PDA

View Full Version : Coach Sommer, new book

Steve Forman
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Have you guys seen this one, Does anyone have any experience with Coach Sommer

http://gymnasticbodies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=52&osCsid=tit6oojpjh043hl94ib2gkhr40

Steve

Frank Needham
09-23-2008, 03:21 PM
The long awaited book that I've been hearing about for nearly two years. Others have been hearing of it for much longer. It should be interesting when Coach actually puts it out. He has a good rep from what I know.

Valentin Uzunov
09-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Coach Sommer is knows on the net as a strength and conditioning guru so to speak. Ontop of that he must also be a pretty darn good coach since he has members on the US Jnr National team.
These books and DVD's have certainly been highly anticipated. I would recommend them to anyone really who is into stregth training and gymnastics.

Garrett Smith
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
The book and DVD are on my birthday list!

Patrick Donnelly
09-23-2008, 06:20 PM

For when you hit the big eight-oh?

I'll believe they're out when the first copies ship.

George Mounce
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
One thing is I'm confused at the picture on the front of it - I had posted this on the CF forums, and probably caught crap because of what I said.

I'm about 100% sure the "body" part of it will be a book bought by many people that just won't do it for anything other than the look. My point is who cares about look - but the advertising seems to try to hit on how you look, rather than the strength and power those athletes develop. Bad advertising, good book. I'm very interested to see how much of it focuses on any lower body development as far as strength goes. I can do flips and tumble without any strength training whatsoever, and all of the other things really focus on upper body type movements. Maybe I'm completely wrong (4 years of gymnastics when I was younger, and did no lower body stuff).

Steven Low
09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
I preordered.

You'll be one of the first to see it Patrick. I'll bring it in when I get it.

If I don't need it I may donate it to Gymkana.

Garrett Smith
09-24-2008, 06:33 AM
George,
You won't catch any crap here, but humans are a very vain species. No matter how many different ways we try to sugarcoat and deny our motives, nearly everything we do is an attempt to ensure our genes get passed on. Ross E just wrote a blog about this subject (vanity and training):

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2008/09/22/what-if-exercise-made-you-ugly/

Steven Low
09-24-2008, 07:33 AM
George,
You won't catch any crap here, but humans are a very vain species. No matter how many different ways we try to sugarcoat and deny our motives, nearly everything we do is an attempt to ensure our genes get passed on. Ross E just wrote a blog about this subject (vanity and training):

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2008/09/22/what-if-exercise-made-you-ugly/
Good blog by Ross. It is indeed true.

Grissim Connery
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
this is what i've been waiting for. i gotta start prepping more before it comes out. i've gotta start walking between classes on my hands.

Philip Stablein
09-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Same!

I'll have my copy by the time I get back to UMD...but I think Steven will beat me there...

Steven Low
09-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Philip: you go to UMCP as well? :p

Jaime Steele
09-25-2008, 01:52 AM
ordered... As i've never done any gynmastics before this should be fun!

Jesse Woody
09-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Steve, before you give it away, bring it by Primal!

Chris Salvato
12-12-2008, 05:24 PM
I am having a hard time ordering. Getting errors that their paypal account sucks then that the PW they provide me is wrong and keep requesting new ones. Anyone else have similar problems?

Blair Lowe
12-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Have you tried emailing coach sommers about this? He is fairly quick about responding to inquiries.

George, though this is an old thread, most of the book touches on laying a foundation of leg strength. I'm sure there will be more interesting drills when it comes to the book on dynamic strength ( which is no.5[?])

For doing a basic front tuck salto on floor, most of the girl's only have a vertical of about 12-15" which is roughly 20-25% of their height. Nothing impressive. Even the girls doing a back tuck out of connected back handsprings ( with good form, not cheer form ) are probably around this 20-25% ratio and it only takes about that much vertical to do a standing back flip.

Same goes for the boys who have similar skills.

I'm pretty sure Charlie Tamayo ( who is very close to a standing double back ) has a pretty insane vert height. He can actually do it if he lands in a mat in pit. I've only heard of a handful of people being able to do this.

You don't need a lot of leg strength unless you're doing some monster vaulting or tumbling and the finer technique you have, the less power you need unless you're doing double fronts off vault or triple backs on floor.

George Mounce
01-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Just got the book, I feel cheated out of my money. This is horrid for one volume what I paid for. I let Coach Sommer know I want my money back.

Garrett Smith
01-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Seriously, George? I had only heard good things so far from others.

Chris H Laing
01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
I have to disagree with you George. I think the programming section alone is worth the price.

Steven Low
01-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I have to disagree with you George. I think the programming section alone is worth the price.
Meh, I thought the programming section was the worst part. Well, I could understand it, but it seems most people didn't.

Kevin Perry
01-31-2009, 09:31 PM
I can understand George's point of view. I enjoyed the book only because I have nothing in my library on gymnastics but I was confused by the layout of volumes and at one point thought that the book was just one out of a number of future volumes which confused me.

The programming section is fairly vague and there is probably a lot that could have been included in this section especially for those not familiar with the Gymnastics Rhetoric.

It's a good book for a collection of the exercises and their progressions but like i said before it's is vague in piecing these together into a solid program especially for those new to this type of training.

Chris H Laing
02-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I find it weird that people think the programming section is vague. I found it very easy to lay out a program based on the information in a book, and I'm making pretty good progress with it.

Jason Tanner
02-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I concur with Chris. When I actually read through the entire programming I felt pretty comfortable with it.

