-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Warm-up: Row 1000m. 10 Hang Power Clean, 10 Hang Squat Clean 75lb, then:

25-15-10 of:
Hang Squat Clean Thruster 75#
Kettlebell swing 55#
Burpee
Box Jump 24"

Time: 19:22

Metcon still sucks, but its coming back slowly but surely.

George Mounce
11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Rest day, which is good, spent 15 hours at work today!

George Mounce
11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Warm-up: 500m row, 25 pushups, 25 squats, 25 sit-ups, then:

Tabata Push ups
Row 500m
Tabata Squat
Row 500m
Tabata Push Press (75#)
Row 500m
Tabata weighted sit up (1 pood KB)

Time: 23:45
Rep total: 312

Holy shit that sucked!

George Mounce
11-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Didn't get to workout yesterday cause of a 13 hour day. Today my arms and legs are swelling, not a good sign. Probably went into the Tabata with too much effort. I'll see how I do today to determine what I do tomorrow.

Derek Weaver
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Warm-up: 500m row, 25 pushups, 25 squats, 25 sit-ups, then:

Tabata Push ups
Row 500m
Tabata Squat
Row 500m
Tabata Push Press (75#)
Row 500m
Tabata weighted sit up (1 pood KB)

Time: 23:45
Rep total: 312

Holy shit that sucked!

Vicious. Even if you weren't working back into CF that would be brutal. Takes some melons to program something like that yourself.

George Mounce
11-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Vicious. Even if you weren't working back into CF that would be brutal. Takes some melons to program something like that yourself.

That's actually a scaled down version of a Navy Seal WOD. I like their WODs but I think I didn't scale enough for this one. My triceps are swollen, I can't feel my quads.

Basically I've gotten into a routine like this:

Monday - NS WOD
Tuesday - NS WOD
Wed - Off
Thursday - Skill Work + Sprint Workout (either running or rowing)
Friday - NS WOD
Sat - Skill Work + Long Row
Sun - Off

Derek Weaver
11-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Solid schedule. I think the NS WOD's are great as long as they're being used by someone like you who values recovery and understands the concept.

Hope the tri's and quad's settle down. I've had that happen a few times. If you can still shave and walk I wouldn't worry about it too much.

George Mounce
11-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Luckily for me something has been going around work, and wearing a mask all day doesn't help either, so I've been sick for the first time in oh..since I can remember and feeling like hell.

sarena kopciel
11-26-2008, 04:55 AM
Luckily for me something has been going around work, and wearing a mask all day doesn't help either, so I've been sick for the first time in oh..since I can remember and feeling like hell.

Hope you get better real soon and enjoy the holiday!! Bummer:(

George Mounce
11-28-2008, 05:13 AM
Taking it easy, everyone here seems to have a cold, so its not just me. Fit and unfit alike, something is going around that is just kicking everyone's ass.

Smoked a turkey for thanksgiving and man it was WONDERFUL.

Used the recipe found here: http://www.bbqu.net/season3/303_4.html#thanksgiving_turkey

Used the gravy without the flour for basting along with the butter.

George Mounce
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Yesterday:

500 yard deer drag up two hills.

Today:

Have to be in charge of son, won't get a workout in today.

George Mounce
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
3 Rounds For Time:
15 Power Clean 95lb
15 pull-ups
Row 500M

15:58

George Mounce
12-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Went to Houston this weekend and got some food poisoning...lovely! I feel like absolute hell, and haven't been able to workout. I've lost roughly 4 pounds because of not eating. This sucks.

George Mounce
12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Feeling better today, lots of water and good, wholesome food helped. Getting back to it tomorrow!

sarena kopciel
12-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Feeling better today, lots of water and good, wholesome food helped. Getting back to it tomorrow!

Glad you are feeling better mate!

George Mounce
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
And unfortunately (for working out) fortunately for me, I have to spend all day with my son, so that kind of kills my workout. Tomorrow morning though, I'm going all out!

George Mounce
12-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Annie

7:46 (1:46 slower than my old PR, slowing getting back into metcon)

Clean and Jerk

1 - 1 - 1 at the following weights:

95 - 115 - 135 - 155

Derek Simonds
12-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I am sure you probably got it under control with the food poisoning. I would definitely load up on some probiotics after that especially if I had any of the normal symptoms that go with food poisoning.

Your workout on the 2nd was awesome and congrats on the PR today. That is fast!

George Mounce
12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
I meant to say...slower. My best time for Annie is 6:00 flat.

George Mounce
12-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Sauteed some veggies in a cast iron pan and threw in 5 eggs, some feta, and basil, man my wife and I dug into that frittata like it was nothing else!

For any of you enthusiasts, I have switched to baking them in a 325 oven until well done, rather than putting them under the broiler. The egg consistency is much, much better that way.

George Mounce
12-10-2008, 07:28 AM
5 rounds of:

Row 250m
Rest 2 min

1 - 48.0s
2 - 50.7s
3 - 49.6s
4 - 50.5s
5 - 50.0s

George Mounce
12-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Back to Oly lifting, probably just the main page PM WOD. Personal reasons.

