PDA

View Full Version : Fitness as just a hobby

ErikHutson
09-26-2008, 02:27 AM
I like to workout and am going to be doing some BJJ soon because ive always wanted to learn a MA. Now I really dont have any goals rather then to just to be in good shape and do something fun. I dont play sports other then with friends for fun.

I was thinking of doing crossfit because of my goals to just be in good overall shape and have around 10% bf, I dont want huge muscles or lift a ton of weight (im happy with 2x my bw), I just want to be in shape to be able to do fun things as they come and crossfit seems like a fun way to stay in shape and continue to improve as Im currently getting bored of the gym.

Would I benefit from this based on my goals?

George Mounce
09-26-2008, 04:19 AM
You definitely wouldn't be bored, and you'll be in great shape with CrossFit.

I'm currently doing the Olympic Weightlifting basic program with CrossFit-based WODs twice a week. I'm definitely not bored, and I look forward to the strength gains.

John Schneider
09-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Yes, I think CrossFit will meet your needs, but be warned, your concept of "good overall shape" may change and you may start to want 2.5x body weight then 3x. But you will have fun and you will see results.

ErikHutson
09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
excellent, thanks for the responses Im looking forward to starting it this weekend

Derek Weaver
09-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Definitely suggest CF 2-3x/week. Trying to follow it with the 3/1 schedule and BJJ will likely lead to burn out.

Curious though, when you say "lift" 2x BW, which lift are we talking?

ErikHutson
09-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Definitely suggest CF 2-3x/week. Trying to follow it with the 3/1 schedule and BJJ will likely lead to burn out.

Curious though, when you say "lift" 2x BW, which lift are we talking?

When I start BJJ which is hopefully by the end of the year I'll adjust it according to my bjj schedule so I dont burn out.

As far as lifting, pretty much being able to squat, deadlift, do pullups, alot of the lifts in crossfit I dont have any experience with so im looking for good gains with those also. Im really hoping to be able to do pullups as currently thats my biggest struggle as Im barely able to do any and ive always wanted to do them. When I mean lift I pretty much just mean if im in trouble or someone needs help with something I wont have trouble lifting or pulling something that weights more then I do when I reach my goal weight which is around 165-175 as im 5'9 and weight about 240.

Steven Low
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Go for it.

If you wanna do lifting + fitness then you might wanna try MEBB or something like Gant's hybrid.

ErikHutson
09-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Right now I'm just interested in what crossfit has to offer, if I find my self searching for more lifting then I'll look up a hybrid workout, thanks for all the replies!