George Mounce
02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
My issue isn't with the programming. My issue is it takes only to page 6 to find that you'd have to pay out the wazzu for the entire program (and another whole book on doing...handstands?). I'm sorry but 5 volumes at $44+shipping doesn't make it great. I would have liked an entire program, but maybe my lack of knowledge about gymnastics (at least according to Coach Sommer who likes to tell me I have a lack of knowledge about gymnastics) is to blame.

I would have like to have seen an inclusive $100 book versus 5 x $44 books.

I can find things like:
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Hoffman/YorkHandBalance/yorkhb.htm, and even the posts like this (http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=892) on his forum better than what I spent.

Heck the Navy guide to gymnastics and tumbling (http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/30_05_gym_and_tumb.pdf) I downloaded from the CF website (the link to the whole book is at the bottom of the PDF) is an invaluable resource.

Sorry to be the lone voice here, but I stand by my opinion.

Kevin Perry
02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd have to agree with you on that one George.

Chris H Laing
02-02-2009, 06:16 PM
My issue is it takes only to page 6 to find that you'd have to pay out the wazzu for the entire program

Haha the guys gotta make a buck somehow :D Honestly I would have liked if the price was slightly less steep, but the thing is that he can charge that much because people (me included) are still willing to pay that much for what he has to offer.

(and another whole book on doing...handstands?)

I actually like this about the series, because the handstand is such an integral part in any gymnastics program. I have been spending a lot of time working handstands lately, and am finding very little progress because I do not have either access to a coach or the resources to pay for one, so I'm looking forward to a book dedicated to handstand training.

but maybe my lack of knowledge about gymnastics (at least according to Coach Sommer who likes to tell me I have a lack of knowledge about gymnastics) is to blame.

I think he's trying to say that you haven't been trained by and training olympic caliber gymnasts, so there might be some points of their training that are lost on everyone without 15 years of gymnastics.

And all those resources you listed are good, but they are free for a reason. None of them are very comprehensive, and none address the basic strength exercises sommer shows in his book, or the ways to progress to them (except for the link to coach sommers stuff, but he had to keep people satiated til the book came out).

Garrett Smith
02-03-2009, 05:14 AM
Heck, I'm still working with all the free stuff Coach Sommer put out (and is still coming out with on his forum and YouTube). The free stuff has been really great IMO.

I want the book, but I don't see "needing" it for a long time--due to $$, my time available for gymnastics training, and the great help that I can find here and on GB.com .

John Filippini
02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I can see how people might be a little disappointed with the books if they were getting them looking for a ton of novel information that they couldn't get elsewhere.

I find the book valuable because it offers a one-stop-shop reference guide to basic gymnastics skills that you can take with you to the gym. I'm sure for each of the other books it'll be the same. The fact that there are a number of books doesn't surprise me because of the sheer volume and diversity of gymnastics training. It is true however that you can find pretty much all or most of the information for free elsewhere on the internet, including his own site.

Also, I like the compartmentalization of the books because I'll only pay for what I can do. I'm realistic that if I want to work heavily on both oly lifting and gymnastics, I may never really have any use for the advanced ring book or the dynamic book -- I probably will just never get to the skill level necessary for those volumes.

Blair Lowe
02-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Your lack about what gymnastics is and how complicated it is...is to blame. It all might be your true interest in incorporating gymnastics into whatever you do. It's not like many people truly care and in general they just take bits and pieces and incorporate it into what they do.

Modern day gymnastics is far more complicated than barbell lifting and olympic lifting. Look at how many events there are, how many moves there are, and for each move there are countless drills.

Hand-balancing is an entire art of it's own. Very few gymnasts can compete their handstands with an expert hand balancer.

The Navy guide to gymnastics and tumbling is invaluable. Still, it's varied as far as content usefulness when it comes to modern day gymnastics. Remember, I'm a gymnastics coach and old stuff is great ( I have an awesome near 300 page book on gymnastics from the early 70's but it doesn't cover a lot of modern stuff or it's training ) but it's not necessarily relevant nor is that book is thorough for mastery of certain elements ( I don't remember seeing it go into developing planche, lever, manna, etc )

It does not fit in the bill in developing proper basics for many of the movements and many of the CFJ articles by Roger Harrell do a better job. or the current gymnastics seminars or certs.

Of most of the current material about modern gymnastics and developing skills in it, nothing is as complete. Most of the material out there has to do with skill building and training with bits and pieces here or there as supplemental work such as training HSPU for developing proper upper body strength towards back handsprings. Some of it will state, do L-sits...voila or practice that and show it.

Many current series on gymnastics on DVD cost much more and are still cheaper than say DVD sets on martial arts ( which are sometimes a crock and just marketing ).

Seriously, it might take 300 pages to write on everything about one event in gymnastics in details ( especially when explaining the physics and biomechanics ). It will bore you to death or fry neurons if you let it. How many publishers want to print a 1000 page book on gymnastics. How much longer would it have taken to get to market. It was already much delayed and Sommer probably pissed a lot of people in how long it took to get to market from when it was originally announced.

BtGB, being the first book and the master volume is going to be bigger than the 4 book coming after. Think of BtGB as the master volume and the rest as modules. Size and price should be smaller and the next two books are going to be released simultaneously.

To end, Coach Sommer is always presenting his materials in a similar format he has seen before him by Pavel and others. Book A for BB lifts, book B for BW exercises, book C for stretching, book D for the list goes on. I'm sure Staley and others have done so as well.

jake oleander
02-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Ill probably buy them all at once when theyre all out.
Like everyone else I don't really need them, but I collect books and enjoy training, so its inevitable that I will end up wanting all (5?) volumes.
Its something you will have forever and will be useful to have as a reference not only for yourself but for anyone interested in any form of gymnastics training.