George Mounce
12-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Power snatch - 70% x 2 x 3 (85)
Clean & jerk - 60% x 2 x 3 (105)

3 rounds for time of:
500 m row
15 kipping pull-ups

Time: 12:47 lame I know

George Mounce
12-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Back from a cross-country weekend of flying. Going to start the next mesocycle with the PM WOD.

George Mounce
12-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Made a new blog, it is entirely devoted to one of my favorite dishes...the frittata.

You can find it here: http://zenfrittata.blogspot.com/

George Mounce
12-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Back squat - 170 x 3 x 5
Snatch deadlift - 135 x 3 x 3
Push press - 105 x 5 x 5
Pull-ups - 10 x 2
Weighted sit-ups - 3 x 10 (25#)

sarena kopciel
12-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Made a new blog, it is entirely devoted to one of my favorite dishes...the frittata.

Yeah I saw that earlier and thought it was your creation!! Thanks again.

Chris H Laing
12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Awesome new website. I'll be trying out most, if not all, or the recipes eventually. One question though...will they still taste as good without the addition of the cheeses?

George Mounce
12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Awesome new website. I'll be trying out most, if not all, or the recipes eventually. One question though...will they still taste as good without the addition of the cheeses?

I don't know, something about melted cheese (which you can find in all Mexican foods, which is why they taste sooo good) is something I can't live without. Personally, you'd probably have to find something to give you that creamy goodness flavor that cheese offers.

George Mounce
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Drove 11 hours today for new puppy, will catch up tomorrow.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1592/65/13/1345335157/n1345335157_30191774_9121.jpg

sarena kopciel
12-17-2008, 02:40 AM
Drove 11 hours today for new puppy, will catch up tomorrow.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1592/65/13/1345335157/n1345335157_30191774_9121.jpg

WOW, what a beauty:p

Jason Lin
12-17-2008, 05:31 AM
What kind of puppy is it? St Bernard?

George Mounce
12-17-2008, 05:38 AM
What kind of puppy is it? St Bernard?

Yes, its funny he is a month younger than my son, but weighs twice as much!

George Mounce
12-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Mid-hang muscle snatch - 75 x 3 x 3
2-position clean (floor, mid-thigh) + 2 jerk (splitted each side) - 105 x 4 sets

10-16-20 reps for time:
KB swings - 30% BW
KB clean + 2 push press (each side) - 30% BW

Used 1.5 pood 11:31

Derek Simonds
12-17-2008, 12:24 PM

I checked out your new blog today. Very nice. Your puppy looks good. Man they grow so fast. Our lab is now over 100 LB's and she isn't quite 2 years old.

Allen Yeh
12-18-2008, 03:48 AM
The recipes are looking good, I erroneously thought when you first posted the link up that it was a blog about frittata's only. ADUH.

George Mounce
12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Front squat - (135 x 3, 145 x 2, 150 x 1) x 3
Snatch pull - 120 x 3 x 3
Rack jerk - start with 1 push jerk + 1 split jerk until you can't push jerk anymore; then drop to split jerk only to a heavy single

3 rounds for time of:
15 KB deadlift high pull - 1.5 pd
20 KB 1-arm snatch - 1 pd

4:45

George Mounce
12-18-2008, 03:23 PM
The recipes are looking good, I erroneously thought when you first posted the link up that it was a blog about frittata's only. ADUH.

Was originally going to be just about them, but I know people like the other ones so I'll post them and any new I make there. But it is still going to be mainly frittatas.

George Mounce
12-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Power snatch - 90 x 2 x 3
Snatch balance - 95 x 2 x 2

5 rounds for time:
8 kipping pull-ups
200 m row

8:01, damn I hate the 10 yards between my rower and pull-up bar

George Mounce
12-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Back from another weekend of flying, looking forward to tomorrow!

George Mounce
12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Back squat - 180 x 3 x 5
Clean deadlift - 210 x 3 x 3
Push press - 110 x 5 x 5
Bent row - 120 x 8 x 3
Weighted sit-ups - 35#x 6 x 3

Felt awesome to be back and push through this one. Squat is nice ATG, hadn't done bent rows in a long time, was fun!

George Mounce
12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Mid-hang muscle snatch - 75 x 3 x 3
2-position snatch (floor, mid-thigh) - 75 x 4 sets

4 rounds for time of:
250 m row
7 x 65# power clean + push press

Time: 7:07

Wow, haven't done snatches like that in a long time, was a great look at my form and technique. Felt good by the time I was done. Weight is a product of still learning form and technique, not so much strength.

George Mounce
12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Front squat - 155 x 3, 165 x 1, 160 x 3, 165 x 1, 160 x 3
Snatch pull - 135 x 3 x 3
Rack jerk - 175; 160 x 1, 150 x 1 x 2

3 rounds for time of:
10 45# halfmoons
10 clapping push-ups

Time: 3:59

Left knee a little sore, looking forward to Christmas off. Going in search of a foam roll during holiday sales.

