PDA

View Full Version : Interesting - Have you seen this? Pseudo Atlas Stone

Kris Reeves
09-24-2008, 06:52 AM
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2640

I happened to see this the other day while browsing the EliteFTS site. It's an interesting idea that I would've never thought of. Anyway, I have an IronMind loading pin (which is essentially the same thing they're selling) and decided to try a little bit of 'stone' work for fun.

Now, I've never lifted a real atlas stone, but I have to say this was a pretty fun/different thing to throw in as a finisher for variation.

Just thought I'd throw this out here in case someone missed it. As well, I think you could do a really cheap homemade version with a 14-16" piece of 2" piece of PVC and using a clamp on both ends...

Derek Simonds
09-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Leo over at www.crossfitevolution.com made some by taking apart an old barbell and just using the sleeves. Works great and we were talking about the practical application of using them this weekend.

Dave Van Skike
09-24-2008, 11:04 AM
the pick off the floor is probably very similar, I have an old round style keg that i use as a trainer, it's nasty to grab hold of. The load portion of the lift is way too different. Most people would get more out of a big sandbag. if you try it, i'd use bumper and not steel plates, you will get some naaaaasty forearm pinches.

David Tieu
09-30-2008, 07:42 PM
much love to elitefts, but they make a killing off of the most simple bullshit

just get a footer and a flange and put the dang thing together. save the barbell for the lifting. will cost you less than 5 bucks.

Kris Reeves
10-01-2008, 06:32 AM
I agree. Elite is WAAAAY overpriced, but I've just been using a loading pin.

Jacob Rowell
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I've done this with an old barbell sleeve as Derek described. Not too bad, but certainly different than a stone. I guess it doesn't have to be exactly the same to get the training effect though.

As Dave described, a big sandbag works nicely. I've made a "hard", round sandbag out of layers of duct tape and canvas. It's in some ways harder to pick than a stone. But again, nothing quite compares to loading a stone. There's a very distinct feeling rolling a 230# stone up your body. Not a lot of weight, but it feels goood.

Dave Van Skike
10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I've made a "hard", round sandbag out of layers of duct tape and canvas. It's in some ways harder to pick than a stone.

Smart. I'm going to try that.

Another way to get a tight sandbag is to add a bunch of used up tennis balls to individual sandbags inside of the larger shell. They take up space and allow you to use a full size duffle without it exceeding 250-300 pounds. that said, a bunch of used up tennis balls can still cost money unless you're a thief or a tennis player.

Jacob Rowell
10-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I prefer the thief route.

There's some nearby tennis courts with an adjacent field that is constantly full of tennis balls. It's calling my name.

Derek Simonds
10-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Smart. I'm going to try that.

Another way to get a tight sandbag is to add a bunch of used up tennis balls to individual sandbags inside of the larger shell. They take up space and allow you to use a full size duffle without it exceeding 250-300 pounds. that said, a bunch of used up tennis balls can still cost money unless you're a thief or a tennis player.

Brilliant idea. That is the biggest problem I have with duffel bags they are just too floppy. Somebody was just selling hundreds of tennis balls on craigslist I am going to go see if I can find it again.