Chris H Laing
12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Just tried the smoked salmon frittata this morning. Delicious.

George Mounce
12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Just tried the smoked salmon frittata this morning. Delicious.

Glad you liked it!

George Mounce
12-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Power clean - 140 x 2 x 3
Overhead squat - 165, 135 x 2 x 2

3 rounds for time of:
100 m sprint (50m down and back)
15 kipping pull-ups

Time: 4:13

George Mounce
12-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Decided to take today as an extra day of rest. Left ankle and knee acting up. Going to get some neoprene knee covers today. Otherwise feeling great!

George Mounce
12-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Back squat - 185 x 2 x 4
Snatch deadlift - 150 x 2 x 3
Push press - 115 x 4 x 4, 150x1 (wow, I screwed up the math, should have been 150, not 115 but I didn't notice till last set)
Bent row - 125 x 6 x 3
Hanging leg raise - 3 x 15

Felt really good today - 1/2 gallon of milk a day is paying off. Now I really need to decide whether I want to go for 85kg or 94kg weight class.

George Mounce
12-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Day behind, flew yesterday. Will skip Saturdays heavy lifts.

Muscle snatch - 85 x 3 x 3
Power clean + clean + jerk - 125 x 4 sets

20-15-10 reps of:
KB swings - 1.5pd
Kipping pull-ups

Time: 5:23

George Mounce
01-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Front squat - 170 x 3 x 5
Snatch pull - 135 x 2 x 3
Rack jerk - 175x1

No metcon - gone hunting.

Jay Cohen
01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Dude;

Numbers looking good.

Happy New Year.

Jay

George Mounce
01-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Dude;

Numbers looking good.

Happy New Year.

Jay

Thanks, Happy New Year to you!

George Mounce
01-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Rest Day for me....so some lifting goals by the end of 2009.

Snatch - Bodyweight

Clean and Jerk - 1 1/2 Bodyweight

That is it!

Chris H Laing
01-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Half bodyweight???

Chris Salvato
01-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Half bodyweight???

I concur -- wtf?

Snatch to BW would be way harder than C&P to BW, don't you agree?

George Mounce
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Holy crap you guys are all over it, should have been 1.5xbodyweight, and it has been corrected.

George Mounce
01-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Tall snatch - 80 x 3 x 3
Power snatch + snatch - 85 x 4 sets
Snatch balance - Wow, was just going to do 135 and my right shoulder had a huge twinge occur and I lost the weight behind me. Figured kipping pull-ups not a good idea. Going to ice and rest. No metcon.

George Mounce
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Back squat - 200 x 2 x 2
Snatch pull - 145 x 1 x 2
Press - 145 x 4 x 4
Weighted GHD sit-ups - 3 x 10 (35#)
Russian twists - 3 x 20 (20#)

Another great feeling day. Shoulder feels good today, glad I iced and rested.

George Mounce
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Muscle snatch - 95 x 3 x 3
Clean + push jerk + hang clean + jerk - 120 x 3 sets

3 round for time of:
200m row
20 KB swings (1.5p)

Time: 4:39

Pouring rain so did this inside metcon.

George Mounce
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Front squat - 195 x 1 (must be getting stronger, this felt easy)
Rack jerk - 155 x 1 x 3

3 rounds for time of:
400 m row
10 box jumps
5 clapping push-ups

Time: 6:12

Worst day ever. Hydroplaned my car into a ditch into 5' of water, had to get out of a rear door before I was flooded in. Front 1/2 of the car went under. Looks like its going to be a total loss.

Lifting on the other hand felt great, course I had plenty of adrenaline built up over the course of the day.

Allen Yeh
01-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Damn man, you're ok right?

Kevin Perry
01-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Sounds like you had quite a day there.

George Mounce
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Snatch balance + 2 overhead squats - 85 x 3 sets
Tall snatch - 50 x 2 x 3
Pull-ups - 3 x max (24,16,10)
Hanging leg raises - 3 x 15

No word on car.

George Mounce
01-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Rest day today. Sore and worn out. Flew only once today. Going to bed and I'm not getting up for 10 hours. I think the 2 hours of Guitar Hero sapped my remaining energy.

George Mounce
01-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Snatch - 135
Clean and Jerk - 155 (quit during warmup pulls)

I just not feeling it today. Felt like crap all day, don't know if its a virus or what, my mind wasn't into the lifts. I failed on my first attempt at 135 (got the second) and the bar barely cleared my waist in height...I knew something was wrong at that point. Perhaps I need more rest.

George Mounce
01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Weird how things work...just got a phone call. Old buddy of mine who reads my stuff. Knew I did CF, and wants to challenge me later this year to a 1v1 CF challenge of sorts. Looks like I may have a paradigm shift coming in my training.

George Mounce
01-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Going to end this log. I'll still be around the boards and available via email/PM. Going to give http://beyondthewhiteboard.com/home my logging business for awhile. I like what they are doing and it gives a good representation of progress.